Sodexo Employee Reviews in Canada

Decisions take place behind doors
Facility Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2012
I once heard a comment that "I'm being left alone by Sodexo in front of a herd of wolves". I guess this clearly defines their methodology and the way they deal with the situation. Less said is better.

Co workers are also not cooperative and are back biters, may be because they are saving their jobs by playing dirty games. I'm glad that I made a decision.
Cons
too much work load, no support from management, politics, decisions behind close doors, no career growth
love to work with the public
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2012
A typical day was to arrive at work, close the door and do all the payroll and accounting for the business. I learned a lot from this job especially since the lady that trained me did not speak much English and she was very pregnant so she was at the doctors most of the time. Much of the job was self taught. I was very busy so I did not get to know my co-workers as well as I would have like to.
Pros
it was in a hospital setting
Cons
i wish i had more training to learn the ropes
they don't care about the people
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 13, 2013
Sodexo is a huge company and the focus is on making money. They get by on as few staff as possible, then get mad when everything isn't perfect! the work load is not reasonable, and even management doesn't try to deny this. when you complain about being overworked they tell you "I know you can't do everything, so you need to prioritize". then when everything isn't done you get written up! I worked in a hospital in housekeeping, and with this company and their values in place I hope i never get sick.
Pros
Cons
pay is ok, but not good enough for the amount of work. not full time. no benefits. overall, 2 thumbs down.
Not very good no constructive work ethics
House keeper (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCNovember 8, 2012
Run run run your always busy.they never hire enough house keepers.
The company was not very good but I learned a lot,I loved the job I picked up alot I learned how to clean hospital rooms,how to deal with people how to deal with conflicts between co workers and doctors and nurses
The hardest part of this job: dealing with the doctors and nurses and keeping up with their demands
I loved the interactions between me and the patient and the senior citizens in the long term care facilities
Pros
i learned how to interact with patients, doctors, nurses
Cons
not enough house keepers
A Tremendous Company to Work For
Senior Financial Analyst/Assistant Controller (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 26, 2012
Sodexo is a culturally diverse and responsible corporate citizen that places great emphasis on its employees. Significant efforts are directed towards employee training, development and extensive commitments are made towards maintaing a healthy and productive work life balance.
Pros
great management, training and support programs for employees
Cons
limited advancement opportunities in certain areas
a great place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  CNRL FortMacmurryAugust 19, 2013
. trying to keep everything neat and tidy. i learned to work with many different groups of people and it was fun. management was great to work for.my coworkers were great,i got along very well with my coworkers.there was no hard part about this job i worked in two buildings.i would go out to help in other places if i was needed.the most enjoyable part of my job was the people i worked for and the people i worked with.
Pros
the people i met
Cons
riding home on a bus
Sodexo company is the best place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 21, 2012
i learned lots of good things ..how to be with people ,to work as a team.the management are great and fair to everybody. my co workers are very supportive in terms of everything... the hardest job that i encounter is to understand everybody .and to be patience .the most enjoyable part of my job when we do project time in summer were all happy and work together ....also i cant forget is our get together party every year.
Pros
potluck
Good Job Environment
Dishes, Catering (Former Employee) –  RichmondMay 12, 2015
Good people make up a good place to work and interact. I enjoyed the positive employees I worked around and the support presented.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
N/A
productive and past face workplace
Chef Cuisinier Asiatique (Former Employee) –  New CaledoniaFebruary 2, 2014
day to day work is base on menu cycle every month that's why i have learned a lot specially in food supervisory and management.
great experience on my co-workers and also to the management.
there's no hardest part on the job because it is always enjoyable when i'm working with my passion, especially in kitchen supervisory.
Pros
free board, lodging and transportation
Cons
High production and working with world wide chefs
cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 11, 2014
A typical day checking with the Executive Chef of the daily duties. Working and assisting the Celebrity Chef's since I knew my way around the kitchen, and gather their ingredients and assist them on the World Stage.
After I became the breakfast chef.
I was hired for the Paralympics also.
Pros
learning new skills from different chef's
Cons
the olympics ended.
Diversity and Inclusion at work everyday
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 8, 2015
Multifaceted facilities management company with many roles in many business environments from health care, manufacturing to campus services.
Pros
working in many enviorments
Cons
contracted work
great working experience with a variety of positions and times.
Warehouse organizer/ Incinerator/ shuttle driver (Former Employee) –  Dease Lake, BCJune 4, 2013
we would start with unloading pallets from freight trucks, to our warehouse with a forklift, then unloaded the products that was needed for each camp in sections, then bring it to the helicopter so it can be transported, then we would keep and inventory from the kitchen and communicate with the kitchen so we can resupply them, as well as the camp room attendance. some days we would alternate from shuttle bus driving, to removing waste in the incinerator. each day was different, which is why I enjoyed it so much. I learned a ton of responsibility in managing a camp, and maintaining equitable assistance. I enjoyed every aspect of the job, and the variety of experiences it had to offer.
Pros
being in camp with no distractions
Cons
i loved being in camp
working at Sodexo - an "ok" stepping stone...
manager (Former Employee) –  Sodexo CanadaJune 18, 2012
The day-to-day folks that you work with are great and the teamwork atmosphere is encouraged.

