Sport Chek Employee Reviews

good for part time after school job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 23, 2016
Sportchek is a good store to work for. The discount is great and i have made many friends but the management is not understanding and appreciative of staff members. its very hard to move up in the company and don't even try to call in sick because they will tell you to get your shift covered or you are coming in throwing up or not.
Pros
discount is great, i made a lot of friends
Cons
forced to work when sick, no appreciation for staff, pay raise is only 10 cents every year, only one half hour break in an 8 hour shi
Encouraging Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 8, 2016
- Typical Day: clean/maintain Sport Chek's standards of displays and back rooms
- Learned: how to improve your activities with proper shoes
- Management: well organized, put together, great communication
- Co-workers: hard workers, great energy
- Hardest part: not being able to give complete attention to customers during the busier times
- Most enjoyable part: connecting with customers
Pros
Get to be around the latest shoes
Cons
Far distance to travel
Enjoyable and fun workplace
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 21, 2016
A typical day at work is a casual flow of customers who need questions to be answered. I have learned how to properly communicate with customers and to sell merchendise exceedingly. Managment and co-workers are well behaved and very responsible. Hardest part of the job is to keep up with the pace of multiple customers in one time frame. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you successfully provided the amount of information needed to complete the sell with the customer.
Flexible hours, Great management, and a good work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of completing many tasks while also staying available to the customers demands and needs. these various tasks include re-stocking product on display, general maintenance of the department and a selection of nightly assigned cleaning duties such as sweeping and or changing the garbage's in the department
Pros
flexible hours, stress free environment
Nice people with a welcoming and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work for me is standing behind a desk, tidying up, and helping customers with their purchases. Ive learned more about sports than anything, but I've also gained great communication skills with not only customers but the people I work with. The best part about my job is when the customer leaves in a great mood and are satisfied with their purchase.
Pros
Our discounts
Cons
slow days
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 13, 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Enticing atmosphere and fantastic management
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 25, 2016
Decent hours were given for each work day. I learned much information regarding how a job in retail operates, while at the same time improving my communication skills with fellow workers. Management was extremely helpful and friendly, and the overall environment was welcoming. Co-workers were also friendly and worked hard. The hardest part of the job involved the slower days, where all there was to do was stocking shelves and taking inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job was how laid-back the workers and management were.
Pros
Good environment, decent hours
Cons
Quite repetitive
Productive and Energizing
Clothing Associate and Visual Associate (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABSeptember 24, 2016
This is a fun place to work, and is always an upbeat environment. Its never a bother to have to show up for a shift.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers during the busy times of the year. The most enjoyable part is getting to know the customers and successfully fulfilling their specific needs.
Pros
discount
Cons
management
Fantastic
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2016
Sport Chek was extremely flexible with hours and managers actually cared about their employees. Very enjoyable people to work with and an environment that was easy to get used to. Always something to do to keep busy. Managers would take time to teach you so you could improve instead of just being yelled at when you don't know how to do something.
Pros
Flexible, positive environment and great managers.
Cons
Low pay
love discount didnt like work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 16, 2016
i loved the discount it was like constantly buying stuff on sale all for my self. specially shoe discounts sucks that there are limits. didnt like management at all isnt easy going up to them at all without being dissed for anything!!! overall best discount horrible environment not my only experience had 3-4 other co workers quit too!!!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
no shifts, management
overall not a positive experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSSeptember 19, 2016
I was hired as a clothing associate and was thrown on the floor with no retail experience (which they knew upon hire) within 2 days and expected to answer customer questions without having to ask my own. The people that have been there for years are very cliquey and don't really offer much assistance. Was told I would get 25-32 hours a week which turned out to be 15 or less some times, so not a job you can depend on for an income. Was also told I would be cross trained on cash but that never happened and when I questioned it every manager brushed it off or never really "had time" to answer it. Overall you get the swing of things pretty quickly, refolding clothes over and over, security tagging things excessively and that's about the extent of your workload.
Pros
Discount on clothing/sporting goods
Cons
Bad hours, poor management, no chance of expanding or growing within the company
Productive work environment
Service Technican - Hardgoods sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONSeptember 21, 2016
- Very productive and busy days, processing sale item's and mechanically fixing sports equipment.
- Gained product knowledge through out each department. Certified with ski/snowboard companies within the service shop.
- Great staff to work with.
- Easy and enjoyable work.
Positive work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 25, 2016
A typical day at sportchek consists of greeting customers, providing them with information about our products and services, and cashing customers out.

While at the till I am responsible for the cash and ensuring all media balances at the end of the shift.

I also participate in cleaning tasks as well as stocking the store.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Too many cashiers hired, not enough hours
Productive workplace with a really good discount for employees
Softgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 9, 2016
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.
Management could be better.
Pros
Company Discount
Cons
Management could be better
Productive and fun workplace indeed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
I think this place was fun and exciting. Each work day was filled with surprise and welcoming challenges. The managers here, did their best to positively engage each employee with duties that suit their personalities and interests, as well as drilling product knowledge, in every opportunity. As a result every employee was well educated in the product, enough to be comfortable with every customer when recommending the product. The hard-work of the manager led the store to gain the first position out of all its competitors i the district.
Pros
Excellent work ethic
Cons
Pressure
Productive work place
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 22, 2016
Same thing everyday, pretty repetitive.
Learned a lot more for management.
Co-workers are fantastic.
Hardest part of the job would be the constant management changes, and dealing with rude customers.
Best part of the job would be the discount and the good customers.
Depends on the Manager you have
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONAugust 30, 2016
Sport Chek is a great store, and they definitely have awesome people to work with. It can get boring when it's a slow day but you're always on your feet. Management can be forgetful, make you wait long amounts of time for certain things that do rely on quick answers.
Motivational when it comes to health and fitness
Cashier & Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Sportchek is a job that provides a positive and enjoyable atmosphere as it promotes the importance of health and fitness. As somebody who has a passion for athletics, I enjoy working there. I've learned a lot when it comes to customer service and the importance of providing 10/10 service to every body that walks into our store. Our managers do their best to make our shifts as enjoyable as possible and they work hard in assuring that both their employees and customers are happy. There isn't really a hard part about working in Sportchek, however, the lack of hours available is sometimes frustrating. The most enjoyable part is probably the discount, especially if you're an employee that is also an Athlete.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 17, 2016
Working at sport chek is like working with your family everyone works as a team to reach budget. Management can be strict but are understanding. Meeting people who are passionate about sports is probably the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
discount
Cons
Only half hour breaks
fun workplace environment
Hardgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 7, 2016
Great team of part time stuff, met a lot of really nice people, some who I am glad to call friends. This helps make the work environment a fun and positive place.
Pros
ability to change own availability on schedule as it changes.
Cons
unpaid lunches