SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
demanding with no security
PV (photovoltaic) designer (Former Employee), san mateo, CAOctober 10, 2014
If you like being up all hours of the night meeting demanding production and quality standards, being threatened with your job frequently, and working absurd hours with no overtime, then this is the place for you ;)
Productive, micro managed
Solar panel installer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: working with diffrent racking systems
Cons: difficult to change or add job duties
solar city sets the standard for the rest of the industry.
Upper management VERY rigid.
coworkers friendly and helpful
Forward-thinking company
Direct Energy Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2014
Overall great company to work for. Financially secure, with leadership that focuses on the long term.
Great growing company
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Henderson, NVOctober 3, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: decent job if you have no life
Good company , decent benefits, Very long house and no respect from other managers. Warehouse dept was referred to "the bottom of the barrel" and "feces"in those exact words from upper management . When told this to my boss nothing was done. Horrible upper management.
Productive and positive workplace
Site Surveyor (Current Employee), Phoenix AZSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: work on my own
Cons: no stability
Good company overall! As long as you do your job and excell at it they will treat you great.
Too much to type
Paralegal and Sales Support (Former Employee), San Mateo, CASeptember 24, 2014
I wore many hats at SolarCity. I moved around in the growing company.
I like working here, but I love operating heavy machinery
Site surveyor/installer (Current Employee), Marlborough, MASeptember 18, 2014
good people......................................................................
Productive; in charge of our own accounts; friendly competitions
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: make our own schedules, commission plus hourly
Cons: slow days when slow traffic
I get up and go to different home depots I am assigned to and set up a booth. I network with associates at the stores and inspire to get leads for solar. I do a lot of prospect selling by setting up appointments for someone to get solar if the price if lower than their electric bill. I have customers have one project in mind and change it to the solar – more... project. I must set up the right expectations for the the in-home consultant or else the sale will not go through. I build value and entice the customer to go solar and the consulltant simply shows him/her the price an there goes a sell. They need us just as bad as we need them for our commissions. – less
Not as advertised. Employee revolving door
SENIOR SOLAR CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Rocky Hill, CTSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: best positioned company in the market. great brand recognition.
Cons: don't value employees. crazy hours. poor management. poor pay.
SolarCity is by far the largest player in the market. Their product is good but overpriced, positioning is great but management is terrible and extremely unrealistic. I was promised a six-figure salary as a senior sales consultant and barely made half that first year. I did sell the volume in that time, but cancellations were rampant as the company – more... doesn't support you or your customers after the sale and disqualify a disproportionally higher number of homes than the industry average, thereby constantly taking commissions off the table. In reality you have to produce 200% of your monthly goal to make the kind of money they suggest you can make. Couple of my customers said it best..."looks to me, the only one making money in this deal is SolarCity" and that includes the Consultants. Management team is young and inexperienced and many of the employees are constantly changing. I had 4 different managers in my first year and sales consultants were coming and going at an alarming rate. They simply aren't committed to employees working in a sales role. – less
Working with great people at SolarCity!
Sr. Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: being apart of a great team of great people.
Cons: no breaks or vacations for the entire time worked there.
Typical day is having 2-3 appointments per day and working 2-3 years in the Home Depot or networking at events.

I learned how to design and sell solar system.

Management team changed several times over the course of a year and half.

The best part of working at SolarCIty were my co-workers. I meet several friends that will remain friends for many – more... years.

My friends were the best part of my job at SolarCIty. – less
Great Promise But Doesn't Deliver
FEC (Current Employee), San Fernando ValleySeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: work 7 days a week; upper management unrealistic in monthly goals
1. The idea and the premise is wonderful! BUT

Many roofs are not eligible or need re-roofing. Electical need to be up to date as well. These are no longer part of what SC builds in the leases so the job of the FEC/FES has become more difficult. Thus making net goal each month becomes more and more difficult. the homeowners need to make their roofs – more... "solar ready".

My team, 10 out of 16 did not make net goal. They are in danger of separation.

2. Co-workers all strive to make the jobs complete. A helping hand is always available.

3. Direct management tries very hard but they are under the thumbs of upper management who care only for numbers. There are some great people managers-not so much in upper management. Upper management want to see numbers--quantity vs quality.

4. Typically, your life is SC for the next 9 months to a year. Provided you get past the 90 day probation. SC uses this to gauge performance as any company but what they do not tell you is that ONCE you train in Vegas, your contract with the low sales quota is gone. You are subject to the now extreme.goals that are now net.

In addition, the weekly reports that are handed in to management are apparently used to substitute the procedure that CA Labor Law maintains to lay grounds for separation. SC does not play fair.

5. SC looks great on paper but the pressure that is laid on the FEC/FES is tremendous and certainly they are not protected in any way. If the numbers are not there despite some very obvious reasons, management does not care. This company is now becoming a revolving door for sales.

6. Honestly, the best part of the job is talking to families who could benefit from the solar energy use. – less
Great product!
Warehouse manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 14, 2014
Fun company to work for. Great product and outlook. Not very good for family time.
people on the bottom are not protected
Energy Advisor (Former Employee), San Mateo, CAJuly 8, 2014
Inexperienced people should not make schedules
Spent loads of money on Sales Conference and were not reachable like they said they would be
Reported others not following policies and they were promoted
Harassed by coworker and "investigation" was a joke
Commissions clawed back because consultants lied
GOOD FOOD
Installer Technician (Current Employee), Rocky Hill, CTJune 22, 2014
Pros: good food
Cons: sget
sdddSGREERGEGEGAGDFSServicing fire and smoke detection systems, troubleshooting and minor repair and replacements of parts and material. Responsible for meeting customer expectations while performing quality inspections. Perform routine inspections, testing, and preventative maintenance of SimplexGrinnell as well as similar competitive manufacturer's – more... product line. Sellproducts or services performed by SimplexGrinnell not being utilized by customer. Complete Service Requests & follow and maintain a highly structured inspection schedule.Complete assigned inspections on time. – less
Productive workplace
Junior PV Installer (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 27, 2014
Pros: opportunities for growth. benefits. pay. vacation. schedule. success.
A safe and clean workplace. While working hard I had a great experience learning and growing from this employer. I had one of the best groups of coworkers that one would describe as reliable and professional. A typical day working for SolarCity would be maintaining a safe working environment while getting the job finished. I enjoyed working for this – more... company because I take pride in my work. After finishing a project I would feel good about myself as well as the work I accomplished. To me there was no hard part of the job considering I work hard and pride myself on being successful. This company was so organized, a well managed workplace. – less
free cereal does not make up for the threatening environment
Recruiter (Former Employee), CAMay 21, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: threatening culture
They make you feel like they will fire you any moment. The sales staff threaten people to make the sale.
Great company mission, high-growth but culture & management is lacking
Marketing (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAMay 14, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: no 401k matching, all sales driven so other departments are underappreciated, no work/life balance
Management is lacking, departments are disorganized, benefits are slim, but overall company mission keeps you coming to work
Formal Employee
Customer Service (Former Employee), San Mateo, CAApril 21, 2014
Pros: fun employees to work with
Poor middle management, was told I my job was safe and was laid off for not relocating to Las Vegas, HR unhelpful.
Unfair
Retail Energy Advisor (Former Employee), Ontario, CAApril 17, 2014
Company Close Kiosk after only four months. Wasn't given a chance nor the opportunity to transfer within company.
productive fun workplace
Legacy Energy Advisor (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 16, 2014
Awesom place to work for, easy day in the office, fun people. Easy going managers.

1 2 3

About SolarCity

SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to – Read more

SolarCity Photos