Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Scarce Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2016
Not enough hours. Favoritism a large factor in getting hours. Full time very difficult to come by. Was eligible for raise but never given one with constantly changing management. No stability.
Enjoyable and fun workplace
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 September 2016
A typical day at work is a casual flow of customers who need questions to be answered. I have learned how to properly communicate with customers and to sell merchendise exceedingly. Managment and co-workers are well behaved and very responsible. Hardest part of the job is to keep up with the pace of multiple customers in one time frame. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you successfully provided the amount of information needed to complete the sell with the customer.
It's fun if you got a great group of people
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2016
A typical day in softgoods can get boring but with great staff the time goes by really quick. The tasks are not that mentally and physically demanding and so it's a rather easy going work environment. The management team at my location is probably one of the best in the province they do great job of maintaining a respectful yet casual and fun atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would probably be maintenance of the store and meeting standards but with on going practice and team effort its always achievable.
Pros
discount
Cons
boring shifts
My first experiences
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 March 2016
Typical days at work with my work experiences were usually busy or half busy. I learned to clean the floors, make goody bags, and stock shelves. Never had to be a manager. They were the best co-workers out there and were really to learn how teach me new experiences for when i get a real job. The hardest part of the job was waking up two hours early and going out to the work place before 8AM. Lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free lunch, learning new experiences, and interacting with other people
Cons
Long hours, usually if i showed up late, I would have lunch late
Sport chek
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 July 2016
Great place to work for they have the best discount for any company that i know of. Management could be a bit more consistent but what can you do
Flexible hours, Great management, and a good work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
A typical day at work would consist of completing many tasks while also staying available to the customers demands and needs. these various tasks include re-stocking product on display, general maintenance of the department and a selection of nightly assigned cleaning duties such as sweeping and or changing the garbage's in the department
Pros
flexible hours, stress free environment
Great co-workers, not so great manager
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON8 November 2016
Fun people to work with. Job could get boring during the slow times. Store manager was nice some days a jerk some days and thinks hes awesome. Could get the buddy buddy treatment one day and get made to feel like an idiot the next. I liked working at sportchek with the rest of the staff for the time that I did.
Pros
discount
Cons
store manager
Excellent place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 May 2016
Great place to work. The pay is in line with any other retail job. They are extremely flexible to life/other jobs, and the best management team I have ever worked for. Highly recommend this job to someone who want to work in retail.
Pros
great discount
Cons
not many full time positions
Nice people with a welcoming and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 August 2016
A typical day at work for me is standing behind a desk, tidying up, and helping customers with their purchases. Ive learned more about sports than anything, but I've also gained great communication skills with not only customers but the people I work with. The best part about my job is when the customer leaves in a great mood and are satisfied with their purchase.
Pros
Our discounts
Cons
slow days
Fun Environment with great co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON3 May 2016
By working at SportChek I have been able to grow with time management, and my social skills and my knowledge in the footwear department. The staff there is more than entertaining and as collective group, we try to provide every costumer with the "Complete Experience"
fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON6 June 2016
I enjoy working at Sport chek because the people there are kind, hard working and willing to train. Management is understanding. I would recommend working there if you can.
Fun place to work, Very laid back
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2016
Fun place to work, had a good experience. At times manager's weren't always concerened with how their staff felt but overall good retail job.
Pros
Laid back environment, gained sporting knowledge, learned different skills
Cons
Low wages, demanding
Just putting me through my school
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 April 2016
- Management is not professional. Managers favor certain workers and put others down
- The entire atmosphere is depressing (I've worked at 2 stores and they're the same)
- The job becomes very repetitive
- The pay is average
- Good amount of hours given
Pros
Good Discount
Sportchek Hardgoods Associate
Floor Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2016
Typical Retail Job, the management are generally low quality and turn-over quickly, making the job more difficult,
This job is more suited for students
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Low Quality management
Productive work environment
Service Technican - Hardgoods sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON21 September 2016
- Very productive and busy days, processing sale item's and mechanically fixing sports equipment.
- Gained product knowledge through out each department. Certified with ski/snowboard companies within the service shop.
- Great staff to work with.
- Easy and enjoyable work.
fun and lively
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC24 May 2016
A typical day of work would result in me hanging and tagging the close we are putting on the floor. Then trying to shift things around to make the product fit in with the rest of the brand, or similar items. Then in between all that is helping customers find what they are looking for and if I cant then finding something is similar to the product or will fit their needs even better. But what I have learned most in a typical day of work is how to interact batter with people, and how I have done this by the help of my clothing manager. She walks me through the steps and when I'm done helping a customer I usually go back to her tell her and ask what I can approve upon. My co-workers are people I can depended upon when I need to run into the back or need help because I have to many customers I'm trying to help. Which is really the hardest part of the job is trying to juggle so customers at once, but the most enjoyable part is when I find what the customer is looking for. Another enjoyable part would be getting to here the customers stories about where they come from or what they are training for, and why.
Inspiring and fun workplace with fair managment
Footwear and Soft Goods Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 January 2016
A typical day at Sport Chek, starts off with the morning huddle, this provides Managers and employees with the goals set in place to reach our sales for the day. The percentages earned from the previous days are also discussed, we then work together as a team to highlight which areas are strong and which areas aren't according to sales. I learned how important working together is and how every department benefits through the best communication from our staff. We all communicate on floor through ear pieces and mini microphones attached to our uniforms, this helps us to achieve quick customer service. Making our customers happier. Management is very fair and completely flexible with staff due to sports, tournaments and schooling. Along with management my coworkers work together to set goals and reach them. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help every customer, although we are trained to help numerous customers at a time it is simply impossible to give every customer the quality information they deserve, that is where my coworkers come in and work as a team to make sure every department and customer is taken care of. The most enjoyable part of my job is inspiring Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles and seeing our customers leave happy knowing they were provided with the best.
Productive and fun work environment.
Full-time Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leaside, ON19 January 2016
A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.
3 Interviews later....
no job (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 October 2016
At both Burlington stores. Manager wasn't even there for the third one. Interview lasted 3 minutes.
Disappointing for a 16 year old trying to find a job and has work experience.
Very poor hiring practices.
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 July 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.