Southland Transportation

Southland Transportation Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great salary,favoritism.Very bad place to work
FM (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 10, 2014
Pros: rude
Cons: rude
don't seem to care too much for their employees.Poor training,
Excellent workplace
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 26, 2013
Pros: training and licensing covered, team oriented
Cons: part time work
Very Safety Oriented company, very good team atmosphere

Start of day doing a check of your bus before your run, then the run consists of driving through various types of traffic to pick up students of varying ages to drop them at school, return to base to have a few hours off and then report to the school to transport students to their homes. Free – more... time can be filled with personal time or company related charter services. – less
I am not in an office and able to travel, which I like to do.
Shuttle Bus Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2013
Southland is a great company to work for, if you have 2 incomes coming into the house.
long hours and hard work
o Para Transit Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 7, 2013
Pros: freedom of the road
Cons: very long hours, hard physical work
A typical day begins at 6am and finishes around 6pm. Driving a handicap bus has challenges not normally experienced by a regular bus driver. It is a door to door service with very tight timelines. Clients have varying needs and all must be transported safely, securely and in a timely fashion. Times are very tight with only 3 minutes allowed per pick – more... up. This includes going to the door, waiting for the client, transporting the wheel chairs or walkers, securing them and the client.
The day is very long but the clients are very nice and the job has its rewards.
Overall a good job with moderate pay but no time for a personal life. – less
Picking up kids and dropping them off
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABJuly 21, 2013
Pros: worked with a great group of people
Cons: the winter weather.
Pre tripped my bus at 5:45 AM.
Drove for 50 minutes to my first pick up.
For the the next half hour picked up rural students for three different schools within the Catholic School Board. Drove back into town and unloaded the students at the appropriate schools.
Returned the bus back to the maintenance yard and did a post trip on my bus.
Came back in – more... the afternoon, performed a pre trip and lined up at the appropriate school. Picked up all the morning students and took them home.
I learned how to manage students from Grade 1 to grade 12 while driving the school bus.
Work with management with regards to problems with students and/or the bus. Helped with additional transportation matters that came up.
The most enjoyable part was driving the bus in the mountains. – less
Good Parttime job
School bus driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 26, 2012
Excellent pay, and co-workers. Senior management can be trying. Overall I do enjoy my work.
Productive and fun work place
Professional Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2012
I enjoyed working for southland. They care about their employees as well as their customers and work hard to find the equilibrium between the two.
Bus driver
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2012
Pros: interaction with kids
Cons: traffic
My typical day was driving our future to and from school.
I enjoyed interacting with the kids... they were great!
Fun place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 2, 2012
Pros: had weekends off
Cons: long hours
was a easy job, had lots of fun, met lots of good people.. I never drove a big vechicle before so it was a great experience..
Retirement job only
Charter Bus Operator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: you get to drive a bus.
Cons: everything else.
-Run you a 16hr day with 8hr's to get home sleep and get back to work.
-Pay changes depending on the run.
-with an average of 32hrs of work a week no benefits even classed as full time.
-fails to follow fed driving regulations working you up to 21 days in a row with one day off at the end from time to time.
Well organized, expanding Schoolbus company, largest in Calgary
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: good, safe driving habits, cheaper insurance, discount on car parts.
Cons: long hours, cold mornings, frustration with occasional mechanical failure, especially on cold mornings (bus won't start), traffic risks in poor road conditions.
A typical workday begins at 6:45, the bus is thoroughly checked to be roadworthy, dispatcher is called, and leave the first stop is at 7:15 with happy children looking forward to another day of Junior high. The second stop is for timid Kindergarten and public school children. These are brought to sister schools in Acadia. Then I drive all the way to – more... Walden and Bridlewood to pick up Junior High kids for another school. I have several hours to do things at home, then check in again at 14:00 hours, taking all the children from three schools back home.
I have learned to organize my time so that I am consistently at each stop well in advance; also to utilize the off-hours in between morning and afternoon runs. I have learned to interact with a host of different personalities, many of them new to our country. I also learned the extreme importance of safe equipment.
It is always important to realize that anyone in management is also a person, and that a kind and gentle spirit goes a long way.
Interaction with co-workers has been very interesting over the years. Many of them looked forward to the small talk when waiting at the school, fun interaction with their toddlers, they take with them. I strongly believe that encouragement and genuine interest is very important.
The hardest part of this job has been misunderstanding of poorly informed parents that have jumped to conclusions to protect their "cubs". The movement from "misunderstanding" to "truth" can take patience, and extra effort, but is very rewarding in the end.
The most enjoyable part of this job, is a School principal saying, "Good, you're back" or some child in the mall or church hallway yelling to their mom, "There's our bus driver!"
I believe that going beyond the call of duty, rather than just "performing" what's in the job description or frame of reference is very important and gives lasting satisfaction in the end. – less
hope its change
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 25, 2012
Very early days, alot better if you can bring your bus home.
Those minus 30 mornings/days are fun, if you have good heat.
Then the children. enjoy.

About Southland Transportation

Southland Transportation Ltd. is committed to safety and service in the people transportation business. Southland operates school, – Read more