Spectra Energy Employee Reviews

very good job experiance
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Fort sanjohn24 October 2017
loved it, it was good experience and it was important to learn lots of things in the industry of petroleum, i wish i repeat that experience in any other company
Was a great place to work
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2017
Worked with a great team of dedicated employees and long-term contractors at Spectra Energy for the 4 years I was there. We all enjoyed what I considered to be a good working environment with a reasonable Job Work/Life Balance.
Pros
Good work environment, excellent salary and benefits
Cons
None worth mentioning
Great people to work with
Project Controls Cost Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2017
Great place to work; Good balance and stability. Many opportunities for volunteering for various causes. Good work life balance. Well managed. Opportunities to work on various pipeline expansion projects.
Great people who are willing to help out
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Taylor, BC3 May 2017
I found Spectra Energy people the best group I have ever work with. They go out of their way to assist one with an problem.
Very one was pleasant and happy to be working at Spectra. From the Director down, all were very helpful and fun to work with.
Pros
Good work environment and pleasant people
Cons
Management should devote more into developing equipment data base
I loved my job
Summer Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC3 May 2017
I absolutely loved working at spectra energy. All the guys made my co-worker and i feel really comfortable with the tasks that we were assigned to do.
Management has changed the environment
Contract Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2017
Although Spectra was at one time, a thriving, fast paced and challenging environment; the change of management may be contributing to the lackluster environment that now remains.
Good company, unlucky if you get stuck with bad managers
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 February 2017
The company as a whole is very good. Good work culture, good practices, challenging work. Company has a bad habit of hiring very weak and poor managers who end up driving out good employees. HR is useless for support and do not look out for best interest of employees. At least employees are compensated well.
Manager (Current Employee) –  BC21 February 2017
Good people, good pay & benefits. I enjoy working here it is a good place to work. If you're lucky enough to get a job offer I would take it
Excellent workers and overall team atmosphere
Millwright Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC11 November 2016
Was an excellent experience to work with such professionals.
Safety was always first and foremost.
Was a casual Operator for a year and everyone made us feel like family. Albeit the Black Sheep. :)
Great workplace and people.
Application Developer/SCADA and Measurement (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2016
Good atmosphere and culture but has gotten worse lately due to viewing contractors as temporary workers. Cooperation and communication has gotten worse due to morale issues with layoffs, merger.
Pros
knowledgeable co-workers
Cons
Bad morale lately, mostly due to resource prices, cutbacks
A good place to work with lots of resources, opportunities and support.
Contractor Management Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
Spectra Energy is a good place to work. In the 11 years I worked for the company I gained a lot of experience in the gas transmission industry. I was able to work at every one of their main gas plants as well as most of the smaller facilities and transmission stations. They encouraged and paid for education to improve my knowledge base in the field of health and safety management
Pros
Supporteed knowledge improvement
There was always plenty of work to do with variety.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
There was plenty of variety in the job and a lot to learn.

The expectation is to learn on your own with minimal assistance.

Co-workers are wonderful and very helpful when they have time.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible work hours, great people
Cons
Processes and training need to be improved.
Great people
Mailroom Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2016
The work environment was good when I first started, however started to deteriorate when the manager started to gain more power.

I would have stayed and taken over the managerial position, but I did not agree with the current manager's opinions.
Pros
People
Cons
Manager
Changing with with the industry
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 January 2016
Spectra has changed from a BC based pipeline and process company to a Houston based multinational company. That change brings all the plusses and minuses that you would expect
Positive work environment with good benefits
Damage Prevention (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 January 2016
Excellent company to work for, strategically positioned, safety focused and ethical. Opportunities for professional growth, and a team oriented environment.
A great place to work
Senior Financial Analyst, Strategic Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2015
I started in the project construction department as project financial analyst. Here I worked with several project managers refining the monthly actual, forecasting and final project costing model.

Working with the teams was a fantastic experience and learning tool on how pipelines, compression stations, metering stations and processing plants are built and operated.

As my duties expanded to working with Business Development I was rewarded by joining the department. This was the greatest opportunity for my career. I learned about economic modelling, worked with every department in supporting project development to implementation, Monte Carlo risk modelling and assessments and worked with some of the brightest minds in the business.

Supporting the team that set up the Project Management Office, then guiding teams through the process was a fantastic experience.

I was afforded the opportunity to work with senior management up to and including the CEO and her management team, which started to develop my communication skills from the layman to top management.

The hardest part of the job was ensuring I had the time management skills to address the many duties I was awarded.

Of course the most enjoyable part of the role was the many great people I worked with, the new skills I was offered, and the endless support and opportunities for career advancement.
Pros
Opportunity, people, support and working culture
Cons
Phenominal place to work. Professional people and a good internal team environment.
Millwright for backfill/vacations (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, B.C.5 October 2015
Was intimidating at first but the Team Atmosphere and the Safety Program was second to none. Took far more with me than I expecting. Hats Off to the employees at Spectra Energy Fort Nelson.
Pros
Good Team Structure
Cons
Not there any more.
Experience is relative
Technical Workforce Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 May 2015
Experience depends greatly on who you work for, some managers are great to work for while others are not so great.

Just like any other company.
Pros
Great company to work for.
Cons
Market Sensitive.
Decent place to work - good environment overall
Project Controls Cost Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta12 March 2015
Nice environment to work in; at this time, there is limited project work due to projects on hold or completely cancelled.
Great team to work with
Project Execution Field Health & Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  BC12 February 2015
A typical day:

Assuring the owner that various Prime Contractors were admirably following their HSE Program while protecting several multi million dollar investments in facility and pipeline projects including: the Aiken Creek revitalization; the Highway Plant expansion and subsequent Flowsplitter and NPS-12 Pipeline projects; two shut down activities for the Jedney Plant facility as well as the 30" Mainline Class upgrade through the Rocky Mountains.
Pros
Long hours allowing for freedom to do what needs to be done

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectra Energy. Our community is ready to answer.