SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
summary
Inside Energy Advisor (Current Employee), Roseville, CAApril 26, 2016
Cons: minimal pay and high turnover
After working at Solarcity for over a year I have seen a lot of compromises to the treatment of employees and opportunity for growth. My department was very poorly treated in the large scan at solarcity and they commission even if you were a good worker was extremely minimal if not negative the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help the customers and overcoming objections to be able to help people have cleaner energy. When I began there it was definitely one of the funnest places to work but after many changes to the company it has became very strict rigid and with so many people constantly being fired there is a looming fear of if its you who will be next
Best job yet
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee), Henderson, NVMarch 24, 2016
Pros: lots of hours and money
Cons: worked lots of hours, not a job for family people
This was the best job i have ever had. it was not for the unmotivated or underachievers. with this jpb you got paid depending on how fast and efficient you become. with this job though you worked long hours about 5 days a week (more if you wanted) and working in with a group. and in this job if you tried much at all you can move up fast. i was promoted after being there for only 3 months
Productive with a generous open door policy
Project Specialist (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 13, 2016
Pros: Friendly Atmosphere, Opend Door Policy
Cons: NO grace period when you arrive at work, if you come in at 1 minute pass you arrival time you are late.
The greatest thing about Solar City as a company is the fact that there is not one person that will let you fall, you can come to work and think that you have hit a wall, but everyone will come to your rescue. when you are well informed it will be your turn to "PAY IT FORWARD".
Great mission
INSIDE ENERGY SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 19, 2016
Great place to work for. The mission is something anyone with a light bill can get behind just not enough money for some and the reliability of a high commission check is dependent on a few factors. I would recommend to anyone in sales but you must make sure your in it for the long hall and have a good savings if you rely on your job for bills. Day to day workflow is pretty easy just talking to people about their bills. Management is decent depending on who you have. Co-workers are pretty cool. Hardest part is getting people on the phone just like any telecommunications job. Best part is knowing everyone is working towards the same goal as you.
Fun Workplace, Lack of Communication
Document Processor (Current Employee), Draper, UTMarch 17, 2016
Pros: Snack bar, company parties, great culture.
Cons: Lack of communication, No raises (without promotion)
On a good day there will be enough jobs to go around for everyone and we can work at our own pace to meet quota or acquire a bonus. The company is still new so the organization and communication skills are severely lacking. The atmosphere and culture in the workplace is great! This job isn't for someone who doesn't like change or isn't willing to learn new processes frequently. Overall, the company is fun and the idea behind it is great - but it's still an idea and doesn't function properly.
Fast growing company that is still trying to figure it out as they go
Supervisor (Former Employee), San Mateo, CAMarch 16, 2016
Pros: Free snacks and drinks
Cons: Inexperienced leaders and lack of diversity in senior roles.
Change happens - the last few years have been a roller coaster (or solar coaster as they like to refer to it).

The culture is great - and everyone believes in the mission.

Senior leaders are reactionary and think in the now versus the future. Change direction by 180 degrees on a regular basis.

I loved the ride while it lasted.
Hostile company, and doesnt care for customer relations
Electrician/ Solar Installer (Former Employee), Vacaville, CAMarch 10, 2016
Pros: Benefit
Cons: No hope for promotion. Hostile to come to work everyone is out to fire everyone
Hostile environment to work. Hard work is not recognized but who you are cooler with hanging out after work got your promotions. Very unprofessional staff. improperly trained employees. Scheduling surveying and installation times were not customer friendly. Didn't not involve customers with the conduit installations leading to unsatisfied customer to poorly installed work.
Work environment is very comfortable with good training
Inside Energy Specialist (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Free food, drinks and discounts at many stores and restuarants. Great benefit package.
Cons: Too many meeting when you can be selling.
Lots of perks working for SolarCity. The management team is knowledgeable and friendly. Co-workers are willing to assist newer employees. The hardest part of the job is calling the same numbers everyday hoping for a different result. However, persistence pays off in the end. What I enjoyed most is making a sell by showing the benefits of solar for homeowners.
Solar City was the most fun company I have worked for so far.
Site Surveyor (Former Employee), Wilmington, MAMarch 7, 2016
Pros: Managed your own schedule, work environment very positive.
Cons: Very low workload. Dangerous position. Not for those afraid of heights or ladders.
As a site surveyor I inspected residences in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire for prospective solar installations. This was a very driving intensive position. Although the atmosphere and people were great at Solar City, I left after a few months due to the work not being steady enough. I would recommend it to anyone thought that doesn't have a fear of heights .
Great corporate culture; long sales process
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee), Rocky Hill, CTMarch 24, 2016
Pros: Company Car, hip coworkers
Cons: No dedicated work space
Going in I thought working for SolarCity would be the greatest thing ever... Turns out they're a major sales organization expanding too quickly. There is a high rate of turnover among FECs and FESs.

