Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

fun place to work at
Customer Sales (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 7, 2016
Great place to work,organized and exciting. Very nice staff, caring and helpful. When time off was needed, manager was always willing to work with me.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Boring
Seasonal Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJuly 27, 2016
I got hired on as a seasonal associate. Because the store was new to our mall, and it was Christmas the managers had no time to train me, and no time to allow me to go on the training program myself. Before your shift and after your shift you were treated like a criminal, as the staff would check to see if you have anything on you. I have worked several places over the years and none of those places required all staff members to get checked.
Pros
Cons
Horrible seasonal job
Workplace bullying
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 20, 2016
My part time hours got cut dramatically after the manger told me on many occasion I would be getting promoted. Manager would often call me "boss" as I have great organization, prioritizing, communication, product knowledge, walk through cleaning skills, and overall mature presence. I was the go to person for mostly everything that didn't require manager codes. The manager even went as far as starting to schedule times we could start training for my promotion. Shortly after that, the manager brought their friend as the assistant manager. My hours got cut back from almost full time hours (34-40 hour weeks) to one half shift a week. The manager bullied me out of the store, forcing me to quit (because they had no reason to fire me.) I wasn't the only person bullied out of that specific store either. I seen it once before myself. Spencer's felt like high school with all this drama. I didn't fit into the clique when I was hired on, but I was never hated. If the manager knew the possibilities of hiring someone instead of promoting me, the manager should have never mentioned the promotion to me over the course of 2 months we had been talking and training. I'm aware what the Spencer's brand is, however, there still needs to be professional standards and practices. Once the management team and some coworkers started talking poorly behind my back and to my face I had to quit. I wasn't going to let those people walk all over me by giving me non-constructive criticism that had no relation to my job.
Pros
Streetwise discount
Cons
Under appreciated, bullied, lied to, unprofessional staff/ felt like high school drama
Exciting work environment and even more exciting customers!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  1485 Portage Ave Unit 228June 23, 2016
Working at Spencers Gifts is a joy. Between tasking and serving customers, there really isn't any reason you should be bored. Considering this has been my first job in retail, I've learned just about everything I'd have to know going into any other retail job.
Management at Spencers is dedicated to getting things done right. Though can be unreasonably snappy at times, all was in good reason and for the sake of the store.
The Co-Workers all come in the same. Shy at first and a little quiet for the upbeat energy of the store. But after maybe a week or two, they learn to be as outgoing and as helpful as they can. Really putting in 100% of their effort!
I'd say the hardest part of the job is the same as any other retailer; Christmas season. Through the hustle and bustle of the busy times, there have been plenty moments where we wouldn't have time to catch our breaths. But the most enjoyable part of the job would definitely have to be being part of the Spencers team. My co-workers and management team have been the most lovable people I could've ever met in any workplace environment.
Typical day at work
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
A typical day at work gives me a energy to work more and more. I love to acheive targets and to work with other team members.
Fun Place to work but Temporary
Sales Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 31, 2016
It was an excellent place to work. It was a fast pace environement that taught me a lot about sales. I was promoted to Assistant Manager after only a few months which was a privilege and very well earned.
Pros
Good Hours, Fun staff and products, Amazing discounts
Cons
Manager needs more training.
Fun Place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMay 29, 2016
Work place was fun and easy going. Very competitive with other districts. You do need to be cautious and be attentive for shoplifting. I learned not to be so trusting of some management. My manager was great but a lot of the other management was very unprofessional. My co- workers were all very friendly. I enjoyed the environment and social interactions. I did not enjoy having to deal with theft.
Pros
Fun environment.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Great place to work, fast-paced tasking environment with a focus on customer service
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 5, 2016
Specer's Gifts is a great place to work. The day begins with a quick two minute wrap prior to beginning your shift. The management team relays important information such as sales targets, special promotions and other tasks going on in the store. The atmosphere of the store is upbeat, and everyone is constantly motivating each other to strive to beat sale targets and help customers with merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customers on a day-to-day basis.
Great environment, minimal hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough OnMay 4, 2016
Spencer's was a great place to work. Coworkers and management were fantastic, and the job itself was enjoyable. The only issue with the store was the lack of hours to distribute.
