Softmoc Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast-paced, positive work environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2016
A typical day at Softmoc includes employees enjoying a relaxed environment, where we can attend work and know we are in a safe place. It also includes fast-paced rushes, requiring sales associates to treat customers with their most attentive attitudes. I have learned a great deal about how to properly greet customers, provide them with assistance, and ensure they are receiving the best service possible. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with the odd, ill-mannered customer. However, if you continue to treat them kindly, then you know at the end of the day you took all of your power to still treat them with respect. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know your co-workers, and enjoying the variety of customers that come in on a daily basis. I learn a great deal of life-skills from customer experiences, and it greatly pays off when the customer gives you a great customer review at the end of the day. This job has been very rewarding for me, and has taught me many life skills that I will be able to continue to use in all future employment opportunities.
A friendly work environment, which thrives in assuring customers walk out the door happy with there purchase and service we provided.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 6, 2015
It is a wonderful place to work, everyone is friendly yet efficient in there work. Great benefits and you always learn something cool about the sales industry. you are able to grow and hone your skills as a sales person.
Pros
commision+discounts
Cons
undefined work hours (you will work any time of day any day depending on the schedule)
Lots of hours, almost too much
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSNovember 13, 2015
I worked as an assistant manager, and worked about 50-55 hours a week on the off season, despite being told i'd work 35-40. the store was severely understaffed and super disorganized. There is no HR dept, and it shows with the way you are treated by upper management. No one cares, and its every man for himself.
not fun
Sales Associate / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
worked late night
no graditude
no respect \
worked every saturday \
long drive to work
hard on feet and legs
lots of climbing of ladders
very disorganized
Pros
customers
Cons
no respect
Kind Coworkers, not the best company.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCDecember 28, 2015
Everyone that work with are kind and fun, but the company is not the best. You only get paid $7.75 an hour and then you get "commission" which isn't really commission at all. A couple days I worked I wasn't allowed to have my break (I work 8 hour+ shifts).
very stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 14, 2015
i worked long hours with little staff. i did enjoy helping customers and meeting new people and learning to ship and recieve orders online.
No advancement poor hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 21, 2013
You arrive early check price changes open the store, do onlines dust and serve customers.
I learned patience and how to stand my ground.
I would rather not comment on management.
or the coworkers for that matter.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours but sparse days and lack of advancement.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people I love people and making them feel good about themselves and there purchase.
Pros
amazing discount
Cons
lack of respect of labor laws
It was a fun place to work until it wasn't fun anymore
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 14, 2014
It is retail, it could be busy or it could be really quiet, but I always enjoyed going to work. It paid less than minimum wage, the commission was only good if you were making frequent sales, and there wasn't any real chance for advancement, but I always had a good time. I enjoyed the one on one interaction with the customers and succeeding in helping them find exactly what they were looking for. I don't want to sound bitter because we worked as a team, we were a team, we helped to boost each others sales and commissions. This was the kind of team that talked constantly behind each others backs. A person can only handle high school politics for so long.
The cheapest company to work for
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MississaugaMay 5, 2015
softmoc is the cheapest company to work for. as far as being a assistant manager you get paid minimum wage with NO benefits!
Pros
absolutely nothong
Cons
30 min break for a 9 hour shift, minimum wage for assistant manger and lower (key holder, sales associate)
Fun workplace with amazing people
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 31, 2014
A typical morning would consist of possibly opening the store on my own, checking for price changes and making sure they are done before store hours, checking online orders, and making sure the store was in perfect condition. During the day I would greet and assist customers, maintain a high visual standard for the store, direct and lead the team of sales associates, dealing with customer service issues, and complete online orders. I would as well possible close the store. I learned how to be a strong leader with this position. As for the management in my opinion I felt as though the head management (above store manager, such as District Management) weren't very organized, making choices that I feel weren't benefiting the company. The people I worked with in the store were amazing, we had a great team and worked well together while enjoying each others company. Making sure the store remained in perfect visual standards during the busy days such as black Friday were a challenge but we managed to get through it successfully. Overall working at SoftMoc was an enjoyable experience.
worst job ever
employee (Former Employee) –  pickeribgJuly 19, 2014
it was an okay job at first but Once you show that you are a good worker they expect way to much from you. they will also write you up for being late at any point even you explain to them that you take public transit to get there. they say they don't care. pathetic company.
Pros
none really
Cons
long hours, horrible staff and management, unpaid breaks, no time off
CSR Position advancement to ASM
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 13, 2015
Poor management near the end of my run here. Job hours are never secure and I had left for school reasons and upon reasons was let go.
Pros
Co workers
Management Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2014
- Gained experience controlling staff and working with all of them to maintain balance within the store.
-looking out for all staff members; when staff required time off at a moments notice or was seeking more hrs, I did everything in my power to accommodate these requests.
-Controlling the stock room was interesting as stock was being received in numerous amounts with little space to store them.
Pros
breaks and lunches, booking time off.
Cons
store management had to be more assertive, was worried about other things then the customer
Softmoc is the worst in retail.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 16, 2014
SoftMoc off the bat seems like a great place to work, friendly staff in stores, awesome product to sell, you learn a great knowledge about shoes and other shoe products. They're a fast growing retailer and from the outside in, seems like a great place to work. This is far from the case.

