Solar Turbines Employee Reviews

Assembler (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA20 July 2017
I enjoy working at this company. I work in the Downtown Headquarters in San Diego. There is many great perks of working for this company, such as family involvement, diver groups and company picnics.
Used to be better
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA18 July 2017
Solar used to be a great family orientated place to work with great perks. But slowly over the years they have gotten rid of or ruined them. So it is a place to work, but the reason to work there over another place is gone to me.
Facilities Engineer/Project Mgr
Facilities Engineer & Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA10 July 2017
People are great to work with, although things move along rather slowly at Solar Turbines. Great location along the San Diego Harbor.
Management is very cooperative and is genuine.
Tip of the Spear in Leading Technology
PLM Enterprise Business Partner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA27 June 2017
During my time working at Solar I've had the opportunity to work with some of the brightest people I have had the pleasure to work with. They encourage different view points and no one is ever shut out of a discussion to advance new ideas. They are very heavy on Windchill customizations in order to mold Windchill around the company product line of power generation and natural gas compressor pumping base on jet engine technology.
Pros
Leading edge technology with regards to Windchill and customizations
Cons
Looks to be only hiring people fresh out of school.
Solar
Enclosure assembler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA30 May 2017
Solar Turbines was a very good company to work for. During my time there I was part of at least 5 retirement parties meaning that the company has a very high retention rate. Management was fair and communicated well with all the workers. Quarterly meetings were fun and prizes were given to workers who preformed well.
Contract Employees
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA23 May 2017
This would be a 5 star company if their contract employees had the option to become permanent after a year. This is a major problem at this company!! I hope they change their ways!
Work Summary
Group Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA30 March 2017
Used to be great place to work. Not anymore. Union is taking over, people are not held accountable for their mistakes. Benefits package is getting worst. Solar becoming more CAT dependent.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Benefits are not what they used to be. Becoming average company.
excellent environement
Opérateur de production (usinage de pièces) (Former Employee) –  Gosselies28 March 2017
journée de travail agréable
manageur très sympatique
excellente entente dans le groupe
Worked there an an intern
Packaging and Systems Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA9 March 2017
The work there is good. We were provided a lot of SME's to guide us and are available to us whenever we needed help. We were given a clear project, and a lot of opportunities to reach out to different departments, allowing us to get a broader sense of the company.
AMbiente toxico
Field service representative (Former Employee) –  Ciudad del Carmen, Camp.7 March 2017
Tiene buenas cosas, pero, hay gente muy tóxica y si no estás con ellos estas en contra, con un error que cometas te creas mala fama el resto de tu estancia ahí.
Pros
prestaciones superiores a la ley
Cons
tienes que ser amigo de los jefes para poder subir
Okay
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA10 February 2017
This was an okay place to work at. It is not really friendly towards younger people. It is a conservative environment. It is a great place for people who are looking for a comfortable dependable place to work.
productive and fun workplace
Technician (Former Employee) –  Macae, BR6 February 2017
A job where very good learning.
Where I worked offshore with Maintenance of turbines and gas compressors
Industrial automation with rockwell allen bradley.

And various medical and analytical instruments.

Great place to pursue a professional career, it was a pity that the economic situation of Brazil interrupted my dream.
Pros
Carrer
Cons
Local management
Well clean and organized
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA21 January 2017
Clean well organized work place. Extremely safe. Great work experience. Lots of Friendly helpful people. Good save clean location.
all together a great company to work for
Hazardous Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA12 January 2017
A typical day at work was was checking emails, running a Waste Water Treatment Plant and Filter press unit. One of my roles was to Ensure that our equipment was working properly,Changing filters, filter press clean outs . I was also a Back up for my co-workers to a 90 day hazardous waste yard. This role was to maintain satellite areas, drum change outs, Taking daily meter readings , Inspections of secondary containments and tanks .Rain water samples, Changing filters ,Filter press sludge clean outs, scheduling shipments, inventory and ordering materials. I've learned alot from being at this company for 15yrs.. having a good work ethic , building a good rapport with people , teamwork, and multitasking . Management was great very helpful and supportive when needed. There was nothing in my position that I felt was difficult. Everyday was different but I enjoyed my job it was a job that I took pride in for 15yrs.
Pros
great benefits, good people, nice location
Learned alot at work
Sr. Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA2 January 2017
My manaement is very supportive and friendly with all the workers and encourages in all aspects.
My co-workers are very compitative and sorptive at the work
Solar Turbines
Safety Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA15 December 2016
Solar Turbines is an excellent company to work for. Plenty of leading and lagging indicators to manage EHS programs. I mainly deal with non-San Diego facilities worldwide.
Pros
Excellent safety culture. Lots of leading indicators
On Life Support
Sheetmetal Mechanic (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA17 October 2016
This company is one of the best manufacturing jobs in Southern California. Keep in mind, there are very few manufacturing jobs left in Southern California. The wages are nothing compared to the cost of living in San Diego. It used to be tempered by the benefit package and overtime availability. Over the last 5 years Caterpillar has gut the benefits and the downturn in oil prices has all but eliminated overtime. Management has been flooded with Caterpillar "rotational" employees...and they are having a terrible impact on what it used to mean to be a Solar employee. It is no longer a pleasant experience at work. It is no longer enjoyable to look forward to being there. There is a good deal of cronyism in the advancement process but lateral changes are still available. It is still a decent place to work, but I would only recommend it to a young individual who could use it to gain experience and leave to find a better opportunity.
Pros
It's stable employment
Cons
It's stagnant and in decline
Interesting work place to thrive and grow. Professional atmosphere, chapel, excercise room and medical on premises.
Sr. Computer Operator/Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA1 October 2016
Excellent place to work and thrive. Trained in Six Sigma Management and earned a Green Belt. Co-Workers are friendly and helpful. Hardest part of job includes working a mandatory 12 hour, 4 day, night-shift including week-ends. Most enjoyable part of job was working with complete autonomy during night-shift, easy parking, and a chapel on premises.
Pros
Large cafeteria, benefits, excercise room, high level classes, location.
Cons
Not much room for advancement in computer room.
Houston Office is NOT a Good Place to Work
Former Houston employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, Texas Office29 September 2016
Management here is delusional when it comes to what's fair and reasonable. They rule with military-like tactics and refuse to budge one iota when it comes to listening to employees, UNLESS you are one of the "Golden Employees". If you lucky enough to be one of the chosen few, you can then write your own rules.

There are extreme levels of inequity in the Houston office because what's good for the gander is out of the question for the goose. It is definitely NOT fun to work for this company.
Pros
Cons
Totally inequitable, Military-like atmosphere and culture
Lots of changes
Business Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA14 September 2016
the oil and gas market controls this company, with the oil market roller coaster there has been many significant changes at this company. a lot of restructuring and re orginazations, some good some bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Solar Turbines. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval