Spence Diamonds Employee Reviews

Fast and repetitive task, sitting all day, busy...
Master Goldsmith (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 September 2017
Good company, Good management, Busy place, Multiculture coworkers, Every month Birthday celebration for employee..

Once in while all employee lunch gathering
Pros
Lunch and festival party
Cons
Traveling time to get at work place
Decent place to work - Dictatorship like
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 September 2017
It's a fun place to work if you eliminate the dictatorship like mentality.
there is a script of 30 pages to remember and if you miss a word you are off the selling floor. poorly managed.
Pros
good salary & Commissions
Cons
Dictatorship like - need more sales selections (not just rings)
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Fast paced at times
Good Experience
Friendly coworkers
Friendly members
Opportunity to grow
Gain experience in professional atmosphere
Poorly ran management team
Head Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
If you sell diamonds then you are a star. You can do what ever you want as long as you sell, sell, sell!
Reception is treated as support staff to the consultants. Expected to follow up on the clients waiting for their orders and deal with all the problems. The consultants tend to drop their clients as soon as the sale is done.

Reception is highly under paid for what they are expected to do, and left with no respect.

Left this position because I was promised a wage review, and never received one. When I pushed, I was told that I would not receive one and I would also not receive a wage increase.
Pros
Discount of diamonds
Cons
Weekends, nights, treated poorly
Awful.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2017
Awful place to work. No sense of teamwork or loyalty - the place has a revolving door as far as employees go. Terrible corporate culture, always fearing for your job since so many people get fired all the time. Corporate management is awful. HR practices are sketchy at best.
Cons
12 hour days, rotational schedule, no sense of job security, unprofessional leadership
Very poorly ran company
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 April 2017
Don't work here. The pay is excellent, but staff are treated like they a disposable. CEO is one of the most dishonest, unethical business leaders I have ever met.
Script, script, script
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
Had way better expectations for spence since they consider themselves a top sales organization. Found out they are not ,they don't take care of their employees. Manager is tough to work with and very rude. Does not offer any sales training other than a script that has been created and don't allow any leniency towards the script so they want robots nots sales people.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not a true sales organization, management is not there as support but to manage as a dictator.
Bad communication and very unprofessional
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 January 2017
Didn't have to work there too long to realize how unstable this job was. High turn over leave. People always getting let go. A lot to know for 12.50/hr. No intensive training, they throw you right into it. Very unstable hours. People were very shady and two-faced.
Pros
It was challenging
Cons
Unstablity
Never safe
Diamond consultant (Former Employee) –  Langley BC20 October 2016
I was hired as a diamond consultant and the manger left out So many things during my training that I found myself being trained by the other employees rather than the manager. I was given a letter after a week of not hitting my sales target and then I was fired 4 days later. I wasn't given a real chance to improve. They do not care about helping their employees grow. The company clearly only
Cares about money and not actually having
Long term hardworking employees. Very high turn around and the sales "up" system is completely flawed.
Pros
Own office, can be good pay
Cons
Improper training, never feel safe, flawed and unfair up system
great environment to work in especially under pressure
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
an average day at Spence is busy but easy going. the best part of the day is when a client makes a new order. the look on their face makes the job worthwhile.
Don't have much good to say about this company
Diamond Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2015
The sales approach is rather archaic. The atmosphere is too competitive, such that people don't get along well. It is all shiny outside, but inside is rather poorly run.
The best place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2015
it is such a tight family unit at Spence. everyone helps one another out and the environment is very welcoming. even on busy days everyone pulls together to ensure that the day runs as smoothly as possible. Spence is the place to work.
Pros
discounts
Cons
sometimes REALLY busy days
Nice Place to work
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 August 2014
Great atmosphere and place to work at. Lots to learn and very busy place
Fantastic Work Culture
Front Desk Manager/Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta20 August 2014
In a typical day at work I would process the receiving and prepare the shipping, as nothing was made or repaired directly at the store we would always be receiving and shipping order to and from our studio in Vancouver. I would process all e-mails and phone calls that came into the store as well to ensure that all orders and customer requests were handled in a timely manner. Front desk would offer sales support to the Diamond Consultants as well if it became busy, as well as process the payments and the pick ups of client's orders. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was ensuring that all the client's were helped in finding what they were looking for. Being able to converse and get to know people and be apart of their most exciting time was very enjoyable but could also hold its stressful moments if it was difficult to find what the client had in mind.
Pros
sense of fulfillment
Challenging and rewarding
Vice-President of Operations for Canada (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2014
1. Reviewed sales trends for the week, month for all Canadian stores.
2. Developed marketing strategies to increase sales.
3. Reviewed sales , pnl and profitability with district managers.
4. Traveled to all areas of the country to help support sales training and development.
5. Worked with charities to help support the community.
Pros
Fast moving business
Cons
Travel
Fun to work with diamonds
SALES - MANAGEMENT -DIAMOND CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Vancouver, North York, Langley1 March 2013
Training from 9 - 9:30 am, roll playing. Setting up show cases until opening at 10am. Operating on the "up" system, following a scripted presentation from door to door. Sorting proto types and re-filling showcases.

I became a Certified Diamondtologist, learning everything about diamonds.

I had the opportunity to be managed by one of the best, as well as one of the most in-effective managers. I learned from both of them.

The co-workers within the branch, as well as across country became friends, and remain so to this day.

The hardest part of the job was memorizing the script, and taping 2 presentations to critique each week.

The most enjoyable part was working with diamonds and helping clients into the next phase of their relationships.
Pros
working with diamonds.
Cons
long hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spence Diamonds. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4