Sodexo

Sodexo Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Impossible Demands, Constant Criticism, Counterproductive Equipment
Janitor (Current Employee), Prince George, BCNovember 13, 2015
Pros: The work team is a group of very nice hardworking people
Cons: Impossible workload, constant criticism and threat of termination, assistant management bully, wage
No matter how hard you try, there will be ongoing criticism from multiple contradicting sources. That said, the ongoing criticism is one of the only indicators of the actual job description. Because of the multiple parties that are making demands, the workload is impossible to complete. Equipment falls apart when you try to use it; when you bring this to their attention, it will be locked out for a week and then returned to you in the same condition with a statement that it is "fixed". Whether you have the equipment or not, you will be hindered in accomplishing the task that that type of equipment is required for. You will then be publicly humiliated on their Wall of Shame which posts weekly audits and a white board that announces shortcomings for all to see. There is also the constant threat of being fired if there are too many "complaints" from one of the sources of your workload.

I have witnessed a worker who was BADLY and permanently injured ON THE JOB, being aggressively treated by assistant management, in front of an audience, as though she were practically a criminal. She is supposed to be receiving assistance to do her "modified" workload; but instead was put working alone in the busiest area of the facility. She has to work through her breaks and stay late (without pay) to get it done, and is in excruciating pain.

Assistant management is aggressive, power hungry, domineering, hypercritical, vindictive, uncompassionate and has no management skills whatsoever. Management put her in that position, because he felt she had potential. Management seems completely – more... oblivious to any of the issues and can't understand why there is such a high turnover rate. It was actually implied to me that I would have difficulty finding things to do. Management believes the Wall of Shame inspires "healthy competition". All it does is discourage a group of already burnt out workers.

Then you will receive your paycheque which will not be enough to live on. It is usually as close as possible to minimum wage. – less
Worked in a factory cafeteria
Line Cook (Current Employee), Guelph, ONOctober 19, 2014
Pros: variety. everyday provides a new challenge.
Cons: wages need to be improved
I've had the ability to learn and expand my self, which I took the initiative to do.

Sodexo is a global matrix company, many things get lost in the cracks and go unnoticed or maybe people notice, but do not care. A person in a management position should be a true leader, and unfortunately this is not always the case. I don't feel that people try their hardest because it is easy to hide in such a large company. I enjoy my job butt the Chef makes it hard to come to work sometimes. I get frustrated because I see other people doing the bare minimum and getting by with not repercussions

