Aboriginal Engagement Project Coordinator
As our ideal candidate for this dynamic and rewarding role, your responsibilities will consist of the following tasks:
- Ability to build strong respectful relationships with Aboriginal-owned businesses &
- Ability to build productive relationships with clients customers within the resource &
energy industry sectors, educational institutions and local government.
- Superior interpersonal, and verbal communication, presentation and facilitator skills to
effectively manage internal stakeholders including (1) Canada Region executive and Customer
Sector Groups (CSG) leads, (2) Aboriginal Engagement subject matter experts, and (3)
functional groups from Pursuit through to project delivery.
- Subject matter acumen and skills to operationalize the Aboriginal Capacity Development
portfolio within the business framework, including planning, process, and
- Acts as liaison between local Aboriginal communities and project stakeholders and implement
execution strategies that align stakeholder benefits during the development and long term
operation of our clients’ investments.
- Participate in the development and delivery of Aboriginal Engagement project plans reporting
to the Manager, Aboriginal Engagement.
- Proactively create and maintain effective workflow and communications to accomplish the work
of the Aboriginal Engagement Team which includes the handling of a variety of projects and
- Provide strategic analysis, advice and recommendations on Aboriginal strategies, opportunities
and issues involving and its impacted communities.
- Advise on socioeconomic objectives and initiatives that provide direct and indirect benefits to
local communities through social investment, employment and contracting opportunities.
- Liaise with educational and training institutions to explore capacity-building initiatives for
community partners. Assist in the recruitment process for direct hires from the local and
- Interface with leaders and representatives to build strong relationships with communities that
include First Nations, Metis, various Aboriginal groups, municipalities and local community
Technical and Industry Experience
- Minimum 5 years progressive experience in applied Aboriginal Engagement work with a focus on (1) labour capacity building (assessments, capacity planning and deployment of skilled labour) within a project environment, and/or (2) assessment and qualification of Aboriginal-owned Procurement businesses.
- Familiarity and knowledge of Government of Canada and provincial guidelines for Aboriginal Consultation and Accommodation. Applied experience an asset.
- In-depth working knowledge and applied experience in Territorial and/or Provincial guidelines and policy frameworks especially for resource extraction (e.g. minerals and heavy oil).
- Experience on resource extraction (mineral and heavy oil) brownfield and greenfield projects in procurement, or skilled construction and maintenance trades will be considered an asset.
- Proven and progressive experience in business development and/or service delivery in project environments.
- A knowledge of Canadian Aboriginal groups, their locations, economic conditions and other social and cultural factors.
- Knowledge of project development as it relates to an Engineering, Procurement and Construction company.
- Working knowledge of Aboriginal cultural issues, communities and protocols is required, as is the ability to interpret related Federal and Provincial legislation.
Education – Qualifications, Accreditation, Training:
- Post-secondary education.
- Professional certifications in related disciplines (e.g. in Environmental Resource Management,
Business/Contract or Environmental Law. Construction Management, Project Management,
Occupational Health & Safety, Supply Chain Management, Business Planning and Operations)
will be considered an asset.
- An equivalent combination of work experience and education may be considered.
- Strong organizational and communication skills are required.
- Solid understanding of Microsoft office programs including PowerPoint.
- This position requires up to 50% travel and requires candidate to have and maintain a valid
driver's license and successfully complete a security clearance/criminal record check.
- Provide and demonstrate personal leadership in supporting a respectful workplace.
If this position would be of interest to you, apply today!