SolarCity Employee Reviews

Solarcity
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDSeptember 28, 2016
Solarcity is the best company i have ever worked for! Only hard part of the job is to with stand the heat in the summer and then the snow in winter all on the roof for at least 8 hours.
Pros
Money and 4 days of the week
Cons
hot summers and cold winters
Productive work place with creative and positive people
Energy Consultant, Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 27, 2016
A typical day of work involves direct communication with a supervisor to engage in goal setting and achievement stratiegies.
I learned how to manage work life balance. Co workers are inclusive and team oriented.
The hardest part of the job was lead generation.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the work environment.
Productive day at workplace and finished the job.
Solar Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 27, 2016
First, we would get the proper material we would need for the job. Be sure to get everything we need to have proper PPE. Than, we get to the customers house and caution off all the areas we need. Go on the roof carefully and set up halos, so that people would safe to go on the roof. Get all the material up to the roofs and begin to land panels and connecting wire. While we are working another employee begins to bend conduit to send the wire from the inverter to the array. After the wire is ran we connect the wires to the array and test the system. Finally, we would go back to the shop, clean up our truck, and load up tomorrows job.
Nice work environment flexible schedule
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 25, 2016
Commuted to different districts to drop off 'important documents and reviewed them with building officials.

Prepared job pacts for crews when job was ready to install on roof.

Accounting ; making sure all of the correct po’s go to the correct account.
Handling all fleet vehicles and maintenance for them.

Entering all Information into Database and flipped status for installation and created cases if needed.
Pros
company car cellphone and laptop
Cons
job security
Hardest job and the Most Rewarding
Sales Direct (Field) (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYSeptember 25, 2016
Solar was one of the newest industries to me when I started at SC. I learned quickly and had the #1 sales office wide my first week. Selling solar is not easy but it is the most rewarding, to be apart of something so huge. Saving the planet, cleaning the air and helping customers avoid the high rates while most times saving money.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, Brand, Hours on the job
Cons
Commission rate, No hourly or Salary, Bonuses, work and home balance, financial purchase options to customers
Great team to work with
Retail Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Clermont, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Very fast paced and you need to multi task. You have management support and awesome co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the training. The part I enjoyed the most was dealing with the customers.
Exponential Growth
Distribution Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CASeptember 21, 2016
While employed at SolarCity, I was given an opportunity to grow, make mistakes and learn from them in an environment that encouraged self exploration and learning. This was developed by a culture of teamwork, collaboration and successfully demonstrating core company values.
Pros
Ability to grow.
Cons
Work vs. Life Balance
Helping save the planet and helping families take control of their energy costs
Solar Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MASeptember 21, 2016
As a Solar Energy Consultant with SolarCity, I represent quite possible the most innovative brand on the planet. Not only that, but I am at the forefront of the brand. No other organization has ever done what we are doing now and the organization's leaders are as relentless in that pursuit as I am.
Technically, my day consists of generating leads and consulting with families. However, I see it more as making friends while saving the planet with a really innovative product. I, originally, took the position because I wanted to improve my sales & marketing skills and when I got the opportunity to join this team, I jumped on the opportunity.
Management is great at what they do and they don't try to separate themselves from the team. They are part of the team as well and I don't see my co-workers as co-workers, they are part of the team as well.
The hardest part of the job for me is the door-to-door aspect, because I have never done a job like this before, but I enjoy the challenge. It is definitely not a boring job and it allows me to create my own schedule while reminding me that I am in control of my own income.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is knowing that I am helping a families simplify their lives while saving money and the satisfaction in saving our planet. It makes it all worth knowing that I am part of one of the biggest movements on the planet and that the leaders of the organization are relentless in their pursuits.
Pros
Custom schedule, no salary cap, awesome management
Cons
No base pay
Used to love it here.
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 19, 2016
I used to enjoy working for SolarCity. Was able to move up to different positions through my time here. Company went through a huge restructure and left poor management in place.
Pros
Stock Insentives
Cons
Poor mangement
It's ok
Engineering Quality and Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2016
There is not much I can say about this company. The work that I did there was very cut and dry as a typical sales job. I am looking for other opportunities.
Sales, SolarCity, Texas
Solar Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Great company, Solar is booming. The money and bonuses is absolutely wonderful. Lots of potential in the Solar industry. If anybody is considering going into Solar, now is the time to do it. It's booming.
Pros
Great money if you work hard.
Cons
it's a grind, like any sales job.
Flexible, Many hours with minimal compensation
Field Energy Consultant (FEC) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2016
Great Company as a whole, but field energy consultants don't get compensated well and are expected to work many hours.
Really enjoy selling the product, selling in the home and having flexible hours, but Field Energy Consultants just don't get paid enough for what they do.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Product and customer interaction
Cons
Compensation, management tactics and hours demanded
Great place!
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 15, 2016
Working with SolarCity was one of my best experiences. Everyone was generally nice people and the mood was somewhat lax in a good way. Safety, and Quality were the two Maine focuses on the company and following those focuses was pretty easy. If given the opportunity I would work there again in the future.
I'm still young and ignorant about the benefits that were provided to me. The plans seemed decent enough and they had a 401k setup. Again, I hadn't payed too much attention to all this unfortunately.
Pros
Friendly employees, and great goals.
Cons
Business flow.
do not do it worst company i ever worked for
Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MASeptember 14, 2016
worked for this company and there the worst company i ever worked for there inside sales team steals your sales and commisions you brought to them from knocking on doors there management is a bunch of unqualified kids and the company will change your commision rates and benifits at there will anything to make them more profitable comes off your back and when your customers refer there friends the referal fee comes off your commission .
nice
system Installer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 13, 2016
i enjoyed learning new technology and being outdoors. Management had their struggles. This job isn't for everybody, very physical. Like any construction type job, you have busy days and periods with no work (no $). I saw employees come and go like antelope in Africa
solar energy
Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 10, 2016
This place has a great job culture. Selling solar energy is nice. The management works together towards the same goals.
Pros
inside, cool
Cons
inside
Rec
Senior Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 8, 2016
Great Salary Base with a great Commission opportunities
Freedom of Time
A lot of travel
Great product and features available
Pros
Salary
Cons
Shady SOP at times with in local offices
productive and great place to work
Solar Installer (Current Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYSeptember 7, 2016
early start times. i learned to install a solar panel with ZEP solar. its a great place to work. management always try to take care of its employees.
Not recommended
PV Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2016
minimum salary in this industry, no job security, poor management, but mostly cool people to work with, and flexible time
It was a long 16 hour days for me for 6 days out of the week
Installer (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 1, 2016
solar city was in the beginning pretty nice to work at but as each week went by the work was more complicated and the driving was horrible and the work was hot and tiring.
Pros
the pay
Cons
driving to gilbert everyday and to the jobsite.

2.9