Spectra Energy

Spectra Energy Employee Reviews

There was always plenty of work to do with variety.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
There was plenty of variety in the job and a lot to learn.

The expectation is to learn on your own with minimal assistance.

Co-workers are wonderful and very helpful when they have time.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible work hours, great people
Cons
Processes and training need to be improved.
A good place to work with lots of resources, opportunities and support.
Contractor Management Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
Spectra Energy is a good place to work. In the 11 years I worked for the company I gained a lot of experience in the gas transmission industry. I was able to work at every one of their main gas plants as well as most of the smaller facilities and transmission stations. They encouraged and paid for education to improve my knowledge base in the field of health and safety management
Pros
Supporteed knowledge improvement
Great workplace and people.
Application Developer/SCADA and Measurement (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2016
Good atmosphere and culture but has gotten worse lately due to viewing contractors as temporary workers. Cooperation and communication has gotten worse due to morale issues with layoffs, merger.
Pros
knowledgeable co-workers
Cons
Bad morale lately, mostly due to resource prices, cutbacks
Gas Processing
Sr. Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC11 February 2014
Typical day at work: meetings, walk around the plant site, planning & Scheduling work, order materials, SAP data entering, create PM plans and task lists.

Learn the equipment, SAP software updates

Management was ok but was not easy to talk with

Co-worker there in Planning Department was not that helpful, always finding fault in something, wasn't good at communicating. The co-workers (tradesman) for the plant as a whole were awesome, very informative and easy to get along with.

The hardest part of the job was trying to work with one in particular Planner

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with SAP and the Trades people on a daily basis.
Pros
SAP knowledge training, not far to drive to get to plant, great health benefits
Cons
working with individuals that don't want to be part of a team, lack of communication with management
Great people
Mailroom Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2016
The work environment was good when I first started, however started to deteriorate when the manager started to gain more power.

I would have stayed and taken over the managerial position, but I did not agree with the current manager's opinions.
Pros
People
Cons
Manager
A great place to work
Senior Financial Analyst, Strategic Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2015
I started in the project construction department as project financial analyst. Here I worked with several project managers refining the monthly actual, forecasting and final project costing model.

Working with the teams was a fantastic experience and learning tool on how pipelines, compression stations, metering stations and processing plants are built and operated.

As my duties expanded to working with Business Development I was rewarded by joining the department. This was the greatest opportunity for my career. I learned about economic modelling, worked with every department in supporting project development to implementation, Monte Carlo risk modelling and assessments and worked with some of the brightest minds in the business.

Supporting the team that set up the Project Management Office, then guiding teams through the process was a fantastic experience.

I was afforded the opportunity to work with senior management up to and including the CEO and her management team, which started to develop my communication skills from the layman to top management.

The hardest part of the job was ensuring I had the time management skills to address the many duties I was awarded.

Of course the most enjoyable part of the role was the many great people I worked with, the new skills I was offered, and the endless support and opportunities for career advancement.
Pros
Opportunity, people, support and working culture
Cons
Positive work environment with good benefits
Damage Prevention (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 January 2016
Excellent company to work for, strategically positioned, safety focused and ethical. Opportunities for professional growth, and a team oriented environment.
Changing with with the industry
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 January 2016
Spectra has changed from a BC based pipeline and process company to a Houston based multinational company. That change brings all the plusses and minuses that you would expect
average company
Director, Communications (Current Employee) –  Calgary24 January 2014
average place to work; average salary; some opportunities to learn
Great team to work with
Project Execution Field Health & Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  BC12 February 2015
A typical day:

Assuring the owner that various Prime Contractors were admirably following their HSE Program while protecting several multi million dollar investments in facility and pipeline projects including: the Aiken Creek revitalization; the Highway Plant expansion and subsequent Flowsplitter and NPS-12 Pipeline projects; two shut down activities for the Jedney Plant facility as well as the 30" Mainline Class upgrade through the Rocky Mountains.
Pros
Long hours allowing for freedom to do what needs to be done
Phenominal place to work. Professional people and a good internal team environment.
Millwright for backfill/vacations (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, B.C.5 October 2015
Was intimidating at first but the Team Atmosphere and the Safety Program was second to none. Took far more with me than I expecting. Hats Off to the employees at Spectra Energy Fort Nelson.
Pros
Good Team Structure
Cons
Not there any more.
document control at Spectra Energy
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2014
Typical day is checking email to see who requires work. Prioritize email on importance. Always get the Transmittal out if required by engineering. Make sure date and data is on transmittal properly. After sending out transmittal. create folders of transmittal and put into SharePoint. Update a register of all the data and also send out confirmation to other companies that we have received their transmittal and approved the data.
Pros
Laptop computer
Cons
Lack of training by management. You have to figure it out yourself.
Long established, socially and environmentally responsible
Manager Environmental Permitting & Regulation (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2013
Spectra Energy operates the largest natural gas gathering, processing and transmission system in Western Canada and is well positioned to take advantage of the growth in unconventional natural gas production in Northeastern British Columbia. The company sets high standards internally for integrity and operating responsibility and recognizes the importance of a proactive, transparent and inclusive approach to stakeholders and communities.
Mailroom procedures, office decision making, creating and updating documents
Mailroom Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2012
Organized conferences, reception coverage and arranged catering deliveries
Budgeted and calculated financial summaries
Entered end of day and monthly mail statistics
-Trained mailroom and receptionists for positions
-Updated Word documents, Excel spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations
-Assisted in office decisions and new procedures
Pros
spectra employees were great to work with and for.
Cons
mailroom manager was inept.
Experience is relative
Technical Workforce Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 May 2015
Experience depends greatly on who you work for, some managers are great to work for while others are not so great.

Just like any other company.
Pros
Great company to work for.
Cons
Market Sensitive.
Amazing
Tower Mechanic, Laborer (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB31 July 2014
Easy to get along with co workers which made work enjoyable
Good first Alberta experience
Management got job done but also very friendly
Learned more in debt on my certifications by actually applying them during the shutdown
good pay, great schedule
Journeyman Millwright (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 August 2014
wide variety of equipment to work on, good work schedule.
excellent work schedule, but poor pension.

hardest part of the job is dealing with poor management decisions

great shop of guys to work with
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
pension
Very productive and family, community was very important.
Contracts Measurement, CAPPA Certificate (Former Employee) –  Calgary17 December 2014
Fun place to work. Everyone had each other back, regarding the community events and departments work load. Out side of work we continue getting together for various events. Team work, and team players and support, was very important to us.
Decent place to work - good environment overall
Project Controls Cost Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta12 March 2015
Nice environment to work in; at this time, there is limited project work due to projects on hold or completely cancelled.
Environmental inspection
Environmental Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC8 May 2012
The job is to ensure the rules and regulation governing pipeline are followed and understood. Also ensure the restoration of streams and slopes are done correctly.
Pros
the pay
Cons
the lifestyle