Spencer Technologies

Spencer Technologies Employee Reviews

Project Management prospective
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 13, 2016
Spencer Technologies has a lot of potential to be a great IT solutions company yet fails short to the competition due to poor upper management. Their is no processes or SOP in place to hold people accountable. It wouldn't matter anyways because the people 'in charge" gives in when the clients don't want to pay justifiable overages and money goes out the door. Then the employees are constantly being harped on that the company isn't meeting the forecasted goals. No matter what - we lose. Upper management is not willing to change or take advice to improve the company.

The project managers do whatever it takes to meet their customer needs but are never recognized by management.The project management team members are among the hardest working people in this company and are under paid and over worked. 60 + hour weeks are not uncommon although salaries are under national averages. Paid overtime is never approved and bonuses are never given.
There is little to no room for advancement.

There is high employee turnover because they are treated so poorly. The company loses really great PM's because they fail to recognize their dedication and hard work. The PM's will try to stick it out for the sake of their customers for as long as they can but end up getting fed up and burnt out and leave to work for companies who treat them with respect and dignity. If the company made internal changes and improved their standards, Spencer Technologies could be a great company and ultimately earn more business if they kept employees happy.
Pros
coworkers, learning experience, can work remotely
Cons
no morale, high hours and no paid overtime, low pay, poor management, no room for growth or advancement
very unorganized in hiring needs
technician scheduler (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAApril 27, 2016
Was very difficult to learn my everyday objective, was never given or assigned a supervisor to go to. Environment was so extremely tied down, no one individual had time for training me to my duties..
Pros
compensation, employees forthcoming
Cons
very disorganized, was hired for very short time frame
Satisafactory as a temporary job only.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  NorthboroughAugust 25, 2015
While working there I made it known several times that I was interested in a permanent position. One time the HR person indicated that she and my Manager considered me a valuable asset to the company and that they would work to get me a "great job" at Spencer. Right after that, the HR person leaves the company. Later my manager told me she was not being included in the hiring decisions. So I did not get a permanent job. However, my Manager was still a very good person to work for while I was on this project, and I don't fault her for the corporate culture where only a couple of high echelon individuals are the ones who do all the hiring. I was pretty much invisible to those people.
Pros
Good Manager to work for. Co-workers fun to work with.
Cons
Culture of non inclusion.
Great Starter Job - Not for Career minded individuals
Tech (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 11, 2015
This company is perfect for that college student who just needs income. This place is run by a mother and son who hold the 1st and 2nd in command here at the Memphis Depot. No coffee is provided, we run out of cups, paper towels and tissue on a regular. The sugar and creamer, cups and plates are locked up and only one person has the key.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Mother and Son management
Friendly enviroment
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAApril 16, 2016
I like to go to work. Co-workers are really friendly and help out when needed. Typical day at work, start the computer and start answering requests from customer, setting up ticket calls to dispatch technicians.
Productive Work Place
Recruiter Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MANovember 12, 2015
Great place to start your career but the best place to finish ultimately. I think it's best to explore bigger companies.
Pros
Great Work ethic
Cons
Very little room to move up
A job for a person who loves to travel.
IT/Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Southe Eastern, USFebruary 11, 2016
I enjoyed the workload, however it is a very travel oriented company. It has great clients worldwide. If you enjoy to travel constantly and have little home time this is a perfect company for you.
the worst company i ever worked for mom and son team and step brother
shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  memphis tnNovember 15, 2015
Pros
Cons
everything pay sucks to much butt kissing and backstabbing people
Fun and exciting learning environment
Data Communications Technician (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 17, 2015
I enjoy working in the telecommunications field. The different challenges you run into on a dally basis completing reparing and the customer interaction.
Good company to start working for as a newbie.
IT-Production Lab Admin-(Contractor) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2014
