Sobeys Employee Reviews

Cashier/Administration (Current Employee) –  Grand Bend, ONNovember 19, 2015
code date reports for expired products
seniors delivery program for groceries

when a person did not show up, they called me to cover the shift
Pros
people I met
Cons
not enough hours
Productive, fast-pace job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 19, 2015
Typical day is very busy. I was lucky to have had great co-workers to help make the shift go by more smoothly. The hardest part of the job would be preparing everything for supper rush. My boss was very understanding.
Pros
Very busy, makes shift go quickly.
Cons
A lot of lifting and cleaning
Fun workplace, with poor managment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 19, 2015
Management takes advantage of their position, with a lot of politics and no benefits. But it can be a enjoyable place to work if you don't pay attention to the constant drama.
Pros
good break times
Cons
bad managment
midnight cashier/ stock person
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ONNovember 13, 2015
I was a full-time midnight cashier & stock person. Responsible for cashier duties, cleaning of front end as well as putting stock away and facing aisles.
Great work environment, did not receive enough hours.
Produce Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Digby, NSNovember 10, 2015
Great place to work, but did not supply me enough hours to stay. Was paying more for transportation, then I was making at this job. Could not afford to stay employed by Sobeys. The manager was very nice, and understanding of my situation.
Excellent place to work!
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  High River, ABNovember 4, 2015
I worked at Sobeys for almost a year. I had to quit because I was moving to another town. The staff is very friendly, as well as the management. It was a customer oriented workplace. The staff was always friendly, making sure the customers had what they wanted. It was incredibly easy to feel welcomed while working there
Dramatic departments where peopple talk about education
Deli/Kitchen Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Coming to work in Deli, usually doesn't give an opportunity to be productive because there isn't too many things to do. I only slice meats for customers for five hours but its rare to see a lot customers show up at once during those five hour period. But in Kitchen, you get the chance to be more productive. Its either that other staff give me a specific job to do or I do something until the time comes to start closing the kitchen down for a night.
In deli department I actually get to know olives and different sorts of meats that we serve. But in kitchen I actually get be more productive and use almost all my knowledge from kitchen department to do my job. Deli department only gives you an opportunity to learn the theories but you don't get the opportunity of putting the theories into reality like in Kitchen.
We do have shrink, rewrap, and bad label storages where we leave them for my manger to scan. We do shrink out products on the date before the best before date to keep products fresh.
Most co-workers use drama to communicate. It either overly complicates the situation or it forcibly requires the co-worker to be slower on what they do.
The hardest job is the most enjoyable because it allows me to always learn new things. One of those jobs is closing the Kitchen down. Every time I close the kitchen down, either being clean or dirty on that day I always find something new to clean and learn how to properly use the machine.
Retail job.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLNovember 2, 2015
As with any retail job, the hours are short, the pay is miserable and the management is less than respectable. My co-workers are very friendly and easy to get along with. Most of my days consist of obtaining carts in any weather, even snow storms.
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
Pay rate is low.
Produce Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKOctober 26, 2015
Sobeys is a wonderful place to work if youre going to school or have a second job on the go. the hours here are very flexible, and they work around your schedule. they also treat you like family at sobeys. Great benefits.
Good
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 25, 2015
Good working Environment, fast passed and very good staff to work with.

Very fun to be around people,

Not stressfull at all, just a good day at work which leads to me being able to accomplish more because of the experience i gain from my day to day activity.
Pros
Breaks, Long hours, customization hours.
Cons
Far too strict, and by the book
OK
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONOctober 25, 2015
the job was fine but management was not very good. Coworkers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part was making sure you got every thing done on time.
Pros
Free food in lunch room
Cons
management
5 Years As A Student
CASHIER, CUSTOMER SERVICE & SALAD BAR (Former Employee) –  SobeysOctober 22, 2015
I spent five years working at the Sobeys in my hometown. To begin, I was a cashier. I cannot say that at the age of 16 I was a stellar employee, I was involved in a time consuming sport and required a lot of time off. As the years progressed though, I did commit more time to the store because of financial needs during and shortly after university.

