Sodexo Canada

Sodexo Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Sodexo is a great company to work for!
Janitorial Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 11, 2014
Pros: sodexo had a great benefits plan.
Cons: the management was too highly centralized and inefficient.
A typical night at work would begin by reading the message book. I worked nights and my boss worked days, so we communicated in writing. I filed copies of all messages sent and received.

I would then see who showed up for work, and assign work accordingly. Each staff member had his own job, but I would have to divide up the work of a missing staff member amongst the others if somebody didn't show up. I also would do some of that work myself, too. I'm a firm beleiver in leading from the front.

If I had a full staff on shift, I would often do some extra scrubbing and waxing or carpet cleaning. Keeping on top of this work was not easy.

Machine maintenance was another, although unofficial, part of my job. "Tampering" with autoscrubbers, vacuums or other machines was officially forbidden by Sodexo, but I always fixed machines if and when I could do so. When the choice came between fixing a broken down autoscrubber or leaving a floor dirty for the client to complain about, I always fixed the machine.

The big thing which I learned while being a night shift supervisor for Sodexo was basic administration. I never had to do paperwork in any job before in my working life. Some of the paperwork was downright silly, but some of it was vital, too.

Management at Sodexo was highly centralized, and I found this frustrating. Junior and mid level managers had little control over their local situations, and this led to inefficiencies. Sodexo is run from the top down.

As a supervisor, I had no real co-workers. My staff however, with only one exception, were excellent.

The hardest part of – more... the job was disciplining insubordinate workers. This was sometimes necessary but never nice.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting it done. I could walk out the door at the end of my shift, knowing that the client had a clean building. – less
Productive and great co-workers
General Help/Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Kapuskasing, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Free food and great co-workers
Cons: Management can be better
A typical day of working Sodexo is like any other job place. Come in and sign in. Continue the work of the last crew's shift as you take over, prepare for breakfast or supper. Depending on which shift you were on (Evening/Morning). I was general help so my tasks would vary throughout the day, I would help anyone within the kitchen that needed help. 1st line cook, 2nd line cooks, or 3rd line cooks, baker, deli meats, dish washers, or stocker. I learned to work effectively by simplifying the tasks in order to work efficient and quickly. Management was on par, we had several managers during the period I've worked for Sodexo. Each manager had different personalities, and was often difficult to make out what the manager wanted. Some were more comfortable to talk and work with, others were strict and demanding. Co-Workers were great, I believe if it were not for my co-workers the way they were, I would have quit some time ago. The hardest part of the job was switching shifts, from working in the evening to working in the mornings. I would have to flip my sleep schedule a completely 180 degrees more often than I'd like to. One manager did not see the issue with this. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking and getting to know my co-workers.
Impossible Demands, Constant Criticism, Counterproductive Equipment
Janitor (Current Employee), Prince George, BCDecember 7, 2015
Pros: Free toilet paper, nice coworkers
Cons: management tactics
Witnessed management aggressively attempting to intimidate BADLY injured worker. She was supposed to be on light duty with someone to help. She was forced to work (early, late and through breaks) in busiest area of facility Now injury is permanent.

Management knows work load is impossible, yet loads still more on. Whatever cannot be done, you will be written up on the Wall of Shame for. You can be written up for following any of your superiors' instructions. You are expected to work for free to get it all done, then more will be added. There is constant threat of immediate termination. Anyone who questions them too often is the first to go.

If you find a way to make dysfunctional equipment work, that means will be taken away from you. When someone questioned them on that, they found their custodial closet and cart "mysteriously" turned upside down. She was then written up on the Wall of Shame in as many ways as the management member could conceive of.

