Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Positive work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 May 2016
A typical day at sportchek consists of greeting customers, providing them with information about our products and services, and cashing customers out.

While at the till I am responsible for the cash and ensuring all media balances at the end of the shift.

I also participate in cleaning tasks as well as stocking the store.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Too many cashiers hired, not enough hours
Productive workplace with a really good discount for employees
Softgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 May 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Management could be better.
Pros
Company Discount
Cons
Management could be better
Productive and fun workplace indeed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
I think this place was fun and exciting. Each work day was filled with surprise and welcoming challenges. The managers here, did their best to positively engage each employee with duties that suit their personalities and interests, as well as drilling product knowledge, in every opportunity. As a result every employee was well educated in the product, enough to be comfortable with every customer when recommending the product. The hard-work of the manager led the store to gain the first position out of all its competitors i the district.
Pros
Excellent work ethic
Cons
Pressure
Easy work, fun first job
Part-time Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB1 September 2016
This was my first job, as I started when I was 7. I enjoyed walking through my neighbourhood and simply delivering flyers to the people who lived around me.
Nice job
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC22 August 2016
I enjoyed working over there all my co-workers were so passionate about sports which made the experience even better but over all the place was super nice
Pros
Passion for sports
Cons
Short hours
Motivational when it comes to health and fitness
Cashier & Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 April 2016
Sportchek is a job that provides a positive and enjoyable atmosphere as it promotes the importance of health and fitness. As somebody who has a passion for athletics, I enjoy working there. I've learned a lot when it comes to customer service and the importance of providing 10/10 service to every body that walks into our store. Our managers do their best to make our shifts as enjoyable as possible and they work hard in assuring that both their employees and customers are happy. There isn't really a hard part about working in Sportchek, however, the lack of hours available is sometimes frustrating. The most enjoyable part is probably the discount, especially if you're an employee that is also an Athlete.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Work is ok, but was it was Co-Op (job placement)
Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 June 2016
A typical day would be going to stockroom putting clothes on hangers, relocating merchandise, etc...

What I learned about working at Sport Chek was that some of my co-workers didn't like their job and seemed angry about it.
fun and interactive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 June 2016
great part time job for people who are currently enrolled in school. flexible work scheduele. includes providing expert customer service, reaching sales goals, maintaining your department, and setting up weekly sales advertisements.
It's fun if you got a great group of people
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2016
A typical day in softgoods can get boring but with great staff the time goes by really quick. The tasks are not that mentally and physically demanding and so it's a rather easy going work environment. The management team at my location is probably one of the best in the province they do great job of maintaining a respectful yet casual and fun atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would probably be maintenance of the store and meeting standards but with on going practice and team effort its always achievable.
Pros
discount
Cons
boring shifts
Fun workplace
Clothing department (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB30 April 2016
Very casual employees with good managers. Every day on the job you learned something new about yourself and others. Everyone was very welcoming and understanding. Nothing about the job was all that hard it was just a matter of learning new skills, I loved being able to work in such a great place.
Pros
Flexible clothing
Excellent place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 May 2016
Great place to work. The pay is in line with any other retail job. They are extremely flexible to life/other jobs, and the best management team I have ever worked for. Highly recommend this job to someone who want to work in retail.
Pros
great discount
Cons
not many full time positions
Safe, friendly, and educational place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON26 April 2016
SportChek was an incredibly comfortable and enjoyable place to work. They successfully provided me with the skills and knowledge to be a successful sales associate. My managers were engaging and responsible and my coworkers were supportive and willing to assist me when necessary.
Fun Environment with great co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON3 May 2016
By working at SportChek I have been able to grow with time management, and my social skills and my knowledge in the footwear department. The staff there is more than entertaining and as collective group, we try to provide every costumer with the "Complete Experience"
My first experiences
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 March 2016
Typical days at work with my work experiences were usually busy or half busy. I learned to clean the floors, make goody bags, and stock shelves. Never had to be a manager. They were the best co-workers out there and were really to learn how teach me new experiences for when i get a real job. The hardest part of the job was waking up two hours early and going out to the work place before 8AM. Lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free lunch, learning new experiences, and interacting with other people
Cons
Long hours, usually if i showed up late, I would have lunch late
Good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 July 2016
Good work place. Sometimes tough. Have to give great customer service. Good discounts. Manangers can be really tough, but they are mostly easy going.
Productive and amazing work environment.
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 May 2016
The time I spent working here was AMAZING! I started off as a volunteer worker for High School credits and was eventually called back in to join a great staff of team by the store manager as a seasonal staff member.
Just putting me through my school
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 April 2016
- Management is not professional. Managers favor certain workers and put others down
- The entire atmosphere is depressing (I've worked at 2 stores and they're the same)
- The job becomes very repetitive
- The pay is average
- Good amount of hours given
Pros
Good Discount
High Energy with Great Customers
F/T (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 March 2016
Sportchek is a fun place to work if you have a love for a healthy and active lifestyle. The training on products is very well done, and once you learn about the products, it really makes you wonder why you ever shopped elsewhere.

The only issues I had were with certain unqualified management members, and the hourly wage wasn't enough in comparison to work required when I started receiving more responsibilities.

I really enjoyed the conversations with customers about what kinds of things they were getting into, or were already passionate about. It's interesting to see that there is so much going on even in our little communities.

Canadian Tire/ Sportchek donates very generously to Jumpstart which helps get kids into sports, and being a part of a company that makes a difference in my community is great!
Pros
Great co workers and products
Cons
low pay, lots of duties
Sportchek Hardgoods Associate
Floor Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2016
Typical Retail Job, the management are generally low quality and turn-over quickly, making the job more difficult,
This job is more suited for students
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Low Quality management
Sport chek
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 July 2016
Great place to work for they have the best discount for any company that i know of. Management could be a bit more consistent but what can you do