Sobeys Employee Reviews

great place with great co-workers
Support the physical activities associated (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONSeptember 14, 2016
it was a great place to work. fellow co-workers and mangement were very nice to work with and work for. The monthly lunches plus the summer picnics and xmas parties were great to attend. This company has so of the best equipment and state of the art tech to work with.
Pros
monthly lunches
Cons
weekend shifts always
Terrible Store Manager
Baker (Former Employee) –  St. Clair BeachSeptember 6, 2016
Sobeys may seem like a good place for a starter job, but it isn't ideal for a full career. Without a Union, the employee is subject to termination at any point for bogus reasons. In my case I was terminated for reasons made up by the Store Manager. When I attempted to appeal my dismissal, the Store Manager did nothing.
Pros
easy hire
Cons
low pay, poor management
Relatively nice place to work
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, ABJanuary 11, 2016
I was a cashier/supervisor. I rang people through the tills as well as searched for products that the customers couldn't find.

I learned proper money handling techniques as well as how to do a band deposit (final nightly deposits) as well as counting the safes.

The management is okay. The store is now independently owned and personally since then I believe the store has gone downhill.

Co-workers were good. Everyone has those people that you don't know how to deal with. You can't let those people bring you down and ruin your day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satifaction on people's faces when you come back with an item they were looking for, or the price is wrong on an item and you tell them its free or they get it for a discounted price.
Cons
Too much drama in the workplace.
customer service and the fast pace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
I would open and place tills / lottery
make sure my cashiers know their duties.
answer phone calls, deals with customer returns
open deliver boxes and merchandise the tills

management was strict and efficient

never had a hardest part of my job because I could over come it and learn from the experience

I enjoyed the environment and the friendly staff. So I was always looking forward to work.
Pros
The work experiment with co-workers and customers
Cons
The uniforms while being pregnant
Great staff & wonderful working environment.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBFebruary 18, 2016
Typical day involves making a wide array of baked goods, the demand of which varies from day to day along with specials/sales.

Learned management skills and customer relations.

Co-workers are great people who are always flexible and willing to help whenever needed.

Hardest part of the job would easily be trying to get a wide number of things baked with limited time & space.

Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the wonderful co-workers.
Pros
Flexible hours & friendly staff
Cons
Fair amount of heavy lifting
Good platform for students to start on, however...
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 24, 2016
The job is simple and straightforward. At certain times you would have to lift heavy boxes and pick up heavy items in order to clean. Job becomes mundane after a while since every day is pretty much identical with minimal change. Expect to clean a lot, meaning the entire facility. Management is not the best. Co-workers are much better than the management though, so there is solace in that.
Pros
Cons
mundane work
Cooperative Education
Co-op Placement in Bakery (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ONMarch 28, 2016
I did cooperative education in the sobey's bakery. A typical day was bagging breads, rolls buns, etc. I learned how to work the labeling machine and the bread slicers. Management was good but my co-works were alright. The hardest part of the job was trying to do things quickly without experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was bagging the baked products.
Pros
Volunteer Experience
Overall a good place to work.
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee) –  Saanichton, BCMay 17, 2016
Working with Sobeys was mostly a positive experience. In the beginning there were lots of opportunities to further personal development, but as time went on those opportunities became less and less. The environment provided a great team experience as well as excellent direct supervision. I learned a lot from my team members and supervisors.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Lack of leadership from execuative
fun work place
Grocery Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
i had my co op at school . I started 20 hours per week tuesday -friday
Each day I step in i start looking for expired items then i put food in freezers then they teach me about customer service for example i learned where every thing in the store was and learned the prices because if the customer ask where the eggs are for example there i the dairy isle .. they also taught me about organization skills and even the manger told me i was better than the staff
Pros
free coffee sometimes free lunches
Cons
20 hours week four hours a day
productive workplace
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Regina, SKSeptember 2, 2016
I enjoyed working at Sobeys in Calgary. I was there almost 2 years. I did not approve of some of the management whose behaviour was questionable.
When I would raise that concern with them, I felt that my voice was never being heard.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and customers
Cons
management could have used more professionalism
Great Company To Work For
Team Lead Article Resolution (Former Employee) –  Stellarton Nova Scotia CanadaAugust 3, 2015
Provides well for employees with compensation/training and benefits. I enjoyed problem solving and helping my stores get their issues resolved in a timely manner. My boss was very helpful and always open to my new ideas for maintaining the data I used to provide weekly reports for the category managers. I learned how to solve many types of issues in my job and I enjoyed working with my co workers on a daily basis.
Good company to work for
Grocery Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2016
I worked at Sobeys for 16 years
My job duties included:
Over seeing a staff of up to 45 people
Problem solving
Coaching / Counselling employee's
Ensured all orders were picked and shipped in a timely fashion
Corresponding with senior management helping to improve day to day productivity.
Pros
People
Cons
Not enough room for further growth
productive, self driven work ethic, personable staff, great hours
Stock Picker (Former Employee) –  Debert, NSJuly 15, 2016
very fast, hard working shift. as many or few hours as you want every week, above average pay rate, personable staff, and expectations of workers that was propotional to your time and position
Pros
fast paced, easy work, as much or as little interaction as you want.
Cons
late hours, moderately dangerous
Worked the front end in a busy location, with a high stress on customer service.
Inventory, and CAO for Front (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
I started off as a part time cashier for the front end. I was responsible for handling cash and delivering excellent customer service. I was then asked to work in the grocery department as well, doing CAO and inventory as well as working the floor.
I have worked here for many years and I enjoy the job.
Office Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 14, 2016
This job has helped me to grow as a person. I started this job at a very young age and it has helped me to develop customer service skills. This job has also helped me to become the reliable hard working person I am today.
Pros
flexible work place.
Cons
hard work place to move up in.
good work place, fun people
Deli Clerk/ala carte (Former Employee) –  Gimli, MBSeptember 22, 2016
It was a good job and im glad i got the opportunity to work there. Everyone was nice and was hard workers, and everyone did everything. i really liked how it was not the same exact thing every shift.
Pros
the breaks, employees, great work enviroment, workers are friendly
Cons
tight spaces in the department
Good company, good benefits
Cash Office Supervisor/baker/cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBJune 14, 2016
I had a good 21 years at Sobeys. It was a good work environment for the most part. It was most definitely a good learning experience for me as it gave me a lot of computer, and customer service experience that has and will most definitely continue to benefit me in my life.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough full time positions available
I enjoy the people I work with.
Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONMarch 7, 2016
There is an overwhelming degree of variance in the opinions people would have about this work environment. I think it was moderately fine. There's lot's of people in all age groups to associate with. The pay and hours are definitely lacking but the work is not very demanding. Management is vastly different between departments, but my managers were good spirited people who made it a fun environment to be in on most days.
The Deli in Sobeys Kincardine is very nice to work at, everyone is friendly and teaches you anything you need to know. Our managers are the best!!
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kincardine, ONJune 14, 2016
I do anything from slicing meat, to sweeping the floor, washing dishes, opening meat, filling up salads and olives etc. Sometimes you don't always get along with everyone but you are a team and try and work things out.
Pros
easy to get to
Cons
not very clean
It's great place to work for vary possessive and active people
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 19, 2016
Sobeys is a great place for work , all the members are so cooperative, helpful and hardworking , i personally really enjoy working with them best wishes to them in future too .
Pros
hard working, cooperative and positive environment
Cons
less hours to employees