They need to have a better control over staff members breaks Smokers seem to get 3X more breaks then the employees that do not smoke.
good employ but no communication
Chef d'équipe, Musée canadien de l'histoire (Former Employee), 100 rue laurier GatineauApril 21, 2015
Pros: ...
Cons: long hours, working every week-end
My day starts buy counting the safe, give the break to the employ, do the inventory and after that give the lunch break. After the lunch i can try to have my 30min of lunch and then i need to supervised the cafeteria, the coffee express and the restaurant at all time, sometimes i dont even have the time to eat.At 3h00pm i need to help the employ to close the cafeteria and count and balance there cash, do the deposit and write my report of the day on each department.
I didn`t have a good formation as a supervisor and a cashier.
My co-workers are good but they don`t take there job seriously.
The hardest part of my job is to work every week-end, iv`e been working every week-end for the pats 2 years with no possibility of having 1 week-end off without losing hours.
was a fun workplace table tennis darts and pool table.
Janitor (Former Employee), minto mine site yukon canadaApril 30, 2015
Pros: bills at home are really low so is food cost
Cons: nowhere to go and blow off steam when in a mood.
A typical day at work liked the busyness, made your day fly by. I learned a lot about team work, and how to be used to isolation working in camps, i never had problems in that department. Co workers are just like a family treat people with respect and thts what u get in return, but you always end up working with the unreliable types and unruley types thats life. Hard part of the job is no privacy, enjoyable part of the job is making new friends etc you cant name all the things. Was a fun workplace
easy going place. lots of things to do.
Primary Store Clerk (Former Employee), Kapuskasing, ONNovember 14, 2014
Pros: all your food and logdeing were free
Cons: being away from family
When I worked at the store It was a lot of fun as I only had one boss and he would just let me do my own thing. But when I had a question my boss was always willing to give me a helping hand to make sure that I understood. The bosses that I had are great to work for because they were always willing to teach me everything there was to know about the store. from the ordering to the stocking of the store.
The hardest part of the job really didn't have anything to do with the work. It had a lot to do with the fact that you are away from home.
But on the same since the best part of the job was that I got to meet a lot of different kind of people.
We have pool tables theatre room and gym baseball field alot of good things to enjoy yourself great room also.
C-Store attendant and cashier (Current Employee), Smoky Falls, ONAugust 18, 2013
Pros: everything is free here
Cons: long hours but no problem
My day here at work is always a good i enjoy being around people i always have a smile. I even have workers calling me smily. I do see how management have a lot on their plates to make this job successful. My co-workers are great to work with. My hardest part of my work is well i don't really have an answer for that one for me its not very hard. The most enjoyable part is learning new things everyday and making sure our workers are served well and happy.
great working experience with a variety of positions and times.
Warehouse organizer/ Incinerator/ shuttle driver (Former Employee), Dease Lake, BCJune 4, 2013
Pros: being in camp with no distractions
Cons: i loved being in camp
we would start with unloading pallets from freight trucks, to our warehouse with a forklift, then unloaded the products that was needed for each camp in sections, then bring it to the helicopter so it can be transported, then we would keep and inventory from the kitchen and communicate with the kitchen so we can resupply them, as well as the camp room attendance. some days we would alternate from shuttle bus driving, to removing waste in the incinerator. each day was different, which is why I enjoyed it so much. I learned a ton of responsibility in managing a camp, and maintaining equitable assistance. I enjoyed every aspect of the job, and the variety of experiences it had to offer.
work wherever I was called in for from being on grill to making pizza to dishroom
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: pay was good. enjoyed working with public
Cons: on-call, not enough hours, never knew when or if working
I enjoyed working for Sodexo I was at the Brock Universitie Food Services. I met alot of nice people. The problem was it was on-call basis only and would be that way for years. Many employees had been there 5 years and were still on-call. You could go weeks with no calls and the following week work 4 shifts but never knew where or if you were going to work until they called. That is why I left there when I got the job at Niagara College with less pay but regular hours.
they don't care about the people
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCApril 13, 2013
Pros: .
Cons: pay is ok, but not good enough for the amount of work. not full time. no benefits. overall, 2 thumbs down.
Sodexo is a huge company and the focus is on making money. They get by on as few staff as possible, then get mad when everything isn't perfect! the work load is not reasonable, and even management doesn't try to deny this. when you complain about being overworked they tell you "I know you can't do everything, so you need to prioritize". then when everything isn't done you get written up! I worked in a hospital in housekeeping, and with this company and their values in place I hope i never get sick.
A safe place to eat
Server/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJuly 9, 2013
Pros: free lunchs; learn how to make simple food as pizza and sandwich
Cons: not much space for promotion
My major job covers a variety of activities, such as customer services, inventory management and kitchen assistant. Usually in the morning I will check if there is enough stock for Easy to Go Food and decide how many to make. For lunch time, I will serve the Chef Table. Sometimes if i work for the evening time, I am in charging of cleaning up and putting away the food.

I enjoy greeting the customer most although it is not as relaxing as working in the kitchen. Customers' smiles make me feel my job is rewarding.
Decisions take place behind doors
Facility Operations Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2012
Cons: too much work load, no support from management, politics, decisions behind close doors, no career growth
I once heard a comment that "I'm being left alone by Sodexo in front of a herd of wolves". I guess this clearly defines their methodology and the way they deal with the situation. Less said is better.

Co workers are also not cooperative and are back biters, may be because they are saving their jobs by playing dirty games. I'm glad that I made a decision.

