SSP Canada Employee Reviews

management issues, lack of direction, huge turnover rate, unprofessional supervisors
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 June 2017
Worked for Monk's Grill for years, we were one of the pioneers who opened this restaurant. People do come and go. Some did stay but for aspiring cooks or servers, stay away. Been given alot of empty promises. All they care about is making money and not the employees who helps them make it. Stay away.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Dragging co-workers, unprofessional managers, poor work/life balance
environement agrealble
Multi-unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 June 2017
Responsable de l’embauche, de la formation et de coacher les adjoints, chefs de quart et employés
Veiller à ce que les normes, procédures et objectifs soient atteints
Voir au respect des normes de préparation, de livraison, de fraicheur et de qualité des produits alimentaires
Prendre en charge le service clientèle en prêchant par l’exemple
Prendre une part active aux opérations journalières
S’assurer que l’environnement de travail soit sécuritaire
S'assurer que les inventaires sont mesurés et entretenus conformément aux politiques de l’entreprise
Assurer une bonne exploitation du restaurant
Faire la gestion des différents comptes et fournisseurs
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 April 2017
A typical work day requires food preparations and cleaning of the restaurant.
helping and interacting with airport passenger is the most enjoyable part of the job
High-strung restaurant job
Préposé au service alimentaire (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 February 2017
A typical day at work: arrive, sign in, put cash in after waiting possibly an hour for a manager or team leader to show up, serve clients, replace empty or old food, rearrange "grab and go", operate cash register, clean dishes/ any surfaces. Go for a half hour lunch break, and back to work. Hours very often go over designated shift times.. we close when we close, it's not like we can leave at 9 on the dot and leave a mess. We often finish closer to 10, 10:30. It's very fast-paced and high-stress, always moving and rushing and thinking of a million things at once.

Management is fluid. Some managers are great whereas the majority look down on you and talk to you very condescendingly, very passive-aggressively. They don't seem to realize we're humans, often telling us to do one thing after the other, even if we're not finished the first ten things they told us to do.

The people are mostly miserable and when the topic of leaving comes up, most say they're not going to last a year at all or that they're planning to leave soon.

The hardest part of the job is the very fast pace that occurs at the airport, which of course is unavoidable when working in that environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. Most are very friendly and we seem to bond over our shared pain. I've made quite a few friends here and I am not looking forward to the day I will have to leave them.
Pros
50% off one meal a day, fun people
Cons
long hours, rushes, exigent managers
great atmosphere
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON16 November 2016
Great benefits and overall SSP has prompt managers. Working at the airport, the company has provided a clean environment with safety guidelines that are easy to follow.
productive and fun workplace, ipportunities to meet alot of people from different cultures/ethnicities
Counter Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON4 October 2016
a typical day at work consist of greeting and serving customers, travelers and workers at the airport, answering questions/helping travelers. Cleaning and preparing the store for the morning shift and customers, collecting the pastries from the baker and putting them out in the showcase and making sure that the morning shift is ready and prepared to work.

The management is not very good, managers show up late to clock workers in on time, they leave the job early, or are inactive on the job, usually conversating with distracted workers, English and french are the only two languages allowed to be spoken on the job but some employees and managers break that rule to speak with each other in front of customers who later complain about it. managers do little to help fix problems in the store(s), such as appliences not working or customer problems.

most co-workers are fun to work with but there are a few that don't like to work or are always distracted and not helping the customers or are always fighting with other workers and customers.
the hardest part is cleaning up after the shift before you, while getting the store ready for the shift after and at the same time serving and dealing with customers.

the most enjoyable part is working with someone who is on the same page and having everything go well. meeting new people celebrities included and getting possibly other great opportunities
Pros
working in the airport, meeting celebrities and new people, great job opportunities withing the airport.
Cons
gets extremely busy at times, bad co- workers and managers, angry airport employees who like to skip the line, large orders
full of attitude with workers
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 September 2016
specially managers dont know how to talk with workers,they have full of attitude no manners if they have high position.if you dont know french they just ask for cleaning and all.do not go there if you dont have any expereince.not good.
Fast paced
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON1 June 2016
High volume and fast face environment. Requires experience, customers are in a rush and require fast and adequate service. It is still a new restaurant.
it's a fun place and always a productive day.
Cashier/ Service Crew (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 January 2016
Working at SSP Canada is fun. working with different kinds of people is kinda exciting. I always enjoy working with them.the management is great. I learned lots of things everyday. The hardest part of the job is sometimes customer don't understand what we are saying and they become rude to us but we need to accept that fact cause we are on the field of customer service and customer is always right. the most enjoyable part of the job is we meet different people and we enjoy every single day that we work.
its good place to work
Host/Cashier/Busser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2015
Nice place to work the environment of work is good talking with different type of people is good experience.

overall is a great experience to work in.
stay away
Multi-Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2015
great experience, no room for advancement, under paid while working long hours.
short staffed and management.
Everybody overworked
Pros
fast paced
Cons
not appreciated, under paid
Great service team and working environment.
Food Court Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver B.C.25 March 2014
Great teammates to work with.
Worked hard and had fun in a very pleasant environment.
Pros
Pleasant environment.
Cons
working with people in a busy environmet
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Pearson, ON14 November 2013
Late working hours not suit with the family life and children.
Not so Productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2013
Not so fun workplace. People are dragging each other down. No chance of advancement or no potential for an employee to grow and learn more.
It was fun and fast paced
Cook (Former Employee) –  toronto on31 May 2013
It was very fast paced, you had to always be professional with the customers and make sure they felt welcomed. Co-workers were okay, they were friendly and very enthusiastic. The hardest part of the job was the overtime due to the airport being soo busy usually my 8 hour shift would turn to 12 hour shifts. The most enjoyable part was that you got to meet people from all over the world.
Pros
incentives, free lunch
Cons
Customer-oriented place. fun of communicating many different people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 September 2012
Learning to deal with lots of people of different nationalities.
Pros
50% discount on meal
Cons
lack of employees to work
ssp
Food Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  toronto on21 April 2012
a typical day at work was standing behide a counter with a smile on my face and ready to serve customers. i would usualy make sandwichs serve tea also baking at night.. i have learned to be patient with customers. my co-workers were very diverse which i enjoyed. the hardest part of my job was dealing with people anger people. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people everyday.
Pros
alots of hours