Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice people!
HOT/COLD FOOD PREP & SALES (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Amazing co workers, typically not a lot of young adults/young teens, a lot of standing, cleaning, not a lot of talking to customers. Short break times.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Standing a lot
frontend supervisor
Customer Service Representative, Front (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 1, 2016
run all staff in the frontend. deal with money and customers. on the health and safety board of soebys st.vital. nothing of the job is hard for me causer nothing is hard for me. I love dealing with people
Positive work environment with friendly staff
Cashier/ Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 1, 2016
A excellent part time job that provides you with opportunities to learn and develop other skills that allow for growth in any position that you are in. Rewarding and satisfying work when dealing with customer service issues and other day to day tasks. A typical day consists of handling responsibilities such as dealing with large amounts of cash, respectively and efficiently ringing through customers and maintaining a clean and orderly workplace.
Pros
Friendly staff, Positive environment and satisfying work.
Cons
Can occasionally be strenuous on legs and back
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2016
This was my first job, and they hired me when I was just 13. I was given a lot of hours, and the training was very thorough. I worked in the produce department, so sometimes the lifting of the racks of food would be a little too heavy for me, but other than that, it was a great place to work.
Pros
lots of hours in the summer
Cons
heavy lifting
Great flexability and a lot of chances to improve
Meat Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 29, 2016
The work was the same on a regular basis. The environment was generally positive which encouraged the employees to strive to excel at each task. Overall, management is very understanding and constantly stress the importance of company standards.
Pros
Great hour flexibility
Cons
Energetic atmosphere with great co workers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 28, 2016
I liked opening up and being first on the cash register. The quiet before the busy day was really relaxing. But I will say that the hardest part of the job was standing up for hours when the lines wouldn't stop.
Pros
Two lunch breaks.
Cons
Standing on feet for long hours.
Productive and fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  1440 52 Street NeMay 27, 2016
It was a very good experience. This place has a great manager and coworkers, I really enjoyed working here. They made me feel comfortable and happy. They provide excellent training.
very fun place to work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tormore, ONMay 25, 2016
Sobeys is a very fun place to work, everyone is friendly, and they give you the days off that you need, Co-works are happy to help when you have a problem.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
Slow paced but easy going
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 25, 2016
My job at Sobeys was a very boring and repetitive job. Learned mostly about customer service. The individuals I worked with were very easy going but slow paced. I would like to work in a more fast paced environment to build my skills as a worker.
good friends
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 25, 2016
Not for me anymore. Management has ruined the moral of this huge company and i need a change, We are all just numbers and not people. I had a passion for working for this company but would rather work in a caring company.
Good platform for students to start on, however...
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 24, 2016
The job is simple and straightforward. At certain times you would have to lift heavy boxes and pick up heavy items in order to clean. Job becomes mundane after a while since every day is pretty much identical with minimal change. Expect to clean a lot, meaning the entire facility. Management is not the best. Co-workers are much better than the management though, so there is solace in that.
Pros
Cons
mundane work
Fun environment/work place to work at
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Acton, ONMay 23, 2016
Although the long hours suck and you don't get any discounts, the people I usually work with are really nice ad the manager of the deli is quite understanding. She allows you to talk to her about anything and she is there to listen to everything you have to say. I like the fact that when I need time off, I get it off and I have become a very loyal employ and I have overall become a great person to be around due to the family of loving and caring employee's that I have worked with in the Deli at Acton Sobeys
Pros
the people that work with you and along with you are really nice
Cons
Long hours, No discounts
Positive but Disorganized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 18, 2016
I started working part-time in the bakery shortly after I began my first semester at college. After baking for Tim Hortons for nearly three years prior to this job, it seemed like a vacation getaway in comparison. 30 minutes for lunch? Not having to strategically plan out bathroom breaks? It was like a dream come true.

