Softmoc Employee Reviews

Very close family-like working experience
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2016
Once you get to know everyone at the company its like we are all family. everyone remembers who you are and everything. they run their company kind of wrong by not allowing managers to get raises and not allowing anyone to get benefits. plus the wages are quite low. they also expect managers to work all of december, ever day, for at least 12 hours a day.
Pros
commission based
Cons
long hours, no raises, cant live off of income
Enjoyable work enviornment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON15 January 2017
Love working here, great benefits, management very understanding with school priorities. Safe work environment. Job at times can be difficult with unhappy people (rude people who swear at you because the computer did not round to the nearest cent). Best part of the job is the discount on shoes!!!
Good environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 August 2016
typical day at work is helping customers.
Dealing with a lot of customers taught me that people have all kind of attitude, long patience is needed.
The management is very good, they give good hours and a raise every 3 months, and of course the best manager.
The coworkers are nice, some works hard some do not.
Hardest part is when the store is short staff.
Enjoyable part are the events like Christmas party, new year's eve dinner.
Pros
40 percent discount
Cons
The 40% discount is only for me.
Was not the ideal place to work
Sales Associate / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
I was an assistant Manager but was never very happy as I felt I was always doing something wrong
I would clean out the store room just to find it a mess the next day
I loved helping the customers
My co workers were all very clicky
I really felt out of place
Pros
meet new people
Cons
long hours, No time off
SoftMoc was a great place to gain more experience working along other as well as with customers.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 November 2016
SoftMoc gave me the opporunity to work with others and with customers as they came in. I was also able to gain knowledge about the tasks of a manager by being given more responsiblilty wiith the closing of the store at the end of the day. Tasks such as making money deposits and filing the paper work for the nightly deposits.
Pros
Worked on commission, was given a lot of hours.
Cons
Was at times hard to balance with my other job and have a life outside of work.
horrible, flat out horrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2016
the manager at the kingsway garden mall location is nothing more than the scum on the bottom of my shoe. hes pathetic. hes also the biggest bully ive ever met. so childish and hes supposed to be a grown man.
Pros
nothing honestly
Cons
early and late hours, bad management, low pay.
Productive and fun environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK26 August 2016
It was an awesome company to work for if I could back I would, the brand's of shoes are nice and wonderful, super comfy and pretty affordable. I wouldn't go back due to my position of key holder being taken for another employee who only started work 2 weeks before it being given away, and the low pay but that can be compromised with the commission but either way I wouldn't do it again the hours weren't to ideal for a parent. I myself barely saw my child. even with working an 11 hour day the one day I didn't get over time even though I was only part time
Pros
Great co-workers, an awesome manager, easy but hardwork
Cons
Hours, and pay.
Needs improvement
Customer Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 December 2016
its okay, could be better, needs improvement, and just more management skills needs to be improved there. I didn't enjoy working there.
Typical day at work would be meeting your goal for the day of example.. 500$ a day. Help customers with sizes and styles.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 August 2016
Management could have been better. Everything i did at Softmoc, i have done in my previous jobs at Footlocker and Sportschek.
The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing previous customers coming back for the great customer service.
Store run by inexperienced 20 year olds
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 June 2016
I worked at Softmoc for two months as a part-time employee.

The store is managed by one manager and two assistant managers, two of which do not have enough experience to properly train others. I have over a decade in retail experience, all of which I left with glowing references, and was treated by a 20-year-old assistant manager as though I had never worked a job before.

The hours were flexible and there was lots of opportunity for commission and bonuses, but the base rate ($7/hour) made it difficult to make much more above minimum wage in a part-time setting.

The manager and one assistant manager recently made homophobic and body-shaming remarks towards me, which I stood up to and know that lead to my dismissal.
Pros
commission, flexible hours
Cons
homophobia, lack of experienced senior staff
Productive work place
Assistant Manger (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC24 January 2017
Being an assistant manager made me do most of the organization for the back store. I had to sent out inventory to other stores and customer orders and take care of the day to day account tasks
Pros
40% off shoes for employees
Cons
30 min lunches
Horrible management
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
hours missing from pay checks, management treated us un humanly, when management changed favouritism started because they were related so the hours got cut drastically.
Pros
payed brakes
Productive workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2017
Working at SoftMoc is a good workplace. You learn about shoes, and you get to greet customers in a polite manner. Everyone is always positive and outgoing.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Far distance
Good discounts, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC9 June 2016
My manager and district manager were best friends, so nothing was ever changeable when it came to the managers poor attitude and work ethic.
There's room to make more than minimum wage if you're a shoe sales god. (commission). And the company is constantly asking their customers for reviews, which is both good and bad. The top reviews got rewarded by head office with gift cards, bad reviews basically got a slap on the wrist.
Otherwise, typical retail.
Pros
commission, discounts
Cons
management, hours
A friendly work environment, which thrives in assuring customers walk out the door happy with there purchase and service we provided.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 November 2015
It is a wonderful place to work, everyone is friendly yet efficient in there work. Great benefits and you always learn something cool about the sales industry. you are able to grow and hone your skills as a sales person.
Pros
commision+discounts
Cons
undefined work hours (you will work any time of day any day depending on the schedule)
Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON28 January 2017
I love working at softmoc. It is a great environment. The only thing I am not huge on is the lack of hours that come after the holiday season.
Excellent work environment, and a great place to form work relationships
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 July 2016
I had such a wonderful time working in the Softmoc company. All my co-workers were accepting and fun to work with. The management was easy to work with and trained their employees very well. I never felt nervous going to work when I was there.
Fast-paced, positive work environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 May 2016
A typical day at Softmoc includes employees enjoying a relaxed environment, where we can attend work and know we are in a safe place. It also includes fast-paced rushes, requiring sales associates to treat customers with their most attentive attitudes. I have learned a great deal about how to properly greet customers, provide them with assistance, and ensure they are receiving the best service possible. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with the odd, ill-mannered customer. However, if you continue to treat them kindly, then you know at the end of the day you took all of your power to still treat them with respect. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know your co-workers, and enjoying the variety of customers that come in on a daily basis. I learn a great deal of life-skills from customer experiences, and it greatly pays off when the customer gives you a great customer review at the end of the day. This job has been very rewarding for me, and has taught me many life skills that I will be able to continue to use in all future employment opportunities.
The cheapest company to work for
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga5 May 2015
softmoc is the cheapest company to work for. as far as being a assistant manager you get paid minimum wage with NO benefits!
Pros
absolutely nothong
Cons
30 min break for a 9 hour shift, minimum wage for assistant manger and lower (key holder, sales associate)
No advancement poor hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2013
You arrive early check price changes open the store, do onlines dust and serve customers.
I learned patience and how to stand my ground.
I would rather not comment on management.
or the coworkers for that matter.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours but sparse days and lack of advancement.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people I love people and making them feel good about themselves and there purchase.
Pros
Amazing discount
Cons
lack of respect of labor laws

2.5