Special Counsel Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Executive Never Aware of Office Concerns
Contractor (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 28, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Workload unbalanced, Many Distractions, No Structure
Horrible communication up the ladder. Disrespect and lack of consideration for individual who work 9+ hours. No supervision till things go wrong and real problems overcome the office culture. Uneven balance of staff productivity, some work really hard (sad) and other are lazy consuming the $$ of the office. Sales executives have personal problems or are too dumb to retrieve business and deliver on it. Business reputation has diminished over time and competitors have gained the upper hand of the market.
Exciting work place
Attorney Document Review (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Good work environmet
Cons: small pay rate
A typical work day starts at 8:00am. The company has excellent supervision policy as well as superb interaction with Attorneys. There is a good dinning room and technical staff are highly functional.
Job wok/ Life balance is satisfactory
Compensation/ Benefit is low
Job security/advancement is not certain
The company has good management and work culture
Great environment
Contract Attorney (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 22, 2015
Pros: The office is in a beautiful hotel
If you're going to be staring at documents all day, this is the place to do it. The atmosphere is laid back and schedules are flexible. The attorneys get along well and work together nicely. Management is friendly and works hard to get good projects to keep us busy. Last but not least, they offer a 401K!
Exceptional Experience
Paralegal / Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 21, 2015
Pros: great staff; no cost on you; best way to get your foot into legal
Cons: nothing
I was a newbie paralegal, yet Special Counsel still decided to work with me. Not only that, they were able to get me positions at both mid-tier and top lawfirms, as well as fortune 500 companies! Initially, I had sent them my resume and then followed up with a call. I spoke with one of their recruiters who worked with me to find a time to meet and told me about Special Counsel and their process; they do require testing (a problem solving quiz and typing test) which they told me was to check my skills, strengths/weaknesses. During my interview they listened to my needs, told me what to expect with my legal experience, and were very friendly and honest. Afterwards they checked my references and never submitted my resume to one of their clients without my approval first– this was refreshing because I felt like they had my best interest at heart. They were able to place me in temporary positions as well as temp positions where their clients hired me directly. I only have positive things to say about the Special Counsel team; I feel like if you are a hard worker, do well on your testing, and really want to work, they will be able to find you a job. They will save you time instead of job hunting on your own and I highly recommend them!
Known for posting non-existent jobs
Paralegal (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Cons: many
Special Counsel is known for resume gathering by posting non-existent jobs. They also do not review your background and experience thoroughly, consequently they place candidates in jobs they are not qualified for just in order to make their fee. They are nothing more than flesh peddlers. Most of their client's are bottom-tier firms who advertise for the same position every 2 or 3 months on their own, because they cannot keep paralegals/attorneys for any considerable length of time so then they end up farming out the job to SC. If you turn down a position, or if a position is not a fit for you and SC loses the fee, they then want nothing to do with you! SC staff is somewhat unprofessional and incompetent. I could go on and on. I am amazed this firm is still in business!
Good environment for doc review
Contract Attorney (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2015
Look, if you've done doc review, you know that it's all about the same. This place is as good as any. I'm not a fan of the restroom facilities and the project manager wanders around whistling and singing. Nothing deal breaking here and it pays the bills.
Like working on a contract basis, because it is always different.
Legal Assistant - Litigation (Current Employee), Miami, FLOctober 2, 2014
Pros: the assignments are always different, so working is not monotonous.
Cons: it is not a permanent position, which i am looking for.
Working for Special Counsel is rewarding because I meet a lot of new employers and I have an opportunity to land a long term, permanent position.
Good place to gain legal experience
Document Reviewer / Paralegal (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 23, 2014
A good place to work on temporary projects in the legal field. They are very upfront about duration of assignments and rate of pay. Helpful in looking for opportunities for you.
very congnial teammates and management
Document Reviewer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Pros: flexibility, free coffee, tea, occasional treats
Management tried very best to make workplace comfortable for workers
Not challenging but pays well
Attorney (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2014
Spend your days staring at millions of documents on a computer screen, looking for small nuggets that need to be redacted. Do this for two years. Get compensated well, but ultimately a contractual job with no benefits.
great
Foreclosure Paralegal (Former Employee), Glen Allen, VAApril 4, 2014
Pros: great
Cons: grwat
Great Company to work for, I would reccommend it!!!!!!!!1

