SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Awesome culture with a family like team atmophere
Outside Energy Consultant (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Time is yours do what you have to and make the best of your days.
Cons: Time is yours if you do not have good time management skills its not the job for you.
SolarCity is doing amazing things. The product saves people money, the environment, and increases customers home re-sell value. You feel good about what you are selling and make a lot of money doing it. You are given a ridiculously large amount of trust. It feels as if you are a franchise owner and how hard you work is up to you. Your days consist of self-generating leads, self-marketing any way you can, running in home appointments, taking care of administrative documentation, and construction project managing. You can do this from home or from the office. Just make sure you hit your reasonable sales quotas. It is very easy to surpass your sales quotas as long as you work hard. It is also very easy to fall behind because you are given so much trust to do your job when no one is watching. The commission is uncapped some make over $200,000.
unethical corporate nonsense
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: too many to lits.
I worked with Solar City for a few months. I was excited to be in a growing industry that I believed in. After the initial shock of landing a job for them wore off, I saw just how awful of a company it is. They have the worst problem solving skills I have ever dealt with in my professional career. The use many manipulation tactics to land business and have zero business ethics. If you don't eat the nonsense they feed, you then you will be singled out of their cult and unemployed. Hand's down the worst business I have ever worked with in my career. Try hiring people who are competent enough to handle their job title and the responsibilities with it.
Amazing company helping to change the world, Dynamic leaders of the industry
SR ENERGY CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 26, 2015
Solarcity is a company that is paving the way for a renewable future. They put so much time and effort into making the business of solar energy easier, more affordable, approachable, and fun.
They have invested considerable resources to remove the roadblocks that have prevented people from going solar in the past.
Very energetic place to work
Warehouse Manager / Regional Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Glendale, AZJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and good comrodary
Cons: never enough time in a day
Everyday was a new challenge, no one day was the same as another. Always ready for a new adventure, whether it was pulling jobs, receiving inventory or cycle counting.
High energetic!
Legacy Rep Advisor (Former Employee), Roseville, CAJuly 21, 2015
SolarCity is an amazing company hands down! Ive never seen a working environment where they tried so hard to make it such a fun and high energetic place! The first day i remember feeling welcomed right off the bat
Great company and superb C level leaders.
Outside Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee), ArizonaJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Great products and fantasticcare for the customer.
Cons: Weird hours.
I recommend this company and their products. SC offers the best technology for solar and its tie in with Tesla's battery technology proofs it.
Classic used car sales environment driven by you inexperienced people with no clue on managing others
Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAJuly 20, 2015
Sales driven organization worrying only about the numbers. Little to no sales support. Commissions are miserly. No money to be made by most people working in sales.
Poor management and culture
Sales (Former Employee), NJJuly 18, 2015
If you have sales experience, work on the West Coast if you want a commission check. The other states are struggling to keep up because they don't have effective management. Good luck after a few webinars that replace face to face training.
SolarCity: Giving People the Power to Help the Environment and Decrease their Electricity Bills
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Furthered experience in sales, marketing, and public speaking.
Cons: Not challenging enough
In general, it is a great company that is doing amazing things and accomplishing major feats. SolarCity is the largest solar installer, in America, and through this company, they are giving people the power to have a say in how they pay for their electricity and more control over their consumption of electricity.
Overall 50/50. If you are successful with company constantly changing you will succeed.
FIELD ENERGY SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Orange CountyJuly 15, 2015
Stand in Home Depot as a vendor and approach customers and explain to them the benefits about going solar. I learned to stay organized, follow up with leads, keep notes for each customer and ultimately set appointments for a solar consultant to go to the home.
upbeat friendly workplace
Warehouse Stock Clerk \ Site Surveyor (Current Employee), Milpitas, CAJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Fun positive environment. Learn new skills. Make money
Cons: Long days-extreme climate conditions
Fast pace environment with lost of room to grow
NO previous experience needed- able to learn new skill
Management is understanding and willing to help you
Everyone is there ready to make money and get the job done
Everyone there is willing to help you to succeed
must stay focused in task ahead to preform at a high level
Brand Ambassador
Solar panel business ambassador (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Independent Contract for time conveinence
Cons: difficultly establishing network of client
Recruiting friends, relatives, families, coworkers for consultations to see if suitable for solar panel energy services.
Good work environment with a friendly staff
Solar Installer (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 10, 2015
Working here is great good people nice work area.The people you meet are great especially customers. The work in summer is hard but its only three months the rest is just basic knowledge and knowing what your doing.
Great company always bringing new development to the market
Filed Energy Consultant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 8, 2015
Pros: company car, free gas, employee's benefits (health, vision, etc)
Very aggressive company with excellent top management level. During the last year, the company has grown successfully, but still needs to work with departments interaction.
Great company but very poor management
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee), Rocky Hill, CTJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Employee team work, good cause. Elon Musk
Cons: FEA Management team, no respect, lack of management team experience
I loved everyone I worked with and it felt good selling a product that I truly believed in. Worked well with other team members and we all worked together to solve problems.
Management did nothing at all to contribute except send out emails constantly scolding the team. When asked for help or advice the advice given was that of a 10 year old child who read their first motivational book in their life. Management was very young, very immature and ran things like a dictatorship with zero empathy for fellow employees. If you don't agree with their abusive ways they will find any way possible to get rid of you and sabotage your career. Even if you are a top performer or have been with the company for awhile you are always looking over your shoulder when new management comes along. Not a secure place for anyone. If you enjoy working for self absorbed, narcissistic type of management this may be a great fit for you.
Rewarding
CREW LEAD ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 5, 2015
At Solar City we work hard, and strive to be the best. I feel that Solar City has some of the highest safety and quality standards in the industry. An industry leader for sure.
A growing place with great ideas, however...
Installer (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 1, 2015
Pros: free t-shirts. Stock award after a but (restricted units)
Cons: Dismal pay rates and structure, 8hr holiday pay for 10hrs installer day, advanced in Portland seems unlikely, no training, inexperienced mgmt
The best way to describe the installer position is bipolar. Some paydays are a bit above average due to a bonus structure that works about 30 percent of the time in Portland, but most days, you are battling the clock, traffic, and miscommunication to keep your head above water in the bonus game. If you work too fast and do well at the beginning of the week, then land the ever-occurring roof leak response or re-install, you will be essentially working for free. Your output commission is based on total hours worked, and not on a job per job basis or some other sensible method. If you ever manage to catch a break and make some some good panel pay, it will be taxed almost 50%. Sounds good during the interview, but once you get on the roof it is a different story. If you have any real financial responsibilities, slapping glass is probably not for you, however, if you do not mind $300 paychecks, miscommunication, and not knowing where you are supposed work until 10 hrs before start, I encourage you to apply. I admire the Rives and Elon Musk for what they are going for, it just seems like installers have been forgotten about and deemed a disposable resource buy first line managers who sit back at the office. Rework panel pay!
it was a great place to work
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee), Vista, CAJune 26, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: cut hours
I wish i was still working here, but my hours got cut because we hired much more people what cut a lot of peoples hours. Besides my hours getting cut i would tell anybody to try to get hired here.
Great company, but Elon Musk would be mortified with the mgmt in CO
Energy Consultant, Recruiter, Training, Energy Rep (Former Employee), Denver, COJune 25, 2015
Pros: No cap on commission, product that sells itself, fantastic benefits
Cons: Managers that were not only underqualified, but allowed immoral sales methods to be used, and hired friends over quality candidates
Primarily I am an Energy Consultant with SolarCity. I am involved in creating, managing, and building clientele. I Identify quality candidates and introduce them to the ever growing and massively expanding realm of renewable energy, specifically solar energy. After client acquisition, I then guide them through the adoption of Solar Power for their residential applications. My goal is to not only put solar energy on clients homes, but to create an "Ambassador" or someone who is going to help expand the general populations understanding of our extreme need for renewable energy and companies like SolarCity. If we wanted to, as a society we could remove ourselves from fossil fuels much easier than public belief. All it takes, as Elon Musk has shown, is the vision of a few.

