Special Counsel Employee Reviews

No So Special - Unethical practices
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasApril 18, 2013
I had heard about questionable business practices from other professionals placed by this former Ajilon firm. Surprised when the Director called me to relay that my colleague was very dissatisfied and asking Ajilon for help with placement elsewhere. I was asked to give the inside scoop which I found inappropriate and reported to my manager. When confronted the director denied it and has since tried to damage my reputation. Beware of the San Antonio office.
Pros
i had very good experience up until this incident.
Cons
blacklisted for reporting unethical behavior.
Good environment for doc review
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2015
Look, if you've done doc review, you know that it's all about the same. This place is as good as any. I'm not a fan of the restroom facilities and the project manager wanders around whistling and singing. Nothing deal breaking here and it pays the bills.
Forget about being called if you are over 50
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Miami, FloridaJanuary 26, 2014
I have 20 plus years of legal experience. Interviewed at their Miami office. As usual, I sent an email to the interviewer thanking her for her time... I did not even receive a courteous response or call. Yet, I've seen many posts for so-called available positions that I would be more than qualified for. I dealt with Special Counsel many years ago, when they were new in the market and this was not the case. Of course, I dealt with someone my age at the time and I was younger.
Contract Placement on multiple projects
Document Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2012
Depending on the client, they have a review center in their office, or I have been placed at the client site directly. Projects range anywhere from 40-80 hours per week, and anywhere from a couple of weeks to many months. Some clients are more cost and review speed conscious than others. Generally very good about returning communications, but uncertainty of project length comes with the territory.
Pros
free lunches some days (every couple of weeks), free parking (if offsite, generally)
Cons
no overtime, rate varies by project, unpredictable project length
Like working on a contract basis, because it is always different.
Legal Assistant - Litigation (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 2, 2014
Working for Special Counsel is rewarding because I meet a lot of new employers and I have an opportunity to land a long term, permanent position.
Pros
the assignments are always different, so working is not monotonous.
Cons
it is not a permanent position, which i am looking for.
very congnial teammates and management
Document Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Management tried very best to make workplace comfortable for workers
Pros
flexibility, free coffee, tea, occasional treats
A great place to start as an entry level legal professional
Temp (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2013
It takes time to find entry level employment. Special Counsel placed me with a great company and in between assignments they let me know that they are always keeping me in mind for new opportunities. They ask for reviews from the employers. The feed back gives me confidence in my work and lets me know if there is some thing I can improve on.
Special Counsel - Raleigh, NC
Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 22, 2013
I have been black-balled by Special Counsel's new management in Raleigh, NC. I was unhappy with the assignment, but determined to complete it so as to uphold the commitment and reputation of Special Counsel. I inquired as to the time remaining on the assignment which was not well received by the then recruiter. The recruiter left Special Counsel the same week, and I was instructed to direct any questions to the new director. I informed the old recruiter and new director of my intent NOT to extend the assignment past the 3-year commitment. The employer terminated the assignment one-week early. I was ecstatic because it was the assignment from hell. The attorney I worked for had gone through so many paralegals prior to my joining, it was pathetic. Truth is, I should have left that position two months earlier. There had been conversations between Special Counsel and a new firm which was my referral -- not Special Counsel. I worked that position 3 months and the position ended. I contacted Special Counsel to inquire about work and was informed that I left two positions unfavorably and thus was not a good fit for Special Counsel. The truth of the matter is that Special Counsel did not protect my best interest as a client, and had the audacity to pass judgment without facts. I'm elated that today I have the opportunity to work without giving Special Counsel a lion's share of the profits!
Pros
jobs listing
Cons
incompetent management
What's In It For me
Legal (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 31, 2014
They are more interested in getting their commission from placing a canidate than finding appropriate positions for their canidates and they lack the interest and commitment to getting to know you and marketing your skill sets appropriately. They treat you like cattle... herd em and milk em
Cons
quanity over quality; no loyalty and only care about what is best for them
Special Counsel? Or Not So Special?
Unemployed and Ticking (Former Employee) –  Unemployed and TickingMay 29, 2012
This "headhunter" has never placed me on a single assignment after having dealt with them on and off for about 5 + years and two recruiters later. As of late, the recruiter I am "supposed" to be dealing with (over a year now) won't even return my calls. Waste of time!
Cons
never got placed on a single assignment

Comment – July 14, 2012

They are being paid to not only PLACE secretaries. They now are being paid to bring in candidates, therefore, they run ads all the time and NEVER PLACE any one nor get them a job, because they run bogus ads. When you respond, they get PAID.

Lease Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2012
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
great
Cons
great

Comment – June 25, 2013

You know I'm looking for quality feedback on this company before I consider them as any kind of employer. Your comments the way you have them written are unintelligable and make zero sense! I can't figure out whether you're protecting them because they are treating you well or if you just don't have good writing skills. Whatever the case may be your comments are not helpful at all which is why everyone said "no" more than "yes". May want to pay more attention to how you say what you need to. Just a friendly tip.

Good place to gain legal experience
Document Reviewer / Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2014
A good place to work on temporary projects in the legal field. They are very upfront about duration of assignments and rate of pay. Helpful in looking for opportunities for you.
Right
Paralegal Temp. (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioJune 6, 2013
I remember when I met the boss of the recruiter that placed me, the recruiters boss was extremely unprofessional ,but I guess that goes with the area. I would not recommend this company in the Cleveland Ohio area to anybody.
Pros
pay was good
Good people to work with
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaFebruary 8, 2012
Great company and people. This is a temp agency and they have NEVER sent me on any assignment that wasn't with a good company with good people.
Pros
assignments are great
Cons
temp work is not always regular
Foreclosure Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 4, 2014
Great Company to work for, I would reccommend it!!!!!!!!1

Loved the people and the environment, got offered a full time position through this company
Pros
great
Cons
grwat
+++
Temporary Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 20, 2012
Always had jobs for me, both temporary and temp to perm. My contact person was very good in returning phone calls and keeping me up to date. I would rate this company as +++
Pros
totally great to work with
learning experience, networking, and completing objective.
Attorney at law (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJune 22, 2012
Very exciting a fun place to work. Nice work atmosphere. really enjoyed the assignment.
Pros
having fun while making money
Laid back but enduring work schedule.
Attorney at Law (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2014
A typical day lasted about 10-14 hours. Regular, small breaks and great group of people to work with.
Pros
great pay.
Cons
work sometimes repetitive.
Good people, little job security.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2014
It's a temp gig, so there really is no depending on having work on any given day. The people are nice and the atmosphere is great for employees.
Don't waste your time
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 25, 2012
Will not return calls. No follow up. Save yourself a headache and move onto the next placement firm.
Cons
they don't care about human beings