Coworkers were great, and probably the best part of the job. I loved working with the other FECs, and managers... Managers were very laid back, and seemingly down to earth.

High amount of independence as an FEC, which can be problematic if you're not disciplined.

Best part of the job was getting Closed Wins (CWs), although the CW was often short-lived due to customer cancellation.

Biggest issue with the FEC position: getting paid takes too long, and customers cancel frequently
Great company and cool concept
Inside Energy Advisor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 7, 2016
Pros: laptop, freebies
Cons: boiler room environment
However the whole boiler room mentality the supervisors had made coming to work uncomfortable. Constantly shouting and emailing about number some were good and others were really bad. Concept of helping the earth with solar is great however it seem the company was more worried about lining their pockets instead of providing quality work.
Great place to work if you know how to play Politics
Recruiting Coordinator / Executive Assistant (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAMarch 9, 2016
Pros: Great people, innovators, relaxed environment
Cons: Political arena, takes a while to get ahead
SolarCity has a great corporate culture, but unfortunately to get ahead you need to know how to play the game of politics. It's not enough that you work hard and put in all your effort, what stands out the most is who you know. Bear this in mind when applying here.
Great place to work and move up fast if you're motivated enough.
PV Installer/Crew Lead (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 19, 2016
Loved working for the company, made crew lead in 11 months just by working hard and learning fast. Got along with most of my coworkers and I worked with a really great crew. I learned a lot about structural design of houses and how solar works with homes. Learned how to properly install panels without causing roof leaks and learned how to tie into a main electrical panel. All in all great company to work for as long as your state is solar friendly.
Don't believe the hype!
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 16, 2016
Pros: You get to work really hard.
Cons: At anytime a government regulation can put you out of a job.
When I interviewed SolarCity I was told I had to start off as a lead generator before moving into the consultant role I was interviewing for. They told me the average person was making $60K/year. Turns out the top person wasn't making $60K/year. There is no coaching, so you better not expect any help.
Overall Summary of SolarCity
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), Industry, CAFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Flexible Schedule
Cons: Commission payout averages 4 months
Majority of time is spent on lead generation through social media, cold calls and canvassing

Development of Time Management Skills was a plus

Flexible Schedule allowed as long as quota was met

Constant changes in bonus/commission/incentives was the draw back, mostly reducing payout or delaying payout of such

Overall a decent company, however changes in my opinion are too quickly implemented not allowing for any real measurable impact from prior efforts.
Don't Ruin Your Career At This Place
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), ConnecticutFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Company car and... trying hard to think of anything else.
Cons: Just about everything.
Real days off can be hard to come by. Management demands for more sales even come on Sundays and at night..

Sales priorities from the top can change from month to month and even week to week -- consistent strategy often appears absent.

Scarcity of actual commissions can be another negative on top of low salary and lack of raises.

Constructive criticism not sought. The company conversation is a monologue on metrics from above, not a dialogue.

A disturbing number of new signed customers fall by the wayside, never make it to installation. The result -- NO commission.

High turnover -- not surprising. Attempted rah-rah culture falls flat.
Great Company
Site Surveyor (Former Employee), Henderson, NVApril 20, 2016
Pros: Lots of Overtime, Management, and Impacting peoples lives.
Cons: Pay, not enough time at home with family and friends, and the extreme heat.
I did enjoy working for Solar City. I had great managers and co-workers. Solar City is making a real impact on Global Warming and bringing new and cheaper ideas for energy.

There was a ton of work and not much personal time, but so are most jobs now days.
this place is a dump
Sales Account Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 11, 2016
Pros: get some experience in solar in a really sht environment
Cons: so poorly run from a sales side (ops is well run) it is shocknig
wildly irresponsible upper managment whose attempts to finagle the top end numbers result in a menacing and threatening attitude towards sales force, turnover is sky high. no tenured reps, shows they are just burning and churning,
Such a wonderful company
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee), Stockton, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Literally everything. So much fun at the meetings, great people and environment. Great cause.
Cons: Hitting numbers, working weekends
This company environment is the best I've ever been a part of. They job is not a fit for everyone, but the amount of support and energy at Solar City is refreshing. It feels great to know that you are truly helping people save money (even if they don't believe you).
Good atmosphere great people
Warehouse associate and personnel (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 14, 2016
Pros: company appreciates their employees
Cons: NV Energy NV PUC shut them down
This is a great company to work for. The people are easy to get along with and the work will always keep you busy. Last year the company had a Christmas party for their workers to show their appreciation for all the hard work we do that made the company thrive.