Southland Transportation Employee Reviews

Great Place to work for stay home parents, no child care needed.
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2017
Over roll it is one of the best transportation company in Edmonton. Good training and great people to work with. If you are good driver and enjoy being with kids then this is The place to be.
Pros
No work during school breaks.
Cons
When bus need service then you have no choice, you have to be at the garage till the service done. This is your free time without any pay.
Drivers do all the work, get all the blame. No support
School Bus and Charter Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2017
I loved driving a bus and getting to know the students. The pay is absolutely not commensurate with the amount of responsibility. The ads stating "earn $100/day" are false unless you work many extra routes or charters. Any issue or problem falls on the driver and neither dispatch nor management provide and support. Although they do all the work, drivers are considered disposable and often let go for the smallest of incidents. There is an attitude of "don't complain, don't get fired" that permeates the bus yard. As much as I enjoyed the actual work, the miserable pay and endless psychological abuses are not worth the risk and responsibility.
Pros
Excellent work hours and schedule for parents with school age kids
Cons
Bad pay, no management support, more and more responsibility without compensation
Managment does not walk the talk
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2017
I like the driving and schedule even though it is an 11 hr day for 6 hrs pay.
However managment sucks. I have been a driver for 1 year and thee has been 2 direct supervisors. There has been other manager changes.
Safety Supervisor not present for 2 months.
No follow up on whether there was a protocol for having propane detectors in the mainteance shop.
Manadatory training impossible due to driving schedule.
All drivers must have a fuel card but none are available.
Propane busses must only be fueled at the yard where the pump is located and it is at the entrance to the shop so blocks the the entrance.to the shop.
Supervisors door is always opwn....bs... have to wait i line cos a fixed time to talk is never kept. No pay to wash bus .. if the wash bay is open
On and on and
Pros
The toilet always has paper
Cons
Many
Productive Fun Place to work at
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 January 2017
Great company, great benefits, great people. Training provided, fantastic opportunity to work with a large group of dedicated to safety personal from a diverse group of people
Fun environment, take your kids with you!
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB17 January 2017
I love that I can take my kids to work with me and drive them to school. I work less than 4 hours a day, pay for no child-care and I am available for my children during the day for volunteering and taking them to after school sports.

The training is wonderful and had me ready and comfortable for my first run.
good experience
Accounts Receivable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
did very high volume accounts receivable, tight scheduled billing cycle, client communication, and when another's time off worked on accounts payable processing.
Pros
sometimes free lunches
Not caring to needs of Employees
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2016
I feel as thought you are not valued as an important part of the company and they work you over your hours with no compensation
Its a fun place to work at!
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
It is a great place to work at! The co-workers are nice and friendly and the job fit perfectly in my schedule. The pay is good and I enjoyed my job very much!
Pros
I get the holidays off
Cons
I have to drop off my own kids at the same time by car
Recruiters need to get their basics straight
Access driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2016
Applied for a position and someone called. First question he asked if you have more than 5 years of canadian driving experience. I told him I don't but it isn't mentioned in the job requirements eithier. The recruiter told me to go back and check the ad again which I did and it wasn't there. Looks like he wanted to hire someone he knows and just conduct an interview and reject me. This is so embarrassing will never consider working for this company.
It is a very poorly ran. The maintenance is sub par
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary16 August 2016
It is a filler job the shops are old and dark, management lets apprentices call job issues that are out of their training expertise. You are marked as a troublemaker if you just want to do your job properly.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Don't you work in a very outdated shop
School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2016
The safety officers and the dispatch administration staff have to be firm but they could all us a course on compassion aand treating their drivers with respect.
Productivity
Dispatcher/Relief Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2016
My days are fast paced and always a new challenge to deal with, always an opportunity to utilize and improve my skill set. I love the people I work with they are diverse group and create a fun atmosphere.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
Great place and i do mean so great
Apprentice Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2016
I have only worked here for around 4 weeks now and this company is amazing. I mean they treat you as you are a human, not just a number like in my previous job. Everyday I come into work and it's something new I either learn or I fix, and the best part is no one yells or screams at you if you have a question or can't figure a problem out. If you have the chance to work here I suggest you do, plus the people you work with are all great guys and gals. I've never met one person who doesn't say good morning or ask you how your day is going.

Well in short great company, great people, and just a fun place.
Pros
People, people, people
Cons
Non
Receptionist
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2016
I have worked here for just over three years. The hours are good compared to other companies. Some of the people I have worked with have been very nice people. While it has been a good job for the few years I have been here it is time to change things.
management sucks
Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2016
this place talks about team work all the time but i never seen it, they go through employees like crazy, the work is good lots of it thats the only reason i would stay
Pros
lots of work
Cons
management
Learning every day
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
As I worked there it seemed that they were very glad to help us in ways that I have not seen in any other work place , their doors were always open and I learned from my mistakes instead of being fired for them. Plus the people I meet while driving was enjoyable. I did not like getting up so early but our daily clients made it worth our while. my co-workers were very helpful in getting my vehicle out of the yard as it was a very close quarters to move a large vehicle around in
Pros
tim cards
Cons
longs hrs
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Spruce Meadows20 April 2016
This is a part time, less than minimum wage, to get you used to the work force again only job. It gets you up early you have the middle of the day to do your own work then back at it in the afternoon. Turnover rate is staggering and they are constantly training new drivers..
Able to get to and from desinations safely
Bus Driver Class 2Q-S (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2016
pre trip bus and driving, picking up/dropping off students
how to drive a school bus, getting my class 2Q-s endorsement
Worked well with
Love and miss them
The Kids and the ability to be on the road all day
Pros
Working
Cons
Not Working
Fantastic job for those who love kids
Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2016
great job for stay at home parents looking for a little extra money.
Gives you flexibility to be a stay at home parent and still be able to afford the fun extras
busy shop, always lots of work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2016
very busy shop, never out of work and lots of chance for overtime. people you work with are great, pays isnt as great as other places, but it is a great place to learn and make mistakes that you can learn from.
Pros
tool and boot allowence, never out of work, great coworkers to work with
Cons
not being asked to do after hours work, pay isnt all that great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southland Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5