SSP America Employee Reviews

Poor Work environment due to Management
HR (Former Employee) –  Queens, NY11 December 2017
Although it was great working with co workers who truly invested in the company as a whole, SSP did not properly manage its restaurants. There was little room for growth, a very bias management, and unrealistic goals set by management.
Na
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA9 December 2017
The management was terrible the coworkers were the best thing about that job the hours were the best that I've had I didn't like that they do a draft for your job position every 6 months
Cool Workplace
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 November 2017
SSP America is overall a wonderful place to work. It's a fast paced work environment and variety is the key to getting the job done. Teamwork helps everyone and makes the day run smoothly. I like it and would refer anyone to join this great workplace.
Pros
Discounted lunch
Cons
Short breaks
You can go very far!
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA2 November 2017
It's fun and very large company where the possibilities are endless and you can work for many brands in many different roles. The work is fast-paced and engaging. From the time you get the badge to your first day at the airport, it never stops being an adventure.
Pros
Growth, Pay, and Benefits
Cons
Union
A good place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queens, NY31 October 2017
I enjoy it, Its work. Due to it being so busy the days go by fast, but it makes it hard to take a break. Sometimes you have to take on work that isn't yours.
It's was a nice place to work money was good people was all from around the world so meeting new people was ok
Store room Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FL27 October 2017
I learned how to do order products from different business and inventory and people actually appreciate it if you good work I learn how to order from different places like Todd Tomatoes they Fable you don't different things like that for the business Budweiser the only thing I didn't like about the job was going through TSA you have to keep getting search
productive but hectic
Multi-unit Manager (Current Employee) –  JFK AIRPORT18 October 2017
it is very fast pace but workers are not given much time for training , need more support from upper management. am not provided with adequate staffing and management, is a unionize place and employees sometimes I believe are given more power than managers. the company need to provide more training for staff and management, Some of the units are not properly staffed with employees and managers, I was not given the adequate managers for my units and I was overwhelmed with work most of the time.
Pros
lunch
Cons
need more managers
This is the worst company I have ever worked for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC18 October 2017
Company has a complete lack of culture and could not recognize a good employee from the abundance of poor performing team members. No structure, accountability, leadership, system for discipline or ability to hire and train quality employees. Long term team members seem to understand everyday is going to be complete chaos. Turnover is out of control. If you have issues management will suddenly avoid wanting to talk to you
Pros
Nothing with this company
Cons
Working for SSP was a con
Slow Paced Job
Cashier at Tabo Sushi (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 October 2017
You don't have much to do, it can get crowded at times but overall it depends how much food is ready to be sold. The worst part was the management, in my case my manager was unwilling to change my work hours because he didn't want to change the schedule he made. He was also mad that when he was low staffed that he had to help us and would blame us for his laziness.
Pros
Discounts on all SSP restaurants.
Cons
Management is unprofessional
Worst company ever
Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Florida24 September 2017
No room to advance. You literally work your butt off for nothing. The managers treat you bad & love to gossip. The stress isn't worth it AT ALL. Find another company
Pros
50% off on your food. Met a lot of awesome people in the airport
Cons
Poor management. No room for advancement. Drama filled environment. Not worth it
They dont value employees
Porter/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jf Kennedy Ap, NY23 September 2017
They do not respect staff nor do they even consider you an asset just a pawn. Constant disrespect and a managerial staff that is vastly incompetent. No job advancement.
Couldn't Care Less
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL18 September 2017
Upper management is very cold. They don't feel like they need to speak to their employees under them. Don't take suggestions on how to improve. Never enough staff. No one is trained well.
Pros
I have a job.
Cons
BAD upper management, disorganized.
Good for a temporary position
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IA18 September 2017
I worked here between graduating from college and going to graduate school. It provided a steady income while I was deciding what my next step was going to be. It did not provide advancement opportunities and scheduling was excessively difficult. However, the manager was great and showed an interest in teaching me whenever possible.
working at airport
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA15 September 2017
Enjoyed meeting new people
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Management was fair and helpful
Workplace laid back
Hardest part restocking
The people
Pros
free sodas, 1/2 price meals
Stressful place, stressful management
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN14 September 2017
Typical work day for me was doing half of the manager's jobs and supervising employees and making sure product was 100% and making sure deposits were getting done. Orders were being placed at the correct time.
i dont like working there
no answer (Current Employee) –  California14 September 2017
its stressful, management needs to get it together a lot of favoritism.a typical day would be not having anything left from a night before so u have to do it all for the lazy folks. I've learned nobody there is a friend or a coworker unless youre super cool with them. Management has to go back to training some managers talk to us like if we were there children. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS GOING TO WORK FOR THAT COMPANY. Looking for a better job. The most enjoyable would be my coworkers they make it worth it there and one manager his super cool Fernando!
Pros
50% on food
good hours bad pay
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA11 September 2017
co workers are nice and easy to get along with, the problem is there is no communication between management and employees or even manager to manager. never really feel appreciated , also any issue you bring to them they just dismiss it or pass the buck, you will never get anything resolved
horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  jfk10 September 2017
I learned not to be used by ssp anymore. Yes you work but they use you and abuse you. they're worried about tucking in shirts when you have a line out there door with no help. never have workers and there isn't n growth
Pros
u work
Cons
they over work you with no recognition, they will use u to there benefit.
Typical day at work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 September 2017
working for SSPA is amazing, I'm a people person so I;m never bored. They could give me more hours but other than that everything is ok. I really like the people I work with as well
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
If its slow you might have to go home
A great step in the right direction for a culinary career
COOK (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ3 September 2017
Get in, get your money, get your skills up and then get out. If you stay too long, you live to see yourself become the villain. This company will chew you u and spit you out if you stay longer enough. Management as a whole sucks due to lack of communication and not being team orientated. But for the first year, you can learn a lot if your willing... just don't stay any longer than that.
Pros
Free Lunch, Health Benefits, Pto, work/life balance.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8