Solar Turbines

Solar Turbines Employee Reviews

Solar Turbines is an Excellent Company to work for.
Payroll Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2016
Solar Turbines is a great company with an awesome culture. It offers very good benefits for employees and everyone is very friendly. In general it is a company where most employees work at until the day they retire.
Great Product
Quality Test Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 5, 2015
If you can get a full time job here do your best to keep it. Great company who often advances hourly employees to salary positions.
They listen and address all safety concerns. When oil and gas industries are in good health overtime is easy to get. During bad economic times they pull their own teeth to keep you working. Military friendly. It's a good paying company and recognizes hard work. But it's a high paced manufacturing outfit, you have to be willing to work. It's a job!
Pros
Advancement is totally up to you and your ability seek opportunity.
Cons
Unfortunately the oil and gas business is down so no temps and temps are who they hire.
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table
Material Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2015
Great people all around with a great disposition to work and help. The company is very attentive to each employees needs and necessities. All around a great work environment.
Pros
Great people, benefits, protection, workflow.
Computer Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2016
Great Job pick your own hours to work
Great Management
Good for contract work
Worked San Diego I/2 from home
I worked as a contractor
No job security
No advancement
No Management
Grate people to work with
Pros
Pick your hours to work
Cons
No Cons
Good people
Sr. Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2016
The best thing about this place is the people.
There are some very nice people working here, the work life balance is good if not great.
When things are good everything is great. In tough times they manage difficult decisions well to position the company well.
The management below the executive level, outside of a few individuals, has a lot of stagnation.
There is very little room for growth for talented people, and they generally leave or get frustrated and collect a paycheck.
Non-merit based advancement, purely subjective.
Undervalue technology.
Pros
Nice people. Good work life balance. Products sell themselves, or used to.
Cons
Too much job security, poor management below the exceutive level.
Good place to work, good people, great experience
Structure Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 6, 2015
Loved working there. People are always willing to help or teach you.
Those that get hired have great benefits, I just had bad timing and bad economy.
Some company
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXApril 28, 2016
Unless you are old friends with the lead man, he will give you comfort and easy work....if you are are new, it doesn't matter how many + years experience you have, he will put you in the slave department.

Management was perfect before, now its a mess! I've noticed this for too long and am now saying something.

