Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Good work life balance
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario31 January 2017
Not a lot of room to move up in the company as it is not growing very fast. Not a very competitive salary with other box retailers in Canada. The company does however encourage an outside life and is flexible to its employees outside of management.
Flexible and Fair Workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK7 November 2016
I am a Clothing Sales Advisor which means my day is spent marking up and/or down clothing product, making sure signs and product are ready each week for ad setup, ensuring the store is clean and in a presentable state for customers and above all else striving to providing excellent customer service. Working at Sport Chek I have learned a lot about the importance of prioritizing and organization. Management is easy to get along with and treats everyone fairly. My co-workers continue to build my character because of large variance in age groups. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with theft but the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to constantly be moving around.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Little chance of advancement
Summary
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 March 2017
The staff at sportchek provided me with a very close and personal relationship and we grew together and helped eachother out everyway we could.
sportchek management was excellent and set an amazing example for me and how I would conduct myself in later careers.
during my time there, the people I worked with became much more then co workers and mean quite a bit to me.
would recommend sportchek for anyone looking for a great team mentality sales approach and to develop selling and interpersonal skills.
Fun workplace with good discount
Hard Goods Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2017
If you aren't going to use the discount and buy a lot of items from Sportchek I'd suggest finding a retail store that pays more starting wage (you start at minimum and rarely see an increase). I got a 40 cent raise after a year, and my sales were above average. The discount is what really counts, as you can save a lot of money. It's a fun workplace that is very welcoming, definitely a positive experience that I will take forward with me.
good for part time after school job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2016
Sportchek is a good store to work for. The discount is great and i have made many friends but the management is not understanding and appreciative of staff members. its very hard to move up in the company and don't even try to call in sick because they will tell you to get your shift covered or you are coming in throwing up or not.
Pros
discount is great, i made a lot of friends
Cons
forced to work when sick, no appreciation for staff, pay raise is only 10 cents every year, only one half hour break in an 8 hour shi
I loved working there!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
Amazing co workers great management good training good pay good hours benifits amazing discount honestly loved working there hated I had to leave for personal reasons
Pros
Good hours, not over worked
Cons
Training process isn't the best but what training is?
overall not a positive experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS19 September 2016
I was hired as a clothing associate and was thrown on the floor with no retail experience (which they knew upon hire) within 2 days and expected to answer customer questions without having to ask my own. The people that have been there for years are very cliquey and don't really offer much assistance. Was told I would get 25-32 hours a week which turned out to be 15 or less some times, so not a job you can depend on for an income. Was also told I would be cross trained on cash but that never happened and when I questioned it every manager brushed it off or never really "had time" to answer it. Overall you get the swing of things pretty quickly, refolding clothes over and over, security tagging things excessively and that's about the extent of your workload.
Pros
Discount on clothing/sporting goods
Cons
Bad hours, poor management, no chance of expanding or growing within the company
Amazing place to grow as an individual and as a worker
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON26 February 2017
Working at Sport Chek mostly consists of keeping items sufficiently stocked at all times as well as providing great customer service. I learned how to properly and effectively get tasks done on a daily basis, as well as truly see what it means to be a great employee. The management is and always has been fantastic, and provide anything you'd ever need at all times.
Productive and Fun open community
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB12 January 2017
Benefits and discounts are amazing.
The atmosphere is great everyone is so friendly.
Very flexible with hours, work as a team or solo in your department. Work with incredible people who are so talented
Pros
Friendly faces everyday, discounts, fun environment
Cons
NA
Productive and a fun place to work, with lots of opportunity to move up
Clothing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 September 2016
I enjoyed my ten years there, I was able to move up fast. I like being in a management role I found it challenging. Sport chek had great benefits , and comparable pay to other companies.
In cold lake the clothing manager sucks
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB11 March 2017
Cold lake clothing manager is beyond rude and terrible to work with. Not worth it.
She does not do more then she needs to. She needs to be fired and someone who actually wants to be there.
Over worked
Manager (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON16 March 2017
For the salary a lot is expected from a person. Quite often minimal direction is given. Unrealistic expectations are set for completing tasks. Sometimes very frustrating place to work
Pros
training camps
Cons
Store manager has minimal follow up and training for managers
Great group of people, real friendly environment among peers and managment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2016
Like any retail job you will have the busy days and the really slow days. Luckily at Sportchek there is always something to do to keep you busy, whether that's tasks to maintain the store or further training opportunities. It is also a very friendly environment from co workers to management
Pros
Staff events
Cons
Unsteady hours for part time employees
Productive and fun Environment!
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2017
This was an awesome place to work for my very first job. I thought everyone was extremely helpful and nice. It did take me a while to get adjusted to what the work life was like but everyone just wanted to help me learn and grow. Awesome awesome place!
Sportchek has helped me gain lots of work experience
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2017
When I was working full-time at Sportchek, I learned how to become a team leader. My job was to supervise the cashiers and make sure they were doing everything correctly. If the cashiers had any problems or questions they would come to me to help them fix their problem. I would order weekly coin orders and make sure the nightly cash out was done properly. The hardest part about my job was being the same age or even younger then most of the cashiers, and having to become their supervisor because a lot of them were my friends before I got promoted. I enjoyed working full-time before I went to school because it helped me gain a stronger work ethic that has helped me in school.
Great Workplace, Fun, Friendly People.
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
SportChek overall is a great place to work, everyone is involved or interested in at least one sport so there is always something to talk about. Customers come into the store often unsure of what they are truly looking for, but once you are able to provide them with the information they need, even if they leave and don't purchase anything at that moment they will always leave more than satisfied with the service. More often than not at a later date the same customer you helped will come back only this time with their families, looking for information and to be set up with everything they need for their activity of choice. Nothing is more satifying.
The hardest part of the job would be maintaining stock on busy days such as boxing day. Putting away stock becomes a task that seems almost impossible with the amount of stock that is in demand on the floor.
Pros
Monday To Friday, Weekends Off
Cons
Often overstaffed resulting in no work to do
Enjoyable workspace with sub-par management
Footwear Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON26 January 2017
Work load and overall job life was a fantastic balance between completing tasks and maintaining freedom. Management was sub-par and showed little to no respect towards part-time staff.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Poor managent
productive work environment to work in specially work oriented.
Bike and Ice skate Technician (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK1 January 2017
Pleasant work environment... have fun doing your job if employee is sports oriented. but if employee is willing to learn about the benefits of sports its a goo place to work in.
Pros
near residence
Great place to work for a part time job!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB23 January 2017
I've worked here over a year now and it has been fun the whole time! Management is very flexible with hours and very easy to get along with. Great first job or part time job!
Productive and Energizing
Clothing Associate and Visual Associate (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB24 September 2016
This is a fun place to work, and is always an upbeat environment. Its never a bother to have to show up for a shift.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers during the busy times of the year. The most enjoyable part is getting to know the customers and successfully fulfilling their specific needs.
Pros
discount
Cons
management

89%