Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work!
Cashier/ Food Demonstrator (Current Employee), Bridgewater, NSMarch 2, 2016
Pros: Awesome Co-workers
Cons: Long shifts
My favorite thing about working at Sobeys is the employees, they all care about you, and they become your family. A typical day would be asking the supervisor what cash register number you're at, going down to set up, grabbing your first customer, ringing in groceries until they let you go for your break, then doing the same until you get off. They handle situations very professionally.
Not the greatest time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Acton, ONMarch 2, 2016
Pros: great people
Cons: not fair
Working at Sobeys was great at first, I met some really great people. After working at Sobeys for a year I decided to quit. I was asked to be a supervisor with no raise and other workers were being paid more than me and doing less, I didn't find that fair.
Fun place to work, kept busy
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Rocky Mountain House, ABMarch 2, 2016
Cons: Needed a higher salary
I learned how to decorate cakes, slice bread, deal with the register, customers, and cleaning. I always had a job to do, and that's what I admired most about this job.
HMR clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at sobeys is quite busy overall. I learned a lot from how to handle certain equipment to how to do FIM and stock to learning the different odds and ends in my department. Everyone got treated like family.
Overall a nice place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 26, 2016
I think that overall this wasn't an overall difficult place to work, I got along with most of my co-workers but I found I was frequently getting pulled into work days I wasn't scheduled for and they called me last minute. This is the reason I left but overall it is a clean and well maintained grocery store and I would recommend the Job to other youth looking for a first job.
customer service and the fast pace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Pros: The work experiment with co-workers and customers
Cons: The uniforms while being pregnant
I would open and place tills / lottery
make sure my cashiers know their duties.
answer phone calls, deals with customer returns
open deliver boxes and merchandise the tills

management was strict and efficient

never had a hardest part of my job because I could over come it and learn from the experience

I enjoyed the environment and the friendly staff. So I was always looking forward to work.
Butcher (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLFebruary 21, 2016
While my co-workers were good to work with, the manager was a disreputable person who I did not trust to have my interests or the the customers interest at heart.
not recommended to work there
HMR (Current Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Pros: flexible with hours or days worked at times
Cons: very hard to get a full time contract
Only give you two days notice of your following weeks schedule.

Low staffing, high work load.

no appreciation of workers commitment and hard work at all
Good place to work for but no consistency from Upper Management.
Produce Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2016
Pros: Friendly work area
Cons: staffs dictating when they can work.
Managers are too light to the staffs who are friends with them, No consistency from the store managers, district managers, zone managers which makes the job harder.
Great staff & wonderful working environment.
Laborer (Former Employee), Miramichi, NBFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours & friendly staff
Cons: Fair amount of heavy lifting
Typical day involves making a wide array of baked goods, the demand of which varies from day to day along with specials/sales.

Learned management skills and customer relations.

Co-workers are great people who are always flexible and willing to help whenever needed.

Hardest part of the job would easily be trying to get a wide number of things baked with limited time & space.

Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the wonderful co-workers.
Unfair
Cashier (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSFebruary 12, 2016
Pros: Christmas bonus
Cons: No benefits
The management was very unfair.
Choose favorites frequently.
Seniority doesnt mean anything to them.
treat you like a child and yell at you in front of customers.
Overall friendly place to work
Produce Clerk & Bakery Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEFebruary 9, 2016
I mostly worked in the bakery, which was perfect fit for me because I tend to be on the more creative side of things and thoroughly enjoy cake decorating. My co workers were great and there was never any drama. I enjoyed being there both because of the work and because of the overall atmosphere. If I could still be working there (however, factors that are causing me to relocate) I would be.
Fun
Front End Packer and a Deli worker (Former Employee), Alcona Beach, ONFebruary 7, 2016
I would usually push buggies all day. which was fun and productive. but if the weather was bad the day would have been bad. The co-workers are really nice there.
great people to work with
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 5, 2016
This job was only part time and towards the end I was not getting enough hours (went down to about 11 hours a week).
Although my hours were cut; it was still a great place to work and I enjoyed working with my coworkers very much.
An okay work environment but a bit toxic in terms of management/worker relations
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSFebruary 5, 2016
Pros: Flexibility with shifts and work hours
Cons: Stressful most of the time
It was an okay job to be honest, very flexible especially if you're a part timer. But there was a fundamental distrust between management and the workers that sparked a lot of competition and made things uncomfortable and stressful. I personally didn't agree with a lot of company decisions, such as their prices. Since the 2 years that I started working there, they had been raised to ridiculous amounts for all their store made products, and at quantity and quality that simply wasn't worth the asking price in my eyes. I didn't feel good and took no pride working for a company like this, having to search for excuses to tell customers, and so I quit.
A day in a few words
Cook/H.M.R. Clerk (Current Employee), Pelham, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: You can learn a lot about different foods
Cons: Food waste
A typical day at Sobeys really depends on what department they have you working in. The odds are, there is a spot for you here!
Great for a first job.
Cashier/Receiving (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABFebruary 1, 2016
I really enjoyed my time spend at sobeys but im looking for something more fulfilling.
If you work hand and show that your responsible with your time and everyone elses then you wont have a problem moving up the ladder.
Productive and Friendly workplace
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 29, 2016
My job consisted of preparation and safe handling of products sold in the Salad Bar.
A typical Day at work would consist of
-prepping the food
-cutting/dicing the food
-preparing the food
-labelling
-Cleaning/sanitizing
I learned a lot about customer service and and attaining to the customers needs as the customer is always right! I also learned about keeping a clean and tidy work area and handling food correctly and safely.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with different people and interacting with customers!
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Opportunity for promotion
Cons: No cons
I have worked for FreshCo for numerous years and I am pleased with all that I have learned and experienced during my time there.
Good place and good people
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2016
It was a good work environment and i gained valuable work experience dealing with people and cash transactions. Good coworkers but the management could learn to appreciate their employees more.