Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Good platform for students to start on, however...
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 24, 2016
The job is simple and straightforward. At certain times you would have to lift heavy boxes and pick up heavy items in order to clean. Job becomes mundane after a while since every day is pretty much identical with minimal change. Expect to clean a lot, meaning the entire facility. Management is not the best. Co-workers are much better than the management though, so there is solace in that.
Pros
Cons
mundane work
good benefits
commissary cleaner/ sanitation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2016
The department I worked in has friendly work atmosphere.
The supervisors are approachable and willing to help the workers.
The company gives good benefits to employees.
Great company to work for.
Customer Service - Bakery (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
Great company to work for. Flexible, quality, understanding, staff and management is great to work with and open door policy.
great place to work
Assistant Manager/ Store Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
great place to work, fun environment and good team members. management is always willing to help and teach and train all employees
It was a blast!
CASHIER/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2016
Busy hours like lunch time and dinner time will drain you out but if you enjoy talking and getting to know your customers, it can be a great experience and it makes the time go by fast. Scheduling is always two weeks ahead so make sure that when you book off, book off as early as you can. Changes in management during my time there made policies and routines all messed up but it worked out well and is still in the process of stability.
A Good Starting Point
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ONMarch 11, 2016
A normal day at Sobeys in the morning would consist of first, culling the floor and the wet case. Making sure that there are no bad products before the store opened to ensure quality. Then, scanning out each item using CAO to maintain correct inventory numbers, and finally scanning each product out with PeriScope and calculating shrink for the day. After that, it's maintaining the floor and approaching customers asking if they need help finding anything or if they are looking for something in particular.
Pros
Great people, plenty to learn.
Cons
Not much room for growth.
Experience at Sobey
Bakery (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
My experience at Sobeys wasn't that good. I didn't get a lot of hours, wasn't a very nice environment to be around. I did learn a lot like how to deal with difficult situations, how to close...etc. My co-workers were all rude and would talk behind everyone's back. The hardest part of my job would've been trying to make donuts perfect. And, the most enjoyable was working with cakes and lots of nice costumers.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
No hours
Good company, good benefits
Cash Office Supervisor/baker/cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBJune 14, 2016
I had a good 21 years at Sobeys. It was a good work environment for the most part. It was most definitely a good learning experience for me as it gave me a lot of computer, and customer service experience that has and will most definitely continue to benefit me in my life.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough full time positions available
Good company to work for
Grocery Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2016
I worked at Sobeys for 16 years
My job duties included:
Over seeing a staff of up to 45 people
Problem solving
Coaching / Counselling employee's
Ensured all orders were picked and shipped in a timely fashion
Corresponding with senior management helping to improve day to day productivity.
Pros
People
Cons
Not enough room for further growth
The Deli in Sobeys Kincardine is very nice to work at, everyone is friendly and teaches you anything you need to know. Our managers are the best!!
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kincardine, ONJune 14, 2016
I do anything from slicing meat, to sweeping the floor, washing dishes, opening meat, filling up salads and olives etc. Sometimes you don't always get along with everyone but you are a team and try and work things out.
Pros
easy to get to
Cons
not very clean
productive, self driven work ethic, personable staff, great hours
Stock Picker (Former Employee) –  Debert, NSJuly 15, 2016
very fast, hard working shift. as many or few hours as you want every week, above average pay rate, personable staff, and expectations of workers that was propotional to your time and position
Pros
fast paced, easy work, as much or as little interaction as you want.
Cons
late hours, moderately dangerous
Fun place to work, kept busy
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABMarch 2, 2016
I learned how to decorate cakes, slice bread, deal with the register, customers, and cleaning. I always had a job to do, and that's what I admired most about this job.
Cons
Needed a higher salary
Friendly work environment
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMay 17, 2016
- Hardest part of the job was the night shift hours. Adjusting my sleep schedule to work during the night and sleep during the day.
- A typical day at work included driving an End Rider through the aisles, loading the product onto the pallets only then to wrap it up and load it onto the dock.
Pros
Friendly, down to earth co-workers
Cons
Vocalect device did not function consistently well
Productive and Informative workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 15, 2015
fun workplace. open access to management. continuous changes to boost staff morale and make staff feel appreciated. Not a lot of fulltime positions and no benefits. Could barely get 20 hours/week here. Lots of support from supervisor. Family type feel in workplace
Pros
Friendly staff, first access to new products
Cons
few full-time positions, lack of solid job descriptions for some positions
Worked the front end in a busy location, with a high stress on customer service.
Inventory, and CAO for Front (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
I started off as a part time cashier for the front end. I was responsible for handling cash and delivering excellent customer service. I was then asked to work in the grocery department as well, doing CAO and inventory as well as working the floor.
Labour Intensive work
Sobeys Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBJuly 11, 2016
Driving a pallet jack and building pallets.

I learned how to driving 2 types of pallet jacks.

The management is exellect

All the coworkers are is pretty friendly and easy to get along with

The hardest part of the job is when people taking jokes too far.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people
I have worked here for many years and I enjoy the job.
Office Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 14, 2016
This job has helped me to grow as a person. I started this job at a very young age and it has helped me to develop customer service skills. This job has also helped me to become the reliable hard working person I am today.
Pros
flexible work place.
Cons
hard work place to move up in.
Sobey's
Supervisor/Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Sobey's provides a great work culture. The employees are extremely delightful, and the managers are very hands-on and appreciate the hard work employees do.
Pros
Managers make work hours flexible for post-secondary students !
Cons
No discount for employees
sobeys review
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
sobeys put me through a deep depression as i did not see any chance to move up further in the company and I slowly started to see my doctor, I am feeling alot better now and am willing to work at a job that doesnt require doing 3 jobs as i am only paid for one.
Pros
Cons
long hours, not enough break time
Inconsistent work load and lack of motivation
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
As a part-timer, I had all the responsibilities of a full-time employee and was rarely given acknowledgement for my work that is required to motivate an employee to perform to the best of their abilities. Though my direct manager was a positive point of my employment, upper management had a negative attitude to the overall work atmosphere