Spencer Technologies Employee Reviews

Challenging technology company
Software loading and configuration technician (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MA3 April 2017
Need to be able to work in a rapidly changing environment with rapidly changing priorities. Work is interesting and deals with technology associated with retail companies and their point of sales and payment systems.
Productive work enviroment
Voice and Data Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit Michigan area4 March 2017
It is a very fast paced company with a lot of travel time. Also like most companies they are struggling to stay competitive.
One of best companies I ever had the pleasure to work with
RMA COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN 381181 March 2017
Great place to spend 8-5pm of your day

Clock in speak to people laugh some and get to work, they didn't require you to sit down at 8 and start working u had time to speak to co workers and then get to work.

RMA procedures, over the phone etiquette, researching a consistent path investigating the outcome of missing equipment.

Management: Best management ive seen.

workplace culture: Family

Hardest part of job: leaving

The most enjoyable part of the job: payday ofcourse!
Pros
The place is like a family a big family, everyone is friendly and its small where everyone can remember your name.
Cons
Doing your job will not save you from finances making budget cuts, if your a temp you may be laid off in order to balance the budget
Bad culture
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN12 January 2017
It started off to be a promising career then politics and nepotism ruined it.
The manager of the warehouse mother was hired to manage her son and the rest of the warehouse. After she fired those that her son did not get along with she was let go within a year.
Pros
Money was solid
Cons
Hired relatives to oversee their own children
Retail IT support services
Lead Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL9 January 2017
Scheduled work projects in-progress, hard to discern who has accountability. Scopes of work not fully detailed as to what the customer wants to be completed. Seemed that no one knew what the other was there to do. what I learned was how to install Point -of-sales systems which was pretty cool.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
business licensed company but, no Occupational license to do the wiring aspect of the job
The worst company ever
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX5 January 2017
This is by far the worst company ever. Do yourself a favor and dont apply. Pay sucks, no kind of support for employees, pm's suck, lack of understanding for work/family life. Overall, just a horrible company thst treats employees like slaves.
Cons
Somewhat of a sweat-shop for IT perople
Project Operations (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MA30 September 2016
Stressful
Constant management intervention
Reacting management culture without researching issues
Virtually no increases or reviews over years of employment
Constant second guessing and no team building or team meetings or one-on-one coaching sessions
Good staff but high turnover and low pay scale
Very long hours, expect project managers to work constantly
Pros
Experience opportunity working with large retail clients
Cons
High stress, low pay, constant intervention, virtually no investment in associates, constant turnover due to business cycles
Spencer Tech
Certified Partner (Current Employee) –  Maui County, HI23 August 2016
I love Spencer Tech, they are very helpful when I need some extra support. My position is on call break fix, I only wished I could get an 9-5 here. I would be making bank.
Pros
Pick and Choose what jobs you want to take, great pay.
Cons
No benefits, and they only call you when stuff breaks.
very unorganized in hiring needs
technician scheduler (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MA27 April 2016
Was very difficult to learn my everyday objective, was never given or assigned a supervisor to go to. Environment was so extremely tied down, no one individual had time for training me to my duties..
Pros
compensation, employees forthcoming
Cons
very disorganized, was hired for very short time frame
Friendly enviroment
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MA16 April 2016
I like to go to work. Co-workers are really friendly and help out when needed. Typical day at work, start the computer and start answering requests from customer, setting up ticket calls to dispatch technicians.

Want to know more about Spencer Technologies?

Ask a question
Project Management prospective
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  United States13 February 2016
Spencer Technologies has a lot of potential to be a great IT solutions company yet fails short to the competition due to poor upper management. Their is no processes or SOP in place to hold people accountable. It wouldn't matter anyways because the people 'in charge" gives in when the clients don't want to pay justifiable overages and money goes out the door. Then the employees are constantly being harped on that the company isn't meeting the forecasted goals. No matter what - we lose. Upper management is not willing to change or take advice to improve the company.

The project managers do whatever it takes to meet their customer needs but are never recognized by management.The project management team members are among the hardest working people in this company and are under paid and over worked. 60 + hour weeks are not uncommon although salaries are under national averages. Paid overtime is never approved and bonuses are never given.
There is little to no room for advancement.

