St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance Employee Reviews

Its Productive, and its fun to work with, people around here are so friendly
Glazier, Glass Finishing Machine Operator, (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB. Ca.17 September 2016
I've learned a lot of things while working in this company, the management are great, they introduce me very in work environment, they train me very well. About my co-workers, they were so friendly and helpful, we are watching each others back. and about the hardest part of the job is for me of course at first its kinda hard a little bit to memorize everything but as I've said if you have good people around you and train you well, you can conquer almost everything.
and for me the most enjoyable part of the job is first you must love your job, you must love what you're doing, enjoy it and brace it..
Hostile work environment
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 December 2015
Don't waste your time here, overly involved "Directors" and "CEO" fancy themselves as working class hero's when in fact they all contribute to a very hostile work environment. Zero integrity here, poor first aid classes and services, good AED lineup but more money then the competition. Very low pay with an employee base that is terrified of loosing their jobs = a difficult existence for them, not much in the way of enjoyment at SJA. Finally, I was offered a "Directors" position which was really nothing more than a low level managers job, that's not the rub, they lied about the position and the compensation package AFTER I verbally agreed to the job and told the other potential employers I was off the market. VERY shady and NO ethics or integrity. Very poor, untrained management and "CEO", go elsewhere or stay on EI, it's not worth the hassle.
Pros
Cons
Very low pay, no ethics, all lies
Mind numbingly boring
Instructors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 July 2016
If you enjoy doing nothing for a summer job and getting paid to do so, then this is the job for you.

The Management for the Peterborough, Ontario St.John's is an absolute joke. In the job posting they put you will be able to work on your energency response, however the only time emergency response was used they didn't seem to care about that and wanted only to stick to the current task at hand, which was handing out pamphlets. The management also talks to you in a condescending tone. I would never recommend anybody to use St Johns services. They also give you fake job titles in order to recieve the government funding.
Great first job.
Maintenance and Cleaning Contractor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 January 2017
Multi-tasking position that required numerous positions to be filled in this twenty table bistro, including dishwashing, kitchen organization, and helping to maintain the restaurant's cleanliness and overall functionality
great place
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2016
worked here for almost 10 years now and still enjoy coming to work when i teach. great people and great instructors. not alot of mentoring but, still a great place to be.
Nationally recognized as the best in the industry!
First Aid / CPR Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC12 November 2015
The organization is very committed to enabling Canadians to improve their health, safety and quality of life, by providing training and community service.
Pros
As an instructor, meeting new people in each class with differing skill levels.
Cons
As an instructor, lack of benefits, as you are a contractor, not staff.
this is a volunteer position and as such I enjoy the interaction with patients and staff alike
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  mississauga, Credit Valley Hospital29 January 2016
I take my dog Scout around to patients in oncology, nephrology and long term care. I spend as much time as is indicated by the patients.
I spend approximately 2-2.5 hours at Credit Valley Hospital.
I enjoy my visits very much as I am allowed to interact with the patients and sometimes the staff to provide comfort to the patients and I get to know them which is wonderful.
This pet therapy volunteer position: keeps my client relations and communication skills sharp as well as building a rapport with the staff.
Pros
providing comfort to patients
Cons
no cons
LUEFRT Summary
Director, Personnel Coordinator, Responder (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 April 2013
This was a medical response team, medical emergencies were the typical day of work.

I learned a exceptional amount of information in order to conduct my job responsibilities. As I was management I have no comment for this. My coworkers were flexible and in relation to management I always received good reviews from the members of the team.

I enjoy medical situations as it very much is a situation where your actions directly help and can on occasion save a person's life.

