SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun
FES Field Energy Sales (Former Employee), Camarillo, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Drive production of opportunities to meet local sales teams goals and objectives
 Develop qualified referrals and sales opportunities
 Generate own leads by directly contacting homeowners, initiate conversations and close home owner contracts to save money while using clean solar energy
No time for family while working here
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: free food a few times a week
Cons: no management support or direction
Typical days are 12 hours long will very little organization. The hardest part of the job was no support from management. The most enjoyable part was the BBQs.
Co-workers are great, It's management that needs improvement.
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: you will make life long friends. excellent health insurance benefits.
Cons: managers with no experience, frat like company culture, very little training, and broken promises.
Typical day at work is working at Home Depot or Best Buy. generating appointments for the sale consultants. You'll make life long friends. The problem is that the managers have none or very little experience in the Solar business.
SolarCity still tastes Sour.
Crew Lead (Former Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 8, 2015
With Solarcity it is quite possible to make a decent amount of money especially for being an installer and it is quite easy to move up in positions. Although while both of the pros are true the lack of a family and team oriented setting makes working at that company quite unstable. At Solarcity they seem to enjoy playing the game "pass the buck" where no one likes to take responsibility for a botched job or an incomplete job and they just pass it down to the next crew that goes to finish it.The next issue would have to be that of management with the organization. While working at this establishment I have seen 5 different Regional Operations Managers (ROMS) 3 at a previous office then 2 new ones at my new location in Livermore. Quite frankly I would not like to work with SolarCity after my experience and I would try my best to avoid any other company that does not revolve around teamwork and cooperation.
SUCKS
Former employee (Former Employee), EverywhereFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: management sucks
Terrible place to work at with little pay being licensed in two different states. Management SUCKS with no support at all, they only worry about KW produce per month. They talk a lot a TRASH about moving up towards a different position and no raises with it. Overall the people were nice and friendly, easy going but needs to change UPPER MANAGEMENT.
one big college party
Receptionist (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 5, 2015
To keep it brief, management was extremely immature and disorganized. The culture was very frat house like, and there was no real structure or training. I jumped in head first and pieced together everything on my own, with no support from anyone. My boss was terrible on every level and I should've known that by the extremely disorganized interview process they put me through.
Long hours, lack of respect
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee), Albany, NYFebruary 3, 2015
You make good money, but cannot enjoy life. Worked to the bone, and under appreciated. After working for 10-12 hours a day, your asked why your not working more hours that day.... Upper management could care less, only care about numbers.
Very technological, revolutionary and energetic company
Direct Energy Consultant (Current Employee), Beltsville, MDJanuary 28, 2015
Solarcity is the most exciting and revolutionary company. It really is a challenging experience working for them. I really enjoy the work enviroment, very energetic and enthusiastic and every day I have the opportunity to interact with customers and help them save money and help the enviroment at the same time. The hardest part of my job...the weather.
Sales, talking With people and introducing a cleaner and more affordable energy
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee), Lancaster, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Usually stand in Home Depot and Best Buy, and talk with every customer walking in. Introducing solar city and qualifying customers to see if the qualify for solar, helping customers lower their electric bills
Nice place to work at management unorganized
Installer (Former Employee), Albany NyJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: good pay benefits
Cons: working outside in extremely cold temperatures.
A typical day at work is report to the shop have a staff meeting pick up schematics and work order then drive to the site where our solar installation was is scheduled for and get to working. The only problem with solar city was the low level management.Not organized at all and there is a lot of favoritism and clicks at work so when it comes to job deliberation and promotions only the clicks get the best of the benefits. i learned how solar works and the installation processes as well as troubleshooting. The hardest part of the job was being mandated to work in sub-zero temperatures as low as -20 degree weather and commute time which totaled up with work hours meant i was doing 13,14 or even 15 hr days depending on where the installation is taking place. The most enjoyable part of the job was the benefits and job completion incentives.
I like to instal solar panel
Senior Installer (Current Employee), Henderson, NVJanuary 9, 2015
A typical is when we get to the shop get all the merchandise so that we have everything before we get to the job site so we can get on the roof to start puting mighty hook down then spaner bar then solar panels
No job security, regardless of anything
Channel Account Manager (Former Employee), East CoastJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: paint a good picture, good product
Cons: no loyalty, quick to part ways with personnel, do not care about you as an employee, just youre producing for them
Came on in a management role and after 15 months of highly dedicated work and success, I was released as a new Director came in with a "New" direction. I bleed this company sacrificing being on the road 4 days out of the week and growing the region. No loyalty in this company. If you're willing to sacrifice all of your core values and self integrity, you'll do fine here. Otherwise, I recommend you stay away. Trust me.
Productive and fun work place
Contract Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVDecember 17, 2014
Cons: advancement dose not come often
Work place is very fun and energetic with great co-worker/management relationships with a great mixture of fun and business while still maintaining professionalism, and a monthly bonus for all employees based on performance.
Nice people, poor company
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Marlborough, MADecember 15, 2014
Pros: liked my coworkers
Cons: literally everything else.
I was in outside sales in MA.

