Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,170 reviews matching the search
great place
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB7 February 2017
Sobeys is a great place they are very team oriented and offer competitive wages. The work is very people involved and you often have to deal with customers questions and complaints.
awesome coworkers to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2017
Sobeys is a very good company to work for. I never had any bad experiences . Awesome co-workers, excellent customers, and good benefits. You stand for periods of time, but it comes with the job. I would work for Sobeys again.
Pros
awesome job
Cons
standing sometimes hard on back and legs.
Good job until they gave me more hours then I asked for
Shelf Stocker, Customer Service and Inventory (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB6 February 2017
I had a great time working there the management was decent and treated me well, until they started giving me more hours then I asked for which became too much to balance between school and work.
Pros
Sometimes we would get free lunch or breakfast
New learning experience
Bakery clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
It was a new and fun learning experience dealing with customers and handling their orders. Learning to restock shelves was the most challenging.
Great place to learn customer service skills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2017
Typical day is well balanced between people and work. Our front end manager is great and helpful. Everyone gets along and helps each other out. I enjoy being around everyone and being able to converse with people who come into the store. The hardest part of the job is having to find things to do on slow days to prepare the store for people to come in and shop happily and efficiently.
Safe, fun environment, and Great staff
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
Every morning the employees would sign in at the start of their shift. Than we grab a power jack or fork lift next we start on our work orders. There is always a supervisor on the floor or the main desk in the warehouse is always open for questions and help. Work in the warehouse is enjoyable the hardest part is keeping up with delivering orders on time. I like to finish my orders on time and I like working under low supervision.
learned alot but hard environment to work in
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB31 January 2017
mostly cake decorating at the moment and in the backery. work y myself most of time

learned how to decorate cakes, package all bakery products

direct management is reliable and knowledgable, store management is underqualified and exceptionally hard to work for

department segregation seems the norm

unpredictability of hours and shifts

like the people i work with and the customer relations, enjoy ability to be creative with the cakes
Pros
early off hours
Cons
unpredictibility
worked alone and was able to do all i needed to do
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
set up my double pallet jack and sign into the Loblaw computer headset, once signed in i would start by picking orders and place merchandise on my pallet, putting them in the shipper/receiving bay,
Would start the next order and continue the same thing till all the pieces and orders were picked for that day
Pros
worked alone
Cons
unfair expectations on pick order speed
Friendly and Safe Work Environment
PRODUCE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB30 January 2017
Worked with very friendly people and was an enjoyable experience as my first time being employed. Honestly not something I would want as a career but it was enjoyable nonetheless.
Shifts are far and few between
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON30 January 2017
Work/life balance is generally pretty good. Management is very poor, they do not have the knowledge/skill to management the department with efficiency.
It's an okay place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON30 January 2017
The benifits are great . It's a good company over all to work for but you have to be willing to give up a lot of your personal time , your schedule is different every week making it impossible to make appointments .
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Different schedule week to week
Good work place
full-time baker (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS29 January 2017
Sobeys can be a great place to work with competitive wages and good benefits. I learned a lot there about management, baking, seafood. For the most part the culture is everyone works as a team.
It always depends on management
Curtesy clerk (Former Employee) –  23rd and 50st29 January 2017
The hours were always never ready in advance they would always try and guilt trip me into working saying I have to work cause no one else wants to work they also wouldn't fire any slacking workers that would hide in the washroom or outside
Pros
Free food in the lunch room only if you work days
Cons
They are under a lot of stress so are you
Structured work place allowing a chance to move up, lacked proper training, and did very little to maintain employees.
Assistant Manager, Seafood Department (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 January 2017
Emphasized on chances to move up, lacked proper training, management rotation not advanced to its full potential, typically worked alone during the day as the department was small, the culture was very strict, making hard to work with positive energy, hardest part of the job would be to have a unskilled supervisor, most enjoyable part of the job, i got to work alone.
Personally I feel I was asked to do too much for the little time I had
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2017
Some days would be light work, then other days it would be hectic but I was able to finish my work every shift. Depending on what department you're in, some of the management were horrendous and did little to no work which angered most of the workers in said departments. The workplace could be fun at times depending on who was working at the time. The job demanded too much for the little pay I received. At first I didn't mind the work, but as I neared a year I hated going into work.
happy environment lots of good workers
Forklift and Dock Stocker Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton distribution centre27 January 2017
I started each day with a checklist for each machine operated by me throughout the day then i stretch for a few minutes,after i sign in my orders and begin my assignments.take my regular breaks and back to work until time to go home. I learned how to operate forklift high reach,Dock stocker,center rider and end riders also I did CPR and FIRST AID courses.learn about WHIMS. Management is good as long as you do your work you have no problem and I had a very good relationship with my supervisors and managers.We have a social committee and mostly everyone participated in group tours with our Friends at work and family at home.the hardest part of the job is to meet dead lines on a monthly basis but we always accomplished our dead lines.the most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers which seems like a family because we all helped each other and work as a team almost sixteen years together.
sobeys bakery
Bakery (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 January 2017
Managers do what they wan and leave all there work for the worker. Bad schedule because sometimes im working alone on a Saturday and its hard to get everything done by myself.
Pros
long lunch
friendly environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
This is a great place to work. friendly environment and everyone is supportive. flexible hours is a essential. Good management with following policy.
Productive and fun place to work
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
very fast passed job, customers are in high demand for produced goods. management needs to work on letting you the time off when necessary. Hardest part of the job I would say cleaning out the coolers for the vegetables.
Pros
8 hours a day
Cons
management is rough on employees
Productive and fun work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB23 January 2017
Its fun to work here and you get good hours. The management is considerate and is willing to work around your schedule when needed to. They have a great training program and it is good for a part time job.
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
standing for long periods of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.