Southland Transportation

Southland Transportation Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place and i do mean so great
Apprentice Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2016
I have only worked here for around 4 weeks now and this company is amazing. I mean they treat you as you are a human, not just a number like in my previous job. Everyday I come into work and it's something new I either learn or I fix, and the best part is no one yells or screams at you if you have a question or can't figure a problem out. If you have the chance to work here I suggest you do, plus the people you work with are all great guys and gals. I've never met one person who doesn't say good morning or ask you how your day is going.

Well in short great company, great people, and just a fun place.
Pros
People, people, people
Cons
Non
Learning every day
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 18, 2016
As I worked there it seemed that they were very glad to help us in ways that I have not seen in any other work place , their doors were always open and I learned from my mistakes instead of being fired for them. Plus the people I meet while driving was enjoyable. I did not like getting up so early but our daily clients made it worth our while. my co-workers were very helpful in getting my vehicle out of the yard as it was a very close quarters to move a large vehicle around in
Pros
tim cards
Cons
longs hrs
It is a very poorly ran. The maintenance is sub par
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 16, 2016
It is a filler job the shops are old and dark, management lets apprentices call job issues that are out of their training expertise. You are marked as a troublemaker if you just want to do your job properly.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Don't you work in a very outdated shop
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Spruce MeadowsApril 20, 2016
This is a part time, less than minimum wage, to get you used to the work force again only job. It gets you up early you have the middle of the day to do your own work then back at it in the afternoon. Turnover rate is staggering and they are constantly training new drivers..
Receptionist
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 13, 2016
I have worked here for just over three years. The hours are good compared to other companies. Some of the people I have worked with have been very nice people. While it has been a good job for the few years I have been here it is time to change things.
busy shop, always lots of work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 15, 2016
very busy shop, never out of work and lots of chance for overtime. people you work with are great, pays isnt as great as other places, but it is a great place to learn and make mistakes that you can learn from.
Pros
tool and boot allowence, never out of work, great coworkers to work with
Cons
not being asked to do after hours work, pay isnt all that great.
Able to get to and from desinations safely
Bus Driver Class 2Q-S (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 3, 2016
pre trip bus and driving, picking up/dropping off students
how to drive a school bus, getting my class 2Q-s endorsement
Worked well with
Love and miss them
The Kids and the ability to be on the road all day
Pros
Working
Cons
Not Working
management sucks
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 19, 2016
this place talks about team work all the time but i never seen it, they go through employees like crazy, the work is good lots of it thats the only reason i would stay
Pros
lots of work
Cons
management
School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 13, 2016
The safety officers and the dispatch administration staff have to be firm but they could all us a course on compassion aand treating their drivers with respect.
Great part time work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Great to be able to have the days free to do other things. the training program is extensive and really good, always have a great time talking with other drivers in the yard and at school. Its rewarding learning and talking with the kids everyday.
Fantastic job for those who love kids
Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 6, 2016
great job for stay at home parents looking for a little extra money.
Gives you flexibility to be a stay at home parent and still be able to afford the fun extras
Managers make over taxed office workers do the managers work
Special needs driver (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 3, 2015
If you can get a route with minimal office input and the time commitment equal's the pay, then this is an ok job. The company advertises $20 an hour when in reality it means you get paid 4 hrs a day even if it takes you 8 or more hours to complete your route. Seniors routes are even worse, there are many route changes weekly and you are responsible to reschedule and map all changes without compensation. Also you NEED to supply and pay for a cell phone in order to have a chance to competently complete your route, without compensation. Also you can not use a gps when driving the bus while you learn your route and are only to use maps......because the gps is a "distraction" and a "safety" concern.....reading a map while you drive is safer I guess. They also guilt you into doing extra non compensated runs with only a "you are the best for helping out"....I could go on for ever...but I wont.
Pros
Kids are fun, seniors are awesome
Cons
usually pay works out to be less than min wage
Unorganized
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Very hard company to work with. low pay.treat employees poorly.
poor maintenance of buses.
poor managment.
favouritism to workers
Pros
class2
Cons
not worth the stress
n/a
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Southland is a good place to work. Management is great and the morale in the office is remarkable. I would recommend a job at southland to anyone
This job is not for everyone. You must be pretty desperate...
Access Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
Working at this company means long hours, insufficient training and impatience. They are biased towards newbies, Not easy to survive first couple of months.
Good for a time
School Bus Driver/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Being a school bus driver has it's perks, for some people. It was good for me during the time my children were small so I could take them with me to work.
driving around the city in new places
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2015
I loved working with many different people of all levels of inquiries. creating relationships with management and mechanics and the students and school officials. A great responsibility that is appreciated by all. Keeping the bus clean and in good shape for all to enjoy. Communicating with supervisors who were there when you needed them for any uncertainity.
Pros
same expectations you can try to improve everyday
Cons
bus breakdowns
Good company to work for if your lifestyle fits
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2014
Typical day starts with inspection of bus. Students are picked up and transported to school. In the afternoon they are picked up at the school and delivered back home. Management is good and supportive.
Co-workers are a diverse group and quite interesting.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with loud and difficult children.
Best part of job is connecting with some of the kids.
Pros
4-5 hours per day committment
Cons
no benefits
Lack of communication, long hours, very badly managed company
Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary,abNovember 25, 2014
Worked for this company for 4 years and in that time, we changed 5 shop managers, a few of them quitting, but being hired back (probably through a bribe), countless drivers left, yard staff and managers, good people essentially, all left due to one reason alone. Very bad management. Even recently, the GM of the company is no longer.

I hope this company changes, but unless the few managers leave their fancy management chairs, it'll never change.

I do not recommend working for this company at all, unless you are desperate. Even then, there's better places
Pros
good technicians, good crew.
Cons
appaling all around senior management. very long hours, poor maintenance protocols (as per management) many many many downed/late units because of this.
bad pay/ bad hours/ expected to volunteer lots
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2014
Lots of things you do are suppose to be paid bit u never get paid for it because somebody somewhere did not approved even if you prove you did the work. The bus are not safe for the road and break down weekly. I was recently called to see if I was returning in September. Wow made me laugh. No way would I ever I volunteered enough for someone else to fill their pocket. I have had enough of waiting full days without getting paid for their bus to get fixed. I had enough of charter promises stuff that will never happen. Any company would be better than this.
Pros
free trainning
Cons
missing pay broken bus bad attitude from mgm

2.4