Southland Transportation

Southland Transportation Employee Reviews

Managers make over taxed office workers do the managers work
Special needs driver (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 3, 2015
If you can get a route with minimal office input and the time commitment equal's the pay, then this is an ok job. The company advertises $20 an hour when in reality it means you get paid 4 hrs a day even if it takes you 8 or more hours to complete your route. Seniors routes are even worse, there are many route changes weekly and you are responsible to reschedule and map all changes without compensation. Also you NEED to supply and pay for a cell phone in order to have a chance to competently complete your route, without compensation. Also you can not use a gps when driving the bus while you learn your route and are only to use maps......because the gps is a "distraction" and a "safety" concern.....reading a map while you drive is safer I guess. They also guilt you into doing extra non compensated runs with only a "you are the best for helping out"....I could go on for ever...but I wont.
Pros
Kids are fun, seniors are awesome
Cons
usually pay works out to be less than min wage
Great place and i do mean so great
Apprentice Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2016
I have only worked here for around 4 weeks now and this company is amazing. I mean they treat you as you are a human, not just a number like in my previous job. Everyday I come into work and it's something new I either learn or I fix, and the best part is no one yells or screams at you if you have a question or can't figure a problem out. If you have the chance to work here I suggest you do, plus the people you work with are all great guys and gals. I've never met one person who doesn't say good morning or ask you how your day is going.

Well in short great company, great people, and just a fun place.
Pros
People, people, people
Cons
Non
Learning every day
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 18, 2016
As I worked there it seemed that they were very glad to help us in ways that I have not seen in any other work place , their doors were always open and I learned from my mistakes instead of being fired for them. Plus the people I meet while driving was enjoyable. I did not like getting up so early but our daily clients made it worth our while. my co-workers were very helpful in getting my vehicle out of the yard as it was a very close quarters to move a large vehicle around in
Pros
tim cards
Cons
longs hrs
It is a very poorly ran. The maintenance is sub par
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 16, 2016
It is a filler job the shops are old and dark, management lets apprentices call job issues that are out of their training expertise. You are marked as a troublemaker if you just want to do your job properly.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Don't you work in a very outdated shop
Receptionist
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 13, 2016
I have worked here for just over three years. The hours are good compared to other companies. Some of the people I have worked with have been very nice people. While it has been a good job for the few years I have been here it is time to change things.
School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 13, 2016
The safety officers and the dispatch administration staff have to be firm but they could all us a course on compassion aand treating their drivers with respect.
What they say does not match
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 4, 2015
What they say does not match what they do. They hold these things called Raise the Bar. And then nothing happens with the results. Nothing changes.

They also have a new thing with GPS in the bus and they use it to threaten drivers with speeding. If you speed management will be advised! But they do not prove the speedometers are correct in the bus and show the right speed. Also many do not work properly.

They use it as a threat not as a useful tool to assist in your job. Fear rules a lot of what they do.
Also they say the door is always open but nothing happens. You can file reports and no feedback ever happens. If something happens you have to attend a meeting on your own time even if you were not at fault at all.

There is always some excuse as to why things are not happening as they said they would. The new GM is trying hard but he is up against a lot of old school thinking in the company.

Rather than admit a mistake was made they lie to you and when logs prove them wrong they lie to you.

Other drivers are great to work with for the most part and take the responsibility very seriously.

If they had to pay for all the work they expect for free the company would not be in business or management salaries would have to be reduced to cover costs. It is really a who you know company rather than a what you know and do company. They show no appreciation for those who go above and beyond in the job.

My best advice is to just stick to doing exactly what the job needs and do not do extras. It will get you nowhere.

I would like a manager to show how to keep
  more... the bus as clean as they expect it to be in the few minutes they say it will take.  less
Pros
Kids are great., School I drive for is great., Dispatcher is great as are ladies in Charters., Management needs a shakeup and to be told they are in the people business.
Cons
Expect you to do many extras for which you do not get paid., Keeping the bus clean is on your time not paid for it., Same with taking bus in for work etc.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Spruce MeadowsApril 20, 2016
This is a part time, less than minimum wage, to get you used to the work force again only job. It gets you up early you have the middle of the day to do your own work then back at it in the afternoon. Turnover rate is staggering and they are constantly training new drivers..
Fantastic job for those who love kids
Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 6, 2016
great job for stay at home parents looking for a little extra money.
Gives you flexibility to be a stay at home parent and still be able to afford the fun extras
management sucks
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 19, 2016
this place talks about team work all the time but i never seen it, they go through employees like crazy, the work is good lots of it thats the only reason i would stay
Pros
lots of work
Cons
management
Able to get to and from desinations safely
Bus Driver Class 2Q-S (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 3, 2016
pre trip bus and driving, picking up/dropping off students
how to drive a school bus, getting my class 2Q-s endorsement
Worked well with
Love and miss them
The Kids and the ability to be on the road all day
Pros
Working
Cons
Not Working
Good company to work for if your lifestyle fits
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2014
Typical day starts with inspection of bus. Students are picked up and transported to school. In the afternoon they are picked up at the school and delivered back home. Management is good and supportive.
Co-workers are a diverse group and quite interesting.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with loud and difficult children.
Best part of job is connecting with some of the kids.
Pros
4-5 hours per day committment
Cons
no benefits
busy shop, always lots of work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 15, 2016
very busy shop, never out of work and lots of chance for overtime. people you work with are great, pays isnt as great as other places, but it is a great place to learn and make mistakes that you can learn from.
Pros
tool and boot allowence, never out of work, great coworkers to work with
Cons
not being asked to do after hours work, pay isnt all that great.
n/a
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Southland is a good place to work. Management is great and the morale in the office is remarkable. I would recommend a job at southland to anyone
This job is not for everyone. You must be pretty desperate...
Access Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
Working at this company means long hours, insufficient training and impatience. They are biased towards newbies, Not easy to survive first couple of months.
Great part time work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Great to be able to have the days free to do other things. the training program is extensive and really good, always have a great time talking with other drivers in the yard and at school. Its rewarding learning and talking with the kids everyday.
Retirement job only
Charter Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2012
-Run you a 16hr day with 8hr's to get home sleep and get back to work.
-Pay changes depending on the run.
-with an average of 32hrs of work a week no benefits even classed as full time.
-fails to follow fed driving regulations working you up to 21 days in a row with one day off at the end from time to time.
Pros
you get to drive a bus.
Cons
everything else.
Unorganized
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Very hard company to work with. low pay.treat employees poorly.
poor maintenance of buses.
poor managment.
favouritism to workers
Pros
class2
Cons
not worth the stress
Good for a time
School Bus Driver/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Being a school bus driver has it's perks, for some people. It was good for me during the time my children were small so I could take them with me to work.
Lack of communication, long hours, very badly managed company
Technician (Former Employee) –  calgary,abNovember 25, 2014
Worked for this company for 4 years and in that time, we changed 5 shop managers, a few of them quitting, but being hired back (probably through a bribe), countless drivers left, yard staff and managers, good people essentially, all left due to one reason alone. Very bad management. Even recently, the GM of the company is no longer.

I hope this company changes, but unless the few managers leave their fancy management chairs, it'll never change.

I do not recommend working for this company at all, unless you are desperate. Even then, there's better places
Pros
good technicians, good crew.
Cons
appaling all around senior management. very long hours, poor maintenance protocols (as per management) many many many downed/late units because of this.

2.4