Sprague-Rosser Contracting Co. Ltd. is seeking a Project Accountant to work with the growing and dynamic Accounting / Finance team.
- Owns the set up and maintenance of projects in the business system in accordance with accounting policies; establishes and maintains pricing schedules, customer details, payment plans and invoicing calendars.
- Interprets contract terms and conditions and builds commercial terms into project set ups to ensure maximum profitability.
- Works with Project Control to ensure contractual operating agreement compliance and participates in audits and resolution activities.
- Reviews WIP reports and conducts WIP review meetings with Project Managers to ensure timely billing.
- Reviews project transaction documents and accounts for accuracy and completeness, including sub-charges, data sheets, time reports, expenses, subcontractor invoices, etc.
- Responsible for the production of customer invoices, credit notes, and back up documentation.
- Reviews draft invoices for accuracy prior to submitting for Project Manager approval.
- Ensures billings do not exceed approved budget limits and works with Project Managers and Project Controls to resolve issues.
- Challenges the financial health of projects during monthly project reviews with Corporate Controller.
- Performs weekly review of project revenue recognition in business system; takes action on projects not generating revenue.
- Produces and analyzes trend and variance reports as needed.
- Ensures project profitability is maximized for the project.
- Identifies areas of potential project gross margin improvement; ensures accurate recovery of all costs as defined in the contract and ensures non-billable costs are minimized.
- Gathers project accruals and provisions information as needed.
- Works closely with Project Controls to produce monthly reports and estimates.
- Works closely with project operations, controls and billing coordinators to improve project administration processes and effectiveness.
- Reviews DSO reports and assists in the development of corrective action plans.
- Works directly with customers to ensure invoices have been received, approved, and actioned.
- Provides regular invoice status updates to Project Managers & Executive Team.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Relevant undergraduate degree or diploma in Accounting with a minimum of 2-4 years’ experience in a project accounting function.
- Explorer Contract Manager experience considered a strong asset or;
- Extensive ERP experience
- CMA or CGA designation or nearing completion considered an asset but not required
- Understanding of GAAP and IFRS
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Eagerness to contribute to an exciting and dynamic Company
- Strong technical and analytical accounting skills
- Maintains the highest professional ethics and standards
- Engineering and construction project knowledge
- Advanced Excel skills
This position reports to: Corporate Controller