Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 25, 2016
A typical day at sportchek consists of greeting customers, providing them with information about our products and services, and cashing customers out.

While at the till I am responsible for the cash and ensuring all media balances at the end of the shift.

I also participate in cleaning tasks as well as stocking the store.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Too many cashiers hired, not enough hours
Dynamic workplace requiring technical knowledge and excellent customer relation skills within the sporting good and active lifestyl worlds.
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
I was the department manager for the sporting goods section, tasked with training and developing a team of over 20 sales staff, ensuring inventory integrity, dealing with technical customer relation experiences, merchandising, and other requirements that occur in a fast-passed work environment. I had the opportunity to create an immediate direct positive influence in all of my customers sporting and personal lives, which provided me with the unique experience of developing a substantial return customer basis, and allowed me to provide an elite level of technical knowledge and experience for each and every customer. I have also had the unique opportunity of aiding in various volunteer events, facilitating underprivileged youth with sporting equipment, and a means to stay healthy and active.
Pros
Training and development with the sporting world
Cons
Lag in responsiveness from head office due to a corporate approach
Flexible schedules and good discount
Cashier/Clothing Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 21, 2016
My time at Sportchek has been enjoyable. For the most part management is very good and also very flexible with scheduling. The discount is also a great bonus.
One of the best places to work.
Hard goods sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 19, 2015
Sportcheck is an amazing company to work for. There is nothing but benefits to working their. The culture is amazing an promotes healthily active lifestyles for all. The company really gives back to the employees as well.
fun and interactive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 7, 2016
great part time job for people who are currently enrolled in school. flexible work scheduele. includes providing expert customer service, reaching sales goals, maintaining your department, and setting up weekly sales advertisements.
Work is ok, but was it was Co-Op (job placement)
Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 20, 2016
A typical day would be going to stockroom putting clothes on hangers, relocating merchandise, etc...

What I learned about working at Sport Chek was that some of my co-workers didn't like their job and seemed angry about it.
Fun workplace
Clothing department (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBApril 30, 2016
Very casual employees with good managers. Every day on the job you learned something new about yourself and others. Everyone was very welcoming and understanding. Nothing about the job was all that hard it was just a matter of learning new skills, I loved being able to work in such a great place.
Pros
Flexible clothing
Safe, friendly, and educational place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 26, 2016
SportChek was an incredibly comfortable and enjoyable place to work. They successfully provided me with the skills and knowledge to be a successful sales associate. My managers were engaging and responsible and my coworkers were supportive and willing to assist me when necessary.
Excellent place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONMay 17, 2016
Great place to work. The pay is in line with any other retail job. They are extremely flexible to life/other jobs, and the best management team I have ever worked for. Highly recommend this job to someone who want to work in retail.
Pros
great discount
Cons
not many full time positions
great customers and coworkers
Hardgoods Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 17, 2016
management not the best.
quit due to sexist comments made by the general manager
not given breaks until OVER 5 hours.
it can be super slow and boring just like any retail job.
Pros
great discount (but theres a limit)
Fun Environment with great co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 3, 2016
By working at SportChek I have been able to grow with time management, and my social skills and my knowledge in the footwear department. The staff there is more than entertaining and as collective group, we try to provide every costumer with the "Complete Experience"
Fast-paced workplace with a positive company message and friendly atmosphere
Cash Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2015
Fun place to work at with great employee discounts. Decent amount of red tape and politics. Management dynamics are sometimes stressful but expected of a big company. Work expectations vary greatly depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Productive and amazing work environment.
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 14, 2016
The time I spent working here was AMAZING! I started off as a volunteer worker for High School credits and was eventually called back in to join a great staff of team by the store manager as a seasonal staff member.
Nice job
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCAugust 22, 2016
I enjoyed working over there all my co-workers were so passionate about sports which made the experience even better but over all the place was super nice
Pros
Passion for sports
Cons
Short hours
Productive and friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 6, 2016
Everyone part of the sport chek community provides a friendly and professional environment. All of the management team as well as the employees make me look forward to going into work ever
Just putting me through my school
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 14, 2016
- Management is not professional. Managers favor certain workers and put others down
- The entire atmosphere is depressing (I've worked at 2 stores and they're the same)
- The job becomes very repetitive
- The pay is average
- Good amount of hours given
Pros
Good Discount
Sportchek Hardgoods Associate
Floor Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
Typical Retail Job, the management are generally low quality and turn-over quickly, making the job more difficult,
This job is more suited for students
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Low Quality management
Good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 31, 2016
Good work place. Sometimes tough. Have to give great customer service. Good discounts. Manangers can be really tough, but they are mostly easy going.
Sportchek Career
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 21, 2016
I love my job at Sportchek. A typical day would consist of talking to customers to make sure that they are getting the best help and finding everything that they would need for what they are trying to do, whether that be going to the gym or daily activities. I would also tell customers about how to take care of their new purchases to get the most out of their dollar. I would able have one-on-one meetings with the other employees in my department to make sure there is open communication regarding the rules and what managers would like to see different or the same in the department. Managers are very respectable and are willing to help you if you ask. The hardest part of the job is when it is busy keeping up with customers and making sure that they are happy. Some are very ignorant or rude so it is sometimes hard to still be nice. On the other hand the most enjoyable part of my job is talking to customers and getting that one on one interaction. I love seeing repeat customers come in and seek me out to continue helping them or telling me how their new stuff is working out.
Pros
Discount on merchandise and flexible work hours
Cons
Small shifts
Enjoyable work environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 20, 2016
I was working there for work experience during high school and enjoyed working there for the most part. I was there for two terms lasting 2 weeks per term. Great environment to work in with good management and co-workers.
Pros
Great people to work with