Sport Chek Employee Reviews in Canada

Sportchek Hardgoods Associate
Floor Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
Typical Retail Job, the management are generally low quality and turn-over quickly, making the job more difficult,
This job is more suited for students
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Low Quality management
Excellent place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONMay 17, 2016
Great place to work. The pay is in line with any other retail job. They are extremely flexible to life/other jobs, and the best management team I have ever worked for. Highly recommend this job to someone who want to work in retail.
Pros
great discount
Cons
not many full time positions
Productive and amazing work environment.
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 14, 2016
The time I spent working here was AMAZING! I started off as a volunteer worker for High School credits and was eventually called back in to join a great staff of team by the store manager as a seasonal staff member.
Productive and fun workplace indeed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
I think this place was fun and exciting. Each work day was filled with surprise and welcoming challenges. The managers here, did their best to positively engage each employee with duties that suit their personalities and interests, as well as drilling product knowledge, in every opportunity. As a result every employee was well educated in the product, enough to be comfortable with every customer when recommending the product. The hard-work of the manager led the store to gain the first position out of all its competitors i the district.
Pros
Excellent work ethic
Cons
Pressure
Fun work place
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Great Atmosphere, good people, great team work, lots of knowledge about product. I have learnt a tremendous amount on how to deal with people and customer service issues.
Fun Environment with great co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 3, 2016
By working at SportChek I have been able to grow with time management, and my social skills and my knowledge in the footwear department. The staff there is more than entertaining and as collective group, we try to provide every costumer with the "Complete Experience"
Fun workplace
Clothing department (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBApril 30, 2016
Very casual employees with good managers. Every day on the job you learned something new about yourself and others. Everyone was very welcoming and understanding. Nothing about the job was all that hard it was just a matter of learning new skills, I loved being able to work in such a great place.
Pros
Flexible clothing
Safe, friendly, and educational place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 26, 2016
SportChek was an incredibly comfortable and enjoyable place to work. They successfully provided me with the skills and knowledge to be a successful sales associate. My managers were engaging and responsible and my coworkers were supportive and willing to assist me when necessary.
Enjoyable work environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 20, 2016
I was working there for work experience during high school and enjoyed working there for the most part. I was there for two terms lasting 2 weeks per term. Great environment to work in with good management and co-workers.
Pros
Great people to work with
Motivational when it comes to health and fitness
Cashier & Sales (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Sportchek is a job that provides a positive and enjoyable atmosphere as it promotes the importance of health and fitness. As somebody who has a passion for athletics, I enjoy working there. I've learned a lot when it comes to customer service and the importance of providing 10/10 service to every body that walks into our store. Our managers do their best to make our shifts as enjoyable as possible and they work hard in assuring that both their employees and customers are happy. There isn't really a hard part about working in Sportchek, however, the lack of hours available is sometimes frustrating. The most enjoyable part is probably the discount, especially if you're an employee that is also an Athlete.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Not Enough Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ONApril 19, 2016
Advertise for help, but fail to say that they can't guarantee hours.
I applied and was told 9-20hrs a week.
Who can live off that?
You want a revolving door of staff keep it up!
Fun and engaging environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 16, 2016
really fun place to work and even better people to work with. management was great and it was a great experience to learn customer service
Just putting me through my school
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 14, 2016
- Management is not professional. Managers favor certain workers and put others down
- The entire atmosphere is depressing (I've worked at 2 stores and they're the same)
- The job becomes very repetitive
- The pay is average
- Good amount of hours given
Pros
Good Discount
Cons
Lots of fun and able to sell in your own creative way
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 11, 2016
Sportchek allowed me to be my own salesman. Although they had a process I was their best salesman. Because of my results they allowed me to sell the way I wanted to and it only made the company better.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Sometimes boring days
Standard Retail Job
Technician (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONApril 9, 2016
Relatively standard retail job. It all depends on the store leadership, and it can either be a rewarding or tedious job.
Fun place to work with like minded people
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
Limited room for advancement
Manager likes to hold onto skilled employees and will block them from leaving to other positions
Excellent Discount program and work culture
Been employed for over 9 years and have never received a raise
It's fun if you got a great group of people
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
A typical day in softgoods can get boring but with great staff the time goes by really quick. The tasks are not that mentally and physically demanding and so it's a rather easy going work environment. The management team at my location is probably one of the best in the province they do great job of maintaining a respectful yet casual and fun atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would probably be maintenance of the store and meeting standards but with on going practice and team effort its always achievable.
Pros
discount
Cons
boring shifts
Horrible management
Manager (Former Employee) –  SaskatchewanMarch 23, 2016
If your not part of the crowd they will set you up to fail. Store managers like to talk behind employees backs and will starve them out in stead of training them properly
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
High Energy with Great Customers
F/T (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 19, 2016
Sportchek is a fun place to work if you have a love for a healthy and active lifestyle. The training on products is very well done, and once you learn about the products, it really makes you wonder why you ever shopped elsewhere.

The only issues I had were with certain unqualified management members, and the hourly wage wasn't enough in comparison to work required when I started receiving more responsibilities.

I really enjoyed the conversations with customers about what kinds of things they were getting into, or were already passionate about. It's interesting to see that there is so much going on even in our little communities.

Canadian Tire/ Sportchek donates very generously to Jumpstart which helps get kids into sports, and being a part of a company that makes a difference in my community is great!
Pros
Great co workers and products
Cons
low pay, lots of duties
My first experiences
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMarch 18, 2016
Typical days at work with my work experiences were usually busy or half busy. I learned to clean the floors, make goody bags, and stock shelves. Never had to be a manager. They were the best co-workers out there and were really to learn how teach me new experiences for when i get a real job. The hardest part of the job was waking up two hours early and going out to the work place before 8AM. Lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free lunch, learning new experiences, and interacting with other people
Cons
Long hours, usually if i showed up late, I would have lunch late