Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 1,037 reviews matching the search
Enjoyable work place in a fast-paced environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Paris, ON10 June 2016
Aside from dealing with the odd nasty customer who is inpatient and unappreciative of the work done as a cashier,the job and customers were quite good. Management is great - mostly understanding and accommodating. Hardest part of the job was probably starting customer service and learning to multitask. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with great friends and getting to know the members of the community since I worked in a small town Sobeys.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Customers can be quite rude
Productive, fun place to work
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 November 2016
Always something to do, good customers, was fun working with flowers, worked on my own a lot(I personally didn't mind), was therapeutic at times. Management was nice and friendly, however they are the sole reason for my departure. You're in water a lot, your hands are frequently cold, you have dirt under your nails almost always.
Productive and fast paced work environment.
Cashier/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB23 March 2016
A typical day at Sobeys includes a good team effort to maintain the produce department and checking for quality constantly. Keeping the produce department as organized and tidy as possible for a better shopping experience for customers. Providing excellent customer service and answering any questions customers have to the best of my knowledge. I have learned great customer service skills through this company and how to be an active team member. My customer service skills have become exceptionally better by working for Sobeys. Management at Sobeys is organized and are always looking out for their employees. Co-workers are friendly and work well as a team. Everyone pulls their weight and does their absolute best to make sure the department is well maintained, as well as the produce back shop. Other departments work together to create an all around friendly, upbeat work environment. The hardest part of working for Sobeys is issue they have with staffing. The produce department is incredibly under staffed which would put stress on those working especially when the day got busy. The most enjoyable part of working for Sobeys would be the people. Even on the bad days the staff would all come together as a team and work to the best of their ability. It is a big family atmosphere.
Pros
Staff sample days, pay raise every 500 hours, yearly bonus.
Cons
Under staffed, no full-time positions offered.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 August 2016
cashier

i would scan items in order for people to pay for them and handle cash at various times throughout my shift. When there was a break in a rush we would have to clean our areas and invite people to come to our checkout.

The co workers were nice and fun to work with, but the managers were tolerable and i listened to them every time they gave orders, they were just not nice at many times
Pros
good work environment
Good company, good benefits
Cash Office Supervisor/baker/cake decorator (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB14 June 2016
I had a good 21 years at Sobeys. It was a good work environment for the most part. It was most definitely a good learning experience for me as it gave me a lot of computer, and customer service experience that has and will most definitely continue to benefit me in my life.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough full time positions available
Fast paced fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Blairmore, Alberta18 October 2016
I learnt a lot at my time working at Sobeys. I learnt how to quickly cut and prepare food, clean up my station super good, how to work efficiently under stressful situations, and especially how to let grumpy coworkers slide.
Pros
good pay, breaks
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Fun environment/work place to work at
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Acton, ON23 May 2016
Although the long hours suck and you don't get any discounts, the people I usually work with are really nice ad the manager of the deli is quite understanding. She allows you to talk to her about anything and she is there to listen to everything you have to say. I like the fact that when I need time off, I get it off and I have become a very loyal employ and I have overall become a great person to be around due to the family of loving and caring employee's that I have worked with in the Deli at Acton Sobeys
Pros
the people that work with you and along with you are really nice
Cons
Long hours, No discounts
Hard work with unreasonable expectations
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2016
I have written a review for Sobeys RSC Winnipeg 3 times now and it just keeps getting deleted!
The work as an Order Selector is brutal. They expect you to go so fast. If you are 18 to mid 20's and in really good shape you may find this place acceptable.
The equipment is very old and poorly maintained. The warehouse floor is crowded and it is hard to do your job in between the excess staff working and the many pallets blocking the isles.
They just signed their first union contract that is terrible and they agreed to 9 YEARS!
Pros
Nice hot inexpensive food in the onsite cafe.
Cons
Forced overtime, poor placement of items in warehouse making it hard to pick orders, poorly maintained machines
Fun, fast paced environment, well managed
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 May 2016
Sobeys Inc. has been a very enjoyable work place. A typical day at work requires me to be on the floor 10 minutes before my scheduled time to be sure that I'm prepared for my day. I must have a pen and a clean work station as well as to be dressed appropriately. I serve countless people in the run of a day(which is typically between 6 and 8 hours). I have learned many techniques for problem solving. My management makes sure that we have monthly meetings to discuss progress and problems and to make sure we are all on the same page and come up with solutions. My co-workers and I all get along wonderfully and we always try to help one another when need be. It is an amazing work environment to be in. The hardest part of my job is most definitely trying to cope with the elderly customers we get who are beginning to suffer from dementia. It hurts to watch them struggle to remember their bank information. The most enjoyable would probably be the general contact I have with the public. I very much so enjoy polite conversation.
Very repetitive and hard on the body
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 May 2016
I worked as a front end cashier at Sobeys. A regular work day consisted of constant customer service. Helping customers find products if they are having trouble, making them aware of sales in the store, returning products to their appropriate place in the store. Emptying garbage, keeping my work area clean and tidy, dealing with money, rain cheques, gift cards, etc. I helped out in the grocery department with stocking shelves and I also helped out at the courtesy desk periodically.
Pros
Sometimes free samples
Cons
Hard on the body from the repetitiveness, hard work with minimum pay and no benefits
Great management, comprehensive training, good environment
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 March 2016
The work environment at Sobey's was great, a lot of the veteran employee's were very patient and helpful. The management, both lower and senior, were very friendly and understanding. Training was good. Union membership and benefits were on par with the industry's best.

