Sport Chek

Sport Chek Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive, fun work place.
VISUAL MERCHENDISER (Current Employee), Cobourg, ONJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Job security
Cons: Change overs
When I come into work I do a morning walk of the store to see what are some good selling opportunities for the day. I rework the store to make is visually appealing and to store standards. I make sure deadlines are made on time, and requirements are made. I work extremely well with the managers we always have a game plan and make sure we are all on the same page. The hardest part of my job is doing store change overs. The most enjoyable part of my job is always staying busy and I like change.
visual (Former Employee), calgaryJuly 27, 2015
It was a good environment. Full of different positions and experiences. Although the management was alittle hectic it was run decent.

Fun workplace for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJuly 21, 2015
Pros: fun place to work, lots of communication with people
Cons: salary
It is nice place to start as a student. It can teach you quite a bit about organization, improve your social and communication skills.
Learned a lot of new things
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2015
The best part is I made a lot of good friends. We are a new location and when we first opened it was a fun environment. Managers would sometimes give us basketball tickets. Discounts are awesome.

We got a new manager and things weren't fun anymore. Caught two managers gossiping about me and acting awkward. When I asked the manager what was going on and told him how I felt, he told me to have a sit down with all the managers. During the sit down he made it clear that he can not do anything about any tension at work and has to defend the managers since they are a team and that if the situation comes up again I could get written up. I have no idea what I would get written up for. I went from having 5 shifts a week to Zero. The work environment is very uncomfortable after the amount of disrespect shown. Definitely a job thats just a joke now. I show up just to make my money and leave. That is if I do get a shift.
Loved it
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), SurreyJuly 21, 2015
First real job. Loved it. Miss it. First real job. Loved it. Miss it. First real job. Loved it. Miss it. First real job. Loved it. Miss it. First real job. Loved it. Miss it. First real job. Loved it. Miss it. First real job. Loved it. Miss it.
One of the best places to work.
Hard goods sales associate (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 19, 2015
Sportcheck is an amazing company to work for. There is nothing but benefits to working their. The culture is amazing an promotes healthily active lifestyles for all. The company really gives back to the employees as well.
Fun place to work with flexible management
Hard goods sales associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Great discount
Cons: low pay
Sportchek is a pretty fun place to work. Most people that work there have a team oriented mindset. Everyone tries to help out even if its not within their departments. The management is very flexible and tries to accommodate schedules to the best of their abilities. The only thing that could be better is the pay, pretty close to minimum wage.
A day at Sportchek
Cashier (Current Employee), Promenade ThornhillJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Working with a fun staff
Cons: Our location is understaffed
A typical day at work consists of me being on cash dealing with various customers who either have an issue with their product or need some assistance finding the correct size/colour. After accommodating customers I cash them out and they go on their way. When not busy with customers I must security tag and hang or fold all merchandise that comes from the back stock room. I do price checks, write up defective items and clean the back cash counters religiously to avoid mess. I enjoy working retail and feel that I have learned how to deal with many different individuals. I understand that it is all about the customers experience when they first enter the store and therefore I continue to welcome each and everyone that enters with a simple hello.
Great managers lead to enjoyable times
Hard Goods Associate (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 20, 2015
Pros: Great discount, exciting product to be around/deal with
Cons: old location; overstock rooms small, impractical store layout
The overall time spent at sport Sportchek was enjoyable. A healthy work environment is a personally sought after thing at a job and at this location, they definitely have that. The General Manager, has been a pleasure to work for to say the least and his managerial skills mixed with his personality make him inspiring to work for.

