Softmoc

Softmoc Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Softmoc is the worst in retail.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 16, 2014
Pros: great discount for yourself and friends/family, great selection of shoes, in store co-workers are awesome.
Cons: negative corporate culture, poor compensation, poor senior management
SoftMoc off the bat seems like a great place to work, friendly staff in stores, awesome product to sell, you learn a great knowledge about shoes and other shoe products. They're a fast growing retailer and from the outside in, seems like a great place to work. This is far from the case.

SoftMoc's corporate culture is extremely negative.
Recently the – more... implementation of a customer survey program has seen managers being given written warnings for customers deciding not to do the surveys and the company provides zero incentive to customers to do these. Store level staff are disciplined for not being able to sell shoe care products like cleaners and sprays, no matter how high your sales are. Despite strong sales performance, Softmoc insists you are not good enough.

The company mission is lost.
District and store managers want staff to focus on in store customers, yet customer service demands disregard of customers to send out website orders. If you don't comply, they harass you with messages and phone calls, instructing you to comply, even though they're not your boss.

Communication is extremely poor.
Store level employees receive no memos of policy changes which can cause chaos when issues arises, and customers blame the in store staff, and complain, which we are then blamed.

All power is reserved at head office.
Store management are not allowed to make any exception to rules, but the customer service department is, and they abuse it. This makes store staff look stupid for upholding policy.

Compensation is very poor for the what is expected by the staff,
Softmoc pays below minimum wage with promise of commissions to exceed and make more (if below minimum wage is made you are bumped). Unless you work at a very high volume store, management makes very low wages but are expected to do the job of a sales person, staff supervisor, stock person (shipping and receiving), merchandiser, handle all customer service issues, order processor, and anything else asked by senior management. They also demand overtime during the holiday seasons, and overtime is based off a $7.25 base as oppose to minimum wage. Furthermore, they do not increase base based on cost of living increases or increases in minimum wage.

Softmoc uses store staff as scapegoats for all their problems. No matter what department or what issue. – less
Do NOT work here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), OttawaMarch 29, 2014
Pros: paid breaks
Cons: pay, hours, lack of training, high stress
Working here was an awful experience! I worked for the company almost 6 years. I was an assistant manager for 4 years and then a store manager for 2 years.
The lack of training is unbelievable and the pay? forget about it!
as a regular sales associate you will be paid WELL UNDER minimum wage - because they say you can make lots of commission. As as – more... store manager I made 0.50 cents above minimum wage. It was a joke!
You are forced to work two 12 hour shifts per week, you do not get paid vacation and you are supposed to be super hero's who never get sick, and even if you are vomiting, you are expected to come in to work.
As a manager, you are given enough hours for yourself and your assistant, then you get 15 hours to split between 7 part time staff, where everyone gets upset because you are supposed to offer the part timers up to 30 hours a week. You will be lucky if you get 17.
The only full time guaranteed 40 hours is the store manager and the assistant manager.
Do yourself a favor and do not waste your time. – less

18lpf7qujak4gb6q – April 17, 2014

I agree! 100% experienced it first hand worst place to work ever

18lpf7qujak4gb6q – April 20, 2014

I also agree. I wish people would take a warning. Softmoc was one of the worst jobs I ever had. The pay is HORRIBLE.

Management Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: breaks and lunches, booking time off.
Cons: store management had to be more assertive, was worried about other things then the customer
- Gained experience controlling staff and working with all of them to maintain balance within the store.
-looking out for all staff members; when staff required time off at a moments notice or was seeking more hrs, I did everything in my power to accommodate these requests.
-Controlling the stock room was interesting as stock was being received in numerous – more... amounts with little space to store them. – less
It was a fun place to work until it wasn't fun anymore
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 14, 2014
It is retail, it could be busy or it could be really quiet, but I always enjoyed going to work. It paid less than minimum wage, the commission was only good if you were making frequent sales, and there wasn't any real chance for advancement, but I always had a good time. I enjoyed the one on one interaction with the customers and succeeding in helping – more... them find exactly what they were looking for. I don't want to sound bitter because we worked as a team, we were a team, we helped to boost each others sales and commissions. This was the kind of team that talked constantly behind each others backs. A person can only handle high school politics for so long. – less
Ensure every customer receives exemplary customer service
Sale associate/ keyholder (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2013
Assist customers with wardrobe styling and comfortable with sharing up to date fashion knowledge
No advancement poor hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 21, 2013
Pros: amazing discount
Cons: lack of respect of labor laws
You arrive early check price changes open the store, do onlines dust and serve customers.
I learned patience and how to stand my ground.
I would rather not comment on management.
or the coworkers for that matter.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours but sparse days and lack of advancement.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people – more... I love people and making them feel good about themselves and there purchase. – less
Demanding job
Store Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 19, 2013
Great place to learn the ropes as a manager. However, the pay during slower parts of the year is dismal and managers do not get a fair amount of time off (weekends, holidays, etc...)
Soft Moc
Stock Person (Former Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: employment
Cons: not enough hours
I am on a On-Call basis.
When I am at work, I receive boxes from different courier services. I match the packing slips with the contents of the box. Prepare the stock for display. The staff and manager are great to work with and show me what other jobs need to be done within the shoe store.
Fun and energetic work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Dieppe, NBFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: good location
Cons: not enough hours
I sell shoes on a regular basis. I've learned to step out of my shell and help customers find what they need. The hardest part of the job is not having everything up to date, so you don't know what's really in stock. The most enjoyable part is meeting all the customers.
Awful workplace that doesn't abide by labour laws
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: not overly challenging, great coworkers, commission based, fantastic customers
Cons: poor management, does not abide by labour laws
I'm not the kind of person who would post their grievances on the web but I feel as though future employees should know what they are getting themselves into. I worked at softmoc for 3 months as a part time employee to earn some extra cash. The discount was great but the management was poor. I was not trained properly in the beginning and sugget that – more... the company put more emphasis on a training program. Second my boss was constantly bragging about his "top sellers" but never acknowledged that even as a part time staff I sold just as well as they did, and even in some situations was guilted into giving up some of my commission. After a few weeks I was taken off the formal schedule and my boss just started penciling in when I was working last minute, a lot of the time outside my availability. The hat on top of the unprofessional sundae would be the fact that I was never paid. After 3 months of employment I have still not received a penny of my wages from softmoc. Regardless I still believe that softmoc would be an incredible place to work, just the particular location I worked at was managed by an incredibly emotional and unprofessional manager. Besides that great coworkers and fantastic customers. – less
Amazing place
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 10, 2012
I enjoyed working at softmoc. They were flexible with my schedual and tought me a lot