Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Friendly work environment
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMay 17, 2016
- Hardest part of the job was the night shift hours. Adjusting my sleep schedule to work during the night and sleep during the day.
- A typical day at work included driving an End Rider through the aisles, loading the product onto the pallets only then to wrap it up and load it onto the dock.
Pros
Friendly, down to earth co-workers
Cons
Vocalect device did not function consistently well
easy job
Admin/ Seafood clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 16, 2016
dealing with customer everyday makes the job exciting, make a customer happy brings great joy. Some manager are easier than other to work for and co workers make it fun place to be
Experience at Sobey
Bakery (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
My experience at Sobeys wasn't that good. I didn't get a lot of hours, wasn't a very nice environment to be around. I did learn a lot like how to deal with difficult situations, how to close...etc. My co-workers were all rude and would talk behind everyone's back. The hardest part of my job would've been trying to make donuts perfect. And, the most enjoyable was working with cakes and lots of nice costumers.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
No hours
Good place for your first job
Cashier/Courtesy worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 11, 2016
Sobeys is a great place to break into the working world, the work gets quite repudiative. Otherwise a great place to enter the work force and gain experience.
Pros
simple, great starter job
Cons
repudiative, mentally draining work
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEMay 11, 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Corporate Great, Franchise Bad
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 11, 2016
Sobeys was a fantastic place to work and shop, as many customers were happy to tell but went downhill with franchising .
Coworkers were fantastic, management became frazzled trying to please the owners. The repeat customers were wonderful and validating where ownership lacked.
Pros
Corporate ownership
Cons
Franchising, Micromanaging
Fun, fast paced environment, well managed
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 9, 2016
Sobeys Inc. has been a very enjoyable work place. A typical day at work requires me to be on the floor 10 minutes before my scheduled time to be sure that I'm prepared for my day. I must have a pen and a clean work station as well as to be dressed appropriately. I serve countless people in the run of a day(which is typically between 6 and 8 hours). I have learned many techniques for problem solving. My management makes sure that we have monthly meetings to discuss progress and problems and to make sure we are all on the same page and come up with solutions. My co-workers and I all get along wonderfully and we always try to help one another when need be. It is an amazing work environment to be in. The hardest part of my job is most definitely trying to cope with the elderly customers we get who are beginning to suffer from dementia. It hurts to watch them struggle to remember their bank information. The most enjoyable would probably be the general contact I have with the public. I very much so enjoy polite conversation.
Ok
Produce Clerk, Cashier, Courtesy Staff, Janitor (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 9, 2016
I am over it and need something that is engaging and not boring or pays better. That's it, That's all, had fun and need to move on now.
Team Lead
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Awesome place to work. Provided help and customer service. Managed team of 10 to complete renovations. GReat place to work. Amazing people to work with.
amazing company, workers who care, opportunities to try new food
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 9, 2016
You are always trying new food, learning about the job, how to deal with a returned item, seeing regular customers and being able to make customers happy to try new food.
Pros
taste testing on new products.
Cons
standing in one position for a long period of time.
It was a blast!
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2016
Busy hours like lunch time and dinner time will drain you out but if you enjoy talking and getting to know your customers, it can be a great experience and it makes the time go by fast. Scheduling is always two weeks ahead so make sure that when you book off, book off as early as you can. Changes in management during my time there made policies and routines all messed up but it worked out well and is still in the process of stability.
Productive and fast-paced working environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NSMay 6, 2016
Sobey's is a great place to work, especially the staff and managment. There is always a lot of production to be completed, as well as constant interaction with other customers and co-workers. There is always room for advancement in management, but it does take quite some time to get to a higher level. The hardest part about the job, would have to be a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoy the people I work with, as well as meeting new people every day. It gives me an experience to interact with others, as well as gain personal skills.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Work Place
Cashier and Selfserve Operator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 6, 2016
I very much enjoy this job, however the management can be very unfair and favorable. After months of asking I have seen other people being trained on the position I have wanted and have not been told a reason as to why I cannot be trained. My days are usually very enjoyable, even when there is a problem with a customer my supervisors are always there to help me if I need it. My coworkers are great, they are pretty much my second family outside of the work place. They are also very helpful whenever I need them at work. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping customers. Overall for a part time job, it has been very great!
Pros
Great Coworkers, very accepting of time off when needed
Cons
management is not fair
Clean friendly environment
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 5, 2016
Sobeys is an excellent company to work for part time. The management is fantastic and the work environment is very pleasing.
Professional environment that requires the ability to work independently
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2016
Typically, shifts varies between 6 to 8.5 hours long. During this time, the main responsibility consists of the restocking of fruits and vegetables (as well as other products such as salad dressings, juice, etc.) at the front as required. Additionally, the cleanliness of the front must also be maintained, which requires an hourly check for debris on the floor, and (if needed) sweeping. Additionally, around 7:00 p.m., certain vegetables must be trimmed (as to prepare the vegetable for stocking tomorrow). These vegetables mainly include lettuce and celery. Lastly, for evening shifts, the produce worker is responsible for closing. This includes the retrieval of the vegetables at the to the storage cooler, and the cleaning of the storage cooler and the kitchen area.
In general, the work is enjoyable. Since the work often demands the employee to work independently, a strong sense of accomplishment is derived from successfully managing the produce section of the store.
Pros
Work procedures are relatively easy to learn
Cons
Long hours, which may interfere with schoolwork during the school year
sobeys
GROCERY CLEARK (Current Employee) –  Bradford West Gwillimbury, ONMay 4, 2016
well working at Sobeys was your classic grocery store where I would stock shelves and receives trucks. But like all part time jobs its not a real job and i would like to find something in the electrical field
great place to work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMay 2, 2016
great place to work and has helped me improve my communication and customer service skills. the most enjoyable part is doing a good job and helping out customers
Inconsistent work load and lack of motivation
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
As a part-timer, I had all the responsibilities of a full-time employee and was rarely given acknowledgement for my work that is required to motivate an employee to perform to the best of their abilities. Though my direct manager was a positive point of my employment, upper management had a negative attitude to the overall work atmosphere
Fun place to work with great employees
Sobeys Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 1, 2016
Great store to work especially if you are trying to build customer service experience. Hardest part is fitting time to do all your tasks because some days are busier than others.
Cons
No employee discount.
Good first time job
DELI CLERK (Current Employee) –  Brighton, ONApril 29, 2016
Easy first job for students, pays minimum wage, good hours generally depending on skills, some poor management in certain sections
Pros
Easy hours
Cons
Low pay