Sony Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 June 2014
I consider working for Sony of my greatest learning experiences within my 5 years Retail Sales experience. I appreciated the company and could genuinely get behind the products and services they sold. And, every customer was a great learning experience and easy to uphold a good sales relationship with.

The team I worked with was phenomenal. They were all great team players and genuinely loved seeing everyone in the store do well. I was brought in to help train them in a new retail sales venture of selling Sony smart-phones with Rogers Services (Smart phone plans; 3 yr). They held a huge variety of product of which really helped me learn how to pick out a customers needs to a truly specific point, instead of just generalizing a small number of products from a variety of manufacturers.

The most challenging thing was that this is the only company that really tracked their sales reps 'erosion" percentage; as individuals we had to be monitoring and maintaining good sales targets without destroying the gross margin on the product(s) in question. On of the only retailers I've ever heard or seen of tracking it in this manner.

It was a disappointment that the store was closing as we tried to grasp for positions in the company, many of us took the opportunity (and severance package) and tried to expand into other sales fields.
Pros
Positive Environment
Cons
Short experience
Great products, but not the best place to work
Junior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 June 2014
Negative/Hostile work environment. Company suffered quite a bit in the recession, as a result there was a very tense working environment. Management was not always supportive, and found it to be a 'boys club'.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Negative attitudes, poor management
Colleagues are easy to go along with. Managers are supportive
SALES CONSULTANT/SUPERVISOR - Sony of Canada (Former Employee) –  Grandview Corners4 June 2014
It is not your usual mall sales environment. Selling is made fun because of interaction with customers especially for tech-savvy people. The hardest part of the job is only when there are a lot of customers and there are only too few sales consultants to entertain them.
Enjoyable experience working for Sony Canada.
ASSISTANT MANAGER / SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON3 June 2014
As a member of the team at The Sony Store in Niagara Falls, we strived to meet and exceed our sales goals as well as provide exceptional customer service. My years there were both fun and challenging, just the way I like it. Unfortunately though, the decision was made by our head office to close our store, bittersweet, but as they say, "when one door closes, another one opens"
Pros
Full Benefits
Good Company , Great people
Business Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2014
• Led efforts to switch legacy reporting to SAP Business Objects XIR 3.1 as an enterprise wide deployment.
• Led cross functional teams to gather and evaluate the key phases of the process to ensure smooth transition.
• Managed service process and technical training of all Sony’s products.
• Coordinated all internal and external follow-ups to close issues in support of the project requirements
• Created Requirement, Functional and Design documents as per Business requirements.
• Worked closely with Business and IT teams to develop project requirements.
• Performed gap analysis to identify any gaps during the mapping phase.
• Developed project plans that identify key issues, approaches and performance metrics
• Overseeing project & resource planning and the implementation of Agile based execution.
• Developed Quarterly targets for Authorized Sony Service Centers.
• Monitored Authorized Sony Service Centers KPI and KRA throughout the year.
• Developed work plans and coordinated activities between work streams and identify changes in scope.
Good Company with lots of great people. Too bad that the Vancouver branch has to be shut down due to the bad economic environment.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam BC2 May 2014
Good Company with lots of great people. Had a great time working there!
business focus is not too clear in the last 5 years.
Financial Analyst / Lease Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2014
No much information shared among employees. Everyone is trying to protect his/her own expertise.
A great place to work
Technical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2014
At Sony, it allows you to be creative. Gives you all the tools you need to succeed.
Pros
An environment where internal advancement is promoted
Cons
a positive working environment at Sony
Financial Analyst / Lease Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2014
My job at Sony is quite busy as I take up dual set of responsibilities as Financial Analyst & Retail Lease Administrator. A typical day starts with check and answer emails to internal & external customers first thing in the morning. Review some expense GLs, run reports, do analysis to resolve some issues either from system or from customers especially leasing related issues..
Time management is important, so always learn to make good use of time and be productive, and meet deadlines. However fun part is not ignored balanced work & fun is always encouraged so I would sometimes watch other co-workers play foosball for 15 minutes during my lunch hour.
Overall management in my group is positive and supportive to staff. The management behavior helps encourage the staff to excel in the job and stay loyal, open & accept different opinions.
The world is not perfect though, when you see deadline approaches and some hiccups in the system that some productivity hours or days lost while my job submission deadline did not get extended. Work overtime is unavoidable in this situation.
I like my job. It's interesting. My job is not just number crunching, it requires analytical skill to understand the business and the trend as historical part helps give the prediction in forecast or budget..
Personable work with retail experience
Playstation Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2014
Travelling to retail stores ensuring that the Playstation brand is represented with marketing materials appropriately and properly. Training staff on the latest and greatest features, products and games.
Creating marketing displays with display boxes, clings and such for windows, retail space in stores, etc.
Working with management within retail stores to place promotions and marketing materials to showcase the brand.
Flexible hours
excellent training
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 February 2014
good place to work , many courses provided to inprove technical level
Pros
training
Cons
low wages
Fun to work
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary Alberta17 February 2014
Always excited to come to work. Company recognizes your ability and consider you as part of the family.
I loved the old staff of Sony im sad they had to let so many good people go.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2014
Its a very long story I loved working for Sony Canada The training the staff all great. But i left very Disappointed in the way things ended very sort of secret hand shaking type of way.
Pros
Amazing new PK all the time. Lots of different culture.
Cons
Shady transfers. Too many good people getting layed off.
fast paced high volume
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 January 2014
At Sony I would open the store and complete any orders from the previous day, finish paper work as well as help any of the customers in the store. I learned various sales techniques along with a vast knowledge of digital media services. As I started as a sales associate and moved up to manager I got to see all sides of the business. Was fortunate enough to have a great support staff with me that was very helpful and ready for any challenge. The hardest part of the job was leaving as the closed the store, the most enjoyable part was working with my team and installing the products purchased by customers in there homes.
Pros
instalation of products
Cons
being closed down
Learning about different products
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York14 January 2014
-Troubleshooting different Sony products
-Friendly environment
-Different end users
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
it was a very good learning company
Sales Representative / Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  montreal,quebec16 November 2013
excellent company to work for but were cutting position very well organized and discipline
Pros
lot 's of activity
Cons
hours were fair
Tamer Salem
Sales Representative and key holder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 November 2013
only staff member besides upper management that was given Codes and keys to both stores (at the time). leader in the workplace, highly efficient sales person, highly capable in training and recruiting new staff.
Pros
great workplace, great staff discount
Cons
not much in the way of upward mobility and all stores are currently closed in winnipeg
Company's concern is sales
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 November 2013
Comapny's concern is always the bottom line. That is why no one stays for a long time.
Promoted goods and services;
Bi-lingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  whitby10 October 2013
• Answered, in person or on the phone, enquiries from customers;
• Investigated complaints regarding the establishment's goods, services and policies;
• Ordered services and goods;
• Promoted goods and services
Great Place to Work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Vancouver, BC5 August 2013
Good work environment. Great place to work. Good benefits and a very transparent working environment. Good benefits and culture.
Pros
Fkexible Hours
Cons
Store is Burnaby, Richmond and Vancouver