May 25, 2012

I was hired for a position that far exceeded my knowledge base because I was the "best candidate", I was told "you won't be left out there on an island...we will be there for you...we know we are throwing an unimagineable amount at you and we don't expect you to grasp it all right away". And there I was alone on my island. PS- they still owe me over $1000!

May 30, 2012

Thank you for seconding me. They also didn't give me my dues initially by saying that I'd consumed all of my vacations, however when I submitted proofs and did follow ups, they then realized it and had to pay them. This shows where their norms and ethical values are! For them it should be Ethics First.

love to work with the public
Financial Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2012
Pros: it was in a hospital setting
Cons: i wish i had more training to learn the ropes
A typical day was to arrive at work, close the door and do all the payroll and accounting for the business. I learned a lot from this job especially since the lady that trained me did not speak much English and she was very pregnant so she was at the doctors most of the time. Much of the job was self taught. I was very busy so I did not get to know my co-workers as well as I would have like to.
Friendly and Fast
Cook, Server, Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: Free food, benefits after 3 months
Cons: Fast paced
The job involved serving the same group of customers every day, as the Sodexo was within a manufacturing plant. This allowed getting to know the customers on a personal basis; the best part of the job. However, one must keep in mind that workers are given a set time period for breaks, and service must be swift as well as friendly. It is an easy balance to achieve after a while.
You can learn alot about the business at this location
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Cantung Mine, NWTJune 9, 2014
Its been a very long ride learning the ropes, always someone to correct your way of doing things. Its up at 5am and down at 9pm every day for 28 days straight. I have recieved some much in the way of how to do things and the proper tools to accomplish it. I have really been apart of improving the ergonomics here at the this site. I have enjoyed every minute and will continue to try my best.
Remote location - mining camp, one road in and one road out. Very big adjustment compared to all other job assignments.
Camp Manager (Former Employee), outside Sicamous, B.C.November 2, 2015
Pros: Spent a lot of time and got tto be friends with co-workers
Cons: Long ways from home
Job was a challenge. 300 minors, had to put 3 people in two rooms, by figuring out the rotations and ensuring no over rides. Managed 30 First Nations staff in kitchen and housekeeping. Responsible for inventory in kitchen and commissary.
Fast paced, busy yet fun job.
Receptionist for Sodexo (Former Employee), Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, Mississauga, ON.January 19, 2015
Pros: always met new people, and workplace was just an 8 minute drive from home.
Cons: the management provided very little or no support at all.
Learned something new almost every single day of work.
Challenged my multi-tasking and time management skills and bettered it all the time.
Acquired strong product knowledge.
Always kept Client interest above everything for which a great deal of appreciation was received.
Sodexo company is the best place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 21, 2012
Pros: potluck
i learned lots of good things ..how to be with people ,to work as a team.the management are great and fair to everybody. my co workers are very supportive in terms of everything... the hardest job that i encounter is to understand everybody .and to be patience .the most enjoyable part of my job when we do project time in summer were all happy and work together ....also i cant forget is our get together party every year.
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 3, 2014
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: working the night shift
My day at work was very enjoyable. It was very busy and time went by fast. My people skills got better getting to know all that worked there.

Management was great to work with.

My co-workers were awesome people. Was great to be able to work with a good group.

The hardest part of my job was the hours as I worked the night shift.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with so many different people and getting to know each person on a personal level.
For a camp, it's a great place to be.
kitchen helper-prep- (Former Employee), Mayo, YTDecember 22, 2014
Pros: free meals and room
Cons: 12 hours a day for two weeks. two weeks off.
I enjoyed working in the kitchen, and my boss was an awesome chef and had great taste in music. My co-workers were really nice people and I had no problems with anybody. Wish to be apart of this team again someday would be awesome, but to those looking for a great pay and meeting new people..this is the job for you.
Well maintained work place
Kitchen hand (Current Employee), PilbaraMarch 26, 2014
Pros: gym
Cons: not much social life
I love my job in the kitchen here on site, the people are freindly an everyone works well as a team. I really enjoy my days on site because there is always something for me to do which makes the day go fast. The hardest part of my job would be the first night on night shift but after that everything runs real smoothly.
Headquarters