Sport Chek

Sport Chek Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great managers lead to enjoyable times
Hard Goods Associate (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 20, 2015
Pros: Great discount, exciting product to be around/deal with
Cons: old location; overstock rooms small, impractical store layout
The overall time spent at sport Sportchek was enjoyable. A healthy work environment is a personally sought after thing at a job and at this location, they definitely have that. The General Manager, has been a pleasure to work for to say the least and his managerial skills mixed with his personality make him inspiring to work for.

The job is straight forward, a fairly typical retail job, you just get to be around and talk about sporting goods, clothing and footwear. Typical day would be stocking/organizing clothing or any other goods that are sold and assisting customers with their purchases.
Using workers like they are disposable
Part Time Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Courtenay, BCJune 17, 2015
Pros: decent discount
Cons: long hours, uncomfortable management, few breaks, poor attitude, impossibly high expectations
Typically, a day at work involved trying to meet enormous sales quotas and being chastised when they wern't obtained. Usually, there was a lot of tidying to do, and the environment was very fast paced. Occasionally, I had to work on very busy days (boxing day) on my own, as a new employee. Talk about overwhelming. As much as they might like to think they embrace safety at work, it was often ignored. No gloves/personal safety equipment was giving when employee were required to clean the bathrooms (including the toilet, inside and out.) The bunks at the back that the shoe are held in, with many levels, about 12 ft high, were commonly climbed on. It was easy to fall and twist your ankle, or get squished between the bunks. But you /needed/ to make money, so money before safety. Management was innapropriate. Uncomfortable touching, bad-mouthing other employees (calling them drug addicts, saying they're stupid) infront of customers or co-workers. Bad communication. Not understanding. Required to go 5 hours without so much as a 15 minutes break. Once, when I was sick (puking, diarrhea) they required me to work 6.5 hours alone, and didn't give me a break, even when I requested it. I was told someone was being called in to take my shift and I needed to 'tough it out'. Just ignore labour laws, right? Co workers were okay. Some homophobia and sexism. Interesting that a store based on finding your personal level of fitness has employees that commonly fat-bash women, and call womens sports bad things. Morning 'team cleans' that were meant to build team spirit made me feel more and more unliked, – more... and uncomfortable. Most training is done online, and some of the mandatory quizzes ended up having incorrect answers, so they were hard to pass. I barely had time to do the online training, since I wasn't allowed off the floor, and was kept after my shift to complete them. The most enjoyable part was working with the kids, because they were always understanding, and their parents were usually okay with me. Dealing with rude customers was the hardest part, especially when I was working alone. Having to go to the back of the store and locate 15 different pairs of shoes at once was not fun. One of the managers refused to help out in footwear because he "didnt know anything about shoes." My hours fluctuated from 3 a week, to 20 a week, erratically. – less
Only took because desperate
hard goods (Former Employee), collingwoodJune 11, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: management, no hours, can't do anything without corporate permission
When starting this job I had to wait a month after my interview and job offer until I started because they wanted to wait till their fiscal year started.
With shifts randomly between 9am-10pm it was hard to get any family time. Having worked retail for 10 years prior I was brought in to be a regular associate with a starting rate of minimum wage and because I was desperate I accepted.
After watching the management of 30+ year old males hitting on the high school girls that worked there I spent most days counting down the clock.
Once I found another part time job with real pay I tried booking my regular scheduled days off with sport Chek but they kept booking me on those days and expected me to give up my well paying job or find someone to cover the day I booked off.
Fun Store
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJune 8, 2015
Pros: Great discount
Cons: crazy customers
Sportchek was a fun store to work at. All the employees at the time I was employed there worked well and had fun together. We would have many outside work team building meetings, functions and dinners. Sportchek offers an amazing discount to its staff as well.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 2, 2015
Pros: Great work environment
Cons: Not enough hours available
A typical day at work for me depends on which department I am scheduled in. I am trained in footwear, clothing and on cash. All of the departments have daily tasks to be completed. As well as assisting customers. My co-workers are like a second family we all get along and work well together. Management team is strong and helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help in more than one department when needed as back up and having the knowledge.
An Amazing Place To Work
Construction (Current Employee), CalgaryJune 1, 2015
FGL sports is a incredible company to work for. The culture is very unique and they have a great work/life balance. The management teams are incredibly strong and knowledgeable.
Good benefits and a flexible working schedule
CASHIER (Former Employee), London ONMay 29, 2015
The management staff are somewhat absent minded in regards to common sense, and some lacked skills necessary of working with minimum wage emloyees.
Great people to work with, mostly
Manager of Footwear Dept (Current Employee), VancouverMay 25, 2015
Pros: great Discounts
Cons: very low pay for all the work i do
Organizing staff/duties
setting up for following ads

