Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 July 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Just putting me through my school
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 April 2016
- Management is not professional. Managers favor certain workers and put others down
- The entire atmosphere is depressing (I've worked at 2 stores and they're the same)
- The job becomes very repetitive
- The pay is average
- Good amount of hours given
Pros
Good Discount
Sportchek Hardgoods Associate
Floor Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2016
Typical Retail Job, the management are generally low quality and turn-over quickly, making the job more difficult,
This job is more suited for students
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Low Quality management
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Balzac, AB27 August 2016
working at sport check is a fun workplace environment within its limits sometimes the workplace can get a little bit stressed with just simply people not knowing what to when times gets busy and overran by customers.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
stressful at times
fun and lively
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC24 May 2016
A typical day of work would result in me hanging and tagging the close we are putting on the floor. Then trying to shift things around to make the product fit in with the rest of the brand, or similar items. Then in between all that is helping customers find what they are looking for and if I cant then finding something is similar to the product or will fit their needs even better. But what I have learned most in a typical day of work is how to interact batter with people, and how I have done this by the help of my clothing manager. She walks me through the steps and when I'm done helping a customer I usually go back to her tell her and ask what I can approve upon. My co-workers are people I can depended upon when I need to run into the back or need help because I have to many customers I'm trying to help. Which is really the hardest part of the job is trying to juggle so customers at once, but the most enjoyable part is when I find what the customer is looking for. Another enjoyable part would be getting to here the customers stories about where they come from or what they are training for, and why.
Inspiring and fun workplace with fair managment
Footwear and Soft Goods Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 January 2016
A typical day at Sport Chek, starts off with the morning huddle, this provides Managers and employees with the goals set in place to reach our sales for the day. The percentages earned from the previous days are also discussed, we then work together as a team to highlight which areas are strong and which areas aren't according to sales. I learned how important working together is and how every department benefits through the best communication from our staff. We all communicate on floor through ear pieces and mini microphones attached to our uniforms, this helps us to achieve quick customer service. Making our customers happier. Management is very fair and completely flexible with staff due to sports, tournaments and schooling. Along with management my coworkers work together to set goals and reach them. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help every customer, although we are trained to help numerous customers at a time it is simply impossible to give every customer the quality information they deserve, that is where my coworkers come in and work as a team to make sure every department and customer is taken care of. The most enjoyable part of my job is inspiring Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles and seeing our customers leave happy knowing they were provided with the best.
Productive and fun work environment.
Full-time Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leaside, ON19 January 2016
A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.
Great place to work with young people
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC , Burnaby BC25 August 2014
Great place to work, but you are working with many young people. This can sometimes be challenging to maintain a professionalism within the workplace. Driving the customer experience and sales is of top priority. There are few opportunities for advancement within the Greater Vancouver area. Discounts and bonus potentials are fantastic. Paid on a 40 hour work week. Expect to work 50 hours minimum. Longest week for me was 85 hours during holiday periods.
Pros
Young energetic sales advisors, great product discounts, bonus opportunities.
Cons
Long hours, unappreciated by upper management
Productive and fun workplace indeed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
I think this place was fun and exciting. Each work day was filled with surprise and welcoming challenges. The managers here, did their best to positively engage each employee with duties that suit their personalities and interests, as well as drilling product knowledge, in every opportunity. As a result every employee was well educated in the product, enough to be comfortable with every customer when recommending the product. The hard-work of the manager led the store to gain the first position out of all its competitors i the district.
Pros
Excellent work ethic
Cons
Pressure
Easy work, fun first job
Part-time Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB1 September 2016
This was my first job, as I started when I was 7. I enjoyed walking through my neighbourhood and simply delivering flyers to the people who lived around me.
Fantastic
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2016
Sport Chek was extremely flexible with hours and managers actually cared about their employees. Very enjoyable people to work with and an environment that was easy to get used to. Always something to do to keep busy. Managers would take time to teach you so you could improve instead of just being yelled at when you don't know how to do something.
Pros
Flexible, positive environment and great managers.
Cons
Low pay
Enjoyable work environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 April 2016
I was working there for work experience during high school and enjoyed working there for the most part. I was there for two terms lasting 2 weeks per term. Great environment to work in with good management and co-workers.
Pros
Great people to work with
Nice job
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC22 August 2016
I enjoyed working over there all my co-workers were so passionate about sports which made the experience even better but over all the place was super nice
Pros
Passion for sports
Cons
Short hours
Typical, yet enjoyable and rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Ontario16 September 2015
I personally think Sportchek, Hylands is a great learning experience in the retail world of sports goods and apparel. A typical day at work is like any other typical day; greet co-workers, managers, clock in, then head straight to your station. Being a cashier there helped me with interpersonal skills with customers I have never encountered; angry, troublesome, loud, etc... I also learned about the importance of customer service to the company and management.
The management of this branch was great but not perfect. Overall, I'd say this location has one of the highest rates of management and customer service out of all London Sportchek locations, from what I've heard.
The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the tasks as a cashier. It involves great complex work and can sometimes be stressful depending how busy it gets, which are usually on special holiday sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to adapt to a community of hard-working people that you can be apart of. They are motivative, helpful, and feels great to be a part of it. The benefits of being part of the Sportchek family is great as well, which is my favourite part.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Short hours
Fun and engaging environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 April 2016
really fun place to work and even better people to work with. management was great and it was a great experience to learn customer service
Good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 July 2016
Good work place. Sometimes tough. Have to give great customer service. Good discounts. Manangers can be really tough, but they are mostly easy going.
Positive work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 May 2016
A typical day at sportchek consists of greeting customers, providing them with information about our products and services, and cashing customers out.

While at the till I am responsible for the cash and ensuring all media balances at the end of the shift.

I also participate in cleaning tasks as well as stocking the store.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Too many cashiers hired, not enough hours
great customers and coworkers
Hardgoods Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 March 2016
management not the best.
quit due to sexist comments made by the general manager
not given breaks until OVER 5 hours.
it can be super slow and boring just like any retail job.
Pros
great discount (but theres a limit)
Work is ok, but was it was Co-Op (job placement)
Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 June 2016
A typical day would be going to stockroom putting clothes on hangers, relocating merchandise, etc...

What I learned about working at Sport Chek was that some of my co-workers didn't like their job and seemed angry about it.
productive fun good times
Sales Associate/ snow-sports specialists (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 February 2014
Everyday doing stock, keeping up with sales, talking to customers in an open ended manner, I constantly learn, doing research on my own and doing courses with in Sportchek that is required.
Management is awesome they treat you like family which I love you can be completely open with them. My co workers range from all sorts of different persons, all in all they are like family too.
Hardest part of my job is doing long hours going to bed late then waking up bright and early, but completely do able. Its apart of life especially at a young age! Most enjoyable part of my job is talking to customers and meeting new people, being able to talk to them about my personal experiences and hearing about theirs.
Pros
Snow-sports camps, fun games for morning huddles, redbull girls visitng us and giving us all free redbulls during christmas hours
Cons
Long sparatic hours, unreliable hours due to last years sales shifted to that.