SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice people, poor company
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Marlborough, MADecember 15, 2014
Pros: liked my coworkers
Cons: literally everything else.
I was in outside sales in MA.

Even the best sales folks are working 60-70 hours per week. Since SolarCity opened in MA there have been at least 2 major purges of staff.

There's no SOP for anything, no way to find info on how to do your job, and the training is useless where it exists at all. I spent long enough at the company to know this comes from – more... the top and is thus unlikely to change. – less
Strong Company with Growing Prospects
Permit Coordinator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2014
Fast-paced environment that values efficiency and production. The rate of growth in the company means their are plenty of opportunities to take on new responsibilities.
Great Company
Field Energy Specialist - Sales (Current Employee), Berkeley, CANovember 28, 2014
The company is growing fast as a Solar Utility provider. It's was voted by Fast Company magazine as best place to work in 2013.
Awesome workplace, amazing company.
FIELD ENERGY SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Orange, CANovember 28, 2014
Pros: company culture is awesome
Cons: tough management. its only about numbers and nothing else.
The big picture is awesome. Company is growing like crazy! Fast paced days. Talking to lots of people. Awesome coworkers. Hardest part of the job is cold approaching people who already have opinions on solar all day!
Job says 100k but only $11.75 per hour
Sales (Former Employee), Las VegasNovember 25, 2014
Pros: friendly
Cons: only $11.75, joke of a wage
I wasted a lot of time going to there open house, back and forth for interviews, etc, for a job that is advertised on their site as paying up to $100,000.00 per year. After all of this they explained it only pays $11.75 a hour for basically a telemarketing position, with commisons that "could possibly follow a few months down the road, but you would – more... need to be happy with the $11.75 as that may be it for a while."

My take is they are friendly and nice to get you in, but once they have your time wasted they drop the bomb that, at least in my opionion and what I was even told by the interviewer that some make up to $60 or $70k that is still under what they advertise... its a $11.75 an hour job to work possibly any hours on the phone.

If you are a teenager in school or something that may be good, but then that is what they should be advertising for and recruting. Not wasting professional workers time and resources to interview for a telemarketing - low wage job. – less
Not the most desirable work place !!
Jr. Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee), San Mateo, CANovember 23, 2014
Although, the company has better benefits, the hostile work environment makes it undesirable. You get laid off absolutely for unfair reasons and the management style is unbearable. Everybody has a different experience and I'm writing this from my own experience. The management would expect you to attend those meetings to which you haven't received a – more... single notification for; And, if you don't show up for those un-notified meetings, you would be insulted by being called unprofessional in front of the team. You're expected to not to attend to personal phone calls, that are so important to you.The management over there feels like they have an authority over your entire self/being as whole once you start working under them. You're suppressed and degraded as a human being and will lose your freedom of speech.Have to stay up late in the nights, would be deprived of family time and no over-time pay. HR is impatient in answering and unhelpful. You'll be constantly humiliated and threatened with your job. No proper training in job. All you get for joining there is a remark on your career. I would never ever go back to that company for a job in future. – less
Waste of time.
inside sales (Former Employee), Las VegasNovember 12, 2014
Pros: work with interesting people
Cons: work a ton for little reward.
I bought into the hype of this company. I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I moved through the interview process and was sold a bag of wind.

What I saw on the floor was shocking. If you've ever seen the movie "boiler room" that is what I saw for the inside sales position. You will make minimum pay for 4-6 months. A lot of problems with closing – more... a deal, many won't close or complete because of "red tape". The home you are trying to do an install on needs to meet so many standards and for any reason it doesn't ( homes not facing in the right direction to suns rays, trees on the property, or roof was not to code or capable to handle their system. I could go on.... quotas are low for a reason. People aren't closing deals.

Think before you act, you better have money saved if you want to try it. Be ready to work overtime and weekends. This job will test you and a lot of leads will leave you depressed.

