SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

Not recimmended
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJ7 December 2016
I was told I could make $80,000 or more during the interview. I didn't even make half of that. This job is great if you're the 1 in 10+ people who just has a natural flare for sales.
Do not believe the job listings that say the salary is $100,000. I spoke to 2 people during my time there that made that much and it took years.
Management is unrealistic and not helpful. There were some great managers there but due to the poor communication skills and organization, successfully practices of one manager aren't shared with managers with extremely high turnover. In the time I was there, my manager lost an employee a month.
I would strongly suggest against working here.
Pros
Nice people, maintain own schedule
Cons
Terrible management, expensive benefits. I could go on and on
Fun and supportive environment.
Solar Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Concord, CA28 September 2016
I call clients who are either assigned to me by the company or I meet during events. I schedule an appointment where I explain the benefits of going solar which could be acquired at no cost to clients.
In my job, I learned how the utility company charges the consumer and how going solar can actually reduce the bills and simultaneously help the environment.
Management is supportive and provide us with a car, laptop, continuous training and incentives to do our job well. Co-workers are always available to support one another.
The hardest part of the job is when I was starting out and didn't have enough clients to meet the quota. Also, the quota is regularly changed and raised.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I am making a difference helping the customers and the environment.
Pros
company car and fuel
Cons
busy weekends
Retail energy consultant
Retail energy consultant (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Hill, NJ26 November 2016
Don't even contemplate on this position. No salary. Like working for charity?, this is the place. Management is micro management. Run a kiosk and get spied on and humiliated. Expect to sell your soul. Beyond horrendous. Youll be promised the moon but recieve unfulfilled promises. Im.not sugarcoatING from other reviews. This is truth. Youll regret the day you stayed with this job. Never worked with so many unhappy people in my life. Don't be fooled by false expectations. Solar a fun industry. But least get a company that will pay you for your time, rather than working fir nothing.
Pros
Healthcare. But doesnt cover that much
Cons
List is too long
Moving ahead always
Energy Efficiency Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CA6 October 2016
My experience with SolarCity is that the organization is all about growth and goes through as many people as it needs. Long hours and high expectations for ok benefits. What you do get is a lot of experience in a short time. Either you work yourself out of a grunt role to better management or senior role or you leave to find greener pastures elsewhere. They are innovating thanks to Tesla technologies.
Get the experience, meet some good people and then get going to another company!
Pros
Exposure to every kind of scenario you could believe
Cons
Sales driven organization, produce or get pushed out
A company with a strong work culture of innovation, adhesion and acceptance.
Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT25 November 2016
I company I truly enjoy working with. SolarCity has a clear purpose; a clear perspective of what they want to achieve, and the clearly outlined company goals to reach it. There is a strong culture, a belief in what the company does for the betterment of people and the environment. The CEO is one who is always successful, and that creates an opportunity for others to ride his coat tails to success.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Commission only compensation
Great Mission and People
Commercial Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA5 December 2016
I loved the company and my coworkers. The goals were lofty but efforts were fairly rewarded, fir the most part. My only criticism is the directive form the very top to grow at any cost had huge fallout both internally and from a customer experience point of view. With that said, I was extremely grateful to be a part of growing a flourishing culture and being able to positively impact so many lives.
Pros
Culture, Mission, Altruistic Goals
Cons
Compensation took swan dive, opting for quantity over quality in hiring process.
Great company difficult work life balance
Retail energy consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA7 July 2016
This company has huge potential and requires hard work to succeed. Most of your day is spent out of the office. You must be a go getter to succeed and sacrifice most of your personal life. The earnings can be huge and the learning curve is steep. The only issue is that middle management only sees you as a number and when you are doing well you are praised for it, if not your are left out to dry.

All of my co-workers were extremely intelligent and great to be around.

The hardest part of working here is not the sales, the product sells itself it is amazing. It is coping with long day with no results and working your hardest everyday to eventually have one or two really good days with the rest being dull and boring.

