Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Fun, I enjoy my responsibilities and the people I work with
Pt/Clothing (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON29 January 2017
A typical day at work involves me first emptying and putting away all the clothing on the rollbacks, keeping the fitting room clean, and helping customers find what they are looking for. Answering phone calls directed to my department are also involved. The people I work with are fun and very kind and the managers are understanding, respectful and also very kind. I wouldn't say there is anything too difficult about the job - it's actually very straightforward. I do though enjoy helping customers the most and being able to help them find exactly what they're looking for.
Encouraging Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2016
- Typical Day: clean/maintain Sport Chek's standards of displays and back rooms
- Learned: how to improve your activities with proper shoes
- Management: well organized, put together, great communication
- Co-workers: hard workers, great energy
- Hardest part: not being able to give complete attention to customers during the busier times
- Most enjoyable part: connecting with customers
Pros
Get to be around the latest shoes
Cons
Far distance to travel
amazing place to work with lots of games to play after close
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON8 November 2016
Learned about balancing and counting out the till and safe. management was really nice. it was alway a great environment and they made it fun. the hardest part was doing returns on boxing day
Friendly environment involved in the community
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 December 2016
A very sociable work place, where interaction with customer's are key. Breaking down the needs of each individual customer, through conversation was always key. Giving examples of my own experience with any sport/activity, or even anecdotes of people with relevant examples.
Through conversations with customers, I've been able to learn from them as well. About innovations and communities revolving around the activity. Everyday things are constantly changing and advancing, so one has to keep up to date.
Pros
Discount on products and sporting events
Cons
Schedule conflicts for after hour events
Very fun and upbeat workplace had a great time working for them.
Clothing sales associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
On a daily basis i would clean the store (mop, swiffer, fold and re-hang clothing) I learned how to read people better from giving customers the complete experience, knowing when they needed or wanted help by reading their body language. The work place had a great vibe to it everyone was always up beat and energized had a great feel to be there. Hardest part of the job was mopping just the most labour intensive overall everything else was great. Best part of the job was by far the entertainment that our managers set up for us to improve our day to day lives like playing a quick frisbee competition usually ending with the winner getting a drink of their choice from the cooler paid for by the manager on duty and the 2 losers cleaning the washrooms, made it a fun way to divide up the chores that had to be done also we would have little competitions between sections of the store so one side of clothing would vs the other to see who could clean their sections (usually mens vs women's) the best and quickest just to motivate us at the end of a long day. Management was fun and all around a group of great people they really cared for their coworkers and their jobs which improved the overall feel of the workplace ten fold.
Pros
entertaining work play, ie: competitions to see who cleans washrooms, hide n' go seek after hrs for fun, etc.
Cons
long hrs, especially during christmas constantly working 1-2 hrs longer than expected
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2017
I don't love sport chek, the management is not run well and they do not treat their employees very fairly. Not given the expected hours they tell you when you are hired.
easy going coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC28 October 2016
great coworkers and management staff. hardest part of the job is to maintain standard display. most enjoyable part of the job is having coworkers and management staff who are really easy to talk to.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
poor pay
friendly environment
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON9 November 2016
My day is spent marking up and/or down clothing product, making sure signs and product are ready each week for ad setup, ensuring the store is clean and in a presentable state for customers and above all else striving to provide excellent customer service by suggesting products and helping with proper fittings.The most challenging part of the job would be having to deal with unpleasant customers, I just accommodate them the best I can and make sure their visit to sport check is a pleasant one.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Limited hours for part time staff. If your sick its your responsibility to find a replacement, if no one reply's you have to go in or get a write up.
Productive and stable work enviornment
full time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 December 2016
Stable work environment with poor management. Bosses could never have a schedule out on time and when they di hours were missing.
Lack of employee respect
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB6 March 2017
Lack of respect from managers to associates, little to no hours, hard to make any money when they only give 5 hours a week, and ive been there 2 years. They don't respect their employees, I've experienced tyranny as opposed to support, animosity when I called in sick (I've only ever called in sick once in my two years of work). I am a 19 year old student whos making less than 240$ a month, and regardless of my availability, I wont get more than 5Hrs a week
Pros
discount
Cons
disrespect
Productive work place
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 September 2016
Same thing everyday, pretty repetitive.
Learned a lot more for management.
Co-workers are fantastic.
Hardest part of the job would be the constant management changes, and dealing with rude customers.
Best part of the job would be the discount and the good customers.
Fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 September 2016
Working at sport chek is like working with your family everyone works as a team to reach budget. Management can be strict but are understanding. Meeting people who are passionate about sports is probably the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
discount
Cons
Only half hour breaks
Enticing atmosphere and fantastic management
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 June 2016
Decent hours were given for each work day. I learned much information regarding how a job in retail operates, while at the same time improving my communication skills with fellow workers. Management was extremely helpful and friendly, and the overall environment was welcoming. Co-workers were also friendly and worked hard. The hardest part of the job involved the slower days, where all there was to do was stocking shelves and taking inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was how laid-back the workers and management were.
Pros
Good environment, decent hours
Cons
Quite repetitive
Fun place to work with like minded people
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2016
Limited room for advancement
Manager likes to hold onto skilled employees and will block them from leaving to other positions
Excellent Discount program and work culture
Been employed for over 9 years and have never received a raise
fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 February 2017
I like working here because i love sports but i just wasnt making enough or getting enough hours. the people were very fun to work with. I love the products we sell. The hardest part was selling snow sports because i do not know a whole lot about that. The best part was selling hockey because i could talk about the sport i love all day long
Pros
the discount was amazing for employees
Cons
not enough hours
Depends on the Manager you have
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 August 2016
Sport Chek is a great store, and they definitely have awesome people to work with. It can get boring when it's a slow day but you're always on your feet. Management can be forgetful, make you wait long amounts of time for certain things that do rely on quick answers.
They didn't care if you weren't doing your job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2017
I loved working here because I worked in the sports department and I love sports. The managment didn't care if you were on your phone or chatting even when customers were there. Theg hiried way to many people at once and then let go of people because they were younger and part times.
Pros
Really good pay
Cons
Managment doesn't really know what they're doing
Fun work environment
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 September 2016
Was friends with everyone you work with. Very outgoing atmosphere. Everyone was treated like family.
Management was great, could talk to them about anything and everything.
The discount was amazing, and was definitely a huge perk.
not fun to work experience at sport chek
Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 September 2016
Basically everyday you don't do anything other than organizing shoe sizes all day and your stuck in the back until your done
Pros
breaks
Cons
Long hours, not fun for work experience
Excellent job for part time work
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 March 2017
As someone who was looking for part-time work, but also had weeks with more availability, this was a great place to work. They tried their best to keep my shifts to the number requested, but would be happy to fit me in more if I could take on more hours.