Poor leadership everyone wants to be a boss. No one has a permanent job everyday you are consider a contractor and when contract run out they let you go. No atmosphere for career advancement.
Pros
nice pay rate for new grad and good place to start.................
Cons
poor management and no room for future advancement
productive and fun
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 4, 2015
I have learned a lot working with Spencer as well as advancing some of the skills i had already gained knowledge for previously.
Hard Work at Spencer
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MASeptember 23, 2013
much the same as at Telaid, except through the eyes of a project manager. Very demanding work with large clients and large rollouts. Cumbersome database management of project work, lots of service work intermixed with project work.
Pros
lots of opportunity to succeed
Cons
no opportunity to advance, low pay for hard work and long hours
company was good learnign experiance
Data Cable Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2013
I thought this company was a good for a young apprentice trying to get into the industry.. Although I was not with this company very long, but through networking with other business that I met through this company I was able to move forward with another company.
Pros
lots of work good benifits and pay.
Cons
most of the work is done overnight
Privately owned equipment installation and repair company
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAMarch 29, 2015
Support Project and Service teams in fast paced environment supporting the retail industry. Great team of people striving to meet the business plan.
Pros
Affords many multi-tasking opportunities
Cons
Small company in a competitive market
No room for advancement, lack of care for family and life situations
Network Technician / (Field Engineer) (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAJune 2, 2015
Spencer Technologies offers great incentives at first, as far as company car, cell phone, gas card, and company credit card (hotels only). You are hired on as an employee, but still work off of a piece rate/hourly rate style of pay. A day will last 3 hours and they promise you will get 40 hrs a week. They cut your pay from 20 dollars an hour to 8.50 an hr when driving from site to site or state to state. You get your for 40 hrs a week but it is more like 20 @ 20 an hr for work, then...20 hours @ 8.50 an hr when driving. Where they fall off is their lack of leadership who have little to no experience in the field or telecom experience. S.T. hired field supervisors from Pizza Hut who were suppose to be SME in the field but knew very little. Co workers are great guys but GREATLY underpaid. They have us doing ground up installs, cut-overs, troubleshooting, IP configuring, commissioning, cable running, T-1 extensions, hardware upgrades, software upgrades, etc. We are under ONE job title but hidden under that are the 7 others job titles attached. I don't mind working like this, but pay me accordingly. The work is easy if you know what you are doing but the pay is HORRIBLE. You will spend 90% of your time on the road in hotels and the Project managers drop the ball on logistics and jobs constantly. You will never get this time back if you have a family or are family oriented. So, weigh your options...at what price does family, and your well being come before money to you. This job is an easy 50k to start off at because off the scope of work you will doing and yet they offer you to  more... start @ 32K.  less
Pros
laptop and cell phone
Cons
management, pay, broken promises, lack of integrity
great workplace
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 12, 2014
was a great work envirament because of job security can raddle your nerves for a family man such as me.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
job security
Learning experience
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 7, 2014
horrible management
Stressful job environment
no training was given
good co-workers
gained good knowledge
Pros
no pros
Cons
work load, scheduling problems. parking issues, no management
Very Productive and Relaxing work environment
Service Desk Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAJuly 3, 2014
A typical day at work consists of answering phones and processing tickets in an email format. My co-workers are all well down to earth. We get along very easily and help another out. The hardest part of the job is when short-staffed. We have a very high call volume with email requests and phones. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. Everyone in the department are very nice.
Pros
quartely lunches from the owner of the company. being recognize for excellence.
Cons
short staffed as we enter our busy season.
Easy to work for
Lead Tech (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MADecember 3, 2012
Company was easy to work for. Company had good benefits. Managers were very helpful and eager to help.
Pros
company vehicle, phone, computer
Cons
did not always get full week of work
Spencer has really good intentions
Director of Depot/Warehouse Operations (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 5, 2015
Spencer Tech is a fast paced environment to work in. The people are some of the best i have worked with, although at times, unorganized and demanding.

2.7