Sport Chek Employee Reviews

good for part time after school job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2016
Sportchek is a good store to work for. The discount is great and i have made many friends but the management is not understanding and appreciative of staff members. its very hard to move up in the company and don't even try to call in sick because they will tell you to get your shift covered or you are coming in throwing up or not.
Pros
discount is great, i made a lot of friends
Cons
forced to work when sick, no appreciation for staff, pay raise is only 10 cents every year, only one half hour break in an 8 hour shi
Flexible and Fair Workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK7 November 2016
I am a Clothing Sales Advisor which means my day is spent marking up and/or down clothing product, making sure signs and product are ready each week for ad setup, ensuring the store is clean and in a presentable state for customers and above all else striving to providing excellent customer service. Working at Sport Chek I have learned a lot about the importance of prioritizing and organization. Management is easy to get along with and treats everyone fairly. My co-workers continue to build my character because of large variance in age groups. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with theft but the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to constantly be moving around.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Little chance of advancement
overall not a positive experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS19 September 2016
I was hired as a clothing associate and was thrown on the floor with no retail experience (which they knew upon hire) within 2 days and expected to answer customer questions without having to ask my own. The people that have been there for years are very cliquey and don't really offer much assistance. Was told I would get 25-32 hours a week which turned out to be 15 or less some times, so not a job you can depend on for an income. Was also told I would be cross trained on cash but that never happened and when I questioned it every manager brushed it off or never really "had time" to answer it. Overall you get the swing of things pretty quickly, refolding clothes over and over, security tagging things excessively and that's about the extent of your workload.
Pros
Discount on clothing/sporting goods
Cons
Bad hours, poor management, no chance of expanding or growing within the company
Productive and a fun place to work, with lots of opportunity to move up
Clothing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 September 2016
I enjoyed my ten years there, I was able to move up fast. I like being in a management role I found it challenging. Sport chek had great benefits , and comparable pay to other companies.
Encouraging Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 September 2016
- Typical Day: clean/maintain Sport Chek's standards of displays and back rooms
- Learned: how to improve your activities with proper shoes
- Management: well organized, put together, great communication
- Co-workers: hard workers, great energy
- Hardest part: not being able to give complete attention to customers during the busier times
- Most enjoyable part: connecting with customers
Pros
Get to be around the latest shoes
Cons
Far distance to travel
Productive and Energizing
Clothing Associate and Visual Associate (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB24 September 2016
This is a fun place to work, and is always an upbeat environment. Its never a bother to have to show up for a shift.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers during the busy times of the year. The most enjoyable part is getting to know the customers and successfully fulfilling their specific needs.
Pros
discount
Cons
management
Fun place to work with like minded people
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2016
Limited room for advancement
Manager likes to hold onto skilled employees and will block them from leaving to other positions
Excellent Discount program and work culture
Been employed for over 9 years and have never received a raise
Great group of people, real friendly environment among peers and managment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2016
Like any retail job you will have the busy days and the really slow days. Luckily at Sportchek there is always something to do to keep you busy, whether that's tasks to maintain the store or further training opportunities. It is also a very friendly environment from co workers to management
Pros
Staff events
Cons
Unsteady hours for part time employees
Enticing atmosphere and fantastic management
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 June 2016
Decent hours were given for each work day. I learned much information regarding how a job in retail operates, while at the same time improving my communication skills with fellow workers. Management was extremely helpful and friendly, and the overall environment was welcoming. Co-workers were also friendly and worked hard. The hardest part of the job involved the slower days, where all there was to do was stocking shelves and taking inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was how laid-back the workers and management were.
Pros
Good environment, decent hours
Cons
Quite repetitive
amazing place to work with lots of games to play after close
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON8 November 2016
Learned about balancing and counting out the till and safe. management was really nice. it was alway a great environment and they made it fun. the hardest part was doing returns on boxing day
Productive work place
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 September 2016
Same thing everyday, pretty repetitive.
Learned a lot more for management.
Co-workers are fantastic.
Hardest part of the job would be the constant management changes, and dealing with rude customers.
Best part of the job would be the discount and the good customers.
easy going coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC28 October 2016
great coworkers and management staff. hardest part of the job is to maintain standard display. most enjoyable part of the job is having coworkers and management staff who are really easy to talk to.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
poor pay
Fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 September 2016
Working at sport chek is like working with your family everyone works as a team to reach budget. Management can be strict but are understanding. Meeting people who are passionate about sports is probably the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
discount
Cons
Only half hour breaks
Depends on the Manager you have
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 August 2016
Sport Chek is a great store, and they definitely have awesome people to work with. It can get boring when it's a slow day but you're always on your feet. Management can be forgetful, make you wait long amounts of time for certain things that do rely on quick answers.
Motivational when it comes to health and fitness
Cashier & Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 April 2016
Sportchek is a job that provides a positive and enjoyable atmosphere as it promotes the importance of health and fitness. As somebody who has a passion for athletics, I enjoy working there. I've learned a lot when it comes to customer service and the importance of providing 10/10 service to every body that walks into our store. Our managers do their best to make our shifts as enjoyable as possible and they work hard in assuring that both their employees and customers are happy. There isn't really a hard part about working in Sportchek, however, the lack of hours available is sometimes frustrating. The most enjoyable part is probably the discount, especially if you're an employee that is also an Athlete.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
friendly environment
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON9 November 2016
My day is spent marking up and/or down clothing product, making sure signs and product are ready each week for ad setup, ensuring the store is clean and in a presentable state for customers and above all else striving to provide excellent customer service by suggesting products and helping with proper fittings.The most challenging part of the job would be having to deal with unpleasant customers, I just accommodate them the best I can and make sure their visit to sport check is a pleasant one.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Limited hours for part time staff. If your sick its your responsibility to find a replacement, if no one reply's you have to go in or get a write up.
Fun work environment
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 September 2016
Was friends with everyone you work with. Very outgoing atmosphere. Everyone was treated like family.
Management was great, could talk to them about anything and everything.
The discount was amazing, and was definitely a huge perk.
love discount didnt like work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 June 2016
i loved the discount it was like constantly buying stuff on sale all for my self. specially shoe discounts sucks that there are limits. didnt like management at all isnt easy going up to them at all without being dissed for anything!!! overall best discount horrible environment not my only experience had 3-4 other co workers quit too!!!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
no shifts, management
Productive workplace with a really good discount for employees
Softgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 May 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Management could be better.
Pros
Company Discount
Cons
Management could be better
not fun to work experience at sport chek
Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 September 2016
Basically everyday you don't do anything other than organizing shoe sizes all day and your stuck in the back until your done
Pros
breaks
Cons
Long hours, not fun for work experience