Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Fun and inclusive workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON21 May 2017
I love working at Sport Chek! It is a very fun environment and everyone I work with is great. However, hours are very sparse which is why many of my friends quit or have second/third jobs.
Pros
not stressful, great people
Cons
barely any hours for part-timers
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2017
great place to work. fun atmosphere. great skill building with customer service and sales. could be better with hourly wage to match the pressure put on sales associates to reach sales goals, especially since there is no longer commission.
A pleasant enough place
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 May 2017
Full disclosure, I only worked here for about 2 months and suspect I was terminated for not properly integrating with the staff. Basically, this means that I have a dark sense of humour, and the staff at the location didn't exactly take well to that. I moderately enjoyed the job, and they treated me really well. Pay was better than I've ever had, though looking at my work experience readers won't be very surprised with that. One problem that I did have was that I didn't have a clearly defined set of responsibilities, just some that I knew I had to do, and some that I thought were for if I were free. I'd asked the person who'd filled this position about this, they were very unhelpful. The conversation between us would go:
'What do I do when I run out of stuff to do?'
'There's always something to do.'
'Yes, but what are all of my responsibilities?' There would be no response to this, he'd usually just leave, or find something else to do. Losing this job is one of my regrets, but it probably wouldn't have worked out too well, since I was planning on going to school, and they needed me for the morning and wanted me for a long time which I was fine with. All in all, if you have the chance and you're willing to commit, I'd say it's worth it.
Pros
Good pay, discounts on products, paid vacations, pretty good benefits packages, guarantee of 40 hours a week
Cons
Early morning hours, very specific staff culture, a bit vague on expectations
Good
Sale Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON8 May 2017
I had a great experience at this job. I learned a lot of new skills and am great full for the opportunity. I would recommend this company to others who are looking for an honest, strong company.
ok.. for extra cash
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
Company itself is not very good. Management is unprofessional. Employee discount is great... but that's about the only perk.

The company was ok in the beginning but management changed & they didn't treat the staff fairly or professionally. This was my own experience but I have heard similar stories from other employees.

Work at sporting life if you want to work for this type of retail store.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
bad management
Would recommend
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB30 April 2017
Would definitely recommend to any students or part-timers looking for a fun and challenging environment. Going to work was oftentimes enjoyable and generally non-tedious.
Not great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2017
The staff is okay and the pay is fine. The customers are the best part of the job. Helping people is a big part of the position. The cleanup at night is easy and quick.
Fun work place, lots of product knowledge to learn
Footwear & Soft Goods Advisor - Sport Chek (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2017
Working at SportChek is definitely a fun and interesting experience
Daily tasks consist of
- keeping away daily stock (Shoes, socks, etc)
- price sweeping sales dept. for any price changes
- assisting customers with product knowledge of shoes & clothing
- updating sales on a weekly basis
- maintaining proper visual standards of clothing and display products
- constant up keep of floor cleanliness (sweeping floor, mopping if needed, dusting fixtures, etc)
- assuring products on sales floor are all properly tagged with a security tag/ sticker

Best part about the job is getting to learn about shoe technology and helping customers with their needs. Also meeting new people on a daily basis
Fun and fast paced
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB26 April 2017
Great place to work. A fast paced environment with a chance to learn how to converse with costumers in an effective and warm manner. Some parts can be busy but as long as you focus on the customer and their needs it can be rewarding.
Pros
Meeting and helping people
Cons
Hours can drag if the store isn't busy
Often a productive and fun workplace.
Part-time Sales Associate - Hard goods Department (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC23 April 2017
I enjoy working for Sportchek. Most of the people are understanding and willing to work with you rather then against you. You just have to be open-minded and remember to prioritize.
Productive and fun experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 April 2017
I learned a lot of communication skills by interacting with customers. I enjoyed helping people. It's a fun place to work with friends and you meet a lot of great people
Fun when you get hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
I love working at Sport Chek, however they hire way too many people at a time and then the employees end up getting next to no hours. I have been working here for 7 months and I still only get 4 hours or less a week.
Pros
Happy to train you in other departments other than your own.
Cons
Not enough hours to go around between employees
Great place to work, but...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
I started back in 2011, but before that I did coop there. That's how I got the job. During the first couple of years wasn't so bad. You did your training, but after training was done, you get sent straight to the floor and hope for the best, when it came to product knowledge and selling. They didn't train you properly at first and you had to go out of your way to find out about the products you sold. If you didn't sell enough, your shifts were cut down without notice. Management was pretty awesome at first. A lot of the employees are amazing there - they didn't come straight out of high school, with exceptions of the occasional high schooler here and there, but most were college-university students and you get a long with them pretty well. Even made some amazing friends throughout the 4 years there.

