Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Often a productive and fun workplace.
Part-time Sales Associate - Hard goods Department (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC23 April 2017
I enjoy working for Sportchek. Most of the people are understanding and willing to work with you rather then against you. You just have to be open-minded and remember to prioritize.
Productive and fun experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 April 2017
I learned a lot of communication skills by interacting with customers. I enjoyed helping people. It's a fun place to work with friends and you meet a lot of great people
Fun when you get hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
I love working at Sport Chek, however they hire way too many people at a time and then the employees end up getting next to no hours. I have been working here for 7 months and I still only get 4 hours or less a week.
Pros
Happy to train you in other departments other than your own.
Cons
Not enough hours to go around between employees
Great place to work, but...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
I started back in 2011, but before that I did coop there. That's how I got the job. During the first couple of years wasn't so bad. You did your training, but after training was done, you get sent straight to the floor and hope for the best, when it came to product knowledge and selling. They didn't train you properly at first and you had to go out of your way to find out about the products you sold. If you didn't sell enough, your shifts were cut down without notice. Management was pretty awesome at first. A lot of the employees are amazing there - they didn't come straight out of high school, with exceptions of the occasional high schooler here and there, but most were college-university students and you get a long with them pretty well. Even made some amazing friends throughout the 4 years there.

A couple years after 2011, they change their whole experience when it came to training and customer service. Training was more in-depth and you focused more on what the customer really needed. Certain days can be really hectic when it came to sales and the amount of traffic we got - can be fast-paced environment at times, then other times, can be slow-paced (you'll mostly maintain your sections when it slows down). Some times when your helping customers, you end up chatting with them about other things that has nothing to do with why they were there. Some times they even come back looking for you.

As years passed, noticed management comes and goes, some good and some just plain terrible. Makes you wonder how they became managers. During my first year there, we got to play
  more... games after closing and the managers at the time were really amazing, but when years passed on, we got less of that cause of management changes. Depending what managers you worked with, some will play "favourites" - some even got a promotion after working only 4 months there while others who have worked there for 10 years, still didn't. Some management/full-timers like to micromanage, while slack off and socialize with other employees. If they see you socialize for, less than 5 minutes, they tell you to split off, while they go back right to socializing with other employees.

If you wanted a promotion it all came down to the store manager. The department sales manager may like you, but if the general store manager doesn't, you're out of luck. And as years go on, it seems they don't recognize hard-workers and would rather promote someone, who sucks up and play "teachers pet".

You do get yearly reviews, and through those reviews, they figure out where your strengths and weaknesses are. Some managers even motivate you and encourage you to become better. Even if it isn't through yearly reviews, they still encourage you throughout your time there. If you wanted to work your way up, some managers would even help you. Some managers do recognize your hard work and contribution to the company and are aware of other terrible managers/full-timers.

The discounts are amazing there. Not only is it with Sport Chek, you get more discounts at Atmosphere and an online website that showcases different brands! Professional athletes even sometimes come through your store or even people from TV shows. The hours are pretty flexible. If you're a student or have another job, they accommodate very well. And if you live further from a Sport Chek location, they usually could transfer you to a closer one. They could even transfer you to Atmosphere (or some of there other banners) if you wanted - that's what I did and left Sport Chek back in 2015 for Atmosphere. Management got bad over the years and some good ones were transferred as head office needed them at other locations.

