Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Fun, friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 September 2017
• Operated point of sale transactions quickly and accurately while upselling additional items to customers to ensure store targets were met and had a consistent increase of units per transaction to 2.0
• Handled difficult customer service situations with composure
• Received shipments, and opened and unpacked merchandise quickly
• Worked with a team to guarantee that selling floor, cash point, and stockroom were clean and well maintained
Fun workplace, management wasn't ideal though
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 September 2017
Enjoyed actually going there for shifts, all coworkers and managers were really nice and helpful. Overall a good place to work, if you're outgoing. Only real drawback to the job is management isn't very organized.
Pros
Short Shifts, Fun Environment
Cons
good atmosphere and good team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2017
I enjoyed the people who worked there and the overall store. You learn to work with others and costumer service. Management I think expected a little to much of a goal wise of the store to achive. Hardest part of the job sometimes was the having short staff.
Pros
discount
Cons
on your feet a lot
VERY Part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 September 2017
I was a part time sales associate at a brand new store. Management told us they "over hired" and had to fire most of us. Even though there was only about 4 Sales Associate, we got barely any shifts as Management and Assistant Managers get first pick of shifts, as well as days off. It was a lot of fun meeting people, but if you are looking for a lot of hours this may not be the place for you.
Pros
Potential for multiple breaks, short shifts, socialable people
Cons
lack of shifts
Good part time job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
Spencer's Gifts is a type of job where you should only work there as a part time/seasonal job. It's not a place where you want to start a career in. Other than that, I love everyone I work with. Best employees I've ever worked with.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Company
fun work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 July 2017
I enjoyed my time there and would go back any time. I learned purchase ordering. It was a fun store which carried a lot of different things. I enjoyed my Dm and all my staff they made the bad days good.
Pros
great staff
Cons
wages
amazing work crew wonderful management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 July 2017
i haven't worked here long but im absolutely in love with the people and the job. its the best job i've ever had! Sometimes customers can be difficult but the other employees have taught me really well how to deal with all diffirent types of situations and have helped me improve as an employee myself.
Pros
amazing fun loving staff
Cons
not enough hours
Minimum wage and Manager uses you
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 July 2017
Low wage, management doesn't work and pawns off their responsibilities on to the staff and then does not take resposibilty for it. Prepare to be let go as a scapegoat for managment mistakes for the lowest possible pay.
Pros
Cons
Whole Job is a con
Very good work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON19 June 2017
Lucky to have an amazing manager who strives to make the store better each day and balances care to their coworkers. We promote a positive work environment and are lucky to have a staff that get along and work so well together. It's a great place to work at.
stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 June 2017
management need accountability for every thing and when it came time to own up to your actions the manager would find a scapegoat.. bullying tactics where also used to get people fired or quit their postions.
excellent work environment
Manager/ Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kingston9 June 2017
great work environment
flexible hours
awesome incentives for staff
clean work environment
steady hours- full time
hard working staff and company to work for
Pros
40% off merchandise for staff
Cons
loss prevention and theft
Amazing place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 May 2017
I loved working at Spencers Gifts. It was a great environment filled with great high spirited people. The hours were good and they treated everyone fairly. They were great teachers and i highly recommend working with that company.
Pros
great discount and fun place to work
Cons
You have to watch around 4 hours of online teaching videos
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 May 2017
Probably my favorite place I have ever worked at. The evironment was fun and the people were really nice to be around. Staff dinners made everyone feel part of a team and included
Quick turnout
Supervisor as of March 2016 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 May 2017
The people I worked with were awesome, but when they decide to change employees they will find ANY reason to boot you; no matter how loyal you have been.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The company
spencers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2017
fun place to work, great environment, people are friendly. they sell cool items, and awesome tee shirts. the staff is super nice and welcoming, not pushy.
Fantastic
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB16 April 2017
I love working at Spencer's.I love the ever changing and upbeat environment. Our moto is life's a party and we're making it great. There is alot of potential to advance in your career here. It's a great place to work
Pros
Good team
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun, Relaxed, and interactive
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON25 March 2017
A typical day at work involved store set up before opening, followed by paperwork and system booting/set up. Following that, a typical day would encompass a variety of store tasks (such as cleaning, merchandising, advertisement changes, department clean-ups) and customer service (takes precedence over tasks).
I built up my core skills in sales and customer interactions. I learned the roles and responsibilities of each position.
Workplace culture was very easy going and extremely friendly. Everyone is meant to be friends with everyone (ie. employees, employers, and customers).
The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the atmosphere. It doesn't take long there to become comfortable and confident in your role and own it and make it your own. A very encouraging and understanding workplace. All in all an excellent experience that I learned a considerable amount of my skills in.
Pros
Fun, challenging, easy going tasks
Cons
Little hours as an associate
Id advise away from the oshawa location.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 March 2017
I got hired and then never got any hours after 1 day of unloading the truck before opening. Whenever I asked about when I was working I was told the schedule wasn't finished yet others were getting hours and telling me straight up that the schedule was posted.
I hung in from November till January and I left. Don't need that kind of disrespect. I love the company. I'd just avoid the oshawa location.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Unstable hours
Definitely a party
Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 March 2017
True to their motto, "life is a party and they are making it fun" Great place overall, but feeling severely over-worked and under-paid as management. Amazing advancement and training, very hands-on and thorough.
productive and expressive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 February 2017
It was an awesome place to work. Everyone there is awesome! I truly loved working there.
completed many tasks
worked on cash mostly
the most enjoyable part was the people i worked with and the variety of personality's.
Pros
Awesome music
Cons
Very loud lol