SolarWinds

SolarWinds Employee Reviews

No leadership, no opportunity for growth, unethical sales tactics
Maintenance and Renewals Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT18 October 2016
Terrible management and leadership. They will fire you the moment you miss a goal. They don't coach and train, they also use shady tactics with their customers. Using misleading phrases and leading customers believe that prices will go up, bad things will happen etc.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Terrible leadership, just terrible! Working late on month and quarter end.
Solarwind (Formally Logicnow)
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NC5 July 2016
We were recently purchase by Solarwinds, so it a bit hard to comment. Merging the two companies are still in the initial stages.
Pros
Free lunch twice a week, Game Room, and Snack and Drinks provided
Sell sell sell
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT12 May 2016
Great people to work with. Micro management. They bring in lunch 2 times a week. Sell more sell more sell more!

I have no more to say about this company.
Pros
Lunch twice a week
Cons
Micro manage
account management
Account Manager EMEA (Current Employee) –  Cork13 April 2016
my normal Work day starts at 7 and finishes around 5 pm , i manage 80 tier 1 customer accounts.

Duties include ;
liaising with technical support , customer care and finance teams daily to ensure VIP customers needs are being catered for.

a typical day at work would be extremely busy but enjoyable Demonstrating software updates,carrying out customer license /account reviews and new business development daily, the hardest part of the job is trying to find time for lunch.

the most enjoyable part of the job is closing deals and hitting my number :)
Pros
free lunch
Great Place to work
Corporate Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX1 April 2016
Lot of snacks and free food. Cool building to work in. Nice view of downtown. Best company I've ever worked for in Austin.
great products
Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UT8 March 2016
great co workers, competitive but fun environment. Products are easy to sell. Supportive management team. On going training and support
Pros
free lunches, protected territories
Cons
office location
Ch-ch-changes
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX29 February 2016
SolarWinds is ever changing. Every year there is a new strategy and the entire company tries to align itself. With so many shifts, it can be hard to follow through. Often, new strategies are rolled out company wide without any explanation around why we're moving away from the previous strategy. These radical shifts in strategy keep things interesting, although most employees doubt that management actually knows what they are doing.

SolarWinds recently went private and it will be interesting to see where the company goes from here. Most of the company is hoping for big changes. Status quo is not great.

Note that, like many bigger companies, the SolarWinds culture varies a lot by department. I can only speak for the product/engineering group.

The best part about working with SolarWinds is working on products that help IT professionals do their job. The customers are generally friendly and like SolarWinds products. Unlike so many enterprise software companies, SolarWinds ships products that customers actually use. That makes me feel like the work that I do has real purpose.
Pros
Useful software (not shelfware), often promote from within
Cons
Management no longer cares about shipping software that actually helps customers
Technical Support is great
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT11 January 2016
I worked in TS in Lehi, and my manager there was probably the best manager I have ever had. He had a talent for finding people who could do the work, and were also fun to be around. We seriously did not have a single person who I wouldn't hang out with.

I know what you are thinking, that means I was "that guy". Perhaps, but if that is the case, then they are missing their village idiot. Go fill that void.

Like every tech support job I've heard of, they track metrics. Sometimes those numbers do not represent hard work (or a lack of hard work). But overall the metrics were not that bad. When they were at their worst, it was because upper management was emphasizing numbers, and that rolls downhill. However, that seemed to have been a thing of the past when I left (Dec 2015).
Pros
Free lunches Tuesday and Friday, well stocked snacks and pop.
Cons
There is some emphasis on metrics, and those metrics do not always fairly represent reality.
Global company
Senior Tester (Current Employee) –  Chennai, TN7 November 2015
Good work culture and ethics
Fun filled activities and events
Team lunch and outings
Training on new applications and process
Nice people to work with
Enjoyable environment with good team
Global Order Management Processor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX23 September 2015
I enjoy working at SolarWinds, they really do take care of their employees with lunches every week and team outings. Any event involving the SolarWinds company is always something to look forward to. I work up in Finance currently, which is a quiet work environment but they still appreciate laughter and good conversation. Sometimes we work later than expected but the managers do what they can to help us get out on time.
Solarwinds
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT27 August 2015
Is an amazing company to work for with Great Benefits, Culture and Te-am atmosphere. Great product line and is always innovating to stay ahead of the market and offer products that are extremely efficient and user friendly.
Pros
Free lunches twice a week
Cons
Location in Utah is in Lehi - Hour outside of major city
Productive and fun loving activities in every quater
R&D Tester (Current Employee) –  Chennai, TN23 May 2015
Solarwinds is purely networking based company and it locates across the globe Chennai,brno,austin,poland etc.

Overall nice company to work.
Pros
Free lunches, Games
Cons
Time zones difference will make us to work till late nights
Be forewarned
Middle Management (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX30 April 2015
With SolarWinds - it is a love/hate relationship. The company has such promise, but is missing fundamental core values. Lacking those core values causes poor decision causing people to sacrifice integrity and trust.
It's really unfortunate that there is such a yes culture at the top. It does the company no good because people make fear based decisions and focus decisions on what looks right rather than what is best for the business.

There is no work-life balance. The more you give, the
more they take and with very little thanks. It is a good place to cut your teeth and get some real hands-on experience. It should not be viewed as a place where you will grow, so know that going in and have an exit strategy in place.

There are no career paths and very limited opportunities for advancement. Those rare opportunities are not awarded to those most fit for the job, they are awarded on whether or not you are friends with the right people. If you are looking for advancement, ask and ask and ask some more on what the path is. They will tell you there is a path, so ask that they define it.

Advice - get in, get out and move on. Or just don't get in if you have a strong moral code. Ask your recruiter what the attrition rate (for NON sales employees) is and compare it to other companies.
Pros
free lunch 2x a week, some fun people
Cons
Culture - the few fun people aren't worth it, horrible work-life balance, complete lack of appreciation for hard-work
Need to be an absolute hustler
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX21 April 2015
This is a good job for people who have a background in software. Can be frustrating for anyone who is new to sales.
Great team environment and management is there to help you out.
They do a great job at making you feel like your working for a small company while being public.
Fun environment, opportunity to make alot of money if you are fed
Dedicated Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CO15 February 2015
This COULD be a great company to work for. They feed some employees and leave the others to fend for themselves. Those that are fed make BIG money and are constantly closing business The rest of us are held to the same standard and expected to close as much as those that are fed, and its just not possible.
Pros
Free lunches n Weds. Fun Culture. Money to be made.
Cons
Ridiculous quota. Unrealistic expectations.
Sales Driven and Target focused roll.
Inside Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Cork, C9 October 2014
I contact leads that downloaded a free 30 day trial of the SolarWinds software to assist them technically and commercially with this software and over see all aspects of the sale from download to final purchase.I work with the salesforce database to organise this process.
It opened my eyes to how big business works and gives me insight into this highly dynamic environment.
Management are very interactive and take a day to day hands on approach to working with each ISR which is very effective.
Great co-workers and get on well with everyone.
Keeping sales figures consistently high.
My co workers make it a very enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Working with all different types of people and cultures.
Cons
Long hours and very little time for much else.
Top Employer in Austin
Corporate Recruiter (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX13 September 2014
SolarWinds is an innovative, fast paced and dynamic company in Austin. Their products are top-notch and cutting edge.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
terrible work/life balance
Fast Paced and HIgh Energy
Account Executive Western US and Canada (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX22 July 2014
Very aggressive paced and rewarding environment. The software is excellent so the sales model is one that assumes that they are going to buy, you are there to determine when. From day one of the quarter, you are pressing short timelines and aggressive discounts in exchange for immediate turn around. Very fun place to work but not for passive people that are looking for a more relax work day. This is Hungry Hungry Hippo for adults
Pros
Free Lunches and high pay
Cons
Always pressing-not neccessarily a Con, but if there were one, that would be it
Fun to work with free food!
IT Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Manila, Philippines13 June 2014
The company is a bit young in the industry. Its been around for 15 years and it just started in Philippines.Its been a year it started here in Philippines.

A typical day at work would be checking my emails and go over for those important and directed to me. Review reports emailed from the Symantec manager and login to the antivirus manager to check the status and logs of the server and monitor any alerts that could be a potential threat.

I have learned alot from SolarWinds in handling different monitoring tools, like Symantec, PaloAlto firewalls and etc. My co-workers are fun to be with.I can see that they are enjoying their work while working at SolarWinds.

So far the job not that difficult to manage or handle and not i can think of that i seen that is difficult to handle. The most enjoyable part of the job is the free food offered by SolarWinds to its employees.
Good benefits and culture
Inside sales (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX7 April 2014
Good people, catered lunches twice a week,good compensation/benefits. high pressure sales, very much a buy today mentality. great product that almost sells itself. 9 times out of 10, I was simply facilitating the transaction and pushing timeframes more then selling. Didn't always put the customer first. Kind of got the used car salesman vibe.(many customers would reiterate the same feeling) Overall, not a bad place to work but would be tough to make a career out of it.
Pros
Free lunches and company outings, lots of contests and spiffs
Cons
High pressure