A couple years after 2011, they change their whole experience when it came to training and customer service. Training was more in-depth and you focused more on what the customer really needed. Certain days can be really hectic when it came to sales and the amount of traffic we got - can be fast-paced environment at times, then other times, can be slow-paced (you'll mostly maintain your sections when it slows down). Some times when your helping customers, you end up chatting with them about other things that has nothing to do with why they were there. Some times they even come back looking for you.

As years passed, noticed management comes and goes, some good and some just plain terrible. Makes you wonder how they became managers. During my first year there, we got to play
  more... games after closing and the managers at the time were really amazing, but when years passed on, we got less of that cause of management changes. Depending what managers you worked with, some will play "favourites" - some even got a promotion after working only 4 months there while others who have worked there for 10 years, still didn't. Some management/full-timers like to micromanage, while slack off and socialize with other employees. If they see you socialize for, less than 5 minutes, they tell you to split off, while they go back right to socializing with other employees.

If you wanted a promotion it all came down to the store manager. The department sales manager may like you, but if the general store manager doesn't, you're out of luck. And as years go on, it seems they don't recognize hard-workers and would rather promote someone, who sucks up and play "teachers pet".

You do get yearly reviews, and through those reviews, they figure out where your strengths and weaknesses are. Some managers even motivate you and encourage you to become better. Even if it isn't through yearly reviews, they still encourage you throughout your time there. If you wanted to work your way up, some managers would even help you. Some managers do recognize your hard work and contribution to the company and are aware of other terrible managers/full-timers.

The discounts are amazing there. Not only is it with Sport Chek, you get more discounts at Atmosphere and an online website that showcases different brands! Professional athletes even sometimes come through your store or even people from TV shows. The hours are pretty flexible. If you're a student or have another job, they accommodate very well. And if you live further from a Sport Chek location, they usually could transfer you to a closer one. They could even transfer you to Atmosphere (or some of there other banners) if you wanted - that's what I did and left Sport Chek back in 2015 for Atmosphere. Management got bad over the years and some good ones were transferred as head office needed them at other locations.

If you're looking to make your way up in this company, good luck as a lot of the higher-ups plays favourites. There isn't any job security as part-timers.
Pros
Awesome discounts, some managers were amazing, great coworkers, Atmosphere is great depending on management
Cons
Some management micromanages, favouritism
great place to work
Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 April 2017
I have been working here part time while I attend school, my managers are all very nice they are flexible with hours and is overall a fun environment to work at
Good employee discounts.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON15 April 2017
Poor hours and understaffed 90% of the time unless you're working at yorkdale. Sometimes you will be left alone to run a whole section by yourself. No commission for footwear.
Flexible, Part-time, Fun Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB11 April 2017
Management needs to be more strict in some areas. employees are lazy with no incentive. It is definitely a job for uneducated, current students for part time employment.
Fun with good people and good leaders . Co workers got a long and worked together . Pay was a little low for day time employees for the work done did
Sales Associate/ shop tech (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 April 2017
A fun workplace with active co workers who helped and worked with each other through problems . Leadership was good most of the the time . Pay was ok for some kids , but commission would really boost some people's desire as well as reward those who worked hard
Pros
Fun place
Cons
Pay
Amazing Staff
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON5 April 2017
Out of all the places in retail that I have worked, This is hands down the place I felt at home and loved my job. The people I worked with were just amazing and I couldn't have asked for a better manager..
Great staff and Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 April 2017
You learn a lot about the products you will be selling before you get to the floor so you aren't stumped by questions your first few shifts. Staff are very welcoming to new staff and you pick up a lot of knowledge from talking to them and customers. Their main focus is customer service, so you could spend a whole shift chatting with customers.
Pros
opportunity for pay increase every year
Cons
occasional issues with scheduling
Fun place but a bit harsh at times
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 April 2017
A typical day at work included clocking in, getting a walkie talkie for communication between the stockroom and the floor, and gong to your designated area. Usually, I would be put in either Mens running, Casual or Basketball footwear. There i would have the most fun just meeting and talking to customers naturally, just out of pure enjoyment. The toughest part of the job was the unorganized communication between The runners upstairs and the sales associates on the main floor. The store was too big and most of the shoes were stocked upstairs where it would sometimes take 10 -15 minutes for a customer to try on a shoe.
Pros
good Disounts
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.