Southland Transportation Employee Reviews

Transportation
other (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
Drivers are always needed. Part time hours only. Rigid rules about Hours of Service. A lot of unpaid time spent fulfilling job requirements. Caring environment
Pros
lots of free day time hours
Cons
never full time work
great place to work and every one if frendly
School Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB5 September 2017
over all I enjoy working here every one is willing to help if and when help is needed. the equipment is in great working order and is well maintained by the mechanics
Supervisors do not care about the personal aspect of life that influences your work.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2017
I was taken off my route due to kids on my bus lying on my children. I was then taken off my route for being sick with my children. I had back problems that I was penalized for. They would give my bus to someone else to cover their route and then in turn cover my route with someone else and they would still have me come in. they switched the supervisors and dispatchers and its been messed up ever since. They give me the run around. All I want to do is do my job and go home and only go in the office when I have too.
Pros
You can bring your children to work with you.
Great Part-Time work with amazing flexibility
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2017
Southland has an amazing work culture and great flexibility. This job is perfect for a stay at home parent as you can bring your children with you on the bus, also a great job for retired or semi retired.
Free training and excellent support. The hardest part of the job is driving a huge bus is icy conditions but overtime your confidence and comfort level make it less stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with amazing children each and every day.
positive place to work, lots of comradery with other drivers and management
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Ogden Yard21 July 2017
did pre trip and post trip on bus every day, picked up special needs students at various high schools in the area

Lots of special meetings on a regular basis to suggest how to improve the company.
Pros
Lots of free time when not driving
Cons
limited income of 4 hours per day
Excellent job if you like young people and want part time employment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 July 2017
I have worked here for 3 years previously 3 years with Totem. A truly great place to work, if you can handle children with good common sense and are comfortable driving a school bus this job is for you! The company is great to work for and they do care about the employees. Dont expect to make big money, but a great job for anyone retired or a Mom with young kids who dont want to pay a babysitter. Regular staff appreciation events, I give them 9 out of 10 to work for. Good Management, winter can be a challenge driving, enjoy having rapport with young people on the bus!
Pros
Great retirement job
Cons
Winter driving can be a challenge.
a job I enjoyed
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 July 2017
mostly driving kids to and from school
A great job for semi retired people
They could use a little tweeking here and there but overall I was very happy to work for the company
The hardest part of the job is trying to find addresses when filling in for another driver's route, but they have great support staff for that if needed?
The best part of the job for me was interacting with the kids.
Pros
Not stuck in a building day to day
Cons
Mostly dealing with traffic or misbehaving childern
its a great place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB21 June 2017
I get all big holidays off you get to driver new bus you also get to meet a lot of nice people they let you take your kids on the bus so its great for familys with little kids
Pros
all big holiadays off
School Bus driver
School Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary,AB15 June 2017
Driving kids to and from school. rewarding position knowing you are helping in the community. Split shifts each day, made it feel like a full time position when it wasn't. Great training which allowed me to get my Class 2 license.
yah the other negative reveiws are not wrong
Driver (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB28 May 2017
Drove for this company for about a year, I agree with the other negative reveiws unfortunatally. High risk cargo! Low reward!
Company is squeezing its resources and is all about the dollars.

that said

Some of the kids are really amazing people, and you might be able to make this balance with your other stuff. It is rather time consuming and is a full time in certain aspects given the need to refule clean and maintain vehicles, which can be like a fulltime job at part time pay.
Pros
kids can be hilarious
Cons
everything else

Want to know more about Southland Transportation?

Ask a question
Nice place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
Nice staff, nice place to work. Schedule works with those who have children to care for and other obligations. Somewhat stress free. The kids make your day worthwhile.
Great Place to work for stay home parents, no child care needed.
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2017
Over roll it is one of the best transportation company in Edmonton. Good training and great people to work with. If you are good driver and enjoy being with kids then this is The place to be.
Pros
No work during school breaks.
Cons
When bus need service then you have no choice, you have to be at the garage till the service done. This is your free time without any pay.
Drivers do all the work, get all the blame. No support
School Bus and Charter Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2017
I loved driving a bus and getting to know the students. The pay is absolutely not commensurate with the amount of responsibility. The ads stating "earn $100/day" are false unless you work many extra routes or charters. Any issue or problem falls on the driver and neither dispatch nor management provide and support. Although they do all the work, drivers are considered disposable and often let go for the smallest of incidents. There is an attitude of "don't complain, don't get fired" that permeates the bus yard. As much as I enjoyed the actual work, the miserable pay and endless psychological abuses are not worth the risk and responsibility.
Pros
Excellent work hours and schedule for parents with school age kids
Cons
Bad pay, no management support, more and more responsibility without compensation
Mico managed company with focus on shareholders
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB26 March 2017
Employees are a number on a spreadsheet, very high turn over of drivers.
Training is minimal but they will prepare and pay for a class 2 license.
Safety is strongly preached but not always enforced
a typical day starts at approx 06:30 with 2 hrs for your bus run, off till approx 14:30 then 2 hrs for afternoon run.
charters are available for extra hours, but at minimal pay.

Working with the children, while sometimes stressful is enjoyable if you are comfortable in that environment.
Pros
Time off if looking for part time work
Cons
Long day, no benifets for drivers, low pay.
good work environment
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
clean environment managers easy to work with safty department hard to get along with work place nice clean and new building
Summer Off
School Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2017
Day and Afternoon work. Friendly staff. Equipment well maintained.
Paid Training. OK to work here part time, not enough money to stay on for ever if there no other source of income.
Pros
Morning and Afternoon work
Cons
Not much Money.
Managment does not walk the talk
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2017
I like the driving and schedule even though it is an 11 hr day for 6 hrs pay.
However managment sucks. I have been a driver for 1 year and thee has been 2 direct supervisors. There has been other manager changes.
Safety Supervisor not present for 2 months.
No follow up on whether there was a protocol for having propane detectors in the mainteance shop.
Manadatory training impossible due to driving schedule.
All drivers must have a fuel card but none are available.
Propane busses must only be fueled at the yard where the pump is located and it is at the entrance to the shop so blocks the the entrance.to the shop.
Supervisors door is always opwn....bs... have to wait i line cos a fixed time to talk is never kept. No pay to wash bus .. if the wash bay is open
On and on and
Pros
The toilet always has paper
Cons
Many
Consistant work and still able to be home lots
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
I love working with kids, driving a large vehicle,being able to take my son with me, and also having almost my whole days at home and with my son!
Pros
lots of time at home
Cons
early hours, lots of driving
Productive Fun Place to work at
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 January 2017
Great company, great benefits, great people. Training provided, fantastic opportunity to work with a large group of dedicated to safety personal from a diverse group of people
n/a
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2017
typical day at work is never predicable.
hard to manage work life balance
very overwhelming at times
enjoyed building safety culture
some freedom to the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southland Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6