Do not be fooled by the promise of benefits in 90 days, most people do not survive that long.
was an enjoyable place to work
Fresh fruit prep ,dinning room attendant (Former Employee), NWTJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: room food good benefits good pay
Cons: mean n rude managers who are not people friendly
I enjoyed working in the NWT with Sodexo, when our Manager switched to another area in canada., Sodexo sent us a real him finger of a manager. He never came out his office to greet the clients, wore the same clothes everyday (no not business clothes) just striped shirt and pants. Then they sent us a so called female chef...and she was an even bigger joke. She told the mine managers they could not have seconds at meal times. She would lurk about all night and give our native staff a very hard time. She and the manager are both very rude and irrogent people. Their rudeness and poor attitude eventually caused Sodexo to loose a very good contract. Because of Joan and Johns arrogance lots of people lost their jobs they the loved very much. BhP Billiton refused to do another contract with Sodexo because of these 2 people
poor pay rate and horrible management
Labourer (Former Employee), CNRL horizonOctober 25, 2014
Pros: living in camp
Cons: everything else
this company is horrible to work for, they have a bad pay rate and the management is like abunch of chickens running around with their head cut off. the fact that 99% of the staff doesnt speak english also makes working safely hard because they cant understand what you're trying to tell them. You dont get paid extra for overtime and they only offer 7&7 rotations. the hardest part of this job is dealing with the management and other workers. the only thing i enjoyed was the fact that i wasnt unemployed. theres no chance of advancing in the company.
Fun and comforable place to work
Tim Hortons (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 28, 2015
On a typical day I would come in and automatically help with making drinks/bagels. If there was a long line I would take the other cash and help take orders. It is mandatory to keep the area clean, so I am always cleaning, whether it is sweeping, mopping, wiping counters and etc. Co-workers are usually good and very comfortable to work with, and after a long time of working together it is easy to say that we all become friends. Management knew how to choose appropriate coworkers to add to the team.
Great pay with helpful co-workers.
Steward (Current Employee), Hibernia oil PlatformJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: pay and time off.
Cons: lack of work.
A typical day starts at 5:45 am. I am responsible for cleaning offices and break rooms on the Hibernia Oil Platform. Sweeping and mopping floors as well as taking out the garbage/recycling. In addition I also wash and maintain locker rooms, washrooms and staff accommodations. Restocking food and supplies in break rooms is also an important task to be done.
It is a good job, as you are kept busy and there is always something to do.
Productive and fun setting in a camp atmosphere
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Wuskwatim ManitobaSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: having 1/2 days off on sundays
Cons: 12-14 hour days
Worked daily as a housekeeper camp volume men ratio 300-500. Management was great they were always there to help in matters to be resolved. Co-workers were very team oriented, everyone got along very well. Most enjoyable part of the day was when everyone was in a good mood and everything went smooth. The most hardest of the job was when there was not enough employees to do the job.
Sodexo
Cleaner (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 7, 2015
This job was one of my favourites, besides the oncall shifts, but it worked out alright. Thing i dislike it that this company seems to fire and hire alot of people, just to use when they are busy in the summer or winter, whenever it maybe, i got fired or terminated not knowing what i did wrong, when i know i gave 100 percent everytime i worked. so i lost out on a job i really did like. no on foward i cant be employed by sodexo knowing i got terminated for some odd reason.
It had a nice gym as well as the scenary was beautiful
Maintenance (Former Employee), YukonJuly 12, 2014
Pros: long hours
Cons: poorly managed
My day consisted of working while supervising co-workers and general maintenance around the site from cleaning to pulling parts the hardest part of my job was definitely constantly dealing with bad management therefore, always a constant change over of staff that I would just have to train again but i enjoyed my employment I met a lot of good people!
Productive and Fun if you like to work in kitchen
kitchen helper (Former Employee), Mayo, YTApril 21, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch was nice
Cons: No cons.
I was only here for a month, because I was suddenly moving due to other half getting job back, but this was one of my favorite jobs. Great environment, great people to work with, and my boss was understanding. I got along with everybody, learned how to make sauces and what not. I mostly enjoyed everything about this job.
Unethical, favouritism, extremely poor management team.
Bilingual Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 8, 2016
Pros: not one
Cons: everything
The worst company I have ever worked for, I would not recommend to anyone in any capacity whatsoever. No training provided at all, unethical management team, back stabbing, immature office environment. If you don't fit in you are terminated, albeit with out cause but that does not excuse it.
A productive workplace with friendly coworkers.
Salad bar prep (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: weekends off
Cons: always busy
There's a lot to do on an average day. Always something to do. Never bored. I learned how to make various salads. Example ceaser salad, Greek salad and others. Prepared salads for catering orders. Co-workers were knowledgable and friendly. The most enjoyable part of working at Sodexo was learning new things.
Bad Management
Security Team Lead (Former Employee), Gillam, MBDecember 14, 2014
Cons: long hours, bad management, lack of training
Horrible company to work for if your doing security for them....Unprofessional management who like to sweep issues under the rug rather then deal with them.

Lied about rotation and wages just to get you up to staff their sites when they are in need and desparate
Fast and fun workplace environment
Cook (Former Employee), Kingston, ONOctober 8, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
I worked in the cafeteria of a university. The managers and supervisors kept the kitchens organized, and everyone worked together while a well oiled machine. All jobs at all stages of production were treated equally important, as they are. Overall, a great work environment.
Sodexo is poorly structured
EHS Manager (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 15, 2015
Pros: Frontline staff
Cons: No job security
Working on a Suncor Site was an excellent experieince, unfortunatley working for Sodexo was not the best experieince. I had a very solid track record and an excellent working relationship with Suncor (the client) and wwas still laid off
It's all about sedexo.
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJuly 22, 2015
This place was great to work for, then the management changed and it became horrible. If you had a life outside of that place and aren't there at the drop of a pin, they will penalize, and cut hours, make your work life there not a great time. Basically making you want to quit.
Arrogant management people and cheap pay
EX chef (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 17, 2015
Pros: On time pay
Cons: Management
An absolute red carpet management people with no knowledge about food service industry.. The pay is so cheap even for experienced! Management will say ,there is a great oppourtunity to grow but never they ll allow you grow!
Cook
cafeteria (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 6, 2015
Pros: Nice manager
Cons: They did not do a background check and set me back for my schooling
I had the honour of helping open a new location. Everything was great tell the "chef" was brought in. If it was not for the lie being a Certified Red Seal Chef I would still be with them.
overall a good company to be employed with
Custodian (Former Employee), Orillia, ONFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: meeting people
Cons: constantly on your feet
Working with sodexo at Lakehead University was an enjoyable and interesting position. The staff members were friendly and courtious as well as the students.
Employees