Solar Turbines

Solar Turbines Employee Reviews

Interesting work place to thrive and grow. Professional atmosphere, chapel, excercise room and medical on premises.
Sr. Computer Operator/Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA1 October 2016
Excellent place to work and thrive. Trained in Six Sigma Management and earned a Green Belt. Co-Workers are friendly and helpful. Hardest part of job includes working a mandatory 12 hour, 4 day, night-shift including week-ends. Most enjoyable part of job was working with complete autonomy during night-shift, easy parking, and a chapel on premises.
Pros
Large cafeteria, benefits, excercise room, high level classes, location.
Cons
Not much room for advancement in computer room.
Houston Office is NOT a Good Place to Work
Former Houston employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, Texas Office29 September 2016
Management here is delusional when it comes to what's fair and reasonable. They rule with military-like tactics and refuse to budge one iota when it comes to listening to employees, UNLESS you are one of the "Golden Employees". If you lucky enough to be one of the chosen few, you can then write your own rules.

There are extreme levels of inequity in the Houston office because what's good for the gander is out of the question for the goose. It is definitely NOT fun to work for this company.
Pros
Cons
Totally inequitable, Military-like atmosphere and culture
A decent place to work with exception of an open environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TX26 August 2016
Turbofab facility has been thru an evolutionary change out of the stoneage. When I began my journey there, it was bare bones when it came to equipment and strategies. We slowly began to upgrade equipment and methodology. Bringing in 6sigma concepts and accountabilities. We then added robotics and upgraded cnc equipment, for which I was a part of. Continued training of the workforce has made a big difference in the culture. An educated workforce, treating everyone fair and holding people accountable made an impact on the ability to serve our customers while maintaining a solid base of core people.
Great Company
Test Engineer and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA6 June 2016
Very nice company to work for and grow professionally. I enjoyed their 6 sigma drive and customer focus.

A typical work day consist of review and providing engineerings definition in order to complete a testing project.

I have learned a great deal of 6 sigma methodology and Leadership.

My coworkers in the testing environment were very supportive and nice to work with.

The hardest part of the job is leaving for the day. It was fun to work there.

The most enjoyable part of that job was the young engineers that I had the opportunity to collaborate with daily on many projects.
Pros
Six Sigma Drive
Cons
Not Racially Diverse
You will belong to the Solar Family
Principal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA31 May 2016
Solar Turbines has been the best company I've worked for in San Diego.
It was great being on Turbomachinery Administrative team because we all worked together to support one another
Solar has some of the top notch employees with multiple degrees
Solar's Executive staff and President were all so great to support
Maintenance personnel always provided the best support to everyone
There are multiple departments to support you in your position and they do a fantastic job!
Pros
Solar's President, his staff and management team were great to work for.
Good friendly environment
Service Desk Information Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 9212312 September 2016
Good company with a long history in the job market. Large company with several branches to expand upon. More towards engineering side not so much for IT. Don't have any negative comments at the moment.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Good people
Sr. Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 May 2016
The best thing about this place is the people.
There are some very nice people working here, the work life balance is good if not great.
When things are good everything is great. In tough times they manage difficult decisions well to position the company well.
The management below the executive level, outside of a few individuals, has a lot of stagnation.
There is very little room for growth for talented people, and they generally leave or get frustrated and collect a paycheck.
Non-merit based advancement, purely subjective.
Undervalue technology.
Pros
Nice people. Good work life balance. Products sell themselves, or used to.
Cons
Too much job security, poor management below the exceutive level.
Lots of changes
Business Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA14 September 2016
the oil and gas market controls this company, with the oil market roller coaster there has been many significant changes at this company. a lot of restructuring and re orginazations, some good some bad.
Some company
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TX28 April 2016
Unless you are old friends with the lead man, he will give you comfort and easy work....if you are are new, it doesn't matter how many + years experience you have, he will put you in the slave department.

Management was perfect before, now its a mess! I've noticed this for too long and am now saying something.

The people that work at the channelview plant don't speak much English and will do whatever to keep their jobs...god forbid you work in their area or near them, otherwise they will freak out and curse you out for thinking that you will replace them.
Pros
good experience to gain
Cons
heavy favoritism
What a great place to Work!
A&P Overhaul Mechanic (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TX15 August 2016
I am very happy with this Company I do not want to leave however I want to see what other options I may have.
I am very interested in Field Service opportunities.
Good company to work
Program Manager / Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA4 August 2016
I have lot of respect of the company culture and the peers, but it is a manufacturing company therefore not too much focus on the evolving technology.
Great work environment
Logistics Technician (Former Employee) –  Mabank, TX24 April 2016
Responsibilities included inbound and outbound logistics.
I learned more about international shipping.
Management was very informative.
Co-workers were detail oriented.
I found nothing in this position that was overly difficult.
I enjoyed all the training.
Pros
Team work
Cons
No cons
Good people, pace, and work-life balance, but not enough accountability
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA28 February 2016
Overall review for this company is that it is a typical large company that relies on what it has succeeded with in the past. Being in such a historically lucrative yet cyclical industry, the company is a very lucrative one and has succeeded and grown. The people I work with are very easy to work alongside and there is very limited if any drama that hurts morale. People are welcoming and personable. However, there could be a little more accountability needed.
good co-workers, comfortable work enviroment
Technical Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA28 March 2016
flexible hours, good training, no pressure from management. enjoyed all my co-workers. there wasn't a bad of the day for me.
Pros
very good people to work with. no stress, mobility
Cons
completely dependent on the oil & gas industry
Computer Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 March 2016
Great Job pick your own hours to work
Great Management
Good for contract work
Worked San Diego I/2 from home
I worked as a contractor
No job security
No advancement
No Management
Grate people to work with
Pros
Pick your hours to work
Cons
No Cons
Solar Turbines is an Excellent Company to work for.
Payroll Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA13 March 2016
Solar Turbines is a great company with an awesome culture. It offers very good benefits for employees and everyone is very friendly. In general it is a company where most employees work at until the day they retire.
Good place to have worked. Good Managers
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA1 March 2016
Had a great experience at Solar. Learned a great deal about being and Administrative Assistant. Given opportunities to work outside of the Department. Security and Procurement Card Program Administration
Solar Turbines is a great company to work for
Engineering Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA8 February 2016
At solar Turbines the work environment is excellent and i would recommend them to anyone who wants to work there. a typical work day at solar involves doing redraws and making changes to drawings and documents.
Excellent Company to work for
Field Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX6 January 2016
Learned new skills, worked well with others as a team. Lots of room for growth. Enjoyed going to work everyday and have nothing negative to report on Solar Turbines/Caterpillar Inc.
Pros
Great team work, Employees and Supervisors a pleasure to work with
Great Product
Quality Test Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA5 September 2015
If you can get a full time job here do your best to keep it. Great company who often advances hourly employees to salary positions.
They listen and address all safety concerns. When oil and gas industries are in good health overtime is easy to get. During bad economic times they pull their own teeth to keep you working. Military friendly. It's a good paying company and recognizes hard work. But it's a high paced manufacturing outfit, you have to be willing to work. It's a job!
Pros
Advancement is totally up to you and your ability seek opportunity.
Cons
Unfortunately the oil and gas business is down so no temps and temps are who they hire.