Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,392 reviews matching the search
Fun
Cashier, Cash-up, Lottery (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB13 July 2017
Fun environment with great pay and advencement. I would promote working here all day, when I worled there the store manager was not a very nice women but I belive shes gone now.
Great place for exceptional customer service practices.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chinguacousy, ON13 July 2017
Working at Sobeys is quite enlightening, you get to see how things are done within a grocery store. The staff are from all walks of life. Working on the Frontend, you get first-hand experience in practicing Great customer service skills. I have learned a lot about the Canadian Culture while working there.
Pros
Employee monthly discount.
Cons
Few hours.
Productive and fun workplace
Front-End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
Really good job experience worked and trained in every department. Loved working there.The people where good to work with and the management and well organized.
Great place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Bend, ON12 July 2017
Very stable environment always knowing what is expected of you. Short shifts which worked great for me but longer shifts were an option. Winter hours are less but still enough for a part time job.
Clean and organized store
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2017
A typical day working at Sobeys when I work in grocery is moving boxes of food from the back onto the shelves, and doing three to four hours of facing per shift to ensure the store looks Organized and approachable for the consumers. When I am a cashier I stand in front of my till until I have a customer to I look welcoming and ready to provide her/him with great service. I normally ask if they have found everything they needed, if they have air miles and how their day is going.
I learned for grocery everyone has to work together, if another employer comes in and does not do her/his job facing or puts items in the wrong place it makes the overall job more difficult, not allowing for the organized and clean environment Sobeys has strived for.
The management is very welcoming and kind at Sobeys, the only problem I have is only getting two shifts a week, not making enough to pay for all my bills.
Pros
Flexible when I played Volleyball
Cons
Only two shifts a week
The workplace is good, but the management could be better
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON11 July 2017
This work place was good. However towards the end of my time working there the management froze me out of hours, i was lucky to get 3 hours in a week.
Deli is a great place to work if you want to be back in high school
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON11 July 2017
At first the job was good than after awhile the drama starts and management is right in the middle of it she loves to stir the pot and start things. Has her favourites which is understandable because some work harder than others, the problem is her favourites never have to follow the rules and mostly stand around doing nothing. You can't go to the Deli manager if you have a problem and you can't go to store manger either because they are all buddies and just talk behind your back. No professionalism what so ever.
Pros
Met some great people in other departments
Cons
Not many hours and to much drama for the pay
Fun
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB11 July 2017
I loved working here my bosses were awesome. It was by far one of my favorite places to work because the staff members were great and friendly. Management was always checking in with each department to see how production was coming and how their employees were feeling that day. I honestly, really miss this job.
Pretty decent entry job
Produce Clerk (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 July 2017
working at safeway in particular was fun for an entry level job, with great benefits and wages, the hours can be a bit unpredictable in consistency and some managers aren't the most agreeable
Pros
room for upgrading and good first level stuff
Cons
hours are a bit unpredictable
Fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 July 2017
Coming to work every day never felt like work. Great staff better customers. Lack of communication was the only issues. The managers should have more control over ta to day activities as opposed to corporate ideas.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Never replace call ins
family friendly
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2017
The store was orderly and the managers are very attuned to making sure their employees do their jobs well. customers are treated well with great importance and questions asked are answered in a timely manner with politeness.
Pros
free coffee and points card upon employment
Cons
long hours for low pay
Sobeys
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Claire Beach9 July 2017
Great place to work at, has a break room with a tv in it. Located in a great and safe area and the employees are very friendly and inviting to new and old coworkers.
Review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS8 July 2017
Long hours, very stressful. Always busy. co-workers were very friendly. The hours of the day always seem to go fast. Loved working there, had to leave for personal reasons.
Overall great place to work, some employees were very disrespectful toward others, but work area was clean, organized, and I had lots of space to work
Produce distribution technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2017
Every morning we pulled the expired goods off of shelves, did spot checks, and disposed of expired goods promptly in the compost bins in the warehouse. Rest of the day was spent making salads/ veggie trays/ fruit trays and other veggie and fruit assortments. I loved connecting with customers and making them happy with whatever they needed.
Pros
Sampling new product
Cons
Disrespectful coworkers
Great daily work environment, excellent position for a people person
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba6 July 2017
A typical day at work for a cashier would be to be assigned a till for that particular shift, and interact with the customers as you process their transactions. Bagging groceries and handling specific customer requests are also something one would occur on a regular basis. I've gained more customer service skill. The management is amazing, very friendly and able to work around one's personal schedule.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Excellent staff, ultra poorly run company
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 July 2017
Job itself is fun but repetitive, especially with the upper management (head office), who has no sense of reality but face stacks of papers and numbers and figures from a cubicle office daily making senseless decisions and then scrap everything a few months later with another project, and repeat, and repeat...for the last 16 years I have been there.

The only saving grace this company has, and ever really had, was the employees themselves. Treat employees with dignity and maybe this company will see the light at the end of the tunnel, so far...pitch black
Pros
people working with
Cons
company, culture, management, failed projects (48 so far and counting...)
Productive, Always busy
Grocery/Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2017
Workdays could go from dull and boring to fast paced within an hour.
Managent was good up until i left, didn't agree with the new one that was taking over.
Co-workers were good for the most part, a lot of drama and gossip
Pros
good co-workers. Good managers
Cons
rarely a raise
Pay incentives
Case picker, pallet jack driver, temporary, Whitby (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 July 2017
It was a good place to work if you just want to get in and get out. There is a pay incentive to work faster. The faster you work the more you make. Its unionized.
Pros
benifits
Cons
dirty
Thoroughly unpleasant first retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 July 2017
I enjoyed no part of working here. Working here has only led me to sincerely hope that I can avoid working in a large corporate retail job for the rest of my career if this can be managed.
Pros
Easily obtainable job, free cooking classes
Cons
Unpleasant work environment, does not allow employees to sit during full shifts at cash despite no logical reason behind this
Enjoyable place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 July 2017
This place is a good place to work at. Despite the different departments, most workers throughout the building are extremely friendly and willing to help out customers. The job isn't bad it's self, but customers can be a handful sometimes.
Pros
Cons
was always schedules weekends which sucked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval