Special Counsel

Special Counsel Employee Reviews

Valuable learning experience
Search Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
I learned a lot about generating leads, the hiring process, and maintaining high value relationships. The best part of the job was working with clients and applicants. The hardest part of the job was the high turnover and pressure to be more sales driven that customer driven.
Pros
benefits, balance
Cons
management, no advancement
Bias, favoritism, and underqaulifying assignments
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2016
This company plays games with its applicants. Either they do not call you at all, or they call you to fill an assignment that is way under your qualifying level. The company does not concern itself with your desires and what you desire to fulfill. If you advise them that an assignment is not what you want, they will pull you from "active" to "inactive." This office (Pittsburgh) should realize that word of mouth is very strong, and I will not be referring anyone to this office.
Employment company that goes above and beyond.
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 17, 2016
Special Counsel has great ties with many of the top legal firms in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and their knowledge of their clients allows them to quickly place people in new positions.
Good way to get your foot in the door
Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  PrivateFebruary 8, 2016
I don't work for Special Counsel specifically because it is a job placement company, but they were able to find me work after I completed my certificate coursework.
Pros
Was able to get work
Cons
Stuck where they place you when you are first starting out.
Legal Analyst
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 26, 2016
Horrible and unprofessional
Staff uninformed
Lack support and dedication
Hours are great
Never return calls or emails
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Charlotte staff
Untold horrors
paralegal (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 1, 2016
Special Counsel effectively duped me in a "bait and switch" manner. I applied for a contracts administrator job and was called in about a corporate paralegal position. The law firm offering this role presented a temp-to-perm offer, which I initially declined. The special counsel recruiter insisted it was a great opportunity and that there was no difference between being a special counsel employee and a "permanent" employee with the firm. However, there are some differences: working by the hour vs. salary means you don't get paid for time missed (e.g., drs appointments, etc.); if the firm decides to hire you permanently, you will likely face another waiting period (mine was an additional 60 days) before you are eligible for that firm's insurance or other benefits; the time spent working for a legal recruiter may not be able to be calculated into your total time worked for purposes of unemployment. And on and on. This was only the start of the misinformation. I ended up in a worse position than I was before I met this company. BEWARE.
Pros
Cons
bait and switch, poorly informed about client's policies or lack thereof (in my case, the latter)
Good but not great agency
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 29, 2016
I wish I had work. Take too long with the people who work with them to set them up with jobs. Ok agency. They try to find you work.
Pros
Good agency
Cons
Too long to call you back
Job didn't exist.
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 29, 2015
The contract job was supposed to start tomorrow. After spending a day filling out paperwork, multiple phone calls and emails - the job disappeared.

I was told that the attorney decided to send their own paralegals to do the work and that the job was now gone.

I was told this AFTER I submitted all the sensitive information that goes along with starting a new job.

