Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

creative and fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2018
im currently working with spencers part time, it has a great environment & great people the customers are very fun and i love being interactive with them because i really enjoy the products we sell
Pros
30% discount
Cons
not many hours
amazing place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 January 2018
this gift store is absolutely incredible ! amazing things for the perfect gift with a little hint of sugar and spice at the back ! i highly recommend this store to the entire world
Wonderful People to work with
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON29 January 2018
while spencers is a place where you buy gag gifts and gifts that can make people "gag", the atmosphere was a wonderful breath of fresh air.

Everyone wanted to have a good time and a good time was had by all. Overall a great place to work at.
Pros
Nice people, Easy to maintain stores
Cons
Standing all day
productive fun place with incredible employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 January 2018
super fun, relaxed work place & dress code, amazing staff, quality service, flexible hours paced depended on the day & the types of customers, making sure merchandise was in the proper place, helping out everyone, folding shirts, shelves, replenishing stock, making sure everyone has an enjoyable experience.
Pros
amazing people, super fun, flexible hours
Productive, easy going and fun
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 January 2018
A typical day of work at Spencer's is just a lot of customer service and cleaning up around the store, this place has the best management I've had so far.
Pros
Great coworkers, easy to talk to managers, fun job
Cons
not enough hours
Fun and Chill work enviorment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 January 2018
Great place to work. Very relaxed, super chill enviornment. Focus is to make customers and staff their first priority. Not for people who are to timid.
Unorganized management, very little hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 January 2018
I thought working at spencers would be an amazing opportunity since it's such a laid back environment with what seemed to be such friendly people. wrong. The environment is laid back, but it is so dead when christmas is over that your shifts are cut to once a week, management is completely unorganized and if you don't call every single day to see when you work next you're likely to miss a shift with how much they change the schedule every week. Most management treat their sales associates like garbage, and even customers have brought this to the attention of sales associates. Basically if you're not management you're treated horrible, you're talked about, and barely scheduled. If you're scheduled for your ten minute break and you miss it, good luck taking your break at all because they schedule them so close to when your shift is supposed to be done so you're unable to take a break.
Pros
30% merchandise
Cons
horrible management, unorganized
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2018
The workplace was always super friendly and inviting.It was always super productive. The culture of the place is super light hearted and it was a party. We would have dance party's on the floor while working. I really enjoyed my co-workers and found the long hours hard.
Pros
Co-workers were super friendly
Fun place - low pay
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 January 2018
Fun place to work, but pay leaves something to be desired. Work long work weeks, associates aren't given many hours. High turnover rate for assistant managers. But a great job if you are looking to advance or gain experience.
Pros
fun, good music, cool stuff, discount
Cons
long hours, low pay
Fun place to work, interesting items to sell.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 December 2017
Enjoyable environment to work in, with incredibly understanding and patient co-workers. Management we're understanding to my needs, and were there to help out when it began to get busy.
Fun relaxed environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2017
I work for spencers as a supervisor and it is an extremely fun environment. You can swear, wear what you like and be chill with your managers. How ever it is more of a second job. It has very little hours to give out and they do not offer benefits.
Pros
Fun environment, cool music, cool customers, room for advancement
Cons
Little hours, low pay
They say they are inclusive but they are not,
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2017
Would not work here again.
Managers were inexperienced and it was hard to make sales targets due to that fact,
staff were young and unreliable.
No benefits or advancement opportunitys.
Relaxed fun environment
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB8 October 2017
Spencers is one of the best company’s I have worked for. It is such s relaxed environment, great discount, no dress code. At my location my coworkers and my mangers have always been great and super supportive. There is Also a lot of room for advancement. I was initionally hired for seasonal but then was asked to stay, then 6 months of being a sales associate I was promoted to sales supervisor and now I’m on my was to assistant manager and I haven’t even been there for a year. The only downfall is there isn’t a lot of hours, especially if your manager decides to hire a lot of people.
Pros
Discount, relaxed environment, great management
Cons
Little hours
Fun, friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 September 2017
• Operated point of sale transactions quickly and accurately while upselling additional items to customers to ensure store targets were met and had a consistent increase of units per transaction to 2.0
• Handled difficult customer service situations with composure
• Received shipments, and opened and unpacked merchandise quickly
• Worked with a team to guarantee that selling floor, cash point, and stockroom were clean and well maintained
Fun workplace, management wasn't ideal though
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 September 2017
Enjoyed actually going there for shifts, all coworkers and managers were really nice and helpful. Overall a good place to work, if you're outgoing. Only real drawback to the job is management isn't very organized.
Pros
Short Shifts, Fun Environment
Cons
good atmosphere and good team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2017
I enjoyed the people who worked there and the overall store. You learn to work with others and costumer service. Management I think expected a little to much of a goal wise of the store to achive. Hardest part of the job sometimes was the having short staff.
Pros
discount
Cons
on your feet a lot
VERY Part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 September 2017
I was a part time sales associate at a brand new store. Management told us they "over hired" and had to fire most of us. Even though there was only about 4 Sales Associate, we got barely any shifts as Management and Assistant Managers get first pick of shifts, as well as days off. It was a lot of fun meeting people, but if you are looking for a lot of hours this may not be the place for you.
Pros
Potential for multiple breaks, short shifts, socialable people
Cons
lack of shifts
Good part time job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
Spencer's Gifts is a type of job where you should only work there as a part time/seasonal job. It's not a place where you want to start a career in. Other than that, I love everyone I work with. Best employees I've ever worked with.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Company
fun work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 July 2017
I enjoyed my time there and would go back any time. I learned purchase ordering. It was a fun store which carried a lot of different things. I enjoyed my Dm and all my staff they made the bad days good.
Pros
great staff
Cons
wages
amazing work crew wonderful management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 July 2017
i haven't worked here long but im absolutely in love with the people and the job. its the best job i've ever had! Sometimes customers can be difficult but the other employees have taught me really well how to deal with all diffirent types of situations and have helped me improve as an employee myself.
Pros
amazing fun loving staff
Cons
not enough hours