SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews in Canada

Merchandiser
(Yonge) - Merchandising Team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work was bringing items onto the floor, hard tagging items, either upstairs or downstairs or both at times. Bagging at cash. Co-Workers are really nice as well.Most enjoyable part are the employees, and the hardest part was just the hours in general.

I was 16 at the time when I was working at Sporting Life, so therefore I was a part-time worker and a student. In Ontario, students are required to work about 5 hours on weekdays when school is in process and 8 hours on Weekends. I wouldn't recommend a student working here. My typical schedule was working Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays. Tuesdays & Thursdays my schedule was 5:00-10:30, & keep in mind I lived in Scarborough and had to take the transit. You are also required a break after 4 hours and It was rare that I had my breaks. On Sundays I was scheduled from 9:30AM-8:00PM. That is 11 in a half hours. Students shouldn't be working those hours. It was also about an hour and a half bus ride home. And since I worked on Sundays and the trains weren't running until 9:00 am, I had to take the bus routes downtown, so I had to be up by 6:00 am. It is really hard for students to be working those hours! We have school and that needs to accommodated. I was also scheduled to work at 6:00am-5:30pm on boxing day. Therefore I would have to be up 4:00am and It was a hassle to get my schedule changed when I shouldn't even have been booked for such timing. Reasons why I had quit working here after nearly 3 months, it was too much. For all the work and the long hours that you work, you should in my opinion receive more than
  more... minimum wage.

Sporting Life is not a bad company, but students who are still in highschool should not consider it, especially if you are a merchandiser because merchandisers are required to stay after everybody is gone in the store.
Pros
Amazing costumer service, you feel welcomed by your employees.
Cons
Long Hours, No accommodations for students
motivates you to find another job and be successful in life
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2016
yeeah that job ain't sh**t lol.. they give you good hours though. i definitely would no recommend somebody that has a short attention span nor should a highly enthusiastic individual ever work there.
Pros
good hours
sales associate position
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2016
No training except for 9 hours on paper work, no actual product knowledge training. Manager started pushing to make sales on the second day. Co-workers were very nice people, customers were well off and were very nice too.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
you are told to sell thousands $ of clothes right the way, commission is so small you're still going to be making minimum wage
Busy environment
PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 17, 2016
It was an alright job. A typical day of work consisted of maintaining the cleanliness of the department I was designated and assisting any customers. I learned how to deal with conflicts in a professional demeanour with both customers and fellow employees. My previous co-workers were very immature and lacked the ability to help anyone but themselves or take responsibility for their actions. Overall, it is a very nice place to work with good management.
Pros
Free lunch during holiday shifts
Cons
Immature co-workers
Best thing about it is the people you work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Very long hours, not allowed to socialize with other staff. Poor store organization, lower managers and associates would get let go every month without explanation. If you want to feel your soul drained for very low pay and have no job security this is the job for you.
Only pros are some of the staff are food, and the access to pro-deals. The in-store discount is barely a discount. Beware of upper management.
Pros
pro-deals, co-workers
Cons
really long retail hours, poor upper management, no commission for sales, no apparent job security
Some great prduct, poorly managed stores.
Former Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Sporting Life is not what it used to be.
Managers don't care about their employees.
Star program is a joke.
The employee discount is too low.
Some managers have been around far too long.
Need change. Clean up the place.
HR staff is useless.
Ideally you need to send someone in from the US Head Office to properly review ALL management staff.
Wages are low and reviews rarely if ever happen.
Not an honest, positive work environment.
Would not recommend this co. to anyone.

