Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Id advise away from the oshawa location.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 March 2017
I got hired and then never got any hours after 1 day of unloading the truck before opening. Whenever I asked about when I was working I was told the schedule wasn't finished yet others were getting hours and telling me straight up that the schedule was posted.
I hung in from November till January and I left. Don't need that kind of disrespect. I love the company. I'd just avoid the oshawa location.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Unstable hours
Definitely a party
Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 March 2017
True to their motto, "life is a party and they are making it fun" Great place overall, but feeling severely over-worked and under-paid as management. Amazing advancement and training, very hands-on and thorough.
productive and expressive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 February 2017
It was an awesome place to work. Everyone there is awesome! I truly loved working there.
completed many tasks
worked on cash mostly
the most enjoyable part was the people i worked with and the variety of personality's.
Pros
AWESOME MUSIC
Cons
Very loud lol
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Spencer's values enthusiastic energetic people. The room for growth is limited, salary for store managers is under paid. The balance of fun and work is good .
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2017
If you're looking for a fun, exciting and challenging environment, I suggest applying to Spencer's. My only big issue working there was that it was VERY part time. There were weeks were I was only getting one 3 hour shift per week because there wasn't many hours to spread around. If you're just looking to make a couple extra dollars fine but you can't rely on Spencer's for a consistently healthy pay check.
Great place, not great hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB27 January 2017
Spencers Gifts is a nice company to work for, but unfortunately I am not able to stay due to being paid minimum wage and not getting many hours per week
Pros
Good people, good company
Cons
No hours, not very good wages
Fun workplace , great atmospher
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 January 2017
Great atmospher
If you are outgoing this is the place to be or work.
It is never a doll moment working at Spencer's.
Definitely need to hire more hard working employees, non students. As students would rather be out and about then actually working.
Fun and energetic work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 January 2017
Work at Spencer's gift was more like a learning experience. Being able to interact with so many people on a daily basis has increased my own personal self-confidence. My co-workers and management were exceptional at their jobs, jovial and filled with energy. The hardest part of my job would be the long hours on my feet with no breaks. The most enjoyable part of my job would be talking to customers.
Pros
Reasonable employee discounts and break times
Cons
Lots of standing
Fun work poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
while the work was very easy and rewarding i would only recommend Spencer's to someone looking for work for a few months and not as a career.
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 January 2017
I've been working at Spencer for almost a year and half, and it super fun place but there are things that should be changed!
Pros
Fun
Cons
Should get paid for vacation
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 December 2016
Never work at the Lethbridge Alberta location. The management constantly jerks your schedule around and changes your shifts without informing you, and then claims that you're the one whose wrong. He completely ignored my availability and changed my hours all over the place and would text me accusingly when I wasn't around for a shift he added after posting the original schedule. He and another manager give mixed directions and communication is extremely poor. The other employees are nice enough and the customers are interesting to talk to, but it makes it impossible to do anything but stress when your manager gives you trouble all the time about the scheduling. It is an incredibly disorganized and mismanaged workplace.
Pros
no uniform, 30% employee discount
Cons
bad management, disorganized, confusing scheduling
productive and fun work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 October 2016
Great place to work for the fact that i met great people there. I could wear what I want and be myself everyday at work. Working in a place that makes people laugh all day was great because its a positive work environment. Great discounts on items.
Pros
can wear what you want to work
Cons
salary
fun place to work at
Customer Sales (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 August 2016
Great place to work,organized and exciting. Very nice staff, caring and helpful. When time off was needed, manager was always willing to work with me.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Boring
Seasonal Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON27 July 2016
I got hired on as a seasonal associate. Because the store was new to our mall, and it was Christmas the managers had no time to train me, and no time to allow me to go on the training program myself. Before your shift and after your shift you were treated like a criminal, as the staff would check to see if you have anything on you. I have worked several places over the years and none of those places required all staff members to get checked.
Pros
Cons
Horrible seasonal job
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 July 2016
Spencer's Gifts is a great work environment with a very energetic team. The management team is welcoming, helpful, and well organized. They help you whenever you have questions and the training beforehand is very helpful. In order to work for a company such as Spencer's you have to be a able to work in a social setting while remaining professional and staying on task. You are connecting with customers on a daily basis with an informal approach in order to help better sell products and find out what the customers are looking for. Overall it is a great company to work for, great work environment and team.
Pros
good employees, good company
Cons
Hour fluctuation
Workplace bullying
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 July 2016
My part time hours got cut dramatically after the manger told me on many occasion I would be getting promoted. Manager would often call me "boss" as I have great organization, prioritizing, communication, product knowledge, walk through cleaning skills, and overall mature presence. I was the go to person for mostly everything that didn't require manager codes. The manager even went as far as starting to schedule times we could start training for my promotion. Shortly after that, the manager brought their friend as the assistant manager. My hours got cut back from almost full time hours (34-40 hour weeks) to one half shift a week. The manager bullied me out of the store, forcing me to quit (because they had no reason to fire me.) I wasn't the only person bullied out of that specific store either. I seen it once before myself. Spencer's felt like high school with all this drama. I didn't fit into the clique when I was hired on, but I was never hated. If the manager knew the possibilities of hiring someone instead of promoting me, the manager should have never mentioned the promotion to me over the course of 2 months we had been talking and training. I'm aware what the Spencer's brand is, however, there still needs to be professional standards and practices. Once the management team and some coworkers started talking poorly behind my back and to my face I had to quit. I wasn't going to let those people walk all over me by giving me non-constructive criticism that had no relation to my job.
Pros
Streetwise discount
Cons
Under appreciated, bullied, lied to, unprofessional staff/ felt like high school drama
Exciting work environment and even more exciting customers!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  1485 Portage Ave Unit 22823 June 2016
Working at Spencers Gifts is a joy. Between tasking and serving customers, there really isn't any reason you should be bored. Considering this has been my first job in retail, I've learned just about everything I'd have to know going into any other retail job.
Management at Spencers is dedicated to getting things done right. Though can be unreasonably snappy at times, all was in good reason and for the sake of the store.
The Co-Workers all come in the same. Shy at first and a little quiet for the upbeat energy of the store. But after maybe a week or two, they learn to be as outgoing and as helpful as they can. Really putting in 100% of their effort!
I'd say the hardest part of the job is the same as any other retailer; Christmas season. Through the hustle and bustle of the busy times, there have been plenty moments where we wouldn't have time to catch our breaths. But the most enjoyable part of the job would definitely have to be being part of the Spencers team. My co-workers and management team have been the most lovable people I could've ever met in any workplace environment.
Typical day at work
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
A typical day at work gives me a energy to work more and more. I love to acheive targets and to work with other team members.
Fun Place to work but Temporary
Sales Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2016
It was an excellent place to work. It was a fast pace environement that taught me a lot about sales. I was promoted to Assistant Manager after only a few months which was a privilege and very well earned.
Pros
Good Hours, Fun staff and products, Amazing discounts
Cons
Manager needs more training.
Fun Place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON29 May 2016
Work place was fun and easy going. Very competitive with other districts. You do need to be cautious and be attentive for shoplifting. I learned not to be so trusting of some management. My manager was great but a lot of the other management was very unprofessional. My co- workers were all very friendly. I enjoyed the environment and social interactions. I did not enjoy having to deal with theft.
Pros
Fun environment.
Cons
Not enough hours.

2.9