most enjoyable part of the job working and chatting with great customers and knowing you helped with their transition.
Love it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONMay 11, 2015
Pros: Discount, good hours, flexible schedule.
I have been working at Sport Chek for a few months now and I love it. Management is amazing, they will do whatever it takes to help you. The training is long but teaches you everything you will need to know and more.
Awesome sport store
Sales Associate in Footwear (Former Employee), TimminsMay 9, 2015
Pros: great discount, great staff
Cons: no hours, lots of paperwork
Great workplace, very quiet, great staff and loved the discount, it was fun to work with awesome people getting to know the knowledge of shoes and different types.
Very friendly place
Footwear Associate (Current Employee), Orillia, ONMay 6, 2015
Working at sportchek is a great experience. Not only am i learning new things everyday but it helps the way i help customers. My job isn't very labour intensive unless it gets real busy. Most downtime is spent cleaning and organizing. There isn't one person who works there that i don't like or don't get along with. The hardest part is definitely when I'm the only person working and there's tons of people in my department, although people from other departments always help out.
Good atmosphere, very positive
Hard goods Sales Associate (Current Employee), OntarioApril 25, 2015
Great job people wise, Love the environment. Management is good, fairly strict though.

Very hard to get hours there.
longest shifts given for me are 5 hours with no break.
Productive workplace
Labor Worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 23, 2015
I hard tagged clothes and sports equipment such as hockey equipment, basketball, soccer, football and etc.. I also shelved and stocked product in all department.I also Stocked Cold drink fridges.
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: 50% off and 30 minute break.
Cons: i enjoyed my job.
Going into work helping customers on a day to day bases. I've learned to a nice tidy organized work space and communicate well with customers. My co-workers can be very helpful, the hardest part of my day would be dealing with customers that have questions for a department that I'm not apart of. Finally the most enjoyable part of my day would be able to satisfy as many customers as I can.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONApril 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Work Environment
Sportchek provided self growth in the retail industry. I learned new knowledge about up-sell and customer satisfaction.
Clothing
Clothing Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Unpaid Lunch, No 15minute break for 5hour shifts. Low pay.
A typical day at work involved walking around the store and ensuring everything was tidy. Co-workers wre easy to get along with.
Wii game system upstairs
CASH MANAGER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2015
Pros: caring manager
Cons: long hours
Enjoyed working with the teenagers. The company taught us to help grow future team leaders. Enjoyed the discounts on products as well-a great work perk.
Great environment and lifestyle.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ajax, ONMarch 8, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: managers move around a lot.
A fun job where you get to meet some great customers. Discount is great and really helps promote employees active lifestyles.

Only problem is it's hard to find a manager that will stay for more then 6 months.
Part Time Technician (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 5, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: no hours
good place to work, poor hours, poor training great current employees comforting place i would say a 7/10 maybe higher if you could get hours
Enjoyable and Fun Working Environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: not many shifts, or short shifts
Working at Sportchek is a fun interactive place to work. You are always meeting new and interesting people, allowing many learning experiences throughout the day. A typical work day as a cashier involves being interactive with customers and trying to give them the best shopping experience. Through retail I have learned the great art of patience and that you cannot let little things get you down. The most enjoyable part of this job would be getting to know all the my wonderful co-workers and being able to meet new people.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sport Chek

Sport Chek is one of the largest Canadian retailer of sporting clothing, sports equipment, with stores across Canada (excluding – Read more

Sport Chek Photos