We are looking for a COMPANION/caregiver for our father. I wrote companion in capitals as that is the biggest component of the job. Both my mother and father live in Northern Alberta (one hour north from Grande Prairie).
My father is 73 years old and gets around using a cane/walker and can do the daily tasks like go to the bathroom, wash, shower/bathe, eat and dress himself but sometimes requests help.
My mother is in excellent health and looks after my father but she works part-time five days a week and it is during those times when my father needs assistance/companionship.
Our ideal requirement is for a live-out/live-in caregiver full time (40 hours a week). However, since my father does not require 24 hours a day care but rather a companion we have flexibility with the position (i.e. work 3 weeks 1 week off). Also, we are experienced with the LMO process if that is a factor.
Duties would include:
1. Motivate him to stay active (doing light exercise, talking him for walks, playing cards, swimming, etc.)
2. Ensuring that he checks his blood sugar and record the readings.
3. Keep track of his daily food and exercise.
4. Take him for walks, assist him with his rehab exercises.
5. Provide general assistance.
6. Prepare his meals (breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner)
1. Experience with the elderly
2. Strong command of the English language. The primary role is to be companion and converse with my father.
3. Have a valid drivers license (preferred)
Rate of pay is based on qualifications and experience.