SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

Some great prduct, poorly managed stores.
Former Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Sporting Life is not what it used to be.
Managers don't care about their employees.
Star program is a joke.
The employee discount is too low.
Some managers have been around far too long.
Need change. Clean up the place.
HR staff is useless.
Ideally you need to send someone in from the US Head Office to properly review ALL management staff.
Wages are low and reviews rarely if ever happen.
Not an honest, positive work environment.
Would not recommend this co. to anyone.

Why include a question about the CEO?
A Typical Day at Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2015
On a typical day at work; consist of me making sure that items and well stocked up and sized ordered out on the floor. Ensuring that our customers are being serviced to the fullest, also using the call back list to inform customers of their items that have arrived or informing them on new items in their interest
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  EtobicokeSeptember 22, 2015
Good place to work for a first job. great management team. good working environment and knowledgeable/ friendly staff. overall great place.
Starts out fun but you soon hate the place
Sales Associate/Merchandising Team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2015
When I first started working at Sporting Life in 2011 I had a blast great coworkers and managers, it was pretty hectic but I enjoyed working there. As time past the customers being to seem as though they're more entitled to us bending backwards for them and more and more are coming in rude and etc but hey it's customer service job but the fact that i'm still getting paid minimum wage when some other places ei sportchek their employees get paid more to do less is frustrating.
They are also very back with keeping up with your annual reviews cause they don't want to give anyone a raise. Overall I would never recommend a friend to work here.
Prioductive environment with loving people all around
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OnSeptember 10, 2015
I was in a wonderful department with an excellent manager, that is one of the main reasons I got through this job. It can be stressful over the winter, but it is a loving environment to be in.
Pros
Works around your schedule
Cons
Long Hours
Decent retail job with opportunities to learn about Brands that they carry.
Sales Associate/Merchandiser/Re-stocker (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 27, 2015
Not a lot of opportunities to grow at my location. A lot of the new hires for managament positions were external. Solid staff that was easy to work with. Management team had good and bad moments. The most enjoyable part of work was working alongside my colleagues. The hardest part of the job was finding new tasks to do in a certain time period when the tasks for the day was finished early. There was a different things I did during the day at work. I would receive certain tasks that had to be completed by end of day as well as sell if needed.
Great work environment with excellent management team
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2015
work place environment was very positive and the company works hard to ensure employee knowledge through various information sessions and rep meetings
Great part time job during winter season
Men's Outwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 14, 2015
work day starts off slow but picks up during peak hours.
learned to make sales and interact with customers on a 1 to 1 base.
management are great they are willing to work with flexible hours and provide enough hours during the winter season.
co workers are young and fun to work with.
Pros
provide fun trips and lunches on random days
Cons
Little to no hours during off season.
Fun and friendly workplace where you can learn a lot
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 9, 2015
Opening procedures always begin punctually. The goals and duties for the day are outlined during the staff meeting in the morning. Excellent conversational skill is required as well as social and communication skills. Thorough knowledge of the products being sold is also required which is why there are "Product Knowledge" sessions a few times a month where brand representatives give presentations about the features of the product.
Pros
Excellent environment, friendly management and coworkers
Cons
Closing procedures may take a while
fun to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMay 31, 2015
A typical day at the location that I was at would be mostly me working by myself at the front area, therefore I was in charge of everything. Dealing with customers, keeping the cash area / front store area clean.

I definitely learned how to be a lot more organized as well as dealing with all sorts of different customers and their problems, how to handle certain situations, to always make the customer happy.

The managements weren't the greatest. they weren't organized, there were always something wrong with the employees pay rolls, favouritism was going on.. just overall not the greatest.

My co-workers were amazing. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming to everyone.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the fact that I would be the only one at the front cash and the merchandisers weren't trained on cash so i would have to deal with everything by myself and the costumers complaining if there was ever a line up and at the fact that there would only be one cash open. other than that everything was pretty easy going

