Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Chill Place to Work At
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2018
Very friendly and open environment. Everyone is really chill, even the manager. As long as you're doing work, you should be okay. You can work as many hours as you want.. They're pretty flexible.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Nothing really..
Terribly managed workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 January 2018
staff is nice and friendly but management is brutal. micro managing at its finest and yelling is quite frequent. job is boring and the manager has terrible communication to employees or assistant managers.
Good Benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2018
They are always willing to work around your schedule however they require certain amount of hours per week. They expect you to know a lot and remember the minimum amount of training they give you. They do support you when a customer is aggressive towards you.
Was Only Seasonal
Stock Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
Everyone there was great to work for and work with but I don't know about the benefits because I was only temp.

My job was in the stock room for Christmas, opening shipments and sorting them for the next step. The people in the back were great and the work was easy to do but not easy on my body. It would be a great job for someone who is young and fit enough to reach boxes down and carry them around.
Pros
Friendly people, involved manager, they are a member of a huge 'family' of other stores
Cons
I don't really know because I was only seasonal
good company with good staff
Dept. Manager/Shipping (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON15 January 2018
great culture in store and in the company. unique retail enviroment with good training initiatives for product knowledge. experience is different from store to store
Pros
vendor discounts
Cons
high turnover
Overall good for a first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 January 2018
A typical day at work was either busy or slow, and lots of different people came into the store. I learned time management and teamwork skills with the staff at Sport Chek. The management was fairly decent as they introduced a new online program to assist with scheduling. The workplace culture was very fun and I got to work with a lot of interesting people.
Non professional.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER / DIVISIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC10 January 2018
Poorly managed, very unprofessional. Hours were all over the place and days off were rarely together. Pay was poor for managers and benefits minimal.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay
Awesome Discount
Cashier, inventory (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 January 2018
Everyone that I worked with there was really nice and helpful when it came to teaching you how to do things and how things worked. The employee discount was also amazing and really is what made the job worth it.
Good for Part-Time
Sales Associate (Full-Time Team Lead) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2018
Full - time requires more work than you get paid for depending on location. SQ1 was a fantastic location and i did feel valued. Unfortunately it was too far for me to commute once I moved. Job quality is highly location dependant.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Understaffed at times.
I gained excellent customer service experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge29 December 2017
I enjoyed working at Sport Chek. The hours were not great as they have so many part time employees, but they were good to work around my school schedule.
Sport check
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 December 2017
helping customers out or putting new items out on the floor, i learned how to gain my communication skills, the management team was amazing due to the fact they would always be there to help, the hardest part of the job was restocking some shifts due to many tacos coming in for seasonal wear, the most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team because the whole team for sportchek was great
Pros
50% off clothes
Cons
restocking when stock comes in
Great coworkers, management issues
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 December 2017
Managers are rarely on the same page. Great work environment with people around the same age working. The job itself is simple with decent training before you start. The discount is cost of the item plus 10%, but is capped at $2000 for part time, $4000 for full time.
Pros
Discount, flexible hours
Cons
Not a lot of hours available, management issues
Productive workplace with caring management team.
Softgoods/Footwear Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON6 December 2017
This particular location had a management team that cared about their employees well-being. They were often able to schedule hours based on employee availability, which can be quite challenging in retail. Although, due to restrictions from upper management, we were often understaffed.

The salary for management positions did not equal the amount of work that needed to be done. Often given tight deadlines for projects, which made finishing these projects more difficult due to understaffing.

They job was often very easy going, and employees were easy to get along with. During customer rushes, we often all worked together, rather than letting each other fend for ourselves.

The hardest part of the job was most definitely getting projects from upper management done in the time frame they wanted it done.

The best part of the job, in all honesty, were my coworkers. They were often conscientious to what the customers needed, and were usually willing to go above and beyond to help.
Pros
Intelligent employees, great management team, workable scheduling
Cons
Long hours, lower than average pay, short time frames to get work done
Productive and fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 December 2017
A typical day at work involves dealing with customers through giving great customer service. I learned a lot about customer service and how to work well with others as well on my own. I've also acquired the skill of being a fast learner as systems and policies change and how to handle them.
Fun place to work. Good co workers
Sports Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 December 2017
If you like sports this is a great place to be. Your surrounded by all types of sports, there for you meet all types of people that like what you like sports wise and get into great conversations
Pros
sports all day
Cons
Rate of pay
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 December 2017
The typical day at work was great. You were able to talk to a lot of customers and learn tons of stuff about all the equipment and clothing features. The entire staff was friendly and inviting.
Excellent team workplace.
Clothing, Footwear and Technology Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON22 November 2017
Sportchek is a great place to work at. You start your shift by clocking in, and either checking in with your full-timer or manager, whoever is present, on the tasks that you have to complete for the day. For example, in footwear, the ad signs might have to come down at night and new ones must go up, or stock must be put away either during your shift if there is coverage of staff on the floor, or done at night. The management at Sportchek is amazing. They understand that you might have other priorities that come up, and they are willing to change your shift at the last second if needed. The workplace culture is a very upbeat, social place. It is definitely a team environment where everyone interacts with each other. Morale is high at SportChek. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with all the different customers and hearing their stories, or just sharing a quick laugh with them.
Slightly boring, attracts fake people.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON17 November 2017
People working at Sportchek are fake. I wish they'd consider holding a trustful work-relationship, for some reason this kind of fitness retail just seemed to attract stuck up fake people.
Pros
Great discount.
Cons
The job tends to attract fake, stuck up, early-20s university dropouts.
Co op job
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON11 November 2017
Good management
learned alot from the supervisors
the culture was good
many faces and not too many issues
no complaints about the work
pretty basic...
Freaking love this place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 November 2017
I could go forever on how wonderful management was at the Newmarket Sport Chek. You put in the effort and you will catch the attention of your superiors in a great way! I loved my bosses they were respectful and kind. You respected them but you also could joke with them. I miss working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.