SolarCity Employee Reviews

Not so good
Electrical Crew Lead/Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee) –  California11 December 2017
I wasn't happy here
Lots of work and low hourly payments.
Can get fired any time.
Maybe with a better managment this place may get better.
Lot of nice people here
Pros
Uniforms
Cons
Low pay
Poor Cultture
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CT8 December 2017
Management will be extremely concentrated on public involvement never really concerned with development of young representatives and also territory and route management .
Expendable
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA7 December 2017
Unless you're in a management role, there literally is no job security. As with all sales careers, monthly quotas and colleagues routinely being fired left and right when the company didn't hit its' quarterly benchmarks created an atmosphere of expendability with sales consultants. Thousands of SolarCity consultants in 2016 were fired/laid off because SolarCity's upper management team REFUSED to adapt to the market's demands of PURCHASE over LEASING of the product. The Sales Consultants were GROUND ZERO for all the blame when the company didn't hit its quarterly and annual projections, and after a pattern of disrespect and finger-pointing by the "beancounters" at the company, significant amounts of consultants simply left. I would never recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Company Car, salary
Cons
Company Car, salary; they love to give so they can guilt you into working harder.
Great Culture, Poor Management
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CA6 December 2017
Culture and employee relations are great, we all had lots of fun doing what we did. Compensation for me was performance based so that was fine, but the company had a serious problem with scheduling installations, thereby delaying commissions and sometimes losing contracts. SolarCity had great ambitions, but because of the way the Texas market was managed, the program fell apart. Then the Tesla merge happened and nobody knew what was going on. Entire districts and regions all of a sudden had no one to manage them and higher ups were firing employees and then taking over their deals. Things just got bad, really quick.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Great Commissions, Visionary goals for the future
Cons
Poor backend management, Scheduling/Installation problems, Lack of clear Management, Follow through on training was poor
Tesla
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CA6 December 2017
I have been with Solarcity DBA Tesla for eight years, the first couple years were hands down the best time to work with this company. Like all growing companies we went public and thats when the culture changed. In my eight years as a Manager I have received only one raise and that was six years ago, as the work load has increase ten folds the pay stays the same. The review process creates opportunity for favoritism, I have seen good strong workers let go because the Manager does't like them. These things happen all over the company... I understand corporations and what it brings to the company but thinking about your employees last, the people that are at the front lines doing the work is not right.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Different experience
Solar Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJ4 December 2017
I loved the job. Loved what I did. No room for advancement. Very particular. They have a great atmosphere but being stuck in one position for over a year is stressful.
Good product but poor management.
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA1 December 2017
Newer employees are always struggling to hit minimum quota because leads are prioritized by seniority. Office has a negative contemptuous atmosphere. Revolving door, churn and burn policy.
Pros
Company car
Very bad place to work
Outside Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CA29 November 2017
The hardest part of the job is that management is VERY WEAK, INCONSISTENT. Some are good only at playing games and playing with their customers

Management asked us to lie to our customers making us, sales reps, look really bad

From there, I was surrounded by a very filthy and bad environment
Pros
Perfect for LAZY workers
Cons
Do not keep promises
not fun
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CA29 November 2017
Company has poor Management structure. It's dog eat dog, eat cat too! They had us go to the park at 7:00 AM in the freezing cold, form a circle and tell everyone why we like the company.
SolarCity
Inside Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA28 November 2017
it is great place to work but little job security if you have a couple bad months. can make a lot of money but have to earn it. management only cares about there own teams.
Pros
make good money
Cons
little job security

Want to know more about SolarCity?

Ask a question
Sales Team was Excellent
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX28 November 2017
Self-motivated work place. We would meet on T, Th 10-11am to go over sales strategies and numbers. I would be out in my neighborhoods after the meetings until dark, door to door sales.
The hardest part of the job was having people commit to an appointment to see the product, only to forget about it, or no-show.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the sales team and the manager. We had a team building activity once a month which was always fun.
Pros
positive workplace
Cons
100% commission
Meet new people every day in the retail environment
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CA27 November 2017
Sales is not for everyone, and being that the retail setting was in a hardware store solar lease was the furthest from people's minds. It takes a very motivated person to do well in that setting but if one is positive and has good work ethic Solarcity provides a very good platform on which to start a job that could lead to better opportunities. The founders are very receptive to new innovation and there is an open forum by which to communicate your ideas.
Pros
Salary plus commision
Cons
short lunches
Fast paced job
Document Preparer/Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV15 November 2017
Self starting work with daily quotas to meet. Work with many managers and departments. Co-workers help each other to get the job done in a timely manner.
Pros
Free soda machine and coffee.
Cons
Could be difficult commute during high traffic times.
Loved working for Solarcity
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Mill Valley, CA15 November 2017
Solarcity was a wonderful opportunity. However, the commission was not sustainable to support my family of 4 plus my territory was 3 hours away from my family, which became difficult to manage with young children.
Front lines of the climate movement
Channel Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TX14 November 2017
SolarCity is the front lines of the fight against climate change. We engage consumers directly and with a cold open to show them the benefits of taking control of their energy use. This means being incredibly quick and effective at conversation, while staying positive through lots of rejection.
Company methods change often so keeping focus on the core job is critical. The team is a positive, encouraging group that helps to do this. When the solarcoaster goes up, its a great time, and when the solarcoaster goes down, we hold on tight and stay focused.
You are not valued
Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ13 November 2017
Look elsewhere for a better company,one that actually cares about it's employees. It has become all about the bottom line. The employees and customers are last on the list now.
Dead End
N/A (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT13 November 2017
No yearly raises, bonuses, or retirement contribution. Endless promises of improvements that never come. People that I worked with two years ago are still stuck in the same positions that they were trying to be promoted out of a year ago.
Cutthroat salesmen mentality
Door-To-Door Solar Salesman (Former Employee) –  New Windsor, NY 125536 November 2017
Solarcity only wants the very best sales people in their workforce, so they place a very high quota that most people can't maintain.
Not enough time to given to newbies to develop their salesman skills, so I'd say that the majority of new sales people get canned!
It was also 100% on commision only, so I didn't even get paid enough for gas money. I got fired just because I was -1 on my monthly quota! Lame system.
Pros
the job sounds exiting at 1st, but then the stress kicks in.
Cons
cut-throat business.
Work 7 Days a week
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chico, CA3 November 2017
This job has poor work life balance. Expect sales people to work 7 days a week with no breaks. Constant micro managing created a stressful and toxic environment.

The bottom line is this:
Can be a great stepping stone in one's career, but if you have a family and want a life outside of work, don't bother!

But now that it is actually a Tesla company, it could be a good resume builder.

Approximately half of the sales force has been let go from setting unrealistic quotas.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Micro Mananged
Fast paced environment that keeps you up and running
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CT3 November 2017
I enjoy working here and meeting new people everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to get people to switch over to clean energy. The hardest part of the job is the rejection.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarCity. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8