Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Friendly environment involved in the community
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 December 2016
A very sociable work place, where interaction with customer's are key. Breaking down the needs of each individual customer, through conversation was always key. Giving examples of my own experience with any sport/activity, or even anecdotes of people with relevant examples.
Through conversations with customers, I've been able to learn from them as well. About innovations and communities revolving around the activity. Everyday things are constantly changing and advancing, so one has to keep up to date.
Pros
Discount on products and sporting events
Cons
Schedule conflicts for after hour events
friendly environment
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON9 November 2016
My day is spent marking up and/or down clothing product, making sure signs and product are ready each week for ad setup, ensuring the store is clean and in a presentable state for customers and above all else striving to provide excellent customer service by suggesting products and helping with proper fittings.The most challenging part of the job would be having to deal with unpleasant customers, I just accommodate them the best I can and make sure their visit to sport check is a pleasant one.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Limited hours for part time staff. If your sick its your responsibility to find a replacement, if no one reply's you have to go in or get a write up.
Flexible and Fair Workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK7 November 2016
I am a Clothing Sales Advisor which means my day is spent marking up and/or down clothing product, making sure signs and product are ready each week for ad setup, ensuring the store is clean and in a presentable state for customers and above all else striving to providing excellent customer service. Working at Sport Chek I have learned a lot about the importance of prioritizing and organization. Management is easy to get along with and treats everyone fairly. My co-workers continue to build my character because of large variance in age groups. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with theft but the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to constantly be moving around.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Little chance of advancement
Great group of people, real friendly environment among peers and managment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2016
Like any retail job you will have the busy days and the really slow days. Luckily at Sportchek there is always something to do to keep you busy, whether that's tasks to maintain the store or further training opportunities. It is also a very friendly environment from co workers to management
Pros
Staff events
Cons
Unsteady hours for part time employees
Great co-workers, not so great manager
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON8 November 2016
Fun people to work with. Job could get boring during the slow times. Store manager was nice some days a jerk some days and thinks hes awesome. Could get the buddy buddy treatment one day and get made to feel like an idiot the next. I liked working at sportchek with the rest of the staff for the time that I did.
Pros
discount
Cons
store manager
Enjoyable and fun workplace
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 September 2016
A typical day at work is a casual flow of customers who need questions to be answered. I have learned how to properly communicate with customers and to sell merchendise exceedingly. Managment and co-workers are well behaved and very responsible. Hardest part of the job is to keep up with the pace of multiple customers in one time frame. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you successfully provided the amount of information needed to complete the sell with the customer.
Encouraging Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2016
- Typical Day: clean/maintain Sport Chek's standards of displays and back rooms
- Learned: how to improve your activities with proper shoes
- Management: well organized, put together, great communication
- Co-workers: hard workers, great energy
- Hardest part: not being able to give complete attention to customers during the busier times
- Most enjoyable part: connecting with customers
Pros
Get to be around the latest shoes
Cons
Far distance to travel
Productive and Energizing
Clothing Associate and Visual Associate (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB24 September 2016
This is a fun place to work, and is always an upbeat environment. Its never a bother to have to show up for a shift.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers during the busy times of the year. The most enjoyable part is getting to know the customers and successfully fulfilling their specific needs.
Pros
discount
Cons
management
good for part time after school job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2016
Sportchek is a good store to work for. The discount is great and i have made many friends but the management is not understanding and appreciative of staff members. its very hard to move up in the company and don't even try to call in sick because they will tell you to get your shift covered or you are coming in throwing up or not.
Pros
discount is great, i made a lot of friends
Cons
forced to work when sick, no appreciation for staff, pay raise is only 10 cents every year, only one half hour break in an 8 hour shi
Flexible hours, Great management, and a good work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
A typical day at work would consist of completing many tasks while also staying available to the customers demands and needs. these various tasks include re-stocking product on display, general maintenance of the department and a selection of nightly assigned cleaning duties such as sweeping and or changing the garbage's in the department
Pros
flexible hours, stress free environment
Productive and Fun open community
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB12 January 2017
Benefits and discounts are amazing.
The atmosphere is great everyone is so friendly.
Very flexible with hours, work as a team or solo in your department. Work with incredible people who are so talented
Pros
Friendly faces everyday, discounts, fun environment
Cons
NA
Fun place with lots of sports and many of my teammates were there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
Typical days were fun and up tempo fun out going having my teammates there made the job fun and speaking with managers and customers all into sports made the shifts all the better
Pros
50% off discount
Cons
Shifts weren't always flexible
overall not a positive experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS19 September 2016
I was hired as a clothing associate and was thrown on the floor with no retail experience (which they knew upon hire) within 2 days and expected to answer customer questions without having to ask my own. The people that have been there for years are very cliquey and don't really offer much assistance. Was told I would get 25-32 hours a week which turned out to be 15 or less some times, so not a job you can depend on for an income. Was also told I would be cross trained on cash but that never happened and when I questioned it every manager brushed it off or never really "had time" to answer it. Overall you get the swing of things pretty quickly, refolding clothes over and over, security tagging things excessively and that's about the extent of your workload.
Pros
Discount on clothing/sporting goods
Cons
Bad hours, poor management, no chance of expanding or growing within the company
Productive work environment
Service Technican - Hardgoods sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON21 September 2016
- Very productive and busy days, processing sale item's and mechanically fixing sports equipment.
- Gained product knowledge through out each department. Certified with ski/snowboard companies within the service shop.
- Great staff to work with.
- Easy and enjoyable work.
Nice people with a welcoming and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 August 2016
A typical day at work for me is standing behind a desk, tidying up, and helping customers with their purchases. Ive learned more about sports than anything, but I've also gained great communication skills with not only customers but the people I work with. The best part about my job is when the customer leaves in a great mood and are satisfied with their purchase.
Pros
Our discounts
Cons
slow days
Great Workplace, Fun, Friendly People.
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
SportChek overall is a great place to work, everyone is involved or interested in at least one sport so there is always something to talk about. Customers come into the store often unsure of what they are truly looking for, but once you are able to provide them with the information they need, even if they leave and don't purchase anything at that moment they will always leave more than satisfied with the service. More often than not at a later date the same customer you helped will come back only this time with their families, looking for information and to be set up with everything they need for their activity of choice. Nothing is more satifying.
The hardest part of the job would be maintaining stock on busy days such as boxing day. Putting away stock becomes a task that seems almost impossible with the amount of stock that is in demand on the floor.
Pros
Monday To Friday, Weekends Off
Cons
Often overstaffed resulting in no work to do
Productive and fun Environment!
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2017
This was an awesome place to work for my very first job. I thought everyone was extremely helpful and nice. It did take me a while to get adjusted to what the work life was like but everyone just wanted to help me learn and grow. Awesome awesome place!
productive work environment to work in specially work oriented.
Bike and Ice skate Technician (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK1 January 2017
Pleasant work environment... have fun doing your job if employee is sports oriented. but if employee is willing to learn about the benefits of sports its a goo place to work in.
Pros
near residence
Productive work place
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 September 2016
Same thing everyday, pretty repetitive.
Learned a lot more for management.
Co-workers are fantastic.
Hardest part of the job would be the constant management changes, and dealing with rude customers.
Best part of the job would be the discount and the good customers.
Fun place to work, Very laid back
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2016
Fun place to work, had a good experience. At times manager's weren't always concerened with how their staff felt but overall good retail job.
Pros
Laid back environment, gained sporting knowledge, learned different skills
Cons
Low wages, demanding