Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Fun and energetic work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 January 2017
Work at Spencer's gift was more like a learning experience. Being able to interact with so many people on a daily basis has increased my own personal self-confidence. My co-workers and management were exceptional at their jobs, jovial and filled with energy. The hardest part of my job would be the long hours on my feet with no breaks. The most enjoyable part of my job would be talking to customers.
Pros
Reasonable employee discounts and break times
Cons
Lots of standing
Fun work poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
while the work was very easy and rewarding i would only recommend Spencer's to someone looking for work for a few months and not as a career.
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 January 2017
I've been working at Spencer for almost a year and half, and it super fun place but there are things that should be changed!
Pros
Fun
Cons
Should get paid for vacation
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 December 2016
Never work at the Lethbridge Alberta location. The management constantly jerks your schedule around and changes your shifts without informing you, and then claims that you're the one whose wrong. He completely ignored my availability and changed my hours all over the place and would text me accusingly when I wasn't around for a shift he added after posting the original schedule. He and another manager give mixed directions and communication is extremely poor. The other employees are nice enough and the customers are interesting to talk to, but it makes it impossible to do anything but stress when your manager gives you trouble all the time about the scheduling. It is an incredibly disorganized and mismanaged workplace.
Pros
no uniform, 30% employee discount
Cons
bad management, disorganized, confusing scheduling
productive and fun work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 October 2016
Great place to work for the fact that i met great people there. I could wear what I want and be myself everyday at work. Working in a place that makes people laugh all day was great because its a positive work environment. Great discounts on items.
Pros
can wear what you want to work
Cons
salary
fun place to work at
Customer Sales (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 August 2016
Great place to work,organized and exciting. Very nice staff, caring and helpful. When time off was needed, manager was always willing to work with me.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Boring
Seasonal Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON27 July 2016
I got hired on as a seasonal associate. Because the store was new to our mall, and it was Christmas the managers had no time to train me, and no time to allow me to go on the training program myself. Before your shift and after your shift you were treated like a criminal, as the staff would check to see if you have anything on you. I have worked several places over the years and none of those places required all staff members to get checked.
Pros
Cons
Horrible seasonal job
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 July 2016
Spencer's Gifts is a great work environment with a very energetic team. The management team is welcoming, helpful, and well organized. They help you whenever you have questions and the training beforehand is very helpful. In order to work for a company such as Spencer's you have to be a able to work in a social setting while remaining professional and staying on task. You are connecting with customers on a daily basis with an informal approach in order to help better sell products and find out what the customers are looking for. Overall it is a great company to work for, great work environment and team.
Pros
good employees, good company
Cons
Hour fluctuation
Workplace bullying
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 July 2016
My part time hours got cut dramatically after the manger told me on many occasion I would be getting promoted. Manager would often call me "boss" as I have great organization, prioritizing, communication, product knowledge, walk through cleaning skills, and overall mature presence. I was the go to person for mostly everything that didn't require manager codes. The manager even went as far as starting to schedule times we could start training for my promotion. Shortly after that, the manager brought their friend as the assistant manager. My hours got cut back from almost full time hours (34-40 hour weeks) to one half shift a week. The manager bullied me out of the store, forcing me to quit (because they had no reason to fire me.) I wasn't the only person bullied out of that specific store either. I seen it once before myself. Spencer's felt like high school with all this drama. I didn't fit into the clique when I was hired on, but I was never hated. If the manager knew the possibilities of hiring someone instead of promoting me, the manager should have never mentioned the promotion to me over the course of 2 months we had been talking and training. I'm aware what the Spencer's brand is, however, there still needs to be professional standards and practices. Once the management team and some coworkers started talking poorly behind my back and to my face I had to quit. I wasn't going to let those people walk all over me by giving me non-constructive criticism that had no relation to my job.
