SolarCity Employee Reviews

Fun loud working environment
Inside Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA19 June 2017
Great job really enjoyed helping people enroll in solar and take advantage of lower energy bills. I enjoyed some of the employees and the culture outside of the extra curricular issues going on ie. unfortunately there was a little too much fun happening with some of the management, drinking on lunch hours, using illegal substances etc. That was not in my work ethics.
Pros
fast paced environment full of energy, good benefits, and great training
Cons
high pressure, drugs and alcohol abuse with in management
talented team
Site Surveyor II (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PA18 June 2017
I enjoy interacting with everyone that I work with at SolarCity. Have had the opportunity to cross train with other departments. The company expects quality work in a timely fashion.
Company shut down sales operation
Solar Engineering Consultant (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZ17 June 2017
I enjoyed the work. I wished they had continued the direct sales channel. I was able to refine some sales skills I had not use for some time. I am still a believer in solar power.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV15 June 2017
Solar city offered quite a few different means and modes of advancement, even through their sales programs. it's a high stress position but the compensation is awesome. there were opportunities to advance and there was attention payed to the personal approach of each agent. it was a great place to work and i recommended it to a few of my friends.
Pros
free lunch, snacks, and a mellow work envorinment
Cons
a little out of the way location wise
great place to work. Grew a lot
Energy Consultant & Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZ14 June 2017
I started with SolarCity and didn't know I could succeed. With tremendous work ethic and coaching I was able to succeed and get promoted. It involved door to door sales.
yeah i guess
Commercial Installer (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CT12 June 2017
I mean if you can get a job with these guys then do it because it wasnt that bad and there was alot of money to be made. i did commercial and the travel was cool until it wasnt
It's a work a day job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Draper, UT 8402012 June 2017
There's a lot of good people, but the work can get a little hectic, but if you need somewhere to start or trying something new, then SolarCity/Tesla is a good place.
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Maryland12 June 2017
everything good, you load your job in the morning, leaving there shop and star to work, we lear a lot with the training, working the culture good, hard part to job working all time push and do a lot stuff and more and more, and never get a promotion, enjoyable everybody friendly.
good place overall
Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Chico, CA8 June 2017
Show up at 530,load up the truck ,leave shop by 630 often done by 2pm but also out past past 8 or 9 somedays. Learned a lot of electrical and solar info great training programs no limit on learning or information sharing. management keeps a lot of secrets and has agendas that are not always right. Time given for projects is not sufficient for the safety and quality expected and often manpower also isnt sufficient. As a crew lead you are expected to give results and not excuses and figure it out. Pay was good, learning was good, people were good.
Pros
pay, 2 weeks paternity leave paid, benefits, stocks
Cons
long hours, demanding expectations
Fast paced growth oriented
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA7 June 2017
• Meet with as many Home Depot customers as possible and introduce SolarCity
• Guide quality prospects to understand basic benefits of residential solar and SolarCity program
• Determine suitability of sites using proprietary tools and satellite technology
• Schedule in-home consultations for in-depth analysis and proposed solution
• Work closely with sales consultants to ensure best customer experience
Pros
best energy vision of any company, tour Tesla factory, great team work
Exciting and Fun Enviornment, Unstable Market
Field Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJ6 June 2017
Fast paced, ever changing, family like culture. Everyone takes pride in saving the planet by lowering pollution generated by burning fossil fuels when switching to solar.
Pros
Family Like Environment, Fun, Exciting
Cons
Bad Management, High Turnover, Lots of Software Issues.
Position of FES is a tough job.
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA5 June 2017
This is a tough position to take. Its constant running around trying to book appointments to people who aren't looking for solar power or in many cases can even have it in their homes for a multitude of reasons. There are quotas and it can be very frustrating at times.
Pros
You meet a lot of people.
Cons
There is a lot of skepticism you will encounter.
bad place to work
Field Energy Specialist, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CT5 June 2017
Worked here for over 1.5 years. Was a top performer in the northeast region. Saw many good employees leave because they weren't promoted, I did the same.

Would NOT recommend working here. No work to life balance and good luck taking any time off.
Pros
Cult
Cons
no time for family or life, a lot of work for little pay
Summary
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NY5 June 2017
Worked alongside enthusiastic professionals, filled with nothing short of positive energy that made for a great work place. Coupled with good competition within our company made for an exciting work place. Made excellent contacts through out my 2 years there and now looking to park in a new similar or different environment with the same positive energy.
Pros
Great Management/Competitive Pay
Cons
Nights/Weekends
Great company
Sr. Installer (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CA4 June 2017
Great company, wish I still worked there. I worked for Solarcity for a year then they had a reduction in force/lay off. I've been trying to get back with them to this day!
Pros
pay, growth, and overall great work enviroment
Cons
Cut backs
Low pay but great in all other ways
Contract Reassignment Agent (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CA31 May 2017
SolarCity has a powerful vision as well as great leadership and managers. There was a good work life balance and I had 3 weeks of vacation per year. Also, the work place was fast paced, it kept me on my toes and helped me become a multitasking ninja! The one down side is that they pay below market rate.
Good Intentions, Poor Execution
Sr. PV Designer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA31 May 2017
I learned a lot at SolarCity, but I definitely witnessed a company grow too fast first hand for the first time. People who were unfit were promoted into management jobs and as a result, quality and direction suffered greatly. The company message has great intentions and employees have a tremendous amount of motivation, but if one doesn't know how to steer that motivation, work will not be sufficient.
solar coaster
Sr. Site Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NY29 May 2017
The job could go from a non-stop face paced frenzy to a lull in a matter of days. Seems to attract a great group of people and provided the opportunity to work with a great team
solarcity was an educational experience
Installer (Former Employee) –  New Windsor, NY29 May 2017
Solarcity was an environmental learning company. Solar panel weren't just things put on your roof and you save money, its more than that. They are creating a sustainable, pollution free, environment for generations to come.
Pros
great management, great compensation plan and Good scheduling
Cons
other employees weren't team friendly
Solar City
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZ29 May 2017
Solar city is an amazing company to work for. Lots of room for advancement, and many oportunities for retirement purposes as well. This company gets 5 starts in my book.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarCity. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8