Loved the people and the environment, got offered a full time position through this company
Legal recruiting firm that services large firm clients.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2014
Pros: free lunches and dinner
Cons: short breaks, lots of dust from old files and having a dust allergy, short term assignment.
Typical day of work will revolve around a project based assignment. Projects can vary tremendously in length and scope. On a typical day with this particular project we were tasked with sorting through hundreds of physical files a day from boxes that hadn't been opened since the 40s, 50s, 60s and up to the 90s.

Hardest part of the job was making sense of handwriting from so long ago and finding the relevant key words to make a document responsive to our search. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with documents that had so much style. The type fonts, the stationary, the letterhead what a fantastic opportunity.
unresponsive company-
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Troy MIMarch 21, 2014
Pros: the company where i was placed was professional and friendly and the pay was adequate.
Cons: the temp agency is unproductive and unresponsive
This company contacted me for a position. The placement was short term of course but I did not receive any feedback from them. They would not return phone calls or emails. They make promises but fail to attempt to live up to them. They gave me incorrect information regarding the pay system.

I am now starting to believe they get paid for bringing in candidates and not necessarily placing them.

I would advise to utilize a different agency especially if you have limited experience.
What's In It For me
Legal (Former Employee), VirginiaJanuary 31, 2014
Cons: quanity over quality; no loyalty and only care about what is best for them
They are more interested in getting their commission from placing a canidate than finding appropriate positions for their canidates and they lack the interest and commitment to getting to know you and marketing your skill sets appropriately. They treat you like cattle... herd em and milk em
Forget about being called if you are over 50
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Former Employee), Miami, FloridaJanuary 26, 2014
I have 20 plus years of legal experience. Interviewed at their Miami office. As usual, I sent an email to the interviewer thanking her for her time... I did not even receive a courteous response or call. Yet, I've seen many posts for so-called available positions that I would be more than qualified for. I dealt with Special Counsel many years ago, when they were new in the market and this was not the case. Of course, I dealt with someone my age at the time and I was younger.
Good people, little job security.
Contract Attorney (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2014
It's a temp gig, so there really is no depending on having work on any given day. The people are nice and the atmosphere is great for employees.
Laid back but enduring work schedule.
Attorney at Law (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: great pay.
Cons: work sometimes repetitive.
A typical day lasted about 10-14 hours. Regular, small breaks and great group of people to work with.
Legal recruiting and services company
E-discovery attorney (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 17, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, relaxed work environment
Cons: low pay, unpredictable project durations
Great management and work/life balance make this an excellent place to work. While the positions offered are primarily temporary, there is a steady flow of work and little downtime.
A great place to start as an entry level legal professional
Temp (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2013
It takes time to find entry level employment. Special Counsel placed me with a great company and in between assignments they let me know that they are always keeping me in mind for new opportunities. They ask for reviews from the employers. The feed back gives me confidence in my work and lets me know if there is some thing I can improve on.
A temporary employment agency where the checks cleared
Contract Attorney (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 20, 2013
Pros: not much. get paid on time
Cons: no security, no healthcare, client constantly changing rules, metrics
Special Counsel is a temporary employment agency that sends lawyers on assignment to firms that need to complete document review for discovery. This company paid on time and was attentive to people's needs, if they would arise.

The hardest part of the job was that you were nothing more than a temporary employee that could be released on a moment's notice. This is not the fault of Special Counsel, it's just part of the "temp life". Oddly enough, the best part of a temp job is usually the co-workers. There's a weird sort of gallows humor bonding that goes on between the varied gaggle of lawyers that get scooped by these assignments. The "temp life" is a strange place. I wouldn't say "fun" but strange.