If you're looking to make your way up in this company, good luck as a lot of the higher-ups plays favourites. There isn't any job security as part-timers.
Pros
Awesome discounts, some managers were amazing, great coworkers, Atmosphere is great depending on management
Cons
Some management micromanages, favouritism
great place to work
Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 April 2017
I have been working here part time while I attend school, my managers are all very nice they are flexible with hours and is overall a fun environment to work at
Good employee discounts.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON15 April 2017
Poor hours and understaffed 90% of the time unless you're working at yorkdale. Sometimes you will be left alone to run a whole section by yourself. No commission for footwear.
Flexible, Part-time, Fun Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB11 April 2017
Management needs to be more strict in some areas. employees are lazy with no incentive. It is definitely a job for uneducated, current students for part time employment.
Fun with good people and good leaders . Co workers got a long and worked together . Pay was a little low for day time employees for the work done did
Sales Associate/ shop tech (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 April 2017
A fun workplace with active co workers who helped and worked with each other through problems . Leadership was good most of the the time . Pay was ok for some kids , but commission would really boost some people's desire as well as reward those who worked hard
Pros
Fun place
Cons
Pay
Amazing Staff
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON5 April 2017
Out of all the places in retail that I have worked, This is hands down the place I felt at home and loved my job. The people I worked with were just amazing and I couldn't have asked for a better manager..
Great staff and Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 April 2017
You learn a lot about the products you will be selling before you get to the floor so you aren't stumped by questions your first few shifts. Staff are very welcoming to new staff and you pick up a lot of knowledge from talking to them and customers. Their main focus is customer service, so you could spend a whole shift chatting with customers.
Pros
opportunity for pay increase every year
Cons
occasional issues with scheduling
Fun place but a bit harsh at times
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 April 2017
A typical day at work included clocking in, getting a walkie talkie for communication between the stockroom and the floor, and gong to your designated area. Usually, I would be put in either Mens running, Casual or Basketball footwear. There i would have the most fun just meeting and talking to customers naturally, just out of pure enjoyment. The toughest part of the job was the unorganized communication between The runners upstairs and the sales associates on the main floor. The store was too big and most of the shoes were stocked upstairs where it would sometimes take 10 -15 minutes for a customer to try on a shoe.
Pros
good Disounts
Cons
Short breaks
healthy active living
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE30 March 2017
Sportchek was an amazing company to work for. Bonus structure and store discount are very generous. Management was ok some better than others. Went into work with a smile everyday and left the same way.
Pros
employee bonus
Great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 March 2017
There are so many different things that Sport Chek has to offer. Plenty of different customers come in everyday for a new experience. Everyone seems so friendly.
Comfortable and fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2017
Most employees are very friendly! Easy to get along with and helpful managers. The employee discount is very nice, and they're very helpful with working around my schedule.
Fantastic employees, management not as much.
Clothing Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2017
If you're thinking about applying at sportchek, just don't waist your time with it. I have worked there for almost 2 years & I still am constantly not getting hours because there "isn't any". This has been an ongoing issue for months. There is quite a bit of pettyness among management, overall I have seen fantastic employees get treated not very fairly & they all end up finding a new job because there isn't any balance. Some weeks you can get scheduled not at all & other weeks people are working full time hours with not full time pay/ benefits. I feel like I'm competing against my fellow employees for hours which isn't right. They say we are suppose to be a team but it feels very one sided. Another thing is that quite annoying is when you see employees working harder then the managers. I'm my opinion if you're a manager you should be on the floor helping customers out just as much as everyone else is. Not sitting in the back doing jack all, all day? Not fair. People start to notice too & then that just causes issues of its own. I've learned a few things from working here
1) if someone hires you & they already seem disorganized with whatever it may be, don't take the job. If it starts early in the hiring process the chance of it continuing in indefinite.
2)don't let people take advantage for you, especially in retail.
3)obviously if you have an issue with someone talk about it with them directly, if nothing changes go higher up.
I could go on & on, hope this review was helpful.
Pros
Fun environment, nice employees
Cons
Too many employees not enough hours, (yet they still hire more), poor management
Cashier
-Huge store
-Great inventory stock
-great employee discount
-Manageable hours
Pros
Emplyee Discount
Cons
Hours can be better
Productive and fun work place
SALES ASSOCIATE-FOOTWEAR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
Very productive work place, was able to learn everything efficiently and was able to elevate my customer service skills. Also gained new tactics and skills on how to handle customers and how to approach in a positive way.
Over worked
Manager (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON16 March 2017
For the salary a lot is expected from a person. Quite often minimal direction is given. Unrealistic expectations are set for completing tasks. Sometimes very frustrating place to work
Pros
training camps
Cons
Store manager has minimal follow up and training for managers
Fun workplace with good discount
Hard Goods Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2017
If you aren't going to use the discount and buy a lot of items from Sportchek I'd suggest finding a retail store that pays more starting wage (you start at minimum and rarely see an increase). I got a 40 cent raise after a year, and my sales were above average. The discount is what really counts, as you can save a lot of money. It's a fun workplace that is very welcoming, definitely a positive experience that I will take forward with me.
In cold lake the clothing manager sucks
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB11 March 2017
Cold lake clothing manager is beyond rude and terrible to work with. Not worth it.
She does not do more then she needs to. She needs to be fired and someone who actually wants to be there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.