Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace and very flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 16, 2015
Good job for high school students because of the managers who understand the minimum hours you can work. Expected to be able to multitask with folding clothes, greeting customers, helping customers with questions, and answering phone calls. Busy workplace but as long as you stay focused and dedicated it will be a good working experience. Enjoyable staff and friendly managers who help get to know you on a more personal level. Sports atmosphere so if your interested in sports its a great job to share your knowledge and learn about new things during your training process.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Not much training preperation
Productive workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONNovember 16, 2015
My first retail job, was a great opportunity to meet people and talk to them and sell the newest golf product to them. Also learned how to properly re grip and re shaft golf clubs for customers.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
cleaning
Fun and energetic work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 16, 2015
Fun, fast paced work environment. Must be able to multi-task and be at constant disposal to the customers in and out of the store. Friendly staff and management.
Sports Coordinated
Hard Good Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONNovember 12, 2015
Sharpened skates, molded skates, put stock away, not a bad place to work. Easy to work around schedule, people are easy to get along with. Training is most difficult part, but once you're past that you're golden.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Slow days were boring
Good work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2015
A typical day will be upbeat and fast but you will enjoy it! Lots to learn on the job and is one of the better places to work while doing retail.
Challenging yet beneficial place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
Dealing with the general public and staff on a daily basis was never the same everyday. New challenges were faced and upper management was very supportive.
Pros
Working with all types of people
Cons
Many work hours each week
Great Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 8, 2015
They provided me with great training and skills to further myself and my career path in life. They gave me skills to broaden my knowledge in various aspect in the workforce.
fun place to wrk
Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 31, 2015
good job to work people there are nice and cool asffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Great store to work at
Customer service (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABOctober 21, 2015
Good management, great benefits, pretty flexible with hours and scheduling around personal life, focused work environment, and very good training for all employees.
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONOctober 12, 2015
Its a really fun place to work at and it was basically fun because me and my co-workers made it fun by not stressing and giving a happy attitude
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Great Place to Work
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONOctober 7, 2015
Was a wonderful job for when I was in High School. Many of the employees shared interests with each other so it made the atmosphere very positive.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2015
Working at Sport check is a great way to greet Customers and tell them the sales that is going on in the store making sure you are on top of the task that is given.
Management is very great and on top of customers satisfaction and very supportive.
Fast-paced workplace with a positive company message and friendly atmosphere
Cash Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2015
Fun place to work at with great employee discounts. Decent amount of red tape and politics. Management dynamics are sometimes stressful but expected of a big company. Work expectations vary greatly depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Always learning something diffrent and adapting to new learnings
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Bedford Nova ScotiaSeptember 29, 2015
at Sport Chek with each and every shift I am constantly learning new things about the products we sell and about the customers I help. the hardest part of the job is learning where all the products are but with each shift I learn and adapt to new things.
Typical, yet enjoyable and rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, OntarioSeptember 16, 2015
I personally think Sportchek, Hylands is a great learning experience in the retail world of sports goods and apparel. A typical day at work is like any other typical day; greet co-workers, managers, clock in, then head straight to your station. Being a cashier there helped me with interpersonal skills with customers I have never encountered; angry, troublesome, loud, etc... I also learned about the importance of customer service to the company and management.
The management of this branch was great but not perfect. Overall, I'd say this location has one of the highest rates of management and customer service out of all London Sportchek locations, from what I've heard.
The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the tasks as a cashier. It involves great complex work and can sometimes be stressful depending how busy it gets, which are usually on special holiday sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to adapt to a community of hard-working people that you can be apart of. They are motivative, helpful, and feels great to be a part of it. The benefits of being part of the Sportchek family is great as well, which is my favourite part.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Short hours
Sportchek
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Great job for the sport lover, lots of knowledge can be obtained. Management can at times be understanding. The hardest part of the job is flexibility with hours, hard to get time away if there is an emergency because the employees themselves have to find their own replacements for shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customers and other employees.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
depending on other employees to take shifts
Amazing environment with great co-workers
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day required me to complete daily transactions while keeping the cash area clean at all times. Management was always supportive of the needs of each employee while also following company policies. Resources were always available whenever they were needed. The whole atmosphere of the store was great as there were like minded people with positive attitudes who worked with me at the store. The hardest part of the job was during back to school hours when customers were in a hurry but the lines were long. However, all employees were trained to treat customers in the proper manner. The part I enjoyed about the job was my co-workers because all of them were there with a positive attitude as was I and looking forward to their scheduled times.
Fun workplace that allowed me to further develop a set of skills I aimed to improve. Offered up other learning useful opportunities as well.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 14, 2015
This was a good company to work for. Being in the Service Shop has allowed me to further develop my bicycle maintenance skills that I sought to improve. While working there I learned how to fine tune skis and snowboards, sharpen skates, rotate inline skate wheels, string rackets, and more. This was a good experience to work in a shop and with sports equipment.
Pros
Learning opportunities with tools, heavy machinery, customer interactions, sales
Cons
Company couldn't commit to full-time positions very easily
Sales Associate, Footwear Department (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONAugust 12, 2015
While working at Sportchek, I have learned different knowledge of the several departments within the store. You get to meet all different kinds of people and all different kinds of needs they have. It is a team environment so if I was able to answer the question I would find someone that could to make sure the customer had the best experience.
There was a lot of favouritism amongst the managers.
Seasonal Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2015
The managers played favourites quite often giving easy tasks to the staff they were friends with, but who were not qualified to do the task. Resulting in someone else having to correct the errors on top of the duties they already had to perform. A lot of times certain staff were permitted to stand around doing nothing, while the a couple others were expected to complete everyone's tasks.