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part, the ability to help a person is the most enjoyable, having this ability and still being unable to help someone is the hardest. Long hours can also get to you as well. The training required to be a medical responder is not easy either.
Great experience
ADVANCED MEDICAL FIRST RESPONDER (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 April 2016
This is how I got my start on the road to being a paramedic. I've had many good times with St. john's Ambulance and memories that will last a lifetime.
A dedicated group of volunteers gioving a great amount of public service to their communities each year.
First Aid Attendant - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC12 November 2015
As a long time member, I am very proud of our history, our current service and what we aim to accomplish in the future. Members strive to do their best and take seriously their various roles. As with any service organization, your level of involvement determines your level of satisfaction.
The working environment can be highly stressful, but there is ample social interaction as well. I have made life long, supportive relationships within the SJA community.
Pros
Satisfaction in helping others.
Cons
Not always recognized for our high level of training by the public.
Exciting and skill building work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 February 2016
St Johnn ambulance is about helping people and that trait does not stager from their attitude towards their volunteers. This a welcoming environment and full of knowledge development.
Good Volounteer Experience
Medical first responder (Current Employee) –  British Columbia1 November 2015
SJA is a great to earn medical experience. Whether you're a stay at home mom, paramedic, a medical doctor or anything in between we provide a great environment to learn and grow both personally and professionally. We provide first aid at community, public and private events which mostly consists of bandaids and ankle wraps but once in a while we have an event that challenges our advanced first aid skills. We practice our first aid skills weekly to keep them fresh. And we train and respond for declared disasters.
Continues Education
Medical First Responder (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC25 October 2015
With the continues training provided by St John Ambulance I feel confident in managing any emergency situation.

During events in 2015 involved in more then 60 treatments of patients involving patient assessments, splinting and or wound management
Horrible place to work
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC21 January 2015
I was employed with what I thought was a great organization, the office staff was cold, unwelcoming and unable to train you or spend any time wanting to. Mean to customers and staff, very unprofessional and when you spoke up or made suggestions you were not spoken to at all. The instructors were great, but current office staff are nasty to and about them as well as other members of the office ,and very unsupportive. Very bad management, no help, communication, backup, training,listening,working as a team,Unless your a friend then all is well.
Pros
Good instructors
Cons
No help or back up from H/O when there are management issues.
Productive fun staff, legacy of volunteer politics
Community Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2015
Staff and management were hardworking and fun. It was a wonderful working environment in the office. A legacy of volunteer politics made most efforts to effect positive change very difficult. The tail wags the dog.
Fun and rewarding challenge
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kamloops and Vernon18 December 2014
I am a first aid instructor so for me a typical day involves teaching one of the many classes we provide.

I learn a bit about how people learn and what it is like to be an instructor. However, for me personally, I am constantly learning ways put the most information into people and keep examples interesting in ways I think my students will absorb.

I very rarely deal with co-workers because there is no team team; kinda makes me sad because I'm such a social person.

the hardest part of my job is dealing with, what from where I'm sitting, seems like excessive red tape.

The most enjoyable part of my job handing out a certificate to someone knowing I enabled them to save lives in their future travels.
Pros
Keeps me up to date on First Aid
Cons
Not enough hours
Great way meet people and make a difference in the community.
Office Administrator/ Acct (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC6 July 2012
Never a dull moment! Always something new, fun, challenging, stressful,.... customer service related issues and always found a way to solve them. Building friendships and relationships with the clients and volunteers was amazing!
I learned what it's like to be part of a community.
I enjoyed working there beyond words!
The hardest part was leaving......
Management was ok.....supportive and fun to work with
Very large organization with administrative issues.
First Aid Attendant/ Instructor (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC18 November 2014
The St. John organization has been instrumental in both my personal and professional development.
It is through this organization I have developed my instructional capabilities.
In order to manage any organization of this size there will always be problems that arise due to it's sheer size. For the most part they have capable and adept people in place there that rise to meet all of the challenges.
The current Branch Manager I am working for is very good in that position.
Over the course of my time there I have been fortunate to develop several true friendships and everyone has a very positive attitude.
As for what the hardest part of the job is and what the most enjoyable part of the job is, they are both connected.
Having to deal with the public can sometimes be difficult, but on the flip side of the coin that is where the most job satisfaction comes from. Connecting with people and delivering to them the skill sets necessary to save lives is very stimulating and fulfilling.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Low renumeration
Fast Paced, Fun Co-workers, Good work/life balance!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 October 2012
Typical office duties include filing, mail in-out, switchboard, customer bookings/questions/dispute handling, cleaning/setting up equipment for classrooms, directly report to supervisor. Good work/life balance.
Pros
good hours
St. John Ambulance
First Aid Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 September 2015
Arrive early, set up your teacher's kit
Teach first aid,be knowledgeable and prepared to teach all ages and ability levels. Be caring and compassionate. I love my work. I just wish there was more of it
Pros
good work if you can get it.
Cons
good work if you can get it.

2.9