SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

Very welcoming and professional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2018
I had a great time working there and enjoyed the experience i got from working with the people and interacting with the customers! Everyone was so accommodating. For example, if another department needed help, other people from other departments would fill in the gaps.
Pros
Amazing environment to be in
Rude staff & ruder customers
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 February 2018
It might be a nice place to work if everyone likes you there but they sure make you feel excluded from everything if they don't like you. I learned to only depend on myself and to keep trying my hardest even if no one showed appreciation for the hard work. I'm not the only one who felt excluded they had a girl there who had been trying her hardest as well by working two jobs. I went to go speak to her and was told not too because she talked too much and they ended up firing her. if your Chinese or Pakistan they love you there but as for us white people they treat us like we are the ones who just hoped off the boat into a foreign country and pull the racist card when someone like me has social anxiety and has troubles communicating with strangers. That might not be directed just at Sporting Life staff it could very well be because this location was in Markham but the staff makes the business and I would look for better associates maybe ones who had a passion for what they do and who aren't just thinking of how they can talk someone into buying something over priced to earn a bit more on their paycheck.,
Pros
food court in mall
Cons
everyone has their head shoved up their a**
Good for first job, nothing else
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Management is very bitter and curt to new hires even full time employees which created a divide that was very hostile to be working in. The job itself is a great starting job and teaches you how to work with a team in retail
Pros
the retail experience
Cons
management
You'll meet some amazing people but beware of the mess that they call management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2018
I liked the people I worked with and I liked when you met a customer that you truly got to engage with however that's about it. In the Calgary location alone there was 3 managers for menswear, 3 more hardwood, 3 for cash, and 2 for women and kids. It was horrible working downstairs in men's and constantly have 6 or 6 managers watching you. This doesn't include all the other managers who work behind the scene; they all disagree on several topics.

We got quizzed about brand knowledge as well as material knowledge and I actually enjoyed that part. Brand representatives also come occasionally and you can get some rare merch out of that.

I hated how the managers there would behave, they gossiped about workers, forced me to run around the store (I would have to circle the store 10 times in under a minute), and you'll get sent off in another department that you know nothing about. In my time there, instead of selling just menswear, I sold backpacks, lots of shoes, women's clothes, kids books, kid toys, even a bike.
Pros
good for high schoolers, learn lots of cool stuff
Cons
Horrible management
Great Atmosphere and Family
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 January 2018
Feels great working together with the rest of the crew. Depends on your department as well. Other departments such as sportswear and juniors is a hassle during closing time due to the mess people make. It is best to be in footwear or outerwear preferably.
Pros
Bonuses and product knowledge sessions
Cons
Weak commissions
Loads of fun and a great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 December 2017
I was able to expand my knowledge on sporting goods as there would be constant presentations on the products we offered. Interacting with customers was also a treat as most discussions would revolve around sports (high recommend if you love sports)!
Bad Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2017
Did not enjoy my time working here as i felt un-welcomed to the sales team. Management style was odd and training was minimal. generally bad atmosphere in the workplace.
Pros
employee deals
Cons
environment
Great environment. Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 December 2017
Company had a great vibe to it, when selling items to customers and providing service. It was unreasonable how much the pushed the associates to make sales, despite not offering commission. Working hours were done well. Some of the managers were hard to deal with, but most were kind and reasonable.
Overstaffing is a problem, among others.
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2017
The job at first seemed solid; they are efficient in their training, and you are given product knowledge on some brands, etc. . However, from the beginning, the management team seems to make sure that they instill a great level of pressure in their employees, with a commission system that is NOT fair or fruitful in any way. The management team expects everyone to be around the same range in sales, despite every department having very different price ranges of items AND employees not having the same hours. As well, they greatly overstaffed, which lead to at least 15 employees losing their jobs within 3 months. They do not even fire based off of performance, as some who were doing splendid in sales got fired immediately. There is no job security for someone who is full or even part-time here. As well, the discount just sucks given how expensive the items in store are. The only good thing was the flexibility of hours, but they tend to cut them short unexpectedly.
Pros
flexible breaks, product knowledge
Cons
literally every other aspect involved
I dreaded working here since the very beginning.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2017
I started with the company when opening a new location. The upside to working is that the discount is decent and people you work with are a great set of people. They offer product knowledge and sometimes you get cool free things after learning. Everything else is just awful, commission is ridiculously lousy for a place where everything is expensive. The pressure and atmosphere of working is very hostile. The management team is one of the worst. At this particular location, a manager will act kind and nice to you but can turn on you so quick and treat you poorly. The management team is very fake and they act nice but they instil so much fear into you, enough for you to dread working here. I know many who have been planning on quitting this job since the beginning because they dread it that much. What I don’t understand is what their thought process is when’s it comes to firing people, it’s like they pull names out of a hat. Within 1-2 months 20+ people were terminated.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management and they say closing takes 10 minutes it really takes 1 hour.
productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 November 2017
The company offers growth and the ability to thrive in fast-paced environments. The managers help you understand products so you are able to sell them efficiently and effectively.
sporting life
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON28 October 2017
overall nice store unorganized management ,helped to set up the store because it is a new location, the process was quick and diligent because there was many employees
Very friendly and professional working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillcrest Mall, Richmond Hill21 October 2017
Sporting Life in my opinion one of the best canadian retail stores that can satisfy any type of custumer with the product that they provide. The environment in store is very friendly and highly professional if they are always spend time on teaching their employees new and all products to highly satisfy their clients!
Teamwork and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2017
Great team environment that you get to be a part of, the management are fun, and encourage to get to know your coworkers. Lots of fun doing training sessions about the product, first retail experience and learned about customer service. Continues to make adjustment to make things work.
Pros
teamwork, fun
Product Knowledge Rockstars
Sales associate for sporting goods retail store (Former Employee) –  Yonge and Lytton15 September 2017
My biggest take away from my time at Sporting Life was their commitment to their staffs knowledge of the various brands they sell; every morning we had a representative from a different vendor visit our store for a 30 minute presentation about their brand. To this day I still point out the benefits of someones jacket.
Good company but some management just soooooooooo bad.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 August 2017
I had good time working with colleagues, I can say everyone is friendly, and nice to each other, and very very helpful, I learned a great deal, and my department manager is really good at the job. Truly.
During high season the work is really busy and tiring, especially when you lack of people, but I feel satisfied doing my job. My job is so fun.

