Sports Direct

Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Southport and WarringtonJuly 21, 2014
Served customers
Handled cash
Used the tills
I was on a mixed rota so my shifts changed from week to week
productive and fun environment
Sales Assisstant (Current Employee), Slough, ENGJuly 20, 2014
It is very good to work in a comfortable surrounding. The day is usually quite busy and this allows many interactions with customers and it is nice to communicate and help others. The team is wonderful as they are always cheerful and they also help people ease in to a different environment.
n/a
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), huddersfieldJuly 20, 2014
poor salary hardly any hours no more than 8 a week,
I needed a job that had more consistent hours. many of my co workers were very unhappy working there, and were also just as displeased with the rota as I was, receiving hardly and hours.
sports direct
sales assistant (Former Employee), braeheadJuly 20, 2014
can be stressful, working under pressure a lot of the time consistant KPI's although staff were great to work with
Busy retail outlet with a great team
Retail Asssistant (Current Employee), Doncaster, ENGJuly 16, 2014
Pros: discount on product purchased
Cons: not enough hours of work
A team brief was held and a review of KPI's for selling add on items like bags for life. Which I always do well in.
You are then assigned to your area of either cash desk or shoes.
The cash desk is one of the busiest areas, with lots of pressure and also a big responsibility of handling cash and making sure you charge the customer the correct amount.
The – more... shoe area is also busy but in a different way as I am dealing with the customer requirements directly so this is were I have to listen the most and be well informed about all the different stock for sale.
I have learned that all customers are different and you have to look after them in a polite professional way.
One of the hardest things is after you have created a display of product you watch it become untidy as customers rummage though.
The most enjoyable part of the job is serving customer and seeing how pleased they are with the newly purchased item. – less
Good atmosphere in the workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Bradford, ENGJuly 15, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: zero hour contract
A typical day at Sports Direct would consist of ensuring customers received the highest standard of customer service. I served customers on the tills dealing with cash transactions and ensuring the till area was tidy. During deliveries I would ensure that all products were security tagged, put out and merchandised to the best of my ability. During my – more... time at sports direct I learned how to deal with various situations such as unhappy customers and customers whom English was not their first language. Although it sometimes made communication difficult when I was unable to understand customers or they were unable to understand me. The most enjoyable part of the job would be serving friendly customers who you could chat with, knowing they went away happy making my day better. – less
Fun, Teamwork
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Streatham, ENGJuly 15, 2014
Pros: long breaks
Cons: short hours
The most enjoyable day at work would be having a meeting with the mangers and getting to know more about my team-mates.

On Sunday, I was helping to clean up before closing and I was communicating with most of the staffs that was there and I understand more about what to do at Sports Direct.

the most hardest thing at work was trying to tell the security-guard – more... who isn't coming out with a bag and having to introduce our costumers to the 'life bags'.

when I arrive at work I would have to sign in and get ready for my manager to tell me what to do next because it was my first day being there, I quite enjoyed being there because it was my first day and I didn't know much things there. But, slowly I understand more. and became more confident. – less
learning
Sales Assistant / Customer Service (Former Employee), London, ENGJuly 15, 2014
Customer Service
sales
meeting new customers
using till point
Very Demanding
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), londonJuly 13, 2014
Sportsdirect is a very demanding work place that will demand that you give all your time to the work place. social or personal problems are taken into consideration but they still want you to work.
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee), birminghamJuly 11, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no contract hours
one of the best places to work if you are looking for a part time job.
Low pay and poor staff recognition
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Ipswich, ENGJuly 11, 2014
Pros: good working atmosphere
Cons: not many hours
Sports direct was a very busy shop, which improved my confidence and sales skills. there were many incentives and commission based products that we could sell, this improved motivation and determination to sell products successfully.
Typical day at work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Walworth RoadJuly 11, 2014
Starting my day at work I would normally clock in and check my schedule for the week, to be a head.After this I will start my shift with going to my manager on addressing what needs to be covered. I will after go ahead with what needs to be done with delivering excellent customer services.
Helping the needs of the business and the customer.
Face Painter (Current Employee), London, ENGJuly 11, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: selling bag for life
Hours are constantly shifted, hardly get any shift. I learnt to put the customers need before myself and friends. I have also learnt that to help keep your job and work your way to a much higher surface you need to have faith in yourself along with ability to be strong but careful, patient and presentable. My co-workers are very friendly we get along – more... very well, despite the long hours they get me through the day. Difficulties I face when working in sports direct is selling a company's product that many customers are not interested in or even considering when buying their products. Also having to deal with rude, impatient customer and supervisors who are supposedly to be our role models. Having every customer leave with a smile and come on back soon feeling and completing tidying the store are my goals for the end of every day I work. – less
Do not cater for partially disabled people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Weston-super-Mare, ENGJuly 11, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: almost everything
I am partially disabled, and they do not allow me to undertake any extra work training to better myself. I have tried asking for a transfer and they keep saying I do not deserve it.
Fun Workplace
Customer assistant (Current Employee), OxfordJuly 10, 2014
The part time colleagues were fun to work with, however the full time managers could get quite petty and immature. The work place was unorganised in terms of communication due to poor hardware and also in the sense of shift placements etc.
fun work place
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Leeds, ENGJuly 7, 2014
Pros: was easy due to a lot of knowledge
Cons: not enough hours
I would start by coming into the workplace in the correct uniform, then either start on the till or on the shop floor where i would have to arrange the store and clean up any mess there is.

