Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,207 reviews matching the search
Ok
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 March 2017
It's okay for getting by or a part-time gig. The job requires standing for long hours and cashing customers out, occasionally dealing with customer complaints and refunds.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay
Good family environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 March 2017
Very fun to work at. Made allot of close friends and was very nice to see familiar customers during shifts. The day can get long when there are a lot of clients in line at once.
had its good and bad days
Freight handler (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB17 March 2017
this job was very long hours for an ok pay rate was my first job and a very hard one at that working 3 in the morning till 1 or 3 in the afternoon didnt leave till thejob was finished
Mediocre
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON16 March 2017
The job itself was simple and I loved how I formed long lasting relationships with customers but I didn't get very good hours and the management was very rude and disorganized. However this was only in my department. The other departments are wonderful to work for.
Really good place to learn about being a pharmacy technician
Pharmacy Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB15 March 2017
*a typical day at work
Everything from greeting customers at intake to dispensing the prescription at the cash. I'm usually the one putting our orders away and recording on log once done. I'm getting more comfortable with ordering at the end of the afternoon. Usual routine is cleaning the dispensing area every night and making sure sinks and garbage are emptied and cleaned.

*what I learned
Everyday, I'm learning on how to become an efficient pharmacy assistant. Working with the public can be trying at times. I'm getting better at not taking anything personal when a customer lashes out. Most of the customers are sick and they just want to get their prescriptions an go home to rest.

*management
Management at Sobeys is very supportive. They work in the store like regular employees and are visible to customers.

*workplace culture
The culture at Sobeys is work hard, keep things confidential, do the best you can and keep asking questions if you don't understand.

*the hardest part of the job
The hardest part of the job, I feel, is that I'm still learning and that there are many moving pieces at preparing prescriptions. Some days, I forget stuff that I shouldn't be forgetting and it can get frustrating. I have to remind myself that I'm still new at the job but I never get discouraged.

*the most enjoyable part of the job
For me is when you know that a client has been well served. Their questions have been answered and their prescriptions were ready on a timely manner.
Pros
Friendly staff; shoppers are very satisfied shopping there.
Cons
N/A
very welcoming environment
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON14 March 2017
During your day at work you interact with other produce associates. I learned how to work independently. Management was good, very understanding. The hardest part of the job was having to stand on my feet for 8 hours straight. The most enjoyable part was the people, they were very easy to get along with.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
it was ok wouldnt work for sobeys again though
Cake Decorator/front end (Former Employee) –  winnnipeg14 March 2017
when I worked for sobeys it was good for the first year but then started to get annoyed with the place i wish managers would stick up more for there employees had alot of customers that were rude and wrong and we be the ones getting into trouble to the point i just want to walk out.

i wish they had more full time jobs my hrs and would vary alot and it got a bit hard having a life this job better for teenagers needed some extra cash or seniors needed part time work.

what i miss about working there was my coworkers and some customers i met there the store closed down but out of all the sobeys that one was the most nicest and friendly staff there and was hard saying goodbye.

One of the things im not going to miss was customers shop lifting i stopped so many shoplifters there at one point i thought i was more of a security guard then cake decorator instead hiring a security guard we always had to watch the doors and wasnt the best area you think they would have one especially at night.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
shifts always changed, people shop lifting so much always had to watch the front
good job
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 March 2017
fun job, learned good customer service skills. I like to help out customers in any way that i can. I serve cakes and cupcakes, i find the job to be very easy
Good team atmosphere
Cashier, front end supervisor, opening manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2017
As a front end supervisor and opening manager I was able to work perfect hours. There is always room to advance and grow. I was able to advance my mathematical and computer skills
Pros
Early hours
Cons
Weekend
There is alot of opportunity to grow
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 March 2017
I was a department manger there for 5 years , It was an excellent opportunity to learn the grocery industry, as well as work in several different departments in the store.

Want to know more about Sobeys?

Ask a question
Good working atmosphere.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON14 March 2017
this Company treated me with respect, with the heavy work load all employees were very polite to customers and management treated every person as an important part of the company.
Pros
physical
Cons
bangs and bruises
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 March 2017
A typical day at Sobey's is pretty basic, you have your great customers who make your shift that much better, and you have your difficult customers who make things a little more rough.
This specific store, there's not too much room for advancement.
With Sobey's, they who have seniority have much more leniance, even if they're hurting the company, and it's very frustrating for the newer workers.
Pros
Benefits, Great Customer Service
Cons
Hard to advance, seniority is huge
Productive Work Place
Baker (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB10 March 2017
The fellow employees are great to work with. The amount of hours that are provided for employees are plenty and the hourly wage corresponds well with the job.
Pros
Good wage
good part time job
A La Carte (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 March 2017
it was a decent part time job when I was in high school.As of now I would not want to work there full time or part time as a student. Sobeys is a good beginner job, but not a middle class job.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad hours
Work was hard and labourious
Front-end Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB10 March 2017
I put many hours into a company that never recognized me for what I was able to do for them. I learned that they never played fair in decisions made and that my experience meant nothing to them.
Hardest part of the job was when I had to leave on my own terms because I was set up to fail.
The only enjoyable part of the job was decorating cakes and dealing with customer relations for the bakery.
Pros
store discount
Cons
long horrible hours working for ungrateful people that always managed to get ahead.
Great place to learn essentials in the workplace.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 March 2017
Sobeys was a great stepping stone. It taught me time management, how to work with others, organization and most of all the specific skills in how to deal with customers.
Cons
Pay
Did not pay me as promised
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB9 March 2017
Although they did not have to pay me as it was for work experience through High School they promised me a paycheque for what I did and never received.
Relatively a safe and enjoyable work place with great benefits.
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON9 March 2017
When everyone works together, everything gets done and we leave early if we want depending on the management's discretion. Always plenty of extra leisure activities and the option to advance up into the company.
Pros
Guaranteed hours and good pay
Cons
Some management team can be malicious.
company failed fundamental improvment and closed warehousing
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON8 March 2017
simply, upper management didn't remove the minority of problem employees who ultimately took down the job's of the employees who came to work fit for duty and not engaged in drug use and harassing behaviour's.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
office politics and substance usage enforcment ignored
clean, safe and friendly work environment.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baker Drive, NS8 March 2017
A typical shift at Sobeys ranged from a calm slow shift to steady work flow during peak customer shopping hours.

All staff was very friendly and I found it easy to make workplace friends quickly.Managers were clear in giving instruction to department workers and all needs and safety training/equipment was provided by Sobeys.

During my time at Sobeys, I learned/improved many new skills such as

- safe food handling
- communication
- maintaining a clean and safe work environment
- working with customers to meet their need(s).

Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting customers and seeing that all their needs are met.

Least enjoyable part was throwing out waste.
Pros
Friendly and safe work environment.
Cons
Poor marketing techniques and advertising

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.