SoftMoc's corporate culture is extremely negative.
Recently the implementation of a customer survey program has seen managers being given written warnings for customers deciding not to do the surveys and the company provides zero incentive to customers to do these. Store level staff are disciplined for not being able to sell shoe care products like cleaners and sprays, no matter how high your sales are. Despite strong sales performance, Softmoc insists you are not good enough.

The company mission is lost.
District and store managers want staff to focus on in store customers, yet customer service demands disregard of customers to send out website orders. If you don't comply, they harass you with messages and phone calls, instructing you to comply, even though they're not your boss.

Communication is extremely poor.
Store level employees receive no memos of policy changes which can cause chaos when issues arises, and customers blame the in store staff, and complain, which we are then blamed.

All power is reserved at head office.
Store management are not allowed to make any exception to rules, but the customer service department is, and they abuse it. This makes store staff look stupid for upholding policy.

Compensation is very poor for the what is expected by the staff,
Softmoc pays below minimum
  more... wage with promise of commissions to exceed and make more (if below minimum wage is made you are bumped). Unless you work at a very high volume store, management makes very low wages but are expected to do the job of a sales person, staff supervisor, stock person (shipping and receiving), merchandiser, handle all customer service issues, order processor, and anything else asked by senior management. They also demand overtime during the holiday seasons, and overtime is based off a $7.25 base as oppose to minimum wage. Furthermore, they do not increase base based on cost of living increases or increases in minimum wage.

Softmoc uses store staff as scapegoats for all their problems. No matter what department or what issue.
Pros
great discount for yourself and friends/family, great selection of shoes, in store co-workers are awesome.
Cons
negative corporate culture, poor compensation, poor senior management
Very Fast paced work enviorment
Assistant Manager/ Stylist (Current Employee) –  markville mallJanuary 20, 2015
-A lot of work load for management to take on for hourly minimum wage!

-A lot of experience in many areas achieved from this job.
Easy-going workplace with tremendous staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMay 15, 2015
Softmoc's commission base allows for a schedule where employees are required to work on their own for hours at a time. Although this allows for great growth in independence for the employee as well as allows them to make more commission per hour, it creates a workplace where the employee is not considerably available to their customers during busy periods and decreases the amount of assistance the employee can provide to their customers. While this increases the wait time as the single employee is having to give their attention to several customers at a time, the rushed atmosphere increases the number of mistakes that can occur, allows the store to become increasingly messy and lowers the patience of many customers needing immediate assistance. This would most likely be the hardest part about working at Softmoc at that any employee will have to deal with.
On a typical day, Softmoc is incredibly easy going. Coworkers are always available for assistance and managers are extremely friendly and understanding, creating a very comfortable, family-like atmosphere for all employees. Cooperative thinking is used to solve any discrepancies and all employees are reminded that mistakes are ways to learn and are then taught how to do the job correctly. Discounts on products are amazing and the store itself is incredibly easy to maintain and manage.
Pros
great discount on products
Cons
low hourly wages
Negative work environment.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMay 12, 2015
There was a lot of negativitiy, and no confidentiality. The customers were great. Breaks were hit and miss due to some of the store rules.
Pros
the customers
Cons
no breaks.
Cool work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioSeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work is simply assisting customers, answering questions, handling cash, answering phone calls, multi tasking. It's very laid back and straight forward. There's a lot I learned from Softmoc that is just kind of everyday life experiences. Not everyone is going to be the easiest customer to handle, you just need to know how to handle the situation. I had the privilege to work with some of the best co-workers I could ever imagine, they really were like family to me and made me look forward going into to work each and every shift.
Pros
working with amazing people
Cons
not enough hours
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan OntarioMarch 25, 2015
* Always fun and exciting
* I learned how to be a good sales person and how to work well with customers and help them find what they need to the best of my ability.
*Always made sure a customer left happy and found what they were looking for.
Do NOT work here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OttawaMarch 29, 2014
Working here was an awful experience! I worked for the company almost 6 years. I was an assistant manager for 4 years and then a store manager for 2 years.
The lack of training is unbelievable and the pay? forget about it!
as a regular sales associate you will be paid WELL UNDER minimum wage - because they say you can make lots of commission. As as store manager I made 0.50 cents above minimum wage. It was a joke!
You are forced to work two 12 hour shifts per week, you do not get paid vacation and you are supposed to be super hero's who never get sick, and even if you are vomiting, you are expected to come in to work.
As a manager, you are given enough hours for yourself and your assistant, then you get 15 hours to split between 7 part time staff, where everyone gets upset because you are supposed to offer the part timers up to 30 hours a week. You will be lucky if you get 17.
The only full time guaranteed 40 hours is the store manager and the assistant manager.
Do yourself a favor and do not waste your time.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
pay, hours, lack of training, high stress

Comment – April 17, 2014

I agree! 100% experienced it first hand worst place to work ever

Comment – April 20, 2014

I also agree. I wish people would take a warning. Softmoc was one of the worst jobs I ever had. The pay is HORRIBLE.