Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,260 reviews matching the search
Good started job
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
While I worked at Sobeys for the first few years, they started giving me less and less hours. Sometimes I only got 1 shift a week, sometimes none. It's a good starter job, but that's about it.
alright place for a first job
A la carte clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2017
When you first start the job its very stressful but it gets better with time. The management is nice and everyone is for the most part friendly. I enjoyed working here.
Friendly and predictable
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
Working at Sobeys has proven to be a warm and friendly experience, thanks to many of the employees and customers. It is clear what is expected of you and there are never any surprises or unexpected tasks thrown at you.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Good company
Warehouse Operations Employee (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 May 2017
Sobeys is a great place to work. Management made the effort to help those with urgent matters. Get your work done and encourage team work. Also offers a competitive benefit package.
Pros
great supervisory staff
Cons
seasonal demands
Had a great experience meeting lots of new people
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  High River, AB30 April 2017
Most enjoyable part of this job was dealing with customers. Sobeys does have a great way of ensuring that customer service is of the highest quality .
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NB29 April 2017
In my time at Sobeys, I enjoyed peaceful breaks and intense workloads. However, this was helpful in learning how to manage both my time and emotions. Overall, working at Sobeys was a beneficial experience.
Overall a decent job
Grocery personnel (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2017
Sobeys was simply a job for me during my highschool years. It had the perfect flexiblility and there was no shortage of hours for those willing to work hard. And although I did not get raises when I was supposed to I found the management staff to be very friendly and easy to work with.
Stock shelves
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB27 April 2017
Not bad, need more hours and would like to apprentice for something else. Managment could be better to the employees. Good first job but I want something different now.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Friendly and understanding
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON26 April 2017
Working at sobeys was enjoyable for me. They are very understanding if you need help with something at work and booking time off is easy. The management and other staff are friendly and helpful people that will assist you in any way they can.
Pros
Good work environment, good hours, clean
Cons
Some customers are rude
Didn't work there long enough.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS26 April 2017
I didn't work there long enough, it was just a work experience that I needed to do for school. I helped with the scholarship applications and they were done before the five week work term was up.
Pros
Great cafeteria and workout room
Cons
Didn't work there long enough to see any.
Sobeys provided myself with a wonderful job, and lovely work environment
FILE MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS24 April 2017
Sobeys was an amazing store to work at. From the beginning I always felt welcomed, and respected. The training provided for me was amazing, the staff was very helpful, and wonderful to work with. The managers there were also very understanding, and friendly. There was nothing I did not like about my job! My days were always busy and fast-paced, which I enjoyed. I learned a lot of things from it, mostly to do with how to be better at customer service because I had to help the public, and other department managers the majority of the time.
Pros
The enviroment
fun workplace
Retail Merchandiser - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2017
Nice place to work with good management and flexible hours .
I enjoy my work , only one thing I wish is wages increase. supportive management. Chances of progress
Interesting work experience
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2017
A typical day at work involves stocking and organizing the produce section. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to and assisting customers.
Great entry level job
Front End and Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON22 April 2017
The job was a great starter job and although i had different positions throughout the store, they always found a way to balance my schedule. Hardest part about the job was the limited number of hours I got.
Pros
Very accommodating, clean and comfortable place to work
Cons
Not enough hours to go around
Good place to work, lots of nice coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 April 2017
Nice place to work, very understanding about working around school, can be a very repetitive and stand still job but there is usually something to be doing.
Pros
Great scheduling
Cons
Occasional favoritism
bad
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB21 April 2017
terrible place to work, only worked there for a month and was treated very porley, no room to advanc with the company, my mother has been with sobeys for over 25 years and is still part time.
Little or no communication because work will always keep you busy.
Assistant Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
A typical day at work is spending endless hours on replying to emails besides working on reports.

I learned how to work to my limits while managing time at the same time.

Poor management due to continuous transition since the takeover. Lack of communication and direction has caused a huge deal of losses to this company. Most managers do not take accountability. New projects are undertaken with no clarity of results.

Work life balance was below average as the company is always understaffed, resulting into more work added on to the limited number of employees. Due to these reasons, there is a high 'employee turnover' rate in this company.

Hardest part was to assimilate to one particular way of doing things as the senior management constantly changed methods to be more efficient.

The enjoyable part in the management team was that we used to get expensive grocery product samples to taste and take home if left. Besides that, I enjoyed playing in corporate challenge tournaments.
Pros
Free lunch for Christmas, Stampede. Lots of grocery samples, Salary
Cons
Excessive Overload, Understaffed, No fun activities other than corporate sports tournament
Good experience with powered pallet jacks and time management.
Order Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2017
Over all it was steady and easy to learn, it just felt as if the job was always over crowded and people were easily agitated. Coworkers would have to rush around you or get angry when you were fresh in the learning process as they had been on a faster time crunch. In the end, working at this warehouse turned out to be a nice routine once the steep learning curve is over.
Pros
Often half days or lots of over time
Cons
Must learn the job quick
Decent, but no discount and poor management
Juice bar (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 April 2017
Sobeys is my first job which was fine in the beginning but I got sick of it really fast. My so called manager ignored my text concerning my work hours, wouldnt help me when people from work kept texting me, and tends to seem like hes annoyed with me every time i ask him a work related question. Nobody knew where the first aid kit was for the first few months of the store opening. I accidentily scraped my hand at work and one of the other managers didn't know where the first aid kit was either. A sink came apart as a fellow worker was using it and it shot water everywhere. The store is horribly managed in every way. I wouldn't suggest working here at all. At least not for very long.
Pros
Free wifi. Good break time. Generally nice people
Cons
Terrible management team. No discount. 5 piece uniform
Friendly Envirionment
Produce Associate (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON14 April 2017
Good management and modern environment with a variety of products. For holidays, the team of employees and managers would have a brunch provided by the staff members.
Pros
generous break times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.