SolarCity Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace, Lack of Communication
Document Processor (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTMarch 17, 2016
On a good day there will be enough jobs to go around for everyone and we can work at our own pace to meet quota or acquire a bonus. The company is still new so the organization and communication skills are severely lacking. The atmosphere and culture in the workplace is great! This job isn't for someone who doesn't like change or isn't willing to learn new processes frequently. Overall, the company is fun and the idea behind it is great - but it's still an idea and doesn't function properly.
Pros
Snack bar, company parties, great culture.
Cons
Lack of communication, No raises (without promotion)
Don't Ruin Your Career At This Place
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 8, 2016
Real days off can be hard to come by. Management demands for more sales even come on Sundays and at night..

Sales priorities from the top can change from month to month and even week to week -- consistent strategy often appears absent.

Scarcity of actual commissions can be another negative on top of low salary and lack of raises.

Constructive criticism not sought. The company conversation is a monologue on metrics from above, not a dialogue.

A disturbing number of new signed customers fall by the wayside, never make it to installation. The result -- NO commission.

High turnover -- not surprising. Attempted rah-rah culture falls flat.
Pros
Company car and... trying hard to think of anything else.
Cons
Just about everything.
Work environment is very comfortable with good training
Inside Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 8, 2016
Lots of perks working for SolarCity. The management team is knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers are willing to assist newer employees. The hardest part of the job is calling the same numbers everyday hoping for a different result. However, persistence pays off in the end. What I enjoyed most is making a sell by showing the benefits of solar for homeowners.
Pros
Free food, drinks and discounts at many stores and restuarants. Great benefit package.
Cons
Too many meeting when you can be selling.
Great entry-level experience, movement is volatile
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 28, 2015
As a retail associate, the entry-level position is great for easy hours and decent pay. Just challenging to move up and moving to consultant creates much volatility. Management is generally pretty wonderful. Co-workers are great and motivated. Hardest part of job is being in a retail environment regularly. Most enjoyable is being able to help people. Job culture is very obviously sales and it turns me off. There is much talk of how we do help third world countries and such. That is good. Just lay off the cutthroat behavior and competitiveness and realize that we are here to help.
Pros
benefits, paid training, mileage reimbursement
Cons
slash n burn if you're not meeting quotas
Great Vision and Awesome Leaders
REGIONAL SALES MANGER (Current Employee) –  Inland Empire, CAJanuary 18, 2016
Good company and vision. Growing so fast there are growing pains and middle/lower management doesn't practice or preach what the leaders and executives talk about are their vision and mission. Fun competitive sales culture. Great product and solution. Emerging industry with bright future.
Pros
good benefits, visionary leadership, fun culture.
Cons
communication breakdown from executive mission to lower management, High pressure cut throat sales sub-cultures
Allot of broken promises
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CADecember 17, 2015
You will work allot of hours, evenings and weekends for very little pay. All the managers are very young and lack management skills and experience.. They change policies and guidelines constantly, they make promises base on performance and then when you meet or exceed the goal, they change it. This happened to me twice as well as others. Absolutely the most miss managed company I've ever worked for, which is hard to believe given it's size. They have almost a 95% turn over rate the first year.
The bottom line, if your 18 years old and this is your first job, and you don't want to flip burgers, SolarCity is a great place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything else
Great Company
Sales Recruiter (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 22, 2016
Always took care of me and my needs. Great Culture. Great compensation. All the tools for success are provided for you.

a typical day on the job consisted of reporting in to management and then hitting the daily grind of sourcing and recruiting individuals for our sales department.
Not what it could be
Field Energy Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAFebruary 10, 2016
Its fair to say that there are plenty of things that if put into the right hands, could vastly improve the experience.
The FES role is monotonous and can be boring if not outright frustrating somedays. Not all days are bad though.
Co-workers are generally pretty easy to work with and quick to offer assistance.
Management is lacking. Managers are inconsistent with application of company policy, sales goals, promotion requirements, etc. In my experience they don't do a very good job vetting candidates for management roles, and there is an abundance of nepotism.
The hardest part of the FES role are the days when people are cranky and disinterested.
The most enjoyable part for me was the constant interaction with people of all kinds, whether or not they ultimately signed up for a visit.
Compensation is very competitive, especially when bonuses are added in. However, the nature of sales leaves you open for clawbacks (where they deduct from your bonus) as a result of cancellations. It happens, but its survivable.

