SolarCity Employee Reviews

Emphasis on quotas with no regard for personal life
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MD22 May 2017
Although there are people withing the sales organization that are good managers and sales force, they are the exception to the rule. This company thrives on bringing in new sales people, using them for their contacts, promising large commission checks with no regard to their personal lives. You are expected to be "on call" to hold appointments from 8am to 8pm. Very few sales people are still employed after 2 years. The quotas are constantly changing and the corporate attitude is that sales people are easily replaced.
Pros
company car
Cons
constantly changing quotas
Good when busy
Installer 3 (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NY21 May 2017
It's a good company to work for........Good people really cool .................... when busy really good money.........really good experience here....
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Panel pay structure is changing.
okay place to learn sales skills
FES (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA21 May 2017
great people to work with but not very good work/life balance and low pay. i learned a lot about sales and how to generating lead and making phone call and following up with clients. over all good experience after college.
You will have a good time
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA20 May 2017
Its alright..I had a wonderful time being out in the field with co workers. They gave excellent training. The work schedule could be long.. but I thing if you want money you will stay for extra. But over all its was a good ride.
Warehouses closing
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CA18 May 2017
Don't believe the hype you will not be selling the new solar roof that Musk is currently marketing. It will be the one off high end customer that will be able to have and afford.
Pros
Name on Resume and car
Cons
10 hrs a day 7 days a week
Great Outdoor Job
Solar Installer (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MD16 May 2017
We really helped out the community as much as possible with Solar Panels. Definitely a great experience for me. Hope that in the future everyone can switch over to solar life.
Fun job, just no future of advancement
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albany, NY16 May 2017
Solar city was a great and enjoyable place of employment, but I did not see any major career advancement opportunities. I do not see myself back tracking to this type of work.
Great Company
Installation/Interconnection Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Draper, UT15 May 2017
Great Company that is constantly growing and changing with the times. Work is very unstable and your schedule and income fluctuate constantly making the work/life balance a little tricky. Overall I like the vision and the direction of the company.
Not a good experience
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Irvine15 May 2017
Great company undergoing many changes constantly, not for the faint of heart looking for long term employment. You must adapt to the green movement company philosophy or find yourself in the minority they do not see any differing points of views on the matter of Global Warming as contrary to their "beliefs"

Kind of Culty
Pros
Great to help customers save on their electrical expenses
Cons
Quotas and Unrealistic metric closed sales
The issue isn't the work. It's how the work is done.
Project Specialist/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV12 May 2017
Solarcity is a good place to work. The work in the concierge department isn't difficult. Things change all the time on whims so you do have to adapt fast. Training isn't the greatest but even still, you can do the work effectively for the most part once you're given the chance to do the work. The real issue is management. They don't listen to the needs of the floor and have blinders on. If you disagree with them, you're fired. They're all cliqued up and think morale isn't an issue when it definitely is on the floor. They're either out of touch with the agents or simply don't care. You can't really go to the HR department. The head of the HR department is cliqued up with the management too. Nothing is confidential there. Management plays favorites. There is only one manager out of about 5 on the floor who isn't useless. Other than the terrible management and useless directors (the concierge department has three directors - unnecessary), the work itself isn't hard and the other agents made coming to work a joy.
Pros
people, pay, bonuses, location
Cons
management, unnecessary politics
Sales team and support team makes the company worthwhile
Energy Advisor / Sales (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV11 May 2017
Promises made when they are hiring ... Promises not delivered.
Environment constantly changes. Upward mobility is non-existent for majority. Money is non-existent and commissions can be taken away during sales process for no fault of sales person.
Pros
relaxed enviornment and you can own your own work life, unless that has changed.
Cons
Commissions are low, salary is low, fake management, slave-drivers
Great company to work for
Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV11 May 2017
Enjoyed working in a pleasant place where everyone is so conscientious of the environment. Balanced and relaxed work place. Management kept all of the employees informed of what the future plans of the company were.
Pros
Great snacks in the lunchroom
Top down, trying to get too big too fast
Residential Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MD10 May 2017
Management is very out of touch with what is happening in the field. They prefer to delegate and tell you to do impractical, dumb stuff from the comfort of an office (of course). Solar is a good gig sometimes, but they cut our pay in a variety of ways and i quit bc it was no longer worth it. You'll work with at least one slacker on your crew. They'll never fire him, just move him from crew to crew. Long hours sometimes. Got to be in the "in" crowd to get raises or promotions.
Pros
Good trade
Cons
Negative culture
It used to be fun to work there
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chico, CA9 May 2017
When I started in 2015, it was a fun place to work but that started to change before Tesla took over. The job took over your life. You were lucky to get one day off. No day off was really off. There were always phone calls and emails you had to take. I earned plenty of vacation time but didn't dare take time off to take it.

The management was great that I worked with, but the requirements and quotas became unmanageable. It was astonishing to me that with over 20 years of sales experience, and working 6-7 days every week, that I was still not making quota.

After being released from employment, I felt utterly relieved. I've been in outside sales my entire adult life, but that job ruined sales for me forever.
Pros
Lots of perks, fun team building, free swag, decent insurance, etc.
Cons
Long hours and weekends were the norm, no time to have a life outside SC
It was a great place to work
Inside Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA9 May 2017
Great company to work for. Long hours but great pay. Environment was positive and upbeat. It is very competitive which I loved. I worked there for a year and I would work there again.
Just a number intended to serve.
Solar Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VT9 May 2017
This company sets you up for failure and then expects you to succeed. For training, I was given a total of 2 hours with my manager and then 3 hours with another salesman. The problem is, none of the salesman want to bring you with them as it could be detrimental towards their bottom line. Basically, you were the enemy on your first day but expected to produce.
Pros
Clean energy
Cons
Zero leadership. Zero loyalty.
installer of solar panels
Solar System Installer (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZ8 May 2017
this job required a physical dextarity that i thought i had when i initally got hired. within 3 months i almost had heat stroke and was forced to leave.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV7 May 2017
Enjoyed coming into work daily and had exceptional experiences all around! Would recommend this company to anybody. Great management and dinamic. Wonderful!
Decent
Crew Lead/ Electrician (Current Employee) –  Blackwood, NJ6 May 2017
The experience has been life changing. An excellent company, with questionable management and lots of conflicting departments. The money can be very good. but is not always steady.
Fun place to work with great people
Process Technician II (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CA6 May 2017
I learned the process of patterning wafers for solar panels. The job was not hard even though you had to be on you feet for almost the whole 12 hour shift. Management was great. Workplace culture was exceptional. The most enjoyable part was sharing food with friends at break time, like having pot luck every day of work
Pros
Good benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarCity. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8