Alas, all shops have their problems and Sobeys is no exception. I'm very fortunate to be a quick learner, and someone who is confident in my decisions. My training was very brief and unfortunately I had to make a lot of educated guesses as to how things should be done when I was working by myself. After being there for over a year, I'm 100% comfortable with any task I should happen to carry out, but the first couple of months were interesting. I see this trend continue as I train new employees, and have taken it upon myself to type up instructions or reminders to make the process of closing easier for the poor 16 year-olds who have only had 3 training shifts (closers work alone.)

Selling specialty items is my favourite part of this job, especially helping customers order their ideal cakes and desserts based on the occasion. It allows me to talk to the customer, offering them ideas and explaining what we're able to do for them in terms of custom desserts; it's quite fun, really. I've asked to be trained on actual cake decorating many times, but for now I just write on birthday cakes when requested.

The job as a whole is physically demanding but nothing I can't handle. I feel accomplished at the end of the day, knowing I've put in the effort and I've
  more... left the department in better shape than I found it. My biggest criticism would be that the bakery is the only department in our store that leaves a single person to close shop every night. If it's busy and customers are approaching me often, then there's simply no chance of leaving when I'm scheduled to. I often cannot take my breaks and stay 30 minutes - 1 hour late in an attempt to get everything done.

Tensions are high in the bakery due to the shortage of hours....Sobeys likes to hire many people and give them 12 hrs/week instead of a couple full-time employees. This makes consistency nearly impossible and honestly, it's frustrating that the company is willing to do this instead of just giving their long-time workers enough hours to earn a living because they're too cheap to give us benefits. I need another part-time job (or completely different full-time job) just to pay the rent.

Overall it's not a bad job at all. My co-workers are really positive and friendly, and I feel safe within my workplace.
Pros
Good environment, nice customers, fun job, tasty samples.
Cons
Not enough hours, disorganized, "fend for yourself" atmosphere.
Friendly people makes an enjoyable place to work
HMR hot foods (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 18, 2016
I find working in the HMR department to be a good place to work. The staff is friendly and I have learned so much. I know how to make all the hot foods in the Home Meal Replacement, from the chickens to the wedges, tenders, wings and sides. The manager in HMR is a very nice person and open to suggestions. For me the hardest part of the job is remembering all the codes and different things to cook, but I think I have it almost done pat. I find serving the customers my most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Always something to do.
Cons
Haven't discovered the cons yet.
Sobys
Cashier clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 17, 2016
Unfortunately they need you only with the rush hours
15,min break not enough
low paid
nothing competitive to work there ,also, the management is not good enough, there are many employees very nice,but the most of them they don't know each other
Overall a good place to work.
Intermediate Business Technologist (Former Employee) –  Saanichton, BCMay 17, 2016
Working with Sobeys was mostly a positive experience. In the beginning there were lots of opportunities to further personal development, but as time went on those opportunities became less and less. The environment provided a great team experience as well as excellent direct supervision. I learned a lot from my team members and supervisors.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Lack of leadership from execuative
Friendly work environment
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMay 17, 2016
- Hardest part of the job was the night shift hours. Adjusting my sleep schedule to work during the night and sleep during the day.
- A typical day at work included driving an End Rider through the aisles, loading the product onto the pallets only then to wrap it up and load it onto the dock.
Pros
Friendly, down to earth co-workers
Cons
Vocalect device did not function consistently well
easy job
Admin/ Seafood clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 16, 2016
dealing with customer everyday makes the job exciting, make a customer happy brings great joy. Some manager are easier than other to work for and co workers make it fun place to be
Experience at Sobey
Bakery (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
My experience at Sobeys wasn't that good. I didn't get a lot of hours, wasn't a very nice environment to be around. I did learn a lot like how to deal with difficult situations, how to close...etc. My co-workers were all rude and would talk behind everyone's back. The hardest part of my job would've been trying to make donuts perfect. And, the most enjoyable was working with cakes and lots of nice costumers.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
No hours
Good place for your first job
Cashier/Courtesy worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 11, 2016
Sobeys is a great place to break into the working world, the work gets quite repudiative. Otherwise a great place to enter the work force and gain experience.
Pros
simple, great starter job
Cons
repudiative, mentally draining work