Even the best sales folks are working 60-70 hours per week. Since SolarCity opened in MA there have been at least 2 major purges of staff.

There's no SOP for anything, no way to find info on how to do your job, and the training is useless where it exists at all. I spent long enough at the company to know this comes from the top and is thus unlikely to change.
Strong Company with Growing Prospects
Permit Coordinator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2014
Fast-paced environment that values efficiency and production. The rate of growth in the company means their are plenty of opportunities to take on new responsibilities.
Great Company
Field Energy Specialist - Sales (Current Employee), Berkeley, CANovember 28, 2014
The company is growing fast as a Solar Utility provider. It's was voted by Fast Company magazine as best place to work in 2013.
Awesome workplace, amazing company.
FIELD ENERGY SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Orange, CANovember 28, 2014
Pros: company culture is awesome
Cons: tough management. its only about numbers and nothing else.
The big picture is awesome. Company is growing like crazy! Fast paced days. Talking to lots of people. Awesome coworkers. Hardest part of the job is cold approaching people who already have opinions on solar all day!
Job says 100k but only $11.75 per hour
Sales (Former Employee), Las VegasNovember 25, 2014
Pros: friendly
Cons: only $11.75, joke of a wage
I wasted a lot of time going to there open house, back and forth for interviews, etc, for a job that is advertised on their site as paying up to $100,000.00 per year. After all of this they explained it only pays $11.75 a hour for basically a telemarketing position, with commisons that "could possibly follow a few months down the road, but you would need to be happy with the $11.75 as that may be it for a while."

My take is they are friendly and nice to get you in, but once they have your time wasted they drop the bomb that, at least in my opionion and what I was even told by the interviewer that some make up to $60 or $70k that is still under what they advertise... its a $11.75 an hour job to work possibly any hours on the phone.

If you are a teenager in school or something that may be good, but then that is what they should be advertising for and recruting. Not wasting professional workers time and resources to interview for a telemarketing - low wage job.
Not the most desirable work place !!
Jr. Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), San Mateo, CANovember 23, 2014
Although, the company has better benefits, the hostile work environment makes it undesirable. You get laid off absolutely for unfair reasons and the management style is unbearable. Everybody has a different experience and I'm writing this from my own experience. The management would expect you to attend those meetings to which you haven't received a single notification for; And, if you don't show up for those un-notified meetings, you would be insulted by being called unprofessional in front of the team. You're expected to not to attend to personal phone calls, that are so important to you.The management over there feels like they have an authority over your entire self/being as whole once you start working under them. You're suppressed and degraded as a human being and will lose your freedom of speech.Have to stay up late in the nights, would be deprived of family time and no over-time pay. HR is impatient in answering and unhelpful. You'll be constantly humiliated and threatened with your job. No proper training in job. All you get for joining there is a remark on your career. I would never ever go back to that company for a job in future.
Waste of time.
inside sales (Former Employee), Las VegasNovember 12, 2014
Pros: work with interesting people
Cons: work a ton for little reward.
I bought into the hype of this company. I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I moved through the interview process and was sold a bag of wind.

What I saw on the floor was shocking. If you've ever seen the movie "boiler room" that is what I saw for the inside sales position. You will make minimum pay for 4-6 months. A lot of problems with closing a deal, many won't close or complete because of "red tape". The home you are trying to do an install on needs to meet so many standards and for any reason it doesn't ( homes not facing in the right direction to suns rays, trees on the property, or roof was not to code or capable to handle their system. I could go on.... quotas are low for a reason. People aren't closing deals.

Think before you act, you better have money saved if you want to try it. Be ready to work overtime and weekends. This job will test you and a lot of leads will leave you depressed.

I left a good job for this opportunity and others I'm sure have too. Now it's time to make a better decision and you should consider doing the same.

1 2 3 4

About SolarCity

SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to – Read more