However, I found that I was unable to move out of a student role- I was rarely given more than 15 hours per week (inconvenient shifts of sometimes just 3 hours at night). Only when I offered to work midnights during the one night a week that they needed coverage, did I get extra hours. The scheduling seemed very skewed towards providing the older ladies the most convenient shifts- ie in the mornings. When I moved about 20 minutes away from the store I was sharing a car with my spouse. I requested that I work in the mornings or in longer shifts so that I wouldn't have to ride my bicycle for 40 minutes to get to work. This request was not accommodated, I was often scheduled in the middle of the day, sometimes for just 3 hours at a time.

I seized an opportunity to move into the salad bar. The cashier's manager was openly annoyed by this and I was told by other staff that she made many upsetting comments behind my back.

The salad bar was a whole different experience. The work and coworkers were much more enjoyable. However, the position was very stressful and had high turnover. Corporate set standards that we were consistently unable to meet and we took a lot of heat from our store manager for this. Hours were continuously cut,
  more... but production was expected in increase in quantity and quality.

Since I have left, both my direct manager, a coworker, and a coworker who went on to be the next manager have all left the store and or left the salad bar.

The pay is typically minimum wage, only full time employees seem to receive any sort of benefits, but they typically don't hire full time people. I would only recommend this organization to students, or people in between jobs. There is a chance that your local store will have a great manager willing to hire full time staff and develop them, but for the most part I would call this place a dead end.
Pros
flexibility- good for students or those looking for a small amount of hours
Cons
low pay, low hours, high stress depending on dept.
Not a perfect job but pays the bills.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 19, 2015
Daily shift fixed on a weekly basis;
good to learn management time;
good coleagues; hardwork;
manager not very good;
the hardest part is the cleaning;
Most enjoyable part is they never delay the payment.
N/A
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLOctober 14, 2015
My personal experience at Sobeys was a less then great experience. What I endured during my short time at Sobeys was unfair, un-calculated and disrespectful.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Non-flexible hours, Poor management, Disrespectful supervisors
I was the "cheese ambasador" employed FT in a new department
Cheese Ambassador, FT in-store (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ONOctober 13, 2015
A very satisfying, customer service oriented position, requiring sales and product knowledge.

A 40 hour scheduled position with a modern, cheese counter stocked with over 300 different cheeses from all over world.

Without a doubt, the customer service service and sharing of knowledge were the most rewarding spects of this aspect of this job.

I also was able to acheive an 80% sales increase over the previous year.
Pros
Daily, direct customer interaction
Cons
Co-worker interaction was at times strained...
Productive but poorly managed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABOctober 10, 2015
The store owner would wander around and tell you what to do even if you were currently working on something he had told the store manager to get you to do. It was just a very random job with some interesting customers and cool conversations.
Pros
Good food and diverse customers
Cons
Not so good managers
okay
Cashier & Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redwater, ABOctober 9, 2015
Job is great, friendly staff. Small community, nice people in town.
Not great pay, but good hours. organized place for the most part, newly taken over so not sure how it is now,.
Very repetitive
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ONOctober 3, 2015
Typically every day I worked with customers, made sandwiches, subs, chickens, and many other foods to be served in the deli. On the occasional day I went into the back to organize and sort boxes into the food freezer.
Fun staff members
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 3, 2015
Sobeys has been great to work at, sometimes you have to deal with customers who are little more difficult but over all people are great and helping customers at Sobeys is rewarding. My co-workers are great and everyone is very understanding to each other's needs and care about each other's growth and work.
Pros
shift work, working different hours, flexible
Cons
difficult customers
Sobeys - 4/5 stars
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Acton, ONOctober 1, 2015
Sobeys isn't a bad place to work. I enjoy most of the people that I work with. It has it's good and bad days. I've learned how to Supervise a fair amount of people at once usually 5-10 people each shift, Balancing the tills at the end of the night and making sure that safe is balanced every shift.
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Standing long hours, no employee discount