Sport Chek

Sport Chek Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Head Cashier
HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: interaction with different people every day
Cons: keeping track of available assistance
I have spent my adult life in customer service in one respect or another. From working with Elections Canada and Election Ontario,
Canada Post, Teleperformance, Sport Chek.

I have managed a Cashier staff of 12 where I scheduled their time and managed the cash office. I learned merchandising and recruiting.

I work hard by myself or as a team. Able to take instructions easily and get the job done. I am dedicated worker and counted on to help in any way that I can.
Got to work with sports equipment all day
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Prince George, BCFebruary 11, 2015
I love golf, and i got to work with golfing equipment all day, so that was awesome. I would help costumers out with whatever questions they had about the sport. A lot of my co-workers were friends of mine from school. Hardest part of the job was not to play with all the golf clubs.
friendly work environment
Part-Time Cashier, Temporary Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Owen Sound, ONJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: employee discount, friendly staff, flexible hours
Cons: last minute shift call-ins
A typical day is geared toward excellent customer service and organizing product and stock to keep the store looking great. I've gained experience in customer service, cash management, cashiering, stock inventory, and how a store works and runs to operate as smoothly as possible. The management and co-workers all combine a group effort to complete our daily tasks. The hardest day at work would likely be one where you've had to deal with an irate customer and keep your composure. The most enjoyable part of the job is building a rapport with your customers and helping them get "the complete experience" at sportchek.
Lots of good sport wear and equipment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 1, 2015
Opened and closed the store, Answered customers' questions and addressed problems and complaints in person and via phone, Educated customers on product and service offerings.
sport chek
Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 10, 2014
I think sport check is a very organized and a very welcoming place
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCNovember 25, 2014
Everybody works as part of a team and the managers or supervisors do great job of having everybody focused on their task and keep them motivated.
Great culture
Footwear/Hardgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee), Whitby, ONNovember 24, 2014
Sportchek is the most fun and nurturing environment I have ever had the pleasure of working in.
Footwear Sales
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONNovember 16, 2014
Pros: fun, good products, easy-going customers, good team
A typical day at work involved selling shoes and creating and managing product displays. I learned how to sell and cold approach customers. Management was good, because they trained us correctly and communicated efficiently. My co-workers were very kind and also created a sense of competition as a team. The hardest part of the job was working for long periods of time alone. The most enjoyable part was selling shoes and getting to know our products.
we sell fun
cash manager. ssc (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONNovember 12, 2014
Pros: competitive, always challenged
Cons: not enough hours
store open, count of floats and start computer system,
paperwork review,organized for head office, check transfers in and out for customers, review layaway, schedule for cashiers, review upcoming sale, print off signage .
Sportchek very upbeat sports orientated staff ,very customer service driven .
Hardest part of job: irate customers, but I am good at finding a solution. satisfying the customer
Easiest part of job : customer service: finding the customer the perfect item on sale
Fun work atmosphere
Footwear Associate (Current Employee), Charlottetown PENovember 10, 2014
Being with the company for so many years, I have experienced the changing phases of Sportchek. One thing has always been constant, it is a fun place to work where we take customer service extremely seriously.
Fun place with great management and staff
Part-time Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), City Centre, Edmonton, ABNovember 7, 2014
Pros: free yoga, running club, great attitudes, good discount
Cons: no ft if not management
Working for big corporations (as I have done in the past) I have noticed a trend with management (especially upper) - they care only about sales and very little about staff. The only way you can get any sort of acknowledgement is to sell the most product 24/7. Now, I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't try to do their best, but sometimes the best isn't possible: people don't want to try something on, – more... want to buy something, or even want any help. Sometimes it is out of your control. Upper management does not care for your "excuses", though - all they see is sales. They would much rather let you go and hire someone else than give you a chance to improve. Sportchek is not like that. They understand that employees are an essential building block to a company's success, and that you should treat them with respect as such. The management there is all very nice (including the store manager Rob) and they are always willing to work with you & help out whenever you need it. I am never afraid to ask a question whenever I am at work. This company offers a great atmosphere & great people to make a great working environment. – less
Amazing Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Co-op) (Current Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 3, 2014
I was at SportChek for a month because I did Co-op and it was an amazing experience. I typical day of work was me doing inventory and then going out to help customers. I learned a lot of things such as sporting equipment and how to sell a product to a customer. My co-workers were amazing, they treated me with the respect that they would give to any other worker.
Great environment, managers will fight for opportunities for you.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Owen Sound, ONOctober 22, 2014
Lots to learn, with some great staff to teach you what you need to know. Plenty of opportunities for the individuals that have that go-gettin' personality and work ethic. The managers are a competent and inter-personally well-adept team.

Very flexible hours

Great co-workers

Learning environment

Opportunities

Wicked discount

Reasonable work recognition/appreciation
Great workplace in general
Sales Associate/ Stock (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 20, 2014
I enjoyed working ere a lot the main thing was the co-workers and positive managers.
Productive Work Environment
Merchandiser/Stock Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2014
Progressive workday.
Learned about order and warehouse management.
General Management was responsive.
Co-workers were friendly and easy to work with.
Opportunity for advancement.
Good opportunity to interact with public.
bad personal experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Stratford, ONOctober 6, 2014
I think they are trying to teach the wrong way to make a relationship with customers and it comes off as too pushy for the sale.
ok
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lloydminster, ABSeptember 28, 2014
good for a part time job if you are a kid and there is good discount on products
SportChek
Shipper (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: 50%+ anything in the store
Cons: bad pay, minimal hours
A typical day at work at SportChek consisted of me hauling rollbars full of clothing up and down stairs in the storage area. I would bring outdates clothes up the stairs, and bring current clothes downstairs. I learned a lot about self-motivation and patience during my time working there. I never worked with any other co-workers, and I never actually communicated with them because of how isolated I was in the back room.
bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 17, 2014
didnt like the manage, bad hours, its in a dead mall. didnt learn anything there, co-workers were alright i guess, its an easy job
Productive and Fun workplace
Part Time Sales Associate (Clothing) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: employee discount is cost plus 10%
Cons: the employee discount is limited and the pay is low.
For the hours you are scheduled to work, you are primarily talking with customers or cleaning the store so it looks neat and tidy.

During my time there I learned all there is to know about clothing from the different fabrics to the overall design and purpose of certain products.

The management overall is pretty relaxed. If you ever need time off for anything, they will generally give you the day – more... off. At the same time, they do there best to make sure your busy when you are at work if your not busy already.

Co-workers for the most part are very nice, humorous, and enjoyable to talk to. That being said they can be quick to file a complaint if someone isn't pulling their weight in their job related duties (which rarely happens) but for the most part are easy going.

The hardest part of the job is keeping yourself occupied during the slow hours of the day.

The most enjoyable part of the day is being able to meet some amazing being. On a regular basis, professional athletes may shop at your store for various sporting good items, and if you listen, they may have an interesting story to tell. – less

About Sport Chek

Sport Chek is one of the largest Canadian retailer of sporting clothing, sports equipment, with stores across Canada (excluding – Read more

Sport Chek Photos