Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work with like minded people
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
Limited room for advancement
Manager likes to hold onto skilled employees and will block them from leaving to other positions
Excellent Discount program and work culture
Been employed for over 9 years and have never received a raise
Scarce Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Not enough hours. Favoritism a large factor in getting hours. Full time very difficult to come by. Was eligible for raise but never given one with constantly changing management. No stability.
High Energy with Great Customers
F/T (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 19, 2016
Sportchek is a fun place to work if you have a love for a healthy and active lifestyle. The training on products is very well done, and once you learn about the products, it really makes you wonder why you ever shopped elsewhere.

The only issues I had were with certain unqualified management members, and the hourly wage wasn't enough in comparison to work required when I started receiving more responsibilities.

I really enjoyed the conversations with customers about what kinds of things they were getting into, or were already passionate about. It's interesting to see that there is so much going on even in our little communities.

Canadian Tire/ Sportchek donates very generously to Jumpstart which helps get kids into sports, and being a part of a company that makes a difference in my community is great!
Pros
Great co workers and products
Cons
low pay, lots of duties
It's fun if you got a great group of people
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
A typical day in softgoods can get boring but with great staff the time goes by really quick. The tasks are not that mentally and physically demanding and so it's a rather easy going work environment. The management team at my location is probably one of the best in the province they do great job of maintaining a respectful yet casual and fun atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would probably be maintenance of the store and meeting standards but with on going practice and team effort its always achievable.
Pros
discount
Cons
boring shifts
My first experiences
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 18, 2016
Typical days at work with my work experiences were usually busy or half busy. I learned to clean the floors, make goody bags, and stock shelves. Never had to be a manager. They were the best co-workers out there and were really to learn how teach me new experiences for when i get a real job. The hardest part of the job was waking up two hours early and going out to the work place before 8AM. Lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free lunch, learning new experiences, and interacting with other people
Cons
Long hours, usually if i showed up late, I would have lunch late
Inspiring and fun workplace with fair managment
Footwear and Soft Goods Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at Sport Chek, starts off with the morning huddle, this provides Managers and employees with the goals set in place to reach our sales for the day. The percentages earned from the previous days are also discussed, we then work together as a team to highlight which areas are strong and which areas aren't according to sales. I learned how important working together is and how every department benefits through the best communication from our staff. We all communicate on floor through ear pieces and mini microphones attached to our uniforms, this helps us to achieve quick customer service. Making our customers happier. Management is very fair and completely flexible with staff due to sports, tournaments and schooling. Along with management my coworkers work together to set goals and reach them. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help every customer, although we are trained to help numerous customers at a time it is simply impossible to give every customer the quality information they deserve, that is where my coworkers come in and work as a team to make sure every department and customer is taken care of. The most enjoyable part of my job is inspiring Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles and seeing our customers leave happy knowing they were provided with the best.
Productive and fun work environment.
Full-time Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leaside, ONJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.
Fast-paced workplace with a positive company message and friendly atmosphere
Cash Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2015
Fun place to work at with great employee discounts. Decent amount of red tape and politics. Management dynamics are sometimes stressful but expected of a big company. Work expectations vary greatly depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Enticing atmosphere and fantastic management
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 25, 2016
Decent hours were given for each work day. I learned much information regarding how a job in retail operates, while at the same time improving my communication skills with fellow workers. Management was extremely helpful and friendly, and the overall environment was welcoming. Co-workers were also friendly and worked hard. The hardest part of the job involved the slower days, where all there was to do was stocking shelves and taking inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was how laid-back the workers and management were.
Pros
Good environment, decent hours
Cons
Quite repetitive
Motivational when it comes to health and fitness
Cashier & Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Sportchek is a job that provides a positive and enjoyable atmosphere as it promotes the importance of health and fitness. As somebody who has a passion for athletics, I enjoy working there. I've learned a lot when it comes to customer service and the importance of providing 10/10 service to every body that walks into our store. Our managers do their best to make our shifts as enjoyable as possible and they work hard in assuring that both their employees and customers are happy. There isn't really a hard part about working in Sportchek, however, the lack of hours available is sometimes frustrating. The most enjoyable part is probably the discount, especially if you're an employee that is also an Athlete.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
