SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Dissapointed.
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), Chatsworth, CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Company car, laptop provided flexible work hours
Cons: Long work hours, bad management, lack of relevant training.
Although the company offers a strong product, they provide mixed messages. It seems that they don't care much for your belief in what you are doing as much as they care for how well you can perform in doing so. The company makes it mandatory to see potential customers even though they are aware that the customer will not qualify for solar (not the home owner, or lives in an apartment etc). Going to see all these customers makes it difficult to hit your sales goals and although they say they do not let go of people who miss their goals this is not true. They constantly let of go of underperforming employees.
High turn over, it is rare to find employees that have been with the company longer than 1 year.
Work hours are flexible (you create your own schedule) however you will be working lengthy hours and likely 7 days a week, making work/life balance extremely difficult.
Creative hiring strategies (internal referrals) , however to benefit from this program you must stay with the company at least a year and with the turn over so high, good luck.
With a couple of changes, SolarCity can be more than fantastic however I don't believe the management sees it in their best interest. Too bad because what they do is so important for our energy crisis.
Average
Energy Specialist (Former Employee), Los AngelesMay 19, 2015
Too much micromanagement but a lot of room for growth. The pay is pretty unreasonable for the amount of work however. The corporate structure doesn't work to well for the company because they do not have reasonable expectations for employees at the Lead Generation Level (FES) even though all the pressure lies on that position.
new challenges everyday
Energy Sales (Current Employee), Hawthorne, CAMay 17, 2015
To encounter the different walks of life the customers i encounter with is a experience of its own. Great way to help the environment.
Growing Business
Performance Marketing (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 17, 2015
Pros: Talented coworkers, free cereal, outdoor work area, equity opportunities
Cons: Weak management, no on-boarding, poor communication between departments
The solar energy industry is rapidly growing, with SolarCity owning 40% of market share. The performance marketing department is focused on increased sales leads through SEM, SEO, Online, Search, Direct Mail, and Lead Gen campaigns. The culture is very start-up with management exploring and testing department structures and responsibilities. This has lead to friction between departments and teams as well as project overlap, duplication, or neglect.
The best part of the job is definitely the people, who all feel like they are contributing to saving the planet through their unique set of skills.
Growth Opportunity - Long Hours
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), Chatsworth, CAMay 14, 2015
Pros: Growth opportunities
Cons: Stressful
Sales at SolarCity involves long hours, high expectations, and constant change. The rewards can be great but depends on the market you are working because each territory has its own challenges. Once highly regarded as a place to work, sales people are now regarded as means to an end. Salespersons do not make commissions without success managing the project all the way through installation. Requires extensive learning on the job. If you fail to make quota (often working all weekend and long days) you are seen as someone who wastes resources. Make sure you want to rise to management in a high stress environment because the income is low for sales consultants for the amount of work expected.
co-workers
Senior Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), San Mateo, CAMay 5, 2015
Pros: autonomy to do your job and sell
Cons: too many sales meetings
everyone that works at solarcity is part of the family. they can all be called on for assistance & you can count on someone to help with any minor detail or major issue. truly teammates, the company operates with a chain of command that makes employee feel they will always be heard.
good product, good vision
Field Energy Consultant-Outside Sales Executive (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Great industry and product, good benefits
Cons: too many hours, no work life balance, hired too many people market is overloaded
growing too fast, over hiring way too many sales people stepping all over each other. No qualifications necessary, which lowers your position and view from the general public.
na
field energy specialist (Current Employee), Stockton, CAMay 3, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
Good company to work for. Has room to grow. Can make a pretty good commissions check if work hard at it. Job is harder than what a person mite think.
GREAT company terrible people and management
FES (Former Employee), Bay AreaMay 2, 2015
Pros: Good company
Cons: Terrible people or management
Former employee couple of people ruined it for me!
Two BAD managers! Good company too bad! Just two manager ruined it for me!
Colorado Market Imploding
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), DenverApril 30, 2015
Pros: great friends, good pay
Cons: terrible management, culture of fear, everyone is unhappy