However, some people just should not be in management position at all, always doing wrong things, not professional, not organized, told others doing wrong things and favouritism. No one really likes that person in the team, even in other departments. No one even wants to seat with that person at the break room if you know what I am sayin. 3 people quit within 2 months (including me), others want to quit.
Pros
good product, good co-workers
Cons
management (that 1 person)
They have a lot to learn
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2017
They have a lot to learn.

Their salaries are not competitive
Management is very new
Cut throat atmosphere
Good group of people with good intentions
Pros
cool product
Cons
everything else
Terrible Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2017
Not a bad store to work in over all and the hours are flexible but the management is terrible and played by favourites. Fellow employees are good company.
Fun, but irritating.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2017
Sporting Life was an interesting company to work with. Pretty much a typical day at work as a sales associate was to reach the daily quota and give exemplary customer service. It could be fun at times, but other times it would be pretty discouraging to keep on working there. Contrary to popular belief, the more pressure there is, the funner the job gets, because you become more competitive, and you focus solely on reaching your goal, so managers and supervisors are normally not behind you watching every little move you make. The problem was having an unorganised management with too many supervisors that never agreed on one thing, nor worked as a team. This unfortunately fell on the general associates, because they take the orders from them, and it can be a bit confusing when one manager tells you to do one thing, and the other supervisor gets mad at you for doing that thing, and asks you to do the complete opposite. With them, there is no room for understanding. The benefit of this is you have an entire workforce that feels the same way, so you can share similar experiences and situations, and create a bond through this. The negative thing about this is, once they see a large group of workers complaining about management, they don't have a problem with firing 20+ people in a single week. The store itself is nice and brings a positive vibe with it, and its entertaining to simply be a part of it. In the end, you are there to work and try to be good at what you do, but it can be a bit irritating when the management you need to work with is completely disorganised.
Pros
Fun environment, Fun culture, Easy to bond with co-workers, Entertaining store.
Cons
Terrible Management, Unorganised shifts, No commission, You're expendable to the company.
boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2017
management is a bust, no room for advancement, constantly under the eye of management to uphold high standards of service yet they give the worst commission ever and minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPORTING LIFE. Our community is ready to answer.