Pros
Streetwise discount
Cons
Under appreciated, bullied, lied to, unprofessional staff/ felt like high school drama
Exciting work environment and even more exciting customers!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  1485 Portage Ave Unit 22823 June 2016
Working at Spencers Gifts is a joy. Between tasking and serving customers, there really isn't any reason you should be bored. Considering this has been my first job in retail, I've learned just about everything I'd have to know going into any other retail job.
Management at Spencers is dedicated to getting things done right. Though can be unreasonably snappy at times, all was in good reason and for the sake of the store.
The Co-Workers all come in the same. Shy at first and a little quiet for the upbeat energy of the store. But after maybe a week or two, they learn to be as outgoing and as helpful as they can. Really putting in 100% of their effort!
I'd say the hardest part of the job is the same as any other retailer; Christmas season. Through the hustle and bustle of the busy times, there have been plenty moments where we wouldn't have time to catch our breaths. But the most enjoyable part of the job would definitely have to be being part of the Spencers team. My co-workers and management team have been the most lovable people I could've ever met in any workplace environment.
Typical day at work
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
A typical day at work gives me a energy to work more and more. I love to acheive targets and to work with other team members.
Fun Place to work but Temporary
Sales Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2016
It was an excellent place to work. It was a fast pace environement that taught me a lot about sales. I was promoted to Assistant Manager after only a few months which was a privilege and very well earned.
Pros
Good Hours, Fun staff and products, Amazing discounts
Cons
Manager needs more training.
Fun Place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON29 May 2016
Work place was fun and easy going. Very competitive with other districts. You do need to be cautious and be attentive for shoplifting. I learned not to be so trusting of some management. My manager was great but a lot of the other management was very unprofessional. My co- workers were all very friendly. I enjoyed the environment and social interactions. I did not enjoy having to deal with theft.
Pros
Fun environment.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Great place to work, fast-paced tasking environment with a focus on customer service
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 May 2016
Specer's Gifts is a great place to work. The day begins with a quick two minute wrap prior to beginning your shift. The management team relays important information such as sales targets, special promotions and other tasks going on in the store. The atmosphere of the store is upbeat, and everyone is constantly motivating each other to strive to beat sale targets and help customers with merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customers on a day-to-day basis.
Great environment, minimal hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough On4 May 2016
Spencer's was a great place to work. Coworkers and management were fantastic, and the job itself was enjoyable. The only issue with the store was the lack of hours to distribute.
Never work in the Lethbridge Alberta store
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB10 April 2016
The manager is by far the most incompetent person I have ever worked for, constantly changing schedules with no notice, would give supervisors and assistant managers all the hours while basic employees are lucky to get more than 4. Overall he was just not suited for the job he is too old and used to manage an adult video store and he could rarely relate to younger customers which is the key demographic.Also the company itself is very unprofessional from the human resources department all the way to regional management. On top of that theft in the store is insanely high due to lack of employees scheduled and the 18+ section is completely out in the open for anyone to see, honestly I do not see this store being open more than 2 years tops. that being said the rest of the staff were great people and the company itself is fun to work for I think just not in southern Alberta
Pros
discount, co workers
Cons
terrible hours, bad management, zero chances of advancement, no job stability
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 April 2016
overall great atmosphere to work in, with great people, co-workers were fun, and the hardest part of the job was lifting boxes up ladders
Pros
%40 off discounts
Cons
Not enought Hours
messy
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON30 March 2016
management at the time was not organized at all. very sad to see.
we failed almost every performance we had despite our hard work
Friendly environment, enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 February 2016
Working at Spencer's, I learned how to communicate with different types of people, accordingly. I also learned valuable cashier skills, along with leadership skills.
Pros
Co-workers, the environment, the customers
Cons
Short hours or no hours.
Super fun workplace!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 January 2016
I had plenty of fun working at Spencer's, everyone working there is super nice and the management is fantastic. I learned a lot about interacting with guests and assisting them in terms if finding what they're looking for.
Pros
Fun environment, outgoing staff
Cons
It can be really slow and quiet sometimes.

2.9