I really enjoyed a lot of my time with the company. I made great friends and was compensated well. However, do not come to work in the Colorado market! It is shrinking. SolarCity mismanaged this situation. They aggressively ramped up their workforce while they knew utility rebates (which were keeping them in business here) were dwindling. Instead of being open and honest with staff about this problem they created a culture of fear by continual firing people, even if they were not on job performance standards. I don't know if all SolarCity territories are this bad, but don't come to work in Colorado.
Could be better
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Gilbert, AZApril 30, 2015
Pros: healthcare
Cons: not paid enough for the work you do in the warehouse
The job is easy, but under paid. They're stating to down size in my area and you don't know if you're gonna have a job or not.
The Solar City Experience
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 21, 2015
Pros: great work environment, flexible work dress code, nice co-workers
Cons: underpay of workers
As a worker at Solar City, it is a great company, however, the pay is very low. Also, it is very competitive to move up in the company, but most of the time, they really do hire from within.
Good place to work if your just starting out
SOLAR CONSULTANT (Current Employee), Murrieta, CAApril 20, 2015
Company growing faster than they can keep up with as far as competent management experience and knowing how to groom for future growth.
A Day In The Life of a Document Generation Specialist
Document Generation Specialist (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 17, 2015
Pros: Free Occasional Lunches, Company Policies were outstanding
Cons: Over-priced benefits, did not pay enough
We would have work from our queue assigned to us. We had a quota of processing 18 jobs per day however, I set a personal goal of processing 25-30 jobs/day. When I started this position, we had direct customer contact to inform them of the documents we had just sent to them (usually via email) and discussed any changes to their system, production or contract and also if any additional pre-install work was needed or required.
all about money
warehouse stock clerk (Current Employee), Chico, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: free hats
Cons: low pay, no incentives terrible management
Dont do it, poor management no incentives for warehouse workers.
soon as the numbers fell down we got threatened to lose our jobs, and fired one guy, low pay overall they talk about advancement but its simply a lie DONT DO IT!!!!!
great reason to go to work every day
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), Camarillo, CAApril 16, 2015
Going to work every day knowing that your time is helping clean our air is a great thing, learning about renewable energy and how to become more sustainable was a great learning experience, however the training is not good at all, you have no days off, and at one point you are working for your promoters and not the other way around, the commissions you are promise are based on installations and you have no control of that, so be prepare to make 2k per month for the first six months before you see any money. I have also come to the conclusion that this company is expecting you to sell to all your friends and family first and if you are lucky you'll get some leads from Home Depot but don't count on it, at least not the good ones.
Just OK,
Logistics Manager (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAApril 7, 2015
Extreme growth created an environment of constant change which seemed like borderline chaos a lot of the time. The image of saving the world with Solar power wore thin after a while when ultimately it is all about making money, like any other large corporation.
Good and bad at the same time.
Account management (Current Employee), Albany, New YorkApril 3, 2015
Pros: More you work the more money you make.
Cons: No Free time. All work no play.
Solar City is a company that changes constantly. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. A good thing they change because they are constantly growing. The bad is once you get somewhat used how things are going they do a 180 and go the other way. good earning potential but NO LOYALTY to those who have been there.
good company, but did not come through as expected
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee), San Bernardino CountyApril 2, 2015
Pros: good technology
Cons: Did not come through with sales leads
I was told when I was hired that sales leads would be supplied for me. I ended up having to work at Home Depots to generate my leads. Also, I was not able to work there more that 2 or 3 hours at a stretch.
Fun place to work
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee), Milpitas, CAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Mileage and business phone reimbursement.
Cons: none
A typical day is setting personal goals to attain leads for business. Interacting with clients by attending site visits and recommending the best option for their financial and environmental goals. What I have learned about working in the Solar Industry is that by going solar, we save thousands of gallons of water a year which produces dirty energy. I enjoy working with the management team and have a good working relationship with my current manager. I also work very well with my co-workers and will socialize with them outside business hours.The hardest part of the job is when a customer decides not to go Solar, however, it is rewarding when I convince them using objection handling techniques to seek the root cause of their concerns. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping families and their friends go solar while helping them save on high energy costs and improving environmental conditions.

1 2 3 4 5

About SolarCity

SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to – Read more