Sobeys Employee Reviews

Productive, hands on learning approach and opportunities for growth.
Purchaser,. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 15, 2016
An opportunity for hands on learning approach, as well for growth. A great team oriented department. Tight knit group. I was given a chance and will always appreciate that. Managers were family oriented and empathetic to life's challenges outside of work.
Stress, at times was a part of your position,I learned the skills to handle it and get through it. Our team was our work family as well. . A chance to build relationships with vendors.

Higher ups were not transparent as they claimed to be. Disappointed in the end by a company that treated us like family to a company that was all about the bottom $.
Pros
Bonus for acquiring and maintaining a steady service level.
Cons
Laptop and mobile at home every night as well as every weekend.
Fun and challenging
Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ONJune 15, 2016
hard
how to cut new primal cut
nice and gives good feedback
very welcoming
remembering every cut
using my hands and a knife
The Deli in Sobeys Kincardine is very nice to work at, everyone is friendly and teaches you anything you need to know. Our managers are the best!!
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kincardine, ONJune 14, 2016
I do anything from slicing meat, to sweeping the floor, washing dishes, opening meat, filling up salads and olives etc. Sometimes you don't always get along with everyone but you are a team and try and work things out.
Pros
easy to get to
Cons
not very clean
Good company, good benefits
Cash Office Supervisor/baker/cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBJune 14, 2016
I had a good 21 years at Sobeys. It was a good work environment for the most part. It was most definitely a good learning experience for me as it gave me a lot of computer, and customer service experience that has and will most definitely continue to benefit me in my life.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough full time positions available
Very fast pace,work safe environment.
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 12, 2016
Very fast environment and detail oriented. Providing 100 % customer service to our customers. Job requires to be very pro-active to avoid any discrepancies to our customers.
Pros
Love my duties as inventory/shipping clerk
Cons
Night Shift
Enjoyable work place in a fast-paced environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Paris, ONJune 10, 2016
Aside from dealing with the odd nasty customer who is inpatient and unappreciative of the work done as a cashier,the job and customers were quite good. Management is great - mostly understanding and accommodating. Hardest part of the job was probably starting customer service and learning to multitask. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with great friends and getting to know the members of the community since I worked in a small town Sobeys.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Customers can be quite rude
Productive and adaptable tasks
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Its challenging when it comes to all the cleaning, but it keeps me very busy! The co-workers I work with are great as well as the management. I enjoy engaging with the customers at Sobey's while i'm still finishing a task or project the most. When customers ask about certain pastries, food, cakes, or products that we sell in Sobey's I like to help them find what they are looking for and if I can't I will ask someone in another department so the customer is satisfied.
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/Deli Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2016
A typical day in the kitchen was to prepare the minimum daily standards. Check for expired products, rotate and fill shelves accordingly. Provide customers with our full abided attention and customer service. Ensure they have a positive experience with us as well as exchange knowledge of our products for a eat better, feel better, do better experience. Help coworkers during peak times. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co workers. The hardest but expected part of the job was during peak times and not having enough hands to ensure the customers are served within a timely manner.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Not an easy job
Hot Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 5, 2016
working at sobeys was at first easy until they put me in a new department that i didn't enjoy being in because it was too much work for one person to be able to do it properly. Management was not concerned with employees well being
Good cashier work
Bakery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2016
I had lots of hours as a bakery Specialist for sobeys, it was good and also worked in customer service sometimes selling cigarettes and lotto tickets.
Pros
good hours
Cons
not good shifts
Productive and fun place to work
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJune 2, 2016
I enjoyed working there for the time period, I had fun picking orders from the freezer to cooler.Positive environment with great people to work around.
Nice people!
HOT/COLD FOOD PREP & SALES (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Amazing co workers, typically not a lot of young adults/young teens, a lot of standing, cleaning, not a lot of talking to customers. Short break times.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Standing a lot
frontend supervisor
Customer Service Representative, Front (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 1, 2016
run all staff in the frontend. deal with money and customers. on the health and safety board of soebys st.vital. nothing of the job is hard for me causer nothing is hard for me. I love dealing with people
Positive work environment with friendly staff
Cashier/ Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
A excellent part time job that provides you with opportunities to learn and develop other skills that allow for growth in any position that you are in. Rewarding and satisfying work when dealing with customer service issues and other day to day tasks. A typical day consists of handling responsibilities such as dealing with large amounts of cash, respectively and efficiently ringing through customers and maintaining a clean and orderly workplace.
Pros
Friendly staff, Positive environment and satisfying work.
Cons
Can occasionally be strenuous on legs and back
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2016
This was my first job, and they hired me when I was just 13. I was given a lot of hours, and the training was very thorough. I worked in the produce department, so sometimes the lifting of the racks of food would be a little too heavy for me, but other than that, it was a great place to work.
Pros
lots of hours in the summer
Cons
heavy lifting
Great flexability and a lot of chances to improve
Meat Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 29, 2016
The work was the same on a regular basis. The environment was generally positive which encouraged the employees to strive to excel at each task. Overall, management is very understanding and constantly stress the importance of company standards.
Pros
Great hour flexibility
Cons
Energetic atmosphere with great co workers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 28, 2016
I liked opening up and being first on the cash register. The quiet before the busy day was really relaxing. But I will say that the hardest part of the job was standing up for hours when the lines wouldn't stop.
Pros
Two lunch breaks.
Cons
Standing on feet for long hours.
Productive and fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  1440 52 Street NeMay 27, 2016
It was a very good experience. This place has a great manager and coworkers, I really enjoyed working here. They made me feel comfortable and happy. They provide excellent training.
very fun place to work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tormore, ONMay 25, 2016
Sobeys is a very fun place to work, everyone is friendly, and they give you the days off that you need, Co-works are happy to help when you have a problem.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
Slow paced but easy going
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 25, 2016
My job at Sobeys was a very boring and repetitive job. Learned mostly about customer service. The individuals I worked with were very easy going but slow paced. I would like to work in a more fast paced environment to build my skills as a worker.