Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,362 reviews matching the search
Good for young part-time workers
Salad bar Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 June 2017
Not bad , they are good at training people. Job was very simple usually there were a few of us working at the same time so you have people to talk to which is always nice and if left alone it was easy enough and all the staff is helpful with any questions and concerns.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Hours and Pay Rate
it was a store
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 June 2017
I hoep the person reading these reviews enjoys his job, I'm typing stuff because I have to but it is not really required, see what happens when you make people do stuff that not required, they don't care, some days I want to hang my self because life is whatever
Employed for 25 years, great food, great company!
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2017
Worked here for 25 years. Things went downhill after Safeway Acquisition (well documented in the news).

I started with the company in 1991 at Horne & Pitfield Foods in Calgary as a Computer Operator on the mainframes in IT. Worked my way up to other various positions while the company was bought out by Oshawa Foods, Agora, and ultimately Sobeys.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Upper Management Strategy
Nice starting place for working
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 June 2017
Learned a lot from working here

Got a lot of work experience and fun place to work

Meet a lot of good people here

Job itself was fun and meeting new people
Will never be full time...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 June 2017
Hours are posted Thursday for the next week, one week at a time. Hours are all over the place - no "set hours" - they change every week. Pace is steady, so the shift goes fast.
Pros
Almost always get time off requests approved.
Cons
Bagging groceries is not my favourite thing to do. Customers can be SO particular.
positive place to work
Ala Carte Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2017
they supplied free lunches and holiday dinners for the staff which i thought was nice, and 10% off groceries the people I worked with were easy to get along with but the supervisor was not she was not fair with her staff
Pros
free lunches
Cons
supervisors were not friendly toward their staff
Retail is detail
INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC8 June 2017
Working in Sobeys was challenging. "Retail is detail" is a common phrase and one they are proud of. I would work there again given the opportunity and attractive rates.
Management was completely unorganized
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Laird, ON6 June 2017
Before I left Sobeys, in the month of February the month before i didnt get paid for 6 weeks, it was becoming increasing difficult to pay for my school supplies and when I would let one of the supervisors know he reassured me he will let one of the ladies that handles hours to put in my respective shifts and that did not happen until i told him about my financial issue.
Life at Sobeys
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON5 June 2017
Dedicated to providing quality food and products to their customers.
My typical day as a manager is very busy but productive and rewarding.
I have learned many skills within the company as I have had the opportunity to grow my skills through working in different departments and taking on new skills such as management.
My management team is supportive and knowledgeable.
The hardest part of my job would be working during the holiday seasons. Retail is in big demand at these times.
The most enjoyable part of my job is making people happy and celebrating in their special life events
Pros
learning opportunities, food share, providing quality food choices for customers
Cons
Long hours, holiday demands
Cool benefits, rewarding work
ReadyCuts Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 June 2017
You have to be on your feet for the whole shift aside from breaks, but we do have antifatigue mats. A typical day at work is following health and safety standards, meeting customer requests, making tray orders, cleaning our workplace, making sure the case display is filled. Lots and lots of cutting produce.

I really love how every department has its own progress board where we can see the result of our hard work. It pushes us to want to do better. We also have really nice co-workers. Management is smart and kind.

I love working at a grocery store because I can save commute money on buying groceries. The store is also nice to work in because its very pretty. Helping a customer is always exciting. I wish there was an employee discount or rewards program for purchasing groceries here. I also look forward to excelling my career further with Sobeys.
Pros
Working at a grocery store means you can shop after work, employee lounge room has a tv and free tea and water, and theres a basket where people put things that can be taken for free to go home, productive but not stressful atmosphere, employee assistance line, Employee Purchase Programs
Cons
No employee discount on sobeys itself, can't take food thats been scanned out as waste home, cutting turnips is dangerous, sometimes management can be intimdating
It helps you save for school, but they expect you to live there
Al La Carte & Deli Employee (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB5 June 2017
Though most of my fellow coworkers were fun to work with and easy to get along with, management was unreasonable and impossible to please.

When first interviewed, they told me school would be first priority, however this did not prove to be the case. It was expected that you come in to sub when ordered (not asked) and extra curricular activities were also expected to be shoved aside (band, soccer, youth group).

Insensitivity to personal struggles and family was a common theme, as well as inability to empathize - which made for a very unstable work environment. At one point we had an employee take their own life, and no counselling or discussion was encouraged - it was expected that we keep working as usual.
Pros
great coworker environment
Cons
poor management, unreasonable demands
Enjoyable job for students
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Clair Beach, ON5 June 2017
I worked part time at Sobeys as my first job. Nothing was overly difficult and the people there are understanding when working with new workers, as a lot of the staff there are part time workers, especially students. I enjoyed my time at Sobeys.
Productive and fast paced environment
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB4 June 2017
Staff are treated fairly and trained to succeed, high quality and good safety standards. Efficiently run, great coworkers, given the tools to succeed, customer service excellence.
Slow and painful or Fast and painful
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 June 2017
The work is often times very slow, with the periodic rushes.When it is busy there is often no help.the job consists of Standing and doing nothing mostly
Pros
Food in break room
Cons
Manger is very rude, talks bad about all coworkers
Minimal room for advancement
Deli Clerk, Administration Clerk, Front End Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB2 June 2017
Although it is possible, very few positions are full time. I was fortunate enough to be able to get a full time position my last year there. Wages are decent, but being full time only increase my wages by $0.15/hr and I was at the cap.
good place to work
Cashier, Florist, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 June 2017
i have worked here for five years and as long as you do your job its a great place to work. i have worked as a cashier, and deli clerk. the people are friendly
Pros
always free food in lunchroom
Fun first job
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2017
Busy workplace. Taught me how to manage my time properly, in order to keep up with the demands of a bust store in a busy area. Friendly staff made the experience unforgettable.
Pros
Safe learning environment.
Awesome management
Deli Clerk produce cutfruit (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB31 May 2017
Best store I ever worked for it was like belonging to family great atmosphere loved going to work every day was always told I did a great job wish we still had a sobeys back I so miss working for the great management that ranbthe store never any stress
productive
Team member/EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 May 2017
good environment to work
good culture
effective management
effective workplace
fun working
helpful employees
leaned a lot of things which are helpful in daily routine
Pros
discount
Cons
burden
co-op
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON26 May 2017
a very fun place to met a lot of new people and everyone is very nice and fun to work with everyone always has smile on there face and there are always happy
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
nothing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.