Special Counsel

Special Counsel Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place
Attorney at Law (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL24 January 2017
Working at special counsel proved to be a great experience.
We have a very professional work environment with an excellent workplace culture
temp
Temporary Assignment (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJ19 January 2017
I do not have much interaction as they are a temp agency. The people I did talk to were nice. There is not much I can say. I never met anyone that worked there
Good Way To Get Your Foot Into The Door
Administrative Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN13 October 2016
State Of Tennessee - Legal Assistant .
Special Counsel Didn't Really Have Any Knowledge As To What I Was Interviewing For All They Knew Was Where I Was Going To Temp At. It Was About A 2 Week Process To Start At Where I Am Today. But Overall Special Counsel Is A Good Company So Far.
Pros
Positive People, Weekly Pay, Hour Long Lunch Breaks, Wellness Program, Keeping Busy
Temporary assigment
Call Representative, Special Counsel (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA28 September 2016
work on phones all day with taxpayers; professional environment experience; trhe hardest part was the hours because I worked from 9am to 6pm which left me a minimum for work/life balance
Telemarketing in a Costume
Sales (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA30 July 2016
Don't do it! You will find yourself miserable, wearing a costume and telemarketing. There are few jobs/places that I can think of that are worse than working here. Awful. Terrible. Awful.
Pros
They love the color purple.
Cons
Everything-don't do it.
Temporary placement
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA13 July 2016
Decent communication, no effort to find temps anything other than temporary placement. Important to cultivate relationship with placement agents or you'll be left off of assignments. Average pay, average relationships with law firms.
Cons
No job security, no interest in advancing your position
Valuable learning experience
Search Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 July 2016
I learned a lot about generating leads, the hiring process, and maintaining high value relationships. The best part of the job was working with clients and applicants. The hardest part of the job was the high turnover and pressure to be more sales driven that customer driven.
Pros
benefits, balance
Cons
management, no advancement
Untold horrors
paralegal (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC1 June 2016
Special Counsel effectively duped me in a "bait and switch" manner. I applied for a contracts administrator job and was called in about a corporate paralegal position. The law firm offering this role presented a temp-to-perm offer, which I initially declined. The special counsel recruiter insisted it was a great opportunity and that there was no difference between being a special counsel employee and a "permanent" employee with the firm. However, there are some differences: working by the hour vs. salary means you don't get paid for time missed (e.g., drs appointments, etc.); if the firm decides to hire you permanently, you will likely face another waiting period (mine was an additional 60 days) before you are eligible for that firm's insurance or other benefits; the time spent working for a legal recruiter may not be able to be calculated into your total time worked for purposes of unemployment. And on and on. This was only the start of the misinformation. I ended up in a worse position than I was before I met this company. BEWARE.
Pros
Cons
bait and switch, poorly informed about client's policies or lack thereof (in my case, the latter)
Legal Analyst
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC26 May 2016
Horrible and unprofessional
Staff uninformed
Lack support and dedication
Hours are great
Never return calls or emails
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Charlotte staff
Employment company that goes above and beyond.
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH17 April 2016
Special Counsel has great ties with many of the top legal firms in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and their knowledge of their clients allows them to quickly place people in new positions.
Good but not great agency
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NY29 February 2016
I wish I had work. Take too long with the people who work with them to set them up with jobs. Ok agency. They try to find you work.
Pros
Good agency
Cons
Too long to call you back
Good way to get your foot in the door
Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Private8 February 2016
I don't work for Special Counsel specifically because it is a job placement company, but they were able to find me work after I completed my certificate coursework.
Pros
Was able to get work
Cons
Stuck where they place you when you are first starting out.
Contract Work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO26 January 2016
The job was interesting and I learned a few more skills to add to my background. However, because it is contract work it is hard to guess how long a job will last.
Bias, favoritism, and underqaulifying assignments
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA13 January 2016
This company plays games with its applicants. Either they do not call you at all, or they call you to fill an assignment that is way under your qualifying level. The company does not concern itself with your desires and what you desire to fulfill. If you advise them that an assignment is not what you want, they will pull you from "active" to "inactive." This office (Pittsburgh) should realize that word of mouth is very strong, and I will not be referring anyone to this office.
Job didn't exist.
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, AR29 September 2015
The contract job was supposed to start tomorrow. After spending a day filling out paperwork, multiple phone calls and emails - the job disappeared.

I was told that the attorney decided to send their own paralegals to do the work and that the job was now gone.

I was told this AFTER I submitted all the sensitive information that goes along with starting a new job.

The person I spoke to in Atlanta was nice. That is the only good thing.
Cons
ALL
Great Job Placement Agency
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CA27 August 2015
I have been temping with them for about 2 years and they are great. Lots of support and information. I highly recommend signing up with them.
Pros
Great support, work hard to find temp and perm jobs.
Executive Never Aware of Office Concerns
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL28 July 2015
Horrible communication up the ladder. Disrespect and lack of consideration for individual who work 9+ hours. No supervision till things go wrong and real problems overcome the office culture. Uneven balance of staff productivity, some work really hard (sad) and other are lazy consuming the $$ of the office. Sales executives have personal problems or are too dumb to retrieve business and deliver on it. Business reputation has diminished over time and competitors have gained the upper hand of the market.
Pros
Cons
Workload unbalanced, Many Distractions, No Structure
Exciting work place
Attorney Document Review (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD6 July 2015
A typical work day starts at 8:00am. The company has excellent supervision policy as well as superb interaction with Attorneys. There is a good dinning room and technical staff are highly functional.
Job wok/ Life balance is satisfactory
Compensation/ Benefit is low
Job security/advancement is not certain
The company has good management and work culture
Pros
Good work environmet
Cons
small pay rate
Great environment
Contract Attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA22 April 2015
If you're going to be staring at documents all day, this is the place to do it. The atmosphere is laid back and schedules are flexible. The attorneys get along well and work together nicely. Management is friendly and works hard to get good projects to keep us busy. Last but not least, they offer a 401K!
Pros
The office is in a beautiful hotel
Exceptional Experience
Paralegal / Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA21 April 2015
I was a newbie paralegal, yet Special Counsel still decided to work with me. Not only that, they were able to get me positions at both mid-tier and top lawfirms, as well as fortune 500 companies! Initially, I had sent them my resume and then followed up with a call. I spoke with one of their recruiters who worked with me to find a time to meet and told me about Special Counsel and their process; they do require testing (a problem solving quiz and typing test) which they told me was to check my skills, strengths/weaknesses. During my interview they listened to my needs, told me what to expect with my legal experience, and were very friendly and honest. Afterwards they checked my references and never submitted my resume to one of their clients without my approval first– this was refreshing because I felt like they had my best interest at heart. They were able to place me in temporary positions as well as temp positions where their clients hired me directly. I only have positive things to say about the Special Counsel team; I feel like if you are a hard worker, do well on your testing, and really want to work, they will be able to find you a job. They will save you time instead of job hunting on your own and I highly recommend them!
Pros
great staff; no cost on you; best way to get your foot into legal
Cons
nothing

2.8