Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONOctober 12, 2015
Its a really fun place to work at and it was basically fun because me and my co-workers made it fun by not stressing and giving a happy attitude
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Great Place to Work
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONOctober 7, 2015
Was a wonderful job for when I was in High School. Many of the employees shared interests with each other so it made the atmosphere very positive.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2015
Working at Sport check is a great way to greet Customers and tell them the sales that is going on in the store making sure you are on top of the task that is given.
Management is very great and on top of customers satisfaction and very supportive.
Fast-paced workplace with a positive company message and friendly atmosphere
Cash Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2015
Fun place to work at with great employee discounts. Decent amount of red tape and politics. Management dynamics are sometimes stressful but expected of a big company. Work expectations vary greatly depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Always learning something diffrent and adapting to new learnings
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Bedford Nova ScotiaSeptember 29, 2015
at Sport Chek with each and every shift I am constantly learning new things about the products we sell and about the customers I help. the hardest part of the job is learning where all the products are but with each shift I learn and adapt to new things.
Typical, yet enjoyable and rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, OntarioSeptember 16, 2015
I personally think Sportchek, Hylands is a great learning experience in the retail world of sports goods and apparel. A typical day at work is like any other typical day; greet co-workers, managers, clock in, then head straight to your station. Being a cashier there helped me with interpersonal skills with customers I have never encountered; angry, troublesome, loud, etc... I also learned about the importance of customer service to the company and management.
The management of this branch was great but not perfect. Overall, I'd say this location has one of the highest rates of management and customer service out of all London Sportchek locations, from what I've heard.
The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the tasks as a cashier. It involves great complex work and can sometimes be stressful depending how busy it gets, which are usually on special holiday sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to adapt to a community of hard-working people that you can be apart of. They are motivative, helpful, and feels great to be a part of it. The benefits of being part of the Sportchek family is great as well, which is my favourite part.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Short hours
Sportchek
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Great job for the sport lover, lots of knowledge can be obtained. Management can at times be understanding. The hardest part of the job is flexibility with hours, hard to get time away if there is an emergency because the employees themselves have to find their own replacements for shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customers and other employees.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
depending on other employees to take shifts
Amazing environment with great co-workers
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day required me to complete daily transactions while keeping the cash area clean at all times. Management was always supportive of the needs of each employee while also following company policies. Resources were always available whenever they were needed. The whole atmosphere of the store was great as there were like minded people with positive attitudes who worked with me at the store. The hardest part of the job was during back to school hours when customers were in a hurry but the lines were long. However, all employees were trained to treat customers in the proper manner. The part I enjoyed about the job was my co-workers because all of them were there with a positive attitude as was I and looking forward to their scheduled times.
Fun workplace that allowed me to further develop a set of skills I aimed to improve. Offered up other learning useful opportunities as well.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 14, 2015
This was a good company to work for. Being in the Service Shop has allowed me to further develop my bicycle maintenance skills that I sought to improve. While working there I learned how to fine tune skis and snowboards, sharpen skates, rotate inline skate wheels, string rackets, and more. This was a good experience to work in a shop and with sports equipment.
Pros
Learning opportunities with tools, heavy machinery, customer interactions, sales
Cons
Company couldn't commit to full-time positions very easily
Sales Associate, Footwear Department (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONAugust 12, 2015
While working at Sportchek, I have learned different knowledge of the several departments within the store. You get to meet all different kinds of people and all different kinds of needs they have. It is a team environment so if I was able to answer the question I would find someone that could to make sure the customer had the best experience.
There was a lot of favouritism amongst the managers.
Seasonal Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2015
The managers played favourites quite often giving easy tasks to the staff they were friends with, but who were not qualified to do the task. Resulting in someone else having to correct the errors on top of the duties they already had to perform. A lot of times certain staff were permitted to stand around doing nothing, while the a couple others were expected to complete everyone's tasks.
Productive, fun work place.
VISUAL MERCHENDISER (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ONJuly 29, 2015
When I come into work I do a morning walk of the store to see what are some good selling opportunities for the day. I rework the store to make is visually appealing and to store standards. I make sure deadlines are made on time, and requirements are made. I work extremely well with the managers we always have a game plan and make sure we are all on the same page. The hardest part of my job is doing store change overs. The most enjoyable part of my job is always staying busy and I like change.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Change overs
visual (Former Employee) –  calgaryJuly 27, 2015
It was a good environment. Full of different positions and experiences. Although the management was alittle hectic it was run decent.

