SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Solar Provider
Senior Solar Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2015
The company has great potential and cares for their clients. There is a bit of a disconnect, however, between what the Elan Musk believes and espouses and what is actually happening with respect to their employees. I hope it is just growing pains.
great employees but ill-educated management
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2015
Pros: becoming educated in solar industry
Cons: typical corporate nonsense
I believe that my experience with SolarCity is a bit more complicated than most so I won't get into it. Your fellow employees are great people but the management is a bit too complicated to work with in professional setting.
Great Company
Lead Installer (Former Employee), Chico, CAAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Always Work
Cons: Long hours
Typical work day usually starts early and could be short or could be long depending on size of the job.
Learned many new things with on the job training thanks to all the staff and employees.
Many of the the employees are great to work with and are enthusiastic.
I would say the hardest part of the job is dealing with the elements and being able to work at heights of over 10 feet.
I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of the job would be to look back and see the finished product and what it does for our world.
Good entry level job
Solar Installer (Former Employee), Madison, CTAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Good job culture and quality
Cons: Managment, no benefits, no room for growth.
This is a good job to start off in solar however the is no room for growth or advancement. Workers are awesome however the management is horrible and very unorganized. Great quality work nonetheless.
Over worked
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Modesto, CAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Good pay and benefits
Cons: Lack of life outside Solar City
If working 12 hours a day 7 days a week is not enough you are on call the time you are not at the shop. Management is clueless about the day to day work being done by the Warehouse Manager.
Great company
Site Surveyor (Current Employee), college park, marylandAugust 17, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
Lots of inventory work. Loading and unloading box truck. Boxing and unboxing uniforms. Folding and unfolding shirts and pants for various schools.
Great company
Crew Lead (Former Employee), Vista, CAAugust 16, 2015
Great place to work, best ROM in the company Raul R. in Vista CA cared for his employees witch made us enjoy going the extra mile everyday.
Love the company...
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee), DCAugust 12, 2015
Pros: The mission, the product, the customer service
Cons: Best Buy
I truly believe in SolarCity's mission. Their power purchase agreement is the best way to cover the country with solar panels.
Great Experience
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 12, 2015
Pros: great pay, benefits, and culture
Cons: management
I have had an amazing, albeit stressful experience with SolarCity. My job required me to be at Home Depots and generate leads from The Home Depot customers. I would interact with people and tell them about something I am very passionate about (clean energy) . When I first started I felt very appreciated as an employee. We had the freedom to set our own hours, and had little to no supervision. The benefits were great and the culture was the greatest I have ever seen! For three months running I was the top producer in my area. Eventually as SolarCity continued to expand, and because of my performance – more... along with my coworkers, corporate decided to increase the number of people in my field, gaining access to more Home Depots and Best Buys around the country. The job became more of "9-5" type of job. Little by little the freedoms that i had once enjoyed were being taken away. They expected us to talk to every single person in the store, take short lunches, and be there a full eight hours a day. This I wouldn't have had a problem with, if the newer management for my area weren't constantly attempting to spy on us from a distance. I wasn't used to this kind of distrust and micro-management. They became increasingly demanding of us, even doubling our quota as if things hadn't become stressful enough. Eventually I did not feel valued as an employee anymore and I didn't feel like I was working in a professional environment. The pay and benefits were still excellent and management pretended like they cared, but it was constantly like walking on eggshells. One little misstep and your $30000/year salary plus commission and benefits could be stripped from you in a heartbeat. As I began watching my coworkers disappear, my feelings of job security had all but vanished. The stress was affecting my work and personal life, which is why I did not think it was healthy to continue my employment there. All in all however, I made great friends and learned valuable communication skills while getting a taste of what a great career can be. for someone with no college degree (yet) and in his early twenties I will always consider my time with SolarCity a valuable experience. – less
Supply Chain Planner (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Mission, Opportunity, Gratification
Cons: No Life Work Balance
If you want to contribute to a better future for the planet and all of us in it, this is the place to work.

Strong team and stronger results.

Room for advancement is very possible.

No work life balance. All work, very little play.
Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee), RosevilleAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Good schedule
Cons: Very low starting pay and takes a several months to get commission checks rolling in
Good culture and atmosphere. Heavy hitters can make a good amount of money. Low starting pay makes it difficult to make ends meet for the first 6 months until you are able to start collecting commission.
Bitter Sweet
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee), White Plains, MDAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Good, weekly pay.
Cons: Short Breaks, Long Hours, Streniuos work, Unset hours, BAD MANAGEMENT
6 A.m warehouse; Team meeting or loading trucks. Move to site, install the panels go home. No matter how long or how much help you have, or the weather the job must be completed no matter the time either.
Good way to get into solar
Solar Energy Consultant (Former Employee), Roseville, CAAugust 6, 2015
Pay is low, but easiest way to get into solar and learn about the industry, utility rates and competition. Work across many states is also good and provides a solid base for the future.
Great enviornment
Inspections, Permits and Warehouse (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 3, 2015
Pros: very friendly
Cons: cant name any
I loved the team work, very fun place to work. easy going and everyone is always willing to help each other. A great work environment
Middle Management missing vision
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaAugust 1, 2015
The executive team and company direction are changing the future of our world! They are brilliant however, the director team is numbers driven and show little concern for the employee experience.
Great, Fun place to work!
Inside Energy Advisor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2015
Awesome place to work, Flexible with schedule, Motivators, so much positive energy around you. Hard to get in to but rewarding and learning new technologies every day.
Awesome culture with a family like team atmophere
Outside Energy Consultant (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Time is yours do what you have to and make the best of your days.
Cons: Time is yours if you do not have good time management skills its not the job for you.
SolarCity is doing amazing things. The product saves people money, the environment, and increases customers home re-sell value. You feel good about what you are selling and make a lot of money doing it. You are given a ridiculously large amount of trust. It feels as if you are a franchise owner and how hard you work is up to you. Your days consist of self-generating leads, self-marketing any way you can, running in home appointments, taking care of administrative documentation, and construction project managing. You can do this from home or from the office. Just make sure you hit your reasonable sales quotas. It is very easy to surpass your sales quotas as long as you work hard. It is also very easy to fall behind because you are given so much trust to do your job when no one is watching. The commission is uncapped some make over $200,000.
unethical corporate nonsense
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: too many to lits.
I worked with Solar City for a few months. I was excited to be in a growing industry that I believed in. After the initial shock of landing a job for them wore off, I saw just how awful of a company it is. They have the worst problem solving skills I have ever dealt with in my professional career. The use many manipulation tactics to land business and have zero business ethics. If you don't eat the nonsense they feed, you then you will be singled out of their cult and unemployed. Hand's down the worst business I have ever worked with in my career. Try hiring people who are competent enough to handle their job title and the responsibilities with it.
Amazing company helping to change the world, Dynamic leaders of the industry
SR ENERGY CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2015
Solarcity is a company that is paving the way for a renewable future. They put so much time and effort into making the business of solar energy easier, more affordable, approachable, and fun.
They have invested considerable resources to remove the roadblocks that have prevented people from going solar in the past.
Very energetic place to work
Warehouse Manager / Regional Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Glendale, AZJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and good comrodary
Cons: never enough time in a day
Everyday was a new challenge, no one day was the same as another. Always ready for a new adventure, whether it was pulling jobs, receiving inventory or cycle counting.
Headquarters