Located in southwestern BC, the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) is a local government federation consisting of four member municipalities (Lillooet, Pemberton, Squamish and Whistler) and four electoral areas. The region features some of the most spectacular forests, waterways, and mountains in the province and affords an endless range of opportunities for outdoor adventure. Headquartered in Pemberton, which is the approximate geographic centre of the region, the SLRD delivers a wide range of local, regional and sub-regional services to approximately 38,000 residents.
This program is ideal for a recent communications graduate or student entering his or her final year of study in a communications-related program. The intern will have the opportunity to assist with a wide variety of internal and external communications efforts. A key priority will be to assist in the redevelopment of the SLRD’s website, including conducting research, coordinating a web-content audit, developing site content, and liaising with department managers and the web development team.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Writing news releases, backgrounders, newsletters, web content and outreach materials
- Developing information displays, posters and presentations
- Updating and maintaining the website
- Coordinating meetings, community and media events
- Creating and coordinating print advertising
- Developing and implementing strategies to improve internal communications
- Social media policy and strategy development
- Preparing Board reports and presentations
- Other communications-related projects as required
This is a full-time, paid contract position reporting to the Communications and Grants Coordinator. Compensation will be determined commensurate with knowledge, skills and ability. The suggested term of the contract is 3-months, commencing May 27 and ending August 30, 2013.The term of the contract is negotiable.
- A recent graduate or student nearing completion of a college or undergraduate program in the area of communications, marketing, web development or a related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly organized with proven attention to detail, time management and computer skills
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated, capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Previous communications, web and / or social media experience is a plus
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume with a covering letter and references by email no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 29, 2013 to:
Attn: Jennifer Hanna, Executive Assistant, Squamish-Lillooet Regional District
Box 219, 1350 Aster Street
Pemberton, BC V0N 2L0
Fax (604) 894-6526
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.