Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Not Enough Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON19 April 2016
Advertise for help, but fail to say that they can't guarantee hours.
I applied and was told 9-20hrs a week.
Who can live off that?
You want a revolving door of staff keep it up!
Fun workplace, great people.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB21 January 2016
Slow paced work environment, great people. Learned to persuade customers into buying the right merchandise to suit their needs. Built social, and verbal communication skills with people, and overall became a more fluent speaker, and worker.
Pros
Flexible shifts, and hours.
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and engaging environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 April 2016
really fun place to work and even better people to work with. management was great and it was a great experience to learn customer service
Horrible management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan23 March 2016
If your not part of the crowd they will set you up to fail. Store managers like to talk behind employees backs and will starve them out in stead of training them properly
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
Productive and friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 March 2016
Everyone part of the sport chek community provides a friendly and professional environment. All of the management team as well as the employees make me look forward to going into work ever
Fun workplace and very flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2015
Good job for high school students because of the managers who understand the minimum hours you can work. Expected to be able to multitask with folding clothes, greeting customers, helping customers with questions, and answering phone calls. Busy workplace but as long as you stay focused and dedicated it will be a good working experience. Enjoyable staff and friendly managers who help get to know you on a more personal level. Sports atmosphere so if your interested in sports its a great job to share your knowledge and learn about new things during your training process.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Not much training preperation
Flexible schedules and good discount
Cashier/Clothing Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2016
My time at Sportchek has been enjoyable. For the most part management is very good and also very flexible with scheduling. The discount is also a great bonus.
Dynamic workplace requiring technical knowledge and excellent customer relation skills within the sporting good and active lifestyl worlds.
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2016
I was the department manager for the sporting goods section, tasked with training and developing a team of over 20 sales staff, ensuring inventory integrity, dealing with technical customer relation experiences, merchandising, and other requirements that occur in a fast-passed work environment. I had the opportunity to create an immediate direct positive influence in all of my customers sporting and personal lives, which provided me with the unique experience of developing a substantial return customer basis, and allowed me to provide an elite level of technical knowledge and experience for each and every customer. I have also had the unique opportunity of aiding in various volunteer events, facilitating underprivileged youth with sporting equipment, and a means to stay healthy and active.
Pros
Training and development with the sporting world
Cons
Lag in responsiveness from head office due to a corporate approach
Standard Retail Job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 April 2016
Relatively standard retail job. It all depends on the store leadership, and it can either be a rewarding or tedious job.
Productive and fun work environment.
Full-time Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leaside, ON19 January 2016
A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.
Scarce Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2016
Not enough hours. Favoritism a large factor in getting hours. Full time very difficult to come by. Was eligible for raise but never given one with constantly changing management. No stability.
Overall great working environment
associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON18 January 2016
Sport Chek is a very productive, and effective work place that i would highly recommend applying to, if you are willing to have a great team working behind you.
Pros
Balanced hours
Cons
One of my favourite jobs
Sales (Current Employee) –  Gander, NL19 December 2015
Although not the best paying job in my life time it was a very enjoyably workplace with excellent management. I got to work with the public every day and sell equipment and clothing that I am passionate about
Pros
amazing empoyee discount
Cons
Wages
Fast paced enviroment with great training tools available.
Department Sale's Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ON24 November 2015
Everyday is a new challenge and is a great way to develop into something much bigger. All the experiences I have had and all the skills I have developed will allow me to excel anywhere I go and I am very thankful for that.
organized and fun
Hard Goods Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
Sport Chek was very cohesive so everybody understood their role in the company and day to day duties. It was a nice friendly environment.
Sportchek
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 September 2015
Great job for the sport lover, lots of knowledge can be obtained. Management can at times be understanding. The hardest part of the job is flexibility with hours, hard to get time away if there is an emergency because the employees themselves have to find their own replacements for shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customers and other employees.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
depending on other employees to take shifts
Fun workplace that allowed me to further develop a set of skills I aimed to improve. Offered up other learning useful opportunities as well.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 September 2015
This was a good company to work for. Being in the Service Shop has allowed me to further develop my bicycle maintenance skills that I sought to improve. While working there I learned how to fine tune skis and snowboards, sharpen skates, rotate inline skate wheels, string rackets, and more. This was a good experience to work in a shop and with sports equipment.
Pros
Learning opportunities with tools, heavy machinery, customer interactions, sales
Cons
Company couldn't commit to full-time positions very easily
Amazing environment with great co-workers
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2015
A typical day required me to complete daily transactions while keeping the cash area clean at all times. Management was always supportive of the needs of each employee while also following company policies. Resources were always available whenever they were needed. The whole atmosphere of the store was great as there were like minded people with positive attitudes who worked with me at the store. The hardest part of the job was during back to school hours when customers were in a hurry but the lines were long. However, all employees were trained to treat customers in the proper manner. The part I enjoyed about the job was my co-workers because all of them were there with a positive attitude as was I and looking forward to their scheduled times.
Fast-paced workplace with a positive company message and friendly atmosphere
Cash Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2015
Fun place to work at with great employee discounts. Decent amount of red tape and politics. Management dynamics are sometimes stressful but expected of a big company. Work expectations vary greatly depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Great employee discount
Sports Coordinated
Hard Good Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON12 November 2015
Sharpened skates, molded skates, put stock away, not a bad place to work. Easy to work around schedule, people are easy to get along with. Training is most difficult part, but once you're past that you're golden.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Slow days were boring