Some of the other warehouse employees weren't very good people, acted very short sighted manner on the job and made the day harder than it had to be.
Fun work place at most times sometimes very challenging
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2016
A typical day at work included serving customers, lots of cleaning and sometimes included paperwork. When it came to serving customers it included interacting with the customers and slicing the deli meat to their expectations. This was my first job so i gained lots of experience working with the public and how to deal with a high stress environment. My favourite part of the job would probably be getting to work with my coworkers everyday. I made some of my best friends working there. The most challenging part of the job was when my main manager resigned and my assistant manager was put in charge in the mean time, i was a senior in the department and took over the responsibilities of the assistant. In the end i resigned because i was able to get full time at another job and they were unable to give that to me.
Productive and adaptable tasks
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2016
Its challenging when it comes to all the cleaning, but it keeps me very busy! The co-workers I work with are great as well as the management. I enjoy engaging with the customers at Sobey's while i'm still finishing a task or project the most. When customers ask about certain pastries, food, cakes, or products that we sell in Sobey's I like to help them find what they are looking for and if I can't I will ask someone in another department so the customer is satisfied.
Very Clean and Great customer service
Front End Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2016
Great staff, always glad to help out customers with questions. Many paths one can take for future advancement. Spent most of time outdoors which has its pros and cons.
Pros
Free Lunches, great people to work with
Excellent place to work, really good
Supervisor at the Front End (Current Employee) –  McKenzie Towne, AB12 October 2016
It is a really good place to work, people is very good workers, management is at 100 %
I really enjoy work there, the only problem for my is the schedule time, I can"t be able to work on weekends
Good for students
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON11 October 2016
This is a good place for students to work. Workers often overworked and under-compensated. Management tends to be disorganized or disinterested in their jobs.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
disorganized
What a Nightmare...
Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2016
I worked at the Strathcona Sobeys for three years. I would not recommend working here, you will regret it.

I thought the company culture was very toxic, distasteful and unpleasant. I felt that the store manager treated employees like machines rather than people. I was pressured into working without rest; I rarely got to take my breaks, if at all. I was totally exhausted by the end of my shift. The work environment was also way too chaotic – high production volumes coupled with minimal staff created a very stressful experience.

The worst part of my experience here was the management. The store manager burdened us with very unrealistic expectations. We were expected to have everything absolutely perfect by the morning and were pressured into keeping impossible standards throughout the day. We would do our best, but it never seemed like enough. I never once received positive feedback or constructive criticism from her. I only remember backhanded comments that left me completely demoralized. The store manager was also infamous for being a severe micro-manager who often communicated through unprofessional, passive-aggressive letters. I felt extremely stressed out whenever she spoke with us directly and would try and actively avoid her. I felt she was not respected nor admired by many employees because of her demanding personality, and no one appreciated her incessant involvement in our work.

If anything, I loved my co-workers and my department manager. I would have quit ages ago if it weren't for them.
Pros
Good wage, decent benefits, stable work hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, time constraints, no breaks, terrible management, poor training, stressful environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 September 2016
- Great place to work.
- Exactly as expected after getting hired
- Vibrant Environment
- Very Clean and Prioritized to stay so.
- Many potential for Advancement, and opportunities
Pros
50%
Productive and fast pace workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 April 2016
The key trait that I learned from being a cashier at Sobeys was patience in dealing with all types of customers and learning how to provide the best possible customer service I can. Being an individual who makes friends quite easily has helped me to develop trusting and special relationships with my colleagues that have helped me to enjoy my job. The most difficult aspect of being a cashier at sobeys has been being in stressful situations involving unhappy customers and learning from experience how to calmly handle each unique situation.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
no benefits
Good company to work for
Grocery Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2016
I worked at Sobeys for 16 years
My job duties included:
Over seeing a staff of up to 45 people
Problem solving
Coaching / Counselling employee's
Ensured all orders were picked and shipped in a timely fashion
Corresponding with senior management helping to improve day to day productivity.
Pros
People
Cons
Not enough room for further growth