Special Counsel Employee Reviews

Job didn't exist.
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, AR29 September 2015
The contract job was supposed to start tomorrow. After spending a day filling out paperwork, multiple phone calls and emails - the job disappeared.

I was told that the attorney decided to send their own paralegals to do the work and that the job was now gone.

I was told this AFTER I submitted all the sensitive information that goes along with starting a new job.

The person I spoke to in Atlanta was nice. That is the only good thing.
Great Job Placement Agency
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CA27 August 2015
I have been temping with them for about 2 years and they are great. Lots of support and information. I highly recommend signing up with them.
Pros
Great support, work hard to find temp and perm jobs.
Executive Never Aware of Office Concerns
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL28 July 2015
Horrible communication up the ladder. Disrespect and lack of consideration for individual who work 9+ hours. No supervision till things go wrong and real problems overcome the office culture. Uneven balance of staff productivity, some work really hard (sad) and other are lazy consuming the $$ of the office. Sales executives have personal problems or are too dumb to retrieve business and deliver on it. Business reputation has diminished over time and competitors have gained the upper hand of the market.
Pros
Cons
Workload unbalanced, Many Distractions, No Structure
Exciting work place
Attorney Document Review (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD6 July 2015
A typical work day starts at 8:00am. The company has excellent supervision policy as well as superb interaction with Attorneys. There is a good dinning room and technical staff are highly functional.
Job wok/ Life balance is satisfactory
Compensation/ Benefit is low
Job security/advancement is not certain
The company has good management and work culture
Pros
Good work environmet
Cons
small pay rate
Great environment
Contract Attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA22 April 2015
If you're going to be staring at documents all day, this is the place to do it. The atmosphere is laid back and schedules are flexible. The attorneys get along well and work together nicely. Management is friendly and works hard to get good projects to keep us busy. Last but not least, they offer a 401K!
Pros
The office is in a beautiful hotel
Exceptional Experience
Paralegal / Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA21 April 2015
I was a newbie paralegal, yet Special Counsel still decided to work with me. Not only that, they were able to get me positions at both mid-tier and top lawfirms, as well as fortune 500 companies! Initially, I had sent them my resume and then followed up with a call. I spoke with one of their recruiters who worked with me to find a time to meet and told me about Special Counsel and their process; they do require testing (a problem solving quiz and typing test) which they told me was to check my skills, strengths/weaknesses. During my interview they listened to my needs, told me what to expect with my legal experience, and were very friendly and honest. Afterwards they checked my references and never submitted my resume to one of their clients without my approval first– this was refreshing because I felt like they had my best interest at heart. They were able to place me in temporary positions as well as temp positions where their clients hired me directly. I only have positive things to say about the Special Counsel team; I feel like if you are a hard worker, do well on your testing, and really want to work, they will be able to find you a job. They will save you time instead of job hunting on your own and I highly recommend them!
Pros
great staff; no cost on you; best way to get your foot into legal
Cons
nothing
Known for posting non-existent jobs
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA16 January 2015
Special Counsel is known for resume gathering by posting non-existent jobs. They also do not review your background and experience thoroughly, consequently they place candidates in jobs they are not qualified for just in order to make their fee. They are nothing more than flesh peddlers. Most of their client's are bottom-tier firms who advertise for the same position every 2 or 3 months on their own, because they cannot keep paralegals/attorneys for any considerable length of time so then they end up farming out the job to SC. If you turn down a position, or if a position is not a fit for you and SC loses the fee, they then want nothing to do with you! SC staff is somewhat unprofessional and incompetent. I could go on and on. I am amazed this firm is still in business!
Pros
Cons
Many
Good environment for doc review
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC7 January 2015
Look, if you've done doc review, you know that it's all about the same. This place is as good as any. I'm not a fan of the restroom facilities and the project manager wanders around whistling and singing. Nothing deal breaking here and it pays the bills.
Like working on a contract basis, because it is always different.
Legal Assistant - Litigation (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL2 October 2014
Working for Special Counsel is rewarding because I meet a lot of new employers and I have an opportunity to land a long term, permanent position.
Pros
The assignments are always different, so working is not monotonous.
Cons
It is not a permanent position, which I am looking for.
Good place to gain legal experience
Document Reviewer / Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD23 May 2014
A good place to work on temporary projects in the legal field. They are very upfront about duration of assignments and rate of pay. Helpful in looking for opportunities for you.
very congnial teammates and management
Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 April 2014
Management tried very best to make workplace comfortable for workers
Pros
flexibility, free coffee, tea, occasional treats
Cons
Not challenging but pays well
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 April 2014
Spend your days staring at millions of documents on a computer screen, looking for small nuggets that need to be redacted. Do this for two years. Get compensated well, but ultimately a contractual job with no benefits.
great
Foreclosure Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VA4 April 2014
Great Company to work for, I would reccommend it!!!!!!!!1

Loved the people and the environment, got offered a full time position through this company
Pros
great
Cons
grwat
Legal recruiting firm that services large firm clients.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL27 March 2014
Typical day of work will revolve around a project based assignment. Projects can vary tremendously in length and scope. On a typical day with this particular project we were tasked with sorting through hundreds of physical files a day from boxes that hadn't been opened since the 40s, 50s, 60s and up to the 90s.

Hardest part of the job was making sense of handwriting from so long ago and finding the relevant key words to make a document responsive to our search. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with documents that had so much style. The type fonts, the stationary, the letterhead what a fantastic opportunity.
Pros
Free Lunches and Dinner
Cons
Short Breaks, Lots of dust from old files and having a dust allergy, short term assignment.
unresponsive company-
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy MI21 March 2014
This company contacted me for a position. The placement was short term of course but I did not receive any feedback from them. They would not return phone calls or emails. They make promises but fail to attempt to live up to them. They gave me incorrect information regarding the pay system.

I am now starting to believe they get paid for bringing in candidates and not necessarily placing them.

I would advise to utilize a different agency especially if you have limited experience.
Pros
The company where I was placed was professional and friendly and the pay was adequate.
Cons
the temp agency is unproductive and unresponsive
What's In It For me
Legal (Former Employee) –  Virginia31 January 2014
They are more interested in getting their commission from placing a canidate than finding appropriate positions for their canidates and they lack the interest and commitment to getting to know you and marketing your skill sets appropriately. They treat you like cattle... herd em and milk em
Cons
Quanity over Quality; no loyalty and only care about what is best for them
Forget about being called if you are over 50
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Miami, Florida26 January 2014
I have 20 plus years of legal experience. Interviewed at their Miami office. As usual, I sent an email to the interviewer thanking her for her time... I did not even receive a courteous response or call. Yet, I've seen many posts for so-called available positions that I would be more than qualified for. I dealt with Special Counsel many years ago, when they were new in the market and this was not the case. Of course, I dealt with someone my age at the time and I was younger.
Good people, little job security.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN17 January 2014
It's a temp gig, so there really is no depending on having work on any given day. The people are nice and the atmosphere is great for employees.
Laid back but enduring work schedule.
Attorney at Law (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX17 January 2014
A typical day lasted about 10-14 hours. Regular, small breaks and great group of people to work with.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Work sometimes repetitive.
Legal recruiting and services company
E-discovery attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA17 December 2013
Great management and work/life balance make this an excellent place to work. While the positions offered are primarily temporary, there is a steady flow of work and little downtime.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed work environment
Cons
Low pay, unpredictable project durations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Special Counsel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8