Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,124 reviews matching the search
enjoy working there especially interacting with customers
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, AB26 November 2016
Always assisting customers.
How to be polite to customers and treat them with respect.
Very very nice management gets along with everyone just fine.
Sometimes lazy BUT eventually gets the job done.
Going to work after someone who doesnt care about their job.
Making customers leave with a smile on their faces.
Pros
free snacks and hot beverage always
Cons
8hr shifts
The place was alright at best
Meat Department (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB3 October 2016
Most days I was there just to clean. Get in start spraying everything down. Then soap everywhere, then spray it down again. Squeegee the floors. Then hand wash any smaller devices keep everything clean. I learned how to interact better with customers. I never got to talk to any management very often due to my shift always being night and my manager never working nights and the managers in other departments had no reason to talk to me. My coworkers were all really great and helped me out if I ever needed help. Whenever I finished cleaning I would help out other departments, I had permission to leave once cleaning was done but I'd stay and help out elsewhere when I could. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the smell, the meat would all go into a drain which very commonly got backed up and when water broke the stagnating meat the rotting smell of meat would appear. The most enjoyable part was when I finished cleaning and I could focus on helping costumers and other workers because it felt so much more rewarding.
Pros
Sometimes the bakery would leave some food out in the break room if it was gonna go bad
Cons
The smell, only cleaning shifts
It was great
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK7 December 2016
Excellent work ethic
Good attention to detail, planning and scheduling, organizing, time management
Customer oriented
Ability to plan and organize in a self-directed manner
Strong communication skills; Written and Verbal, able to effectively relate to a wide range of people.
Experienced in staff training; ability to lead and direct others
Working knowledge of computers
Métis
sobeys
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 December 2016
i like it i just time for a new job my hours are getting cut and am look for a new job am good worker and i don't now why am getting my hours cut i love the people i work with i just don't like that my hours are getting cut
Pros
good people
Cons
hours getting cut
Aspiring and Fun stepping stone
Produce, Salad Girl (Former Employee) –  New Hamburg, ON1 August 2016
I did not work much since i was a young high school student focusing on my grades. I would come in bright and early, do some data sheets, and begin chopping fruits and vegetables for the salads in produce. Not only did i chop fruits and salads, i made a variety of different healthy snacks, such as: Lunch packs, taco dip's, broccoli casserole, and prepared stir fry vegetables mixes. The work was time sensitive causing me to work fast and create a quick day. I took an hour for lunch. The hardest part of the job would have been keeping up with the busy pace of the customers enjoying my products; once a product purchased it needed to be replaced by myself. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been to learn so many different healthy alternative ways to eat.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
very productive place
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  7704 30st SE Calgary6 October 2016
Good place to work,there is always work and at time lots of overtime, also steady work year round, great work environment,automated machinery to make work easier, quite satisfied with management and co-workers, overall good place to work.
Pros
year round work no layoffs
Cons
hours
Productive and fast paced work environment.
Cashier/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB23 March 2016
A typical day at Sobeys includes a good team effort to maintain the produce department and checking for quality constantly. Keeping the produce department as organized and tidy as possible for a better shopping experience for customers. Providing excellent customer service and answering any questions customers have to the best of my knowledge. I have learned great customer service skills through this company and how to be an active team member. My customer service skills have become exceptionally better by working for Sobeys. Management at Sobeys is organized and are always looking out for their employees. Co-workers are friendly and work well as a team. Everyone pulls their weight and does their absolute best to make sure the department is well maintained, as well as the produce back shop. Other departments work together to create an all around friendly, upbeat work environment. The hardest part of working for Sobeys is issue they have with staffing. The produce department is incredibly under staffed which would put stress on those working especially when the day got busy. The most enjoyable part of working for Sobeys would be the people. Even on the bad days the staff would all come together as a team and work to the best of their ability. It is a big family atmosphere.
Pros
Staff sample days, pay raise every 500 hours, yearly bonus.
Cons
Under staffed, no full-time positions offered.
Productive and fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON8 April 2016
There is always plenty of things to do and it is a great place to work. Management is always available and care about you as a person
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
No benefits for part time work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 December 2016
Work was boring
You learn things based on looking around you and what kind of workplace your in
Management wasn't the greatest because they allow some workers to be slobs
some coworkers was nice in a way they make you smile on such dull day
Having to do other coworkers job while they go enjoy themselves
It was not enjoyable
Pros
bad behaviors
Cons
friendly people
Occasional work as a high school student
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
Stocked produce department and maintained stock area
I never got to work with people and I would prefer to be around others
The hardest part of the job was keeping up on busy days because I was by myself
It was also had to do the exact same thing every day
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
no benefits
great place to work for those with finite means
CASHIER (Grocery Clerk) (Current Employee) –  vancouver bc10 July 2016
As an employee with about 15 to 20 years to offer and advanced in age, I am one of those with finite resources to offer an employer. If you were a highschool student or working student or perhaps someone of limited financial resources this is a great place to start a career. Limited by the collective agreement, the managers are agreeable and flexible, a bit too modern for me, and very forgiving. Today like all of Canada for the last 20 years, it is focused on providing equal opportunities to women, even if they are students who will very likely leave in one to five years, should they complete their education. Tolerance is perhaps key, and willingness to provide service. If you have unlimited means, you will see fault everywhere. The turnover will likely discourage you. And of course any or all of the above will temper your view.
Pros
tolerant environment, union, flexible scheduling
Cons
no clear path for advancement.
good place to work for
Retail Accountant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 February 2017
nice people. good management. pleasant group environment. good location. flexible hours to work with. No stress. Good pay rate to start and end.
Not the greatest time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Acton, ON2 March 2016
Working at Sobeys was great at first, I met some really great people. After working at Sobeys for a year I decided to quit. I was asked to be a supervisor with no raise and other workers were being paid more than me and doing less, I didn't find that fair.
Pros
great people
Cons
not fair
Great job to start
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB3 January 2017
Long days but very flexible hours. Great management. I recommend this job to students or someone who needs to make extra money on the side.
Fun work place at most times sometimes very challenging
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2016
A typical day at work included serving customers, lots of cleaning and sometimes included paperwork. When it came to serving customers it included interacting with the customers and slicing the deli meat to their expectations. This was my first job so i gained lots of experience working with the public and how to deal with a high stress environment. My favourite part of the job would probably be getting to work with my coworkers everyday. I made some of my best friends working there. The most challenging part of the job was when my main manager resigned and my assistant manager was put in charge in the mean time, i was a senior in the department and took over the responsibilities of the assistant. In the end i resigned because i was able to get full time at another job and they were unable to give that to me.
Productive and fun place to work
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
very fast passed job, customers are in high demand for produced goods. management needs to work on letting you the time off when necessary. Hardest part of the job I would say cleaning out the coolers for the vegetables.
Pros
8 hours a day
Cons
management is rough on employees
Fast Work Fun , Something You can take enjoyment out of working.
Forklift Operator Wear House (Former Employee) –  Debert, NS9 August 2016
Building Pallets and driving the fork lift or pallets jacks , you had to pick count on a week base overall count from your five days of picking pallets for stores. Management Was pretty good overall other then head office which didnt really see the work that was being done and how well. The Hardest part of the job was trying to push your own numbers trying to show that you can pick the best numbers in the plant.
Pros
Bounces if trucks were done on time or early
Cons
If people were slacking and bring down every ones numbers
Safe, fun environment, and Great staff
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
Every morning the employees would sign in at the start of their shift. Than we grab a power jack or fork lift next we start on our work orders. There is always a supervisor on the floor or the main desk in the warehouse is always open for questions and help. Work in the warehouse is enjoyable the hardest part is keeping up with delivering orders on time. I like to finish my orders on time and I like working under low supervision.
Easy work environment
Cashier/Bagger (Carts) (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON30 June 2016
I currently work for Sobeys, and I can say that it really isn't that bad of a job. The jobs I do are very easy, I just have to move quick. My co-workers are amazing people! I don't think I have ever worked with such great people in my life! I don't agree with some of the policies that upper management has for us, but these policies are put in place so that we ensure the customers have no complaints. This makes my job a little harder, but its nice to see the smile it puts on the customers face. The store managers are great and aren't hard on you. If you do your job right, and don't mind picking up a shift here and there, they can be very flexible with your hours. Overall, I have no major problems with this place and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Rude customers
Productive, fun place to work
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 November 2016
Always something to do, good customers, was fun working with flowers, worked on my own a lot(I personally didn't mind), was therapeutic at times. Management was nice and friendly, however they are the sole reason for my departure. You're in water a lot, your hands are frequently cold, you have dirt under your nails almost always.