Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,037 reviews matching the search
good place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
i really enjoyed working here while i was in high school! they were very good with scheduling me around my school and they really support people getting there education. everyone in my department got along really well and it was always fun! management is also really good! the store manager i had was really involved and actually got to know everyone who worked in the store and was always there to help when needed. the pay isn't that great and you don't get a raise very often but overall i really enjoyed working here
Pros
ALWAYS samples in lunch room, nice staff
Fun work place at most times sometimes very challenging
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2016
A typical day at work included serving customers, lots of cleaning and sometimes included paperwork. When it came to serving customers it included interacting with the customers and slicing the deli meat to their expectations. This was my first job so i gained lots of experience working with the public and how to deal with a high stress environment. My favourite part of the job would probably be getting to work with my coworkers everyday. I made some of my best friends working there. The most challenging part of the job was when my main manager resigned and my assistant manager was put in charge in the mean time, i was a senior in the department and took over the responsibilities of the assistant. In the end i resigned because i was able to get full time at another job and they were unable to give that to me.
Terrible Store Manager
Baker (Former Employee) –  St. Clair Beach6 September 2016
Sobeys may seem like a good place for a starter job, but it isn't ideal for a full career. Without a Union, the employee is subject to termination at any point for bogus reasons. In my case I was terminated for reasons made up by the Store Manager. When I attempted to appeal my dismissal, the Store Manager did nothing.
Pros
easy hire
Cons
low pay, poor management
Good people, Hard work, Bad managment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON5 September 2016
A typical day at work at Sobeys would be. Arrive and punch in, go to my department and check for a list that my manager would have left for me. Often times my manager wouldn't leave me anything. We'd fill up the floor and then receive the order for the day. then we would clean till the end of our shifts. On this job I learned Tricks on how to make vegetables look fresher. The management sucked. My manager was a never around and never pushed us to work harder. The store manager was mean person he was never satisfied he'd tell us to work on something that didn't need working on and then yell at us for letting other stuff go down. My co-workers were really good people i had a very good time getting to know them. The hardest part was unloading big orders, our cooler was pretty small and our orders were generally big so it made unloading pretty difficult and stressful. The most enjoyable part was getting to know everyone they were good people i still keep in touch with even though I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Early 6am shifts
fun and loving place to work
Seafood Manager (Current Employee) –  Conception Bay South, NL5 September 2016
Working as a seafood manager is an amazing experience. I love working for sobeys, its like one big family there. Their os many pros and cons with working with sobeys.
Pros
staff are willing in work with your schedule
Cons
if a worker calls in sick having to stay late
My experience
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2016
My coworker - the cashiers - were all happy to be there, quite funny and hard working. Overall, I enjoyed my time at Sobey's.
Pros
i got money
Cons
i lost my job
Great place for a first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK3 September 2016
A typical day consisted of bagging groceries, sweeping the floor, cleaning up dropped product and restocking shelves. Management was great, the store operated smoothly.
Good place to work!
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 September 2016
Co-workers are helpful
It is friendly environment to work in.
Typical busy days so time pass fast.
Working in Sobeys was a constant learning experience, meeting new faces, understanding who was who and being attentive was the absolute priority.
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SK2 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
productive and on the go work place
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB31 August 2016
bagging groceries, collecting carts and baskets. co-workers are friendly and hard-working, the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and talking to customers. hardest part of the job is dealing with the busy times because sobey's gets busy at different times throughout the day.
Pros
you would get free food in the lunch room occasionally
Cons
shifts are hard to get
n/a
Customer Service/Deli Operations (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 August 2016
I am just looking for a new job. There is no review for Sobeys as theyve asked not to give reviews. It has asking me for more info about the company but i cant give my input. Ill just say I am a very hard worker and my goals are to extend by skills by learning new things. I am very punctual, hardworking and v
ery into completing goals that i set or are set for me.
Helpful and dedicated staff
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2016
challenging busy environment to ensure work is done on time.

Co-workers were their to help in every way to run the flow of work smoothly.

Minimum supervision working night shift.
First Job
Part-time bakery clerk (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB28 August 2016
Perfect job for a teenager starting out, good hours wage was reasonable at the time of employment. Was expected to finish duties in a timely matter which was manageable.
Just a typical minimum wage job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2016
The overall work was ok, but the store managers were inadequate with their people skills. They treat their employees with no respect and value. But taking them aside, the overall experience was great.
unorganized
Deli customer service (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON17 August 2016
Manager was never around when needed, procedures would change all the time with out being notified. Other employees would wander around.
Great learning experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Paris, ON16 August 2016
As Sobeys being my first form of employment, I was not only shown basic cash and customer service skills but gained knowledge on working for a large company and the positions within. With food safety being the main priority I was taught extensive cleaning and safety measures. I have had the pleasure of serving small town clientele that are usually a lot more amicable and courteous which results in an overall pleasant work experience.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Limited room for growth
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB16 August 2016
A typical day at work was standing around, ringing peoples groceries through. I learned some important social skills and how to multitask more easily. Management was friendly and taught me well. I got along with most of my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was probably when the sore was bus and I either ran out of bags or the computer froze. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiling, satisfied customer leaving the store.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 August 2016
cashier

i would scan items in order for people to pay for them and handle cash at various times throughout my shift. When there was a break in a rush we would have to clean our areas and invite people to come to our checkout.

The co workers were nice and fun to work with, but the managers were tolerable and i listened to them every time they gave orders, they were just not nice at many times
Pros
good work environment
Cons
I have worked here for many years and I enjoy the job.
Office Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 August 2016
This job has helped me to grow as a person. I started this job at a very young age and it has helped me to develop customer service skills. This job has also helped me to become the reliable hard working person I am today.
Pros
flexible work place.
Cons
hard work place to move up in.
Fast Work Fun , Something You can take enjoyment out of working.
Forklift Operator Wear House (Former Employee) –  Debert, NS9 August 2016
Building Pallets and driving the fork lift or pallets jacks , you had to pick count on a week base overall count from your five days of picking pallets for stores. Management Was pretty good overall other then head office which didnt really see the work that was being done and how well. The Hardest part of the job was trying to push your own numbers trying to show that you can pick the best numbers in the plant.
Pros
Bounces if trucks were done on time or early
Cons
If people were slacking and bring down every ones numbers