Sofina Foods Employee Reviews

Great company!
National Account Manager - Retail & FoodService (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
Great company, good people and plenty of room to grow! I would recommend this company to anyone who loves the food industry, wants to work at a growing company and is flexible with an ever changing environment
not fun at all after we were bought out by Sofina Foods that's for sure
Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 March 2017
I understand when a big company buys a small one, no ones job is secure, changes were expected to happen and unfortunately I was the unlucky one...is like in any sports team a new coach is hire as soon as new management team is in place.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
yes...14 to 15 hours a day to be specific
Is a company that treats me very well, gave me the opportunity to learn a lot and gain a lot of experience
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
I am very responsible, honest and very eager to progress, and I follow the orders as they tell me.
I learned how to handle the forklift and I gained a lot of experience in this, I learned to understand people and understand their needs, I learned to make orders and to locate the products in their place, to make inventories.
Intense workplace with little work life balance
TRADE MARKETING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON19 January 2017
Lean operation requires individuals tasked with multiple rolls leading to long hours and little work life balance.

some great small teams, however, more people required to properly carry out projects to success.
Cons
long hours, lean operation
New Management In Brampton Rocks!!
Service Person (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 January 2017
Been with the company over 10 years and have seen very bad Management decisions up until almost 2 years ago. New Plant Manager is awesome and also the Maintenance Manager is super supportive and gets things done. Really enjoy my job now having the support of World Class Managers!
Pros
Great Pay / Best in Class Plant
Cons
early mornings / Benefits
Productive work place that provides excelent laboral enviroment
Line/Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 December 2016
Working at Sofina was a very good experience. Day after day the manager and supervisors make sure that all employees work in a safe environment, meeting all the requirements that the law specify. Working in a factory is not always easy but, when everybody is working with the purpose of getting things done, everything actually is simple. The hardest part of working as a line worker is the long period of time that you have to be standing up and sometimes you have to lift heavy stuff.
Pros
Pay very well
Sofina Foods Belleville
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON9 December 2016
I worked here for just over a year, plus I worked there as a summer student for 2 years leading into getting hired full time. I enjoyed the hours and the people I worked with. I would go back if I had the chance.
Pros
Cold environment
Cons
Early Mornings.
Horrible work place no integrity
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2016
Horrible place to work. Do not value their employees.employees tested like slaves.this company does not value it's employees.
Pros
Cons
Terrible directors
Not good place to work no training
MRO Buyer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2016
Not GOOD place to Work NO TRAINING They Expect people to know everything before they start
Bad Management
Poor Conditions
Worry more about Making Money that anything else
Good place to work and to learn if you're reliable employee.
Sales (Former Employee) –  BC13 April 2016
Overall people working very hard to earn what they expect for, including union workers and management teams. But after Sofina bought out Lilydale, there are so many areas required to be changed, but not all toward the efficiently operating way. Even people like us, working extremely hard to fulfill and beyond the job duties or performance as daily bases and still got package let go without any notice.
Fast pace
Spare knifeq (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 March 2016
cutting meat to spec all day at a rapid pace. able to maintain speed and precision.Early mornings and a lot of mechanical errors.
Pros
Union
Cons
early days
productive work place, friendly environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 February 2016
A typical day set up machine for daily production, run within SOP, GMP and CFIA guidelines. Co-workers were friendly and helpful, hardest part of the job was the early mornings and working in a cold environment.
Pros
Helpful co workers
Cons
cold environment, early hours
Good starting pay, upward mobility limited
Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2016
Place runs at such a daily stressed level that making improvements both personally(professionally) and in the work environment is difficult. Upper management under such stress from ownership group that you are unlikely to see improvements. Lots of non-optional overtime. As a salaried employee it is difficult to get re-imbursed for overtime even when working 56+ hours a week.
Pros
Money is ok
Cons
Upper management tows corporate line at expense of workers who know better
Its been great so far!
general labourer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 December 2015
Its not often a company lives up to their values as consistently as they suggest. I've been with the company for less than a year and so far I feel Sofina is everything they say they are or are aspiring to be.

The owner is hands on, passionate and obviously cares about the people working for his company. You can see it in how he interacts with everyone as he seems very humble about the company's success. So nice to see.

My coworkers are all honest, long term, hard working people who seem to always have a smile on their face.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
bacon taste tests (who can say no?)
Productive company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2015
*Nice ,safety,trained detailed
*Respectful,good management figure
*All cultured and good team workers
*Hardest the cold
* Chrismas time
Pros
Free tuckeygiveaway
Cons
Lot of overtime
making chicken products
Full-time summer job (Former Employee) –  london ontario6 April 2015
made deli meats, janes chicken nuggests and many other chicken products.
some days were really long and dragged on when some others flew by.
really liked working here
learned alot of different skills and techinques
Pros
good money
Cons
long boring hours
Very productive and many jobs
Shipper and receiver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 November 2014
The job itself depends were you work . The wages vary slightly ; jobs vary drastically . There are light and easy jobs and there are heavy and very physical jobs . The jobs that are the easiest and require thinking pay the most . The management is not wanting to help you . Is a dog walk on dog to the top . If your lucky you get a nice boss that treats you with respect . I was lucky to have had many good people as my boss . Also is how you treat your boss . I don't care how hard a job is as long as I have a great boss . I will not work for anyone that does not truly respect me as a person first . I learned not to look at the clock and to focus on getting the job done no matter what . Co - workers are sometimes can cause stress and I found that pushing myself to help them and letting them know that I will be there to help them has made many people like me and changed them as well . The hardest part of the job is dealing with other workers and sometimes the boss can be in a bad mood and will not want to talk to anyone . The best part of the job is the feeling that I accomplished the task at hand and feels good to go home ;job well done and the payday feels good to know I work for this and spending it feels great too . I love working in the cold and wet doesn't bother me . I enjoyed working at the most physical jobs as I love to work out and this place gives you that if you want that . The pay is very good and the dental and medical is the beat you can get .Overall I spent 35 years working for this Company and never once thought about leaving as it was a good safe place to work  more... .  less
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Harsh environment, cold and wet and very noisy .
CPG company lacking in Marketing focus
Assistant Brand Manager - Grocery Brands (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario13 November 2014
Lack of any real Marketing direction. Does not support brand development. Mostly focused on Private Label products. Mid-level employees are great.
Pros
Free food products
Cons
Understaffed
Big part of my life
RECEIVER- WAREHOUSE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 May 2014
For 37 years, enjoyed going to work and being a productive employee
I made long time friends with my co workers and still stay in touch.
When the warehouse was slow, I would work in other departments
learning the jobs needed to be preformed.
I really liked my Warehouse position, receiving incoming product,
storage and supplying production areas.
If there were any work related problems I would solve them and
communicate to Management.
If warehouse became busy, I trained co workers.
Away from work I participated in company golf and hockey.
Pros
steady work
Cons
plant closure
Office Administration
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2014
Given the position of Office Administrator allows me to interact with a range of colleagues and needs on any given day. Along with my regular duties of maintaining the smooth operation of all daily functionality of the office, I learned to be adaptable and versatile to any and all situations. I very much enjoyed the variety of my duties.