The part I enjoyed most was my paychecks on a good week. You are payed weekly!
Pros
Freedom to work as you please
Cons
No work life balance.
Great company - hard job
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PA26 June 2016
I am a field energy consultant. Selling solar in PA is more difficult than I was lead to believe. Your competition is the public utilities. We sell a great product that costs more than what the homeowner is offered by their public utility. You have a base salary & then you get paid a commission typically 5 months after a job has been sold. There is very little work life balance. On holidays they are always asking the sales staff to work. Your schedule can be flexible, but very rarely is it your own. There is always pressure to work 7 days a week. If you have a family expect to work most nights & weekends for the first year of working there if not longer. There is a growing movement to generate most of your business. If you don't generate 60% of your own business don't expect to get a promotion. The product is great & the company a true visionary.
Pros
great people, being on you own
Cons
no work life balance, working all the times weekends & nights
Great culture
Inside Energy Consultant Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CA22 August 2016
Fun place to work and a fun product to have knowledge on. Typical day at work included contacting past customers to update on project and create referrals. Also close deals daily in order to surpass quota. Management was second to none as they are all highly qualified for their position. Co- workers are fun and hard working. Hardest part of the job was working really hard for little return. Most enjoyable was the culture at work and all the fun events.
Pros
commission. people. management
Cons
no 401k. pay.
Hardest job and the Most Rewarding
Sales Direct (Field) (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NY25 September 2016
Solar was one of the newest industries to me when I started at SC. I learned quickly and had the #1 sales office wide my first week. Selling solar is not easy but it is the most rewarding, to be apart of something so huge. Saving the planet, cleaning the air and helping customers avoid the high rates while most times saving money.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, Brand, Hours on the job
Cons
Commission rate, No hourly or Salary, Bonuses, work and home balance, financial purchase options to customers
Mostly good people, poorly managed
Installer 2 (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CA25 July 2016
Solarcity is, on paper, an excellent company to work for. In practice, the west coast suffers from poor job flow, below average compensation, little room to move up, and terrible management in the pacific northwest. Crews are mostly comprised of intelligent hard working people, trying to fight for a living. Scheduling and job flow present the biggest challenges, even to well established offices and crews. The actual installation process is enjoyable, as is the hugely promoted social culture within the company.
Pros
free swag
Cons
costly benefits, little done to drive morale
do not do it worst company i ever worked for
Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MA14 September 2016
worked for this company and there the worst company i ever worked for there inside sales team steals your sales and commisions you brought to them from knocking on doors there management is a bunch of unqualified kids and the company will change your commision rates and benifits at there will anything to make them more profitable comes off your back and when your customers refer there friends the referal fee comes off your commission .
Great place!
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR15 September 2016
Working with SolarCity was one of my best experiences. Everyone was generally nice people and the mood was somewhat lax in a good way. Safety, and Quality were the two Maine focuses on the company and following those focuses was pretty easy. If given the opportunity I would work there again in the future.
I'm still young and ignorant about the benefits that were provided to me. The plans seemed decent enough and they had a 401k setup. Again, I hadn't payed too much attention to all this unfortunately.
Pros
Friendly employees, and great goals.
Cons
Business flow.
Good Company just needs time
Energy Consultant / Customer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV29 November 2016
SolarCity is a great company with great values. The only down side is how PUC's around the country and utility companies are not giving the full benefits to the customer and making solar look bad in the eye of the consumer. The company at this point in time is a reactive company versus proactive and I find that a major down fall.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Reactive rather than proactive
Fast paced, heavy workflow, repetitive.
JUNIOR INSTALLER (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CA27 July 2016
If you don't mind working hard for your paycheck, good place to work at. Summers were brutal. Compensation promoted a very fast paced workflow. Finishing jobs quicker gets you bonus pay. Everything is done online, clocking into work, submitting time sheet, requesting days of or sick days and online video training.
Pros
Finishing work faster equals more pay, Harder jobs equals more bonus pay, company involved with employees, company outings and contests
Cons
summers on rooftops are brutal, odd days off when new, new management was not good at assigning jobs
Flexible, Many hours with minimal compensation
Field Energy Consultant (FEC) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA15 September 2016
Great Company as a whole, but field energy consultants don't get compensated well and are expected to work many hours.
Really enjoy selling the product, selling in the home and having flexible hours, but Field Energy Consultants just don't get paid enough for what they do.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Product and customer interaction
Cons
Compensation, management tactics and hours demanded
All work, very little play
Installer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV7 June 2016
Up early because most of the other guys on the job cant be on time, so they made EVERYBODY show up extra early...
10-13 hours on a roof because the rest of the guys can't do the job right or in a timely manner...little time off and benefits not that great, very expensive. But Solar City has a butt load of hype and gear for you to buy with no employee discount..But I made decent money if I worked 80+ hours per week. If you tried to have a life by not working 80+ hours per week they busted your balls about it. Overall, kissing butt got you promoted and hard work got you abused. But hey, I got some cool shirts right...We did have a few cook outs, but after working weeks on end and having to kiss butt for them. I'm glad it closed down here on NV. Sad that a lot of great, hard working guys got laid off. But overall for me, a blessing...
Pros
Good money
Cons
Benefits, long hours
Good Company
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CA30 September 2016
SolarCity is a great company to work for. Management needs a little work (there are too many hands all in one basket,) but overall I enjoyed it. The best part about the job is the people you work with. Really down to earth and non pushy salesmen.
Pros
Vacation pay, benefits, commission
Cons
Management, promotions
Very good work company.
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV/Los Angeles area4 January 2017
worked for Solar City for almost 2yrs. love this company. it gives you not only the opportunity to advance financially speaking but its benefits are the best. their moral /conduct way inspires you to be better day by day.
Pros
Able to go home early and spend time with familiy.
Cons
not able to work on raining days.
Great work environment
Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Natick, MA28 October 2016
I would go door to door educating people on why it makes sense to switch over to solar energy. If they were interested I would sit down with them and educate them on the benefits. Its a whole sales pitch and consultation.
Pros
good money
Cons
No Job security

2.9