SSP America Employee Reviews

No Appreciation
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NY18 February 2018
Best reason to work here as a supertor manager you get $20 a day to eat at any restaurant in the terminal. You can't have premium items like Steak or seafood.
You are not appreciated by management. As a supervisor and manager you are not appreciated by the Ops or directors who sit upstairs at their desks. They will see you working hard with minimal staff sometimes no one at all just the manager and not care about the situation.
Pros
$20 for Lunch
Cons
No Appreciation for Managers and supervisors. No Staff!
If you are looking for work opportunity, I would avoid
Porter (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NY12 February 2018
I currently work at Terminal 7 for SSP and I must say that the period I have worked here has been the absolute worst. Management clearly show that they have no prior training or focus for the tasks at hand. I currently go to college and this job wouldn't accommodate me or anyone that goes to school. They want you to work here forever with no future ahead. Also. working hard here will reward you absolutely squat. If you are a sane human being and want to get promoted or recognized as a hard worker, i would steer clear from this place.
Pros
Union benefits, 401k
Cons
Bad work environment, Horrible Management, No accommodation
Alright company to work for. Needs new management
Host (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ8 February 2018
The management over at SSP needs to be looked at and dealt with. I have personally experienced a manager that is unpleasant and rude when speaking to me. I have also heard accounts of managers demeaning their employees, and even rumors of people getting fired because they complained about one of their managers.
One of the busiest airports
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL2 February 2018
Work environment was very fun and friendly. Management was very good at handling all situations. Workplace culture very diverse and multi cultured. The hardest part of the job was not being able to keep everyone happy. The most enjoyable part of the position was meeting people for all across the world.
Pros
Wonderful work environment
Cons
Didnt know what time you will be leaving
Fast-Paced work, but terrible environment.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL30 January 2018
For the most part, I did not enjoy my time working for this company. My co-workers were very difficult to work with and my managers ignored the obvious issues.
Pros
Discounted Meals, diverse customers/employees, secure environment
Cons
Slow environment during winter time, short breaks, poor management
Fast paced extremely busy environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ30 January 2018
Overall a good job, benefits and compensation were fine. Extremely early hours made it a difficult work/life balance. Overall a good learning environment for experience in the front and back of the house
Pros
benefits, compensation
Cons
hours, support
Perfect for hourly employees that cannot hold a job anywhere else
Server (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL27 January 2018
There is zero culture here. The only thing counts is money put into the pockets of SSP without the care of the employees or guests alike. As a manager you are stuck and cannot discipline any employees brought on antenna produce or even show up for their scheduled shifts. If you pass your background check you are assured a a job without having to produce maintain normal business culture and functions. It is a very toxic and stressful environment. there is absolutely zero support or respect from upper management. If you are one of those employees that keeps getting terminated from other jobs and can land a job here you have found a home but at the cost of the other good employees
Pros
I make my own hours and only work when I want to
Cons
Zero support from upper management
Overview
Concessionaire Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL22 January 2018
This company is a piece of work. They hover over you as if you don´t know how to do your job. They consistently cut hours without no remorse. They need to reevaluate the way they run things.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Its fun to work there
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 January 2018
Ssp can get better but its not right at this time they do not have everything in order its a good job to start off but I think its just something until u find something better with a career...
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
30 mins breaks
Starting job
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 January 2018
Not a great place to be career wise but for fast cash it’s great.somedays you only work 4 days some week I only work 3 days. this company is a good stepping stone for anyone who just leaving high school
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Poor management down to the supervisor
Horrible
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jf Kennedy Ap, NY15 January 2018
I worked at SSP America . This place is very unprofessional . I actually thought I was in a soap opera. This place is not a place where the company treat each other with respect . The operational manager's are very unprofessional. They speak to other managers and employee with such disrespect ! I was being harassed by two other senior managers . I myself as a Assistant Manager went up to human resource reported and nothing was ever done. This company needs new Direct Operation Managers. A good clean sweep !!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to whoever applies to this company !!!!!!!!
Pros
$20.00 for lunch !!!
Cons
Unprofessionalism
It's like a merry-go round and it never stops spinning
Assistant Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NY9 January 2018
While i will always value the experience and education i received from working with SSP i do believe there are things that people should be aware of before signing up for this job.

Your typical day at work as already started before you ave already entered the building you are scheduled for a 10 hour shift but depending on the unit you work for you may end up working more than 10 hours. The speed of the day depends on the airport business, if you had extreme weather be prepared for busy day with non-stop rotation. I have to make sure i have enough produce to last for the day and enough to last for overnight because i run an 24 hour store. Some days you may be pushed to your breaking point because with you being a manager you may also have to be a cashier, prep cook, porter all at once. So if your not ready to actually do all this i would not recommend it.

I've learned how to multi-task on a sprint, I've learned to work with literally no staff, I've learned how to get things done on my own without the help of upper management. i learned that i needed to learn as much things as i can on my own because most of the time you may not get the assistance you need
Cons
favoritism, unpredictable hours, poor staff, lack of management tools
do not work here.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jf Kennedy Ap, NY7 January 2018
The workplace itself i loved. I loved the fact that i was in a airport, seeing people you know, meeting people you don't know; whether coworkers, customers, or just travelers, lets not forget celebrities! It was an awesome experience. It would have been a great job if it were under different management
Pros
50% off on some meals, meet great coworkers
Cons
management is horrible, alot of favortism, they use you to benefit them and try to not pay you for it.
The worst place to work
Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Queens, NY7 January 2018
Dont work here at all ,its the worst place to every work at in the important. No respect there at all, over work you, mangers are horrible. Just dont go
Pros
50% discount on food
Cons
breaks are to short
Server with SSP America
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 January 2018
Benefits are terrific and being part of the Union has its perks. Everything is based on seniority and no one ever quits or gets fired so no I g up the ladder is hard.
Pros
Great money can be made
Cons
Everything based on seniority, never feels appreciated
Amazing
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL5 January 2018
The experience is quite amazing, everyone’s really friendly and welcoming. It’s actually one of the best and favorite jobs I’ve ever held and the food is outstanding.
Horrible place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA4 January 2018
I have been at this company for like 2 months now and they are horrible. The lack of communication is poor. The management is horrible people and the store they just opened is always breaking down. Left and right there is always something wrong. When you have a question nobody has a answer. And when you got to the actual person with the answer they get mad that you have there number. I’m so one with this place I can’t wait to find a new job. I would not recommend this job at all. You will regret it.
Pros
Some of the supervisors are amazing
Cons
The mangers
productive
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NY3 January 2018
I enjoyed the staff at SSP America, this job was highly appreciated. Fast pace on most days the tips were great met people from all over the world. thankful for this job and the connections I was able to have even after moving on .
this was a fun productive place to work
Cashier/ Server (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV20 December 2017
I liked working here this place kept me moving and my days went by fast. The management was just poorly done. There were affairs within the company so there was the special treatment I did not agree with that.
Pros
at first we got free meals then started getting only discounted meals
Cons
very short breaks, too many no call no show and late people.
flexable hours
cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ18 December 2017
friendly co workers and flexible hours you can work nights or during the day you can call off without having pints taken away from you if your sick or having family issues
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
could not relocate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP America. Our community is ready to answer.