SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

Great place to work in the winter
Assistant Cash Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2017
During the winter months, Sporting life is always jammed packed with excitement and consistent hours. It is a retail job that has higher expectations of its staff.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
10 hour shifts
Sporting Life
Cash Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 March 2017
On a daily basis, I would deal with happy,unsatisfied, irritated, every type of customer with the best customer service possible. I've learned to handle heavy heated situations in a calm organized manner. The hardest part about the job was that I am just the cashier, and if they did not like the experience they had in the store, i am the one that now has to deal with it, but what made up for those situations is when i really satisfied the customer whether it be, finding that last item they've been looking for, correcting the sizes from the tag to the item itself, just the little things were very satisfying.
Pros
working with friendly, welcoming people
Cons
Far from home
Boring job made worse by terrible management
E-Commerce Logistics & Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2017
This was a simple job of responding to customer complaints over the phone and online. However the task was made very degrading and the office environment was dismal, entirely due to the manager of this team. Rude and lacking any leadership skills and leaving no room to grow within the company, Sporting Life's e-commerce department was a pain to be a part of.
stimulating
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
I really enjoyed learning about the clothing industry and helping to serve good people great clothes and it is very rewarding.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
staff discount
Department Manager
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON19 February 2017
Great Product and Service Great staff. Store atmosphere is great and staff know their product they are selling. Name Brand High end product is what you would find at this store.
Pros
Product
good company
Assistant Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
very relax environment, work is not hard, fashionable clothing, professional, you can move up in the company, lots of opportunity for growth, reasonable benefits
Fun and interesting
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON5 February 2017
Working in the hardgoods department is very technical and thats what makes working there interesting, but not a lot of room for advancement in the department.
Fun and "interesting" place at times
Assistant Footwear Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 January 2017
Very fun environment to work in, although management made it interesting at times. Nice staff and laid back vibe to it. Would recommend anybody to work here.
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 January 2017
Great environment to work in and a wonderful team. Management can be improved, was not the best environment to work at when seeking professionalism.
good people great product
Merchandiser/Restocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
Great coworkers
Broad selection of high quality product
Beautiful merchandising and high quality of standards
Flexible scheduling
Holiday season is very busy which makes it easier to hit sales targets.
Pros
welcoming employees, great products being sold
No advancement opportunities
Cashier / Sales Associate / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2016
Great customer service but bad work environment, unapproachable management, no advancement opportunities, no recognition for people's potential, no benefits to employees.
Pros
Product knowledge sessions before starting the day
Not worth it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 November 2016
Honestly,not worth it.

the management sucks, they push you around everywhere and sometimes even bully you.

I quit after 2 days, my first day was basically me being pushed around everywhere and getting yelled at for not knowing anything. Like it's my first day, what do to expect?

The whole place is run by bunch of teenagers, not profession
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2016
The sporting life team is a very energetic and happy employees
never a moment where i dont feel welcomed
management is very understanding and well organized
my co-workers are very happy and inviting people
very respectful people
i enjoy the most about the job is the employees and the customers
very polite
Great, well rounded enviroment
Cash Lead & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 November 2016
Sporting Life is a great company. I learnt many transferrable skills that can be used at any other workplace. Loss Prevention is highly recognized by Sporting life, I learnt many valuable tips. Staff is amazing and managers are considerate and always want to teach staff new product information and skills.

