Sonoco Products Company Employee Reviews

Great Southern Corporate Company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCApril 11, 2016
I had the privilege to intern with this company for 6 months paid. This was a stellar company top to bottom that really cares about their people and the company. Very low turn over rate. Company is growing with a lot more younger people. Small town is evolving with a lot of various stores and attractions.
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Very Prodcutive Company
Production Team Leader, Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 8, 2015
Work place was a very energetic and caring environment. Employees always eager to learn knew skills. I managed a crew of Ten or more on the daily basis. From day to day basis I performed a variety of skills and task which lead to a great production report.
Pros
healthcare, salary, and supportive administration
Factory Worker (Current Employee) –  Rural Hall, NCNovember 22, 2015
We always had a busy day. Constantly moving and staying busy. the hardest part about the job is standing there for nine hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that at the end of the day, I worked hard and will get good money.
Pros
Breaks
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHOctober 21, 2015
Long hours, Great pay. Somewhat good health package. Some management was good to work for. Monthly bonuses. More for a single person due to long work hours
Pros
Monthly bonus
Fun work place
Inspector/Packer (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCSeptember 9, 2015
Great job... friendly and fast paced environment. The hours were good how ever its closing down without notice and I really liked the job.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Slow at times
Good summer job
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 29, 2015
I was a temp for the summer and enjoyed my time. It had a good work environment and fun people to work with. Wasn't too stressful and the hours were perfect for a good balance of work and personal life.
Good company
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCJuly 29, 2015
People genuinely work together to solve problems. Large company that attempts to share information across locations. Sometimes politics gets in the way of progress and growth.
Pros
Organization tries to help you develop and grow professionally.
Cons
Culture is changing. Benefits are being reduced.
Secure, stable, innovating
Line Lead/ Winder Operator (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHJuly 3, 2015
Sonoco remains competitive by adapting to the market, a strong safety culture, and continuously driving cost out of business. They do this while fairly compensating their employees.
Good place to work at with proper management personel
Production/Quality Employee at Memphis (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 11, 2015
A typical work day here consisted of loading metal into a press, sleeving product and stacking finished product onto finished pallet. Required quality checks of finished products were also performed at required hours. Work with the quality department to properly diagnose customer complaints and defects found at process. Properly putting the finished product and raw material into oracle throughout the shift was required. Here I learned how to use Oracle, which is a much more effective way of keeping track of finished product and raw material in real time. I caught on and learned Oracle so quickly that management made me an Oracle super user, where I would help out co-workers when they had problems with Oracle or when the supervisors were busy with other tasks. Management here was horrible, the decisions that were made on a daily basis were horrible and made no sense in the long run. It was poorly run and management treated employees very poorly. To me, they didn't seem to know much about successfully running a business.
Pros
Health insurance and 401k plan
Cons
Poor management
Productive and professional. Great environment and great employees.
Data Entry/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCApril 22, 2015
• Worked as a team and individually to meet sales and production goals set by management.
• Worked in marketing for each product group and minor to categorize items into proper placement.
• Worked in the Master Estimates of products to correct the packaging process.
• Update and change information from old system to convert into new system.
• Used Microsoft Excel to create product lists for items needing updates or corrections
Great compensation , horrible job work/life balance
Assistant Operator (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VAMarch 9, 2015
Start equipment to start production process
Lift raw materials manually or with hoists
Operate machinery used in the production process , assisting operator
Clean equipment
Observe equipment operations to inform the operator of any malfunctions
Examine products to ensure good quality cans are being shipped
Change machine gears for different can sizes
was beautiful to work for Sonoco
Lead Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAFebruary 24, 2015
was a very good company I loved to work for Sonoco.
people were very nice I,m sad that they have to close after 14 year.
working for them,
Uncaring Management and Uncaring Corporate Support
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, North CarolinaDecember 4, 2014
Does not matter how long you worked there or how hard/good you did your job. More like "popularity" contest. Like being back in high school. Not a "yes man" so did not go over well with new management. They say they want to "grow employees" NOT true.
Cons
they tell you great things to get you in the door but never follow through with them.
work was very hard
fotklift oper yardjockey (Former Employee) –  robesonia pa 19551October 10, 2014
great co-workers days went fast very fast paced worked there 36yrs
Pros
days went fast lots of ot
Cons
did follow company policies
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCAugust 11, 2014
Given many opportunities to further my experiences and field work.
Great employees(co-workers). Great benefits. Very Poor Management.
Forklift (Former Employee) –  Newport, TNJuly 27, 2014
Sonoco overall was a great place to work. When I started in 1996 it was an awesome job with exceptional management. Then over the years the management of the company declined drastically. They quit caring about the employees and started treating them as just another number. This was a culture change that myself along with many others found unacceptable for which the reason we decided to pursue other job opportunities.
Excellent company
Finishing Leader / Setup Attendant (Former Employee) –  Montville, NJJune 28, 2014
- good benefit
- stop auditor
- good supervisor
- good management
Productive and challenging
Administrative Secretary/Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCJune 27, 2014
My typical day at work is extremely busy and challenging. Almost every day brings about something new to learn which is very exciting for me.

The management team is very supportive, provides career development and training, and pushes to strive for success.

My co-workers are a great group of people to work with and very respectful and nice to be around on a daily basis, which makes the day go by and very enjoyable.
Pros
flexible work schedule and able to work from home
always busy, physically active
Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KYMay 29, 2014
This was a good job, great people, pay was alright for the time and I like the work.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
long commute
Great opportunities!
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport, TNJanuary 3, 2014
I enjoyed my 19 years with Sonoco. I was offered a number of opportunities for professional growth
Pros
good compensation, benefits
Cons
can be stressful