Never work in the Lethbridge Alberta store
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABApril 10, 2016
The manager is by far the most incompetent person I have ever worked for, constantly changing schedules with no notice, would give supervisors and assistant managers all the hours while basic employees are lucky to get more than 4. Overall he was just not suited for the job he is too old and used to manage an adult video store and he could rarely relate to younger customers which is the key demographic.Also the company itself is very unprofessional from the human resources department all the way to regional management. On top of that theft in the store is insanely high due to lack of employees scheduled and the 18+ section is completely out in the open for anyone to see, honestly I do not see this store being open more than 2 years tops. that being said the rest of the staff were great people and the company itself is fun to work for I think just not in southern Alberta
Pros
discount, co workers
Cons
terrible hours, bad management, zero chances of advancement, no job stability
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 10, 2016
overall great atmosphere to work in, with great people, co-workers were fun, and the hardest part of the job was lifting boxes up ladders
Pros
%40 off discounts
Cons
Not enought Hours
messy
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMarch 30, 2016
management at the time was not organized at all. very sad to see.
we failed almost every performance we had despite our hard work
Friendly environment, enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Working at Spencer's, I learned how to communicate with different types of people, accordingly. I also learned valuable cashier skills, along with leadership skills.
Pros
Co-workers, the environment, the customers
Cons
Short hours or no hours.
Super fun workplace!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I had plenty of fun working at Spencer's, everyone working there is super nice and the management is fantastic. I learned a lot about interacting with guests and assisting them in terms if finding what they're looking for.
Pros
Fun environment, outgoing staff
Cons
It can be really slow and quiet sometimes.
Life's a party!!!!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 17, 2016
This has got to be the most fun, awesome, vibrant job I have ever had and will ever have. Spencer's has everything you could possibly think of (and plenty you'd never dream of)! This has always been one of my favorite stores!! The whole attitude of Spencer's is "Life's a Party"! You and your coworkers are the hosts of the party, the customers are our guests. We do everything in our power to provide you with the best party experience ever!!! Play with us, chat with us, have a 10 second dance party with us!! Best job ever!
Pros
Fun, awesome discount that overlaps promotions!
Cons
somewhat stressful at times
Potentially Awesome
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Spencer's Gifts is a great place to work if you are in high school looking for a bit of spending cash but unfortunately for anyone else it really just isn't worth it. Poor management is a constant issue all the way up to the district managers and they treat their employees with little to no respect. After a year I have yet to see any indication of possibility of moving up in the company, my hours have been cut from 15-30 to 4-8 and any ideas or ways to improve productivity has been disregarded immediately. If it was not for the other employees and being my only source of income I would not work at Spencers Gifts again.
It is a very fin place to work and very laid back, sometimes i wish it was a more professinal enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 15, 2016
The work is easy. It's never to fast of a pace. Pricing and merchandising products is tedious, but it's not to bad seeing as it's an easy task. Cleaning is fine, I enjoy cleaning up the work space. Management is very friendly, as are my coworkers. There's no difficult part of the job. The most enjoyable part of my job is that i get to be social with customers.
Pros
Everyone is treated fairly
Cons
Short hours
Fun workplace, great coworkers, and flexible hours.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day included arriving and going over the party planner. Depending on that I would either be assigned an area of the store to watch and help customers in, be assigned at a cash register, or be doing inventory. At the end of the day we cleaned up, threw out garbage/recycling, and locked up. I learned how to use a register and handle money better. I also learned how to fold and put away inventory. My manager and coworkers were great people, really friendly.
Pros
Great inventory and discount
Cons
Now very few hours
Fast paced and friendly people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Typical day would consist of me stocking shelves, making sure that whatever in the back was on the floor. I worked cash when asked. I also helped customers when they were in need of assistance. Even if they were just browsing I always went out of my to make sure that they were doing alright. I learned to be more confident in talking to people, that definitely expanded my social skills. Management was decent. Our managers are quite young. It was nice in the sense that I could relate to them work wise and personally though they dont quite know exactly how to run a business. There has only been one conflict between the Store Manager and I, but it was quite the conflict. It could have been easily prevented if the manager knew more about how to do her job. The hardest part was making sure that we got everything done on time. Some people would slack off, including myself in some areas. But we manage. My favourite part is working with my co-workers. They're all very nice, and never once had I had a problem with them.
Pros
Flexible hours
Such a fun place to work with amazing staff and opportunities
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day at work included putting out stock, cleaning up the store whether it was putting items away or refolding t-shirts, as well as running the till and making sure the customers had a great experience while shopping at Spencer's Gifts. The management and my co-workers were amazing and a magnificent group of people to work with. I think the hardest part of the job was trying to keep the t-shirt cubes clean and nicely folded throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the atmosphere from working with such enjoyable people.
Pros
The atmosphere
Cons
Not enough hours

2.9