Here in Colorado, we have a unique situation. The market for renewable energy is not driven by consumer demand, but instead by the State's demand for energy companies to adhere to the Renewable Energy Mandate, passed by Governor Bill Ritter.

As an Energy Consultant I help Colorado's energy grid and the impending 2030 30% Renewable Energy Mandate by identifying, contacting, and distributing to home owners, state-of-the-art solar energy modules for residential use, thus driving the expansion of renewable energy and diminishing our need for sources of energy that are responsible for the pollutants we all deal with today.
Tons of hype. Decent products with tons of hype.
sales (Former Employee), Las Vegas NVJune 25, 2015
Pros: fun company
Cons: everything is this review and all the others present.
This is a good place to work at. Pay is decent. But theres something about the culture that is almost insulting i guess the word is. There is something wrong with people if they want to come here and work 8 hours, do their best, then go home to regular life. If you dont jump on with the hype and look for ways to do more and more around here, your mediocre. If you dont want to jump up and give it your all everyday with no lack, something is wrong with you. I think everyone should be that way, but they make it seem as if, well, they're doing it for you and your best interests. But, with all the work that everyone puts in here, with the lions share of profit going to the people who run the company, they should just bring out the whips and start whipping instead of acting like our friends and that they care for us like family. Which is garbage I hate being insulted by showing up and having to jump on with the hype instead if being respected for who and what I am.

1 2 3 4 5

About SolarCity

SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to – Read more