Sony of Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
a positive working environment at Sony
Financial Analyst / Lease Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 9, 2014
My job at Sony is quite busy as I take up dual set of responsibilities as Financial Analyst & Retail Lease Administrator. A typical day starts with check and answer emails to internal & external customers first thing in the morning. Review some expense GLs, run reports, do analysis to resolve some issues either from system or from customers especially leasing related issues..
Time management is important, so always learn to make good use of time and be productive, and meet deadlines. However fun part is not ignored balanced work & fun is always encouraged so I would sometimes watch other co-workers play foosball for 15 minutes during my lunch hour.
Overall management in my group is positive and supportive to staff. The management behavior helps encourage the staff to excel in the job and stay loyal, open & accept different opinions.
The world is not perfect though, when you see deadline approaches and some hiccups in the system that some productivity hours or days lost while my job submission deadline did not get extended. Work overtime is unavoidable in this situation.
I like my job. It's interesting. My job is not just number crunching, it requires analytical skill to understand the business and the trend as historical part helps give the prediction in forecast or budget..
Fast paced work environment catering to retail with many deadlines
Logistics Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Whitby, OntarioApril 30, 2015
Pros: Versatile and never boring
Cons: Lots of overtime from October to December. Good for the wallet. ;-)
The beginning of each month usually starts slow and ramps up by month end to meet all the sales targets.
I learned every aspect of the warehouse and office work in my 24 years there. If you want to learn, there is no limit. The employees were great to work with and I miss working with them.
The hardest part of the job was working 7 days a week from October to December but it made me appreciate the weekends much more when it was slow again.
It was a great job all around my favorite part was helping employees with work issues and working with Order Management to make sure the special handling orders were taken care of appropriately.
Good Place to Kickstart a career
Event, Marketing and Training Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: great way to get started in the industry
Cons: easy to plateau with opportunities few and far between
Great place to work if you're looking to be a part of a industry leader in consumer electronics.
Be the envy of all of your friends and family, by being the one who had a one up on all of the latest advancements in technology.

Very hard working culture with honest values for such a large company. Excellent and inviting environment from the cafeteria team all the way to the president.

At times got lost in the shuffle as to what our roles really were with limited options to move up due to the size of Sony of Canada.
Great employee benefits including advancements
HR MANAGER (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 11, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: long hours
Working at Sony were very rewarding for me, because I am a dedicated hard worker. Check and respond to all email and voice mails and lay out project to be completed for the day week and month. I learned to balance my work by staying current on all issues. Our management team was very understanding because we they all faced the same challenges. My support staff and peers are very dedicated and all did what is necessary to complete the day to day tasks. The hardest part of the job were the long hours. Most enjoyable and rewarding were the project I worked on.
Fun, interactive, innovative workplace
Sr. Coordinator, Service and Engineering Division (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: abiltiy to learn a lot of different programs.
Cons: long hours
Provided admin support to the Operations Manager. Assisted with coordinating the yearly service conference. Prepared PowerPoint presentations, took minutes and collected supporting documentation. Managed and updated service center database in Access and Filemaker. Provided reports for Technical Field Repos for training, insurance and contracl renewals for 200 service centres nationally. Created, distributed and analyzed data for customer surveys. Created and maintained the diviional intranet web sige in Front Page. Prepared month end reporting using SAP, Excel and Crystal.
Day to day
Store Supervisor (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioJuly 12, 2012
• Key holder: Responsible for opening and closing the store
• Managed a high-volume store (Heartland Town Centre)
• Became the "go-to" person to train both new and established employees
• Improving customer service based on client feedback
• Describe merchandise and explain use/operation, and care of products to customers
• Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain products based on customer needs
• Generated repeat business through successful client follow-ups
• Handles service, parts, and shipping and receiving
• Recognized for assuming additional responsibilities
Stressful and not fun but easy. That may seem to make little sense but it is not the job that is hard. It was the management and some of the staff.
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Whitby, ONNovember 7, 2014
Pros: met good friends.
Cons: shift changes every two weeks. mornings / afternoons... half hour lunches.
Was a very nice place over all but stressful. I saw management penalize employees for making mistakes but it was done in a way that would embarrass the employee.
Great place to work lots of room for growth
Store Manager (Former Employee), All over GTAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: first sight of new technology
Cons: retail hours
Running the store as it was your own
It is very difficult staying #1
Managers are very encouraging and work longer hours that you
Co-Workers are always helpful and always work as a team
Dealing with customers you know are wrong
Getting to set up new products that just arrived
Almost perfect
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCNovember 1, 2012
Pros: salary, enviroment
Cons: shift rotations, seasonal
great enviroment to work, lots of work to keep you going though out the day, friendly co-workers and management.

someone willing to help you if you can't finish it before the shift or timeframe.

only downside is keeping the job they usually hire for seasonal and keep only one person for the future if needed.
Yearly downsizing is a concern - Strong brand name
Supply Chain Group (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2015
you can learn a lot and great working staff
management needs improvement to keep this company going
hardest part of the job is keep taking on additional work not related to your position without the increase in salary to compensate for it
Continuous learning focused on streamlining processes
Supervisor, Sales Order Management (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: respected
Cons: long hours
Multi tasking from people management, tasks and master data
Personal journey, learned to strive for excellence
Management focused toward company objectives
Co-Workers hard working
Policy can sometimes slow down progress
Creativity and change
very nice place to work,friendly people
Technician III (Former Employee), toronto,ontApril 21, 2015
Pros: learning new products
Cons: losts of pressure to finish jab on time
lots of different products to repair
working in service team was mostly pleasure
good caring managment
most enjoy playing soccer with sony team
take part in national service contest
Years at Sony
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 5, 2015
Sony as Brand is very well respected and strong. But unfortunately as per market competition the company couldn't sustain the decade old market share and brand image. Proud to work for Sony for 7 years but feel very helpless and sad looking at current market share of Sony TV business.
Great place to get trained, limited advancement unless in marketing
Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, OntJuly 10, 2012
Pros: training
Cons: no support in sales
huge uphill battle ahead with lack of leadership and vision.
very low morale.
Great employees.
Not open to input or ideas for change
Great place to work - management is very good.
Marketing Manager / Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: work culture is collaborative
Cons: industry saturation
I loved working with Sony. Management and co workers are very nice. Everyone tries to help each other. Sony continuously comes out with great products which are very exciting to market.
Excellent place to work
Store Operations Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioSeptember 10, 2015
Pros: paid travel and food, culture name
Cons: Extended work hours, Lots of travel
Over all a very good company to work for. Lots of learning and trainings for all. Japanese management style very comfortable working experience. Very good working environment and less stressed job.
Great Enviroment
Field Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: fun, great people
Cons: hard to move up
Great company to work for they really appreciate their employees. Everyone is super friendly and they have some excellent products. Great entery level position for people who just entered the workforce.
Very interesting and challenging job.
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2013
Pros: dealing with new products on monthly basis.
Cons: electronics very tough market
Productive and good place to work.We had to close a few locations since a electronic business on difficulty at this time.
worked there a long time ago
Dealer Support Representative (Former Employee), MississaugaMarch 10, 2015
Nice company
small and you get to know everyone
located in Mississauga
Typical 9 - 5 job
Had fun outings and lunches
Worked there a long time ago and dont remember much
Good place to start
Field Marketing (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2015
This role is ideal for people looking to their start career and learn new skills. Good company and great people to work with however compensation is below par and growth is minimal.