learned how to use a till.

co workers were helpful at times but sometimes they would not even speak to me.

the hardest part was serving rude customers as you – more... always have to stay friendly and helpful.

the easiest part was I enjoy sports a lot so was easy to get along with customers searching for any sports equipment. – less
productive and vibrant enviroment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), London, ENGJuly 6, 2014
Pros: the knowledge gained
Cons: zero hour contract
vibrant enviroment which keeps you on your toes as every day is different consisting of different customers with different needs all which come in you strive to do the best for them to leave satisfied and that is the most enjoyable part of the job
Messy and clustered
CASUAL SHOP ASSISTANT (Former Employee), GatesheadJuly 5, 2014
the shop floor is clustered with clothes and shoes as well as being a hot and overworked environment
Friendly & Busy enviroment
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee), kilmarnockJuly 1, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, busy, friendly
Cons: 0 hour contract
Sports Direct was a thriving sports shop in the middle of Kilmarnock town centre, there was a diverse range of customers which made the job exciting and extremely fulfilling, it also gave e more experience in stock replenishment and also cash handling and I achieved a better knowledge of customer care and realized a good basis of experience to work – more... with the general public. – less
3 hours a week on minimum wage
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Newcastle UnderlymeJune 30, 2014
Pros: we get a discount on thursdays
Cons: minimal hours combined with minimal pay.
In a typical days work I am usually placed on a till where I am commanded to sell bags for life and magazines (I get warnings if I don't) - but if I am not on a till I usually hang items up around the store and try to help customers out as much as I can so that they have a good experience of the store and can be in and out as quickly as possible (Due – more... to the large mass of rails and compact space, it can be very frustrating for customers to use the store efficiently)
Although my overall rating of the store is quite poor I have learnt quite a few good things which can help an individual to work well, such as carrying tasks well as this keeps the managers from becoming annoyed with the staff. To be respectful to everyone who enters the store (Believe me, I've served all kinds of people, and under any circumstance it is best to stay polite)
On the management side of things, the managers are alright at Sports Direct.They try to give clear instructions and will try to motivate you where they can. Problems only arise when you aren't selling bags for life (We do not gain any bonus from selling bags for life) As it seems as though the only reason you are being employed is to get the managers extra money (They get bonuses when a bag for life is sold)
Overall the Co-workers are really good to get a long with and I can't give any criticism as it is really easy to get along with co workers at sportsdirect.
The hardest part of the job must be serving rowdy customers, and as I wrote earlier on. The best way to deal with all obstacles in this kind of job is to stay polite. Even if the customer in question leaves all of their departed shopping on the till, stands and waits for over an hour for a manager or making obscene comments. The best thing to always do is to stay cool and keep polite.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing a customer has come in and out of the shop with what they want, without their time being wasted - making the customers visit to the store as compact and easy as possible is the most enjoyable part of the job as you usually receive thanks which is quite good after being consistently told to sell bags for life "Or we may consider firing you". – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Sports Direct

Sports Direct International plc (LSE: SPD) is a British retailing group. Founded in 1982 by former county squash coach Mike Ashley, – Read more