Sodexo Canada Employee Reviews

Impossible Demands, Constant Criticism, Counterproductive Equipment
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCDecember 7, 2015
Witnessed management aggressively attempting to intimidate BADLY injured worker. She was supposed to be on light duty with someone to help. She was forced to work (early, late and through breaks) in busiest area of facility Now injury is permanent.

Management knows work load is impossible, yet loads still more on. Whatever cannot be done, you will be written up on the Wall of Shame for. You can be written up for following any of your superiors' instructions. You are expected to work for free to get it all done, then more will be added. There is constant threat of immediate termination. Anyone who questions them too often is the first to go.

If you find a way to make dysfunctional equipment work, that means will be taken away from you. When someone questioned them on that, they found their custodial closet and cart "mysteriously" turned upside down. She was then written up on the Wall of Shame in as many ways as the management member could conceive of.

Do not be fooled by the promise of benefits in 90 days, most people do not survive that long.
Pros
Free toilet paper, nice coworkers
Cons
management tactics
Productive and busy place
Floor Manager/ Catering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2016
I start my work with Floor and check all the Haccp and Tem. Log with Pre-use Inspection. After that I check the Event Sheet and the function of the day. Check with the staff how they are doing and discuss a topic of the day on the safety or any example on real incident which related to Health & safety. After that I take care of the Billing of the Building as well as taking the payments for the service as well as Inventory, Annual Training for the staff, weekly training.

Take care of the staff schedule & Pay roll. Book the meetings with the supplier. Place an order for all the supplies which needs in the kitchen as well as on the floor some are daily some are twice a week and some once a week. Place coffee order. Also help chef with the menu and put your thoughts. During the lunch check with the client for the feedback.

