SolarCity

SolarCity Employee Reviews

Fun work environment with a good cause
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 23, 2016
 Engage customers regarding SolarCity’s clean energy solutions.
 Drive the creation of in-store leads to meet personal and team sales goals and objectives.
 Collaborate with Outside Solar Sales Consultants to confirm in-home appointments.
 Set up SolarCity displays and collateral.
 Work side-by-side with top sales producers and learning from them directly.
amazing company
Installer (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAJune 19, 2016
i like this company because of , management, responsibility. i worked with them and i learned alot . i learn what ever i needed .
fun coworker, cool manager, big shop.
Unorganized but great Opportunity.
Sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJJune 17, 2016
Management was all over the place

The job was amazing because you were able to create your own opportunities... whether it was in a mall or going out into a neighborhood with a positive attitude to sell Electricity at a lower price than their current contracts.
surveyor
Site Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 16, 2016
I dont know abiout there dedication to the employee was very sketchy and untrusworthy definetley not a place with job security
shop helper
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAJune 14, 2016
easy work delivering parts and equipment as well as getting to help and larger projects and learn a lot.
SolarCity is a great company to work for.
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 14, 2016
SolarCity gives you the tools to make a positive impact on clients and the environment. You engage customers regarding SolarCity’s clean energy solutions, including gathering data, design a solar system, perform a soft credit check, go through installation and inspection processes, saving and benefits.
Pros
No micromanage
great environment with plenty oppourtunity for advancement.
Warehouse Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 14, 2016
Very work intensive environment when you start off from the bottom, but plenty of room for advancement once you get experience.
Long hours for Accounting
Accounting (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 13, 2016
Benefit is below average company in the Bay Area. Too many change in 2016 resulting long hours working. A lot of talent people left.
Good Job
Field Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 10, 2016
Learned a lot on this Job.
Worked mostly with the person running appointments. Had meetings every day. Did a lot of networking and used people skills to obtain more leads.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
The guy running my appointments would not follow through.
This company is expanding and looking for new / hungry leaders
Outside Energy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 8, 2016
The management at SolarCity is fierce and hungry, and they are looking for individuals to help them grow into additional states and regions.
It's certainly not the management or the culture at SolarCity that has me looking for employment elsewhere.
Pros
Your run your own business, you run a business within a business, and your must produce to stay hired
Cons
there is no base pay, and its an industry in CONSTANT change
meeting new people and qualify their homes for installation everyday
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2016
Setup Kiosk, greet every person I come in contact with and inform them of my products. When people brush you off is not much fun however, when you can satisfy their needs with your products is very exciting. You have to know you products in order inform or sell it so that's what I learned. a great deal about solar.
Pros
once a week you get to see all of your co-workers at weekly meeting
Cons
pressure keeping your numbers up
slow entry sales
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAJune 8, 2016
commissions take forever to find their way into your paycheck and only about 5 percent of appointments made will end up going through to installation for you to make commission.
All work, very little play
Installer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 7, 2016
Up early because most of the other guys on the job cant be on time, so they made EVERYBODY show up extra early...
10-13 hours on a roof because the rest of the guys can't do the job right or in a timely manner...little time off and benefits not that great, very expensive. But Solar City has a butt load of hype and gear for you to buy with no employee discount..But I made decent money if I worked 80+ hours per week. If you tried to have a life by not working 80+ hours per week they busted your balls about it. Overall, kissing butt got you promoted and hard work got you abused. But hey, I got some cool shirts right...We did have a few cook outs, but after working weeks on end and having to kiss butt for them. I'm glad it closed down here on NV. Sad that a lot of great, hard working guys got laid off. But overall for me, a blessing...
Pros
Good money
Cons
Benefits, long hours
Fun work environment, horrible pay though.
Inside Energy Consultant - Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 7, 2016
I currently work here at SolarCity at the town square office. The company is great, I believe in the CEO and the direction he is taking the company; however the inside sales management is terrible. The company has a 120% attrition rate for Inside Sales which means they are firing more people than they are hiring. I personally like what I do but I am leaving due to the horrible pay and sales process.

The pay is $11.74/hr + unlimited commission. You are paid commission when the jobs are installed which could take anywhere from 3-7 months. So if you're new and don't have a pipeline built up, be prepared to live off of top ramen and $850/ bi-weekly maybe less.

You must meet certain metrics to keep your job, as long as you can meet these metrics you have the privilege of staying with the company. If not, then they will walk you out quicker than you can say do you want solar.

This job is good for those who are single and need more sales experience, but if you have a family, be careful if you don't have much money saved up.

True earning potential is around 35 - 55k a year. And the 55k is if you come in, bust your a** every month. There is no work life balance here, this company is the worse I have ever worked at in regards to work life balance.

I hope this helps.
Pros
Benefits are good, nice office and nice break room.
Cons
Low pay, no job security, management isn't up to par.
good company
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAJune 5, 2016
Good place to work. Good opportunity for upward movement. Not enough to live on base salary in LA. management can be lacking. self motivation is a must
Pros
clean energy
Cons
no 401k
Great Company!
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJune 2, 2016
Great company to work for. Get paid just to inform people about solar. If they are interested then set them up with a consultation. Hardest part about it is getting people to truly understand what solarcity does for customers compared to other solar companies. People have heard it before and are tired but it is your job to switch that. Solarcity does solar different and right. No leans on your property and completely covered with a $2 million insurance for your home and equipment for the duration.
Pros
freedom to talk to people
Cons
rude people and to many meetings
fun work environment
Junior Installer (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 1, 2016
Great place to work that offers their employees great rewards. Also a great company to work for with great team work. They allow you the freedom to get things done without much overhead from supervisors. They trust their employees.
Production based company
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Thousand Palms, CAMay 31, 2016
Working for solar city has been lots fun. Great compensation flexible hours. The biggest down side has been trying to promoted. A typical day would consist of qualifying customers and setting them up for an appointment. I would break down how solar works to help lower their electric bill. As well as explain the process of getting it installed and keeping up with older customers.
Pros
Provided laptop and paid for cell phone
Cons
Difficult to get promoted
its a job
PV Installer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2016
good if you are in need of work, but be prepared to be thrown to the curb the second their stock prices drop. Back breaking work with no reward.
Fun Place to work
Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 31, 2016
A typical day for me at work would be me coming in, setting up my station, and talking to every customer to help them as much as i can. I had learned about how much renewable energy effects our everyday life in a positive way. It was nice to know that my managers were around to help when we needed them. My co workers made it fun to come to work. The hardest part of my job was after i had to start traveling everyday to work. The most enjoyable part was knowing i was helping make the world a better place.
Pros
Team events, environmentally friendly
Cons
short lunches, customer response, and distance