Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun Environment with great co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), London, ONMay 3, 2016
By working at SportChek I have been able to grow with time management, and my social skills and my knowledge in the footwear department. The staff there is more than entertaining and as collective group, we try to provide every costumer with the "Complete Experience"
Enjoyable work environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 20, 2016
Pros: Great people to work with
I was working there for work experience during high school and enjoyed working there for the most part. I was there for two terms lasting 2 weeks per term. Great environment to work in with good management and co-workers.
Motivational when it comes to health and fitness
Cashier & Sales (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Employee discount
Cons: Not enough hours
Sportchek is a job that provides a positive and enjoyable atmosphere as it promotes the importance of health and fitness. As somebody who has a passion for athletics, I enjoy working there. I've learned a lot when it comes to customer service and the importance of providing 10/10 service to every body that walks into our store. Our managers do their best to make our shifts as enjoyable as possible and they work hard in assuring that both their employees and customers are happy. There isn't really a hard part about working in Sportchek, however, the lack of hours available is sometimes frustrating. The most enjoyable part is probably the discount, especially if you're an employee that is also an Athlete.
Not Enough Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Huntsville, ONApril 19, 2016
Advertise for help, but fail to say that they can't guarantee hours.
I applied and was told 9-20hrs a week.
Who can live off that?
You want a revolving door of staff keep it up!
Fun and engaging environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 16, 2016
really fun place to work and even better people to work with. management was great and it was a great experience to learn customer service
Just putting me through my school
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 14, 2016
Pros: Good Discount
Cons: Management
- Management is not professional. Managers favor certain workers and put others down
- The entire atmosphere is depressing (I've worked at 2 stores and they're the same)
- The job becomes very repetitive
- The pay is average
- Good amount of hours given
Lots of fun and able to sell in your own creative way
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 11, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Sometimes boring days
Sportchek allowed me to be my own salesman. Although they had a process I was their best salesman. Because of my results they allowed me to sell the way I wanted to and it only made the company better.
Standard Retail Job
Technician (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONApril 9, 2016
Relatively standard retail job. It all depends on the store leadership, and it can either be a rewarding or tedious job.
Fun place to work with like minded people
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
Limited room for advancement
Manager likes to hold onto skilled employees and will block them from leaving to other positions
Excellent Discount program and work culture
Been employed for over 9 years and have never received a raise
It's fun if you got a great group of people
Apparel Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
Pros: discount
Cons: boring shifts
A typical day in softgoods can get boring but with great staff the time goes by really quick. The tasks are not that mentally and physically demanding and so it's a rather easy going work environment. The management team at my location is probably one of the best in the province they do great job of maintaining a respectful yet casual and fun atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would probably be maintenance of the store and meeting standards but with on going practice and team effort its always achievable.
Horrible management
Manager (Former Employee), SaskatchewanMarch 23, 2016
Pros: Discount
Cons: Low pay
If your not part of the crowd they will set you up to fail. Store managers like to talk behind employees backs and will starve them out in stead of training them properly
High Energy with Great Customers
F/T (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 19, 2016
Pros: Great co workers and products
Cons: low pay, lots of duties
Sportchek is a fun place to work if you have a love for a healthy and active lifestyle. The training on products is very well done, and once you learn about the products, it really makes you wonder why you ever shopped elsewhere.

The only issues I had were with certain unqualified management members, and the hourly wage wasn't enough in comparison to work required when I started receiving more responsibilities.

I really enjoyed the conversations with customers about what kinds of things they were getting into, or were already passionate about. It's interesting to see that there is so much going on even in our little communities.

Canadian Tire/ Sportchek donates very generously to Jumpstart which helps get kids into sports, and being a part of a company that makes a difference in my community is great!
My first experiences
Janitor (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Free lunch, learning new experiences, and interacting with other people
Cons: Long hours, usually if i showed up late, I would have lunch late
Typical days at work with my work experiences were usually busy or half busy. I learned to clean the floors, make goody bags, and stock shelves. Never had to be a manager. They were the best co-workers out there and were really to learn how teach me new experiences for when i get a real job. The hardest part of the job was waking up two hours early and going out to the work place before 8AM. Lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job.
great customers and coworkers
Hardgoods Sales associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 17, 2016
Pros: great discount (but theres a limit)
management not the best.
quit due to sexist comments made by the general manager
not given breaks until OVER 5 hours.
it can be super slow and boring just like any retail job.
Productive and friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 6, 2016
Everyone part of the sport chek community provides a friendly and professional environment. All of the management team as well as the employees make me look forward to going into work ever
Dynamic workplace requiring technical knowledge and excellent customer relation skills within the sporting good and active lifestyl worlds.
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
Pros: Training and development with the sporting world
Cons: Lag in responsiveness from head office due to a corporate approach
I was the department manager for the sporting goods section, tasked with training and developing a team of over 20 sales staff, ensuring inventory integrity, dealing with technical customer relation experiences, merchandising, and other requirements that occur in a fast-passed work environment. I had the opportunity to create an immediate direct positive influence in all of my customers sporting and personal lives, which provided me with the unique experience of developing a substantial return customer basis, and allowed me to provide an elite level of technical knowledge and experience for each and every customer. I have also had the unique opportunity of aiding in various volunteer events, facilitating underprivileged youth with sporting equipment, and a means to stay healthy and active.
Flexible schedules and good discount
Cashier/Clothing Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 21, 2016
My time at Sportchek has been enjoyable. For the most part management is very good and also very flexible with scheduling. The discount is also a great bonus.
organized and fun
Hard Goods Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Sport Chek was very cohesive so everybody understood their role in the company and day to day duties. It was a nice friendly environment.
Scarce Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Not enough hours. Favoritism a large factor in getting hours. Full time very difficult to come by. Was eligible for raise but never given one with constantly changing management. No stability.
Fun and Productive work day
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day of work involves engaging customers and providing them with a full customer service experience.I greet customers while helping them find what they came into the store for and providing them with the knowledge they need in order to live a healthy and active lifestyle.
Headquarters