I left a good job for this opportunity and others I'm sure have too. Now it's time to make a better decision and you should consider doing the same. – less
Busy workplace, great employees, cookouts once a month
Warehouse/Purchasing/Fleet Manager (Current Employee), El Paso Tx.October 10, 2014
Pros: cookouts once a month
Cons: no room for advancement
SolarCity has been a different experience for me, I've never handled solar material. Taken care of 60 Installers and keeping them well stocked with material is a major task.
demanding with no security
PV (photovoltaic) designer (Former Employee), san mateo, CAOctober 10, 2014
If you like being up all hours of the night meeting demanding production and quality standards, being threatened with your job frequently, and working absurd hours with no overtime, then this is the place for you ;)
Productive, micro managed
Solar panel installer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: working with diffrent racking systems
Cons: difficult to change or add job duties
solar city sets the standard for the rest of the industry.
Upper management VERY rigid.
coworkers friendly and helpful
Forward-thinking company
Direct Energy Consultant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2014
Overall great company to work for. Financially secure, with leadership that focuses on the long term.
Great growing company
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Henderson, NVOctober 3, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: decent job if you have no life
Good company , decent benefits, Very long house and no respect from other managers. Warehouse dept was referred to "the bottom of the barrel" and "feces"in those exact words from upper management . When told this to my boss nothing was done. Horrible upper management.
Productive and positive workplace
Site Surveyor (Current Employee), Phoenix AZSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: work on my own
Cons: no stability
Good company overall! As long as you do your job and excell at it they will treat you great.
Too much to type
Paralegal and Sales Support (Former Employee), San Mateo, CASeptember 24, 2014
I wore many hats at SolarCity. I moved around in the growing company.
I like working here, but I love operating heavy machinery
Site surveyor/installer (Current Employee), Marlborough, MASeptember 18, 2014
good people......................................................................
Productive; in charge of our own accounts; friendly competitions
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: make our own schedules, commission plus hourly
Cons: slow days when slow traffic
I get up and go to different home depots I am assigned to and set up a booth. I network with associates at the stores and inspire to get leads for solar. I do a lot of prospect selling by setting up appointments for someone to get solar if the price if lower than their electric bill. I have customers have one project in mind and change it to the solar – more... project. I must set up the right expectations for the the in-home consultant or else the sale will not go through. I build value and entice the customer to go solar and the consulltant simply shows him/her the price an there goes a sell. They need us just as bad as we need them for our commissions. – less
Not as advertised. Employee revolving door
SENIOR SOLAR CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Rocky Hill, CTSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: best positioned company in the market. great brand recognition.
Cons: don't value employees. crazy hours. poor management. poor pay.
SolarCity is by far the largest player in the market. Their product is good but overpriced, positioning is great but management is terrible and extremely unrealistic. I was promised a six-figure salary as a senior sales consultant and barely made half that first year. I did sell the volume in that time, but cancellations were rampant as the company – more... doesn't support you or your customers after the sale and disqualify a disproportionally higher number of homes than the industry average, thereby constantly taking commissions off the table. In reality you have to produce 200% of your monthly goal to make the kind of money they suggest you can make. Couple of my customers said it best..."looks to me, the only one making money in this deal is SolarCity" and that includes the Consultants. Management team is young and inexperienced and many of the employees are constantly changing. I had 4 different managers in my first year and sales consultants were coming and going at an alarming rate. They simply aren't committed to employees working in a sales role. – less
Working with great people at SolarCity!
Sr. Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: being apart of a great team of great people.
Cons: no breaks or vacations for the entire time worked there.
Typical day is having 2-3 appointments per day and working 2-3 years in the Home Depot or networking at events.

I learned how to design and sell solar system.

Management team changed several times over the course of a year and half.

The best part of working at SolarCIty were my co-workers. I meet several friends that will remain friends for many – more... years.

My friends were the best part of my job at SolarCIty. – less
Great Promise But Doesn't Deliver
FEC (Current Employee), San Fernando ValleySeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: work 7 days a week; upper management unrealistic in monthly goals
1. The idea and the premise is wonderful! BUT

Many roofs are not eligible or need re-roofing. Electical need to be up to date as well. These are no longer part of what SC builds in the leases so the job of the FEC/FES has become more difficult. Thus making net goal each month becomes more and more difficult. the homeowners need to make their roofs – more... "solar ready".

My team, 10 out of 16 did not make net goal. They are in danger of separation.

2. Co-workers all strive to make the jobs complete. A helping hand is always available.

3. Direct management tries very hard but they are under the thumbs of upper management who care only for numbers. There are some great people managers-not so much in upper management. Upper management want to see numbers--quantity vs quality.

4. Typically, your life is SC for the next 9 months to a year. Provided you get past the 90 day probation. SC uses this to gauge performance as any company but what they do not tell you is that ONCE you train in Vegas, your contract with the low sales quota is gone. You are subject to the now extreme.goals that are now net.

In addition, the weekly reports that are handed in to management are apparently used to substitute the procedure that CA Labor Law maintains to lay grounds for separation. SC does not play fair.

5. SC looks great on paper but the pressure that is laid on the FEC/FES is tremendous and certainly they are not protected in any way. If the numbers are not there despite some very obvious reasons, management does not care. This company is now becoming a revolving door for sales.

6. Honestly, the best part of the job is talking to families who could benefit from the solar energy use. – less
Great product!
Warehouse manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 14, 2014
Fun company to work for. Great product and outlook. Not very good for family time.

1 2 3

About SolarCity

SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to – Read more

SolarCity Photos