Overall, Great Experience
Terrible managers, hours, and wages.
Sales Associate - Soft Goods (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
Sorry this is long but it's worth the read if you're considering working at Sporting Life. I worked part time at the Sporting Life in Calgary until I had to quit. Some weeks I would have to work 25 hours and other weeks I wouldn't be scheduled at all. When I applied they said we would be working 15 hours per week but it turned out that we would work less or more than that. My boyfriend worked at the same place and he got fired on his birthday because we were "over staffed" even though we had just hired 45 new people. They gave us commission but it was 0.01%. Why even bother? The schedule would say something like 1-Close but everyday we'd have to stay either 30, 40, or even 80 minutes after we close in order to vacuum, organize, check change rooms, fold, wipe down mirrors, etc. That would happen everyday. There was also one manager that said she "didn't give 15 minute breaks to people who work 5 to close". We are supposed to get 15 breaks for 5 to close but that manager decided we weren't allowed them. I didn't feel appreciated or respected. I quit because my managers made me cry. I was a great employee, never missed a shift, never complained, I was always friendly. I was always worried about being fired for no reason. My managers were talking badly about me while on the sales floor, I could hear them clearly. My manager came up to me and threatened to send me home because I wasn't selling enough. When I told my other manager about it she didn't believe me. That day, I wasn't feeling well and I was in an unfamiliar department because I took someone's shift. They didn't cut me  more... any slack, they said I was on the bottom of the sales list even though I talked to 3 other people who literally sold nothing all day, and I had already sold 5 things. So that was a lie. They compared me to other co-workers making me feel bad about myself. There's a list in the break room that has everyone ranked based on how much they had sold. It made it into such a competition and a hostile work environment. Many people I worked with also had the same complaints. DO NOT WORK HERE. The only pro about working here were the other employees. I made quite a few friends. They were all nice people. It was just the terrible managers who were on a power trip. Talking to some of the customers was nice too because I would get to hear stories and meet some very friendly people. The one thing that wasn't good about customers was that they would get annoyed because every employee would ask them how they were doing. The managers would get mad if we didn't talk to every customer we see so I understand the customers' anger.  less
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
Too many shifts and not enough shifts, no respect, bad management, low commissions, management only cares about how much you sell, competitive work environment, long hours, no breaks.
They run it like the military
Hardgoods Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 October 2016
Good people, poor management. They want the world but only pay minimum wage. Next to nothing in benefits. Never pay overtime.
Pros
Will offer full time hours if you need it
Cons
Poor management
Highly Competitive and overall great place to work, enjoyable atmosphere.
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 September 2016
Sporting Life has been one of my favourite places to work, they have given me lots of hours as I have asked and provided me with a great department to work in. This job has been very convenient and a fun place to work, I have honed my customer service skills to a whole new level and learned a lot more about retail sales tactics and execution. I very much enjoyed Sporting Life's Employee incentive program as it made it a level playing field all the while a very competitive scene which I naturally excel in. Would definitely recommend this job to a friend who's looking for a great place to work. The hardest part of this job would be have critical thinking and problem solving skills to give the customer the best product that's right for their budget and situation. The co-workers are also the best part because they believe that teamwork makes the dream work and are very helpful all around. Management is very lenient, meaning that they will be very flexible when necessary and are very motivating to say the least.
Pros
0.1% commission - I'm Top 3 in Sales Record at $500k+
Cons
Must greet at store entrance for an hour sometimes if necessary, taking you off the sales floor.
The work life balance is amazing
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Great team to be working with- I love that I don't have to take much of my work home! Enjoying the busy seasons and the quiet ones, the merchandisers always display the store beautifully!
Cosmetically? Beautiful. Everything else? Pretty sub par
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2016
Really really awful place to work. The store is going to look phenomenal and it will make you feel cool hanging out in it.

But that is pretty much where it ends.

They only pay minimum wage, which is garbage for how much work they expected us to do to help them get the store put together and ready for opening. And on top of that, not really any appreciation for us working so hard and doing things not in the job description. I get that the store isn't even open yet and that there's work to be done before we open and just get to sell clothing and footwear, but there was zero appreciation for what we were doing and if we took even the shortest 30 second breather a manager would be there to call us out and get us back to work.

The stress was real high amongst the managers, and they didn't hesitate to take it out on the peasants making minimum wage, making for an uncomfortable work environment.

And this is where I reached my breaking point. When the schedule was released. They assured me in the interview they could work around my previous commitments I had before accepting the job at Sporting Life, and even signed off on it on paper. But then the schedule came out and they accommodated maybe one day of the week to my previous commitments. Upon emailing the scheduler about this confusion, I was just told that they never agreed to anything, and that they would "do their best" to accommodate, but if I was scheduled for a day that conflicted with my prior commitments, it was my responsibility to either find someone to cover or to show up and work. What a joke.

Joke
  more... of a company, run by some pretty incompetent clowns. The warehouse manager is a huge jerk when they're stressed.

The hard goods department is run by a couple cool dudes though.
Pros
Hour long lunch break, benefits after a month of service
Cons
Don't respect availability at all, unappreciative of work done, minimum wage, discount is a joke
n/a
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON19 September 2016
very friendly management and co-workers. The schedule was great, was able to work around school and other things without any problem.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPORTING LIFE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8