fun and lively
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCMay 24, 2016
A typical day of work would result in me hanging and tagging the close we are putting on the floor. Then trying to shift things around to make the product fit in with the rest of the brand, or similar items. Then in between all that is helping customers find what they are looking for and if I cant then finding something is similar to the product or will fit their needs even better. But what I have learned most in a typical day of work is how to interact batter with people, and how I have done this by the help of my clothing manager. She walks me through the steps and when I'm done helping a customer I usually go back to her tell her and ask what I can approve upon. My co-workers are people I can depended upon when I need to run into the back or need help because I have to many customers I'm trying to help. Which is really the hardest part of the job is trying to juggle so customers at once, but the most enjoyable part is when I find what the customer is looking for. Another enjoyable part would be getting to here the customers stories about where they come from or what they are training for, and why.
Productive and fun workplace indeed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
I think this place was fun and exciting. Each work day was filled with surprise and welcoming challenges. The managers here, did their best to positively engage each employee with duties that suit their personalities and interests, as well as drilling product knowledge, in every opportunity. As a result every employee was well educated in the product, enough to be comfortable with every customer when recommending the product. The hard-work of the manager led the store to gain the first position out of all its competitors i the district.
Pros
Excellent work ethic
Cons
Pressure
good for part time after school job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 23, 2016
Sportchek is a good store to work for. The discount is great and i have made many friends but the management is not understanding and appreciative of staff members. its very hard to move up in the company and don't even try to call in sick because they will tell you to get your shift covered or you are coming in throwing up or not.
Pros
discount is great, i made a lot of friends
Cons
forced to work when sick, no appreciation for staff, pay raise is only 10 cents every year, only one half hour break in an 8 hour shi
Productive workplace with a really good discount for employees
Softgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 9, 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Management could be better.
Pros
Company Discount
Cons
Management could be better
Flexible hours, Great management, and a good work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of completing many tasks while also staying available to the customers demands and needs. these various tasks include re-stocking product on display, general maintenance of the department and a selection of nightly assigned cleaning duties such as sweeping and or changing the garbage's in the department
Pros
flexible hours, stress free environment
Nice people with a welcoming and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work for me is standing behind a desk, tidying up, and helping customers with their purchases. Ive learned more about sports than anything, but I've also gained great communication skills with not only customers but the people I work with. The best part about my job is when the customer leaves in a great mood and are satisfied with their purchase.
Pros
Our discounts
Cons
slow days
great customers and coworkers
Hardgoods Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 17, 2016
management not the best.
quit due to sexist comments made by the general manager
not given breaks until OVER 5 hours.
it can be super slow and boring just like any retail job.
Pros
great discount (but theres a limit)
Productive and friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 6, 2016
Everyone part of the sport chek community provides a friendly and professional environment. All of the management team as well as the employees make me look forward to going into work ever
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 13, 2016
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Typical, yet enjoyable and rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, OntarioSeptember 16, 2015
I personally think Sportchek, Hylands is a great learning experience in the retail world of sports goods and apparel. A typical day at work is like any other typical day; greet co-workers, managers, clock in, then head straight to your station. Being a cashier there helped me with interpersonal skills with customers I have never encountered; angry, troublesome, loud, etc... I also learned about the importance of customer service to the company and management.
The management of this branch was great but not perfect. Overall, I'd say this location has one of the highest rates of management and customer service out of all London Sportchek locations, from what I've heard.
The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the tasks as a cashier. It involves great complex work and can sometimes be stressful depending how busy it gets, which are usually on special holiday sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to adapt to a community of hard-working people that you can be apart of. They are motivative, helpful, and feels great to be a part of it. The benefits of being part of the Sportchek family is great as well, which is my favourite part.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Short hours