Softmoc Employee Reviews in Canada

Good discounts, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 9, 2016
My manager and district manager were best friends, so nothing was ever changeable when it came to the managers poor attitude and work ethic.
There's room to make more than minimum wage if you're a shoe sales god. (commission). And the company is constantly asking their customers for reviews, which is both good and bad. The top reviews got rewarded by head office with gift cards, bad reviews basically got a slap on the wrist.
Otherwise, typical retail.
Pros
commission, discounts
Cons
management, hours
Store run by inexperienced 20 year olds
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 24, 2016
I worked at Softmoc for two months as a part-time employee.

The store is managed by one manager and two assistant managers, two of which do not have enough experience to properly train others. I have over a decade in retail experience, all of which I left with glowing references, and was treated by a 20-year-old assistant manager as though I had never worked a job before.

The hours were flexible and there was lots of opportunity for commission and bonuses, but the base rate ($7/hour) made it difficult to make much more above minimum wage in a part-time setting.

The manager and one assistant manager recently made homophobic and body-shaming remarks towards me, which I stood up to and know that lead to my dismissal.
Pros
commission, flexible hours
Cons
homophobia, lack of experienced senior staff
Excellent work environment, and a great place to form work relationships
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJuly 20, 2016
I had such a wonderful time working in the Softmoc company. All my co-workers were accepting and fun to work with. The management was easy to work with and trained their employees very well. I never felt nervous going to work when I was there.
Fast-paced, positive work environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2016
A typical day at Softmoc includes employees enjoying a relaxed environment, where we can attend work and know we are in a safe place. It also includes fast-paced rushes, requiring sales associates to treat customers with their most attentive attitudes. I have learned a great deal about how to properly greet customers, provide them with assistance, and ensure they are receiving the best service possible. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with the odd, ill-mannered customer. However, if you continue to treat them kindly, then you know at the end of the day you took all of your power to still treat them with respect. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know your co-workers, and enjoying the variety of customers that come in on a daily basis. I learn a great deal of life-skills from customer experiences, and it greatly pays off when the customer gives you a great customer review at the end of the day. This job has been very rewarding for me, and has taught me many life skills that I will be able to continue to use in all future employment opportunities.
A friendly work environment, which thrives in assuring customers walk out the door happy with there purchase and service we provided.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 6, 2015
It is a wonderful place to work, everyone is friendly yet efficient in there work. Great benefits and you always learn something cool about the sales industry. you are able to grow and hone your skills as a sales person.
Pros
commision+discounts
Cons
undefined work hours (you will work any time of day any day depending on the schedule)
Kind Coworkers, not the best company.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCDecember 28, 2015
Everyone that work with are kind and fun, but the company is not the best. You only get paid $7.75 an hour and then you get "commission" which isn't really commission at all. A couple days I worked I wasn't allowed to have my break (I work 8 hour+ shifts).
Lots of hours, almost too much
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSNovember 13, 2015
I worked as an assistant manager, and worked about 50-55 hours a week on the off season, despite being told i'd work 35-40. the store was severely understaffed and super disorganized. There is no HR dept, and it shows with the way you are treated by upper management. No one cares, and its every man for himself.
not fun
Sales Associate / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
worked late night
no graditude
no respect \
worked every saturday \
long drive to work
hard on feet and legs
lots of climbing of ladders
very disorganized
Pros
customers
Cons
no respect
very stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 14, 2015
i worked long hours with little staff. i did enjoy helping customers and meeting new people and learning to ship and recieve orders online.
The cheapest company to work for
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MississaugaMay 5, 2015
softmoc is the cheapest company to work for. as far as being a assistant manager you get paid minimum wage with NO benefits!
Pros
absolutely nothong
Cons
30 min break for a 9 hour shift, minimum wage for assistant manger and lower (key holder, sales associate)
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan OntarioMarch 25, 2015
* Always fun and exciting
* I learned how to be a good sales person and how to work well with customers and help them find what they need to the best of my ability.
*Always made sure a customer left happy and found what they were looking for.
Negative work environment.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMay 12, 2015
There was a lot of negativitiy, and no confidentiality. The customers were great. Breaks were hit and miss due to some of the store rules.
Pros
the customers
Cons
no breaks.
Cool work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioSeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work is simply assisting customers, answering questions, handling cash, answering phone calls, multi tasking. It's very laid back and straight forward. There's a lot I learned from Softmoc that is just kind of everyday life experiences. Not everyone is going to be the easiest customer to handle, you just need to know how to handle the situation. I had the privilege to work with some of the best co-workers I could ever imagine, they really were like family to me and made me look forward going into to work each and every shift.
Pros
working with amazing people
Cons
not enough hours
CSR Position advancement to ASM
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
Poor management near the end of my run here. Job hours are never secure and I had left for school reasons and upon reasons was let go.
Pros
Co workers
Management Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2014
- Gained experience controlling staff and working with all of them to maintain balance within the store.
-looking out for all staff members; when staff required time off at a moments notice or was seeking more hrs, I did everything in my power to accommodate these requests.
-Controlling the stock room was interesting as stock was being received in numerous amounts with little space to store them.
Pros
breaks and lunches, booking time off.
Cons
store management had to be more assertive, was worried about other things then the customer
It was a fun place to work until it wasn't fun anymore
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 14, 2014
It is retail, it could be busy or it could be really quiet, but I always enjoyed going to work. It paid less than minimum wage, the commission was only good if you were making frequent sales, and there wasn't any real chance for advancement, but I always had a good time. I enjoyed the one on one interaction with the customers and succeeding in helping them find exactly what they were looking for. I don't want to sound bitter because we worked as a team, we were a team, we helped to boost each others sales and commissions. This was the kind of team that talked constantly behind each others backs. A person can only handle high school politics for so long.
No advancement poor hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 21, 2013
You arrive early check price changes open the store, do onlines dust and serve customers.
I learned patience and how to stand my ground.
I would rather not comment on management.
or the coworkers for that matter.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours but sparse days and lack of advancement.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people I love people and making them feel good about themselves and there purchase.
Pros
amazing discount
Cons
lack of respect of labor laws
worst job ever
employee (Former Employee) –  pickeribgJuly 19, 2014
it was an okay job at first but Once you show that you are a good worker they expect way to much from you. they will also write you up for being late at any point even you explain to them that you take public transit to get there. they say they don't care. pathetic company.
Pros
none really
Cons
long hours, horrible staff and management, unpaid breaks, no time off
wonderful staff make working a lot easier
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 20, 2015
open boxes for stalk
organize stalk for easy access to shoes for customers
help customers with questions and sizing
cash - checking out and bagging c
Pros
discount on shoes
Soft Moc
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 6, 2013
I am on a On-Call basis.
When I am at work, I receive boxes from different courier services. I match the packing slips with the contents of the box. Prepare the stock for display. The staff and manager are great to work with and show me what other jobs need to be done within the shoe store.
Pros
employment
Cons
not enough hours

2.3