Sport Chek

Sport Chek Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Using workers like they are disposable
Part Time Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Courtenay, BCJune 17, 2015
Pros: decent discount
Cons: long hours, uncomfortable management, few breaks, poor attitude, impossibly high expectations
Typically, a day at work involved trying to meet enormous sales quotas and being chastised when they wern't obtained. Usually, there was a lot of tidying to do, and the environment was very fast paced. Occasionally, I had to work on very busy days (boxing day) on my own, as a new employee. Talk about overwhelming. As much as they might like to think they embrace safety at work, it was often ignored. No gloves/personal safety equipment was giving when employee were required to clean the bathrooms (including the toilet, inside and out.) The bunks at the back that the shoe are held in, with many levels, about 12 ft high, were commonly climbed on. It was easy to fall and twist your ankle, or get squished between the bunks. But you /needed/ to make money, so money before safety. Management was innapropriate. Uncomfortable touching, bad-mouthing other employees (calling them drug addicts, saying they're stupid) infront of customers or co-workers. Bad communication. Not understanding. Required to go 5 hours without so much as a 15 minutes break. Once, when I was sick (puking, diarrhea) they required me to work 6.5 hours alone, and didn't give me a break, even when I requested it. I was told someone was being called in to take my shift and I needed to 'tough it out'. Just ignore labour laws, right? Co workers were okay. Some homophobia and sexism. Interesting that a store based on finding your personal level of fitness has employees that commonly fat-bash women, and call womens sports bad things. Morning 'team cleans' that were meant to build team spirit made me feel more and more unliked, – more... and uncomfortable. Most training is done online, and some of the mandatory quizzes ended up having incorrect answers, so they were hard to pass. I barely had time to do the online training, since I wasn't allowed off the floor, and was kept after my shift to complete them. The most enjoyable part was working with the kids, because they were always understanding, and their parents were usually okay with me. Dealing with rude customers was the hardest part, especially when I was working alone. Having to go to the back of the store and locate 15 different pairs of shoes at once was not fun. One of the managers refused to help out in footwear because he "didnt know anything about shoes." My hours fluctuated from 3 a week, to 20 a week, erratically. – less
As always it starts with Management and goes downhill
Footwear (Former Employee), Lindsay, ONJune 26, 2014
Pros: inspiring other people, discount of merchandise
Cons: the management and the ones who had their head in the sand shaking
The saying of you are only as good as your manager allows comes into play in the location I was in. I am not going to negate the entire company based on the one location I worked at but will tell you exactly what it was like.

Was a new store being built in our mall, Running is my life and was excited to be a part of the team, however in 6 months of opening, the shifting happens where managers move on and while that is great and all, the management they had in place lied on her resume about management experience and the two years I was under her, had no word of a lie 50 people quit due to her pathetic management skills.

She was allowed to bad mouth staff to her fellow co-workers and management team, and decided that to make up for her insecurity she would in bark orders, or make up stuff to make her look good.

The beauty was, customers complained about her! And yet she was being geared up to be Store Manager. Unreal.

Because I enjoyed the staff I worked with, the people I met and the great perks of discounts I subjected myself to being put down daily by her.

The other beauty of it all, I was part time which was fine but my sales beat hers by a long shot and the one they wanted to gear to full time was dealing drugs out of the shoe box. Think I am kidding--its Lindsay, enough said.

This was 2 years ago, and I am long gone and now a manager with another sports company. I use her as an example of how not to manage.

