Sport Chek Employee Reviews

not fun to work experience at sport chek
Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 25, 2016
Basically everyday you don't do anything other than organizing shoe sizes all day and your stuck in the back until your done
Pros
breaks
Cons
Long hours, not fun for work experience
Productive work place
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 22, 2016
Same thing everyday, pretty repetitive.
Learned a lot more for management.
Co-workers are fantastic.
Hardest part of the job would be the constant management changes, and dealing with rude customers.
Best part of the job would be the discount and the good customers.
Productive work environment
Service Technican - Hardgoods sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONSeptember 21, 2016
- Very productive and busy days, processing sale item's and mechanically fixing sports equipment.
- Gained product knowledge through out each department. Certified with ski/snowboard companies within the service shop.
- Great staff to work with.
- Easy and enjoyable work.
Enjoyable and fun workplace
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 21, 2016
A typical day at work is a casual flow of customers who need questions to be answered. I have learned how to properly communicate with customers and to sell merchendise exceedingly. Managment and co-workers are well behaved and very responsible. Hardest part of the job is to keep up with the pace of multiple customers in one time frame. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you successfully provided the amount of information needed to complete the sell with the customer.
overall not a positive experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSSeptember 19, 2016
I was hired as a clothing associate and was thrown on the floor with no retail experience (which they knew upon hire) within 2 days and expected to answer customer questions without having to ask my own. The people that have been there for years are very cliquey and don't really offer much assistance. Was told I would get 25-32 hours a week which turned out to be 15 or less some times, so not a job you can depend on for an income. Was also told I would be cross trained on cash but that never happened and when I questioned it every manager brushed it off or never really "had time" to answer it. Overall you get the swing of things pretty quickly, refolding clothes over and over, security tagging things excessively and that's about the extent of your workload.
Pros
Discount on clothing/sporting goods
Cons
Bad hours, poor management, no chance of expanding or growing within the company
Fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 17, 2016
Working at sport chek is like working with your family everyone works as a team to reach budget. Management can be strict but are understanding. Meeting people who are passionate about sports is probably the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
discount
Cons
Only half hour breaks
Fun work environment
Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCSeptember 14, 2016
Was friends with everyone you work with. Very outgoing atmosphere. Everyone was treated like family.
Management was great, could talk to them about anything and everything.
The discount was amazing, and was definitely a huge perk.
Encouraging Canadians to live healthy active lifestyles
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 8, 2016
- Typical Day: clean/maintain Sport Chek's standards of displays and back rooms
- Learned: how to improve your activities with proper shoes
- Management: well organized, put together, great communication
- Co-workers: hard workers, great energy
- Hardest part: not being able to give complete attention to customers during the busier times
- Most enjoyable part: connecting with customers
Pros
Get to be around the latest shoes
Cons
Far distance to travel
fun workplace environment
Hardgoods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 7, 2016
Great team of part time stuff, met a lot of really nice people, some who I am glad to call friends. This helps make the work environment a fun and positive place.
Pros
ability to change own availability on schedule as it changes.
Cons
unpaid lunches
Productive and a fun place to work, with lots of opportunity to move up
Clothing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCSeptember 3, 2016
I enjoyed my ten years there, I was able to move up fast. I like being in a management role I found it challenging. Sport chek had great benefits , and comparable pay to other companies.
Easy work, fun first job
Part-time Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABSeptember 1, 2016
This was my first job, as I started when I was 7. I enjoyed walking through my neighbourhood and simply delivering flyers to the people who lived around me.
Depends on the Manager you have
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONAugust 30, 2016
Sport Chek is a great store, and they definitely have awesome people to work with. It can get boring when it's a slow day but you're always on your feet. Management can be forgetful, make you wait long amounts of time for certain things that do rely on quick answers.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Balzac, ABAugust 27, 2016
working at sport check is a fun workplace environment within its limits sometimes the workplace can get a little bit stressed with just simply people not knowing what to when times gets busy and overran by customers.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
stressful at times
Flexible hours, Great management, and a good work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of completing many tasks while also staying available to the customers demands and needs. these various tasks include re-stocking product on display, general maintenance of the department and a selection of nightly assigned cleaning duties such as sweeping and or changing the garbage's in the department
Pros
flexible hours, stress free environment
good for part time after school job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 23, 2016
Sportchek is a good store to work for. The discount is great and i have made many friends but the management is not understanding and appreciative of staff members. its very hard to move up in the company and don't even try to call in sick because they will tell you to get your shift covered or you are coming in throwing up or not.
Pros
discount is great, i made a lot of friends
Cons
forced to work when sick, no appreciation for staff, pay raise is only 10 cents every year, only one half hour break in an 8 hour shi
Nice job
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCAugust 22, 2016
I enjoyed working over there all my co-workers were so passionate about sports which made the experience even better but over all the place was super nice
Pros
Passion for sports
Cons
Short hours
Nice people with a welcoming and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work for me is standing behind a desk, tidying up, and helping customers with their purchases. Ive learned more about sports than anything, but I've also gained great communication skills with not only customers but the people I work with. The best part about my job is when the customer leaves in a great mood and are satisfied with their purchase.
Pros
Our discounts
Cons
slow days
Good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 31, 2016
Good work place. Sometimes tough. Have to give great customer service. Good discounts. Manangers can be really tough, but they are mostly easy going.
Sport chek
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 20, 2016
Great place to work for they have the best discount for any company that i know of. Management could be a bit more consistent but what can you do
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 13, 2016
Help customers get sized up for shoes, open up fitting rooms, give people knowledge about our products and our return/exchange policy.
Learned about shoes and the different types, learned about clothing and the different material each is used for, learned how to properly size for shoes and learning about all the products you have to deal with.
Co-workers make the workplace enjoyable.