SOUTH SHORE HEALTH
POSITION VACANCY – COMP # SSR 160-12 , Closing date: March 17, 2013
FACILITY: Public Health Offices LOCATION: Bridgewater, N.S.
POSITION: Public Health Nurse PROGRAM: Communicable Disease Prevention and Control & Immunization
TYPE: Permanent, Full Time
Internal applicants must submit a current resume with their application to be considered for the position.
POSITION SCOPE: Reporting to the Local Public Health Leader, the Public Health Nurse (PHN) - Communicable Disease Prevention and Control (CDPC), works in collaboration with the CDPC Content Lead and others as appropriate to ensure communicable disease prevention and control programs and services are planned and implemented to address local population health needs.
The PHN works with community partners and stakeholders across multiple levels to take action in creating supportive social, economic, and physical environments and targeted approaches to reduce the risk of development and exposure to communicable diseases.
The PHN provides leadership and expertise in communicable disease prevention and control to perform their duties in outbreak prevention and management, immunization program implementation, emergency preparedness and environmental health and he/she ensures all notifiable disease are followed up in accordance with legislation and protocols.
The PHN shares a core set of public health attitudes and values, applies public health core competencies to all of his/her work and is accountable to provide competent, safe and ethical professional practice.
The PHN exhibits sound professional judgment and initiative while working within the Mission, Vision and Strategic Directions of the South Shore District Health Authority (SSDHA) and incorporates into daily practice the Core Competencies and Values of the SSDHA: Excellence, Integrity, Respect, Accountability and Leadership and ensures these guiding principles and practices along with ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and inter-professional collaboration are integrated within the work that they do and through the messages they deliver.
- Bachelor Degree in Nursing, and current registration or eligible to become registered with the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia.
- One year of recent (within one year) experience in the areas of partnership development; communicable disease prevention and control and/or infection control; or public health.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, ANDS and Meditech; and experience operating audio visual equipment and general office equipment.
- Completion of Public Health Agency of Canada Skills Enhancement courses for the Public Health Practitioner would be considered an asset.
- Understanding of a population based approach.
- Demonstrates the core competencies for public health as outlined in the job analysis.
- Knowledge of Health Protection Act and other relevant Regulations, Legislation and Acts.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, including team building, negotiation, conflict management.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary setting with a strong focus on citizen/community.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and be self-directed.
- Demonstrated judgment and decision making skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation.
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety.
- Physical capabilities to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated good attendance in current and past employment.
- Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment.
- Travel will be required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends.
AS PER CURRENT N.S.G.E.U. (PUBLIC HEALTH) COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT
Position to commence: Immediately.