The person I spoke to in Atlanta was nice. That is the only good thing.
Cons
ALL
Contract Work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 26, 2016
The job was interesting and I learned a few more skills to add to my background. However, because it is contract work it is hard to guess how long a job will last.
Executive Never Aware of Office Concerns
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 28, 2015
Horrible communication up the ladder. Disrespect and lack of consideration for individual who work 9+ hours. No supervision till things go wrong and real problems overcome the office culture. Uneven balance of staff productivity, some work really hard (sad) and other are lazy consuming the $$ of the office. Sales executives have personal problems or are too dumb to retrieve business and deliver on it. Business reputation has diminished over time and competitors have gained the upper hand of the market.
Pros
Cons
Workload unbalanced, Many Distractions, No Structure
Exciting work place
Attorney Document Review (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2015
A typical work day starts at 8:00am. The company has excellent supervision policy as well as superb interaction with Attorneys. There is a good dinning room and technical staff are highly functional.
Job wok/ Life balance is satisfactory
Compensation/ Benefit is low
Job security/advancement is not certain
The company has good management and work culture
Pros
Good work environmet
Cons
small pay rate
Great Job Placement Agency
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 27, 2015
I have been temping with them for about 2 years and they are great. Lots of support and information. I highly recommend signing up with them.
Pros
Great support, work hard to find temp and perm jobs.
Great environment
Contract Attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 22, 2015
If you're going to be staring at documents all day, this is the place to do it. The atmosphere is laid back and schedules are flexible. The attorneys get along well and work together nicely. Management is friendly and works hard to get good projects to keep us busy. Last but not least, they offer a 401K!
Pros
The office is in a beautiful hotel
Known for posting non-existent jobs
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Special Counsel is known for resume gathering by posting non-existent jobs. They also do not review your background and experience thoroughly, consequently they place candidates in jobs they are not qualified for just in order to make their fee. They are nothing more than flesh peddlers. Most of their client's are bottom-tier firms who advertise for the same position every 2 or 3 months on their own, because they cannot keep paralegals/attorneys for any considerable length of time so then they end up farming out the job to SC. If you turn down a position, or if a position is not a fit for you and SC loses the fee, they then want nothing to do with you! SC staff is somewhat unprofessional and incompetent. I could go on and on. I am amazed this firm is still in business!
Cons
many
unresponsive company-
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy MIMarch 21, 2014
This company contacted me for a position. The placement was short term of course but I did not receive any feedback from them. They would not return phone calls or emails. They make promises but fail to attempt to live up to them. They gave me incorrect information regarding the pay system.

I am now starting to believe they get paid for bringing in candidates and not necessarily placing them.

I would advise to utilize a different agency especially if you have limited experience.
Pros
the company where i was placed was professional and friendly and the pay was adequate.
Cons
the temp agency is unproductive and unresponsive
Forget about being called if you are over 50
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Miami, FloridaJanuary 26, 2014
I have 20 plus years of legal experience. Interviewed at their Miami office. As usual, I sent an email to the interviewer thanking her for her time... I did not even receive a courteous response or call. Yet, I've seen many posts for so-called available positions that I would be more than qualified for. I dealt with Special Counsel many years ago, when they were new in the market and this was not the case. Of course, I dealt with someone my age at the time and I was younger.
No So Special - Unethical practices
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasApril 18, 2013
I had heard about questionable business practices from other professionals placed by this former Ajilon firm. Surprised when the Director called me to relay that my colleague was very dissatisfied and asking Ajilon for help with placement elsewhere. I was asked to give the inside scoop which I found inappropriate and reported to my manager. When confronted the director denied it and has since tried to damage my reputation. Beware of the San Antonio office.
Pros
i had very good experience up until this incident.
Cons
blacklisted for reporting unethical behavior.
Contract Placement on multiple projects
Document Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2012
Depending on the client, they have a review center in their office, or I have been placed at the client site directly. Projects range anywhere from 40-80 hours per week, and anywhere from a couple of weeks to many months. Some clients are more cost and review speed conscious than others. Generally very good about returning communications, but uncertainty of project length comes with the territory.
Pros
free lunches some days (every couple of weeks), free parking (if offsite, generally)
Cons
no overtime, rate varies by project, unpredictable project length
Legal recruiting firm that services large firm clients.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2014
Typical day of work will revolve around a project based assignment. Projects can vary tremendously in length and scope. On a typical day with this particular project we were tasked with sorting through hundreds of physical files a day from boxes that hadn't been opened since the 40s, 50s, 60s and up to the 90s.

Hardest part of the job was making sense of handwriting from so long ago and finding the relevant key words to make a document responsive to our search. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with documents that had so much style. The type fonts, the stationary, the letterhead what a fantastic opportunity.
Pros
free lunches and dinner
Cons
short breaks, lots of dust from old files and having a dust allergy, short term assignment.
Good environment for doc review
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2015
Look, if you've done doc review, you know that it's all about the same. This place is as good as any. I'm not a fan of the restroom facilities and the project manager wanders around whistling and singing. Nothing deal breaking here and it pays the bills.

2.8