Special Counsel

Special Counsel Employee Reviews

Like working on a contract basis, because it is always different.
Legal Assistant - Litigation (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 2, 2014
Working for Special Counsel is rewarding because I meet a lot of new employers and I have an opportunity to land a long term, permanent position.
Pros
the assignments are always different, so working is not monotonous.
Cons
it is not a permanent position, which i am looking for.
A great place to start as an entry level legal professional
Temp (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2013
It takes time to find entry level employment. Special Counsel placed me with a great company and in between assignments they let me know that they are always keeping me in mind for new opportunities. They ask for reviews from the employers. The feed back gives me confidence in my work and lets me know if there is some thing I can improve on.
What's In It For me
Legal (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 31, 2014
They are more interested in getting their commission from placing a canidate than finding appropriate positions for their canidates and they lack the interest and commitment to getting to know you and marketing your skill sets appropriately. They treat you like cattle... herd em and milk em
Cons
quanity over quality; no loyalty and only care about what is best for them
A temporary employment agency where the checks cleared
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 20, 2013
Special Counsel is a temporary employment agency that sends lawyers on assignment to firms that need to complete document review for discovery. This company paid on time and was attentive to people's needs, if they would arise.

The hardest part of the job was that you were nothing more than a temporary employee that could be released on a moment's notice. This is not the fault of Special Counsel, it's just part of the "temp life". Oddly enough, the best part of a temp job is usually the co-workers. There's a weird sort of gallows humor bonding that goes on between the varied gaggle of lawyers that get scooped by these assignments. The "temp life" is a strange place. I wouldn't say "fun" but strange.
Pros
not much. get paid on time
Cons
no security, no healthcare, client constantly changing rules, metrics
Helpful; gave me an opportunity for work.
Licensed Attorney Document Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 6, 2012
The placement director who hired me was very kind and helpful with my initial placement but did not seem to know how to place me again or secure additional work for me after the new client law firm cut short the work assignment for a number of Special Counsel's temporaries such as myself. Although I was new to document review work and led to believe by the law firm that I was doing excellent work, I was let go. The placement director did encourage me by stating that the firm had let go of several seasoned Special Counsel workers as well. Unfortunately, nothing has been done on my behalf since and the placement director in fact left which I did not know until after several persistent calls before speaking with his assistant who said I should have received an email which I did not.
Special Counsel? Or Not So Special?
Unemployed and Ticking (Former Employee) –  Unemployed and TickingMay 29, 2012
This "headhunter" has never placed me on a single assignment after having dealt with them on and off for about 5 + years and two recruiters later. As of late, the recruiter I am "supposed" to be dealing with (over a year now) won't even return my calls. Waste of time!
Cons
never got placed on a single assignment
Legal recruiting and services company
E-discovery attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 17, 2013
Great management and work/life balance make this an excellent place to work. While the positions offered are primarily temporary, there is a steady flow of work and little downtime.
Pros
flexible hours, relaxed work environment
Cons
low pay, unpredictable project durations
A Uniquely Unprofessional Agency
Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2013
If you want to work as a document reviewer, you may want to stay away from Special Counsel's Pittsburgh office. First, the agency advertises for nonexistent positions. Second, when Special Counsel finally does land a project, their scatterbrained placement personnel change the start date at least 3 times. Third, they play favorites particularly with young male attorneys who provide them with a better chance of a temp-to-perm placement. Unlike other agencies, you seldom see practitioners over 40 in their work group. Special Counsel has lost many projects in the past and has definitely not upheld the professionalism of their predecessor in interest, Legal Network. No one likes deceptive advertising in this job market and Special Counsel ought to be severely reprimanded for playing "fast-and-loose" with licensed professionals.
Pros
attractive work environment
Cons
fails to adequately supervise workers
Not challenging but pays well
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Spend your days staring at millions of documents on a computer screen, looking for small nuggets that need to be redacted. Do this for two years. Get compensated well, but ultimately a contractual job with no benefits.
Right
Paralegal Temp. (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioJune 6, 2013
I remember when I met the boss of the recruiter that placed me, the recruiters boss was extremely unprofessional ,but I guess that goes with the area. I would not recommend this company in the Cleveland Ohio area to anybody.
Pros
pay was good
Good place to gain legal experience
Document Reviewer / Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2014
A good place to work on temporary projects in the legal field. They are very upfront about duration of assignments and rate of pay. Helpful in looking for opportunities for you.
Good people to work with
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaFebruary 8, 2012
Great company and people. This is a temp agency and they have NEVER sent me on any assignment that wasn't with a good company with good people.
Pros
assignments are great
Cons
temp work is not always regular
+++
Temporary Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 20, 2012
Always had jobs for me, both temporary and temp to perm. My contact person was very good in returning phone calls and keeping me up to date. I would rate this company as +++
Pros
totally great to work with
Exceptional Experience
Paralegal / Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 21, 2015
I was a newbie paralegal, yet Special Counsel still decided to work with me. Not only that, they were able to get me positions at both mid-tier and top lawfirms, as well as fortune 500 companies! Initially, I had sent them my resume and then followed up with a call. I spoke with one of their recruiters who worked with me to find a time to meet and told me about Special Counsel and their process; they do require testing (a problem solving quiz and typing test) which they told me was to check my skills, strengths/weaknesses. During my interview they listened to my needs, told me what to expect with my legal experience, and were very friendly and honest. Afterwards they checked my references and never submitted my resume to one of their clients without my approval first– this was refreshing because I felt like they had my best interest at heart. They were able to place me in temporary positions as well as temp positions where their clients hired me directly. I only have positive things to say about the Special Counsel team; I feel like if you are a hard worker, do well on your testing, and really want to work, they will be able to find you a job. They will save you time instead of job hunting on your own and I highly recommend them!
Pros
great staff; no cost on you; best way to get your foot into legal
Cons
nothing
learning experience, networking, and completing objective.
Attorney at law (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJune 22, 2012
Very exciting a fun place to work. Nice work atmosphere. really enjoyed the assignment.
Pros
having fun while making money
very congnial teammates and management
Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Management tried very best to make workplace comfortable for workers
Pros
flexibility, free coffee, tea, occasional treats
Good people, little job security.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2014
It's a temp gig, so there really is no depending on having work on any given day. The people are nice and the atmosphere is great for employees.
Laid back but enduring work schedule.
Attorney at Law (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2014
A typical day lasted about 10-14 hours. Regular, small breaks and great group of people to work with.
Pros
great pay.
Cons
work sometimes repetitive.
great
Foreclosure Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 4, 2014
Great Company to work for, I would reccommend it!!!!!!!!1

Loved the people and the environment, got offered a full time position through this company
Pros
great
Cons
grwat
Don't waste your time
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 25, 2012
Will not return calls. No follow up. Save yourself a headache and move onto the next placement firm.
Cons
they don't care about human beings

2.8