I loved pretty much everything about the job. One of my favourite places to work at.
Bad workplace, terrible management.
Soft Goods Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2015
Management is the worst. They shell out write-ups like sign-in slips. Micro-managers. If you are looking for a change of scenery-- you will get it because they fire and hire everyday. No job security at all. Work here if you're in high school and absolutely need a job. However, the co-workers you will meet are for the most part, awesome. This job is not worth minimum wage.
Sporting Life
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OttawaMarch 27, 2015
Very good place to work at if your willing to put in a lot of hours. I don't recomend for students who want just a few hours. The shift are 10 hours a day and they often do not accomodate.
Cons
Long Working Hours
Amazing staff, horrible managment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MarkhamFebruary 28, 2015
I was the second top seller storewide. Finishing at a high of $322,000 within a span of 6 months. I worked within the Mens Outerwear department, alongside an amazing staff.
Pros
star program
Cons
management
sporting life was a good place to deal with high end customers and lots for product knowledge
Hard Goods Sales (Current Employee) –  2665 yonge streetFebruary 17, 2015
- sporting life was a great place to work
- lots of product knowledge
- good sale experience
- custom ski boot fitting
- ski tuning training
Pros
good deals on skis and make good connetions at sporting life
Cons
long hours and lots of customer
Okay place to work but would not advise anyone who is looking to move up in a company to work here.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 9, 2015
Sporting Life can be a very fun place to work however it sucks your soul right out of you. The customers are great, the employees act like they are in high school and gossip about everyone. The managers do not know how to manage they pay more attention on trying to catch an employee stealing than they do training an employee on how to do his/her job. The pay is minimum wage with no chance on getting a raise. There is employees that have been working there for over 5 yrs only making $11.50. Being a cashier there is a lot to learn but the managers do not train you on everything so majority of the work you learn by making mistakes. Overall it is an okay place to work if you can deal with headaches everyday.
Pros
learned a lot about customer service
Seasonal work
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 7, 2015
Knowing that Sporting Life job that I had was seasonal job, there was a lot of different thing to do which I liked.I work as a e-com person, pulling the stuff from the floor to the warehouse, scanning them and shipping them off to the customer.
Good (not Great) place to work
Former employee (Former Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 23, 2015
Great co-workers, managers (not so much). Only a few really good managers who were friendly and helpful, otherwise the others think they have this God like complex and feel like they can treat employees like dirt. Loss Prevention is the worse! They concentrate more on the employees instead of the customers that might actually be stealing. They also harass employees and I have seen them make some cry (on the sales floor!) pretty pathetic and very unprofessional! The employee discount not so good. If the item is on sale, you don't get a discount. Star program is good if you are a sales associate. Hours are flexible. Worked for other retail companies and overall this company is at the bottom of the totem pole.
Pros
star program
Cons
they dont hire a clean up crew. they make employees throw the garbage, vacuum the floors, sweep the floors etc.
Could be a fun and outgoing workplace
Re Stocker/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 27, 2014
As a restocker I would make sure all products are restocked fully onto the floor. Would make a list of what products were going to be needed. ( including shipments, etc). Help keep all departments presentable and neat. Made sure all products were hardtagged ( security tagged, folded clothing with paper, hung clothing traditionally). As a sales I would represent the product I was selling. And serve customers to the best of their abilities and treet them like guests at a home so they felt welcomed. I was one of the top sales throughout the store wide departments. My co workers are very competitive but we aren't even commission based so I maintained staying humble and making customers have a wonderful experience. Hardest part of the job was trying to get products for customers that weren't in our stores. I'd have to make a transfer and sometimes when they came in, other employees would take the product and make a sale to a different customer. I enjoyed helping customers and giving them knowledge on products that they were spending lots of money on.
Pros
star program. you get money added to your cheque for when you reach a certain sales point. 25, 000 = $25, 50, 000 = $50, 75, 000 = $75, etc..
Cons
employees stealing sales. ( while talking to a customer, interupting your conversation trying to take over) stealing transfers, taking products of holds that were for your customer
Exciting Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
It was a pleasure working at Sporting Life. My typical work day will include interaction with customers, co-workers, managers and sometimes store owners. I was trained how to operate all systems within the store. It was a bit of a challenge to maintain the change rooms on a busy day, keeping aware of merchandise that went in and out of the change rooms. Seeing a smile on my customer's face was the enjoyable part of my typical work day. We had many procedures to follow and enforce. All staff was a pleasure to work with and it was a great opportunity to work there.
Pros
free lunches, discounts, free transportation to product meetings, resonable managers
Cons
no over night cleaning staff, some staff were unreliable
Do not work here...
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2014
I would definitely stay away from this company. In recent years it has had major success but is starting to treat employees like absolute garbage. A typical day at work includes dumping new and exciting tasks without a care towards staff levels, or room available in the warehouses. Staff are overdue raises and reviews from several years and they have to chase around management for months on end. And when the raise is given its around 10 cents for the average worker while the big wigs enjoy ski trips, bonuses and other perks. The Human Resources department that should be impartial is actually in direct cahoots with management. The turnover is huge with people leaving for better opportunties.
Pros
learn a lot about customer servi