Sobeys

Sobeys Employee Reviews

Sobeys - 4/5 stars
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Acton, ONOctober 1, 2015
Sobeys isn't a bad place to work. I enjoy most of the people that I work with. It has it's good and bad days. I've learned how to Supervise a fair amount of people at once usually 5-10 people each shift, Balancing the tills at the end of the night and making sure that safe is balanced every shift.
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Standing long hours, no employee discount
it was a job
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville AB.September 30, 2015
Second job i ever had was pretty good but monotonous and boring just doing the same thing every day, stocking shelves, helping customers, and pushing carts.
great for a first job
Cashier and courtesy clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 29, 2015
this was great for my first job, the location could have been more convenient, however i stayed there for 2 years. I wanted to do something else because a friend of mine passed away there and eventually wasn't the setting i wanted to be around.
Lots of conflict, management was messy
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioSeptember 29, 2015
The employees were relatively nice but the management was very strict and quite incompetent. Schedules were generally very messy and had to be adjusted often
Pros
Lots of shifts
Cons
Management was inadequate
Productive people to work with
Sront end supervisor (Former Employee) –  WestlockSeptember 28, 2015
Sobeys was an excellent company to work for. Great opportunities for advancement. Most co-workers were easy to get a along with.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No benefits
Decent temporary job
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 17, 2015
An average day at Sobeys involved mopping floors, taking care of carts, maintaining the washrooms, cleaning staff room, and various other cleaning tasks. Unfortunately for me I am a very hard worker, so i would get 6 hours worth of work done in 2 hours, instead of a positive response from the supervisors I would get snarled at to get back to work and stop being lazy. This was ultimately why I quit, total lack of respect and no recognition for my work. Other than the bad the people I worked with were what made me stay for as long as I did, it's a positive environment when you aren't being harassed by your superiors.
Pros
Co-workers.
Cons
Supervisors, customers.
Review
Night Clerk (Former Employee) –  simcoe, onSeptember 15, 2015
A typical day of work would require me as well as the rest of the night crew to receive and spread the product, put the product up and face the store as well as many other things. I didn't see much of the management because I worked nights but the managers that i did see were pleasant. I really enjoyed the company of my co workers and the hardest part of the job was it being nights.
Pros
Gained knowledgeable experiance
Cons
Night shift
friendly, welcoming work environment
Front end cashier/ Floral clerk (Current Employee) –  allistonSeptember 14, 2015
fun and enjoyable but professional workplace.
Caring and supportive co-workers and management.
Great employee appreciation, very welcoming and friendly staff.
Managers are very friendly and very personable, they do not make you feel of any lesser importance based on your job title.
overall I it is an excellent environment to work in with supportive co-workers that care about others and I'm never dreading going in for a shift.
great place to work
Cashier/customer service/Front-End supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Sobeys has been my favorite place to work, i hate seeing myself not working there any longer. They can only give you so many hours a week and that just wasn't good enough for me. Mangers are very nice and really funny, will be missing them the most.
good
CASHIER SOBEYS (Former Employee) –  Edson, ABSeptember 7, 2015
was a good place to work as long as u didnt have to live off ur wage but the bosses were good to work for. good co workers lots of tow gosip tills to short for tall people
Pros
good people
Cons
wage

Want to know more about Sobeys?

Ask a question
the work is fun but the company grinds you down
Bakery Manager/Head Decorator (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONSeptember 5, 2015
the only reason to stay was for the people but after new mngm took over it became dog eat dog as we all fought for hours. If you didnt like it find a new job. I would not recommend working for Sobeys if you want a full time job. Part time got away with everything. Full time is put on 6 month contracts and you have no job security. and dont complain or you can be gone just like that
Productive and ffun enviroment
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 5, 2015
professional work environment
fun people to work with
schedules are posted well in advance
willing to work around schooling and other jobs
Pros
make new friends
Cons
Keep to yourself and nice environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Angus, ONSeptember 2, 2015
It was nice , keeping to yourself and having the time to communicate and engage conversation with the customers. Always was a relaxing day.
Cons
Short shifts, no benefits
Porductive Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSSeptember 2, 2015
I enjoyed working at Sobeys. The management was excellent and I loved my coworkers. A typical day at this job would be scanning items, being friendly to all customers, and cleaning up before, after and during my shift.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
standing in one spot for extended amount of time
Straight forward workplace with many fun people.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Southbrook sobeys edmonton, AlbertaSeptember 2, 2015
Working at sobeys for the past 4years has been very enjoyable as a part time deli clerk the job expected of me was straight forward and not too difficult. The job taught me alot about how to handle customers, variety of products and the importance of knowledge of your product. The environment was very helpful and jolly to be around. The hardest part of the job I would say is the consistency to have knowledge on the products we do provide to cater to the needs of the customers. The most enjoyable part though is how fast the shift may go because the work isn't too difficult but passes time very quickly.
Pros
Sobeys coupons
Cons
repetitive job and sometimes long hours if not busy.
very good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PESeptember 1, 2015
I had a very good experience with their company as well as the management. They lead to improve my English skill and my comunication between people.
Good place to grow
Courtesy, Cashier, Supervisor, Cash Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 31, 2015
A good place to start and grow and develop skills and experience that will help you in the long run. Can be difficult but with some hard work and good friends it is an enjoyable place to work
Very productive place of work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NSAugust 30, 2015
Learned how to successfully please customers on a daily basic's with a smile on my face and making sure they left happy. All my co-workers with friendly and made my training process a lot easier.
Great place to interact with the community
Seafood Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 29, 2015
A typical day at Sobeys includes meeting and serving many different members of our community. Every one of those people has a different story and different needs. Getting to know these people was the best part of the job. The position involved a lot of heavy lifting(up to 75 lbs.) and although I had no problem with this, I would consider that to be the hardest part of the job. I was on the management team so I would have to say that we were a great team. We dealt with a lot of part time student employees and they stayed with us usually until they moved on the College or University so I guess they thought we were good to work with. We were like a large family here and I miss it.
Pros
Good pay, Family atmosphere. We were always busy
Cons
Location not good for sales.
produce clerk
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLAugust 25, 2015
hard work and fast paced, but working with some employees who harassed you when you worked with them made it hard for you to have a good day
Pros
helping customers
Cons
harassment from employees