Sobeys

Sobeys Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Sobey's Warehouse job
Order Picker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2013
Pros: overtime, union protection of job after 3 months, free christmas food
This company is good if you're looking for a warehouse job. Its superior to other warehouses that do the same business.
Poor
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Okotoks, ABNovember 4, 2013
The supervisors always dumb everything down to the point where they think you can't tell what a frakking number FOUR is. The Store's always dark and gloomy, not very welcoming, not very friendly. Work is repetitive, no one shows any emotion.
productive job, but stressful
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Dunnville, ONNovember 3, 2013
Pros: you get to learn how to cook, learning 24hr time, using a thermometer and learning what is proper cooking temp.
Cons: short hours for the amount of work you have to do, things weren't always easy to work around, ended staying late often, not always praised for the work i did.
a typical day at work would be going by by 4:00pm and starting to slice meat for the next day for my co-workers, i would start to cut cheese to also put away for my co-workers to make subs the next day. start to flip salads and clean out the display case that held the salad. wash slicers. / on a hotfoods shift, i would come in and check the hotfoods – more... case and see if i needed to cook any more tenders, wings, wedges, or any sort of side to go with it. along with that, cook chickens all night and make sure you had just the right amount to sell/have some left over for the next day to reuse.

hardest part of the job was guessing how many chickens to cook, how many tenders, wings and wedges to cook and what you think you might sell.. also, fill out logs, clean and make sure everything is done by 8:00pm.. on weekends, 9:00pm. we also had to take out grease, clean ovens and make sure the areas around our spot were cleaned.

management was minimal, they did not train properly, and things weren't always up to standards it seemed. it really wasn't a job i enjoyed. i learned that grocery stores weren't for me. – less
fun work place
stocking shelves, unloading trucks, ordering stock (Former Employee), Sydney, NSNovember 3, 2013
Pros: team work
Cons: benefits
working hard on backshift with a great group of people, team work onlong with fun on the job was great, enjoyed my time working for sobeys
very busy which I like
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Erie, ONNovember 1, 2013
Checking out customers. keeping your till clean of clutter, putting produce and groceries away. Some co-workers were harder to get along with they would walk away from their till all the time and leave their light on and when a customer came up the would be stranded. Management was the hardest part of the job, no matter what we did never was good enough – more... for them. I stayed for double shifts and never got a thank you from the owners. They took advantage of the employees all the time. Enjoyable part was keeping busy all the time. – less
Great place to work for entry level
Front End Cashier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 31, 2013
Pros: got to work with great people
Cons: no freebies
Learned a lot about customer service, how to deal with customers, how to work on teams, answer phones, deal with customers and any problems they may have.
Busy work...good part time job
Curtious Clerk (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABOctober 31, 2013
Pros: talking to the customers
Cons: not enough hours..poor pay
Shift work
not enough hours
getting to know and talking to the customers
Best company I have worked for, I leaned alot.
Cash Office Clerk and Front End Supervisor (Current Employee), Rymal Rd, Ancaster, and BurlingtonOctober 25, 2013
Pros: learning some new every day
Cons: standing at the register when there aren't enough customers to keep busy
I have worked for Sobeys for 7 years now, in 3 different stores. I have learned much knowledge about the grocery store business and the inner workings of a large company. I have been taught by the best managers and continue to learn every day. I have gained more experience with the management/ supervisor role and have also learned to better listen to – more... people and know what they are trying to communicate. A typical day at work starts at 7am when I start in the cash office, balancing the office, counting back the cash trays and doing up the deposits for Brinks. I am also responsible for doing the sales and cash report which closes off the previous day, balancing refunds and returns and balancing safe. Once I am done in the office, I spend the rest of my day on cash serving customers and doing customer service, My coworkers are a lot of fun, we have some good laughs at work in between helping customers. Some days the hardest part of my job is standing at the cash register for 8 or more hours. The most enjoyable part is helping our customers find the items they cant find, customer service and cashing them out so they can go on and enjoy their day. And just being with my friends at work! – less
Productive and supportive company and co-workers.
LABORER (Current Employee), Silverado, Calgary, ABOctober 23, 2013
My work starts at 4:00pm to 10:00pm it`s closing for my assignment.
Great job, hours could be better
Fishmonger (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONOctober 19, 2013
My typical shift usually involves cleaning my department and assisting customers with purchasing live, fresh, or frozen seafood. The job is great, but since it is a small department we are not allotted many hours.
Great starter job
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Brighton, ONOctober 16, 2013
Pros: great for bettering your communication skills
Cons: holiday weekends can be stressful due to high shopping rate
This was my first place of employment. I like to think this job was a big improvement on my communication skills since a normal day consists of you speaking to many customers. I enjoyed the time i worked here and the people i worked with.
low pay
Grocery Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONOctober 15, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: minimum wage
Co workers were great. Hours were being cut and the pay was minimum wage. Could not do it for long and felt was only good for me while attending college.
Learned lots of customer service skills and safe work habits
Deli Worker (Former Employee), Wallaceburg, ONOctober 9, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, lots of training, patient co workers
Cons: it was only for the summer
Typical Day at work;
- Prepare pizzas ,wraps and subs,
take people orders( slicing deli meats)
help prepare sample trays
when business was slow we would clean and do inventory

