Spartan Controls Employee Reviews

Make tons of money but too many unqualified managers.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2016
The work was fine, the projects were intense but not unmanageable. Compensation is a combination of base salary + quarterly profit sharing + annual profit sharing (once you've purchased shares). The base salary is extremely low but the addition of quarterly profit sharing bumps it up to match industry. Every employee receives both. After year three every employee is offered a standard amount of shares based on the job role. These shares vest over 10 years and profit sharing for share owners is paid out in two installments annually. My offer letter indicated my salary would be matched to what is typical for someone with my experience and background however for three years I was paid consistently 20% to 60% more than the amount in the offer letter because of profit sharing.

It's not uncommon to work with a number of people who have been there for decades. These people are either very good at their job or are very good at playing games and keeping their head down. The game players would not succeed or make nearly what they make at Spartan anywhere else, they were just lucky enough to win the Spartan lottery by getting in early and buying shares.
Pros
Tons of money, some very good people.
Cons
Old timers who got lucky stand in the way for newer, better people to succeed.
Long hours, stressful, no balance...1 year term
control panel technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2014
Rules for working at Spartan Controls:
Never dispute your manager or GL. Don't expect to be considered for promotion based on hard work. You will be expected to work overtime.Good place to work if you are seeking slave like relationship they can fire you at any time for any reasons.There are people with mental problems with bad behavior and management doesn't care about that. You should be a somebody( old workers or GL) pat to get a permanent job.Kissing up is where it's at.
Not recommended for normal people.

Through this job, I learned that culture is so so so very important. There is not enough money in the world to make me work under these circumstances ever again I am
Pros
Friday donuts...nothing else
Cons
Long hours, you are not supposed to have weekends...
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2016
Spartan is amazing, they catch you for life with an unique payment style. if you want to know more you have to work there. Great company culture!
Fun and exciting workplace, great challenges and good people
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 May 2013
The days are busy and filled with challenges that provide great learning experiences. Daily challenges are constantly teaching me a better sense of time management, better communication skills and most importantly I am always learning how much more work I can handle than I had previously thought possible.

The management team is very supportive and approachable. Co-workers are friendly and hard working. Everyone loves to have fun and understands the importance that a fun and relaxed workplace plays in increasing productivity.

The hardest part of the job is the complexity of each project, and the fact that no two projects are the same.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the company and overall culture, which is made better by the feeling of community created by the employees.
Great work environment.
Sales Support Administrator and Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 June 2014
Although I had to put in long hours, it's well worth it when everyone in the company are such great people. We all work for the sake of the company and to build and maintain the company's reputation of outstanding customer service and reliable products.
Pros
Great benefits and great environment.
Cons
Long Hours
n/a
Control Panel Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2014
Cool job, lots to learn, lots to do. Must be competent. High calibre people, expensive equipment.
Pros
Company takes care of their workers
Cons
Work can be repetitive at times

4.2