Why include a question about the CEO?
A Typical Day at Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2015
On a typical day at work; consist of me making sure that items and well stocked up and sized ordered out on the floor. Ensuring that our customers are being serviced to the fullest, also using the call back list to inform customers of their items that have arrived or informing them on new items in their interest
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  EtobicokeSeptember 22, 2015
Good place to work for a first job. great management team. good working environment and knowledgeable/ friendly staff. overall great place.
Starts out fun but you soon hate the place
Sales Associate/Merchandising Team (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2015
When I first started working at Sporting Life in 2011 I had a blast great coworkers and managers, it was pretty hectic but I enjoyed working there. As time past the customers being to seem as though they're more entitled to us bending backwards for them and more and more are coming in rude and etc but hey it's customer service job but the fact that i'm still getting paid minimum wage when some other places ei sportchek their employees get paid more to do less is frustrating.
They are also very back with keeping up with your annual reviews cause they don't want to give anyone a raise. Overall I would never recommend a friend to work here.
Prioductive environment with loving people all around
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OnSeptember 10, 2015
I was in a wonderful department with an excellent manager, that is one of the main reasons I got through this job. It can be stressful over the winter, but it is a loving environment to be in.
Pros
Works around your schedule
Cons
Long Hours
Decent retail job with opportunities to learn about Brands that they carry.
Sales Associate/Merchandiser/Re-stocker (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 27, 2015
Not a lot of opportunities to grow at my location. A lot of the new hires for managament positions were external. Solid staff that was easy to work with. Management team had good and bad moments. The most enjoyable part of work was working alongside my colleagues. The hardest part of the job was finding new tasks to do in a certain time period when the tasks for the day was finished early. There was a different things I did during the day at work. I would receive certain tasks that had to be completed by end of day as well as sell if needed.
Great work environment with excellent management team
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2015
work place environment was very positive and the company works hard to ensure employee knowledge through various information sessions and rep meetings
Great part time job during winter season
Men's Outwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJune 14, 2015
work day starts off slow but picks up during peak hours.
learned to make sales and interact with customers on a 1 to 1 base.
management are great they are willing to work with flexible hours and provide enough hours during the winter season.
co workers are young and fun to work with.
Pros
provide fun trips and lunches on random days
Cons
Little to no hours during off season.
Fun and friendly workplace where you can learn a lot
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 9, 2015
Opening procedures always begin punctually. The goals and duties for the day are outlined during the staff meeting in the morning. Excellent conversational skill is required as well as social and communication skills. Thorough knowledge of the products being sold is also required which is why there are "Product Knowledge" sessions a few times a month where brand representatives give presentations about the features of the product.
Pros
Excellent environment, friendly management and coworkers
Cons
Closing procedures may take a while
fun to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMay 31, 2015
A typical day at the location that I was at would be mostly me working by myself at the front area, therefore I was in charge of everything. Dealing with customers, keeping the cash area / front store area clean.

I definitely learned how to be a lot more organized as well as dealing with all sorts of different customers and their problems, how to handle certain situations, to always make the customer happy.

The managements weren't the greatest. they weren't organized, there were always something wrong with the employees pay rolls, favouritism was going on.. just overall not the greatest.

My co-workers were amazing. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming to everyone.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the fact that I would be the only one at the front cash and the merchandisers weren't trained on cash so i would have to deal with everything by myself and the costumers complaining if there was ever a line up and at the fact that there would only be one cash open. other than that everything was pretty easy going

I loved pretty much everything about the job. One of my favourite places to work at.
Bad workplace, terrible management.
Soft Goods Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2015
Management is the worst. They shell out write-ups like sign-in slips. Micro-managers. If you are looking for a change of scenery-- you will get it because they fire and hire everyday. No job security at all. Work here if you're in high school and absolutely need a job. However, the co-workers you will meet are for the most part, awesome. This job is not worth minimum wage.
Sporting Life
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OttawaMarch 27, 2015
Very good place to work at if your willing to put in a lot of hours. I don't recomend for students who want just a few hours. The shift are 10 hours a day and they often do not accomodate.
Cons
Long Working Hours
Amazing staff, horrible managment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MarkhamFebruary 28, 2015
I was the second top seller storewide. Finishing at a high of $322,000 within a span of 6 months. I worked within the Mens Outerwear department, alongside an amazing staff.
Pros
star program
Cons
management
sporting life was a good place to deal with high end customers and lots for product knowledge
Hard Goods Sales (Current Employee) –  2665 yonge streetFebruary 17, 2015
- sporting life was a great place to work
- lots of product knowledge
- good sale experience
- custom ski boot fitting
- ski tuning training
Pros
good deals on skis and make good connetions at sporting life
Cons
long hours and lots of customer
Okay place to work but would not advise anyone who is looking to move up in a company to work here.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 9, 2015
Sporting Life can be a very fun place to work however it sucks your soul right out of you. The customers are great, the employees act like they are in high school and gossip about everyone. The managers do not know how to manage they pay more attention on trying to catch an employee stealing than they do training an employee on how to do his/her job. The pay is minimum wage with no chance on getting a raise. There is employees that have been working there for over 5 yrs only making $11.50. Being a cashier there is a lot to learn but the managers do not train you on everything so majority of the work you learn by making mistakes. Overall it is an okay place to work if you can deal with headaches everyday.
Pros
learned a lot about customer service