Fun workplace for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 21, 2015
It is nice place to start as a student. It can teach you quite a bit about organization, improve your social and communication skills.
Pros
fun place to work, lots of communication with people
Cons
salary
Learned a lot of new things
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2015
The best part is I made a lot of good friends. We are a new location and when we first opened it was a fun environment. Managers would sometimes give us basketball tickets. Discounts are awesome.

We got a new manager and things weren't fun anymore. Caught two managers gossiping about me and acting awkward. When I asked the manager what was going on and told him how I felt, he told me to have a sit down with all the managers. During the sit down he made it clear that he can not do anything about any tension at work and has to defend the managers since they are a team and that if the situation comes up again I could get written up. I have no idea what I would get written up for. I went from having 5 shifts a week to Zero. The work environment is very uncomfortable after the amount of disrespect shown. Definitely a job thats just a joke now. I show up just to make my money and leave. That is if I do get a shift.
One of the best places to work.
Hard goods sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 19, 2015
Sportcheck is an amazing company to work for. There is nothing but benefits to working their. The culture is amazing an promotes healthily active lifestyles for all. The company really gives back to the employees as well.
Fun place to work with flexible management
Hard goods sales associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 17, 2015
Sportchek is a pretty fun place to work. Most people that work there have a team oriented mindset. Everyone tries to help out even if its not within their departments. The management is very flexible and tries to accommodate schedules to the best of their abilities. The only thing that could be better is the pay, pretty close to minimum wage.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
low pay
A day at Sportchek
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Promenade ThornhillJuly 16, 2015
A typical day at work consists of me being on cash dealing with various customers who either have an issue with their product or need some assistance finding the correct size/colour. After accommodating customers I cash them out and they go on their way. When not busy with customers I must security tag and hang or fold all merchandise that comes from the back stock room. I do price checks, write up defective items and clean the back cash counters religiously to avoid mess. I enjoy working retail and feel that I have learned how to deal with many different individuals. I understand that it is all about the customers experience when they first enter the store and therefore I continue to welcome each and everyone that enters with a simple hello.
Pros
Working with a fun staff
Cons
Our location is understaffed
Great managers lead to enjoyable times
Hard Goods Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 20, 2015
The overall time spent at sport Sportchek was enjoyable. A healthy work environment is a personally sought after thing at a job and at this location, they definitely have that. The General Manager, has been a pleasure to work for to say the least and his managerial skills mixed with his personality make him inspiring to work for.

The job is straight forward, a fairly typical retail job, you just get to be around and talk about sporting goods, clothing and footwear. Typical day would be stocking/organizing clothing or any other goods that are sold and assisting customers with their purchases.
Pros
Great discount, exciting product to be around/deal with
Cons
old location; overstock rooms small, impractical store layout
Using workers like they are disposable
Part Time Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCJune 17, 2015
Typically, a day at work involved trying to meet enormous sales quotas and being chastised when they wern't obtained. Usually, there was a lot of tidying to do, and the environment was very fast paced. Occasionally, I had to work on very busy days (boxing day) on my own, as a new employee. Talk about overwhelming. As much as they might like to think they embrace safety at work, it was often ignored. No gloves/personal safety equipment was giving when employee were required to clean the bathrooms (including the toilet, inside and out.) The bunks at the back that the shoe are held in, with many levels, about 12 ft high, were commonly climbed on. It was easy to fall and twist your ankle, or get squished between the bunks. But you /needed/ to make money, so money before safety. Management was innapropriate. Uncomfortable touching, bad-mouthing other employees (calling them drug addicts, saying they're stupid) infront of customers or co-workers. Bad communication. Not understanding. Required to go 5 hours without so much as a 15 minutes break. Once, when I was sick (puking, diarrhea) they required me to work 6.5 hours alone, and didn't give me a break, even when I requested it. I was told someone was being called in to take my shift and I needed to 'tough it out'. Just ignore labour laws, right? Co workers were okay. Some homophobia and sexism. Interesting that a store based on finding your personal level of fitness has employees that commonly fat-bash women, and call womens sports bad things. Morning 'team cleans' that were meant to build team spirit made me feel more and more unliked,  more... and uncomfortable. Most training is done online, and some of the mandatory quizzes ended up having incorrect answers, so they were hard to pass. I barely had time to do the online training, since I wasn't allowed off the floor, and was kept after my shift to complete them. The most enjoyable part was working with the kids, because they were always understanding, and their parents were usually okay with me. Dealing with rude customers was the hardest part, especially when I was working alone. Having to go to the back of the store and locate 15 different pairs of shoes at once was not fun. One of the managers refused to help out in footwear because he "didnt know anything about shoes." My hours fluctuated from 3 a week, to 20 a week, erratically.  less
Pros
decent discount
Cons
long hours, uncomfortable management, few breaks, poor attitude, impossibly high expectations