Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Fun work environment
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 September 2016
Was friends with everyone you work with. Very outgoing atmosphere. Everyone was treated like family.
Management was great, could talk to them about anything and everything.
The discount was amazing, and was definitely a huge perk.
Motivational when it comes to health and fitness
Cashier & Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 April 2016
Sportchek is a job that provides a positive and enjoyable atmosphere as it promotes the importance of health and fitness. As somebody who has a passion for athletics, I enjoy working there. I've learned a lot when it comes to customer service and the importance of providing 10/10 service to every body that walks into our store. Our managers do their best to make our shifts as enjoyable as possible and they work hard in assuring that both their employees and customers are happy. There isn't really a hard part about working in Sportchek, however, the lack of hours available is sometimes frustrating. The most enjoyable part is probably the discount, especially if you're an employee that is also an Athlete.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
not fun to work experience at sport chek
Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 September 2016
Basically everyday you don't do anything other than organizing shoe sizes all day and your stuck in the back until your done
Pros
breaks
Cons
Long hours, not fun for work experience
love discount didnt like work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 June 2016
i loved the discount it was like constantly buying stuff on sale all for my self. specially shoe discounts sucks that there are limits. didnt like management at all isnt easy going up to them at all without being dissed for anything!!! overall best discount horrible environment not my only experience had 3-4 other co workers quit too!!!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
no shifts, management
Enjoyable and fun workplace
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 September 2016
A typical day at work is a casual flow of customers who need questions to be answered. I have learned how to properly communicate with customers and to sell merchendise exceedingly. Managment and co-workers are well behaved and very responsible. Hardest part of the job is to keep up with the pace of multiple customers in one time frame. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you successfully provided the amount of information needed to complete the sell with the customer.
Productive workplace with a really good discount for employees
Softgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 May 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Management could be better.
Pros
Company Discount
Cons
Management could be better
High Energy with Great Customers
F/T (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 March 2016
Sportchek is a fun place to work if you have a love for a healthy and active lifestyle. The training on products is very well done, and once you learn about the products, it really makes you wonder why you ever shopped elsewhere.

The only issues I had were with certain unqualified management members, and the hourly wage wasn't enough in comparison to work required when I started receiving more responsibilities.

I really enjoyed the conversations with customers about what kinds of things they were getting into, or were already passionate about. It's interesting to see that there is so much going on even in our little communities.

Canadian Tire/ Sportchek donates very generously to Jumpstart which helps get kids into sports, and being a part of a company that makes a difference in my community is great!
Pros
Great co workers and products
Cons
low pay, lots of duties
Scarce Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2016
Not enough hours. Favoritism a large factor in getting hours. Full time very difficult to come by. Was eligible for raise but never given one with constantly changing management. No stability.
Great co-workers, not so great manager
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON8 November 2016
Fun people to work with. Job could get boring during the slow times. Store manager was nice some days a jerk some days and thinks hes awesome. Could get the buddy buddy treatment one day and get made to feel like an idiot the next. I liked working at sportchek with the rest of the staff for the time that I did.
Pros
discount
Cons
store manager
It's fun if you got a great group of people
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2016
A typical day in softgoods can get boring but with great staff the time goes by really quick. The tasks are not that mentally and physically demanding and so it's a rather easy going work environment. The management team at my location is probably one of the best in the province they do great job of maintaining a respectful yet casual and fun atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would probably be maintenance of the store and meeting standards but with on going practice and team effort its always achievable.
Pros
discount
Cons
boring shifts
Flexible hours, Great management, and a good work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
A typical day at work would consist of completing many tasks while also staying available to the customers demands and needs. these various tasks include re-stocking product on display, general maintenance of the department and a selection of nightly assigned cleaning duties such as sweeping and or changing the garbage's in the department
Pros
flexible hours, stress free environment
Fun place with lots of sports and many of my teammates were there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
Typical days were fun and up tempo fun out going having my teammates there made the job fun and speaking with managers and customers all into sports made the shifts all the better
Pros
50% off discount
Cons
Shifts weren't always flexible
Sport chek
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 July 2016
Great place to work for they have the best discount for any company that i know of. Management could be a bit more consistent but what can you do
Fun place to work, Very laid back
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2016
Fun place to work, had a good experience. At times manager's weren't always concerened with how their staff felt but overall good retail job.
Pros
Laid back environment, gained sporting knowledge, learned different skills
Cons
Low wages, demanding
My first experiences
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 March 2016
Typical days at work with my work experiences were usually busy or half busy. I learned to clean the floors, make goody bags, and stock shelves. Never had to be a manager. They were the best co-workers out there and were really to learn how teach me new experiences for when i get a real job. The hardest part of the job was waking up two hours early and going out to the work place before 8AM. Lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free lunch, learning new experiences, and interacting with other people
Cons
Long hours, usually if i showed up late, I would have lunch late
productive and fun place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2017
Overall very good. As a cashiers job was pretty simple, not too complicated, and managers are very nice. Hardest part of the job , hard costomers.
Pros
good discount
Cons
can only spend $2000 on discounted items for part timers
Nice people with a welcoming and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 August 2016
A typical day at work for me is standing behind a desk, tidying up, and helping customers with their purchases. Ive learned more about sports than anything, but I've also gained great communication skills with not only customers but the people I work with. The best part about my job is when the customer leaves in a great mood and are satisfied with their purchase.
Pros
Our discounts
Cons
slow days
Productive work environment
Service Technican - Hardgoods sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON21 September 2016
- Very productive and busy days, processing sale item's and mechanically fixing sports equipment.
- Gained product knowledge through out each department. Certified with ski/snowboard companies within the service shop.
- Great staff to work with.
- Easy and enjoyable work.
Fun and exciting workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 December 2016
- thrilling but busy
- how to be more open and sociable
- welcoming
- very funny and kind
- walking around for 8 hour's
- socializing with customers
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
very few breaks
3 Interviews later....
no job (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 October 2016
At both Burlington stores. Manager wasn't even there for the third one. Interview lasted 3 minutes.
Disappointing for a 16 year old trying to find a job and has work experience.
Very poor hiring practices.