Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place
SALES ASSOCIATE-FOOTWEAR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
Very productive work place, was able to learn everything efficiently and was able to elevate my customer service skills. Also gained new tactics and skills on how to handle customers and how to approach in a positive way.
Over worked
Manager (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON16 March 2017
For the salary a lot is expected from a person. Quite often minimal direction is given. Unrealistic expectations are set for completing tasks. Sometimes very frustrating place to work
Pros
training camps
Cons
Store manager has minimal follow up and training for managers
Fun workplace with good discount
Hard Goods Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2017
If you aren't going to use the discount and buy a lot of items from Sportchek I'd suggest finding a retail store that pays more starting wage (you start at minimum and rarely see an increase). I got a 40 cent raise after a year, and my sales were above average. The discount is what really counts, as you can save a lot of money. It's a fun workplace that is very welcoming, definitely a positive experience that I will take forward with me.
In cold lake the clothing manager sucks
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB11 March 2017
Cold lake clothing manager is beyond rude and terrible to work with. Not worth it.
She does not do more then she needs to. She needs to be fired and someone who actually wants to be there.
Excellent job for part time work
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 March 2017
As someone who was looking for part-time work, but also had weeks with more availability, this was a great place to work. They tried their best to keep my shifts to the number requested, but would be happy to fit me in more if I could take on more hours.
Lack of employee respect
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB6 March 2017
Lack of respect from managers to associates, little to no hours, hard to make any money when they only give 5 hours a week, and ive been there 2 years. They don't respect their employees, I've experienced tyranny as opposed to support, animosity when I called in sick (I've only ever called in sick once in my two years of work). I am a 19 year old student whos making less than 240$ a month, and regardless of my availability, I wont get more than 5Hrs a week
Pros
discount
Cons
disrespect
Summary
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 March 2017
The staff at sportchek provided me with a very close and personal relationship and we grew together and helped eachother out everyway we could.
sportchek management was excellent and set an amazing example for me and how I would conduct myself in later careers.
during my time there, the people I worked with became much more then co workers and mean quite a bit to me.
would recommend sportchek for anyone looking for a great team mentality sales approach and to develop selling and interpersonal skills.
Amazing place to grow as an individual and as a worker
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON26 February 2017
Working at Sport Chek mostly consists of keeping items sufficiently stocked at all times as well as providing great customer service. I learned how to properly and effectively get tasks done on a daily basis, as well as truly see what it means to be a great employee. The management is and always has been fantastic, and provide anything you'd ever need at all times.
They didn't care if you weren't doing your job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2017
I loved working here because I worked in the sports department and I love sports. The managment didn't care if you were on your phone or chatting even when customers were there. Theg hiried way to many people at once and then let go of people because they were younger and part times.
Pros
Really good pay
Cons
Managment doesn't really know what they're doing
fun fast pace
Sport Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON24 February 2017
was a good job, hours were not that great but all in all great people an had fun, an learned alot, leaned alot about bikes an fitness electronic watches, the company provided great discounts on all merchandise as well.
Pros
discount
Cons
hours were slow
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2017
I don't love sport chek, the management is not run well and they do not treat their employees very fairly. Not given the expected hours they tell you when you are hired.
Sportchek has helped me gain lots of work experience
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2017
When I was working full-time at Sportchek, I learned how to become a team leader. My job was to supervise the cashiers and make sure they were doing everything correctly. If the cashiers had any problems or questions they would come to me to help them fix their problem. I would order weekly coin orders and make sure the nightly cash out was done properly. The hardest part about my job was being the same age or even younger then most of the cashiers, and having to become their supervisor because a lot of them were my friends before I got promoted. I enjoyed working full-time before I went to school because it helped me gain a stronger work ethic that has helped me in school.
fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 February 2017
I like working here because i love sports but i just wasnt making enough or getting enough hours. the people were very fun to work with. I love the products we sell. The hardest part was selling snow sports because i do not know a whole lot about that. The best part was selling hockey because i could talk about the sport i love all day long
Pros
the discount was amazing for employees
Cons
not enough hours
Very fun and upbeat workplace had a great time working for them.
Clothing sales associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
On a daily basis i would clean the store (mop, swiffer, fold and re-hang clothing) I learned how to read people better from giving customers the complete experience, knowing when they needed or wanted help by reading their body language. The work place had a great vibe to it everyone was always up beat and energized had a great feel to be there. Hardest part of the job was mopping just the most labour intensive overall everything else was great. Best part of the job was by far the entertainment that our managers set up for us to improve our day to day lives like playing a quick frisbee competition usually ending with the winner getting a drink of their choice from the cooler paid for by the manager on duty and the 2 losers cleaning the washrooms, made it a fun way to divide up the chores that had to be done also we would have little competitions between sections of the store so one side of clothing would vs the other to see who could clean their sections (usually mens vs women's) the best and quickest just to motivate us at the end of a long day. Management was fun and all around a group of great people they really cared for their coworkers and their jobs which improved the overall feel of the workplace ten fold.
Pros
entertaining work play, ie: competitions to see who cleans washrooms, hide n' go seek after hrs for fun, etc.
Cons
long hrs, especially during christmas constantly working 1-2 hrs longer than expected
I loved working there!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
Amazing co workers great management good training good pay good hours benifits amazing discount honestly loved working there hated I had to leave for personal reasons
Pros
Good hours, not over worked
Cons
Training process isn't the best but what training is?
Good work life balance
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario31 January 2017
Not a lot of room to move up in the company as it is not growing very fast. Not a very competitive salary with other box retailers in Canada. The company does however encourage an outside life and is flexible to its employees outside of management.
not bad
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2017
Most of the team are understanding of family matters. Can at times be a fast paced environment. The team does have some good members!
Pros
discount
Cons
manager
Fun, I enjoy my responsibilities and the people I work with
Pt/Clothing (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON29 January 2017
A typical day at work involves me first emptying and putting away all the clothing on the rollbacks, keeping the fitting room clean, and helping customers find what they are looking for. Answering phone calls directed to my department are also involved. The people I work with are fun and very kind and the managers are understanding, respectful and also very kind. I wouldn't say there is anything too difficult about the job - it's actually very straightforward. I do though enjoy helping customers the most and being able to help them find exactly what they're looking for.
Enjoyable workspace with sub-par management
Footwear Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON26 January 2017
Work load and overall job life was a fantastic balance between completing tasks and maintaining freedom. Management was sub-par and showed little to no respect towards part-time staff.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Poor managent
Different, Enjoyable.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 January 2017
I learned a lot working at Logit Group. The coworkers and supervisors were very nice. I looked forward to working there every day.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and boss.
Cons
Difficult time slots

89%