The job is straight forward, a fairly typical retail job, you just get to be around and talk about sporting goods, clothing and footwear. Typical day would be stocking/organizing clothing or any other goods that are sold and assisting customers with their purchases.
Using workers like they are disposable
Part Time Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee), Courtenay, BCJune 17, 2015
Pros: decent discount
Cons: long hours, uncomfortable management, few breaks, poor attitude, impossibly high expectations
Typically, a day at work involved trying to meet enormous sales quotas and being chastised when they wern't obtained. Usually, there was a lot of tidying to do, and the environment was very fast paced. Occasionally, I had to work on very busy days (boxing day) on my own, as a new employee. Talk about overwhelming. As much as they might like to think they embrace safety at work, it was often ignored. No gloves/personal safety equipment was giving when employee were required to clean the bathrooms (including the toilet, inside and out.) The bunks at the back that the shoe are held in, with many levels, – more... about 12 ft high, were commonly climbed on. It was easy to fall and twist your ankle, or get squished between the bunks. But you /needed/ to make money, so money before safety. Management was innapropriate. Uncomfortable touching, bad-mouthing other employees (calling them drug addicts, saying they're stupid) infront of customers or co-workers. Bad communication. Not understanding. Required to go 5 hours without so much as a 15 minutes break. Once, when I was sick (puking, diarrhea) they required me to work 6.5 hours alone, and didn't give me a break, even when I requested it. I was told someone was being called in to take my shift and I needed to 'tough it out'. Just ignore labour laws, right? Co workers were okay. Some homophobia and sexism. Interesting that a store based on finding your personal level of fitness has employees that commonly fat-bash women, and call womens sports bad things. Morning 'team cleans' that were meant to build team spirit made me feel more and more unliked, and uncomfortable. Most training is done online, and some of the mandatory quizzes ended up having incorrect answers, so they were hard to pass. I barely had time to do the online training, since I wasn't allowed off the floor, and was kept after my shift to complete them. The most enjoyable part was working with the kids, because they were always understanding, and their parents were usually okay with me. Dealing with rude customers was the hardest part, especially when I was working alone. Having to go to the back of the store and locate 15 different pairs of shoes at once was not fun. One of the managers refused to help out in footwear because he "didnt know anything about shoes." My hours fluctuated from 3 a week, to 20 a week, erratically. – less
Only took because desperate
hard goods (Former Employee), collingwoodJune 11, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: management, no hours, can't do anything without corporate permission
When starting this job I had to wait a month after my interview and job offer until I started because they wanted to wait till their fiscal year started.
With shifts randomly between 9am-10pm it was hard to get any family time. Having worked retail for 10 years prior I was brought in to be a regular associate with a starting rate of minimum wage and because I was desperate I accepted.
After watching the management of 30+ year old males hitting on the high school girls that worked there I spent most days counting down the clock.
Once I found another part time job with real pay I tried booking my regular scheduled days off with sport Chek but they kept booking me on those days and expected me to give up my well paying job or find someone to cover the day I booked off.
Fun Store
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJune 8, 2015
Pros: Great discount
Cons: crazy customers
Sportchek was a fun store to work at. All the employees at the time I was employed there worked well and had fun together. We would have many outside work team building meetings, functions and dinners. Sportchek offers an amazing discount to its staff as well.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 2, 2015
Pros: Great work environment
Cons: Not enough hours available
A typical day at work for me depends on which department I am scheduled in. I am trained in footwear, clothing and on cash. All of the departments have daily tasks to be completed. As well as assisting customers. My co-workers are like a second family we all get along and work well together. Management team is strong and helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help in more than one department when needed as back up and having the knowledge.
An Amazing Place To Work
Construction (Current Employee), CalgaryJune 1, 2015
FGL sports is a incredible company to work for. The culture is very unique and they have a great work/life balance. The management teams are incredibly strong and knowledgeable.
Good benefits and a flexible working schedule
CASHIER (Former Employee), London ONMay 29, 2015
The management staff are somewhat absent minded in regards to common sense, and some lacked skills necessary of working with minimum wage emloyees.
Great people to work with, mostly
Manager of Footwear Dept (Current Employee), VancouverMay 25, 2015
Pros: great Discounts
Cons: very low pay for all the work i do
Organizing staff/duties
setting up for following ads

most enjoyable part of the job working and chatting with great customers and knowing you helped with their transition.
Love it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONMay 11, 2015
Pros: Discount, good hours, flexible schedule.
I have been working at Sport Chek for a few months now and I love it. Management is amazing, they will do whatever it takes to help you. The training is long but teaches you everything you will need to know and more.
Awesome sport store
Sales Associate in Footwear (Former Employee), TimminsMay 9, 2015
Pros: great discount, great staff
Cons: no hours, lots of paperwork
Great workplace, very quiet, great staff and loved the discount, it was fun to work with awesome people getting to know the knowledge of shoes and different types.
Very friendly place
Footwear Associate (Current Employee), Orillia, ONMay 6, 2015
Working at sportchek is a great experience. Not only am i learning new things everyday but it helps the way i help customers. My job isn't very labour intensive unless it gets real busy. Most downtime is spent cleaning and organizing. There isn't one person who works there that i don't like or don't get along with. The hardest part is definitely when I'm the only person working and there's tons of people in my department, although people from other departments always help out.
Good atmosphere, very positive
Hard goods Sales Associate (Current Employee), OntarioApril 25, 2015
Great job people wise, Love the environment. Management is good, fairly strict though.

Very hard to get hours there.
longest shifts given for me are 5 hours with no break.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sport Chek

Sport Chek is one of the largest Canadian retailer of sporting clothing, sports equipment, with stores across Canada (excluding – Read more

Sport Chek Photos