Employees are supported in the Company’s ongoing charity efforts towards the "Stop Hunger" foundation - employees can freely give of their work time to help out.

Work/life balance is almost non-existent and senior managers seem very disconnected from the day-to-day demands of the roles.

Support departments are very understaffed and the leadership team is perceived as being driven by business growth only.

When the status quo is professionally challenged, employees are made to feel that their concerns are not heard.

Favoritism and cliques abound...
Pros
stop hunger foundation work, great team-members, potential for global transfers
Cons
long hours, less than competitve pay for non-senior staff, culture slow to change
Well maintained work place
Kitchen hand (Current Employee) –  PilbaraMarch 26, 2014
I love my job in the kitchen here on site, the people are freindly an everyone works well as a team. I really enjoy my days on site because there is always something for me to do which makes the day go fast. The hardest part of my job would be the first night on night shift but after that everything runs real smoothly.
Pros
gym
Cons
not much social life
Progressive Company with great vision and values
District Manager Corporate Services and IFM (Former Employee) –  Western Canada: AB, BC, MB, SKJanuary 8, 2015
I spent eight fantastic years working for Sodexo and truly enjoyed the experience, the opportunities and the professional development.
Pros
diverse, inclusive, proactive
housekeeping at the hospital
House Keeper (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCDecember 3, 2012
A typical day at my job involves alot of cleaning and busy atmosphere. The hardest part of my job is the commute back and forth from abbotsford to maple ridge. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people and make them feel comfortable
Pros
being able to make people feel comfortable and seeing them happy
Cons
long commute
I try hard to maintain a positive attitude and smile
Housekeeping Associate (Current Employee) –  General siteMarch 13, 2013
I sign in and look to see what area I will be doing. I sign out my keys and go to my JC and set up my cart.
I learned to do things different ways from management and co-workers.

The hardest part of the job would be, coming into a messy cart that someone else left with a bucket of dirty water, and no supplies.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I have done a good job and people notice, it makes me feel good to know that I have given my best. As well, I enjoy interacting with people and like to help in anyway I can. I get along well with all of my co-workers and other hospital staff, as well as the general public.
Cons
very little hours, not that great a pay, scheduling issues for example: i show up for work and i'm not on the schedule, then i leave and their calling me to come back because they made a mistake on the schedule, and this happens quite ften.
Great Place to work! Great Staff & Team
Residence Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONMarch 9, 2015
Great energy and an amazing place to work! Good starting pay and exceptional benefits. Sodexo - Lakehead University take care of their staff & faculty
great environment
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCDecember 18, 2014
i enjoy working with people and i met all sorts of people from cultures to religions and ethnicities. i had amazing view of the airport and had free food in the lounge
Pros
free food great view
Cons
heavy lifting and walking around
Enjoyable fun atmospheric workforce
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCOctober 2, 2013
I enjoyed working at the Sodexo company, because it was a great company. I worked with good people; we understood each other, and the supervises were also benevolent which made work enjoyable and interesting.
Cons
somtimes the work slowed down and minimum or, insucifficent hours were given per week.