You would think 50 people quitting due to one person, would wake FGL -now Can Tire- up not to mention the countless emails to customer service would alert that – more... there is something wrong but nope somehow she was allowed to act like that is now laughable and just plain pathetic. – less
Decent place to work
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Owen Sound, ONJune 13, 2013
Pros: great discount, flexible schedule, fun working environment
Cons: lack of hours, minimal breaks
I worked at Sportchek for almost two years. In the beginning, it seemed like a very positive place to work with a good amount of hours working around school and social life. However, being a new sales associate comes with lack of knowledge. From my experience, it seems you are given approximately one month to prove yourself worthy and if not, they will cut your hours to the bare minimum(one shift a week or less). Although you can redeem yourself, this will take time, recognition from co-workers, and positive feedback from customers, in getting your desired amount of hours back. I found it helped to stay on the manager's good side by doing my work both efficiently and correctly. If you do something incorrect, your co-workers will put you down and make you seem like a complete idiot, talking only behind your back. I found this to be most evident within the adults rather than the students. If you smoke, you will enjoy the endless smoke breaks provided and if you don't, you might as well start to exceed your one, half hour lunch break you get if your shift is five hours or longer. The most positive part I found about the job would have to be the cost plus 10% discount storewide. You're limited to $2000 discount per year but it could be shared with friends and family as well. All in all, Sportchek didn't seem like too bad of a place to work. I would recommend it to anyone with a busy schedule, looking for part-time hours, and a good discount on sporting goods.
amazing place to work, min wage but always opportunity for raise :)
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: friday treat day, staff appreciation day, support, opportunities to advance.
Cons: pay is minimum wage, but if you work hard you will get a raise.
I love my job. Since moving to Edmonton i had found it hard to find friends and school was tough. I got my job at sportchek shortly after I moved and it was the best decision i have ever made. The staff and management is amazing. They will do whatever they can to fit your school schedule and always support you and give you advice when you need it. When i had trouble writing a politics essay, they all chipped in to help me write it and understand what I thought was impossible. You can relate to everyone and even have conversations on where you want to be in life. The management truly cares about your wellbeing and even provide staff appreciation days along with Friday treat days. we look out for each other because we are a team. You learn how to be a leader and also how to work together pitching in, every department to get the tasks done. The discount is amazing and the pay is.. not bad.. but thats not the reason you are there. You are there because you become apart of a family. A family that cares about you and supports you. There is so much room to advance if you work hard and your team will cheer you on 100%. I have learned so much from this great company and can honestly say i have a second family here in edmonton. If i feel overwhelmed or anxious, they are there to comfort and help me get through whatever it is i am going through. If you have the chance to be apart of this amazing team, I can promise you it will be a great experience and you will make friends that will last a lifetime.
Used to be the high school student's dream job...
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Belleville, ONDecember 10, 2013
Began working at SportChek in 2006 and recently left because upper management was absolutely awful to deal with. Working at Sportchek CAN be amazing, the idea of teamwork really builds a mini "family" among staff within the store, however if the management lacks positive reinforcement and desires only power and control for him/herself, everything below that seems to crumble. Likewise, I am sure this would happen with all stores!
Specific Issues:
1) scheduling was done according to who management was friends with
2) upper management was hypocritical - would tell part-timers they couldn't do certain things, and then do them theirselves
3) upper management was condescending and unappreciative - didn't matter what you did or how much work you put in, it generally went unnoticed
4) upper management could not be trusted -- confidential meetings or discussions were often NOT kept confidential
5) communication with upper management was almost non-existent because she/he was intimidating and disrespectful
Unfortunately, this store is not a good representation of the company -- FGL is a great company to work for, as I have worked in another SportChek that had an amazing reputation! Although the discount is enticing, the atmosphere seems great for those of you that live an active lifestyle, and the people are youthful and friendly, none of that makes up for the condescending, selfishness of upper management.
Fun place with great management and staff
Part-time Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), City Centre, Edmonton, ABNovember 7, 2014
Pros: free yoga, running club, great attitudes, good discount
Cons: no ft if not management
Working for big corporations (as I have done in the past) I have noticed a trend with management (especially upper) - they care only about sales and very little about staff. The only way you can get any sort of acknowledgement is to sell the most product 24/7. Now, I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't try to do their best, but sometimes the best isn't possible: people don't want to try something on, want to buy something, or even want any help. Sometimes it is out of your control. Upper management does not care for your "excuses", though - all they see is sales. They would much rather let you go and hire someone else than give you a chance to improve. Sportchek is not like that. They understand that employees are an essential building block to a company's success, and that you should treat them with respect as such. The management there is all very nice (including the store manager Rob) and they are always willing to work with you & help out whenever you need it. I am never afraid to ask a question whenever I am at work. This company offers a great atmosphere & great people to make a great working environment.
Inspiring and fun workplace with fair managment
Footwear and Soft Goods Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at Sport Chek, starts off with the morning huddle, this provides Managers and employees with the goals set in place to reach our sales for the day. The percentages earned from the previous days are also discussed, we then work together as a team to highlight which areas are strong and which areas aren't according to sales. I learned how important working together is and how every department benefits through the best communication from our staff. We all communicate on floor through ear pieces and mini microphones attached to our uniforms, this helps us to achieve quick customer service. Making our customers happier. Management is very fair and completely flexible with staff due to sports, tournaments and schooling. Along with management my coworkers work together to set goals and reach them. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help every customer, although we are trained to help numerous customers at a time it is simply impossible to give every customer the quality information they deserve, that is where my coworkers come in and work as a team to make sure every department and customer is taken care of. The most enjoyable part of my job is inspiring Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles and seeing our customers leave happy knowing they were provided with the best.
Productive and Fun workplace
Part Time Sales Associate (Clothing) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: employee discount is cost plus 10%
Cons: the employee discount is limited and the pay is low.
For the hours you are scheduled to work, you are primarily talking with customers or cleaning the store so it looks neat and tidy.