If you're in your late teens/early twenties, this is probably a good job for you overall. If you are someone looking for a career, move on, the chances of advancing anywhere beyond sales is all but impossible.
Pros
Generally work autonomously
Cons
HR, Management, problem resolution, follow-through
Fast paced and challenging
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJanuary 25, 2016
Great company to work for,
a bit under paid for the amount of work
Changes constantly so you need to be flexible
You do get a company car with all its expenses paid for,
and there is ample training and resources for the consultants,

Suffers from over hiring and in this area under qualified sales managers.
Pros
Company Car, Benefits and training
Cons
Poor Management at lower levels, too many sales personell
Great Career Builder
Safety Coach (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2016
Great opportunities for young adults looking for a sense of direction or a chance to develop strong work ethics. Helping the world go green and stay safe doing so is Solar City.
Benefits
Cons
Slow and Management needs some improvement.
Billing no longer residing in Las Vegas
Collection Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 15, 2016
In the billing department there was a great work culture although not the best benefits offered. Very flexible with work schedules and every once a while when necessary you were able to work from home. No 401K match and only offered shares of stocks. They have transferred billing department from San Mateo CA. to Las Vegas, now to Salt Lake City.
Pros
Work atmospher
Cons
Benefits/Very Transitional Company
lot of corperate things need to be worked out, but can be a good career for some to persue.
Installer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 5, 2016
Working for Solar City requires a lot of commitment outside of the hours they say you will work. The benefits are good with company shares, but the management and leadership are inconsistent but friendly. The pay can be good, but can vary week to week.
Pros
Chance to benifit in bonus pay outside of hourly rate
Cons
Long and inconsistant work days, also work in hot and cold weather
It's ok
Legacy Energy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAFebruary 13, 2016
The pressure is high as they want you to obtain goals that aren't always realistic. Co workers are great and management means well just has to follow what they are instructed. The benefits and pay are good but the pressure can be extremely stressful.
Great Place to Work
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 10, 2016
SolarCity is a great company. They offer great benefits and it is a fun environment to work at. The job is very quota driven.
Pros
Free trainings
Cons
Work on Weekends Very quota driven
fun and expanding
Energy Consultant Expert (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 18, 2016
It has been very nice to learn from some of the industries best and a market that will continue to grow. Compensation is good but 4 months out after install.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
on call 7 days a week
Its a good company if you're like selling
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 25, 2015
The benefits are amazing the base pay is a good amount.You're benefits kick in after 30 days of your start date. There is a lot of camaraderie with fellow teammates. I'm proud to be working there. You need to talk to everyone so can get leads. The hardest part of the job is meeting your numbers every month. They really try to help to make you succeed. The best part is that there is no salary cap the harder you work the more money you'll earn
Pros
Fun Evronment and awesome wages to be made
Cons
quota quota quota
Best entry into the Solar Industry
Field Energy Consultant & Mentor (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDFebruary 12, 2016
The day to day is what you make of it. You have complete autonomy to work on generating premium business, meeting with potential customers, and managing your pipeline. Going solar with SolarCity is a no-brainer making this a project management and business development role. This is not an office job, there are monthly all hands meetings and potentially virtual team meetings depending on your manager. Managers are there to keep you focused, motivated, and constantly working to take advantage of the uncapped earning potential at SolarCity. Promotions are possible and frequent considering the current market conditions and expected future growth. The more you work, the more you can earn.
Pros
Company car, great management, concierge program, lots of transparency
unethical corporate nonsense
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2015
I worked with Solar City for a few months. I was excited to be in a growing industry that I believed in. After the initial shock of landing a job for them wore off, I saw just how awful of a company it is. They have the worst problem solving skills I have ever dealt with in my professional career. The use many manipulation tactics to land business and have zero business ethics. If you don't eat the nonsense they feed, you then you will be singled out of their cult and unemployed. Hand's down the worst business I have ever worked with in my career. Try hiring people who are competent enough to handle their job title and the responsibilities with it.
benefits
Cons
too many to lits.
Awful sales management and culture
Direct Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 9, 2016
Great money at the beginning, but sales culture was awful and there was terrible leadership. At my first meeting, my boss took a call on speakerphone and sapped it up with his customer, "oh you are absolutely one of my fav customers", to show how smooth he could bullsh*t. When she responded, he muted the phone and proceeded to mock her to the rest of us. Regularly taught us to lie about our product on the doors, how to laugh in people's faces and belittle them so they will buy easier, and other dishonest techniques. I hated the culture, it made me feel gross so I left. On the whole, it wasn't all bad, I made some friends, the group activities were good, and the product is excellent, I've seen it work out for people.
Pros
Good money, good product
Cons
terrible sales management
Great company difficult work life balance
Retail energy consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2016
This company has huge potential and requires hard work to succeed. Most of your day is spent out of the office. You must be a go getter to succeed and sacrifice most of your personal life. The earnings can be huge and the learning curve is steep. The only issue is that middle management only sees you as a number and when you are doing well you are praised for it, if not your are left out to dry.

All of my co-workers were extremely intelligent and great to be around.

The hardest part of working here is not the sales, the product sells itself it is amazing. It is coping with long day with no results and working your hardest everyday to eventually have one or two really good days with the rest being dull and boring.

The part I enjoyed most was my paychecks on a good week. You are payed weekly!
Pros
Freedom to work as you please
Cons
No work life balance.

2.9