Special Counsel Employee Reviews

Known for posting non-existent jobs
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA16 January 2015
Special Counsel is known for resume gathering by posting non-existent jobs. They also do not review your background and experience thoroughly, consequently they place candidates in jobs they are not qualified for just in order to make their fee. They are nothing more than flesh peddlers. Most of their client's are bottom-tier firms who advertise for the same position every 2 or 3 months on their own, because they cannot keep paralegals/attorneys for any considerable length of time so then they end up farming out the job to SC. If you turn down a position, or if a position is not a fit for you and SC loses the fee, they then want nothing to do with you! SC staff is somewhat unprofessional and incompetent. I could go on and on. I am amazed this firm is still in business!
Pros
Cons
Many
Good environment for doc review
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC7 January 2015
Look, if you've done doc review, you know that it's all about the same. This place is as good as any. I'm not a fan of the restroom facilities and the project manager wanders around whistling and singing. Nothing deal breaking here and it pays the bills.
Like working on a contract basis, because it is always different.
Legal Assistant - Litigation (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL2 October 2014
Working for Special Counsel is rewarding because I meet a lot of new employers and I have an opportunity to land a long term, permanent position.
Pros
The assignments are always different, so working is not monotonous.
Cons
It is not a permanent position, which I am looking for.
Good place to gain legal experience
Document Reviewer / Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD23 May 2014
A good place to work on temporary projects in the legal field. They are very upfront about duration of assignments and rate of pay. Helpful in looking for opportunities for you.
very congnial teammates and management
Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 April 2014
Management tried very best to make workplace comfortable for workers
Pros
flexibility, free coffee, tea, occasional treats
Cons
Not challenging but pays well
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 April 2014
Spend your days staring at millions of documents on a computer screen, looking for small nuggets that need to be redacted. Do this for two years. Get compensated well, but ultimately a contractual job with no benefits.
great
Foreclosure Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VA4 April 2014
Great Company to work for, I would reccommend it!!!!!!!!1

Loved the people and the environment, got offered a full time position through this company
Pros
great
Cons
grwat
Legal recruiting firm that services large firm clients.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL27 March 2014
Typical day of work will revolve around a project based assignment. Projects can vary tremendously in length and scope. On a typical day with this particular project we were tasked with sorting through hundreds of physical files a day from boxes that hadn't been opened since the 40s, 50s, 60s and up to the 90s.

Hardest part of the job was making sense of handwriting from so long ago and finding the relevant key words to make a document responsive to our search. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with documents that had so much style. The type fonts, the stationary, the letterhead what a fantastic opportunity.
Pros
Free Lunches and Dinner
Cons
Short Breaks, Lots of dust from old files and having a dust allergy, short term assignment.
unresponsive company-
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy MI21 March 2014
This company contacted me for a position. The placement was short term of course but I did not receive any feedback from them. They would not return phone calls or emails. They make promises but fail to attempt to live up to them. They gave me incorrect information regarding the pay system.

I am now starting to believe they get paid for bringing in candidates and not necessarily placing them.

I would advise to utilize a different agency especially if you have limited experience.
Pros
The company where I was placed was professional and friendly and the pay was adequate.
Cons
the temp agency is unproductive and unresponsive
What's In It For me
Legal (Former Employee) –  Virginia31 January 2014
They are more interested in getting their commission from placing a canidate than finding appropriate positions for their canidates and they lack the interest and commitment to getting to know you and marketing your skill sets appropriately. They treat you like cattle... herd em and milk em
Cons
Quanity over Quality; no loyalty and only care about what is best for them
Forget about being called if you are over 50
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Miami, Florida26 January 2014
I have 20 plus years of legal experience. Interviewed at their Miami office. As usual, I sent an email to the interviewer thanking her for her time... I did not even receive a courteous response or call. Yet, I've seen many posts for so-called available positions that I would be more than qualified for. I dealt with Special Counsel many years ago, when they were new in the market and this was not the case. Of course, I dealt with someone my age at the time and I was younger.
Good people, little job security.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN17 January 2014
It's a temp gig, so there really is no depending on having work on any given day. The people are nice and the atmosphere is great for employees.
Laid back but enduring work schedule.
Attorney at Law (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX17 January 2014
A typical day lasted about 10-14 hours. Regular, small breaks and great group of people to work with.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Work sometimes repetitive.
Legal recruiting and services company
E-discovery attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA17 December 2013
Great management and work/life balance make this an excellent place to work. While the positions offered are primarily temporary, there is a steady flow of work and little downtime.
Pros
Flexible hours, relaxed work environment
Cons
Low pay, unpredictable project durations
A great place to start as an entry level legal professional
Temp (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN14 October 2013
It takes time to find entry level employment. Special Counsel placed me with a great company and in between assignments they let me know that they are always keeping me in mind for new opportunities. They ask for reviews from the employers. The feed back gives me confidence in my work and lets me know if there is some thing I can improve on.
A temporary employment agency where the checks cleared
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX20 August 2013
Special Counsel is a temporary employment agency that sends lawyers on assignment to firms that need to complete document review for discovery. This company paid on time and was attentive to people's needs, if they would arise.

