Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 June 2017
Apart from management lacking in people skills, this is a great place to work. Sales associates are fun & hard working. Learn what it means to really provide excellent customer service! Fast paced work environment, great for building resume and getting some job experience.
Pros
great staff deals, flexible hours
Cons
management needs to work on people skills
Students Only
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2017
Just like any other retail job, its very sales orientated. You will be working with high school students or people that have worked for the company for years. Amazing discount but your store management will vary and affect your experience.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Lunch Breaks are very short for long shifts
Good, friendly workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB15 June 2017
A nice, friendly workplace. Very understanding and reasonable managers who care about the wellbeing of their employees. Built great relationships with coworkers and customers alike while working here!
Pros
Friendly, fun staff, fun events
Cons
Sometimes slow
Fun workplace with good staff.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 June 2017
Great team of staff, amazing management with dedication to train each staff individually and bring the best out of you every shift. Fair wages and opportunity to move forward.
Overall great place to work, some weak links in management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB11 June 2017
Overall Sport Check is a great place to work. There are amazing discounts and it is a great atmosphere to work in. Sadly there have been multiple occasions that i have had booked off, that i had been scheduled for. One of these being my graduation. Even though it was booked off, i was basically told it "was my problem" to find someone to work it, and if i did not then i would have to. Besides the aspect of scheduling conflicts it is a great place to work.
Pros
great discounts
Not desirable for a long term work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 June 2017
The job was very strict. I enjoyed being busy and getting work done, but there was not a good employee-manager relationship and the pay was not enough for what other jobs in the area were paying.
Great working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 June 2017
Sportchek is a great part-time job. very flexible with hours, if you cannot make it to your shift your co-workers will always help you out. Also, great discount
Pros
discount, co-workers
Cons
unrealistic expectations of work place
Fun workplace where you work with great people and customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 June 2017
SportChek is a great place to work. You learn a lot about different aspects of different sports as well as how to help different kinds of customers. your coworkers become your friends very quickly and the management is great as well. They have been flexible with my hours while I have been in school which has helped me a lot. Overall, a very fun place to work.
fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2017
I loved working at sports check because i love working with sports equipments and also i had no issue with the management and i loved my coworkers. It was a fun work place.
Pros
Na
Cons
Short hours
Good
Soft Goods Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON27 May 2017
Short shifts with high pay. Salary increased often. Discount was a huge benefit. Mostly happy co-workers. Online training should be completely redone. It was very dull, tiring and long.
Pros
Discount
Overall enjoyable workplace
Hard Goods Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 May 2017
Having my first job at Sport Chek was an amazing opportunity because of the tremendous amount of peers I got to interact with. I was able to learn so much from these peers and develop relationships and skills to make myself a better worker. My peers often helped me out and did so in a positive manner and it made me very comfortable within the workplace.
Fun and inclusive workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON21 May 2017
I love working at Sport Chek! It is a very fun environment and everyone I work with is great. However, hours are very sparse which is why many of my friends quit or have second/third jobs.
Pros
not stressful, great people
Cons
barely any hours for part-timers
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2017
great place to work. fun atmosphere. great skill building with customer service and sales. could be better with hourly wage to match the pressure put on sales associates to reach sales goals, especially since there is no longer commission.
A pleasant enough place
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 May 2017
Full disclosure, I only worked here for about 2 months and suspect I was terminated for not properly integrating with the staff. Basically, this means that I have a dark sense of humour, and the staff at the location didn't exactly take well to that. I moderately enjoyed the job, and they treated me really well. Pay was better than I've ever had, though looking at my work experience readers won't be very surprised with that. One problem that I did have was that I didn't have a clearly defined set of responsibilities, just some that I knew I had to do, and some that I thought were for if I were free. I'd asked the person who'd filled this position about this, they were very unhelpful. The conversation between us would go:
'What do I do when I run out of stuff to do?'
'There's always something to do.'
'Yes, but what are all of my responsibilities?' There would be no response to this, he'd usually just leave, or find something else to do. Losing this job is one of my regrets, but it probably wouldn't have worked out too well, since I was planning on going to school, and they needed me for the morning and wanted me for a long time which I was fine with. All in all, if you have the chance and you're willing to commit, I'd say it's worth it.
Pros
Good pay, discounts on products, paid vacations, pretty good benefits packages, guarantee of 40 hours a week
Cons
Early morning hours, very specific staff culture, a bit vague on expectations
Good
Sale Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON8 May 2017
I had a great experience at this job. I learned a lot of new skills and am great full for the opportunity. I would recommend this company to others who are looking for an honest, strong company.
ok.. for extra cash
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
Company itself is not very good. Management is unprofessional. Employee discount is great... but that's about the only perk.

The company was ok in the beginning but management changed & they didn't treat the staff fairly or professionally. This was my own experience but I have heard similar stories from other employees.

Work at sporting life if you want to work for this type of retail store.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
bad management
Cashier
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  lethbridge Alberta2 May 2017
I enjoy sports check I buy there cloths and get great service and I feel if employed can give back good service to the customer, I also would like more experience in the shoe department
Pros
in the Mall
Cons
need more cashier training
Would recommend
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB30 April 2017
Would definitely recommend to any students or part-timers looking for a fun and challenging environment. Going to work was oftentimes enjoyable and generally non-tedious.
Not great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2017
The staff is okay and the pay is fine. The customers are the best part of the job. Helping people is a big part of the position. The cleanup at night is easy and quick.
Fun work place, lots of product knowledge to learn
Footwear & Soft Goods Advisor - Sport Chek (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2017
Working at SportChek is definitely a fun and interesting experience
Daily tasks consist of
- keeping away daily stock (Shoes, socks, etc)
- price sweeping sales dept. for any price changes
- assisting customers with product knowledge of shoes & clothing
- updating sales on a weekly basis
- maintaining proper visual standards of clothing and display products
- constant up keep of floor cleanliness (sweeping floor, mopping if needed, dusting fixtures, etc)
- assuring products on sales floor are all properly tagged with a security tag/ sticker

Best part about the job is getting to learn about shoe technology and helping customers with their needs. Also meeting new people on a daily basis

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval