SPORTING LIFE

SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and friendly workplace where you can learn a lot
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 9, 2015
Pros: Excellent environment, friendly management and coworkers
Cons: Closing procedures may take a while
Opening procedures always begin punctually. The goals and duties for the day are outlined during the staff meeting in the morning. Excellent conversational skill is required as well as social and communication skills. Thorough knowledge of the products being sold is also required which is why there are "Product Knowledge" sessions a few times a month where brand representatives give presentations about the features of the product.
fun to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee), North York, ONMay 31, 2015
A typical day at the location that I was at would be mostly me working by myself at the front area, therefore I was in charge of everything. Dealing with customers, keeping the cash area / front store area clean.

I definitely learned how to be a lot more organized as well as dealing with all sorts of different customers and their problems, how to handle certain situations, to always make the customer happy.

The managements weren't the greatest. they weren't organized, there were always something wrong with the employees pay rolls, favouritism was going on.. just overall not the greatest.

My co-workers were amazing. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming to everyone.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the fact that I would be the only one at the front cash and the merchandisers weren't trained on cash so i would have to deal with everything by myself and the costumers complaining if there was ever a line up and at the fact that there would only be one cash open. other than that everything was pretty easy going

I loved pretty much everything about the job. One of my favourite places to work at.
Bad workplace, terrible management.
Soft Goods Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2015
Management is the worst. They shell out write-ups like sign-in slips. Micro-managers. If you are looking for a change of scenery-- you will get it because they fire and hire everyday. No job security at all. Work here if you're in high school and absolutely need a job. However, the co-workers you will meet are for the most part, awesome. This job is not worth minimum wage.
Sporting Life
Sales Associate (Current Employee), OttawaMarch 27, 2015
Cons: Long Working Hours
Very good place to work at if your willing to put in a lot of hours. I don't recomend for students who want just a few hours. The shift are 10 hours a day and they often do not accomodate.
Amazing staff, horrible managment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), MarkhamFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: star program
Cons: management
I was the second top seller storewide. Finishing at a high of $322,000 within a span of 6 months. I worked within the Mens Outerwear department, alongside an amazing staff.
sporting life was a good place to deal with high end customers and lots for product knowledge
Hard Goods Sales (Current Employee), 2665 yonge streetFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: good deals on skis and make good connetions at sporting life
Cons: long hours and lots of customer
- sporting life was a great place to work
- lots of product knowledge
- good sale experience
- custom ski boot fitting
- ski tuning training
Okay place to work but would not advise anyone who is looking to move up in a company to work here.
Cashier (Current Employee), TorontoFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: learned a lot about customer service
Cons: long hours
Sporting Life can be a very fun place to work however it sucks your soul right out of you. The customers are great, the employees act like they are in high school and gossip about everyone. The managers do not know how to manage they pay more attention on trying to catch an employee stealing than they do training an employee on how to do his/her job. The pay is minimum wage with no chance on getting a raise. There is employees that have been working there for over 5 yrs only making $11.50. Being a cashier there is a lot to learn but the managers do not train you on everything so majority of the work you learn by making mistakes. Overall it is an okay place to work if you can deal with headaches everyday.
Seasonal work
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONFebruary 7, 2015
Knowing that Sporting Life job that I had was seasonal job, there was a lot of different thing to do which I liked.I work as a e-com person, pulling the stuff from the floor to the warehouse, scanning them and shipping them off to the customer.
Good (not Great) place to work
Former employee (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: star program
Cons: they dont hire a clean up crew. they make employees throw the garbage, vacuum the floors, sweep the floors etc.
Great co-workers, managers (not so much). Only a few really good managers who were friendly and helpful, otherwise the others think they have this God like complex and feel like they can treat employees like dirt. Loss Prevention is the worse! They concentrate more on the employees instead of the customers that might actually be stealing. They also harass employees and I have seen them make some cry (on the sales floor!) pretty pathetic and very unprofessional! The employee discount not so good. If the item is on sale, you don't get a discount. Star program is good if you are a sales associate. Hours are flexible. Worked for other retail companies and overall this company is at the bottom of the totem pole.
Could be a fun and outgoing workplace
Re Stocker/Merchandiser (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 27, 2014
Pros: star program. you get money added to your cheque for when you reach a certain sales point. 25, 000 = $25, 50, 000 = $50, 75, 000 = $75, etc..
Cons: employees stealing sales. ( while talking to a customer, interupting your conversation trying to take over) stealing transfers, taking products of holds that were for your customer
As a restocker I would make sure all products are restocked fully onto the floor. Would make a list of what products were going to be needed. ( including shipments, etc). Help keep all departments presentable and neat. Made sure all products were hardtagged ( security tagged, folded clothing with paper, hung clothing traditionally). As a sales I would represent the product I was selling. And serve customers to the best of their abilities and treet them like guests at a home so they felt welcomed. I was one of the top sales throughout the store wide departments. My co workers are very competitive but we aren't even commission based so I maintained staying humble and making customers have a wonderful experience. Hardest part of the job was trying to get products for customers that weren't in our stores. I'd have to make a transfer and sometimes when they came in, other employees would take the product and make a sale to a different customer. I enjoyed helping customers and giving them knowledge on products that they were spending lots of money on.
Exciting Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches, discounts, free transportation to product meetings, resonable managers
Cons: no over night cleaning staff, some staff were unreliable
It was a pleasure working at Sporting Life. My typical work day will include interaction with customers, co-workers, managers and sometimes store owners. I was trained how to operate all systems within the store. It was a bit of a challenge to maintain the change rooms on a busy day, keeping aware of merchandise that went in and out of the change rooms. Seeing a smile on my customer's face was the enjoyable part of my typical work day. We had many procedures to follow and enforce. All staff was a pleasure to work with and it was a great opportunity to work there.
Do not work here...
Unknown (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2014
Pros: learn a lot about customer servi
I would definitely stay away from this company. In recent years it has had major success but is starting to treat employees like absolute garbage. A typical day at work includes dumping new and exciting tasks without a care towards staff levels, or room available in the warehouses. Staff are overdue raises and reviews from several years and they have to chase around management for months on end. And when the raise is given its around 10 cents for the average worker while the big wigs enjoy ski trips, bonuses and other perks. The Human Resources department that should be impartial is actually in direct cahoots with management. The turnover is huge with people leaving for better opportunties.
Sporting life is a fun place to work at and provides a lot of learning experience
Merchandiser (Former Employee), TorontoJune 30, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: long hours
Typical day at work was to sign in,report to the manager for instructions and to ensure that the inventory re-stacked and that everything is presentable for the store.I learnt a lot about loss prevention, how to approach customers, how to baggage clothes etc. My co-workers were nice towards me as i got along well with them. The hardest part of the job was completing a task while helping customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and it was a great learning experience for the work force in the future.
Winter seasonal job
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2014
Working at sporting life during the winter season was challenging yet fun. Although the thing about working in retail you have to be nice to all of the customers no matter what.
Fun and exciting voluntary position
Registry Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2014
this is a voluntary position that I do outside of work.
i keep a well balance work life schedule
diverse environment, great job culture.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 19, 2014
Pros: well balanced schedule
Cons: not physically demanding enough
helped me develop a lot of personal skills and gave me hands on experience in working one on one with customers. typical day at work consisted of restocking, setting up displays, basic housekeeping, as well as regular customer interaction and sales of hard goods products. most enjoyable part of the job was the social aspect of relating product to the consumers needs. I didnt really find this job to challenging as social skills is one of my strong suits and I would be interested in pushing myself harder in order to learn skills in other areas such as more labor intensive work.
minimum effort for minimum wage
eCommerce Slave (Current Employee), 2665 yonge stMay 15, 2014
Pros: it's on yonge street
Cons: pretty much everything else
if you're looking for a job that will suck the soul right out of you, and where the managers couldn't give two squirts about you...this is the place! they pay minimum wage, and don't give raises over 10 cents. there's people who have been working here for almost 14 years, and they're only JUST making $14/hr. it's pathetic.

