St John Ambulance Employee Reviews

Management are not on the same page
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 August 2017
Detailed record keeping was not happening. Hopefully with new technology and new management things have changed. Unrealistic expectations and time frame.
part time
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK14 August 2017
no recognition for performance , managers not helpful, isolated by location no support for training , no incentives for training advancement , old outdated equiptment
Pros
work alone
Cons
micromanager manager
Great Volunteer Experiences
Volunteer Outreach Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 June 2017
A typical day at St.Johns Ambulance consists of 2 hours of learning, whether it is hands on/practical experience or its watching videos/ powerpoints. You learn a lot about first aid.
Pros
Free lunch
Set Your Own Hours
FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 May 2017
Instructors determine how much they want to teach and when(day time, evening or weekend courses). Have branches and other teaching locations throughout the Peel/Dufferin region .
Volunteer Role
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
This is a volunteer role. You basically get out of it what you put into it. This includes training, teaching, offering up your skills and learning. The more you do, the better you feel.
Pros
Too many to identify
Cons
Nice facility, easy access with parking.
First Aid Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2017
New building built in the NE Calgary. Very clean with lots of room for conduct practical exercises. Plenty of parking for instructors. Classrooms are set up with computers and large screens.
Great experience.
First Aid Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON30 March 2017
Saint John Ambulance is a great experience for children. I volunteered in the youth group. We were given free courses, and got to go on outings with real MFR's.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Boring classroom
Great People!
First Aid and Health Care Provider Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2017
Fellow instructors demonstrate sincere interest and willingness to aid in the development of lesson plans to teach life-saving skills. A fun, dynamic & positive work environment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low wages.
Great first job.
Maintenance and Cleaning Contractor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 January 2017
Multi-tasking position that required numerous positions to be filled in this twenty table bistro, including dishwashing, kitchen organization, and helping to maintain the restaurant's cleanliness and overall functionality
great place
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2016
worked here for almost 10 years now and still enjoy coming to work when i teach. great people and great instructors. not alot of mentoring but, still a great place to be.
Its Productive, and its fun to work with, people around here are so friendly
Glazier, Glass Finishing Machine Operator, (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB. Ca.17 September 2016
I've learned a lot of things while working in this company, the management are great, they introduce me very in work environment, they train me very well. About my co-workers, they were so friendly and helpful, we are watching each others back. and about the hardest part of the job is for me of course at first its kinda hard a little bit to memorize everything but as I've said if you have good people around you and train you well, you can conquer almost everything.
and for me the most enjoyable part of the job is first you must love your job, you must love what you're doing, enjoy it and brace it..
Mind numbingly boring
Instructors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 July 2016
If you enjoy doing nothing for a summer job and getting paid to do so, then this is the job for you.

The Management for the Peterborough, Ontario St.John's is an absolute joke. In the job posting they put you will be able to work on your energency response, however the only time emergency response was used they didn't seem to care about that and wanted only to stick to the current task at hand, which was handing out pamphlets. The management also talks to you in a condescending tone. I would never recommend anybody to use St Johns services. They also give you fake job titles in order to recieve the government funding.
Great experience
ADVANCED MEDICAL FIRST RESPONDER (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 April 2016
This is how I got my start on the road to being a paramedic. I've had many good times with St. john's Ambulance and memories that will last a lifetime.
Exciting and skill building work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 February 2016
St Johnn ambulance is about helping people and that trait does not stager from their attitude towards their volunteers. This a welcoming environment and full of knowledge development.
this is a volunteer position and as such I enjoy the interaction with patients and staff alike
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  mississauga, Credit Valley Hospital29 January 2016
I take my dog Scout around to patients in oncology, nephrology and long term care. I spend as much time as is indicated by the patients.
I spend approximately 2-2.5 hours at Credit Valley Hospital.
I enjoy my visits very much as I am allowed to interact with the patients and sometimes the staff to provide comfort to the patients and I get to know them which is wonderful.
This pet therapy volunteer position: keeps my client relations and communication skills sharp as well as building a rapport with the staff.
Pros
providing comfort to patients
Cons
no cons
Hostile work environment
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 December 2015
Don't waste your time here, overly involved "Directors" and "CEO" fancy themselves as working class hero's when in fact they all contribute to a very hostile work environment. Zero integrity here, poor first aid classes and services, good AED lineup but more money then the competition. Very low pay with an employee base that is terrified of loosing their jobs = a difficult existence for them, not much in the way of enjoyment at SJA. Finally, I was offered a "Directors" position which was really nothing more than a low level managers job, that's not the rub, they lied about the position and the compensation package AFTER I verbally agreed to the job and told the other potential employers I was off the market. VERY shady and NO ethics or integrity. Very poor, untrained management and "CEO", go elsewhere or stay on EI, it's not worth the hassle.
Pros
Cons
Very low pay, no ethics, all lies
A dedicated group of volunteers gioving a great amount of public service to their communities each year.
First Aid Attendant - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC12 November 2015
As a long time member, I am very proud of our history, our current service and what we aim to accomplish in the future. Members strive to do their best and take seriously their various roles. As with any service organization, your level of involvement determines your level of satisfaction.
The working environment can be highly stressful, but there is ample social interaction as well. I have made life long, supportive relationships within the SJA community.
Pros
Satisfaction in helping others.
Cons
Not always recognized for our high level of training by the public.
Nationally recognized as the best in the industry!
First Aid / CPR Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC12 November 2015
The organization is very committed to enabling Canadians to improve their health, safety and quality of life, by providing training and community service.
Pros
As an instructor, meeting new people in each class with differing skill levels.
Cons
As an instructor, lack of benefits, as you are a contractor, not staff.
Good Volounteer Experience
Medical first responder (Current Employee) –  British Columbia1 November 2015
SJA is a great to earn medical experience. Whether you're a stay at home mom, paramedic, a medical doctor or anything in between we provide a great environment to learn and grow both personally and professionally. We provide first aid at community, public and private events which mostly consists of bandaids and ankle wraps but once in a while we have an event that challenges our advanced first aid skills. We practice our first aid skills weekly to keep them fresh. And we train and respond for declared disasters.
Continues Education
Medical First Responder (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC25 October 2015
With the continues training provided by St John Ambulance I feel confident in managing any emergency situation.

During events in 2015 involved in more then 60 treatments of patients involving patient assessments, splinting and or wound management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St John Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9