SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of all food safety quality programs and policies to ensure continuous production of quality products consistent with established standards. Full-time, permanent position.
· Assures compliance to all areas of manufacturing including: raw materials, receiving, processing, finished product, storage, handling, and shipping.
· Support purchasing manager in supplier approval program and ingredient approval
· Ensure best practices in methods, standards and processes are utilized throughout the plant.
· Oversee and enforce GMP, HACCP, BRC, USDA/FDA and Organic certification requirements.
· Handle all audit requirements including government, third party and customer audits
· Responsible for maintaining the Food Safety records.
· Ensure compliance and maintain responsibility for the testing and monitoring of the plant’s sanitation program, water sampling program and calibration program
· Work closely with the internal auditor to carry out routine comprehensive internal inspections/audits of the plant/programs for compliance.
· Lead and direct the work of the QA associates, production and sanitation employees.
· Review and file production records and QA paperwork on a daily basis.
· Review all thermal process documentation on a daily basis.
· Participate in heat penetration thermal process deviation testing, process development and validation studies.
· Investigate and record all production deviations, non-compliance, hold and disposition at the plant level. Communicate and report all investigations to the President and provide summaries and trending analyses to cross-functional management team.
· Investigate and communicate with customers on all customer complaints in a timely fashion. Provide trending analyses of complaints to cross-functional management team.
· Oversee the company’s pest control program and communicate with 3rd party pest control company on deficiencies.
· Coordinate and organize the Quality and Sanitation training programs to support achievement of operational goals, including regulatory compliance and functional skills development, develop and implement job specific programs.
· Support new employee orientation program with operations specific activities and programs.
· Support the president in research and development activities including recipe development, nutritional analysis, specification development and regulatory compliance for labelling, declaration and packaging, and specification development.
· Undergraduate degree in food science or equivalent science field
· Five years of QA and sanitation experience with strong scientific & analytical skills.
· Must have experience training and supervising employees.
· Must have experience with all aspects of HACCP and GMPs. Experience with BRC a strong asset.
· Regulatory experience with CFIA, FDA and Organic certification an asset.
· Experience with thermal processing a strong asset. Must be willing to undergo thermal process training.
· Highly motivated person who is able to multi-task and handle a high volume of work with accuracy in a fast changing environment.
· Require a general knowledge of manufacturing methods and equipment
· Good verbal and writing, detail-oriented and a team player.
· Must have a hands-on leadership style
· Must be detail orientated with documentation/record keeping
· Must possess proficient computer skills
This job description does not list all the job duties of this position. Duties listed are subject to change based on business and/or management needs. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time.
All interested applicants should send cover letter, resume and references addressed to Jane Sprague or in person to Sprague Foods Limited between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm