SolarWinds Employee Reviews

Great Atmosphere, Fun, Loving place
Federal and Commercial Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX2 May 2017
Constantly growing and learning environment. Relentlessly positive is what they strive for in the work place. Very personable and professional place..
Pros
Training programs, great management, Free lunch and events
Cons
you used to have to work late, but this has changed significantly.
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Au10 April 2017
This is a wholesome place to work with awesome atmosphere. I enjoyed the day to day work and motions. I highly recommend this company to tech people everywhere.
Its Most enjoyable part of the job
Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chennai, Tamil Nadu27 February 2017
 Direct go-to-market strategies, messaging, and product positioning
 Design and implement customer-centric strategies (70,000 customers. product demos. presentations)
 Analyze market, talk to customers - Strategize and consult on product requirements, roadmaps, and pricing changes
 Execute product launches – owned 8 products, and executed 5 product launches
Want you to be at work all day
Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT17 January 2017
This company would prefer you be single and able to work all 24 hours of the day. They say 9-5 but expect 6am-9pm.

The culture at first was great and the people were outstanding, the downfall was with higher ups forcing employees to stay late and saying that they will excuse us when they feel like it. i had a bad experience with this company. I would encourage people to make their own assessment.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay, laptop use.
Cons
Long hours, hostile work environment with threats to job.
Young and Enthusiastic Tech Company
TRAVEL AND CORPORATE SERVICES COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX13 December 2016
Great work environment. Lots of benefits and perks, including excellent healthcare, catered lunches twice weekly, and fully stocked kitchens. Lots of genuine, honest, hard-working people in all departments especially Tech Support, IT, and Maintenance Renewals.
Pros
Healthcare, Catered Lunches, Snacks/Coffee
Cons
Management in Facilities Department
No leadership, no opportunity for growth, unethical sales tactics
Maintenance and Renewals Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT18 October 2016
Terrible management and leadership. They will fire you the moment you miss a goal. They don't coach and train, they also use shady tactics with their customers. Using misleading phrases and leading customers believe that prices will go up, bad things will happen etc.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Terrible leadership, just terrible! Working late on month and quarter end.
Enjoyed my stay
Chief Software Architect, Vice President (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX18 July 2016
Management not product focused, simply bottom line focused.
Good pay and benefits and smart people. All in all, a positive experience.
Solarwind (Formally Logicnow)
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NC5 July 2016
We were recently purchase by Solarwinds, so it a bit hard to comment. Merging the two companies are still in the initial stages.
Pros
Free lunch twice a week, Game Room, and Snack and Drinks provided
Sell sell sell
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT12 May 2016
Great people to work with. Micro management. They bring in lunch 2 times a week. Sell more sell more sell more!

I have no more to say about this company.
Pros
Lunch twice a week
Cons
Micro manage
account management
Account Manager EMEA (Current Employee) –  Cork13 April 2016
my normal Work day starts at 7 and finishes around 5 pm , i manage 80 tier 1 customer accounts.

Duties include ;
liaising with technical support , customer care and finance teams daily to ensure VIP customers needs are being catered for.

a typical day at work would be extremely busy but enjoyable Demonstrating software updates,carrying out customer license /account reviews and new business development daily, the hardest part of the job is trying to find time for lunch.

the most enjoyable part of the job is closing deals and hitting my number :)
Pros
free lunch
Great Place to work
Corporate Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX1 April 2016
Lot of snacks and free food. Cool building to work in. Nice view of downtown. Best company I've ever worked for in Austin.
great products
Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UT8 March 2016
great co workers, competitive but fun environment. Products are easy to sell. Supportive management team. On going training and support
Pros
free lunches, protected territories
Cons
office location
Ch-ch-changes
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX29 February 2016
SolarWinds is ever changing. Every year there is a new strategy and the entire company tries to align itself. With so many shifts, it can be hard to follow through. Often, new strategies are rolled out company wide without any explanation around why we're moving away from the previous strategy. These radical shifts in strategy keep things interesting, although most employees doubt that management actually knows what they are doing.

SolarWinds recently went private and it will be interesting to see where the company goes from here. Most of the company is hoping for big changes. Status quo is not great.

Note that, like many bigger companies, the SolarWinds culture varies a lot by department. I can only speak for the product/engineering group.

The best part about working with SolarWinds is working on products that help IT professionals do their job. The customers are generally friendly and like SolarWinds products. Unlike so many enterprise software companies, SolarWinds ships products that customers actually use. That makes me feel like the work that I do has real purpose.
Pros
Useful software (not shelfware), often promote from within
Cons
Management no longer cares about shipping software that actually helps customers
Technical Support is great
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT11 January 2016
I worked in TS in Lehi, and my manager there was probably the best manager I have ever had. He had a talent for finding people who could do the work, and were also fun to be around. We seriously did not have a single person who I wouldn't hang out with.

I know what you are thinking, that means I was "that guy". Perhaps, but if that is the case, then they are missing their village idiot. Go fill that void.

Like every tech support job I've heard of, they track metrics. Sometimes those numbers do not represent hard work (or a lack of hard work). But overall the metrics were not that bad. When they were at their worst, it was because upper management was emphasizing numbers, and that rolls downhill. However, that seemed to have been a thing of the past when I left (Dec 2015).
Pros
Free lunches Tuesday and Friday, well stocked snacks and pop.
Cons
There is some emphasis on metrics, and those metrics do not always fairly represent reality.
Global company
Senior Tester (Current Employee) –  Chennai, TN7 November 2015
Good work culture and ethics
Fun filled activities and events
Team lunch and outings
Training on new applications and process
Nice people to work with
Enjoyable environment with good team
Global Order Management Processor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX23 September 2015
I enjoy working at SolarWinds, they really do take care of their employees with lunches every week and team outings. Any event involving the SolarWinds company is always something to look forward to. I work up in Finance currently, which is a quiet work environment but they still appreciate laughter and good conversation. Sometimes we work later than expected but the managers do what they can to help us get out on time.
Solarwinds
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT27 August 2015
Is an amazing company to work for with Great Benefits, Culture and Te-am atmosphere. Great product line and is always innovating to stay ahead of the market and offer products that are extremely efficient and user friendly.
Pros
Free lunches twice a week
Cons
Location in Utah is in Lehi - Hour outside of major city
Productive and fun loving activities in every quater
R&D Tester (Current Employee) –  Chennai, TN23 May 2015
Solarwinds is purely networking based company and it locates across the globe Chennai,brno,austin,poland etc.

Overall nice company to work.
Pros
Free lunches, Games
Cons
Time zones difference will make us to work till late nights
Be forewarned
Middle Management (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX30 April 2015
With SolarWinds - it is a love/hate relationship. The company has such promise, but is missing fundamental core values. Lacking those core values causes poor decision causing people to sacrifice integrity and trust.
It's really unfortunate that there is such a yes culture at the top. It does the company no good because people make fear based decisions and focus decisions on what looks right rather than what is best for the business.

There is no work-life balance. The more you give, the
more they take and with very little thanks. It is a good place to cut your teeth and get some real hands-on experience. It should not be viewed as a place where you will grow, so know that going in and have an exit strategy in place.

There are no career paths and very limited opportunities for advancement. Those rare opportunities are not awarded to those most fit for the job, they are awarded on whether or not you are friends with the right people. If you are looking for advancement, ask and ask and ask some more on what the path is. They will tell you there is a path, so ask that they define it.

Advice - get in, get out and move on. Or just don't get in if you have a strong moral code. Ask your recruiter what the attrition rate (for NON sales employees) is and compare it to other companies.
Pros
free lunch 2x a week, some fun people
Cons
Culture - the few fun people aren't worth it, horrible work-life balance, complete lack of appreciation for hard-work
Need to be an absolute hustler
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX21 April 2015
This is a good job for people who have a background in software. Can be frustrating for anyone who is new to sales.
Great team environment and management is there to help you out.
They do a great job at making you feel like your working for a small company while being public.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarWinds. Our community is ready to answer.