i won't lie, i could give less than half a **** about the customers or their concerns. why should i? the managers don't care about me, so i don't care about their customers. sporting life claims to be passionate, but from what i can gather...the ONLY thing they're passionate about is taking your money. which they do...hand over fist.

seriously...work somewhere else. you'll hate yourself if you work here...lord knows i do.
Good work environment
Footwear and Hardgoods Lead Hand (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: good place to learn and grown as a person especially for business
Cons: lack of good salary
Sporting Life is a good place to learn about big business and how the little things affect the overall aspects of the company in terms of sales. It is a good work environment for people of many ages, races, and cultures.
Working at Sporting Life
Sales Associate (Current Employee), SherwayJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at work involves attending a 30-minute PK (product knowledge) meeting prior to beginning the shift, and then continuing the work day by greeting and assisting customers. During the points of the shift where no customers are in the store, I occupy my time by keeping the floor clean, and ensuring all products are where they are supposed to be.
During my time with this company, I have learned customer service skills, and have gained knowledge regarding the products sold in the store.
I enjoy the managers a lot, and specifically liked that they are understanding and appreciative of the efforts I continue to present. I also enjoy and work well with my co-workers.
Good company bad management
Ecommerce Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule if you're a student, employee discount, free ski trip
Cons: low pay, long shifts, lazy managers, work over load, unrealistic customers
Ecommerce is poorly ran, it was truly running like a sweatshop in the basement of the Yonge street location. We were always understaffed and everyone was lazy, most of the time I ended up eating my luch while typing a report that a manager should've done. Everyone pretends to care when the owners come around, once they leave it's back on the slave ship.

About SPORTING LIFE

The Sporting Life is invigorating. The Sporting Life is fun. The Sporting Life is satisfying. Its ski, its après ski and – Read more