St. Joseph Communications Employee Reviews in Canada

Nope...
Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONMarch 7, 2016
If you're even thinking about it, don't. The only advancement here comes if you marry within the company. Nepotism is king. Everyone else is underpaid, under-appreciated & under-valued.
Pros
None that come to mind
Cons
Lots of them
Family owned with lots of infighting, good people with big hearts but unable to manage effectively
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 4, 2015
Family owned business operating a large national print and media company. Three brothers manage the primary operations and a few brothers and sisters play other roles in the company. Lots of family working there through senior managers and sales. EVP of sales has his whole family working there as senior managers.

Operations are well run with good quality product and good staff.

Owners have done well for themselves and are not hurting financially, but they have not given any raises or bonuses in at least a dozen years on the print side. They have stopped any pension plan and have reduced other benefits throughout the organization.

I would not recommend that you leave another job to come work on the print side. I hear good things about Content and Magazines side of the business with good people managing it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Lack of decision making and proper equipment.
Art Director, Manager, Creative Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2014
I enjoyed the work at St. Joseph's.
I gained more retail experience in this position.
Pros
great people
Cons
tough client
Productive and stimulating workplace.
Executive Assistant to the CEO (contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2014
A typical day at work for St. Joseph Communications, Media Group involves booking meetings, flights and other services. On any given day, I will be asked to assist the finance department with various projects. I also act as office manager, typically re-stocking any office supplies and up-keeping cleanliness and appearance around the office. I have learned about magazine publications and the busy/demanding schedule that ensues with this type of company. I have learned that working for a well established company is extremely rewarding. My co-workers and I have common goals and always have my best interest in mind. I have made many friends within the office as it is a friendly and welcoming environment. The hardest part of the job is being able to properly multi-task while producing quality results. None the less, with hard work this is easily achievable. The most enjoyable part of the job is management. They treat all employee's with respect and provide positive feedback often.
Pros
free lunches, flexibility with hours, understanding, fun work environment, friendly people, beautiful building
Cons
location (if you do not live in the downtown toronto core)
Great people to work with, satisfaction meeting deadlines.
Site Supervisor/Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Most difficult part of my job was working with outdated equipment and software. Most satisfying part was meeting our clients' needs above their expectations.
Pros
wonderful coworkers
Cons
no remuneration
Pay rate is not the greatest, its hard to survive working on low income.
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 27, 2013
The company can do better in certain areas. There needs to be more management employee interaction .
Pros
There no pro's
Cons
Low salary
Family owned and you don't forget it
account director (Former Employee) –  toronto, onSeptember 30, 2013
The day you're hired you think this is amazing. I'll work hard, advance and make great money. You work hard but mostly at battling internally to get the actual job done. Everyone wants to save themselves as layoffs are almost monthly in the content division. President of that division's son, SIL and the VP's niece work there and one of them is the head of sales. She alone is a labor lawyer's dream and the company's lawyer's nightmare.
Pros
decent benefits and great work/life
Cons
just about everything else
An ok company to work for.
Print Coordinator (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 25, 2013
Normal day at work
Learn to do Billing and brokeage
Management is ok sometimes
Great staffing
Telephone and Processing Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 22, 2013
St Joseph is a great place to work while you're in school only because there's no advancement career wise.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no career advance