Softmoc Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent work environment, and a great place to form work relationships
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJuly 20, 2016
I had such a wonderful time working in the Softmoc company. All my co-workers were accepting and fun to work with. The management was easy to work with and trained their employees very well. I never felt nervous going to work when I was there.
Store run by inexperienced 20 year olds
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 24, 2016
I worked at Softmoc for two months as a part-time employee.

The store is managed by one manager and two assistant managers, two of which do not have enough experience to properly train others. I have over a decade in retail experience, all of which I left with glowing references, and was treated by a 20-year-old assistant manager as though I had never worked a job before.

The hours were flexible and there was lots of opportunity for commission and bonuses, but the base rate ($7/hour) made it difficult to make much more above minimum wage in a part-time setting.

The manager and one assistant manager recently made homophobic and body-shaming remarks towards me, which I stood up to and know that lead to my dismissal.
Pros
commission, flexible hours
Cons
homophobia, lack of experienced senior staff
Good discounts, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 9, 2016
My manager and district manager were best friends, so nothing was ever changeable when it came to the managers poor attitude and work ethic.
There's room to make more than minimum wage if you're a shoe sales god. (commission). And the company is constantly asking their customers for reviews, which is both good and bad. The top reviews got rewarded by head office with gift cards, bad reviews basically got a slap on the wrist.
Otherwise, typical retail.
Pros
commission, discounts
Cons
management, hours
Fast-paced, positive work environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2016
A typical day at Softmoc includes employees enjoying a relaxed environment, where we can attend work and know we are in a safe place. It also includes fast-paced rushes, requiring sales associates to treat customers with their most attentive attitudes. I have learned a great deal about how to properly greet customers, provide them with assistance, and ensure they are receiving the best service possible. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with the odd, ill-mannered customer. However, if you continue to treat them kindly, then you know at the end of the day you took all of your power to still treat them with respect. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know your co-workers, and enjoying the variety of customers that come in on a daily basis. I learn a great deal of life-skills from customer experiences, and it greatly pays off when the customer gives you a great customer review at the end of the day. This job has been very rewarding for me, and has taught me many life skills that I will be able to continue to use in all future employment opportunities.
Kind Coworkers, not the best company.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCDecember 28, 2015
Everyone that work with are kind and fun, but the company is not the best. You only get paid $7.75 an hour and then you get "commission" which isn't really commission at all. A couple days I worked I wasn't allowed to have my break (I work 8 hour+ shifts).
Lots of hours, almost too much
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSNovember 13, 2015
I worked as an assistant manager, and worked about 50-55 hours a week on the off season, despite being told i'd work 35-40. the store was severely understaffed and super disorganized. There is no HR dept, and it shows with the way you are treated by upper management. No one cares, and its every man for himself.
not fun
Sales Associate / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
worked late night
no graditude
no respect \
worked every saturday \
long drive to work
hard on feet and legs
lots of climbing of ladders
very disorganized
Pros
customers
Cons
no respect
A friendly work environment, which thrives in assuring customers walk out the door happy with there purchase and service we provided.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 6, 2015
It is a wonderful place to work, everyone is friendly yet efficient in there work. Great benefits and you always learn something cool about the sales industry. you are able to grow and hone your skills as a sales person.
Pros
commision+discounts
Cons
undefined work hours (you will work any time of day any day depending on the schedule)
very stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 14, 2015
i worked long hours with little staff. i did enjoy helping customers and meeting new people and learning to ship and recieve orders online.
Easy-going workplace with tremendous staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMay 15, 2015
Softmoc's commission base allows for a schedule where employees are required to work on their own for hours at a time. Although this allows for great growth in independence for the employee as well as allows them to make more commission per hour, it creates a workplace where the employee is not considerably available to their customers during busy periods and decreases the amount of assistance the employee can provide to their customers. While this increases the wait time as the single employee is having to give their attention to several customers at a time, the rushed atmosphere increases the number of mistakes that can occur, allows the store to become increasingly messy and lowers the patience of many customers needing immediate assistance. This would most likely be the hardest part about working at Softmoc at that any employee will have to deal with.
On a typical day, Softmoc is incredibly easy going. Coworkers are always available for assistance and managers are extremely friendly and understanding, creating a very comfortable, family-like atmosphere for all employees. Cooperative thinking is used to solve any discrepancies and all employees are reminded that mistakes are ways to learn and are then taught how to do the job correctly. Discounts on products are amazing and the store itself is incredibly easy to maintain and manage.
Pros
great discount on products
Cons
low hourly wages
CSR Position advancement to ASM
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
Poor management near the end of my run here. Job hours are never secure and I had left for school reasons and upon reasons was let go.
Pros
Co workers
Negative work environment.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMay 12, 2015
There was a lot of negativitiy, and no confidentiality. The customers were great. Breaks were hit and miss due to some of the store rules.
Pros
the customers
Cons
no breaks.
The cheapest company to work for
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MississaugaMay 5, 2015
softmoc is the cheapest company to work for. as far as being a assistant manager you get paid minimum wage with NO benefits!
Pros
absolutely nothong
Cons
30 min break for a 9 hour shift, minimum wage for assistant manger and lower (key holder, sales associate)
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan OntarioMarch 25, 2015
* Always fun and exciting
* I learned how to be a good sales person and how to work well with customers and help them find what they need to the best of my ability.
*Always made sure a customer left happy and found what they were looking for.
wonderful staff make working a lot easier
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 20, 2015
open boxes for stalk
organize stalk for easy access to shoes for customers
help customers with questions and sizing
cash - checking out and bagging c
Pros
discount on shoes
Very Fast paced work enviorment
Assistant Manager/ Stylist (Current Employee) –  markville mallJanuary 20, 2015
-A lot of work load for management to take on for hourly minimum wage!

-A lot of experience in many areas achieved from this job.
Friendly and respectable
Sales associate - Part- time (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Softmoc was a great place to work at. Everyone was nice and it was fun!
Fun workplace with amazing people
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 31, 2014
A typical morning would consist of possibly opening the store on my own, checking for price changes and making sure they are done before store hours, checking online orders, and making sure the store was in perfect condition. During the day I would greet and assist customers, maintain a high visual standard for the store, direct and lead the team of sales associates, dealing with customer service issues, and complete online orders. I would as well possible close the store. I learned how to be a strong leader with this position. As for the management in my opinion I felt as though the head management (above store manager, such as District Management) weren't very organized, making choices that I feel weren't benefiting the company. The people I worked with in the store were amazing, we had a great team and worked well together while enjoying each others company. Making sure the store remained in perfect visual standards during the busy days such as black Friday were a challenge but we managed to get through it successfully. Overall working at SoftMoc was an enjoyable experience.
Comfortable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONNovember 12, 2014
Working at softmoc was an enjoyable experience, the employees were friendly and were always able to help with the learning process to get into things and have a better understanding.
Stressfull
Shift Leader Retail (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 22, 2014
Working in retail is very fast paced and entails the ability to multitask

2.3