The hardest part of the job was that you were nothing more than a temporary employee that could be released on a moment's notice. This is not the fault of Special Counsel, it's just part of the "temp life". Oddly enough, the best part of a temp job is usually the co-workers. There's a weird sort of gallows humor bonding that goes on between the varied gaggle of lawyers that get scooped by these assignments. The "temp life" is a strange place. I wouldn't say "fun" but strange.
Pros
Not much. Get paid on time
Cons
No security, no healthcare, client constantly changing rules, metrics
Special Counsel - Raleigh, NC
Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC22 June 2013
I have been black-balled by Special Counsel's new management in Raleigh, NC. I was unhappy with the assignment, but determined to complete it so as to uphold the commitment and reputation of Special Counsel. I inquired as to the time remaining on the assignment which was not well received by the then recruiter. The recruiter left Special Counsel the same week, and I was instructed to direct any questions to the new director. I informed the old recruiter and new director of my intent NOT to extend the assignment past the 3-year commitment. The employer terminated the assignment one-week early. I was ecstatic because it was the assignment from hell. The attorney I worked for had gone through so many paralegals prior to my joining, it was pathetic. Truth is, I should have left that position two months earlier. There had been conversations between Special Counsel and a new firm which was my referral -- not Special Counsel. I worked that position 3 months and the position ended. I contacted Special Counsel to inquire about work and was informed that I left two positions unfavorably and thus was not a good fit for Special Counsel. The truth of the matter is that Special Counsel did not protect my best interest as a client, and had the audacity to pass judgment without facts. I'm elated that today I have the opportunity to work without giving Special Counsel a lion's share of the profits!
Pros
Jobs Listing
Cons
Incompetent Management
Right
Paralegal Temp.  (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, Ohio6 June 2013
I remember when I met the boss of the recruiter that placed me, the recruiters boss was extremely unprofessional ,but I guess that goes with the area. I would not recommend this company in the Cleveland Ohio area to anybody.
Pros
Pay was good
No So Special - Unethical practices
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, Texas18 April 2013
I had heard about questionable business practices from other professionals placed by this former Ajilon firm. Surprised when the Director called me to relay that my colleague was very dissatisfied and asking Ajilon for help with placement elsewhere. I was asked to give the inside scoop which I found inappropriate and reported to my manager. When confronted the director denied it and has since tried to damage my reputation. Beware of the San Antonio office.
Pros
i had very good experience up until this incident.
Cons
blacklisted for reporting unethical behavior.
A Uniquely Unprofessional Agency
Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA13 March 2013
If you want to work as a document reviewer, you may want to stay away from Special Counsel's Pittsburgh office. First, the agency advertises for nonexistent positions. Second, when Special Counsel finally does land a project, their scatterbrained placement personnel change the start date at least 3 times. Third, they play favorites particularly with young male attorneys who provide them with a better chance of a temp-to-perm placement. Unlike other agencies, you seldom see practitioners over 40 in their work group. Special Counsel has lost many projects in the past and has definitely not upheld the professionalism of their predecessor in interest, Legal Network. No one likes deceptive advertising in this job market and Special Counsel ought to be severely reprimanded for playing "fast-and-loose" with licensed professionals.
Pros
attractive work environment
Cons
fails to adequately supervise workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Special Counsel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8