SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

No advancement opportunities
Cashier / Sales Associate / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2016
Great customer service but bad work environment, unapproachable management, no advancement opportunities, no recognition for people's potential, no benefits to employees.
Pros
Product knowledge sessions before starting the day
Not worth it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 November 2016
Honestly,not worth it.

the management sucks, they push you around everywhere and sometimes even bully you.

I quit after 2 days, my first day was basically me being pushed around everywhere and getting yelled at for not knowing anything. Like it's my first day, what do to expect?

The whole place is run by bunch of teenagers, not profession
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2016
The sporting life team is a very energetic and happy employees
never a moment where i dont feel welcomed
management is very understanding and well organized
my co-workers are very happy and inviting people
very respectful people
i enjoy the most about the job is the employees and the customers
very polite
Great, well rounded enviroment
Cash Lead & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 November 2016
Sporting Life is a great company. I learnt many transferrable skills that can be used at any other workplace. Loss Prevention is highly recognized by Sporting life, I learnt many valuable tips. Staff is amazing and managers are considerate and always want to teach staff new product information and skills.

Overall, Great Experience
Terrible managers, hours, and wages.
Sales Associate - Soft Goods (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
Sorry this is long but it's worth the read if you're considering working at Sporting Life. I worked part time at the Sporting Life in Calgary until I had to quit. Some weeks I would have to work 25 hours and other weeks I wouldn't be scheduled at all. When I applied they said we would be working 15 hours per week but it turned out that we would work less or more than that. My boyfriend worked at the same place and he got fired on his birthday because we were "over staffed" even though we had just hired 45 new people. They gave us commission but it was 0.01%. Why even bother? The schedule would say something like 1-Close but everyday we'd have to stay either 30, 40, or even 80 minutes after we close in order to vacuum, organize, check change rooms, fold, wipe down mirrors, etc. That would happen everyday. There was also one manager that said she "didn't give 15 minute breaks to people who work 5 to close". We are supposed to get 15 breaks for 5 to close but that manager decided we weren't allowed them. I didn't feel appreciated or respected. I quit because my managers made me cry. I was a great employee, never missed a shift, never complained, I was always friendly. I was always worried about being fired for no reason. My managers were talking badly about me while on the sales floor, I could hear them clearly. My manager came up to me and threatened to send me home because I wasn't selling enough. When I told my other manager about it she didn't believe me. That day, I wasn't feeling well and I was in an unfamiliar department because I took someone's shift. They didn't cut me  more... any slack, they said I was on the bottom of the sales list even though I talked to 3 other people who literally sold nothing all day, and I had already sold 5 things. So that was a lie. They compared me to other co-workers making me feel bad about myself. There's a list in the break room that has everyone ranked based on how much they had sold. It made it into such a competition and a hostile work environment. Many people I worked with also had the same complaints. DO NOT WORK HERE. The only pro about working here were the other employees. I made quite a few friends. They were all nice people. It was just the terrible managers who were on a power trip. Talking to some of the customers was nice too because I would get to hear stories and meet some very friendly people. The one thing that wasn't good about customers was that they would get annoyed because every employee would ask them how they were doing. The managers would get mad if we didn't talk to every customer we see so I understand the customers' anger.  less
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
Too many shifts and not enough shifts, no respect, bad management, low commissions, management only cares about how much you sell, competitive work environment, long hours, no breaks.
They run it like the military
Hardgoods Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 October 2016
Good people, poor management. They want the world but only pay minimum wage. Next to nothing in benefits. Never pay overtime.
Pros
Will offer full time hours if you need it
Cons
Poor management
Highly Competitive and overall great place to work, enjoyable atmosphere.
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 September 2016
Sporting Life has been one of my favourite places to work, they have given me lots of hours as I have asked and provided me with a great department to work in. This job has been very convenient and a fun place to work, I have honed my customer service skills to a whole new level and learned a lot more about retail sales tactics and execution. I very much enjoyed Sporting Life's Employee incentive program as it made it a level playing field all the while a very competitive scene which I naturally excel in. Would definitely recommend this job to a friend who's looking for a great place to work. The hardest part of this job would be have critical thinking and problem solving skills to give the customer the best product that's right for their budget and situation. The co-workers are also the best part because they believe that teamwork makes the dream work and are very helpful all around. Management is very lenient, meaning that they will be very flexible when necessary and are very motivating to say the least.
Pros
0.1% commission - I'm Top 3 in Sales Record at $500k+
Cons
Must greet at store entrance for an hour sometimes if necessary, taking you off the sales floor.
The work life balance is amazing
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
Great team to be working with- I love that I don't have to take much of my work home! Enjoying the busy seasons and the quiet ones, the merchandisers always display the store beautifully!
Cosmetically? Beautiful. Everything else? Pretty sub par
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2016
Really really awful place to work. The store is going to look phenomenal and it will make you feel cool hanging out in it.