I learned about safe lifting ,I also Learned safe knife handling and food handling,inventory (counting items, taking expired things off of the shelf ), Good customer service – more... skills and how to deal with unhappy customers.

My managers and co workers were very nice understanding and easy to work with :)

Hardest Part of my job was remembering some of the codes for the deli meats but after a while you just remember it becasue It was a popular item.

Most enjoyable part was talking to the customers helping them anyway I was able to and my coworkers they made the job fun while being professional. – less
Workplace suited for customer service oriented people
Cashier (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONOctober 8, 2013
I have been working at Sobeys for almost 6 years now and have enjoyed the customer service and interactive part of my job every day of my work. I have been able to win over the confidence of our customers and our management team as well with my hard work and pleasant nature.
Great beginners job
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), BeamsvilleOctober 1, 2013
Pros: easy work
Cons: not enough hours if you're looking for more.
Sobeys is a great place to have as your first job, in the bakery department anyway, good people, easy work, and the shifts are good for a student.
Great part time job
Parcel Pick-up (Current Employee), Bathurst, NBSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: great team to work with
Cons: not enough hours
This is a great place to work when looking for a part time job people are frendly management is understanding and always there to help
fast paced, competetive plac to work.
Seafood Manager (Current Employee), Halifax, NSSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: type of environment.
Always a fast paced environment, good company to work for. job security is very good. I have learned a great deal from here. Time management, accountability, follow up, organizational skills, how to discipline staff. co-workers are very good people in general, we all have to work as a team to achieve the common goal of making budgeted sakes and always – more... having a great in stock position. The hardest part of the job is being indoors all the time. I love being outdoors and also love learning, not much of either i get to do anymore. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with return customers that are always great to deal with and getting to educate them on all the things i know, as well as payday! – less
Fast paced.
Supervisor, Cashier (Former Employee), Bonnyville, ABSeptember 19, 2013
Viewing the new items to sell. Making sure that all the isles were up to standards. Fulling shelves. Accepting applications.
Excellent Management team
Cashier (Current Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: 10% employee discount once a month plus other discount vouchers.
Cons: non
This place is awesome to work. All employees work under no pressure or what so ever. First time I saw at a place where Store Manager works so well with his employees. He doesn't go around and give orders or ever been mean to his employees compared to other places I have worked. My peers also are very friendly and understanding to work with, if someone – more... is unable to work their shift, they don't give you third degree because there is always someone who would love to take the shift.
Lets just say, I haven't seen anyone having any negative things to say about our management team.
Sobeys is a place like home, where you want to be.
Will miss it when I leave for BC and hopefully get a job with a company with a pleasant management team. – less
Always had something to do
Cashier, Stocking shelves (Former Employee), Westlock, ABSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: lots of hours when i had/ have school
I worked as stocking shelves the first half i was employed and a cashier the last half year i was there.
When I was stocking shelves I would walk in on the time I was scheduled and go to the back room and look what was on the board and start doing it. (Clean out back stock, face shelves (get items to the front of the shelf), stock shelves with the order – more... that came in that day)
When i worked as a cashier I would walk in Sobeys sign in with my card i got and go to a till that they assigned me to.
I learned how to use a cash register and stock shelves.
The management was good they were nice and friendly and showed my the ropes of how to do the job right. My co-workers for stocking shelves helped me where something went when i didn't know and when i was working cashier they told me codes for the fruits when I didn't know.
The hardest part of the job for stocking shelves would be right when i started I didn't know where to put the food items. For cashier it was difficult to remember fruit codes.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers joking around with them once in awhile. – less

About Sobeys

Sobeys is the second largest food retailer in Canada, with over 1,300 supermarkets operating under a variety of banners. Headquartered – Read more