Special Counsel Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good but not great agency
Records Clerk (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: Good agency
Cons: Too long to call you back
I wish I had work. Take too long with the people who work with them to set them up with jobs. Ok agency. They try to find you work.
Good way to get your foot in the door
Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), PrivateFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Was able to get work
Cons: Stuck where they place you when you are first starting out.
I don't work for Special Counsel specifically because it is a job placement company, but they were able to find me work after I completed my certificate coursework.
Contract Work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 26, 2016
The job was interesting and I learned a few more skills to add to my background. However, because it is contract work it is hard to guess how long a job will last.
Good Pay, But Not a Great Fit
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 26, 2016
Poor management, and overbearing corporate culture. The day-to-day work often went under appreciated and it did not feel like a nurturing environment.
Bias, favoritism, and underqaulifying assignments
Legal Secretary (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2016
This company plays games with its applicants. Either they do not call you at all, or they call you to fill an assignment that is way under your qualifying level. The company does not concern itself with your desires and what you desire to fulfill. If you advise them that an assignment is not what you want, they will pull you from "active" to "inactive." This office (Pittsburgh) should realize that word of mouth is very strong, and I will not be referring anyone to this office.
Job didn't exist.
File Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Smith, ARSeptember 29, 2015
Cons: ALL
The contract job was supposed to start tomorrow. After spending a day filling out paperwork, multiple phone calls and emails - the job disappeared.

I was told that the attorney decided to send their own paralegals to do the work and that the job was now gone.

I was told this AFTER I submitted all the sensitive information that goes along with starting a new job.

The person I spoke to in Atlanta was nice. That is the only good thing.
Great Job Placement Agency
Legal Secretary (Current Employee), Irvine, CAAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Great support, work hard to find temp and perm jobs.
I have been temping with them for about 2 years and they are great. Lots of support and information. I highly recommend signing up with them.
Executive Never Aware of Office Concerns
Contractor (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 28, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Workload unbalanced, Many Distractions, No Structure
Horrible communication up the ladder. Disrespect and lack of consideration for individual who work 9+ hours. No supervision till things go wrong and real problems overcome the office culture. Uneven balance of staff productivity, some work really hard (sad) and other are lazy consuming the $$ of the office. Sales executives have personal problems or are too dumb to retrieve business and deliver on it. Business reputation has diminished over time and competitors have gained the upper hand of the market.
Exciting work place
Attorney Document Review (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Good work environmet
Cons: small pay rate
A typical work day starts at 8:00am. The company has excellent supervision policy as well as superb interaction with Attorneys. There is a good dinning room and technical staff are highly functional.
Job wok/ Life balance is satisfactory
Compensation/ Benefit is low
Job security/advancement is not certain
The company has good management and work culture
Great environment
Contract Attorney (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 22, 2015
Pros: The office is in a beautiful hotel
If you're going to be staring at documents all day, this is the place to do it. The atmosphere is laid back and schedules are flexible. The attorneys get along well and work together nicely. Management is friendly and works hard to get good projects to keep us busy. Last but not least, they offer a 401K!
Exceptional Experience
Paralegal / Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 21, 2015
Pros: great staff; no cost on you; best way to get your foot into legal
Cons: nothing
I was a newbie paralegal, yet Special Counsel still decided to work with me. Not only that, they were able to get me positions at both mid-tier and top lawfirms, as well as fortune 500 companies! Initially, I had sent them my resume and then followed up with a call. I spoke with one of their recruiters who worked with me to find a time to meet and told me about Special Counsel and their process; they do require testing (a problem solving quiz and typing test) which they told me was to check my skills, strengths/weaknesses. During my interview they listened to my needs, told me what to expect with my legal experience, and were very friendly and honest. Afterwards they checked my references and never submitted my resume to one of their clients without my approval first– this was refreshing because I felt like they had my best interest at heart. They were able to place me in temporary positions as well as temp positions where their clients hired me directly. I only have positive things to say about the Special Counsel team; I feel like if you are a hard worker, do well on your testing, and really want to work, they will be able to find you a job. They will save you time instead of job hunting on your own and I highly recommend them!
Known for posting non-existent jobs
Paralegal (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Cons: many
Special Counsel is known for resume gathering by posting non-existent jobs. They also do not review your background and experience thoroughly, consequently they place candidates in jobs they are not qualified for just in order to make their fee. They are nothing more than flesh peddlers. Most of their client's are bottom-tier firms who advertise for the same position every 2 or 3 months on their own, because they cannot keep paralegals/attorneys for any considerable length of time so then they end up farming out the job to SC. If you turn down a position, or if a position is not a fit for you and SC loses the fee, they then want nothing to do with you! SC staff is somewhat unprofessional and incompetent. I could go on and on. I am amazed this firm is still in business!
Good environment for doc review
Contract Attorney (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2015
Look, if you've done doc review, you know that it's all about the same. This place is as good as any. I'm not a fan of the restroom facilities and the project manager wanders around whistling and singing. Nothing deal breaking here and it pays the bills.
Like working on a contract basis, because it is always different.
Legal Assistant - Litigation (Current Employee), Miami, FLOctober 2, 2014
Pros: the assignments are always different, so working is not monotonous.
Cons: it is not a permanent position, which i am looking for.
Working for Special Counsel is rewarding because I meet a lot of new employers and I have an opportunity to land a long term, permanent position.
Good place to gain legal experience
Document Reviewer / Paralegal (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2014
A good place to work on temporary projects in the legal field. They are very upfront about duration of assignments and rate of pay. Helpful in looking for opportunities for you.
very congnial teammates and management
Document Reviewer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Pros: flexibility, free coffee, tea, occasional treats
Management tried very best to make workplace comfortable for workers
Not challenging but pays well
Attorney (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Spend your days staring at millions of documents on a computer screen, looking for small nuggets that need to be redacted. Do this for two years. Get compensated well, but ultimately a contractual job with no benefits.
great
Foreclosure Paralegal (Former Employee), Glen Allen, VAApril 4, 2014
Pros: great
Cons: grwat
Great Company to work for, I would reccommend it!!!!!!!!1

Loved the people and the environment, got offered a full time position through this company
Legal recruiting firm that services large firm clients.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2014
Pros: free lunches and dinner
Cons: short breaks, lots of dust from old files and having a dust allergy, short term assignment.
Typical day of work will revolve around a project based assignment. Projects can vary tremendously in length and scope. On a typical day with this particular project we were tasked with sorting through hundreds of physical files a day from boxes that hadn't been opened since the 40s, 50s, 60s and up to the 90s.

Hardest part of the job was making sense of handwriting from so long ago and finding the relevant key words to make a document responsive to our search. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with documents that had so much style. The type fonts, the stationary, the letterhead what a fantastic opportunity.
unresponsive company-
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Troy MIMarch 21, 2014
Pros: the company where i was placed was professional and friendly and the pay was adequate.
Cons: the temp agency is unproductive and unresponsive
This company contacted me for a position. The placement was short term of course but I did not receive any feedback from them. They would not return phone calls or emails. They make promises but fail to attempt to live up to them. They gave me incorrect information regarding the pay system.

I am now starting to believe they get paid for bringing in candidates and not necessarily placing them.

I would advise to utilize a different agency especially if you have limited experience.
Headquarters