SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun workplace
Retail Administrator/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2016
Sporting life is a great company to work for, everyone works hard and does their part. Management are also very friendly.
hostile work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
I learned that you cannot rely on anyone in this store for help. Co-workers were rude and disrespectful and exhibited hostility.
Great Place to work
Customer Service, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 4, 2016
I really enjoyed my time working in Sporting Life. They Offered on-going training for employees to increase their knowledge and expertise in area of selling and customer interactions.
Friendly work environment
Stock Associate (2015) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 30, 2016
I learned the efficient way of stocking with the principle of utilizing minimum space for as many items.
Pros
Easy to commute
Cons
Easy to get lost in the stock room
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
It's productive and fun workplace. Extremely fast pace environment. Able to enhance customer service ability.
Excellent Management team
A Good Place to Start
Sales associate for Men's Outerwear (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 19, 2016
Overall, Sporting Life is a good place to start a career in retail. The schedules are organized well, and the environment is good. There is a really bad system for tracking employee sales.
Pros
Good Environment, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Unorganized, Not the Best Managers, Long Hours Cleaning, Terrible Commission Rate (0.01%).
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2016
Working at Sporting Life made grow as a Sales Representative.
Achieving daily goals at the store taught me it is important to have career targets no matter how difficult can be , you always have to try to accomplish them at the end of the day this will be the best feeling ever.

Good environment and really nice place to work.
Fun and Enjoyable
Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 15, 2016
flexible hours, people are awesome to work with, departments are understaffed, salary isn't comparable with amount of work.

great place to build a lot of experience
warehouse clerk
Warehouse Worker/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 14, 2016
did not like working here, i learned a lot lots of nice people work there any in the end you make lots of friends
Lessons learned
E-commerce Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Great place to gain experience, learn the retail world and meet new people. You get the opportunity to grow as a person and learn new things!
Pros
Discount, friendly co-workers, nice ambience, holidays off
Cons
Negative customers, hours can be long
Fair place to work at part-time!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 9, 2016
Not very flexible with hours, not well scheduled. Best parts about working here were the customer interactions, and co-workers!
Customer service oriented establishment
Receptionist and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 27, 2016
Fun staff and management. This business is very much oriented towards customer services and sales goals. Many opportunities to grow and learn new skills
Good co-workers, bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2016
Enjoyed working with everybody, did not really get the dates I wanted when I needed time off. Fun environment to learn and sell products. Usually working with loyal, satisfied, and returning customers.
sporting life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 19, 2016
some managers are very rude while others are super nice and easy going. lots of shifts but managers can be very mean to you. everyone is friendly. lots of staff so easy clean up.
Pros
many shifts
Cons
mean managers
Merchandiser
(Yonge) - Merchandising Team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work was bringing items onto the floor, hard tagging items, either upstairs or downstairs or both at times. Bagging at cash. Co-Workers are really nice as well.Most enjoyable part are the employees, and the hardest part was just the hours in general.

I was 16 at the time when I was working at Sporting Life, so therefore I was a part-time worker and a student. In Ontario, students are required to work about 5 hours on weekdays when school is in process and 8 hours on Weekends. I wouldn't recommend a student working here. My typical schedule was working Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays. Tuesdays & Thursdays my schedule was 5:00-10:30, & keep in mind I lived in Scarborough and had to take the transit. You are also required a break after 4 hours and It was rare that I had my breaks. On Sundays I was scheduled from 9:30AM-8:00PM. That is 11 in a half hours. Students shouldn't be working those hours. It was also about an hour and a half bus ride home. And since I worked on Sundays and the trains weren't running until 9:00 am, I had to take the bus routes downtown, so I had to be up by 6:00 am. It is really hard for students to be working those hours! We have school and that needs to accommodated. I was also scheduled to work at 6:00am-5:30pm on boxing day. Therefore I would have to be up 4:00am and It was a hassle to get my schedule changed when I shouldn't even have been booked for such timing. Reasons why I had quit working here after nearly 3 months, it was too much. For all the work and the long hours that you work, you should in my opinion receive more than
  more... minimum wage.

Sporting Life is not a bad company, but students who are still in highschool should not consider it, especially if you are a merchandiser because merchandisers are required to stay after everybody is gone in the store.
Pros
Amazing costumer service, you feel welcomed by your employees.
Cons
Long Hours, No accommodations for students
motivates you to find another job and be successful in life
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2016
yeeah that job ain't sh**t lol.. they give you good hours though. i definitely would no recommend somebody that has a short attention span nor should a highly enthusiastic individual ever work there.
Pros
good hours
sales associate position
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2016
No training except for 9 hours on paper work, no actual product knowledge training. Manager started pushing to make sales on the second day. Co-workers were very nice people, customers were well off and were very nice too.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
you are told to sell thousands $ of clothes right the way, commission is so small you're still going to be making minimum wage
Busy environment
PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2016
It was an alright job. A typical day of work consisted of maintaining the cleanliness of the department I was designated and assisting any customers. I learned how to deal with conflicts in a professional demeanour with both customers and fellow employees. My previous co-workers were very immature and lacked the ability to help anyone but themselves or take responsibility for their actions. Overall, it is a very nice place to work with good management.
Pros
Free lunch during holiday shifts
Cons
Immature co-workers
Best thing about it is the people you work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Very long hours, not allowed to socialize with other staff. Poor store organization, lower managers and associates would get let go every month without explanation. If you want to feel your soul drained for very low pay and have no job security this is the job for you.
Only pros are some of the staff are food, and the access to pro-deals. The in-store discount is barely a discount. Beware of upper management.
Pros
pro-deals, co-workers
Cons
really long retail hours, poor upper management, no commission for sales, no apparent job security
Some great prduct, poorly managed stores.
Former Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Sporting Life is not what it used to be.
Managers don't care about their employees.
Star program is a joke.
The employee discount is too low.
Some managers have been around far too long.
Need change. Clean up the place.
HR staff is useless.
Ideally you need to send someone in from the US Head Office to properly review ALL management staff.
Wages are low and reviews rarely if ever happen.
Not an honest, positive work environment.
Would not recommend this co. to anyone.

Why include a question about the CEO?

2.7