Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun work environment.
Full-time Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leaside, ONJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.
Horrible management
Manager (Former Employee) –  SaskatchewanMarch 23, 2016
If your not part of the crowd they will set you up to fail. Store managers like to talk behind employees backs and will starve them out in stead of training them properly
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
Fun work place
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Great Atmosphere, good people, great team work, lots of knowledge about product. I have learnt a tremendous amount on how to deal with people and customer service issues.
Flexible schedules and good discount
Cashier/Clothing Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 21, 2016
My time at Sportchek has been enjoyable. For the most part management is very good and also very flexible with scheduling. The discount is also a great bonus.
fun and lively
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCMay 24, 2016
A typical day of work would result in me hanging and tagging the close we are putting on the floor. Then trying to shift things around to make the product fit in with the rest of the brand, or similar items. Then in between all that is helping customers find what they are looking for and if I cant then finding something is similar to the product or will fit their needs even better. But what I have learned most in a typical day of work is how to interact batter with people, and how I have done this by the help of my clothing manager. She walks me through the steps and when I'm done helping a customer I usually go back to her tell her and ask what I can approve upon. My co-workers are people I can depended upon when I need to run into the back or need help because I have to many customers I'm trying to help. Which is really the hardest part of the job is trying to juggle so customers at once, but the most enjoyable part is when I find what the customer is looking for. Another enjoyable part would be getting to here the customers stories about where they come from or what they are training for, and why.
Not Enough Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ONApril 19, 2016
Advertise for help, but fail to say that they can't guarantee hours.
I applied and was told 9-20hrs a week.
Who can live off that?
You want a revolving door of staff keep it up!
Fast paced enviroment with great training tools available.
Department Sale's Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, ONNovember 24, 2015
Everyday is a new challenge and is a great way to develop into something much bigger. All the experiences I have had and all the skills I have developed will allow me to excel anywhere I go and I am very thankful for that.
One of my favourite jobs
Sales (Current Employee) –  Gander, NLDecember 19, 2015
Although not the best paying job in my life time it was a very enjoyably workplace with excellent management. I got to work with the public every day and sell equipment and clothing that I am passionate about
Pros
amazing empoyee discount
Cons
Wages
Scarce Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Not enough hours. Favoritism a large factor in getting hours. Full time very difficult to come by. Was eligible for raise but never given one with constantly changing management. No stability.
Dynamic workplace requiring technical knowledge and excellent customer relation skills within the sporting good and active lifestyl worlds.
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
I was the department manager for the sporting goods section, tasked with training and developing a team of over 20 sales staff, ensuring inventory integrity, dealing with technical customer relation experiences, merchandising, and other requirements that occur in a fast-passed work environment. I had the opportunity to create an immediate direct positive influence in all of my customers sporting and personal lives, which provided me with the unique experience of developing a substantial return customer basis, and allowed me to provide an elite level of technical knowledge and experience for each and every customer. I have also had the unique opportunity of aiding in various volunteer events, facilitating underprivileged youth with sporting equipment, and a means to stay healthy and active.
Pros
Training and development with the sporting world
Cons
Lag in responsiveness from head office due to a corporate approach
Fun and engaging environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 16, 2016
really fun place to work and even better people to work with. management was great and it was a great experience to learn customer service
Overall great working environment
associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Sport Chek is a very productive, and effective work place that i would highly recommend applying to, if you are willing to have a great team working behind you.
Pros
Balanced hours
Sportchek
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Great job for the sport lover, lots of knowledge can be obtained. Management can at times be understanding. The hardest part of the job is flexibility with hours, hard to get time away if there is an emergency because the employees themselves have to find their own replacements for shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customers and other employees.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
depending on other employees to take shifts
Fun workplace that allowed me to further develop a set of skills I aimed to improve. Offered up other learning useful opportunities as well.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 14, 2015
This was a good company to work for. Being in the Service Shop has allowed me to further develop my bicycle maintenance skills that I sought to improve. While working there I learned how to fine tune skis and snowboards, sharpen skates, rotate inline skate wheels, string rackets, and more. This was a good experience to work in a shop and with sports equipment.
Pros
Learning opportunities with tools, heavy machinery, customer interactions, sales
Cons
Company couldn't commit to full-time positions very easily
Fast-paced workplace with a positive company message and friendly atmosphere
Cash Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2015
Fun place to work at with great employee discounts. Decent amount of red tape and politics. Management dynamics are sometimes stressful but expected of a big company. Work expectations vary greatly depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Amazing environment with great co-workers
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day required me to complete daily transactions while keeping the cash area clean at all times. Management was always supportive of the needs of each employee while also following company policies. Resources were always available whenever they were needed. The whole atmosphere of the store was great as there were like minded people with positive attitudes who worked with me at the store. The hardest part of the job was during back to school hours when customers were in a hurry but the lines were long. However, all employees were trained to treat customers in the proper manner. The part I enjoyed about the job was my co-workers because all of them were there with a positive attitude as was I and looking forward to their scheduled times.
Sports Coordinated
Hard Good Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONNovember 12, 2015
Sharpened skates, molded skates, put stock away, not a bad place to work. Easy to work around schedule, people are easy to get along with. Training is most difficult part, but once you're past that you're golden.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Slow days were boring
Productive workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONNovember 16, 2015
My first retail job, was a great opportunity to meet people and talk to them and sell the newest golf product to them. Also learned how to properly re grip and re shaft golf clubs for customers.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
cleaning
organized and fun
Hard Goods Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Sport Chek was very cohesive so everybody understood their role in the company and day to day duties. It was a nice friendly environment.
flexible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 6, 2015
Well adapted for my busy lifestyle. Great people and work environment. They were very flexible with my busy schedule and volleyball commitment. Im just looking for a different experience now.
Pros
flexibility