Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

Dynamic workplace requiring technical knowledge and excellent customer relation skills within the sporting good and active lifestyl worlds.
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
I was the department manager for the sporting goods section, tasked with training and developing a team of over 20 sales staff, ensuring inventory integrity, dealing with technical customer relation experiences, merchandising, and other requirements that occur in a fast-passed work environment. I had the opportunity to create an immediate direct positive influence in all of my customers sporting and personal lives, which provided me with the unique experience of developing a substantial return customer basis, and allowed me to provide an elite level of technical knowledge and experience for each and every customer. I have also had the unique opportunity of aiding in various volunteer events, facilitating underprivileged youth with sporting equipment, and a means to stay healthy and active.
Pros
Training and development with the sporting world
Cons
Lag in responsiveness from head office due to a corporate approach
Flexible schedules and good discount
Cashier/Clothing Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 21, 2016
My time at Sportchek has been enjoyable. For the most part management is very good and also very flexible with scheduling. The discount is also a great bonus.
organized and fun
Hard Goods Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Sport Chek was very cohesive so everybody understood their role in the company and day to day duties. It was a nice friendly environment.
Scarce Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Not enough hours. Favoritism a large factor in getting hours. Full time very difficult to come by. Was eligible for raise but never given one with constantly changing management. No stability.
Fun and Productive work day
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day of work involves engaging customers and providing them with a full customer service experience.I greet customers while helping them find what they came into the store for and providing them with the knowledge they need in order to live a healthy and active lifestyle.
Retail Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Typical retail job with 8 hour shifts and friendly people. Enjoyed working there as a first job and the managers were friendly.
Sportchek Career
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 21, 2016
I love my job at Sportchek. A typical day would consist of talking to customers to make sure that they are getting the best help and finding everything that they would need for what they are trying to do, whether that be going to the gym or daily activities. I would also tell customers about how to take care of their new purchases to get the most out of their dollar. I would able have one-on-one meetings with the other employees in my department to make sure there is open communication regarding the rules and what managers would like to see different or the same in the department. Managers are very respectable and are willing to help you if you ask. The hardest part of the job is when it is busy keeping up with customers and making sure that they are happy. Some are very ignorant or rude so it is sometimes hard to still be nice. On the other hand the most enjoyable part of my job is talking to customers and getting that one on one interaction. I love seeing repeat customers come in and seek me out to continue helping them or telling me how their new stuff is working out.
Pros
Discount on merchandise and flexible work hours
Cons
Small shifts
Fun workplace, great people.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBJanuary 21, 2016
Slow paced work environment, great people. Learned to persuade customers into buying the right merchandise to suit their needs. Built social, and verbal communication skills with people, and overall became a more fluent speaker, and worker.
Pros
Flexible shifts, and hours.
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun work environment.
Full-time Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leaside, ONJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.
Overall great working environment
associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Sport Chek is a very productive, and effective work place that i would highly recommend applying to, if you are willing to have a great team working behind you.
Pros
Balanced hours
Cons
Inspiring and fun workplace with fair managment
Footwear and Soft Goods Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at Sport Chek, starts off with the morning huddle, this provides Managers and employees with the goals set in place to reach our sales for the day. The percentages earned from the previous days are also discussed, we then work together as a team to highlight which areas are strong and which areas aren't according to sales. I learned how important working together is and how every department benefits through the best communication from our staff. We all communicate on floor through ear pieces and mini microphones attached to our uniforms, this helps us to achieve quick customer service. Making our customers happier. Management is very fair and completely flexible with staff due to sports, tournaments and schooling. Along with management my coworkers work together to set goals and reach them. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help every customer, although we are trained to help numerous customers at a time it is simply impossible to give every customer the quality information they deserve, that is where my coworkers come in and work as a team to make sure every department and customer is taken care of. The most enjoyable part of my job is inspiring Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles and seeing our customers leave happy knowing they were provided with the best.
Sales Associate
associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2015
Awesome place to work! fun and fast paced! A real confident booster for people who struggle with communicating with strangers.
One of my favourite jobs
Sales (Current Employee) –  Gander, NLDecember 19, 2015
Although not the best paying job in my life time it was a very enjoyably workplace with excellent management. I got to work with the public every day and sell equipment and clothing that I am passionate about
Pros
amazing empoyee discount
Cons
Wages
Fun I love working with anything to do with sports
Sportcheck Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 8, 2015
I liked the time there because you could talk to customers about the game they love and its great to see people taking apart in physical activities
flexible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 6, 2015
Well adapted for my busy lifestyle. Great people and work environment. They were very flexible with my busy schedule and volleyball commitment. Im just looking for a different experience now.
Pros
flexibility
Fast paced enviroment with great training tools available.
Department Sale's Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONNovember 24, 2015
Everyday is a new challenge and is a great way to develop into something much bigger. All the experiences I have had and all the skills I have developed will allow me to excel anywhere I go and I am very thankful for that.
Fun workplace and very flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 16, 2015
Good job for high school students because of the managers who understand the minimum hours you can work. Expected to be able to multitask with folding clothes, greeting customers, helping customers with questions, and answering phone calls. Busy workplace but as long as you stay focused and dedicated it will be a good working experience. Enjoyable staff and friendly managers who help get to know you on a more personal level. Sports atmosphere so if your interested in sports its a great job to share your knowledge and learn about new things during your training process.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Not much training preperation
Productive workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONNovember 16, 2015
My first retail job, was a great opportunity to meet people and talk to them and sell the newest golf product to them. Also learned how to properly re grip and re shaft golf clubs for customers.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
cleaning
Fun and energetic work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 16, 2015
Fun, fast paced work environment. Must be able to multi-task and be at constant disposal to the customers in and out of the store. Friendly staff and management.
Sports Coordinated
Hard Good Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONNovember 12, 2015
Sharpened skates, molded skates, put stock away, not a bad place to work. Easy to work around schedule, people are easy to get along with. Training is most difficult part, but once you're past that you're golden.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Slow days were boring