Sobeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Not the greatest time.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Acton, ONMarch 2, 2016
Working at Sobeys was great at first, I met some really great people. After working at Sobeys for a year I decided to quit. I was asked to be a supervisor with no raise and other workers were being paid more than me and doing less, I didn't find that fair.
Pros
great people
Cons
not fair
fun and productive
Meat Cutter (Part-Time)) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
nice to work,enjoyable parts is during evening before closing.Co employees are good and lots of meats to cut and to be package. The hardest work here is cleaning because lots of costumer coming and still you should have to finish cleaning before closing.
Fast Pace Enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONDecember 3, 2015
Working as sobeys was always a joy because of its fast pace enviroment we were never standing around doing nothing and customers would always be flowing through the tills. All my co-workers were extremely welcoming and kind. I actually found it fun bagging groceries it became like a game in my head. The hours were perfectly fit to work around my school schedule and there were lots of open shifts if you wanted to pick up a couple extra hours.
Cons
Distane to drive
Great place to work, great co-wrkers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONDecember 28, 2015
Sobeys was a great place to work. My day would usual start early in the mornings on weekends till early afternoon. I was responsible for making sure all the meat & cheese remained fresh and stocked. As well as making special orders and servings customers. When I worked the night shifts was responsible for serving customers, cleaning up and shutting down all the equipment and wrapping the meat and cheese before closing. Most of my co-workers in the deli were older but they were very friendly and fun to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli would have to be the early morning shifts preparing everything for the rest of the day in such a short time period. The most enjoyable part of the job by far was talking to the customers and my co-workers. Everybody at sobeys was so welcoming and nice. Just a really great place to work.
Slow paced but easy going
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 25, 2016
My job at Sobeys was a very boring and repetitive job. Learned mostly about customer service. The individuals I worked with were very easy going but slow paced. I would like to work in a more fast paced environment to build my skills as a worker.
Enjoyed my job ,would have retired there if our store wuld not have closed.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Stephen, NBJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at Sobeys for me ,was helping from anything to getting production done and out to paper work (ordering ,receiving ,returning ).Taking over for manager on her days off ,over seeing other co-workers .
Pros
Great learning experince
Cons
Some of the paper work (always changing )
Good place to work for but no consistency from Upper Management.
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2016
Managers are too light to the staffs who are friends with them, No consistency from the store managers, district managers, zone managers which makes the job harder.
Pros
Friendly work area
Cons
staffs dictating when they can work.
Don't treat staff good with disabilities
Meat cutter (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, ABMarch 31, 2016
Every day was a routine for me which I liked, I knew what to expect. I was the early morning opening meat cutter which consisted of putting the band saw and grinder together and taking temps. And product rotation spot checks and cutting. Plus wrapping. The problem was lazy co workers who wouldn't help wrap or help with the seafood or gourmet sections, just cut meat? A meat cutter has to do more now a days. But Certain cutters wouldn't. The management was poor, assistant store manager grumpy, swore a lot at his grocery staff in the warehouse when he would round them up for a meeting. although my meat manager was nice, worked with her for over ten years. I was only supposed to be part time because of severe anxiety/depression panic attack. But would frequently get seven days in a row week after week. I got burned out. They let me go for refusing to do an unsafe job, long story. After over ten years with the company I wasn't valued at all.
Pros
Morning hours
Cons
Employees not valued, replaceable
Not a good work environment
Pizza Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 15, 2016
Management was terrible, entire team would be yelled at and sworn at.. fount it very unprofessional and an unhealthy work environment. I worked there for 3 months before finally quitting because I was getting so stressed out.
Fast, productive corporate enviroment.
Merchandising/Advertising CoOrdinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
This was a great place to work, the starting salary was ideal and the end salary was great. The environment was ideal and the respective staff for the most part were very personable and friendly/polite.
Pros
Activities and Excursions often
Cons
Long Hours
Fun place to work with great employees
Sobeys Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 1, 2016
Great store to work especially if you are trying to build customer service experience. Hardest part is fitting time to do all your tasks because some days are busier than others.
Cons
No employee discount.
sobeys review
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
sobeys put me through a deep depression as i did not see any chance to move up further in the company and I slowly started to see my doctor, I am feeling alot better now and am willing to work at a job that doesnt require doing 3 jobs as i am only paid for one.
Pros
Cons
long hours, not enough break time
Love my customers
Manager in Charge/ Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoy seeing my customers and being able to be friendly with my regular customers I see. Our store has been through 9 store managers in the last 3 yrs so has made for low moral.. so not making a very good work environment at the time being
productive place to wrok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABMarch 3, 2016
count cash float set up register check out peoples items at cash register clean up work area cash out
how to work a cash register (first cashier job)
quiet kept to himself
fun friendly helpful
cash float
chatty happy customers
not recommended to work there
HMR (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Only give you two days notice of your following weeks schedule.

Low staffing, high work load.

no appreciation of workers commitment and hard work at all
Pros
flexible with hours or days worked at times
Cons
very hard to get a full time contract
great job
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBApril 19, 2016
I really enjoyed cake decorating and really found my passion. before working at sobeys I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, I came out of that job determined to go into pastry arts some day and open my own bakery
friendly place to work
Baker helper (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABApril 8, 2016
Everyone is friendly, willing to help if you have any questions, everyone works well as a team, its fast paced, and its a simple job to do.
Pros
training courses
Cons
working on weekends is a mandatory at least once a month
Fun, fast paced environment, well managed
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 9, 2016
Sobeys Inc. has been a very enjoyable work place. A typical day at work requires me to be on the floor 10 minutes before my scheduled time to be sure that I'm prepared for my day. I must have a pen and a clean work station as well as to be dressed appropriately. I serve countless people in the run of a day(which is typically between 6 and 8 hours). I have learned many techniques for problem solving. My management makes sure that we have monthly meetings to discuss progress and problems and to make sure we are all on the same page and come up with solutions. My co-workers and I all get along wonderfully and we always try to help one another when need be. It is an amazing work environment to be in. The hardest part of my job is most definitely trying to cope with the elderly customers we get who are beginning to suffer from dementia. It hurts to watch them struggle to remember their bank information. The most enjoyable would probably be the general contact I have with the public. I very much so enjoy polite conversation.
Always willing to learn
Assistant Produce Buyer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 4, 2015
Proficient and a good team leader. I have always gone over and above to get the job done.

I buy the local produce that is received in to the Edmonton Warehouse.

Always paid attention to service level and shrink.
Pros
lets me have a good relationship with the vendors
Cons
get the job done even if its going over and above
Sobey's
Supervisor/Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Sobey's provides a great work culture. The employees are extremely delightful, and the managers are very hands-on and appreciate the hard work employees do.
Pros
Managers make work hours flexible for post-secondary students !
Cons
No discount for employees