Get the feedback from the staff about the food and the safety Issue.
Work as a team in the unit. If they need any help on the floor, I will help them out.
needs lots of improvement
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Thompson, MBAugust 8, 2016
needs plenty of improvement, not managed well. lots of people not qualified for the positions they have. security does way more than they should and half of the jobs are not security duties. checking baggage in and out for camp staff is not a security duty. sitting at a desk at the kitchen and making people scan their cards is not. collecting carts and trolly's around the camp for other staff is not. checking people into rooms is not. That is only a few of the duties that sodexo makes us do. The most enjoyable part of the job is the end of the day when you get to go home.
Pros
good wage, meals provided, rooms provided, lots of ammenities
Cons
long hours, poor management
Good Pay ..Terrible/abusive management
Pan Am/Para Pan Am Games (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2016
I worked here for the pan am games in Toronto and the managerial staff was heavily verbally abusive towards me. My supervisors swore at me and threaten me; the managers wouldn't listen to a word I had to say. I ended up quitting because I literally couldn't take it. It was horrid; but, the hours were good and, I could call off when necessary. In addition, the pay was slightly over minimum wage. I enjoyed my co-workers, we all helped bring each other up. I'd just be careful when working there because they don't listen to lower positions.
Pros
Free lunch, good pay, good hours
Cons
abusive staff, long hours, sometime didn't receive proper breaks.
Sodexo Catering Inc.
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 20, 2016
Working at Sodexo was an opportunity for me to open my door to the cooking cultural world. I was semi experimenting with homemade dishes but working with the real seal chef to discipline myself to work up to showing my skills in a more international coperational setting, I learned various kinds of cuisine such Japanese, Chinese, polish, western and southern foods , India foods etc. I was introduced to the catering spectrum and buffet spectrum, overall it was a great experience to learn and gain new knowledge.
Great work environment.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  ManitobaSeptember 22, 2016
I loved working for Sodexo Canada. Management was amazing, I had good coworkers and it was a fun environment to be in. My days went by fast because we had a lot to do. While working in the kitchen I had a lot of different tasks to do throughout the day. serving hours was the busiest, I had to watch the salad bar, wipe tables and make sure customers needs were met.
sodexo was a good place if you wanted the same thing everyday not much advancement
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaMarch 21, 2016
sodexo was a good place to work but not a lot of advancement as it was union and there were not many jobs above what you were hired at.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
not alot of advancement
Fun and comforable place to work
Tim Hortons (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 28, 2015
On a typical day I would come in and automatically help with making drinks/bagels. If there was a long line I would take the other cash and help take orders. It is mandatory to keep the area clean, so I am always cleaning, whether it is sweeping, mopping, wiping counters and etc. Co-workers are usually good and very comfortable to work with, and after a long time of working together it is easy to say that we all become friends. Management knew how to choose appropriate coworkers to add to the team.
horrible place to work
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  SecheltJune 8, 2016
Horrible manager!!Allowed staff to bully and belittle staff until they quit.Most staff think they own the company and yell and scream at each other all the time.Manager and supervisor have no control over their staff and are defiantly in the wrong position!Sad to see so many good employees leave and the bad stay
Cons
Bad management and bullying
Productive workplace
Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 2, 2016
A high maintained cleanliness, and fast past tedious procedures such as filling up food bar, and checking and ensuring temps. Get team work, lots of back and fourth! Lots of jobs within one work day. Ex, food bar, cash, production, line.
Pros
Meal plan, company groups
Cons
Repetitive
Unethical, favouritism, extremely poor management team.
Bilingual Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 8, 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for, I would not recommend to anyone in any capacity whatsoever. No training provided at all, unethical management team, back stabbing, immature office environment. If you don't fit in you are terminated, albeit with out cause but that does not excuse it.
Pros
not one
Cons
everything
Unprofessional adn Unorganized
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCAugust 18, 2016
I didn't mind the work load.
Management was unprofessional.
We didn't get pain enough for what we did and the dangers we encountered on the RTA site.
Cons
Working around all the dangerous material
Good company to work for.
Chef de production (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 5, 2016
I worked as a kitchen manager for a hospital in Montreal. I got full support from my superiors. The salary and benefits were good. I would return to Sodexo as a manager anytime.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Camp was friendly, staff was great
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Hudson Hope, BCMarch 27, 2016
A typical day at work was to consult with the Chef about daily menu and prepare meals for clients with special dietary needs.
Work as part of a team to prepare lunch and dinner. Serve both meals.
Responsible for cleaning up kitchen and salad bar and overseeing preparation of rig boxes sent to crews offsite.
Supervise co-workers when Chef away
Pros
Nice place to live and work
Finance Lead (Current Employee) –  Gillam, MBApril 30, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at Sodexo so far, but have found that the work life balance is tipped too heavily on the work side. I have been working at one of their remote sites. The staff are great, the managers are easy to talk to and are always willing to help when asked.
Productive and Hardworking
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 20, 2016
busy and focused on getting the customers their order.
how to work under pressure and work as a cashier.
management was friendly and easy to get along with.
easy to get along with as well as work with.
Sodexo
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 7, 2015
This job was one of my favourites, besides the oncall shifts, but it worked out alright. Thing i dislike it that this company seems to fire and hire alot of people, just to use when they are busy in the summer or winter, whenever it maybe, i got fired or terminated not knowing what i did wrong, when i know i gave 100 percent everytime i worked. so i lost out on a job i really did like. no on foward i cant be employed by sodexo knowing i got terminated for some odd reason.
good environment at the work site.
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 11, 2016
the co-workers were very helpful. We had a very good supervisor. the most beautiful thing about our job is once we finish we get full money.
Pros
frequent dinner and movie nights
Cons
not flexible with schedule.
It's all about sedexo.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 22, 2015
This place was great to work for, then the management changed and it became horrible. If you had a life outside of that place and aren't there at the drop of a pin, they will penalize, and cut hours, make your work life there not a great time. Basically making you want to quit.
Productive and great co-workers
General Help/Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONSeptember 14, 2015
A typical day of working Sodexo is like any other job place. Come in and sign in. Continue the work of the last crew's shift as you take over, prepare for breakfast or supper. Depending on which shift you were on (Evening/Morning). I was general help so my tasks would vary throughout the day, I would help anyone within the kitchen that needed help. 1st line cook, 2nd line cooks, or 3rd line cooks, baker, deli meats, dish washers, or stocker. I learned to work effectively by simplifying the tasks in order to work efficient and quickly. Management was on par, we had several managers during the period I've worked for Sodexo. Each manager had different personalities, and was often difficult to make out what the manager wanted. Some were more comfortable to talk and work with, others were strict and demanding. Co-Workers were great, I believe if it were not for my co-workers the way they were, I would have quit some time ago. The hardest part of the job was switching shifts, from working in the evening to working in the mornings. I would have to flip my sleep schedule a completely 180 degrees more often than I'd like to. One manager did not see the issue with this. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking and getting to know my co-workers.
Pros
Free food and great co-workers
Cons
Management can be better

2.9