Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Fun place but a bit harsh at times
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 April 2017
A typical day at work included clocking in, getting a walkie talkie for communication between the stockroom and the floor, and gong to your designated area. Usually, I would be put in either Mens running, Casual or Basketball footwear. There i would have the most fun just meeting and talking to customers naturally, just out of pure enjoyment. The toughest part of the job was the unorganized communication between The runners upstairs and the sales associates on the main floor. The store was too big and most of the shoes were stocked upstairs where it would sometimes take 10 -15 minutes for a customer to try on a shoe.
Pros
good Disounts
Cons
Short breaks
healthy active living
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE30 March 2017
Sportchek was an amazing company to work for. Bonus structure and store discount are very generous. Management was ok some better than others. Went into work with a smile everyday and left the same way.
Pros
employee bonus
Great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 March 2017
There are so many different things that Sport Chek has to offer. Plenty of different customers come in everyday for a new experience. Everyone seems so friendly.
Comfortable and fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2017
Most employees are very friendly! Easy to get along with and helpful managers. The employee discount is very nice, and they're very helpful with working around my schedule.
Fantastic employees, management not as much.
Clothing Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2017
If you're thinking about applying at sportchek, just don't waist your time with it. I have worked there for almost 2 years & I still am constantly not getting hours because there "isn't any". This has been an ongoing issue for months. There is quite a bit of pettyness among management, overall I have seen fantastic employees get treated not very fairly & they all end up finding a new job because there isn't any balance. Some weeks you can get scheduled not at all & other weeks people are working full time hours with not full time pay/ benefits. I feel like I'm competing against my fellow employees for hours which isn't right. They say we are suppose to be a team but it feels very one sided. Another thing is that quite annoying is when you see employees working harder then the managers. I'm my opinion if you're a manager you should be on the floor helping customers out just as much as everyone else is. Not sitting in the back doing jack all, all day? Not fair. People start to notice too & then that just causes issues of its own. I've learned a few things from working here
1) if someone hires you & they already seem disorganized with whatever it may be, don't take the job. If it starts early in the hiring process the chance of it continuing in indefinite.
2)don't let people take advantage for you, especially in retail.
3)obviously if you have an issue with someone talk about it with them directly, if nothing changes go higher up.
I could go on & on, hope this review was helpful.
Pros
Fun environment, nice employees
Cons
Too many employees not enough hours, (yet they still hire more), poor management
Cashier
-Huge store
-Great inventory stock
-great employee discount
-Manageable hours
Pros
Emplyee Discount
Cons
Hours can be better
Productive and fun work place
SALES ASSOCIATE-FOOTWEAR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
Very productive work place, was able to learn everything efficiently and was able to elevate my customer service skills. Also gained new tactics and skills on how to handle customers and how to approach in a positive way.
Over worked
Manager (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON16 March 2017
For the salary a lot is expected from a person. Quite often minimal direction is given. Unrealistic expectations are set for completing tasks. Sometimes very frustrating place to work
Pros
training camps
Cons
Store manager has minimal follow up and training for managers
Fun workplace with good discount
Hard Goods Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2017
If you aren't going to use the discount and buy a lot of items from Sportchek I'd suggest finding a retail store that pays more starting wage (you start at minimum and rarely see an increase). I got a 40 cent raise after a year, and my sales were above average. The discount is what really counts, as you can save a lot of money. It's a fun workplace that is very welcoming, definitely a positive experience that I will take forward with me.
In cold lake the clothing manager sucks
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB11 March 2017
Cold lake clothing manager is beyond rude and terrible to work with. Not worth it.
She does not do more then she needs to. She needs to be fired and someone who actually wants to be there.
Excellent job for part time work
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 March 2017
As someone who was looking for part-time work, but also had weeks with more availability, this was a great place to work. They tried their best to keep my shifts to the number requested, but would be happy to fit me in more if I could take on more hours.
Lack of employee respect
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB6 March 2017
Lack of respect from managers to associates, little to no hours, hard to make any money when they only give 5 hours a week, and ive been there 2 years. They don't respect their employees, I've experienced tyranny as opposed to support, animosity when I called in sick (I've only ever called in sick once in my two years of work). I am a 19 year old student whos making less than 240$ a month, and regardless of my availability, I wont get more than 5Hrs a week
Pros
discount
Cons
disrespect
environment du travail
Vendeuse (Former Employee) –  Thornhill Ontario2 March 2017
C'est un travail a temps partiel. quelque chose qui m'aide a supporter un vie d'étudiant car en Canada en doit payer pour aller a l'université.
Pros
bien pour la vie universitaire
Cons
les heures de travail sont limiter
Summary
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 March 2017
The staff at sportchek provided me with a very close and personal relationship and we grew together and helped eachother out everyway we could.
sportchek management was excellent and set an amazing example for me and how I would conduct myself in later careers.
during my time there, the people I worked with became much more then co workers and mean quite a bit to me.
would recommend sportchek for anyone looking for a great team mentality sales approach and to develop selling and interpersonal skills.
Amazing place to grow as an individual and as a worker
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON26 February 2017
Working at Sport Chek mostly consists of keeping items sufficiently stocked at all times as well as providing great customer service. I learned how to properly and effectively get tasks done on a daily basis, as well as truly see what it means to be a great employee. The management is and always has been fantastic, and provide anything you'd ever need at all times.
They didn't care if you weren't doing your job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2017
I loved working here because I worked in the sports department and I love sports. The managment didn't care if you were on your phone or chatting even when customers were there. Theg hiried way to many people at once and then let go of people because they were younger and part times.
Pros
Really good pay
Cons
Managment doesn't really know what they're doing
fun fast pace
Sport Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON24 February 2017
was a good job, hours were not that great but all in all great people an had fun, an learned alot, leaned alot about bikes an fitness electronic watches, the company provided great discounts on all merchandise as well.
Pros
discount
Cons
hours were slow
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2017
I don't love sport chek, the management is not run well and they do not treat their employees very fairly. Not given the expected hours they tell you when you are hired.
Sportchek has helped me gain lots of work experience
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2017
When I was working full-time at Sportchek, I learned how to become a team leader. My job was to supervise the cashiers and make sure they were doing everything correctly. If the cashiers had any problems or questions they would come to me to help them fix their problem. I would order weekly coin orders and make sure the nightly cash out was done properly. The hardest part about my job was being the same age or even younger then most of the cashiers, and having to become their supervisor because a lot of them were my friends before I got promoted. I enjoyed working full-time before I went to school because it helped me gain a stronger work ethic that has helped me in school.
fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 February 2017
I like working here because i love sports but i just wasnt making enough or getting enough hours. the people were very fun to work with. I love the products we sell. The hardest part was selling snow sports because i do not know a whole lot about that. The best part was selling hockey because i could talk about the sport i love all day long
Pros
the discount was amazing for employees
Cons
not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.