Sobeys Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
No Complaints
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2014
Pros: everything was great!
Cons: standing for long hours can be painful
Loved working at sobeys, neat and clean and a great staff! But everyone knows standing for long hours can be tough, and that would be my only complaint
Sobeys is a good company to work for.
Meat Manager / Meat Cutter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 26, 2014
Sobeys is a very flexible company with good benefits and room for advancement.
Fast paced rewarding work.
Meat Cutter (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2014
Great benifits, good people. There are good opportunities for growth, opportunities to work in other departments, or even other stores. Company is now nation wide with the aquisition of the Safeway chain out west.
Productive and fun environment for working
Customer service clerk (Current Employee), ajax ontarioMarch 22, 2014
Working for this company has taught me that working hard does not always have to be dreadful and dull. I have learned to stock and prepare multiple food items, while building on my organizational skills sorting and placing products on food shelves. Cash handling experience obtained from being a cashier/bagger.
sobeys
Cashier (Former Employee), moncton , nbMarch 19, 2014
it a fun environment to work in. Manager and staff are awesome.
Great entry level experience
Retail Accounting Co-op (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2014
- Accommodating management
- Worked with numerous levels of management
- Friendly co-workers always willing to help you out
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray AlbertaMarch 18, 2014
Pros: loved the people i worked for and the job was very busy but a lot of fun
I was the first to arrive in the morning. I would set up our work station, take temperature checks and pull expired product.
I would then fill the cream desserts display, do show case cakes for last minute customers and then move onto orders. I did bar cakes and specialty items for holidays.
Multiple positions to work
Deli Customer Service, Counter Clerk (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: not enough hours
I learned how to manage different positions.
Management was very minimal.
Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to interact with customers in person.
overall good place to work
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONMarch 18, 2014
friendly environment
lifting daily shipments can be difficult
Friendly employees and very good customer service
Part Time - Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches, lots of job opportunity
Cons: busy constantly, lots of standing around
It was really nice being around people that I liked, and we were constantly keeping busy helping customers and other departments that the days would go by fast.

If you work the front end, you better have a good back and a nice pair of shoes, or else standing for 7 hours a day can really hurt!
Interacting with customers
deli clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2014
It was fun, interacting with customers, my co-workers were vey friendly. Everyone their had nothing to judge they would accept who a person is.The management was really good they would always get everything done on time. I had clean, slice meat, serve customers at a reasonable pace. Making customers happy was the best part of the job.
busy place precise clean
Meat Cutter (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 8, 2014
good team to work for short winter hours though
long days sometimes short
friendly costumers
good management did what they could to help you
lots of work to do to keep you busy
the best part of the job was you got to see the happy costumers walk away with a smile
the hardest part sometimes was completing all the daily tasks
labouer (Former Employee), fortmcmurrayMarch 6, 2014
able welding its a okay company to work for good paying job................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Sobeys
Customer Service Associate in Deli (Current Employee), Fonthill, ONMarch 4, 2014
Pros: get breaks and lunches
I've worked at Sobeys for over 5 years. I've very much enjoyed the work environment. It is a great part time job for students.
ok place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2014
Pros: worked on your own
Cons: non
Everyday you get trucks coming in with grocery items and you checked order to make sure nothing was missing then delivered to proper area of the store
Disappointing Experience
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2014
Pros: met some nice people, enjoyed training other staff, good benefits for full-timers
Cons: stress, demoralized staff, toxic environment
I was disappointed with Sobeys, found they misrepresented the position.

As a supervisor I was told that I would be a Coach and mentor both things I am passionate about. but in reality, the position was that of a strict policy enforcer and task master.

Seemed like there were staffing issues. Lots of people phoning in sick. Lots of complaining. Staff – more... were quite unpleasant to each other. – less
bowling
cashier (Former Employee), Regina, SKFebruary 28, 2014
When you first start your shift everyone greets you and feel very great about yourself and your work ethic, ("at customer service disk". this is a very good thing) But most of the time you will always find co-workers doing nothing hanging around customer service or standing around doing nothing like red line or using cellphone to text don't get me wrong – more... even at customer service desk they text as well. The tells are never cleaned and the garbages are always overfull. the stoke is very poor sometimes you can never find what you are looking for one minute they have it and another they don't.
About your co-worker they have a lot of very young co-workers in this industry that they do not know what they are doing or want to do nothing except for what they know best is texting or wishing they can be with their friends, and a young customer service gal well she thinks that she knows it all but we all know that she doesn't, and to young to sell lotto it does not matter how long you work for the company she can not be at customer service desk selling cigarettes or looto intel she is 19 years of age you massell hire a children.
We dont have any problems with any managers may be one or two but that normal for this industry.
benefits, oh they have benefits you have 5 or 6 month to call in. If don't you have to wait til next year. the most enjoyable part is jest standing there doing nothing at the til's looking bored as hell and not doing any thing that is my most enjoyable things ;) haahaaaah! – less
comfortable and enjoyable atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Angus, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Once you start working at Sobeys, most of your shifts fall into a pattern. Your number one priority is to help customers, don't make them wait for you. When you are not with a customer you are either helping a co worker by bagging or you can clean your station, do garbage or sweep. Many co workers are easy to get along with as well as supervisors. The – more... hardest part of being a cashier can be a frustrated customer or someone that is not particularly friendly, but if customers are in a good mood and you show you are, socializing with customers can be the best part, especially if they are regular customers because you really get to know them. – less

About Sobeys

Sobeys is the second largest food retailer in Canada, with over 1,300 supermarkets operating under a variety of banners. Headquartered – Read more