The people that work at the channelview plant don't speak much English and will do whatever to keep their jobs...god forbid you work in their area or near them, otherwise they will freak out and curse you out for thinking that you will replace them.
Pros
good experience to gain
Cons
heavy favoritism
This company is the best company I've ever worked for as a machinist. Great benefits,good management, organized, and detailed.
Machinist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2015
I operated and set-up a vertical broaching machine for the production of different turbine disks. I learned a great deal in just a short time thanks to helpful lead men, team leaders as well as fellow employees. The hardest part of the day was cutting test slots because there was a lot of climbing up and down the machine, changing cutters. The best part of the day was completing a setup and going into production, a feeling of accomplishment.
Pros
Great payand benefits
Cons
Sometimes you had to wait awhile for parking(2nd shift).
good co-workers, comfortable work enviroment
Technical Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2016
flexible hours, good training, no pressure from management. enjoyed all my co-workers. there wasn't a bad of the day for me.
Pros
very good people to work with. no stress, mobility
Cons
completely dependent on the oil & gas industry
Good people, pace, and work-life balance, but not enough accountability
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Overall review for this company is that it is a typical large company that relies on what it has succeeded with in the past. Being in such a historically lucrative yet cyclical industry, the company is a very lucrative one and has succeeded and grown. The people I work with are very easy to work alongside and there is very limited if any drama that hurts morale. People are welcoming and personable. However, there could be a little more accountability needed.
Formerly great company crumbling under middle management
Machinist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 1, 2014
As far as benefits and perks go, this is a great place to work. Unfortunately, dealing with the unfair treatment from middle management is difficult. Not all employees are treated the same across the board. If your supervisor decides that s/he doesn't like you on a personal level, it's common for that supervisor to block your advancement opportunities, send you to work in more burdensome production areas, use disciplinary action for small work errors that other employees don't get disciplined for, etc. Management frequently defies the rules and procedures laid out in the Collective Bargaining Agreement when it suits them; and Human Resources states that they are there to support Management, not hourly employees
This company has a strong history of building community among employees at all levels of the organization; but they have unfortunately stepped away from that in a big way over the past few years. Hourly employees are frequently reminded that they are easily replaced.
Pros
strong benefits package
Cons
unfair management practices; differential treatment
Good place to have worked. Good Managers
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 1, 2016
Had a great experience at Solar. Learned a great deal about being and Administrative Assistant. Given opportunities to work outside of the Department. Security and Procurement Card Program Administration
Awesome environment and people
Structures Packaging Mechanic (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA Kearny MesaAugust 24, 2015
Industrial work setting. Very big on safety, best safety culture in my opinion. Great people to work with, a lot of things to learn as well as tribal knowledge. If you are a good worker you will be recognized. Unfortunately job security isn't that great. Very good place to work if you can get in.
Pros
Friendly work environment, good work hours, parking
Cons
food from cafeteria is overpriced with bad service.
Solar Turbines is a great company to work for
Engineering Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2016
At solar Turbines the work environment is excellent and i would recommend them to anyone who wants to work there. a typical work day at solar involves doing redraws and making changes to drawings and documents.
Excellent Company to work for
Field Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Learned new skills, worked well with others as a team. Lots of room for growth. Enjoyed going to work everyday and have nothing negative to report on Solar Turbines/Caterpillar Inc.
Pros
Great team work, Employees and Supervisors a pleasure to work with
Cons
Creative and challenging job.
Structural Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 14, 2015
The management team is well organized. The job is challenging and creative due to the vast complex and customizable options available for the products. I absolutely loved working there and if there was an option to work there on the east coast I would still be with the company.
Productive workplace with strong team values, and a big eye for safety!!
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Gardena, CAMay 16, 2012
Typical day starts with me checking my first order and check machine for proper set up and messurements if order running already ect. At solar turbine i learned various machine set ups and operations, along with various messuring tools used o check and inspect parts.Management takes care of all issues from employees to machines, the emploees at solar are always looking out for one another in safety, and share their expirience to novice employees. The hardest par of my job is not having work, but the best part is watching the pars take form as their being machined by myself.
Pros
good work ethics, strong team, close to home
Cons
company has a hireing freeze, wich limits me from better pay and benefits.
A good Place to work at unless your a woman or part of the LGBT community
Turbine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  TMP Harbor Drive FacilityAugust 13, 2013
Work for Solar for nearly 30 years until I was forced out do to changes I made in my life that some coworkers disagreed with. Though its against company policy nepotism and the good ole boys club is business as usual. Always overlooked for job promotions when I was more than qualified than those that got the promotion because I was too valuable as an employee in my work area and because I wasn't one of the boys. The sorry excuse of a union is of no help either they side with the company.
Pros
good pay and benefits, plenty of o/t available
Cons
though they claim diversity and inclusion, not the case.
You got it made if you promote to Regular!
Structure Package Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2013
You will most likely hire on through Volt (a temp staffing agency).
If you are well liked by the "Regulars" , keep out of trouble and show up EVERYDAY literally, you might get lucky enough to get hired on with Solar Turbines permanently! Even as a "Temp" I worked there 7 days a week every week sometimes 10 hour days which are available Mon-Fri most of the time for "Temps". Time and a half on Saturday, double time on Sunday! I think my starting salary was around $45,000 a year(after overtime) or $15 per hour.
Pros
lots of overtime forever it seems! 365 days a year as much as you can take.
Cons
you most likely hire on as a temp employed by a shady temp agency:(
Productive workplace
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  HoustonJune 23, 2015
SOLAR is a solid company with great learning options but not much long term growth.

Good work life balance. Not many travel opportunities. Good solid management that works with you and is flexible.