There is high employee turnover because they are treated so poorly. The company loses really great PM's because they fail to recognize their dedication and hard work. The PM's will try to stick it out for the sake of their customers for as long as they can but end up getting fed up and burnt out and leave to work for companies who treat them with respect and dignity. If the company made internal changes and improved their standards, Spencer Technologies could be a great company and ultimately earn more business if they kept employees happy.
Pros
coworkers, learning experience, can work remotely
Cons
no morale, high hours and no paid overtime, low pay, poor management, no room for growth or advancement
A job for a person who loves to travel.
IT/Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Southe Eastern, US11 February 2016
I enjoyed the workload, however it is a very travel oriented company. It has great clients worldwide. If you enjoy to travel constantly and have little home time this is a perfect company for you.
Fun and exciting learning environment
Data Communications Technician (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MA17 December 2015
I enjoy working in the telecommunications field. The different challenges you run into on a dally basis completing reparing and the customer interaction.
the worst company i ever worked for mom and son team and step brother
shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  memphis tn15 November 2015
This company is perfect for that college student who just needs income. This place is run by a mother and son who hold the 1st and 2nd in command here at the Memphis Depot. No coffee is provided, we run out of cups, paper towels and tissue on a regular. The sugar and creamer, cups and plates are locked up and only one person has the key.
Pros
Cons
everything pay sucks to much butt kissing and backstabbing people
Productive Work Place
Recruiter Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MA12 November 2015
Great place to start your career but the best place to finish ultimately. I think it's best to explore bigger companies.
Pros
Great Work ethic
Cons
Very little room to move up
Great Starter Job - Not for Career minded individuals
Tech (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN11 November 2015
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Mother and Son management
productive and fun
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN4 November 2015
I have learned a lot working with Spencer as well as advancing some of the skills i had already gained knowledge for previously.
Satisafactory as a temporary job only.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Northborough25 August 2015
While working there I made it known several times that I was interested in a permanent position. One time the HR person indicated that she and my Manager considered me a valuable asset to the company and that they would work to get me a "great job" at Spencer. Right after that, the HR person leaves the company. Later my manager told me she was not being included in the hiring decisions. So I did not get a permanent job. However, my Manager was still a very good person to work for while I was on this project, and I don't fault her for the corporate culture where only a couple of high echelon individuals are the ones who do all the hiring. I was pretty much invisible to those people.
Pros
Good Manager to work for. Co-workers fun to work with.
Cons
Culture of non inclusion.
No room for advancement, lack of care for family and life situations
Network Technician / (Field Engineer) (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MA2 June 2015
Spencer Technologies offers great incentives at first, as far as company car, cell phone, gas card, and company credit card (hotels only). You are hired on as an employee, but still work off of a piece rate/hourly rate style of pay. A day will last 3 hours and they promise you will get 40 hrs a week. They cut your pay from 20 dollars an hour to 8.50 an hr when driving from site to site or state to state. You get your for 40 hrs a week but it is more like 20 @ 20 an hr for work, then...20 hours @ 8.50 an hr when driving. Where they fall off is their lack of leadership who have little to no experience in the field or telecom experience. S.T. hired field supervisors from Pizza Hut who were suppose to be SME in the field but knew very little. Co workers are great guys but GREATLY underpaid. They have us doing ground up installs, cut-overs, troubleshooting, IP configuring, commissioning, cable running, T-1 extensions, hardware upgrades, software upgrades, etc. We are under ONE job title but hidden under that are the 7 others job titles attached. I don't mind working like this, but pay me accordingly. The work is easy if you know what you are doing but the pay is HORRIBLE. You will spend 90% of your time on the road in hotels and the Project managers drop the ball on logistics and jobs constantly. You will never get this time back if you have a family or are family oriented. So, weigh your options...at what price does family, and your well being come before money to you. This job is an easy 50k to start off at because off the scope of work you will doing and yet they offer you to  more... start @ 32K.  less
Pros
laptop and cell phone
Cons
management, pay, broken promises, lack of integrity
Spencer has really good intentions
Director of Depot/Warehouse Operations (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN5 May 2015
Spencer Tech is a fast paced environment to work in. The people are some of the best i have worked with, although at times, unorganized and demanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spencer Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3