Softmoc Employee Reviews

A friendly work environment, which thrives in assuring customers walk out the door happy with there purchase and service we provided.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 6, 2015
It is a wonderful place to work, everyone is friendly yet efficient in there work. Great benefits and you always learn something cool about the sales industry. you are able to grow and hone your skills as a sales person.
Pros
commision+discounts
Cons
undefined work hours (you will work any time of day any day depending on the schedule)
Store run by inexperienced 20 year olds
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 24, 2016
I worked at Softmoc for two months as a part-time employee.

The store is managed by one manager and two assistant managers, two of which do not have enough experience to properly train others. I have over a decade in retail experience, all of which I left with glowing references, and was treated by a 20-year-old assistant manager as though I had never worked a job before.

The hours were flexible and there was lots of opportunity for commission and bonuses, but the base rate ($7/hour) made it difficult to make much more above minimum wage in a part-time setting.

The manager and one assistant manager recently made homophobic and body-shaming remarks towards me, which I stood up to and know that lead to my dismissal.
Pros
commission, flexible hours
Cons
homophobia, lack of experienced senior staff
Productive and fun environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 26, 2016
It was an awesome company to work for if I could back I would, the brand's of shoes are nice and wonderful, super comfy and pretty affordable. I wouldn't go back due to my position of key holder being taken for another employee who only started work 2 weeks before it being given away, and the low pay but that can be compromised with the commission but either way I wouldn't do it again the hours weren't to ideal for a parent. I myself barely saw my child. even with working an 11 hour day the one day I didn't get over time even though I was only part time
Pros
Great co-workers, an awesome manager, easy but hardwork
Cons
Hours, and pay.
Good environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 19, 2016
typical day at work is helping customers.
Dealing with a lot of customers taught me that people have all kind of attitude, long patience is needed.
The management is very good, they give good hours and a raise every 3 months, and of course the best manager.
The coworkers are nice, some works hard some do not.
Hardest part is when the store is short staff.
Enjoyable part are the events like Christmas party, new year's eve dinner.
Pros
40 percent discount
Cons
The 40% discount is only for me.
Good discounts, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 9, 2016
My manager and district manager were best friends, so nothing was ever changeable when it came to the managers poor attitude and work ethic.
There's room to make more than minimum wage if you're a shoe sales god. (commission). And the company is constantly asking their customers for reviews, which is both good and bad. The top reviews got rewarded by head office with gift cards, bad reviews basically got a slap on the wrist.
Otherwise, typical retail.
Pros
commission, discounts
Cons
management, hours
Fast-paced, positive work environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2016
A typical day at Softmoc includes employees enjoying a relaxed environment, where we can attend work and know we are in a safe place. It also includes fast-paced rushes, requiring sales associates to treat customers with their most attentive attitudes. I have learned a great deal about how to properly greet customers, provide them with assistance, and ensure they are receiving the best service possible. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with the odd, ill-mannered customer. However, if you continue to treat them kindly, then you know at the end of the day you took all of your power to still treat them with respect. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know your co-workers, and enjoying the variety of customers that come in on a daily basis. I learn a great deal of life-skills from customer experiences, and it greatly pays off when the customer gives you a great customer review at the end of the day. This job has been very rewarding for me, and has taught me many life skills that I will be able to continue to use in all future employment opportunities.
Very close family-like working experience
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 14, 2016
Once you get to know everyone at the company its like we are all family. everyone remembers who you are and everything. they run their company kind of wrong by not allowing managers to get raises and not allowing anyone to get benefits. plus the wages are quite low. they also expect managers to work all of december, ever day, for at least 12 hours a day.
Pros
commission based
Cons
long hours, no raises, cant live off of income
Typical day at work would be meeting your goal for the day of example.. 500$ a day. Help customers with sizes and styles.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 27, 2016
Management could have been better. Everything i did at Softmoc, i have done in my previous jobs at Footlocker and Sportschek.
The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing previous customers coming back for the great customer service.
Excellent work environment, and a great place to form work relationships
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJuly 20, 2016
I had such a wonderful time working in the Softmoc company. All my co-workers were accepting and fun to work with. The management was easy to work with and trained their employees very well. I never felt nervous going to work when I was there.
Horrible management
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
hours missing from pay checks, management treated us un humanly, when management changed favouritism started because they were related so the hours got cut drastically.
Pros
payed brakes
The cheapest company to work for
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MississaugaMay 5, 2015
softmoc is the cheapest company to work for. as far as being a assistant manager you get paid minimum wage with NO benefits!
Pros
absolutely nothong
Cons
30 min break for a 9 hour shift, minimum wage for assistant manger and lower (key holder, sales associate)
Kind Coworkers, not the best company.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCDecember 28, 2015
Everyone that work with are kind and fun, but the company is not the best. You only get paid $7.75 an hour and then you get "commission" which isn't really commission at all. A couple days I worked I wasn't allowed to have my break (I work 8 hour+ shifts).
Lots of hours, almost too much
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSNovember 13, 2015
I worked as an assistant manager, and worked about 50-55 hours a week on the off season, despite being told i'd work 35-40. the store was severely understaffed and super disorganized. There is no HR dept, and it shows with the way you are treated by upper management. No one cares, and its every man for himself.
not fun
Sales Associate / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
worked late night
no graditude
no respect \
worked every saturday \
long drive to work
hard on feet and legs
lots of climbing of ladders
very disorganized
Pros
customers
Cons
no respect
very stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 14, 2015
i worked long hours with little staff. i did enjoy helping customers and meeting new people and learning to ship and recieve orders online.
It was a fun place to work until it wasn't fun anymore
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 14, 2014
It is retail, it could be busy or it could be really quiet, but I always enjoyed going to work. It paid less than minimum wage, the commission was only good if you were making frequent sales, and there wasn't any real chance for advancement, but I always had a good time. I enjoyed the one on one interaction with the customers and succeeding in helping them find exactly what they were looking for. I don't want to sound bitter because we worked as a team, we were a team, we helped to boost each others sales and commissions. This was the kind of team that talked constantly behind each others backs. A person can only handle high school politics for so long.
Softmoc is the worst in retail.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 16, 2014
SoftMoc off the bat seems like a great place to work, friendly staff in stores, awesome product to sell, you learn a great knowledge about shoes and other shoe products. They're a fast growing retailer and from the outside in, seems like a great place to work. This is far from the case.