During my time there I learned all there is to know about clothing from the different fabrics to the overall design and purpose of certain products.

The management overall is pretty relaxed. If you ever need time off for anything, they will generally give you the day off. At the same time, they do there best to make sure your busy when you are at work if your not busy already.

Co-workers for the most part are very nice, humorous, and enjoyable to talk to. That being said they can be quick to file a complaint if someone isn't pulling their weight in their job related duties (which rarely happens) but for the most part are easy going.

The hardest part of the job is keeping yourself occupied during the slow hours of the day.

The most enjoyable part of the day is being able to meet some amazing being. On a regular basis, professional athletes may shop at your store for various sporting good items, and if you listen, they may have an interesting story to tell.
Typical, yet enjoyable and rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee), London, OntarioSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Great discounts
Cons: Short hours
I personally think Sportchek, Hylands is a great learning experience in the retail world of sports goods and apparel. A typical day at work is like any other typical day; greet co-workers, managers, clock in, then head straight to your station. Being a cashier there helped me with interpersonal skills with customers I have never encountered; angry, troublesome, loud, etc... I also learned about the importance of customer service to the company and management.
The management of this branch was great but not perfect. Overall, I'd say this location has one of the highest rates of management and customer service out of all London Sportchek locations, from what I've heard.
The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the tasks as a cashier. It involves great complex work and can sometimes be stressful depending how busy it gets, which are usually on special holiday sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to adapt to a community of hard-working people that you can be apart of. They are motivative, helpful, and feels great to be a part of it. The benefits of being part of the Sportchek family is great as well, which is my favourite part.
Sportchek doesn't make sense, don't try to make sense of it, you will be saddened with how much less sense this place makes, with time.
Sales associate - Clothing (Current Employee), Owen Sound, ONDecember 8, 2013
Pros: employee discount, satisfaction of helping customers/people, knowing that this is rock bottom
Cons: wildebeest, still working here
The wildebeest is a very under-experienced member of authority, to be in a position of power and supervision over people. The wildebeest will blame you for every problem, even if you weren't present for the shift in which the problem(s) arouse. The wildebeest will blame you for someone else's problem, because you are present. The wildebeest doesn't understand the tasks in which it delegates. If you are talking for more than one second with a co-worker, about work-related tasks, it will attempt to destroy you with it's deathly heat-seeking laser eye rocket nukes, but the odds are it won't see you because it will either be turning it's back on you to look at 1/2 of departments it is responsible for, or it will be taking generous amounts of smoke breaks. The wildebeest would be missed by none, if it imploded from the energy expelled from the clashing levels of stupidity and unreasonable madness, released potently from her facial area.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Hardgoods/Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 28, 2012
Working at SportChek has been a really good learning experience for me and gave me the potential to grow into the hard worker I am today. I enjoy the challenge the job brings and everyday is different allowing you to learn new things and meet new people.

I used to work in the footwear department for the last 4 years advising and selling technical footwear. While in footwear I managed the footwear day-to-day operations by delegating tasks to co-workers while being instructed by my footwear department manager. I have shown to have a strong work ethic, excellent time management and decision-making skills, strong communication skills and the ability to adapt to a changing environment.

Just a month or 2 ago I was moved into the hardgoods department of the store and now advise and sell sporting equiptment. There was a lot to learn in a short period of time but I made a nice smooth transition into the department. Since being in hardgoods I have carried over skills and work ethic that I used in footwear and have made the hardgoods department more organized. I have also learned a few things in our tech shop, like building bicycles and sharpening skates.
Sportchek Career
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Discount on merchandise and flexible work hours
Cons: Small shifts
I love my job at Sportchek. A typical day would consist of talking to customers to make sure that they are getting the best help and finding everything that they would need for what they are trying to do, whether that be going to the gym or daily activities. I would also tell customers about how to take care of their new purchases to get the most out of their dollar. I would able have one-on-one meetings with the other employees in my department to make sure there is open communication regarding the rules and what managers would like to see different or the same in the department. Managers are very respectable and are willing to help you if you ask. The hardest part of the job is when it is busy keeping up with customers and making sure that they are happy. Some are very ignorant or rude so it is sometimes hard to still be nice. On the other hand the most enjoyable part of my job is talking to customers and getting that one on one interaction. I love seeing repeat customers come in and seek me out to continue helping them or telling me how their new stuff is working out.
Productive and fun work environment.
Full-time Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee), Leaside, ONJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.
productive fun good times
Sales Associate/ snow-sports specialists (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: snow-sports camps, fun games for morning huddles, redbull girls visitng us and giving us all free redbulls during christmas hours
Cons: long sparatic hours, unreliable hours due to last years sales shifted to that.
Everyday doing stock, keeping up with sales, talking to customers in an open ended manner, I constantly learn, doing research on my own and doing courses with in Sportchek that is required.
Management is awesome they treat you like family which I love you can be completely open with them. My co workers range from all sorts of different persons, all in all they are like family too.
Hardest part of my job is doing long hours going to bed late then waking up bright and early, but completely do able. Its apart of life especially at a young age! Most enjoyable part of my job is talking to customers and meeting new people, being able to talk to them about my personal experiences and hearing about theirs.
Learned a lot of new things
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2015
The best part is I made a lot of good friends. We are a new location and when we first opened it was a fun environment. Managers would sometimes give us basketball tickets. Discounts are awesome.

We got a new manager and things weren't fun anymore. Caught two managers gossiping about me and acting awkward. When I asked the manager what was going on and told him how I felt, he told me to have a sit down with all the managers. During the sit down he made it clear that he can not do anything about any tension at work and has to defend the managers since they are a team and that if the situation comes up again I could get written up. I have no idea what I would get written up for. I went from having 5 shifts a week to Zero. The work environment is very uncomfortable after the amount of disrespect shown. Definitely a job thats just a joke now. I show up just to make my money and leave. That is if I do get a shift.
Only took because desperate
hard goods (Former Employee), collingwoodJune 11, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: management, no hours, can't do anything without corporate permission
When starting this job I had to wait a month after my interview and job offer until I started because they wanted to wait till their fiscal year started.
With shifts randomly between 9am-10pm it was hard to get any family time. Having worked retail for 10 years prior I was brought in to be a regular associate with a starting rate of minimum wage and because I was desperate I accepted.
After watching the management of 30+ year old males hitting on the high school girls that worked there I spent most days counting down the clock.
Once I found another part time job with real pay I tried booking my regular scheduled days off with sport Chek but they kept booking me on those days and expected me to give up my well paying job or find someone to cover the day I booked off.
Fun and Enjoyable workplace
Clothing Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 24, 2012
Pros: was a fun place to work
Cons: not a lot of benifits
As a clothing associate at sportchek you would, make sure all the clothes are correctly hung, lined up and colour co-ordinated. Clean every inch of the store and help every customer as good as you possibly could. What I learned was that every customer wants something different and that its important to help them and not just to sell to them. Every customer is a valued customer. Computer skills, how to close cash, and open cash. Specific qualities and pros about different kind of material. Benifits of different shoes, and what they can or can't do for your feet. How to stock a back room. Managment was good, fair and fun to work with. Co-workers were helpful and tried their best as well. Hardest part of the job was setting up new product tables, when a lot of the time we didn't have a lot of the product, so I had to improvise. Most enjoyable, learning all the new things about certain types of clothing and shoes.
A day at Sportchek
Cashier (Current Employee), Promenade ThornhillJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Working with a fun staff
Cons: Our location is understaffed
A typical day at work consists of me being on cash dealing with various customers who either have an issue with their product or need some assistance finding the correct size/colour. After accommodating customers I cash them out and they go on their way. When not busy with customers I must security tag and hang or fold all merchandise that comes from the back stock room. I do price checks, write up defective items and clean the back cash counters religiously to avoid mess. I enjoy working retail and feel that I have learned how to deal with many different individuals. I understand that it is all about the customers experience when they first enter the store and therefore I continue to welcome each and everyone that enters with a simple hello.
SportChek
Soft Goods Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours.
I got the oppurtunity to work at SportChek as part of my school coop program. It was a great way for me to meet new people and gain some independence. I learned how to deal with many customers at the same time. I was incharge of 3 departments women's, men's and juniors clothing. I was able to balance every department and remeber every item in each area. The hardest part and also the part I enjoyed the most was helping a customer to find a product that best suits their need. I tried to understand them in a very short amount of time. To help them pick out what was best for them. I enjoyed that alot. I learned alot and I had alot of responsibilities which made me a hard worker. I love working with others and enjoy retail. I'm a people person and I love to try new oppurinities.
Productive and fun workplace with great co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJuly 28, 2014
A typical day working at Sportchek consists of interactions with a lot of new people, which for me was the greatest part of the job because you got to build a relationship with customers as you were assisting them with what they needed. My co-workers at Sportchek were great, everyone was friendly and dependable whenever something would come up and i needed shift covered (which is very rare). The hardest part of the job was helping out with the shipping portion because we would receive shipments of six or more skids and only have approximately five hours to clear them out. What i learned during my time at Sportchek was that friendly service and a positive attitude does in fact go a long way. I have had customers return and ask for me to assist them because they felt that the service was great and that i made the shopping experience enjoyable.
Headquarters