Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,262 reviews matching the search
Decent, but no discount and poor management
Juice bar (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 April 2017
Sobeys is my first job which was fine in the beginning but I got sick of it really fast. My so called manager ignored my text concerning my work hours, wouldnt help me when people from work kept texting me, and tends to seem like hes annoyed with me every time i ask him a work related question. Nobody knew where the first aid kit was for the first few months of the store opening. I accidentily scraped my hand at work and one of the other managers didn't know where the first aid kit was either. A sink came apart as a fellow worker was using it and it shot water everywhere. The store is horribly managed in every way. I wouldn't suggest working here at all. At least not for very long.
Pros
Free wifi. Good break time. Generally nice people
Cons
Terrible management team. No discount. 5 piece uniform
Friendly Envirionment
Produce Associate (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON14 April 2017
Good management and modern environment with a variety of products. For holidays, the team of employees and managers would have a brunch provided by the staff members.
Pros
generous break times
Good workplace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB13 April 2017
Fast paste workplace, good hours, nice people to work with, good opportunities, I learned how to cook chicken and do trays, the most enjoyable part was the fun at work
Productive and nice place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stettler, AB12 April 2017
I am pleased with the work I have and the rest of my employees have done at Sobeys. My only concern was the people I worked with, not the company itself. I loved my time spent at Sobeys.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS11 April 2017
Days were long, 9 hours to be exact, i had only worked at the convenience store aspect of sobeys so overall i wouldnt go by just my review alone, however the whole structure of the company seemed stable at best, so 8/10 reccomend working for them
One of the worst jobs
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS11 April 2017
Micromanaged, no time to develop interpersonal relationships, repetitive, they don't recognize good customer service. Will never be a cashier again and especially not for sobeys .... seriously don't work there
Pros
food in the lunch room
People were very kind
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 April 2017
The people at Sobeys are always very kind. I can not say I have had a negative experience with any co-worker while being employed by Sobeys. Very healthy workplace.
It was a productive place to work
Deli Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2017
My job i work my typical day was prepared food like chicken and also served customers. I learned to being punctual doing all task timely fashion.My enjoyable part of my job is employee work co-worker amazing staff also customers. !!!!
productive and fun workplace
Store Front Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON10 April 2017
Sobeys is a fun and productive environment, always whiling to help customers with a smile on their face when needed. Sobeys is a like a big family always caring for others.
unsafe work enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB10 April 2017
I liked the customers and co workers but management is a big flop
customer service reps do not help and get paid to stand there when a rush comes there is no urgency present
Pros
old bakery goods in lunch room
Cons
management
I loved my job there very much.
Seafood Clerk, Baker, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 April 2017
Sobeys was a great place to work, minus the fact of hours and advancement. I was there for 10 years and would still be there if it weren't for the stores closure. They treated their staff very well and we all felt appreciated.
Productive and fun workplace with options of further improvement.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 April 2017
A wonderful workplace with an ever expanding cast of co-workers and learning. The salary may be a little dim but the overall experience from the store triumphs it all in the end.
Pros
Wonderful customers
Cons
No Discounts
Meh place to work.
Cashier and Fastlane Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 April 2017
Sobeys has a benefits program and a scholarship program which is awesome, I love how involved they are with their employees.
At the specific branch I am at there is a lot of gossip and people taking advantage of their "power position" unfortunately.
At first I was given a lot of hours but unfortunately now everyone only has maximum 3 shifts a week and they're still continuing to hire more people on in my department. If you are looking for a second job, this place is great, but don't rely on it as an only job.
Pros
benefits and scholarship programs. Very employee oriented
Cons
lots of gossip among cashiers, no hours
Was ok to work there
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 April 2017
i rang in customers groceries. dealt with some cranky ones. didn't work there long before i got put out on the smoke shop as i was pregnant and they didn't want me lifting heavy items.

smoke shop was a better environment and there wasn't a hole lot of cranky customers
Heavy Grocery lifting jobs with Challenging Time Constaints
Material Handler @ Sobey's Food Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 April 2017
Working at SOBEYS Grocery Warehouse Whitby, Ontario can be both challenging and rewarding. The heavy lifting jobs in the produce area means you have to be very healthy and have a strong back -as lifting heavy bags of onions and potatoes can be back breaking. The rewards of good pay and benefits are positive aspects of the material handling jobs - if you can handle the job pressures on a timely basis. Management could be more fair if they spread the work load out to all personnel fairly. Overall - good place to work, as pay and benefits outweigh the negatives!
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Good fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB7 April 2017
Sobeys is a good place to work. The people there are nice and friendly caring and they care about how u are doing if u are gaving prombles out side of work they dont just say dont bring ur drama to work they well talk to u if u need to and if you really need it they will do there best to give you some time to deal with it. Its good pay good hours not to many not to little. the only thing that i didnt like is that you say something it gets around the store within the hour people love there drama and to talk and talk but nothing is ever heald on to people let stuff go easily u can be mad have an agreement one day and the next day be fine.
Pros
Caring fun people, good pay, good hours
Cons
Drama spreads fast
Good
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 April 2017
A typical day working at Sobeys is constantly meeting customer needs for full satisfactory. Answering calls from other branches, employees, and placing phone orders. Making sure the department is tidy and presentable. Organizing stock, logs and inventory.
ok
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON6 April 2017
Average job as a cashier or customer service rep. solved customers problems, made returns, checked out grocery orders. owners and managers are nice and respectful.
Fun Workplace
MATERIALS HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 April 2017
Sobeys provided me with a fun work experience. I met great people and developed great relationships with individuals I still carry. Sobeys taught me and let me operate different machines that I was not very familiar with at first, but not am very comfortable to operate. Which was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Operating different machines
Cons
Very long hours
typical grocery store environement
Seafood Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
working at sobers would consist of opening in the morning, set up departmemnt at store standard, bring out product, inventory & provide customers with the information needed on what they wanted to purchase.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.