SoftMoc's corporate culture is extremely negative.
Recently the implementation of a customer survey program has seen managers being given written warnings for customers deciding not to do the surveys and the company provides zero incentive to customers to do these. Store level staff are disciplined for not being able to sell shoe care products like cleaners and sprays, no matter how high your sales are. Despite strong sales performance, Softmoc insists you are not good enough.

The company mission is lost.
District and store managers want staff to focus on in store customers, yet customer service demands disregard of customers to send out website orders. If you don't comply, they harass you with messages and phone calls, instructing you to comply, even though they're not your boss.

Communication is extremely poor.
Store level employees receive no memos of policy changes which can cause chaos when issues arises, and customers blame the in store staff, and complain, which we are then blamed.

All power is reserved at head office.
Store management are not allowed to make any exception to rules, but the customer service department is, and they abuse it. This makes store staff look stupid for upholding policy.

Compensation is very poor for the what is expected by the staff,
Softmoc pays below minimum
  more... wage with promise of commissions to exceed and make more (if below minimum wage is made you are bumped). Unless you work at a very high volume store, management makes very low wages but are expected to do the job of a sales person, staff supervisor, stock person (shipping and receiving), merchandiser, handle all customer service issues, order processor, and anything else asked by senior management. They also demand overtime during the holiday seasons, and overtime is based off a $7.25 base as oppose to minimum wage. Furthermore, they do not increase base based on cost of living increases or increases in minimum wage.

Softmoc uses store staff as scapegoats for all their problems. No matter what department or what issue.
Pros
great discount for yourself and friends/family, great selection of shoes, in store co-workers are awesome.
Cons
negative corporate culture, poor compensation, poor senior management
worst job ever
employee (Former Employee) –  pickeribgJuly 19, 2014
it was an okay job at first but Once you show that you are a good worker they expect way to much from you. they will also write you up for being late at any point even you explain to them that you take public transit to get there. they say they don't care. pathetic company.
Pros
none really
Cons
long hours, horrible staff and management, unpaid breaks, no time off
Fun workplace with amazing people
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 31, 2014
A typical morning would consist of possibly opening the store on my own, checking for price changes and making sure they are done before store hours, checking online orders, and making sure the store was in perfect condition. During the day I would greet and assist customers, maintain a high visual standard for the store, direct and lead the team of sales associates, dealing with customer service issues, and complete online orders. I would as well possible close the store. I learned how to be a strong leader with this position. As for the management in my opinion I felt as though the head management (above store manager, such as District Management) weren't very organized, making choices that I feel weren't benefiting the company. The people I worked with in the store were amazing, we had a great team and worked well together while enjoying each others company. Making sure the store remained in perfect visual standards during the busy days such as black Friday were a challenge but we managed to get through it successfully. Overall working at SoftMoc was an enjoyable experience.
Do NOT work here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OttawaMarch 29, 2014
Working here was an awful experience! I worked for the company almost 6 years. I was an assistant manager for 4 years and then a store manager for 2 years.
The lack of training is unbelievable and the pay? forget about it!
as a regular sales associate you will be paid WELL UNDER minimum wage - because they say you can make lots of commission. As as store manager I made 0.50 cents above minimum wage. It was a joke!
You are forced to work two 12 hour shifts per week, you do not get paid vacation and you are supposed to be super hero's who never get sick, and even if you are vomiting, you are expected to come in to work.
As a manager, you are given enough hours for yourself and your assistant, then you get 15 hours to split between 7 part time staff, where everyone gets upset because you are supposed to offer the part timers up to 30 hours a week. You will be lucky if you get 17.
The only full time guaranteed 40 hours is the store manager and the assistant manager.
Do yourself a favor and do not waste your time.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
pay, hours, lack of training, high stress

Comment – April 17, 2014

I agree! 100% experienced it first hand worst place to work ever

Comment – April 20, 2014

I also agree. I wish people would take a warning. Softmoc was one of the worst jobs I ever had. The pay is HORRIBLE.

2.4