But that is pretty much where it ends.

They only pay minimum wage, which is garbage for how much work they expected us to do to help them get the store put together and ready for opening. And on top of that, not really any appreciation for us working so hard and doing things not in the job description. I get that the store isn't even open yet and that there's work to be done before we open and just get to sell clothing and footwear, but there was zero appreciation for what we were doing and if we took even the shortest 30 second breather a manager would be there to call us out and get us back to work.

The stress was real high amongst the managers, and they didn't hesitate to take it out on the peasants making minimum wage, making for an uncomfortable work environment.

And this is where I reached my breaking point. When the schedule was released. They assured me in the interview they could work around my previous commitments I had before accepting the job at Sporting Life, and even signed off on it on paper. But then the schedule came out and they accommodated maybe one day of the week to my previous commitments. Upon emailing the scheduler about this confusion, I was just told that they never agreed to anything, and that they would "do their best" to accommodate, but if I was scheduled for a day that conflicted with my prior commitments, it was my responsibility to either find someone to cover or to show up and work. What a joke.

Joke
  more... of a company, run by some pretty incompetent clowns. The warehouse manager is a huge jerk when they're stressed.

The hard goods department is run by a couple cool dudes though.
Pros
Hour long lunch break, benefits after a month of service
Cons
Don't respect availability at all, unappreciative of work done, minimum wage, discount is a joke
n/a
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON19 September 2016
very friendly management and co-workers. The schedule was great, was able to work around school and other things without any problem.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Administrator/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
Sporting life is a great company to work for, everyone works hard and does their part. Management are also very friendly.
hostile work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
I learned that you cannot rely on anyone in this store for help. Co-workers were rude and disrespectful and exhibited hostility.
Great Place to work
Customer Service, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 July 2016
I really enjoyed my time working in Sporting Life. They Offered on-going training for employees to increase their knowledge and expertise in area of selling and customer interactions.
Friendly work environment
Stock Associate (2015) (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON30 June 2016
I learned the efficient way of stocking with the principle of utilizing minimum space for as many items.
Pros
Easy to commute
Cons
Easy to get lost in the stock room
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2016
It's productive and fun workplace. Extremely fast pace environment. Able to enhance customer service ability.
Excellent Management team
A Good Place to Start
Sales associate for Men's Outerwear (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON19 June 2016
Overall, Sporting Life is a good place to start a career in retail. The schedules are organized well, and the environment is good. There is a really bad system for tracking employee sales.
Pros
Good Environment, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Unorganized, Not the Best Managers, Long Hours Cleaning, Terrible Commission Rate (0.01%).
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 June 2016
Working at Sporting Life made grow as a Sales Representative.
Achieving daily goals at the store taught me it is important to have career targets no matter how difficult can be , you always have to try to accomplish them at the end of the day this will be the best feeling ever.

Good environment and really nice place to work.
Fun and Enjoyable
Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2016
flexible hours, people are awesome to work with, departments are understaffed, salary isn't comparable with amount of work.

great place to build a lot of experience
warehouse clerk
Warehouse Worker/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 June 2016
did not like working here, i learned a lot lots of nice people work there any in the end you make lots of friends
Lessons learned
E-commerce Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2016
Great place to gain experience, learn the retail world and meet new people. You get the opportunity to grow as a person and learn new things!
Pros
Discount, friendly co-workers, nice ambience, holidays off
Cons
Negative customers, hours can be long

2.7