Solar Turbines Employee Reviews

Contract Employees
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA23 May 2017
This would be a 5 star company if their contract employees had the option to become permanent after a year. This is a major problem at this company!! I hope they change their ways!
Work Summary
Group Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA30 March 2017
Used to be great place to work. Not anymore. Union is taking over, people are not held accountable for their mistakes. Benefits package is getting worst. Solar becoming more CAT dependent.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Benefits are not what they used to be. Becoming average company.
excellent environement
Opérateur de production (usinage de pièces) (Former Employee) –  Gosselies28 March 2017
journée de travail agréable
manageur très sympatique
excellente entente dans le groupe
Worked there an an intern
Packaging and Systems Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA9 March 2017
The work there is good. We were provided a lot of SME's to guide us and are available to us whenever we needed help. We were given a clear project, and a lot of opportunities to reach out to different departments, allowing us to get a broader sense of the company.
AMbiente toxico
Field service representative (Former Employee) –  Ciudad del Carmen, Camp.7 March 2017
Tiene buenas cosas, pero, hay gente muy tóxica y si no estás con ellos estas en contra, con un error que cometas te creas mala fama el resto de tu estancia ahí.
Pros
prestaciones superiores a la ley
Cons
tienes que ser amigo de los jefes para poder subir
Okay
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA10 February 2017
This was an okay place to work at. It is not really friendly towards younger people. It is a conservative environment. It is a great place for people who are looking for a comfortable dependable place to work.
productive and fun workplace
Technician (Former Employee) –  Macae, BR6 February 2017
A job where very good learning.
Where I worked offshore with Maintenance of turbines and gas compressors
Industrial automation with rockwell allen bradley.

And various medical and analytical instruments.

Great place to pursue a professional career, it was a pity that the economic situation of Brazil interrupted my dream.
Pros
Carrer
Cons
Local management
Well clean and organized
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA21 January 2017
Clean well organized work place. Extremely safe. Great work experience. Lots of Friendly helpful people. Good save clean location.
all together a great company to work for
Hazardous Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA12 January 2017
A typical day at work was was checking emails, running a Waste Water Treatment Plant and Filter press unit. One of my roles was to Ensure that our equipment was working properly,Changing filters, filter press clean outs . I was also a Back up for my co-workers to a 90 day hazardous waste yard. This role was to maintain satellite areas, drum change outs, Taking daily meter readings , Inspections of secondary containments and tanks .Rain water samples, Changing filters ,Filter press sludge clean outs, scheduling shipments, inventory and ordering materials. I've learned alot from being at this company for 15yrs.. having a good work ethic , building a good rapport with people , teamwork, and multitasking . Management was great very helpful and supportive when needed. There was nothing in my position that I felt was difficult. Everyday was different but I enjoyed my job it was a job that I took pride in for 15yrs.
Pros
great benefits, good people, nice location
Learned alot at work
Sr. Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA2 January 2017
My manaement is very supportive and friendly with all the workers and encourages in all aspects.
My co-workers are very compitative and sorptive at the work
Solar Turbines
Safety Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA15 December 2016
Solar Turbines is an excellent company to work for. Plenty of leading and lagging indicators to manage EHS programs. I mainly deal with non-San Diego facilities worldwide.
Pros
Excellent safety culture. Lots of leading indicators
On Life Support
Sheetmetal Mechanic (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA17 October 2016
This company is one of the best manufacturing jobs in Southern California. Keep in mind, there are very few manufacturing jobs left in Southern California. The wages are nothing compared to the cost of living in San Diego. It used to be tempered by the benefit package and overtime availability. Over the last 5 years Caterpillar has gut the benefits and the downturn in oil prices has all but eliminated overtime. Management has been flooded with Caterpillar "rotational" employees...and they are having a terrible impact on what it used to mean to be a Solar employee. It is no longer a pleasant experience at work. It is no longer enjoyable to look forward to being there. There is a good deal of cronyism in the advancement process but lateral changes are still available. It is still a decent place to work, but I would only recommend it to a young individual who could use it to gain experience and leave to find a better opportunity.
Pros
It's stable employment
Cons
It's stagnant and in decline
Interesting work place to thrive and grow. Professional atmosphere, chapel, excercise room and medical on premises.
Sr. Computer Operator/Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA1 October 2016
Excellent place to work and thrive. Trained in Six Sigma Management and earned a Green Belt. Co-Workers are friendly and helpful. Hardest part of job includes working a mandatory 12 hour, 4 day, night-shift including week-ends. Most enjoyable part of job was working with complete autonomy during night-shift, easy parking, and a chapel on premises.
Pros
Large cafeteria, benefits, excercise room, high level classes, location.
Cons
Not much room for advancement in computer room.
Houston Office is NOT a Good Place to Work
Former Houston employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, Texas Office29 September 2016
Management here is delusional when it comes to what's fair and reasonable. They rule with military-like tactics and refuse to budge one iota when it comes to listening to employees, UNLESS you are one of the "Golden Employees". If you lucky enough to be one of the chosen few, you can then write your own rules.

There are extreme levels of inequity in the Houston office because what's good for the gander is out of the question for the goose. It is definitely NOT fun to work for this company.
Pros
Cons
Totally inequitable, Military-like atmosphere and culture
Lots of changes
Business Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA14 September 2016
the oil and gas market controls this company, with the oil market roller coaster there has been many significant changes at this company. a lot of restructuring and re orginazations, some good some bad.
Good friendly environment
Service Desk Information Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 9212312 September 2016
Good company with a long history in the job market. Large company with several branches to expand upon. More towards engineering side not so much for IT. Don't have any negative comments at the moment.
Pros
na
Cons
na
A decent place to work with exception of an open environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TX26 August 2016
Turbofab facility has been thru an evolutionary change out of the stoneage. When I began my journey there, it was bare bones when it came to equipment and strategies. We slowly began to upgrade equipment and methodology. Bringing in 6sigma concepts and accountabilities. We then added robotics and upgraded cnc equipment, for which I was a part of. Continued training of the workforce has made a big difference in the culture. An educated workforce, treating everyone fair and holding people accountable made an impact on the ability to serve our customers while maintaining a solid base of core people.
What a great place to Work!
A&P Overhaul Mechanic (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TX15 August 2016
I am very happy with this Company I do not want to leave however I want to see what other options I may have.
I am very interested in Field Service opportunities.
Good company to work
Program Manager / Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA4 August 2016
I have lot of respect of the company culture and the peers, but it is a manufacturing company therefore not too much focus on the evolving technology.
Great Company
Test Engineer and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA6 June 2016
Very nice company to work for and grow professionally. I enjoyed their 6 sigma drive and customer focus.

A typical work day consist of review and providing engineerings definition in order to complete a testing project.

I have learned a great deal of 6 sigma methodology and Leadership.

My coworkers in the testing environment were very supportive and nice to work with.

The hardest part of the job is leaving for the day. It was fun to work there.

The most enjoyable part of that job was the young engineers that I had the opportunity to collaborate with daily on many projects.
Pros
Six Sigma Drive
Cons
Not Racially Diverse

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solar Turbines. Our community is ready to answer.